• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What language should Marth speak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuckduck

Smash Ace
Sorry, but after "I fight for my friends!" and "You'll get no sympathy from me", I hardly have much trust in the English localisation team.
Yeah, the dubbing of Japanese media isn't really that good at all. I much prefer "subs" over "dubs".

Not to mention.......this.

Last edited:

McMilla1228

Smash Cadet
Now, I'm a guy that prefers dubs, but I think Marth should speak Japanese for the sake of tradition. However if Marth were to gain an english VA I wouldn't mind it seeing as Nintendo's more recent localizations are quite good. Especially games such as Kid Icarus: Uprising, Fire Emblem: Awakening, and Bravely Default.

LF2K

Floor Diver
After today's reveal, I think it's safe to say Marth will most likely speak English this time. Since the Awakening cast lives in the same universe as Marth does, they need to stay consistent with the language.

I just want Spike Spencer to come back. That'd be so cool if he did.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I wouldn't mind at all if they kept the Japanese. Anyway, all characters in the demo got English voices, except Marth, curiously.

Of course, it's a demo and it's subject to change, but if they had all English voice work for all other characters done, such as Pit, Fox and Greninja, it is strange why Marth doesn't, assuming he will be dubbed in English.

If they keep the Japanese, fine by me. If Marth gets an English voice, it should sound fitting for the character. Considering the good dubs KIU and FEA had and how Nintendo has been getting better when it comes to voice acting in their games, there's no excuse to mess this up.

I think they will keep the Japanese voice and be the only character not to be dubbed, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. And hearing foreign languages has never hurt anybody. Japanese, English... those are foreign languages to me anyway, so that's why I don't really care about what language Marth speaks. lol

And no offense, I never thought I'd see the day someone preferred censored anime over the original. A dub is fine as long as the story elements are kept intact (and it's not live-action). Censorship is bad and shouldn't be tolerated in this age. Sure, there are cultural differences in the world, but that shouldn't be an excuse to alter works unnecessarily.

That doesn't mean there shouldn't be any exceptions, obviously, but there's a lot of censoring that completely butchers the original story and possibly any message or intention of the author. I know there are anime creators that get pissed off at things like that happening. If I were the author of a story and it got censored and cut for some reason, I certainly wouldn't like it.

(Okay... this was longer than I expected...)

Last edited:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I'm hoping English, it'd be weird if he was the only Fire Emblem character not to have an English voice actor.

BrianAure

Smash Cadet
I'm hoping English, it'd be weird if he was the only Fire Emblem character not to have an English voice actor.
I might cry if he doesn't at least have customization of voices. I love the Japanese voice actor who did marth.

Nintendrone

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintendrone42
3DS FC
2535-3781-8442
Switch FC
SW 3369 4102 5813
One can only hope for a language switch like in Melee. It'd make both camps happy unless they only want some characters to speak Japanese.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
After today's reveal, I think it's safe to say Marth will most likely speak English this time. Since the Awakening cast lives in the same universe as Marth does, they need to stay consistent with the language.

Yes, SpikeSpencer as Mars is awesome,he voiced a dude in Awakening so why not Smash 4?

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Definitely English to live up to / against Ike's voice (which I think is badass as all hell).

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think that Marth should get an English voice, but they can have the Japanese voice option for people who prefer the Japanese. I doubt ALL the characters in the demo had "final" voices. Sonic and Fox were especially bad and felt like filler they just dragged from existing games due to requiring updates voice actors for the two of them.

Stompu

Smash Apprentice
Make it japanese again
So Marth remains a western-looking character that speaks japanese and a feminine looking character that is male

Sparklepower

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Overfired
Regardless, I hope they offer a choice between English and Japanese voice acting. I like to keep melee set to Japanese just to hear Falco, Fox, and Mewtwo's awesome Japanese voices. I was really disappointed that Brawl didn't have a similar option.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
I think that Marth should get an English voice, but they can have the Japanese voice option for people who prefer the Japanese. I doubt ALL the characters in the demo had "final" voices. Sonic and Fox were especially bad and felt like filler they just dragged from existing games due to requiring updates voice actors for the two of them.
I don't do voice acting or games, but Fox's voice sucks and sounds ridiculous, and people make fun of him:
Also, skip to 15: 38.

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I would really love an English voice for Marth, but my only worry is that it will suck. Like, worse than Fox.

Crawfish

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1393-8146
i am deathly afraid of an english speaking marth guys. STOP SAYING YOU WANT IT! O:>
btw i think fox sounds fine with the exception of FIE Yer...!
oh yeah if they could bring language select back that would be the best

Last edited:

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Either way, Japanese or English, Marth will have that higher pitched voice. They could easily give Marth a manlier voice but that just isn't Marth. I mean it's not necessarily a girly voice but it certainly isn't an Ike kind of voice either. Never been a fan of it. I guess they wanted it to sound... noble?

At any rate, at least if he spoke English, you'd know what he's saying...

Nintendrone

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintendrone42
3DS FC
2535-3781-8442
Switch FC
SW 3369 4102 5813
@ L9999 L9999 Watched the videos. Holy crap is Fox's voice bad; it's like it's infused with Slippy's Assault voice. Sakurai, please get Spike Spencer back for Marth! He sounds just like the current Marth, only in English. Also, I think the thing people don't like about Pit's voice is that it's obnoxiously loud in Smash 4 when it wasn't like that in Uprising.

Crawfish

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1393-8146
Either way, Japanese or English, Marth will have that higher pitched voice. They could easily give Marth a manlier voice but that just isn't Marth. I mean it's not necessarily a girly voice but it certainly isn't an Ike kind of voice either. Never been a fan of it. I guess they wanted it to sound... noble?

At any rate, at least if he spoke English, you'd know what he's saying...
his character is very kind. the voice fits the character. just look at him.
i don't want to know what he's saying if it sounds bad though <:(

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I think a Russian Marth would be entertaining.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
@ L9999 L9999 Watched the videos. Holy crap is Fox's voice bad; it's like it's infused with Slippy's Assault voice. Sakurai, please get Spike Spencer back for Marth! He sounds just like the current Marth, only in English. Also, I think the thing people don't like about Pit's voice is that it's obnoxiously loud in Smash 4 when it wasn't like that in Uprising.
The curiosity here is that the guy who voices Marth in the Japanese ver. is the guy that gives Marth's voice in Smash Bros.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
I wouldn't mind at all if they kept the Japanese. Anyway, all characters in the demo got English voices, except Marth, curiously.
Fox's and Little Mac's grunts sounded like they came from someone in Japan. Mac doesn't worry me that much since he's a silent protagonist like Link, and could get away with it, but Fox's case is different.

Then again I didn't hear Fox's Victory Quote, does he speak english? If he does i'd also like a source video with clear audio.

I like you. Spike Spencer did a good job as Marth, and overall he's also one of the most popular English VAs out there.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Fox's and Little Mac's grunts sounded like they came from someone in Japan. Mac doesn't worry me that much since he's a silent protagonist like Link, and could get away with it, but Fox's case is different.

Then again I didn't hear Fox's Victory Quote, does he speak english? If he does i'd also like a source video with clear audio.

I like you. Spike Spencer did a good job as Marth, and overall he's also one of the most popular English VAs out there.
Fox speaks english, you can hear it right at the end (couldn't find anything better)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81nQVRA0UGI

Last edited:

LF2K

Floor Diver
It's hard to tell just who's voicing Mac. My guess would be the same guy who voiced him in the Wii game , Matt Harty. They got Doc's voice actor back, so Mac's should return too.

But back to Marth. I've noticed he's silent in Robin's trailer and the Direct from awhile ago. Perhaps he really does have a new voice?

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
But back to Marth. I've noticed he's silent in Robin's trailer and the Direct from awhile ago. Perhaps he really does have a new voice?
My guess is simply that Robin and Lucina were the ones in the spotlight, and it felt unnecessary to have Marth or even Ike speak a single word. At this point I'd like to see Spike back but I'm also okay with a new VA choice, if they got Laura Bailey, Michelle Ruff, David Vincent and even Matthew Mercer (at least for the Final Smash), then I'm sure they're going in for the "to-go" voice actors.

Also I'm sure I'm alone in this, but I'd like for Ike to have a new voice actor.

GlitchyFireEmblem

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nowiwowi
I want him to speak in Japanese because after all this time, it'd be strange to hear Marth jn English. Also it'd be weird having him change from Japanese to English.

SunnyDust

Smash Journeyman
Keep him Japanese. He'd probably sound as soulless as Ike if they ever decide to give him an English voice. Plus, it's part of his charm.

makes sense right

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom