• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What language should Marth speak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
What if he just spoke both, some lines in Japanese, and the others in English (of course use same vo or that'd sound weird o.o).

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
Japanese. It would be weird if he didn't say "Minna, miteite kure!" anymore.

HeavySmashGuy

Smash Cadet
NNID
HeavyBrawlsGuy
3DS FC
1977-1276-9162
I really don't think I need to say anything here. Japanese is clearly outnumbering English.

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
I wouldn't mind if he stayed Japanese or spoke English now. However, if he should stay Japanese, they should give him some new dialogue.
His voice actor is also pretty much perfect, so I wonder if they decide to update his Japanese voice if they get the same guy or someone new.
Voice acting has never been one of Nintendo's strong points, though. I wouldn't be surprised if they kept reused it.

finalark

SNORLAX
I wouldn't mind English lines as a nod to the fact that Marth's series is no longer Japan exclusive. Plus Shadow Dragon came out over here.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
English would be fine. Spike Spencer -the VA who voiced Marth in the dubbed OVA- has been doing a lot of great work lately, plus... come on guys, give the dubs a chance.

Tradition is fine and everything, but I'm sure there must be others interested in seeing how the English Voice would work.

Spears In Smash Bros.

Smash Journeyman
I'm all for Marth speaking English, if only for the potential to see Marth speaking with Shinji Ikari's voice.

Plus he only spoke Japanese in Brawl and Melee because none of his games were released in the US at the time. The same goes for Roy as well, but I have no idea what language he'd speak if he's in SSB4. Ike spoke English in Brawl, seeing as how both of his games got international releases.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
If his voice is in English, I hope he doesn't sound like Justin Beiber. :urg:

Either way, I'm neutral to the issue.

finalark

SNORLAX
If that's the case, I think the best option would be having an option to select.

I would actually be completely okay with this. I wouldn't mind if they had a system similar to Dragon's Crown where you can set the language for each individual character, or on player profiles.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
English. Marth speaking Japanese in Brawl always bothered me, especially since Ike spoke English. He's not a Japanese character, so he should only speak Japanese in the Japanese version of the game (Or as a language option).

The characters in Punch-Out!! speaking their native language was perfectly fine because it's their native language. Marth is from a fictional world. This is the same reason I don't like having Japanese voices in MvC3. Either speak your native language, or speak my language.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
He already DOES speak English.

"Me? Naw. Meat may regret it." :troll:

In all serious :ness2:, I think Marth should stay Japanese. It's got charm to it.

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Japanese. Though an option to select would probably be best.

-TAG-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuprSmashKing16
Well looks like we'll have to do a wait and see if something pops up on voice actors for the game or something. Personally I'd want to hear him speak English this time around it always felt awkward having him being the only Japanese speaking character in Brawl, if they brought in a Japanese voice option in the game then it would solve the problem of people wanting to keep his Japanese voice though at the cost of replacing English speaking characters with their Japanese voices.

Mkan

Smash Rookie
NNID
AssertivePenguin
3DS FC
2535-3815-4887
I'm very much for the idea of him speaking English. In an english released game, I expect at least the option to have all the characters speak English.

But it really doesn't matter all that much. If it stays Japanese only I won't mind too much, but I'll just be irked a little.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I'd rather keep the Japanese VA. They could have changed him in Brawl since they had more time/money and other such reasons, but chose not to anyways. I think it would be sad to see his Japanese voice leave the character. For nostalgia and character identification purposes.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Japanese, it'd be awkward if he spoke eng. I didn't see anyone complaining about his voice in melee in brawl, why now?

Also his counter won't sound epic anymore if its changed.....

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
While his Japanese voice has charm and sounds great, having Marth primarily speak English would be better. He spoke Japanese because Fire Emblem wasn't a global series by Melee. It feels as if though it would be a bit of a downgrade to his character. Of course, having him speak some Japanese phrases would be good. Also not concerned about the voice actor.

Fox and Falco once had the Japanese seiyus supplement their victory quotes in Melee as "Misshun comprete!" and I always thought they were speaking Latin or something when I was younger. And let's not forget Marth's "Lets dance!"

TrainerLITTLER

Smash Ace
NNID
TrainerLITTLER
He did speak English in both Shadow Dragon and Awakening. I personally would like for him to speak English, for not only would we understand what he's saying with ease, but come on. Don't you want to know what he'd sound like?

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
Stick with the Japanese.

I don't want another Ike "I fight for my friends" Greil.

NameChange

Banned via Warnings
This thread is like anime dub vs sub

Btw I like either Japanese or English voice for Marth

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
Of course he should speak English. None of this "that is how it has always been" thing. He has only been in two Smash games. Nothing traditional about it.

While I have faith in Nintendo to have better voice work in SSB4 than they did with Brawl (they have done great work since then), I would hope they have language options as they did with Melee. Hopefully per character.

DJVictor

Smash Cadet
NNID
VictorLarbi
i say he should talk japanese like he did in the other games

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
Eh...I'd have to say English. That way I would definitely see him as a boy and not a girl. lol

UltimateWario

Smash Master
If anything, he really should speak some European language. As someone said before, I think French would likely be most fitting; it fits his character, keeps the mystery, and the completely non-Japanese prince no longer speaks a language he has no business speaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom