• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zero Suit Samus Questions & Answers

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
I thought it did that.
You sure it's the strongest uncharged though?
The tip-box is ********, and there one that legit kills at like 110...

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Let's keep it ZSS Q&A related please.
Don't stir up trouble Viper please

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
There's a japanese video somewhere on youtube that shows all of her hitboxes, but...I don't have the link for it, and I don't know how to find it.
Does someone have the link?

ZSS' most disjointed moves are her uair, back hit of her nair, sideB, dsmash, grab, forward smash, usmash and upB. These all have VERY good disjoint.
Oh, and her lasers and suitpieces of course XD

Uh...if you're picking up ZSS then reading the guide is helpful. It's a good way to understand what each of her moves are for. Practice to get a feel for the timing and spacing of all her moves. That's all I can really say.

JakeOfAllTrades

Smash Rookie
There's a japanese video somewhere on youtube that shows all of her hitboxes, but...I don't have the link for it, and I don't know how to find it.
Does someone have the link?

ZSS' most disjointed moves are her uair, back hit of her nair, sideB, dsmash, grab, forward smash, usmash and upB. These all have VERY good disjoint.
Oh, and her lasers and suitpieces of course XD

Uh...if you're picking up ZSS then reading the guide is helpful. It's a good way to understand what each of her moves are for. Practice to get a feel for the timing and spacing of all her moves. That's all I can really say.
Alright thanks, I'll search for it.
I'm not new to ZSS and I've read the stickied guide before along with the others in the resource center (excluding the ZSS training course, Stadium records, and boss battles.)

EDIT: I found one on AiB here... Is posting links from other forums generally frowned upon?

FEAR977

Smash Apprentice
What is ZSS's fastest item toss? I know diddy kong is supposed to use his down toss when he gets hit on shield because it is his fastest toss, so I thought maybe it could apply to ZSS as well.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Down toss is ZSS' fastest.
Or, I would assume it is because it's her fastest glide toss and I imagine that glide tossing and regular tossing have the same frame data.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Uair is good cause TL is very floaty.
Be careful when trying to read airdodge landings and punish them with dsmash. If you're in front of the TL and you try to dsmash his airdodge landing, he can cancel his airdodge with a zair and hit you. If you're behind him then he's just like another character.
If he lands with an airdodge but cancels it into a zair and hits your shield (it's very easy to PS), dtilt him. Not only is it free damage, but it resets the situation; the TL will know that if he tries to AD-->zair again you might PS-->dtilt again, so they might just airdodge into the ground, meaning you can dsmash. Or they might not airdodge at all, meaning you can usmash/uair/nair/fair. Or they might fall into you with a nair. Sort of a RPS situation where we have the slight advantage.
At low percents (like...10% and below) don't utilt TL, he can dair you out of it.
When YOU'RE at low percents (like....10-30%), if TL hits you with a rising bair it true combos into a footstool-->dair unless you throw in some godlike SDI, so watch out for that.
When TL players get you to shield, they usually like to mindgame by running behind you and bairing. They crossup on shield, is what I'm trying to get at, so shield rarely, smartly and choose your OoS options wisely. Don't just use shield as a panic button.
I think the entire jab combo works on TL, not sure though. Regardless, jab1 is good, he can't really punish you on hit with it. TL's OoS options are also pretty bad (except for bair,but you're probably going to be in front of his shield most of the time) so if you land a jab1 they'll probably shield, and you can probably follow up with a run behind-->pivot grab.
TLs tend to use their tether recovery, so maybe you can get in some reads. If you go for the dsmash footstool edgehog, TL can still land on the stage, but do it anyway and you can punish his landing with pretty much any aerial.
Like Diddy, you can SDI TL's fsmash to avoid the 2nd hit and live. If he's right next to you when he lands the first hit, SDI behind/up+behind him. If he hits you from far away, SDI away.
TL usually kills with utilt/usmash, so prepare to DI horizontally.
TL's camp game isn't very good against ZSS cause she has the mobility to avoid his projectiles, so when you have the lead you should be taking next to 0 residual damage from the projectiles. Jab1/ftilt/PS arrows and boomerangs (you can also dtilt boomerangs, pretty sure), gaining control of the bombs is good. Instatoss them back at the TL, or up, or just catch them and glidetoss for mobility.
If TL shoots boomerangs/arrows at you while recovering, you can just uair/fair them. TL can't really edgeguard ZSS at all.
Utilt is pretty unsafe when the TL is holding a bomb because TL mains generally know how to drop bombs while in tumble.

Uh...that's all I can think of right now.

Edit: Oh yeah, the z-dropping the bombs also applies to trying to dsmash his airdodge landings from behind and from in front, but more so from behind (when ZSS is behind TL)

PEACE7

Smash Champion
I ****ing love you this is soo helpful thanks man, I didn't know a lot of that specially about the uptilt getting punished with dair but it makes sense.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
The entire jab combo does not work on TL as far as I can tell

Zanx8

Smash Journeyman
Well this helps against these wi-fi TLs I guess then. XD I'll know what to do then.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Nair is just as fast as bair so you should be just as careful when in front of Toon Link... maybe more since he can mix in grabs.

BioDG

Smash Ace
The entire jab combo does not work on TL. It only seems that way because he's so floaty he ends up getting caught by jab before hitting the ground most of the time...allowing the full jab combo.

Zanx8

Smash Journeyman
Is there a thread we can just look at to see who we can full jab combo or not? ._.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
General knowledge for fighting TL

-Punish the holy **** out of bomb pulls. He's completely vulnerable and you should take full advantage of it.

-Try to play a solid aggro game when you can. It keeps him from setting up a safe camp zone. Seeing as ZSS has range AND speed, you can chase him around pretty decently.

JakeOfAllTrades

Smash Rookie
My best options OoS is Uair and Fair, right? Is Nair a viable move OoS or is it too laggy or just isn't that good of an option to use?

How far away should I be from my opponent? What distance should I try to maintain for optimal zoning?

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Fair is not a good OoS option, and nair only works if you KNOW your opponent isn't going to shield. If they shield it's way too laggy.

Best OoS options are utilt, dtilt, dash attack, uair, and drop shield-->run away.

As for the zoning thing, it depends on the opponent's character.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Well, that basically answers one of my questions. (Oos options)

Why is zss f-smash one of the most unused moves?
If anything, that move is so fresh and ready to kill...maybe i'm wrong perhaps.

BioDG

Smash Ace
Because Fsmash is sort of hard to consider under most circumstances. Slow start-up, the hitbubble(s?) for its effective knockback/damage is small, and slow cool-down.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
With fsmash, pretty much every hitbox is terrible except for the one sweetspot (someone correct me if I'm wrong on this) and the sweetspot is pretty strong. The problem is, it's not exactly safe to attempt to space a move like fsmash considering how laggy it is, both on startup and cooldown.

Fsmash is good for netting the kill if you've landed a dsmash at high percents. But other than that, no, it's not good.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Now i understand why, especially watching so many zss videos so far and not seeing f-smash being used much.
A fully charge f-smash only does 17% damage at best. :l

Hopefully i'll be able to play one of you guys (wifi). No need for zss dittos,
anyone can go random against my (in training) zss.

Zanx8

Smash Journeyman
Bio is probably the one you want to ask. xD I would play, but I'm not good enough to give the right advice for people yet. Forward smash is terrible, so yeah don't worry about that.
So I have a weird question, how can you end up cancelling the kick lag of down b?

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
What happens is that when you land from the downB kick, you still have horizontal momentum so you slide across the ground by a very slight, almost unnoticeable amount. To cancel, you have to land with the kick close enough to the edge of the stage/a platform so that when you perform that 'sliding' across the ground, you slide OFF the stage/platform and put yourself in the air again.

And, since you were momentarily on the ground, after downB cancelling you will have your 2nd jump and your downB again.

Edit: I suggest practicing on BF or PS1.

PEACE7

Smash Champion
You know what would be wicked sexy? getting the infinite on Rob on SV when you see the platform close by get in the last dsmash downb cancel it into a backair for a kill.

BioDG

Smash Ace
Now i understand why, especially watching so many zss videos so far and not seeing f-smash being used much.
A fully charge f-smash only does 17% damage at best. :l

Hopefully i'll be able to play one of you guys (wifi). No need for zss dittos,
anyone can go random against my (in training) zss.
Fsmash = Fail smash

I won't mind playing you if you happen to run into me. I actually saw you online for a bit. You said hi while I was afk...and then you left when I got back.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Upsmash is the fail smash, sorry. At least fsmash does something when it lands.

Top Bottom