• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Franchise Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'll be seriously laughing for a decade if not more if it actually happens though. Mark my words. I'd probably laugh myself to sleep everyday for a looonnggg time. :laugh:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'll be seriously laughing for a decade if not more if it actually happens though. Mark my words. I'd probably laugh myself to sleep everyday for a looonnggg time. :laugh:
I don't think that's possible.

I mean you would have to laugh so hard that you asleep of exhaustion as laughing typically wakes you up.

:troll:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I was once filmed with a big smile in my sleep. No jokes.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Noiwasjustreallystonedlol

Anyways, Skyward Sword + Wind Waker characters please.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The Netherlands. It's ****ing cold out here. Been to Portugal before, was close to Albu Feira. Am envious as hell I don't live there. Even though I had the cops chasing me plenty of times in my short vacation there, I liked it a lot. :laugh:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The Netherlands. It's ****ing cold out here. Been to Portugal before, was close to Albu Feira. Am envious as hell I don't live there. Even though I had the cops chasing me plenty of times in my short vacation there, I liked it a lot. :laugh:
So you're Dutch? That explains your stoned statement. Dat legalized marijuana... :troll:

Albufeira? That's close to my hometown of Faro. Yes, I am from the Algarve, that southern Portuguese region loved by many Europeans! ;)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Wait, you live in the Netherlands? I used to live there too. Well you learn something new everyday. :awesome:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Really you live in Faro? That's where my airplane landed! :laugh: Yeah, I live close to Amsterdam, and am happy with my country's 'laws'. :D

Actually, I was not in Albufeira, but in a place called Port .... ??? Forgot the name. But it has many luxurious hotels, nice beaches, far too expensive beer, AWESOME omelets!!, absinthe, and good hash from local dealers. :p Also, crazy taxi drivers and damn, every kilometer you drive there's another golf course! :laugh:

Really Kiwki you lived here? Where did you live?

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
I don't understand hate for Skyward Sword. It's different, so? People complain about motion controls; they couldn't stay like that forever. The artsyle will be all the rage once the new Zelda comes out.
I loved the motion controls, it made the combat a little more interesting. I just found the game boring in comparison to Twilight Princess, Oot and even Windwaker.

What I didn't like most about it was:

1) The art style.
I don't mind a more cartoonish style like if it's done right (i.e. Windwaker) but honestly everything just looked stupid and prevented my imagination from being swept away like it usually is in Zelda games.

2) Too many enclosed spaces. Between dungeons I like feeling free and riding Epona into the sunset, feeling like you're roaming the Hylian landscapes and hunting the enemy. Skyward made the whole game feel like you're in a never ending enclosed dungeon from start to finish (time spent in the town is an exception which I thought was done very well).

3) Story didn't engage me until the very end.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
I didn't. I loved Skyward Sword's style to death. It's detailed and bright; extremely satisfying to look at.
Imo, best Link look evarr.
I too prefer Skyward Sword Link over Twilight Princess Link. The latter had too many details (seriously, stitching on the end of your hat?) and typically looked too serious. SS Link is more human, simplified from TP while carrying some design traits over (blue armguards, belt pouches), and his baggy pants were a huge improvement. Also, the Skyward Sword art style is in no way "semi cel-shaded".
There are no words that can describe how much I hate you two for saying this.

↑ Gimpy looking baggy pants gnome ↑

↓ Sleek and stylish looking elven prince of destiny ↓

Argument = settled.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
There are no words that can describe how much I hate you two for saying this.

↑ Gimpy looking baggy pants gnome ↑

↓ Sleek and stylish looking elven prince of destiny ↓

Argument = settled.
The official artwork begs to differ

And like another user said, they will more than likely bring it into the next smash bros style with its own touches, tp link in smash looked far better than his in game model did in TP

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
ManBearPig.

If you're gonna compare TP to SS. At least use TP's model and not Brawl's. Brawl's model is actually quite unique.

This is TP's model.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If SS Link shows up, their going to make him (And any other SS character that makes it playable) adapt to the Smash 4 style. So SS Link isn't going to look exactly like he did in Skyward Sword. Especially on a powerful console like the Wii U he's likely going to look more like he did in his official art only in smash 4's art style.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Young Link was more based off how he looked in his official art than his OoT incarnation in Melee. If that's what you meant...
No, no. I meant that when comparing two games, we should compare the in-game appearance instead of official artwork.

TheHandyman

Smash Rookie
To respond to an earlier criticism, I don't mind Skyward Sword itself for having Zelda not be a princess. I thought I made that clear. The actual Legend of Zelda series is unlikely to use that trick again. As long as it's a one-off, I don't mind.

And no, I didn't like Tetra. I still don't, actually. Ocarina of Time already used the "princess in disguise" trick. Wind Waker did the exact same thing and made it worse (this is true for quite a lot of the content in Wind Waker--taking what Ocarina of Time had already done and making it worse). I'm not a huge fan of Sheik, but I accept her as a character and storyline trick; at least Zelda knew who she was and what she was doing the whole time. (Incidentally, I liked Sheik's portrayal in Brawl better than in OoT itself.) Wind Waker, though, was the probably the single worst game in the history of the franchise in regards to how it treated Princess Zelda. It's the only game in the series that shouldn't even be called "The Legend of Zelda"--its real title should be "The Legend of the Hero: The Wind Waker." That's one of the major things I dislike about that game. Even Twilight Princess, as disappointing as it was, handled her better than Wind Waker did.

My only problem is the possible portrayal of a non-Princess Zelda in the next Smash game. It would not in any way be representative of the series as a whole. If Zelda is ever only going to be a non-princess once and will be restored to her rightful role in the next Zelda game, why should that get to be represented in a once-in-a-generation type of game? The conundrum, though, is that, so far in its history, the Smash Bros. series has always used material from the most recent Zelda game. Since it's virtually impossible that Zelda U will be out before Smash 4 (I highly doubt we'll even get a glimpse of it before then), I am assuming that game will be Skyward Sword...the only game in the series in which Zelda isn't a princess, therefore making Smash 4 a gross misrepresentation of both the title character and her entire series. One thing the Smash series has always done well is faithfully representing the properties it showcases. Making Zelda a non-princess would be going against that history and purpose.

The easy solution--and the one that 95% of all the companies in the world would take--would be to make multiple costumes for each character. Nintendo did that with Wario in Brawl, and they should open it up into other characters in Smash 4. But with Nintendo, who knows? Personally, I think it's time Nintendo got into the whole "dress up" act that everyone else has gotten crazy about in recent years. They could even charge $3.99 per outfit! What sort of world have we come to....

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
She may not have been a princess during the game but being a direct reincarnation of the goddess is rather something. Not to mention this is the first zelda, all other zeldas are mimicking her.
and who knows, after the game maybe she was crowned as the princess and ruler of the kingdom. After word got out that she was Hylia I think that would happen.

(i just joined in, i might be missing the point. Anyways gunna go watch game of thrones, bbl.)

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
No, no. I meant that when comparing two games, we should compare the in-game appearance instead of official artwork.
Official artwork designs are probably what they use most though when designing these characters for smash, especially since the in game version of SS link has less details than the artwork does. But i agree that in game models from one game will in no way be the same as they are in this upcoming game, especially in this case where this smash bros will not have the graphical shaders and look that SS had.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
To respond to an earlier criticism, I don't mind Skyward Sword itself for having Zelda not be a princess. I thought I made that clear. The actual Legend of Zelda series is unlikely to use that trick again. As long as it's a one-off, I don't mind.

And no, I didn't like Tetra. I still don't, actually. Ocarina of Time already used the "princess in disguise" trick. Wind Waker did the exact same thing and made it worse (this is true for quite a lot of the content in Wind Waker--taking what Ocarina of Time had already done and making it worse). I'm not a huge fan of Sheik, but I accept her as a character and storyline trick; at least Zelda knew who she was and what she was doing the whole time. (Incidentally, I liked Sheik's portrayal in Brawl better than in OoT itself.) Wind Waker, though, was the probably the single worst game in the history of the franchise in regards to how it treated Princess Zelda. It's the only game in the series that shouldn't even be called "The Legend of Zelda"--its real title should be "The Legend of the Hero: The Wind Waker." That's one of the major things I dislike about that game. Even Twilight Princess, as disappointing as it was, handled her better than Wind Waker did.
But Tetra didn't even know she was Zelda unlike Sheik, Tetra was born a pirate, and she believed she was one until she was told who she really was. sure they were disguised for the same purpose (To hide from Ganondorf) but that's where the similarities pretty much end. And I find it quite ironic you accuse Wind Waker for taking things from Ocarina of Time but letting Twilight Princess get away with it despite one of the common criticism's for that game was it reused too many elements from Ocarina of Time.

My only problem is the possible portrayal of a non-Princess Zelda in the next Smash game. It would not in any way be representative of the series as a whole. If Zelda is ever only going to be a non-princess once and will be restored to her rightful role in the next Zelda game, why should that get to be represented in a once-in-a-generation type of game? The conundrum, though, is that, so far in its history, the Smash Bros. series has always used material from the most recent Zelda game. Since it's virtually impossible that Zelda U will be out before Smash 4 (I highly doubt we'll even get a glimpse of it before then), I am assuming that game will be Skyward Sword...the only game in the series in which Zelda isn't a princess, therefore making Smash 4 a gross misrepresentation of both the title character and her entire series. One thing the Smash series has always done well is faithfully representing the properties it showcases. Making Zelda a non-princess would be going against that history and purpose.
That's why I said that Toon Zelda is the best solution for your "problem" here. Wether you like how she was portrayed in Wind Waker or not. She is still a princess and she can fill in your "Zelda needs to be a princess" criteria easily. There, problem solved.

Besides. SS Zelda is still Zelda, she is the title character. The series is named "The Legend of Zelda" not "The Legend of Princess Zelda" (Although that would have lifted many confusions of wether Zelda was the hero or the princess)

The easy solution--and the one that 95% of all the companies in the world would take--would be to make multiple costumes for each character. Nintendo did that with Wario in Brawl, and they should open it up into other characters in Smash 4. But with Nintendo, who knows? Personally, I think it's time Nintendo got into the whole "dress up" act that everyone else has gotten crazy about in recent years. They could even charge $3.99 per outfit! What sort of world have we come to....
Yes she could get different types of clothing and I honestly don't mind that. But if she would only get one, it would likely be her other SS costume... :/

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
The official artwork begs to differ

And like another user said, they will more than likely bring it into the next smash bros style with its own touches, tp link in smash looked far better than his in game model did in TP
I'll meet your okay looking Skyward artwork, and raise you two epic looking Twilight artworks:

ManBearPig.

If you're gonna compare TP to SS. At least use TP's model and not Brawl's. Brawl's model is actually quite unique.

This is TP's model.
Doesn't give you a good impression of how he looks in the game AT ALL since he's standing so robotically with zero emotion..... still looks better than gimpy Skyward gnome link though.

If you haven't seen it yet, last years E3 tech Demo might give us a hint as to how he will look in the next game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_fyOkrteqM
Everything especially Link looks and feels perfect there to me. Best Link evar?

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
While I'm at it, I'll put my two cents into the Impa/Sheik debate:

Everyone is acting as though if one gets in it decreases the chance of the other getting in.
I think it's the complete opposite of this.

If Impa get's in, then it requires little effort to put Sheik back in Zelda's moveset since they could be semi clones requiring much less time/money to be spent on the second one.
Likewise if Sheik is in, Impa is easy to add since she can be a clone.

In that case the Impa supporters and the Sheik supporters should be united under a common cause rather than petty fighting.

(For the record, even though I didn't like Skyward that much... I think Impa is the most logical new Zelda addition and would like to see her playable).

... Although the main thing to me remains giving Ganondorf his own moveset with attacks actually derived from his games.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Zelda roster:
Link
Zelda / Sheik
Ganondorf
Toon Link
Impa

Who's with me?
Ahem................Forgetting something?

Ganondorf with........................ what?

But yes, Zelda is still the highest selling video game series of all time isn't it?
EASILY deserves 5 reps.
Especially since two of them are likely to be clones (Impa and Toon Link... not G'dorf). Three movesets for the most popular game series of all time seems conservative if anything.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Toon Link and Ganondorf should have unique movesets.

Toon Link could have items from his games like the Deku Leaf, the Skull Hammer and such.
Ganondorf should OBVIOUSLY be decloned.

Impa could be a sort of mage fighter, using shadow magic (she's the Sage of Shadow, after all!) and ninja-esque moves.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Toon Link and Ganondorf should have unique movesets.

Toon Link could have items from his games like the Deku Leaf, the Skull Hammer and such.
Ganondorf should OBVIOUSLY be decloned.

Impa could be a sort of mage fighter, using shadow magic (she's the Sage of Shadow, after all!) and ninja-esque moves.
Toon Link would have to be at least a luigified clone. Same physical attacks with some different specials incorporating the items you mentioned.

Impa a luigified clone of Sheik too I guess?

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
If you haven't seen it yet, last years E3 tech Demo might give us a hint as to how he will look in the next game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_fyOkrteqM
Everything especially Link looks and feels perfect there to me. Best Link evar?
They already said that demo was not representative of what the next game will be like, as its been said many times before thats just a tech demo that used TP designs exactly, they were just recreated better than ever before with HD.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
They already said that demo was not representative of what the next game will be like, as its been said many times before thats just a tech demo that used TP designs exactly, they were just recreated better than ever before with HD.
That's why I only said it might give us a hint ;)
A hint that they are going back towards a more Twilight like style perhaps? Otherwise you would think they would base it on the most recent game.

At the very least, if they want to best show of the new HD capabilities of the Wii U then a more Twilight styled game would best show that off.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I still really don't think that they would replace Sheik with Impa. They would just be giving a new character an old characters moveset. That doesn't add anything new to the game besides a character.

I'd rather them have characters from other series rather than replace one that is fine as it is.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
I still really don't think that they would replace Sheik with Impa. They would just be giving a new character an old characters moveset. That doesn't add anything new to the game besides a character.

I'd rather them have characters from other series rather than replace one that is fine as it is.
If you read the most recent line of discussion it has been suggested that Impa would more likely be a clone of Sheik with both in the game.

I have no idea where people got the idea that Impa would need to replace Sheik. We know how resistant Sakurai is to removing characters and how relatively easy it is to make clones.
I'd go so far as to say it's virtually a sure thing that Impa won't get in if Sheik is left out.

It makes sense that Impa would have a very similar moveset to Sheik since she trained Sheik in the first place!
Including a clone of Sheik for a character who makes perfect sense to be a clone and is the most logical Zelda newcomer seems at quite a decent chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom