• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Franchise Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Am I the only one who is looking forward to play as the Skyward Sword characters in smash 4? D: (Seriously Skyward Sword Zelda is adorable)

And I don't mind seeing Skyward Sword Link, he will probably end up looking like Twilight Princess Link with textures more like Toon Link's and baggy pants with the art style in smash 4 anyway.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I think most people preferred the anime-ish and realistic TP graphics over the semi-cel-shaded style of SS. SS Zelda is adorable but TP and OoT Zeldas are better

I don't find it strange, though.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well in smash 4 the Skyward Sword cast is likely going to get a more realistic looking texture overhaul anyway (Assuming smash 4 is going to stick with Brawl's style that is) just like every other non-realistic looking character. So I don't think that's going to be much of a problem really.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
I didn't. I loved Skyward Sword's style to death. It's detailed and bright; extremely satisfying to look at.
Imo, best Link look evarr.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I too prefer Skyward Sword Link over Twilight Princess Link. The latter had too many details (seriously, stitching on the end of your hat?) and typically looked too serious. SS Link is more human, simplified from TP while carrying some design traits over (blue armguards, belt pouches), and his baggy pants were a huge improvement. Also, the Skyward Sword art style is in no way "semi cel-shaded".

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I have realised that my hype of awesome characters for Smash 4 has been fruitless. Now I have seen the great potential of Impa. I'll follow Diddy Kong's commitment and try to make everyone else comprehend the brilliancy of Impa.

I step out of the darkness with new knowledge after reading the whole Hyrule Historia (read it!) My conclusion is that Impa is perfect for Smash and definitely one of the most important characters in the Zelda franchise.

Impa for Smash 4 is really a no-brainer.
Welcome to The Enlightened, brother. :)

Been replaying Wind Waker, and it's awesome. Next thing I'm gonna do is replay Skyward Sword.

And really, anyone who didn't play Skyward Word tends to dislike it for no reason. Seriously, it's a solid game. Definitely one of my favorite Wii games after Donkey Kong Country Returns and Brawl. So to anyone hating it: play the damn game, and complete it. It did many thingngs right in the series. Only Skyloft and the entire Sky World where boring.

Also, yeah I'm definitely expecting Skyward Sword characters in Smash this time.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I enjoyed Skyward Sword much more than Twilight Princess actually. So I'm definitely looking forward to Skyward Sword stuff in smash 4. :)

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
I don't understand hate for Skyward Sword. It's different, so? People complain about motion controls; they couldn't stay like that forever. The artsyle will be all the rage once the new Zelda comes out.

I kinda don't like Impa anymore.

Yeah, I think Toon Ganon should be in S4, or at least a Demise + TP Ganondorf.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Soon you'll all bow to Impa. :smirk: I really don't get it, this 'Eclaire' Mewtwo is almost seen as guranteed a playable character, and most are even cool with it replacing regular Mewtwo to. Similar thing happening with Chrom, who is also universally agreed mostly. Why so resistant against Impa? Who in my opinion holds far more advantages and importance over Sheik than the others.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Man, I never said I don't want to see Impa in Smash. I just don't want to see Shiek being cut.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
How'd you feel about this if the next couple of Zelda's had Impa in it with a similar role to hers in Skyward Sword, but no Sheik? Cause I think that'll be most likely.

TheHandyman

Smash Rookie
I take cracks at Skyward Sword's anime style a lot (everything about that game comes across more anime-like to me than any other Zelda game, including the way the characters are drawn), but in the end, I'm not fussed about the visual style. I like Skyward Sword's art and I believe it should be the way Zelda games are drawn from this point forward. I merely think the Wii wasn't capable of making it look good. The idea is great and worth doing again to get it right; the game itself, though, is really ugly.

The Big Thing to me is that Zelda should be a princess. In Skyward Sword, she's just another girl. As far as that one individual game was concerned, I accepted it on the premise of it being the origin story of the series, but I still want Zelda to be a princess (just like I accept Link's Awakening and Majora's Mask for omitting Zelda due to in-universe storyline reasons, but I don't want Nintendo to ever do that again). After Smash 4 comes out, we won't get another Smash Bros. for at least another six or seven years. I don't want to have to go that long before we get another proper portrayal of Princess Zelda. Heck, Zelda was portrayed better in Brawl than she's ever been in the actual Legend of Zelda series. Five, six years from now, when Smash 4 is old news and Smash 5 is still nothing more than a whisper in the wind, I don't want to have to look all the way back to Brawl for a good portrayal of Princess Zelda.

As strange as it sounds, I think this question may partially be answered by what they decide to do with Impa. I agree with those who think Impa should be ascended into the playable ranks. She's the only possible new Zelda-related addition, I believe. She's basically the fourth most important character in the whole series now, and she's had more impact on the Zelda mythos than any other character besides the big three. Impa certainly deserves the spot more than Ghirahim or any other one-shot secondary villain. And if they were going to include Tingle, I honestly believe they would have done it by now. If they don't include Impa in Smash 4, I don't think they're going to add another Zelda character to Smash Bros....possibly ever.

The problem, then, is Sheik. How would one separate Impa and Sheik? I've never particularly liked Sheik (I believe Zelda should be allowed to shine as Zelda), but Sheik is an important part of the Smash Universe. Smash Bros. is, in fact, the only thing keeping that character relevant at all. I believe Sheik will still be in. I don't think they're going to screw around with that mechanic. This is also the reason why I don't think they're going to change Ganondorf's moveset. Even though they should....

In short, I predict nothing terribly earthshattering will happen with the Zelda characters in terms of mechanics. In visual style, though, I'm very interested. After all, Smash 4 will be the first time we've ever seen The Legend of Zelda in HD....

I just hope they remember that Zelda is a princess, first and foremost.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Then I might change my opinion on Impa. Anyway, since Smash 4 will come out before the next Zelda title, I'll play the waiting game.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I take cracks at Skyward Sword's anime style a lot (everything about that game comes across more anime-like to me than any other Zelda game, including the way the characters are drawn), but in the end, I'm not fussed about the visual style. I like Skyward Sword's art and I believe it should be the way Zelda games are drawn from this point forward. I merely think the Wii wasn't capable of making it look good. The idea is great and worth doing again to get it right; the game itself, though, is really ugly.
For the love of.....

TP's Style is much closer to anime than SS. SS is more similar to western cartoons.

And about the princess thing. Zelda was the closet thing to a princess that Skyloft had. The headmaster ran most everything and Zelda was his daughter. Did you get mad when Zelda was a pirate in Wind Waker?

And a Zelda newcomer will happen eventually. It may not happen this time but to say now or never is just silly.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The Big Thing to me is that Zelda should be a princess. In Skyward Sword, she's just another girl. As far as that one individual game was concerned, I accepted it on the premise of it being the origin story of the series, but I still want Zelda to be a princess (just like I accept Link's Awakening and Majora's Mask for omitting Zelda due to in-universe storyline reasons, but I don't want Nintendo to ever do that again). After Smash 4 comes out, we won't get another Smash Bros. for at least another six or seven years. I don't want to have to go that long before we get another proper portrayal of Princess Zelda. Heck, Zelda was portrayed better in Brawl than she's ever been in the actual Legend of Zelda series. Five, six years from now, when Smash 4 is old news and Smash 5 is still nothing more than a whisper in the wind, I don't want to have to look all the way back to Brawl for a good portrayal of Princess Zelda.

In short, I predict nothing terribly earthshattering will happen with the Zelda characters in terms of mechanics. In visual style, though, I'm very interested. After all, Smash 4 will be the first time we've ever seen The Legend of Zelda in HD....

I just hope they remember that Zelda is a princess, first and foremost.
Why exactly is it such an issue that she wasn't a princess in Skyward Sword? I mean I get what you mean. But skyward Sword is likely the only Zelda game where she isn't a princess, like you said. It was for storyline reasons. For the next games she will be back in her familiar princesses attire. I honestly think this just a little nitpicky.

If she appears in smash, her default costume would likely be her Goddess dress which is the closest thing to a princess attire if you like.

And if Smash really needs a "Princess Zelda" We are probably going to get Toon Zelda to take care of that if Toon Link returns.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
With them keeping Sheik, I could see them opt for a Princess Zelda. But SS Zelda not bei g a princess isn't that bad really. As she's the very first Zelda in excistance. So that means the Kingdom of Hyrule she's supposed to be the princess of didn't excist yet. She's kinda like Tetra in that sence. But better yet, she's now a Goddess-incarate! And more of a priestess in appearance, or even monk-like. I feel this would be more interessting as a concept of fighting than she has shown before.

And I DO agree that if they don't include Impa, there might never be a Zelda newcomer. So that's why I'm easily able to sacrifice Sheik, have Impa as a 'newcomer' with a style similar to Sheik plus new special moves and all, but be fast and combo-based like Sheik while sharing some moves. That'd give them more time to declone Ganondorf and Toon Link, and balance Link and Zelda.

So that's also why I want Impa, and Sheik gone: balance and variation.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
If she appears in smash, her default costume would likely be her Goddess dress which is the closest thing to a princess attire if you like.
Id actually prefer her wing ceremony attire, it looks much better and represents her well enough with the color scheme as well, the dark pink and what not.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Id actually prefer her wing ceremony attire, it looks much better and represents her well enough with the color scheme as well, the dark pink and what not.
I love that attire too (and that artwork is amazing by the way. Only makes me want to see SS Zelda all the more. :D). Well they can always do what they did with Wario (And they should) Whichever attire becomes her default outfit. The other should be an alternate costume. :)

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
To change the topic a bit, which minor Zelda NPC would you like to see in Smash, who in reality won't happen in a million years?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Oh great, as if Diddy Kong wasn't enough, now we have Ove spilling the Impa propaganda throughout the SSB4 boards. :glare:

Not that I don't like Impa, but still, it's annoying.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why is Impa propoganda and it's called 'character support' for any other character? :smirk:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Why is Impa propoganda and it's called 'character support' for any other character? :smirk:
Propaganda = Shoving down the throat. Constantly ranting about it. Annoying others.

Support = Just saying it once or twice and leaving it there. Or putting it in a signature. Or discussing it only when brought up by others.
;)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I've been quiet for months. Only post a picture now and then. But don't like being provoked. If there are people around saying I'm always talking about Impa while I don't- I'll post Impa and more Impa. :smirk:

Also, I've promised to do a moveset now that I remember. Will make one this week I think. Had some ideas already.

Anyways, Toon Zelda is good enough as a Princess Zelda character I feel. But if they opt for Toon Zelda / Tetra, I think they're gonna pair up Zelda and Impa as well.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, it kinda defies to purpose of having a separate Impa, cause we'd still have a Zelda in Smash with a Down B transformation. At least, that's how I see it. But to be honest, I'd prefer separate Impa and Toon Zelda / Tetra myself to.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
But to be honest, I'd prefer separate Impa and Toon Zelda / Tetra myself to.
I still dont really think we even need toon zelda/tetra to be honest, especially if sheik stays since that would be 4 versions of zelda which is severely pushing it. I think SS zelda should be our only zelda

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I suppose a costume, throphy or sticker still counts as an apperance yeah. :awesome:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom