• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

1.04 changes??

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
^Nick Nasty? this is PRiDE.. pink yoshi main from brawl :)

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
*Me looking through the community patch notes*
*Sees Pac's Section*
Fresh Bair no longer launches hydrant.

LanceStern

Smash Lord
Pac Man is super unrepresented in the community. Let's leave a mark when Smash 4 releases.

Can someone help confirm Up smashes' increased ending lag. I've been punished many times now because I used to roll/jab out of up smash; can't do that anymore.

FAIR has had damaged reduced from 6% to 5% (tested in training mode)

Last edited:

LanceStern

Smash Lord
Hi Firedemon0 that's what I said. FAIR does 5% now instead of 6%.

I get 6% from the Pac Man beginners guide (on the main page of this forum) it says FAIR does 6%.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Fair does 5% in 1.0.3.

I can confirm the up-smash cooldown increase.

There are no grab or f-smash increases.

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
Ok yeah. Lmfao. I thought this whole time you were called nick nasty. Lolol

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
Another change unless I'm seeing things... Side B is corrected for you more.

By this I mean stand on a platform at battlefield and start your side B and point it down. It used to send you shooting into the floor but now side B auto-directs itself across the ground. I think it's a buff.

I don't think hydrant's bulk will hurt us that bad
Side-B has always been like that as long as the pellets touched the ground first.

Lord Cruxis

Smash Cadet
The Hydrant HP thing is not necessarily a nerf. It means that Pac-man's zoning has been nerfed, but this leads to several great followups.

In particular, bair->jab, bair->ftilt, and bair->up-tilt are three different launch types. Before, you'd have to do a very difficult nair->jab if you wanted a quickie "slow defensive hydrant".

The zoning game will be missed, but as long as RosaLuma has been nerfed, I don't think the Hydrant was critical to our gameplan. (But it was a great tool nonetheless). Now, its going to be a good component of the defensive game IMO. (IE: Ledge guarding)
I was thinking the exact same thing. I'm enjoying the jab hydrant into back throw back into the hydrant. so awesome!

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
Here's my list of potential changes:

1. Galexian "fruit" is lower-damaging, but seems to be much faster on the average. Long-range attacks with Galexian seem possible now, and the "loop" is bigger to compensate for it. It is still always possible to catch the Galexian for a rethrow.

2. Fair's hitbox seems shorter vertically.

3. Forward Smash and Down Smash seem like they're faster.

4. Up-Smash is significantly slower. I consider this a nerf overall, as it reduces our dash-in options.

5. Throw is more reliable. The "instant" hitbox feels quicker, and the "missing hitbox" seems to have been filled in. Before, when you grabbed, there was the "instant" that you grabbed, a slight pause, and then a hitbox that appeared sometime after the tractor-beam appeared. Now it seems like the whole grab animation has a hitbox.

6. One-hit Hydrant launch is gone. Everyone I play with still complains about my Hydrant shenanigans. Its a weaker tool for zoning, but its still an absolutely awesome tool to use in general.

7. Side-B has significantly better recovery time, both on the ground and in the air. I don't think it is "safe" quite yet, but it isn't nearly as punishable as it used to be.

8. Lvl 9 CPUs on WiiU are better.o.O

Tested on WiiU version. I haven't downloaded patch 1.03 on my 3DS yet.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
Here's my list of potential changes:

1. Galexian "fruit" is lower-damaging, but seems to be much faster on the average. Long-range attacks with Galexian seem possible now, and the "loop" is bigger to compensate for it. It is still always possible to catch the Galexian for a rethrow.

2. Fair's hitbox seems shorter vertically.

3. Forward Smash and Down Smash seem like they're faster.

4. Up-Smash is significantly slower. I consider this a nerf overall, as it reduces our dash-in options.

5. Throw is more reliable. The "instant" hitbox feels quicker, and the "missing hitbox" seems to have been filled in. Before, when you grabbed, there was the "instant" that you grabbed, a slight pause, and then a hitbox that appeared sometime after the tractor-beam appeared. Now it seems like the whole grab animation has a hitbox.

6. One-hit Hydrant launch is gone. Everyone I play with still complains about my Hydrant shenanigans. Its a weaker tool for zoning, but its still an absolutely awesome tool to use in general.

7. Side-B has significantly better recovery time, both on the ground and in the air. I don't think it is "safe" quite yet, but it isn't nearly as punishable as it used to be.

8. Lvl 9 CPUs on WiiU are better.o.O

Tested on WiiU version. I haven't downloaded patch 1.03 on my 3DS yet.
When opponents bounce on the trampoline, minus the 4th hit that makes anyone go helpless, their bounce height doesn't scale like Pac Man's. They always go about the same height.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
PacMan's FSmash can still oneshot hydrant tho.

So with Cstick thatll be pretty quick.

xzx

Smash Lord
Maybe it is just me, but I recall that PAC-MAN's Up-tilt is stronger (or maybe has more ending lag) than before. It seems that I can't do as many up-tilts in a row on opponents now as before. And also, his D-tilt seems to have a little more ending lag as well... but with IASA-frames. It just feels like I have less options after a D-tilt now. I cannot confirm anything though. If someone can test this, it would be great!

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Maybe it is just me, but I recall that PAC-MAN's Up-tilt is stronger (or maybe has more ending lag) than before. It seems that I can't do as many up-tilts in a row on opponents now as before. And also, his D-tilt seems to have a little more ending lag as well... but with IASA-frames. It just feels like I have less options after a D-tilt now. I cannot confirm anything though. If someone can test this, it would be great!
If that's the case, I'm not really sure why a Down-tilt nerf was necessary.

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
Also, Side-B into Hydrant (circle-around) is now the fastest way to launch hydrant. Side-B is much less punishable now, but I'm not very comfortable using it in battle.

It ain't no "bair" from 1.03 for sure, but if you want to launch the hydrant quick, its an option.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Also, Side-B into Hydrant (circle-around) is now the fastest way to launch hydrant. Side-B is much less punishable now, but I'm not very comfortable using it in battle.

It ain't no "bair" from 1.03 for sure, but if you want to launch the hydrant quick, its an option.
Why not just simple F-smash?

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Probably because the same amount of time it would of took to land and then Fsmash, you'd be done just a big quicker by just side b-ing into it.
If you fast fall off of the hydrant and use cstick, simply because the side B would take a bit to get set, and you might just choke and hit the ground when curving the aim, I'd personally go for the safer option. Also fmash has less commitment to it.

dr_six

Smash Cadet
F-smash into hydrant is fast, especially if you fast fall off the hydrant. Also, F-smash will have some priority and helps defend you from other attacks. And the hydrant actually delays the hitbox of F-smash a bit longer too, which is nice.

Raijinken

Smash Master

castorpollux

Smash Champion
I keep reading (and playing on my own, verifying) that the Hydrant can't be launched instantly with bair any more. But watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKh2JKPJVoI#t=150 , I'm quite confused. I thought it might have been a fluke of impact, but at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKh2JKPJVoI#t=359 it happens and there's clearly nothing else hitting it. Happens again at 6:58ish, 7:07ish, etc. Has anyone figured that out yet?
This is something worth researching. Can anyone reach out to rich brown and ask him?

Top Bottom