• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What language should Marth speak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
I'm pretty sure Sonic's new voice work hasn't been done yet. Because he recycles a clip from Generations when he transforms into Super Sonic. So, hopefully, not all the voice work is done yet. It's about time Marth got some new voice clips, regardless of language. :p
I hope so, "Super Sonic style" doesn't mesh well when he goes Super Sonic, "Now I'll show you" was far better and more dramatic and was perfect for Super Sonic, I hope you're right that this changes in the final version.

It seems Marth might still have his Japanese voice for now, but it's probably going to change when the 3DS version of the game hits stores this October.

McMilla1228

Smash Cadet
And when I mean "heavy Japanese accent", I'm talking heavy Japanese accent. Borderline difficult-to-understand Japanese accent levels.

It would be a great reference to him being a previously Japan-only character that's now had an English(/Non-Japanese) release. He "learned how to speak English" for that game.
I immediately thought of Japan in Hetalia's English Dub.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I would prefer he remain Japanese only, mostly out of fear that they'd get a terrible actor to portray him in English... That said, if I could be guaranteed to like his voice actor, it'd be nice to understand what he says for once haha.

Maikou

Smash Ace
Considering this is Nintendo and how most of their VAs (IN MY OPINION) are ranging from great to perfect, I'd say there's nothing to worry about with Marth's VA. then again this is a dub, and I'm the only guy in the world who appreciates dubs in the first place, so.......I'd say everyone's gonna rage if Marth gets an english voice in the first place.

Doesn't matter how good, it's a dub so it has to suck. THat's the law.

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Considering this is Nintendo and how most of their VAs (IN MY OPINION) are ranging from great to perfect, I'd say there's nothing to worry about with Marth's VA. then again this is a dub, and I'm the only guy in the world who appreciates dubs in the first place, so.......I'd say everyone's gonna rage if Marth gets an english voice in the first place.

Doesn't matter how good, it's a dub so it has to suck. THat's the law.
Personally I prefer dubs. I never understood people liking a language or voice they can't understand better just on principle. But, that doesn't mean that some dubs aren't total ass you know? So with a character that's been around for as long as Marth, the expectations are kinda high.

Maikou

Smash Ace
Personally I prefer dubs. I never understood people liking a language or voice they can't understand better just on principle. But, that doesn't mean that some dubs aren't total *** you know? So with a character that's been around for as long as Marth, the expectations are kinda high.
THANK YOU! FINALLY ANOTHER PERSON WHO DOESN'T HATE THE DUBS! I know that some dubs are rather lacking, mostly in Sonic X where they refused to say "die" (....I still don't get how people don't understand that "Taken away" in the context of that show still means "killed" Seriously, dude holds gun, Professor says they took her away, how does one not get "killed" from that context given that one knows that words and phrases have different meanings in contexts. Where does it straight up say "captured and taken away" anyway? I sure didn't hear any implication of "taken away" as it's normally used).

Maybe I just have super low standards (Other M, Shadow the Hedgehog [game], etc.) or maybe it's "Nostalgia Immunity" in my case, but I just tend to like the dubs and censorings. Honestly though, I'd expect rather high quality from a Marth dub as well. Still, I'm not exactly "IT HAS TO BE THIS GUY OR THIS ONE OR BLAH BLAH DUBRAGE". If the voice works, it works.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
THANK YOU! FINALLY ANOTHER PERSON WHO DOESN'T HATE THE DUBS! I know that some dubs are rather lacking, mostly in Sonic X where they refused to say "die" (....I still don't get how people don't understand that "Taken away" in the context of that show still means "killed" Seriously, dude holds gun, Professor says they took her away, how does one not get "killed" from that context given that one knows that words and phrases have different meanings in contexts. Where does it straight up say "captured and taken away" anyway? I sure didn't hear any implication of "taken away" as it's normally used).

Maybe I just have super low standards (Other M, Shadow the Hedgehog [game], etc.) or maybe it's "Nostalgia Immunity" in my case, but I just tend to like the dubs and censorings. Honestly though, I'd expect rather high quality from a Marth dub as well. Still, I'm not exactly "IT HAS TO BE THIS GUY OR THIS ONE OR BLAH BLAH DUBRAGE". If the voice works, it works.
Personally, as a huge Marth fan, I do have somewhat high expectations as to what would be a good dub, but that isn't really because the Japanese voice is so cool or anything. It's just that because I can't really understand the Japanese voice it can't really annoy me in terms of what he's saying or how he's saying it. It's just... kinda there.

Maikou

Smash Ace
Personally I love the way Marth's japanese voice sounds. I think it's pretty cool. However at the same time I can't stand not knowing what he's saying. I'm just kinda hoping for the guy who voices Marth in the dub of the Fire Emblem anime is one the voices him over here. considering Nintendo's track record ith VA's, (Especially taking into account the amazing masterpiece of Voice Acting in Kid Icarus: Uprising) I'd say we have nothing to worry about with the quality.

You know, speaking of dubs and I know this is a bit off-topic, but anyone else notice how the Pokemon anime was actually better when 4Kids was doing the dub? They didn't censor the attacks like they do now. (seriously why do they have to do "black screen white mark" when the attack hits?! just show it, darn you!)

Loachy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Loachy
3DS FC
3780-9091-2349
It's not like he says anything particularly interesting anyway lol

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
I'd personally want English, because
1) When I imagine Marth speaking English, its really bad Engrish. I would love to hear an English voice mostly so I can stop imaging that.
2) Considering his Japanese quotes seem to be recycled from Brawl(or at least that's what I've heard), having a new voice helps freshen the character up for me.That goes for pretty much all the characters with new VA's.

Some of his weird quotes can obviously be changed for English, with a similar meaning, it happens all the time.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I, personally, would like English, but Japanese would also make sense.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I could see Marth getting dubbed in every language, actually.

Think about it. The way he spoke Japanese in Melee and Brawl was a nod to how all of the games he appeared in were exclusive to Japan. Now that Shadow Dragon had a worldwide release, the allusion isn't there any more.

Zango

Smash Apprentice
I think he should speak Japanese.

I'm sure his English voice would be fine objectively, but it'll bother the daylights out of me seeing as how used to him speaking Japanese I am.

It'd be like watching all the Japanese episodes of an anime and then going and finishing the series on the English dub--they'll probably be okay, but it'll sound so absurd compared to what you're used to that it'll just become comically tragic.

Maikou

Smash Ace
I think he should speak Japanese.

I'm sure his English voice would be fine objectively, but it'll bother the daylights out of me seeing as how used to him speaking Japanese I am.

It'd be like watching all the Japanese episodes of an anime and then going and finishing the series on the English dub--they'll probably be okay, but it'll sound so absurd compared to what you're used to that it'll just become comically tragic.
You. Me. Private Conversation please.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
As someone who had no idea who Marth was at the time I first saw him in Melee, I thought that his Japanese VA was cool and suited my first impression of who he was pretty well. I'd keep the Japanese, personally. :)

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I don't see any real reason to change Marth's language. His Japanese voice stays japanese because of his relation to Smash Brothers.

Marth was introduced to Americans by Smash Brothers and as a Japanese only Nintendo character. His speaking voice helps contribute to that, it is sort of his quirk.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I hope so, "Super Sonic style" doesn't mesh well when he goes Super Sonic, "Now I'll show you" was far better and more dramatic and was perfect for Super Sonic, I hope you're right that this changes in the final version.

It seems Marth might still have his Japanese voice for now, but it's probably going to change when the 3DS version of the game hits stores this October.
Actually I think "Super Sonic style" fits this super sonic since the roger craig smith sonic is much more silly and comedic.
Also as long as he gets better lines I'd prefer an English Marth

Last edited:

jigglover

Smash Lord
I think that Marth should retain his Japanese voice, because Fire Emblem is a very Japanese-esque series IMO. It's like if Lip was introduced into Super Smash Bros. I think she should have her Japanese voice as well. I haven't played any Fire Emblem games, so it would be weird to have Marth speaking English for me.

Nintendrone

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintendrone42
3DS FC
2535-3781-8442
Switch FC
SW 3369 4102 5813
As neat as it is for Marth to speak Japanese, he's not Japan-exclusive anymore. I think he should speak English, although of course up to a high standard. TBH, I think it would make more sense for Lucas to speak Japanese since he is fully Japan-only.

Tenchi Boom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TenchiBoom
He HAS to speak English. It's how we've all known him for 10+ years. It'll be... odd to hear him in a badly dubbed English voice.

"SASERU MONO KA!"

Maikou

Smash Ace
He HAS to speak Japanese. It's how we've all known him for 10+ years. It'll be... odd to hear him in a badly dubbed English voice.

"SASERU MONO KA!"
Fixed.
Also, you are making assumptions that Marth's VA would be a horrible one solely on the fact that most people hate dubs. Let me say it this way........

NEVER MAKE ASSUMPTIONS.

Tenchi Boom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TenchiBoom
It's not that. It's just I dont want Marth to be saying cheesy stuff like "everyone, look at me!". It would sound silly. Atleast with the Japanese VA we can pretend it sounds cool.

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Best alternative, Blazblue style VA choices.

Pick what VA you want for each character English or Japanese, and have one for both so you can choose.

Last edited:

Tenchi Boom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TenchiBoom
Dubs aren't exact. Marth's taunt could easily be changed to "Everyone, watch over me!" or something similar.
That doesn't sound any better. This is why he needs his Japanese voice.

It's surprising how about 90% of Melee's VAs were Japanese.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
It's not that. It's just I dont want Marth to be saying cheesy stuff like "everyone, look at me!". It would sound silly. Atleast with the Japanese VA we can pretend it sounds cool.
That's what the localization team is for. If there's anything that doesn't make sense in English (due to context, language quirks, etc), then it can be changed.

Heck, they could make him just silently wave his sword if they want.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
If I could choose a VA for Marth, my pick would be a bit on the manly side but how about

Liam O'Brien :p

Tenchi Boom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TenchiBoom
That's what the localization team is for. If there's anything that doesn't make sense in English (due to context, language quirks, etc), then it can be changed.

Heck, they could make him just silently wave his sword if they want.
Sorry, but after "I fight for my friends!" and "You'll get no sympathy from me", I hardly have much trust in the English localisation team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom