• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What language should Marth speak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Thanks Maikou, almost forgot that detail, in the Wii Fit Trainer reveal WFT was speaking japanese.

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Maybe Marth should just speak whichever language(s) the game is in? and have the option to choose his voice for each possible language?
That would be great. Hell a total overall language switch like in Pokemon X and Y would be awesome actually.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
My degaday should remain untouched. :V

In all seriousness, it's not a huge issue, but I'd at least like the option for JP Marth. The voice is iconic at this stage.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
His japanese voice should stay. We had that in Melee and Brawl, wouldn't make sense to change things now.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
He should speak Hylian.
I couldn't care less what he speaks, I just hope that the game HAS a language option, if only to hear the wii fit trainer in japanese and spanish.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
OMG! You reminded of Pkmn trainer's spanish voice.

http://youtu.be/DwL8vGfUfUw?t=2m57s

Spanish translation always butchers the names of the pokemon.

Edit: Even though I copy the link of the video on the minute I want it to start, I can't get it to work right for the life of me. Can someone help me on this?

Last edited:

Awaji66

Smash Apprentice
Marth should stay with Japanese. He would lose something in-depth if he speaks another language, at this point.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I wouldn't mind having him dubbed in other languages if the voice actors are decent, but I would really love it if they brought back the language swap option that they had in Melee, especially if you could select specific characters to be swapped.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marthmario

Smash Lord
I honestly would be a bit bothered if it was anything but Japanese, but in all honesty, I think it will stay Japanese.

Maikou

Smash Ace
I might have to agree with Pacack here. It's hard for me to NOT imagine Marth using japanese terms like -san -kun -chan -dono and others, especially if he DOES get an english voice for this game. Plus the voice changing option still remains in tact no matter what.......unless somebody is seriously stupid enough to deny that that would work.....

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I might have to agree with Pacack here. It's hard for me to NOT imagine Marth using japanese terms like -san -kun -chan -dono and others, especially if he DOES get an english voice for this game. Plus the voice changing option still remains in tact no matter what.......unless somebody is seriously stupid enough to deny that that would work.....
And when I mean "heavy Japanese accent", I'm talking heavy Japanese accent. Borderline difficult-to-understand Japanese accent levels.

It would be a great reference to him being a previously Japan-only character that's now had an English(/Non-Japanese) release. He "learned how to speak English" for that game.

Maikou

Smash Ace
Well, I'm thinking more along the lines of a light accent as long as they get a VA who can make his voice sound the japanese one. I'd like to hear him in clear English when he speaks with a noticable trace of Japanese accent.

Animalese is for Animals XD

I guess what I'm saying is that I'd like for Marth to sound like he's Japanese, but speak clear English with an accent that makes sure we KNOW he's Japanese. or just speak whichever language the game is in with a language changing option for each character. A system kinda like turning random stages on/off.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Well, I'm thinking more along the lines of a light accent as long as they get a VA who can make his voice sound the japanese one. I'd like to hear him in clear English when he speaks with a noticable trace of Japanese accent.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'd like for Marth to sound like he's Japanese, but speak clear English with an accent that makes sure we KNOW he's Japanese. or just speak whichever language the game is in with a language changing option for each character. A system kinda like turning random stages on/off.
I suppose that would work fine. Maybe an Iwata-strength accent?

NefariousShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NefariousShyGuy
3DS FC
3609-1047-1128
Already said it in the E3 boards, but might as well copypasta here.

I want Marth to have his English voice done by Spike Spencer, the English voice of Marth in the Fire Emblem OVA. I think the English voice fits Marth's personality well. Spike also did the English voice of Excellus in Fire Emblem Awakening, so his chances of reprising his role as Marth are high.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UN_lqoBO5A

This was a direct-to-video dub of the late 90s, so expect bad acting in the video. However, Spike still manages to do a good job.

And for those who think Marth's original Japanese sounds more manlier and cooler, well you're completely wrong, cause to the Japanese, Marth sounds 100% youthful and flamboyant. Again, I think Spike's voice of Marth is great.

KatKit

Smash Lord
The real solution is if the Japanese voice actor tried to say some lines in English but it sounds French.

On a serious note... I hope the game has an option to switch languages, but I wish Marth was the only character to speak Japanese regardless.

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
And for those who think Marth's original Japanese sounds more manlier and cooler, well you're completely wrong, cause to the Japanese, Marth sounds 100% youthful and flamboyant. Again, I think Spike's voice of Marth is great.
Well crap, I thought Marth's original Japanese is cooler, but I guess I can't think that anymore because apparently it doesn't match other people's opinions.

Maikou

Smash Ace
Already said it in the E3 boards, but might as well copypasta here.

I want Marth to have his English voice done by Spike Spencer, the English voice of Marth in the Fire Emblem OVA. I think the English voice fits Marth's personality well. Spike also did the English voice of Excellus in Fire Emblem Awakening, so his chances of reprising his role as Marth are high.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UN_lqoBO5A

This was a direct-to-video dub of the late 90s, so expect bad acting in the video. However, Spike still manages to do a good job.

I agree with you 100%! This is who should voice Marth if he gets an english voice for Smash 4! he sounds just like his Japanese counterpart! admittedly the actual voice work DOES kinda suck there, but then again that anime is kinda ancient, so....yeah. love it or hate it, I feel Marth needs to speak something we can understand. I'd like to be able to tell what Marth is shouting when he counters my counter-counter as Lucario xD All I hear is "Rashimurukai!" all the time lol.....

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Did anyone hear his voice in the tournament?

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
He uses recycled voice clips from Melee. But it may just be a placeholder for now.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Did marth, speak japanese, in SSBU Tournament?
Yes. I want to point out that the tournament demo had all the character's names in their localized versions here (i.e. Koopa is Bowser in English, Gekkouga is Greninja, etc.). It's possible that Marth's English VA hasn't provided his voice work yet, but I'm going to assume that Marth will still speak Japanese worldwide.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
It was so loud where I was playing, I had no hope of hearing what Marth sounded like. I came here to find out. I'm not surprised that Marth speaks Japanese yet again, but wouldn't mind at all if they dubbed him, finally.

Hong

The Strongest
Corrections:
Some characters have new, proper, English voice lines, some do not.
WFT and Pit have English voice work. Greninja... maybe? I could swear he shouts "NO!" when he dies.

Marth uses recycled voice lines. Probably a placeholder. I say this because his mouth moves on the victory screen, but nothing comes out. This implies that he is, to no surprise, a WIP.
Edit - But has the Japanese lines in the e3 build, hm.

Should have tried to taunt, in hindsight.

Last edited:

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
I'm pretty sure Sonic's new voice work hasn't been done yet. Because he recycles a clip from Generations when he transforms into Super Sonic. So, hopefully, not all the voice work is done yet. It's about time Marth got some new voice clips, regardless of language. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom