• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Young Link Discussion

Sukai

Smash Champion
Someone needs to go out to a major with this guy. He's so elusive and buttery I think he can manage.
He definitely doesn't feel as bad as he looks on the tier list.

Also are there any flaws to Up.B OoS? Seemed legit to me when I used it, but it look's super DI-able. Can't be too sure.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
make sure you have v1.0.

if you do use it, if you don't avoid it

AXE 09

Smash Master
1.0 and 1.1 are definitely best for YL. If I ever play him, I always make sure it's not 1.2. If it's 1.2 then I usually don't even wanna play him lol.

:phone:

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Why 1.1? I thought 1.0 was the only version where you couldn't SDI(not sure if its this) hits that do 1% or less, which made multihit moves like Zelda's fsmash, Samus' upB, YL's upB, etc. good.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
At big tournies, do they even bother checking what version of Melee is on a set-up?

The strangest thing has to be different geographic releases of Smash 64. The PAL version for some reason gave Link a faster air speed so his recovery doesn't suck as much, the JP version has many different hitbox and moveset properties, and entirely different hit sound effects.
I think JP Link with PAL Link's airspeed would be ****.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Only the Japanese version of 64 is different.

NTSC-U Melee and NTSC-J Melee are identical, I believe.
There are small differences in the PAL version for 64 compared to NTSC-U.
For example, Link having a faster air speed.
I've played every version, NTSC is easily my least favorite, especially for Link.
His utilt combos at lower percents and has killing potential, his attacks are overall stronger and he has better jumps. If only his airspeed were like PAL, he'd definitely be low-mid tier instead of bottom.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
so i was playing ylink against dk, and i was holding a bomb, before it exploded i punished a roll with the upB as a joke, the bomb exploded, and i upBed again giving him a ton of damage. is this a viable thing,

tl:dr upB enemy -> bomb explodes ->attack

odinNJ

Smash Lord
ok i messed around with the bomb trick more, i find if you personnally have enough damage when you do it, the second b up will become an aerial b-up with the finishing hit on the end.
this is a bad strategy but it is hilarious to pull off.

AXE 09

Smash Master
So today I learned that Nair has more horizontal knockback than Fair does. I had no idea lol. Sometimes when I go for horizontal kills, I go for a Fair and they barely live. I guess I should be using Nair instead lol

odinNJ

Smash Lord
doesnt his fair have better tragectroy, since the nair also hits diagonal up. i may be thinking of link so if im completely wrong ignore me

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I'm not a fan of YL's fair, its range is sad, the start-up time doesn't compensate, and you have to sweetspot it to even have a chance of killing.
Nair is much better.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Nair is way more reliable for killing. *****es don't know about this Ylink. I wana main him. I need to upload this video I have.

AXE 09

Smash Master
I wanna start practicing my YL specifically for Peach/Jigglypuff mains. I'll use him in other matchups too of course but not in tournament. I think my Pika/Falco is better at every other matchup except for those two. So here comes a 3rd character :)

t3h Icy

Smash Master
I wanna start practicing my YL specifically for Peach/Jigglypuff mains. I'll use him in other matchups too of course but not in tournament. I think my Pika/Falco is better at every other matchup except for those two. So here comes a 3rd character :)
Honestly, you really need it. It's so sad to see a rare Pikachu main do so well, but get slaughtered by Peach and Puff all the time. Hope it works out!

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
damn you axe, now you'll make us other Y.links look bad whenever we do something good.

SSBM_Sora

The Yung God
AXE!! I didn't get to play you last APEX. Hopefully i see you at the next one. I want to play your falco and pikachu with my young link. I've gotten way better since those videos were uploaded.

AXE 09

Smash Master
AXE!! I didn't get to play you last APEX. Hopefully i see you at the next one. I want to play your falco and pikachu with my young link. I've gotten way better since those videos were uploaded.
I will most likely be there, and by then hopefully I'll be playing YL more confidently :D I wanna play him at FC also, but I'm not sure if I'll be ready in time. We'll see :) Heck yeah we'll play some friendlies!!

So, the most important thing I've learned about Young Link so far is... he's freakin awesome :cool:

Top Bottom