• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Young Link Discussion

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I actually feel like Marths have a lot of trouble with YL if they have no experience against him.
YL punishes Marth hard for bad spacing.

AXE 09

Smash Master
Cuz if it's just spacies that you're worried about, I think Pikachu is a very good choice :) but unfortunately Pikachu does not do good against Sheik

:phone:

Snowbird

Smash Cadet
I've been playing some pikachu too and really like him. Not a lot of people these days play sheik though, right?

I actually really like the matchup of young link vs marth. I have the most practice against falco, luigi, falcon and ganon, and falco is by far the toughest to fight.

AXE 09

Smash Master
Pikachu just might be your answer. He's pretty good against all the characters you listed. Ganon can be kinda tough sometimes though

rhan

Smash Hero
I'm able to bring top down two stocks or to his last stock as YL.

SHeik v YL isn't ****ing terrible. Just gay.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Sheik's gay is exactly what makes her so tough.

For example, Marth/Sheik is even if Sheik doesn't play gay, but cleanly in her favor if she does.

Snowbird

Smash Cadet
heh it just annoys me how I have probably played ylink atleast 5x longer than any other character but I do just as well with pikachu or marth as I do with ylink. Oh well, he is the most fun for me to play. I was doing a bit better with pikachu during some friendlies against falco though.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
YL is THE funnest character in the game IMO, his weaknesses just prevent him from being tournament viable. His speed and priority combined with his projectiles provide him with tons of play options, but he suffers from piss poor killing ability and lack of range, not to mention how easily he gets comboed for a light character.
At least TL in PM is more up to par.

AXE 09

Smash Master
The only thing that gets me is his poor range. He has a sword, I would think it would be better :(

Oh well, I still love playing this guy :) He has such good maneuverability, it's just so fun haha

EDIT:

*playing training mode right now*

So I just learned that it's easier to drop a bomb on the floor if you short hop backwards, rather than short hopping in place. Awesome :)

I guess it works cuz when you SH backwards, your animation is different (you'll notice YL's arm goes more downwards, so it's closer to the ground when he lands, making it easier to drop the bomb so it doesn't explode).

Snowbird

Smash Cadet
Do you guys have problems with killing? You have so many options... I've never felt this a weakness of ylink. I have much more trouble fighting people at zero percent.

AXE 09

Smash Master
Do you guys have problems with killing? You have so many options... I've never felt this a weakness of ylink. I have much more trouble fighting people at zero percent.
I agree with this actually. YL has that awesome Dair which kills really early off the top. And for those fast fallers, Dsmash gets me a lot of kills at early percents. All it takes for the kill is either a bomb -> Dair, or a techchase Dsmash. And if the Dsmash doesn't kill, YL is pretty decent at edgeguarding imo.

When your opponent is at a very low % though, they seem to be able to counter everything with a crouch cancel =/ it sucks. Everything seems much easier once they reach mid percents.

My general strategy is to just keep chipping damage until they're at a mid percent. Then after that, it's much more safe to approach. Once you get that knockdown or hit them in the air, it's either techchase time or juggling time :) It's just when they're at a low percent when it's difficult for me.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
At low percents I just run away and chuck bombs and boomerangs.
However, I do believe the big issue is getting kills.
Particularly against opponents with superior range, YL has to get in to get that kill.
You have to do a set-up to get that dair since its too slow to just run in.

Hawk Flindaeton

Smash Cadet
At low percents I just run away and chuck bombs and boomerangs.
However, I do believe the big issue is getting kills.
Particularly against opponents with superior range, YL has to get in to get that kill.
You have to do a set-up to get that dair since its too slow to just run in.
Try (if your cornered) A-A-Up+B. It has worked for me so many times!:)

AXE 09

Smash Master
At FC, 1.2 was the tournament standard :( So if we're playing on 1.0, the other player can request to play on 1.2 if they wish. So freakin dumb. I was really upset about that.

I ended up having to play Hbox on 1.2 because I wasn't allowed to switch to 1.0.

xKobayashi

Smash Apprentice
do u guys think there is any meta game potential of dropping bombs on the ground as a method of stock piling bombs?

jw...

Snowbird

Smash Cadet
Nice games axe. You use nair a whole lot. I knew it was pretty good but not that good.

Armada

Smash Lord
I wanna play on 1.0 too.
That should be the standard version if you are playing a bad char ;)

Theftz22

Smash Lord
I love my 1.0 copy. Honestly, if there were more copies, it should be the tourney standard. All it does is give slight buffs to a few low tiers.

But anyway, Axe, did you consider using the super-jump after a kill to wait out the invincibility frames and drop a few bombs from above? I guess it works a bit better with link because he stays up much longer, but it might still work. I think it's probably better than building up a bomb stock that blows up in your face lol.

Composeur

Smash Ace
What are the important differences that make 1.0 better for low-tiers? I had no idea that the version differences noticeably impacted gameplay! There's so much to know about this game :D

Theftz22

Smash Lord
Well, 1.0 you can't sdi out of multi-hitting 1% moves. That helps things like young-link's up-B and zelda Fsmash. Bowser also has his flame cancel in 1.0 and 1.1 only. Y.link and link have the super jump and a boomerang catch cancels the zair (as shown by axe). Ganon's nair is a bit quicker. Ness can charge his yoyo over the ledge (janky edguards lol).

Small things, but low-tiers need everything they can get. Y.link and link definitely get the biggest buff. Here's a full list of version differences:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=321230

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
The boomerang cancel grapple is actually quite significant, really helps his recovery.

I agree with Armada, low tier players should be allowed to play in 1.0 if they wish to, anything Pika and below.

AXE 09

Smash Master
I wanna play on 1.0 too.
That should be the standard version if you are playing a bad char ;)
I agree with this whole heartedly. I don't understand why they couldn't let us use 1.0 if we request it. The only thing it does is help the lower tiered characters, and it's so unfair to take those small advantages away from them. I was thinking about making a thread and starting a riot about it until 1.0 is allowed at tournaments, taking priority over 1.2 if requested lol

Top Bottom