• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zero Suit Samus Questions & Answers

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
SFP, if you don't like the guide anymore, give it to me and I'll update it. I'm always on SWF anyway.

Though I probably won't update it til after Thursday cause I have a final then.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Uh, most of that wasn't Mario specific. Sliding usmash, DASC, momentum cancelling, camping, out-of-shield options and ledge camping can be done with all characters (obviously some things are more useful on certain characters).

Jab-cancelling can be done with every character with a...how do I put this...a multi-part jab (not necessarily multi-hit).

MK's jab is multi-hit, but there's only 1 part to it. If you press A multiple times/hold A, it just extends how long he does that 1 part. Same with Pikachu, G&W, Zelda (can't extend this) and Ganon (same as Zelda)

ZSS, Snake, Falco, Fox and Mario (and a bunch of other characters) have 3-part jabs. They can jab cancel.
Characters like Wario, Marth, ROB and a bunch of other characters have 2-part jabs. They can also jab-cancel.

All jabs that aren't 1-part jabs can be jab-cancelled, pretty sure.

I'm pretty sure there aren't any ZSS-specific ATs that aren't covered in the guide made by SFP...
ZSS can't jab lock, but at low percents she can force resets with ftilt, dash attack, fair1, dair sourspot..I think that's it.
And her laser (both charged and uncharged) have set stun and knockback, so they can always (ie at any %) force resets...only problem is you can't 'laser lock' like Falco can where he just keeps shooting lasers over and over and they keep you stuck there til he stops shooting/you fall off the stage/you get hit by something else. With ZSS her laser will only stun you once, from there you have to follow up with something else.

Forcing resets like that are very situational with ZSS and will probably never happen outside of doubles, and forced edge slips...unless your opponent is bad and lets you set them up for no reason lol.

As for ATs with ZSS, there's
Dsmash footstool edgeguard (In the guide)
Dash attack lock (Also in the guide)
Glide tossing (idk just look it up on youtube, or maybe there's a thread somewhere, not very complicated...yes it's in the guide)

There's this stuff

Turnaround-B [Universal] - The turnaround of neutral special is done by tapping the opposite direction with the control stick and doing neutral special within 20 frames after the tap. Other special turnarounds are done by pressing in the opposite direction and the special's direction.
B-Reverse (Reversal-B) [Universal] - The turnaround in the air that reverses your momentum. It is performed by pressing in the opposite direction you are facing AFTER you perform the special.
Wavebounce (Recoil-Special) [Universal] - The reversal of momentum that occurs when you combine a Turnaround-B and B-Reverse. You will face the same direction that you did before.
Uh...ZSS can chaingrab the heavy characters at low percents (mentioned in the guide)
ZSS can dsmash-chain the fast fallers at low percents (spacies, Captain Falcon, Sheik, Ike, Snake, Ganon, Dedede...mentioned in the guide)
Tether cancelling (nothing huge, every tether recovery-character can do this, press down while your tether is connected to the edge)

Uh...ZSS can wall-jump
ZSS can platform cancel, like every character in the game.
ZSS can pivot grab, like every character in the game
ZSS can footstool out of her downB (mentioned in the guide)
ZSS can upB to make her jumps go higher (mentioned in the guide)

Her best OoS options are dtilt, utilt, sh uair, usmash, jump, froll, dash attack.

I can't think of anything else. I don't know what you want. It sounds like you're new to the game and you're still learning the basics. :\

Edit: I noticed the quote I added is somewhat misleading so I'll say it here

Turn-around B: Changes direction you're facing.
B-reverse: Changes direction you're facing AND reverses your momentum.
Wavebounce: Only reverses your momentum.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
lol....I'm not new to the game....been around since 2009. I know the basic & advance stuff on smash.
Everything you've just posted...well, i already know.

I just wanted to pick someones brain about zss and learn something new & different to add to my game.
My mario already has an advanced playstyle & i wanna reach that same level with my zamus.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
lol....I'm not new to the game....been around since 2009. I know the basic & advance stuff on smash.
Everything you've just posted...well, i already know.

I just wanted to pick someones brain about zss and learn something new & different to add to my game.
My mario already has an advanced playstyle & i wanna reach that same level with my zamus.
If this is what you're looking for then your best choice is to record some vids of yourself and post them in the zss critique thread.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Sent a PM to DeLux about the guide.

Actually, ZSS can jab lock.

With her second jab.
Yes, it's true. ZSS' second jab can force reset. It is technically possible with perfect spacing and frame perfection to space your jab2 such that you could lock someone with it. :p But why, when you could just dsmash?

Don't forget that ZSS has infinites on a few characters:

Diddy Kong using one of his bananas.
ROB footstool infinite.
Bike wheel infinite on Wario
Grab release infinite on squirtle
Uh... I think that's it.

quiKsilverItaly

Smash Journeyman
about stuff forcing resets with zss gun (neutral b):

just shoot a small laser, when you push a shielding opponent above you on the ground.
if he just falls down, doing nothing, you get a reset. and a 100% downsmash.
if he techs or breaking off the fall animation with an airial, zss is still in the better position (reacting and attack with dash attack, dtilt or something).

with this way, we should cover almost every option without (!) losing the possibility getting a downsmash

same with up-b, getting the enemy from the air.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Lately when I've been using ZSS, when I'm forced into recover situation and after momentum cancelling, I'll routinely use plasma whip to turn around so I'll have access to Bair as a recovery option while still retaining my DJ and Flip Jump

Are there advantage to facing forward towards the stage while recovering that I might not be aware of?

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Facing forward gives you the diagonally above-and-in-front hitbox of uair, which is better against MK I imagine

Dunno about against other characters.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Yeah ZSS has a pretty good bair but loads of characters can trade with it, which isn't what you want while recovering.

Uair has more range and a bigger disjoint, which means you're more likely to just beat their options instead of trading and flying off in a random direction.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Does ZSS generally want to recover low then? I try to avoid using that option since the whole tether recovery gimping complex.

I rarely have my opponent above me in that zoning when recovering when Uair would matter, but I do have my DJ saved if I do need it

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Uh..what kind of characters do you face?

Generally I use my sideB tether from close to its max distance...and I also protect myself and/or the ledge with charged lasers.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Does ZSS generally want to recover low then? I try to avoid using that option since the whole tether recovery gimping complex.

I rarely have my opponent above me in that zoning when recovering when Uair would matter, but I do have my DJ saved if I do need it
Recovering low is surprisingly good, actually, particularly against MK.

I don't have much experience vs. Diddy, but I would imagine that recovering low would put you in a really bad position against bananas thrown at you, lol. I'm sure someone else has better ideas. With Snake, bair is good, because it beats everything he does pretty cleanly. But Snake also doesn't really gimp ZSS in general.

Louis

Smash Rookie
He's also probably a lot better than you.
He is. There's no question. But, my question is: Why do you guys think that the matchup is a possible +1? ZSS loses to Sheik up close and ZSS has to be careful when using side-b and down smash for spacing because of the long start up.

Dakpo

Smash Lord
He is. There's no question. But, my question is: Why do you guys think that the matchup is a possible +1? ZSS loses to Sheik up close and ZSS has to be careful when using side-b and down smash for spacing because of the long start up.
Zss ***** up close... If you commit to any move other than Grab, Up smash OoS will punish you. mid Range is where it gets tricky since she can close the gap faster than zss. And needles are annoying, but other than that, zss has better kill power and a better recovery. I feel as though we have an immediate advantage as soon as sheik jumps into the air because again Up smash Out of shield beats any landing options.

Louis

Smash Rookie
Zss ***** up close... If you commit to any move other than Grab, Up smash OoS will punish you. mid Range is where it gets tricky since she can close the gap faster than zss. And needles are annoying, but other than that, zss has better kill power and a better recovery. I feel as though we have an immediate advantage as soon as sheik jumps into the air because again Up smash Out of shield beats any landing options.
I don't believe that zss wrecks sheik up close. When I say "up close" I mean jab range. Zss has jab, roll, and a very punishable utilt. Dtilt at close range is easily sheild grabbed. Sheik has everything we do AND a grab which combos into DACUS. At close range sheik wins.

Dakpo

Smash Lord
I don't believe that zss wrecks sheik up close. When I say "up close" I mean jab range. Zss has jab, roll, and a very punishable utilt. Dtilt at close range is easily sheild grabbed. Sheik has everything we do AND a grab which combos into DACUS. At close range sheik wins.
I really don't think you even read my post.

Dnyce

Smash Master

OMFG

shedding tears right nao

lmfaooooooooooo

:shyguy: :shyguy: :shyguy:

Edit: from exp, I can say that dakpo really takes advantage of usmash oos well... and it's a lot better option than I gave it credit before I played his zss. I mean, unless you can read the usmash oos, then the SDI you can do makes it really punishable.... but let's be honest... how many times are you going to read/predict zss using usmash oos? The later you start to SDI the harder it becomes to punish (imo)

Louis

Smash Rookie

I read your post, and I get that Usmash Oos shield punishes sheik's options from the air. It doesn't punish any of her grounded options though does it? Just wondering. Also, is Usmash out of shield something that's used in only a few matches like the sheik one, or is it used for a majority of them? I haven't seen it used a lot so I guess it's just underutilized.And your post was pretty hilarious haha

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Yeah not many ZSSs use it (apparently only Dakpo...and I've seen Quik use it twice...but that's it) but that's not necessarily because it's bad.
I'll try it out tomorrow and see how it works...I learned today that dsmash is godlike against DK, OoS or not.

Top Bottom