• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

『SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI』Protagonists Support Thread. (Awaiting Reincarnation...)

Hmm, give me a LIFE STONE and I might consider joining you...

• Give LIFE STONE x1

• Refuse

• Trick

• Say you don't have

Results are only viewable after voting.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Hasn't been shown yet, but the most recent PV ended with the heroine (blue-sweater seemingly-physic woman; I don't recall her name) being offered the oppurtunity to become one, ending before it was shown if she accepted it.
I personally think that was a bit misleading. People has discussed the possibility of the protagonist's friends becoming Nahobinos or fusing with something, just like the protag, since E3, but I think the recent Bethel trailer kinda shut down any chance of that, because people assumed our friends' transformations would be the demons in the boxart (Abdiel, Nuwa and the green dude). And with the last SMTV News section we learnt that Nuwa knows Yakumo (the Raidou looking dude) since he was young, so I don't know.

I could see the other friends becoming into something weird but I feel Tao is going to have a heroine role and accompany us no matter what we choose.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Well the time is reckoning is almost here.

Just know that whatever happens, I am proud of you guys. Together we've amassed a total of 84 followers, a niche JRPG about demons and religion and mythology punching up there with the Smash mainstays. It took a while and we were in a bit of a rut for the longest time but despite it all we've come out the other end and are much better for it, with far brighter horizons as well.

Thank you all.
Truly.
pixie 4.png

Discoball Fever

Smash Rookie
Disappointing of course that we didn't get a full trailer.
However we got a Doi Zeus confirmation and a 0.01 second clip of Khonsu/Ptah/Green Egyptian God
Overall I think there's more to this, we already got confirmation about the next news broadcast being in late September, I wonder if that's either still coming as something separate or perhaps (with extreme stretching) it was pushed back to 10/5 wink wink.

Edit, as it looks the JP direct actually got a full trailer which sort of kills the stretch but regardless I find it odd that we didn't get it with subtitles at least.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Apparently the japanese Direct got a 1 minute trailer. That or they just uploaded this after the Direct.

It's brief but intense, showing some dungeons and new demons confirmations, which are very hype to me.

And not gonna lie. Kinda disappointed it wasn't more featured in the Direct. I was expecting a dedicated section. Not as long as the one Dread got, but basically this trailer.

Not even saying this because of the english dub, which we're surely getting one, don't worry about it. But because I assumed it was going to get a better treatment here considering it's a Switch exclusive, a Direct is always a big opportunity to market a game. Being in the usual reel section of games isn't going to catch people's eyes as much as having the full trailer.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Sad that SMTV was just in the sizzle reel. Still, the JP footage doesn't seem to count as the PV for the month so there's likely more to come.
Demons sighted include Amon, Adramalech, Zeus, green guy seems to be Amon and a new Mesoamerican inspired dragon fella?
The "theory" for the game being on the sizzle reel I have seen in some places is that the dub isn't ready, or at least not for a trailer, and that Nintendo seemingly doesn't put games with japanese voices in their western Directs. That would make sense to an extent, because while the SMTV trailer for E3 didn't have an english dub, it had an english narrator.

The exception to this that comes to my mind is precisely another SMTV trailer, the one we got last year when it was re-revealed.

Maybe Atlus and Nintendo want to make the final push in marketing here in the West once the english dub is ready. I assume COVID has been a big obstacle for it and that this being the first worldwide release for Atlus, maybe they're having some problems.

It's still a shame because having the full trailer in the Direct obviously markets the game more and better.

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman
The "theory" for the game being on the sizzle reel I have seen in some places is that the dub isn't ready, or at least not for a trailer, and that Nintendo seemingly doesn't put games with japanese voices in their western Directs. That would make sense to an extent, because while the SMTV trailer for E3 didn't have an english dub, it had an english narrator.

The exception to this that comes to my mind is precisely another SMTV trailer, the one we got last year when it was re-revealed.

Maybe Atlus and Nintendo want to make the final push in marketing here in the West once the english dub is ready. I assume COVID has been a big obstacle for it and that this being the first worldwide release for Atlus, maybe they're having some problems.

It's still a shame because having the full trailer in the Direct obviously markets the game more and better.
I am more worried about PV04.

We have a “news” update next week and we still don’t have any actual story trailer this month.

amageish

Smash Master
Huh... This comment made me realize that the Bayonetta 3 trailer transitioned from Japanese to English when Bayonetta turned up, implying that Bayonetta herself was actually fighting in real-world Japan... That is an interesting development. Maybe she enjoyed the Dx2 collab so much that she decided to move there!

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I guess I'll post the newest demon showcases

Macabre has very cool animations.

Cool reference to Nocturne to follow Forneus' showcase with Decarabia. They even have a special convo here. Very cute.

Next is Sandman.

I am more worried about PV04.

We have a “news” update next week and we still don’t have any actual story trailer this month.
I think the 1 minute trailer was our "PV04". Not in name of course.

"Presented by the host Chiaki Matsuzawa, the topic of the news this time will be the demons involved in the game’s story, as well as how to traverse Da’at. "

It seems to be focused on demons with story relevance, so that would be Odin, Zeus or Vasuki which we have just seen in the newest video.

Huh... This comment made me realize that the Bayonetta 3 trailer transitioned from Japanese to English when Bayonetta turned up, implying that Bayonetta herself was actually fighting in real-world Japan... That is an interesting development. Maybe she enjoyed the Dx2 collab so much that she decided to move there!
Yeah, she's in Tokyo, that has been confirmed.

Velvet Rebirth

Smash Apprentice
It definitely did.
Are you familiar with a game called Deathloop? It released recently and is by all means a good looking game but it appeared in so many game showcases up to release that eventually people just got tired of seeing it. People that watch Nintendo Directs already know if they're interested in SMTV or not, you can't brute force interest.

amageish

Smash Master

Cool reference to Nocturne to follow Forneus' showcase with Decarabia. They even have a special convo here. Very cute.

Next is Sandman.
Ever since watching this video, I can no longer look at this demon without thinking of the taco bell ad and the Japanese horror movie that inspired it...

Yeah, she's in Tokyo, that has been confirmed.
Well, that is neat! Interesting development...

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman
Are you familiar with a game called Deathloop? It released recently and is by all means a good looking game but it appeared in so many game showcases up to release that eventually people just got tired of seeing it. People that watch Nintendo Directs already know if they're interested in SMTV or not, you can't brute force interest.
Unless they watched the Atlus trailers they haven’t seen anything.

Discoball Fever

Smash Rookie
People that watch Nintendo Directs already know if they're interested in SMTV or not, you can't brute force interest.
I don't see how everyone could already have set their minds on something that Nintendo haven't been showing much of.
Outside of it's E3 reveal the majority of news and information have been released near exclusively through Atlus' channels (most of which are Japan exclusive), which is primarily going to be seen by returning fans and not newcomers.

Every time I go to other sites talking about SMT V I always see a mountain of comments asking about what the game even is. Of course Nintendo isn't going to be putting as much effort into marketing this as they are to, say, Metroid Dread. However I feel like putting the newest trailer into the direct to inform potential buyers is the least they could do, instead of relegating it to a blink-and-you'll-miss-it cameo in a sizzle reel.

On a side note, we're getting another Megaten news soon
Seems to focus on the Divine Powers-esque group we saw.

Velvet Rebirth

Smash Apprentice
I rewatched the segment in the E3 presentation to check myself and I will say it's shorter than I remember it being, definitely feels a lot longer probably just because it's a lot of information that you will already know if you play SMT, it was also featured in the Treehouse though I have no intention of watching that. It is weird that there was a new trailer that was only featured in the Japan direct I won't argue that, but I still hold my opinion that we really don't need another four minute segment explaining how SMT games works.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I rewatched the segment in the E3 presentation to check myself and I will say it's shorter than I remember it being, definitely feels a lot longer probably just because it's a lot of information that you will already know if you play SMT, it was also featured in the Treehouse though I have no intention of watching that. It is weird that there was a new trailer that was only featured in the Japan direct I won't argue that, but I still hold my opinion that we really don't need another four minute segment explaining how SMT games works.
I mean, we don't. But newcomers might appreciated having a cool story trailer with english dub that lets them learn more about the game.

Most people doesn't go out of their way and look up Atlus japanese accounts to find more.

Anyway I'm pretty sure that soon they will start doing the final and big push for SMTV. I'm talking about Atlus West. I guess they will start with it once the english dub is completed. I do think Atlus West could have done a better job promoting the game as of now. I mean afaik they haven't even shared the japanese trailer from the japanese Direct. And I guess the Persona anniversary didn't help. They could have done a SMT history lesson in the last few months like Nintendo did on Twitter with Metroid, or something like that.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
More showcases

Cool overworld animations for Sandman.

Bicorn is quite menacing while pursuing Nahobino in the open world lol

I really do hope they get their stuff together for Shin Megami Tensei V's promotion. The lack of a major Western presence after E3 is really really concerning to me.
I think after TGS the marketing for the West will actually "start". Like, even if we're negative, no way they're not going to promote this strongly when they did a decent marketing for Nocturne HD, at least on Twitter AFAIK, and that was a remaster.

Maybe the big marketing push will come from Nintendo and not Atlus, I don't know, but I'm quite sure things will improve. They're probably just waiting until the english dub is ready for trailers, and unfortunately it seems they had trouble with recording the english dub for the game.

Anyway, quite excited to see the News section in a few hours. It seems like they will show more about some of the new confirmed demons from the last video, and I like those demons lol

amageish

Smash Master
I really do hope they get their stuff together for Shin Megami Tensei V's promotion. The lack of a major Western presence after E3 is really really concerning to me.
Honestly, while Nintendo isn't doing much of it, ATLUS is officially translating far more marketing materials shortly after they release in Japan far more often then with... any other game in recent memory.

Maybe a low bar when the game has a worldwide release, but my standards for ATLUS' ability to translate announcements when they come out in Japan are very low...

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I've said this before, but Shin Megami Tensei V is one of my most anticipated games of the year. But before I get it, I kind of wanna get Nocturne first on the Switch. My main worry is that Nocturne will be too punishing, though. Should I get it? What do you guys think?
I'd personally wait for V to be honest, which will be the best entry point for newcomers for obvious reasons.

Nocturne can be punishing that's for sure, mostly during the first hours and if it's your first SMT game. You could start with that one for sure but I think IV is a better starting place. But with SMT V around the corner I'd wait, play the new one and if you like the series enough then play the rest of the series if you want.

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman
I've said this before, but Shin Megami Tensei V is one of my most anticipated games of the year. But before I get it, I kind of wanna get Nocturne first on the Switch. My main worry is that Nocturne will be too punishing, though. Should I get it? What do you guys think?
If you really want to play Nocturne now and you have the money you might as well get it while you have time before SMT V comes out.

It is not that hard on “normal” difficulty.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
The new SMTV news video has been posted. It has english subs.

Very intriguing info. And the gameplay related stuff looks good.

The official website was updated, render for a new demon:

Last edited:

Discoball Fever

Smash Rookie
the Only 214 thing was a mistranslation or something?
Atlus JP released an image with some text that said they would be releasing 214 daily demon videos and people took it as meaning that there would ONLY be 214 rather than something more along the lines of "We will be showing a curated selection of 214 demons from the total roster"

We don't have an exact number as of yet IIRC. I seem to remember someone working out through the number of pages in the premium edition's demon handbook that the final amount would be around the range of 220-250~ yet I would take that with a grain of salt.

As for the current number, the Wiki has a list of confirmed demons although I'm not sure how up to date it is.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Yeah, we'll have more than 214 demons. I wouldn't expect a lot more though, but still. For example, if Nuwa or Abdiel were to be recruitable (even if just for NG+), I strongly doubt they would showcase them on Youtube lol

The exploration side of the game looks very cool, seems like we will have stuff to do in the overworld.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Finally. Not because I was worried because the game was definitely getting a dub, but because this way we can stop complaining about the lack of dub.

I just hope Atlus West is going to be better prepared from now on and provide a few trailers for the Western audiences with english dub.

No one posted it but here's Doi's commentary on Lahmu.

And also, 4 more showcases.

Oni just sitting there at the beginning lol.

I like how Yurlungur moves in the overworld.

Next is Take-Minakata.

amageish

Smash Master

We got ourselves a cast list!

Protagonist: Casey Mongillo
Tao Isonokami: Jeannie Tirado
Yuzuru Atsuta: Mark Whitten
Miyazu Atsuta: Ashlyn Madden
Ichiro Dazai: Stuart Allen
Hayao Koshimizu: Sean Crisden
Abdiel: Cissy Jones
Shohei Yakumo: Ben Lepley
Nuwa: Laura Post
Aogami: Daman Mills
Sahori Itsukishima: Erica Lindbeck
Lahmu: Kellen Goff
Fionn Mac Cumhaill: Chris Hackney
Amanozako: Deva Marie

All looks/sounds good to me! I generally like how ATLUS games tend to balance already-famous people with more up-and-coming actors, which seems to be the case here as well. It's nice to hear fresh voices in an industry that can get, uh, very insular and repetitive with its casting.

Also, casting a non-binary person as the protagonist definitely fits the protagonist's gender-defying design and is a very cool thing that I can't say I expected them to do! I do also like Casey as a VA, so I am very excited for them.

SNEKeater

Smash Master

We got ourselves a cast list!

Protagonist: Casey Mongillo
Tao Isonokami: Jeannie Tirado
Yuzuru Atsuta: Mark Whitten
Miyazu Atsuta: Ashlyn Madden
Ichiro Dazai: Stuart Allen
Hayao Koshimizu: Sean Crisden
Abdiel: Cissy Jones
Shohei Yakumo: Ben Lepley
Nuwa: Laura Post
Aogami: Daman Mills
Sahori Itsukishima: Erica Lindbeck
Lahmu: Kellen Goff
Fionn Mac Cumhaill: Chris Hackney
Amanozako: Deva Marie

All looks/sounds good to me! I generally like how ATLUS games tend to balance already-famous people with more up-and-coming actors, which seems to be the case here as well. It's nice to hear fresh voices in an industry that can get, uh, very insular and repetitive with its casting.

Also, casting a non-binary person as the protagonist definitely fits the protagonist's gender-defying design and is a very cool thing that I can't say I expected them to do! I do also like Casey as a VA, so I am very excited for them.
Yeah this is definitely a good cast IMO. The only thing that weirded me out a little bit was Tao's line in the trailer.

We also got a 38 minute live gameplay today on Twitch. Early game footage, if anyone wants to check it out:

Also, a few images from the next number of Famitsu (which is for tomorrow) have been leaked, including renders for multiple demons, with a new one among them:

Top Bottom