• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you think about Zero Suit Samus's new look and moves?

Do you love Zero Suit Samus's new look/moves?

• I love both her new look and her moves!

Votes: 228 73.8%
  • I love her new look but I dislike her new moves

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • I dislike her new look but love her new moves

Votes: 21 6.8%
  • I hate what they did to samus

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Why the high heels?

Votes: 26 8.4%
  • Sakurai trolling Ridley fans again

Votes: 27 8.7%

• Total voters

Morbi

Scavenger
As indicated by the vast majority; I am quite pleased with her redesign, both aesthetically and game-play wise. She looks better than I thought, something about her is different enough to not be an HD remake of Brawl's version, which is what I feared. Her Other M version isn't entirely different than the Brawl version in my opinion, so seeing something that wasn't more of the same was great. The Boots are awesome, it was something she needed to not feel so bland, I am happy.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
looks more like the other m figure than the actual other m in game model
which i like
the figure is THE BOMB
(and is currently sitting on my mantle because fangirlingggg)

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
looks more like the other m figure than the actual other m in game model
which i like
the figure is THE BOMB
(and is currently sitting on my mantle because fangirlingggg)
Lokii, you're one of the few female Smashers that actually plays ZSS, and for that, I'm happy. Also, can you make me a new ZSS picture?

I kept the last one you gave me for as long as I could, until I forgot it in my patrol cap's pocket flap, and it got washed.... >: \

I loved that picture, for all the names of the midwest smashers on it, and because you drew it for me. <3

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Lokii, you're one of the few female Smashers that actually plays ZSS, and for that, I'm happy. Also, can you make me a new ZSS picture?

I kept the last one you gave me for as long as I could, until I forgot it in my patrol cap's pocket flap, and it got washed.... >: \

I loved that picture, for all the names of the midwest smashers on it, and because you drew it for me. <3
; w ; /

Can do! sadly, itll be a while (i graduate this quarter and the workload is kind of goofy) but DANGIT I WILL GET YOU A NEW ZSS PIC ; x ; /

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
I think they nailed her look and her moves. Her high heels are both very feminine and very powerful, and she's definitely a much different character from regular Samus.

And of course, she's so sexy I can't wait to play as her just to pan the camera around her beuatiful body!

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
Based on the new pics, it sedms I was right about the heel. It simply serves as a stabilizer, and even collapses down or expand depending on how zamus is positioned. I like how it seems to work as a shock absorber or bracer when she's in her neutral B. See, aesthetically pleasing and perfecty functional. And... yeah, the shoes are still not sexy.

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
Based on the new pics, it sedms I was right about the heel. It simply serves as a stabilizer, and even collapses down or expand depending on how zamus is positioned. I like how it seems to work as a shock absorber or bracer when she's in her neutral B. See, aesthetically pleasing and perfecty functional. And... yeah, the shoes are still not sexy.
I still don't understand this (western?) obsession with everything has to be functional and logical in a fictional world. How logical is it that Mario grows by eating mushrooms? How practical is it for Mario to literally have a beer gut - how can he jump so high with it? How does Samus's arm cannon work? It's not realistic!

Yet, some people are incredibly disturbed by her heels. Is it because heels are such a feminine symbol IRL, and that some Samus fans (the warrior ones) can't stand Nintendo making Samus more feminine? I don't question your opinions, I just don't understand them.

Me, I think the heels look both feminine and cool. I mean, imagine if they gave heels to Link - that would look totallt wrong because he's a guy, but on Samus they look good IMO.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I still don't understand this (western?) obsession with everything has to be functional and logical in a fictional world. How logical is it that Mario grows by eating mushrooms? How practical is it for Mario to literally have a beer gut - how can he jump so high with it? How does Samus's arm cannon work? It's not realistic!

Yet, some people are incredibly disturbed by her heels. Is it because heels are such a feminine symbol IRL, and that some Samus fans (the warrior ones) can't stand Nintendo making Samus more feminine? I don't question your opinions, I just don't understand them.

Me, I think the heels look both feminine and cool. I mean, imagine if they gave heels to Link - that would look totallt wrong because he's a guy, but on Samus they look good IMO.
Easy answer: Because they associate the heels with Other M which is for them the equivalent of the devil and haven't been able to get over it despite the fact that it came out 4 years ago. Their obsession with function and logic in a fictional world is just a thin disguise for the real reason they take issues with this.

Last edited:

Maikou

Smash Ace

BEST Answer: they are whiny purists who wrongly believe that Samus is nothing but a killing machine that just blows up everything in it's path and can't stand the fact that Samus is a human female within the Power Suit with real emotions and feelings and that the Zero Suit isn't just their personal eye candy reward for being a freaking speedrunner.

I LOVE Samus. she's one of my favorite video game characters ever. but I like Samus for something most other people don't: the Character herself. her backstory is unique, her worst enemy is the stereotypical evil dragon with a twist that makes Samus the knight in literally shining armor, that same evil space dragon murdered her parents when she was around the age of 3 or so, she is friends with a black man who is an awesome character in himself, and has managed to take down nearly every enemy she's faced all by herself. the only exceptions being the Ridley clone on the Bottle Ship, where her emotional state unfortunately left her TEMPORARILY vulnerable, the first Boss of Other M which people must realize that Samus would have taken down on her own if Platoon 07 hadn't been there, and MB, who the federation basically murdered for their own selfish desires. Every other time Samus took on the enemy without flinching, and did it by herself, OR saved one of Adam's men. the most obvious place where Samus saves somebody is when she has to rescue Anothony from that one bug creature thing that wouldn't just die already as it was about to toss him into the lava (and the Galactic Federation sucks at Power Suits so his wouldn't have protected him)

Unlike other people I was excited to see everything happen in Other M. why? because I finally learned about the kind of character she is. the only reaons Samus seems so "weak" in Other M is because Super Metroid happened recently and she wasn't in the best emotional state. Ridley kinda broke Samus' outter calm streak, but still in the end Samus kicked his ***, especially after Ridley supposedly killed Anthony.

OVERALL POINT: People, Stop hating on Other M!

Sorry for going off-topic, but I needed to say all that.

Maikou

Smash Ace

BEST Answer: they are whiny purists who wrongly believe that Samus is nothing but a killing machine that just blows up everything in it's path and can't stand the fact that Samus is a human female within the Power Suit with real emotions and feelings and that the Zero Suit isn't just their personal eye candy reward for being a freaking speedrunner.

I LOVE Samus. she's one of my favorite video game characters ever. but I like Samus for something most other people don't: the Character herself. her backstory is unique, her worst enemy is the stereotypical evil dragon with a twist that makes Samus the knight in literally shining armor, that same evil space dragon murdered her parents when she was around the age of 3 or so, she is friends with a black man who is an awesome character in himself, and has managed to take down nearly every enemy she's faced all by herself. the only exceptions being the Ridley clone on the Bottle Ship, where her emotional state unfortunately left her TEMPORARILY vulnerable, the first Boss of Other M which people must realize that Samus would have taken down on her own if Platoon 07 hadn't been there, and MB, who the federation basically murdered for their own selfish desires. Every other time Samus took on the enemy without flinching, and did it by herself, OR saved one of Adam's men. the most obvious place where Samus saves somebody is when she has to rescue Anothony from that one bug creature thing that wouldn't just die already as it was about to toss him into the lava (and the Galactic Federation sucks at Power Suits so his wouldn't have protected him)

Unlike other people I was excited to see everything happen in Other M. why? because I finally learned about the kind of character she is. the only reaons Samus seems so "weak" in Other M is because Super Metroid happened recently and she wasn't in the best emotional state. Ridley kinda broke Samus' outter calm streak, but still in the end Samus kicked his ***, especially after Ridley supposedly killed Anthony.

Sorry for going off-topic, but I needed to say all that.

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
Thumbs up for you, Maikou! I completely agree with you. I never jumped onto the Other M hate train where people took seat only because "the feminist elite in the media hates it, so I must hate it too!"

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I don't understand what people find so offensive about attractive, kick-ass women.

The new Zero Suit is a great design. And I love her new move set.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
See, I like the idea that samus is a hardened, highly skilled bounty hunter while on the job who has blown up planets, space stations, and defeated horrible eldritch abominations. I also like the idea of her being able to kick back and relax and still be a human. I'll even buy that she suffers from PTSD and is trying to handle that. I like her being well rounded.

But I don't like what Other M did because, to me, they went to far. Extra Credits does a better job explaining it then me so just watch their Other M video.

Thankfully, Smash doesn't seem to be using any of that (so far). I hope Jennifer Hale returns to voice her.

Last edited:

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
See, I like the idea that samus is a hardened, highly skilled bounty hunter while on the job who has blown up planets, space stations, and defeated horrible eldritch abominations. I also like the idea of her being able to kick back and relax and still be a human. I'll even buy that she suffers from PTSD and is trying to handle that. I like her being well rounded.

But I don't like what Other M did because, to me, they went to far. Extra Credits does a better job explaining it then me so just watch their Other M video.

Thankfully, Smash doesn't seem to be using any of that (so far). I hope Jennifer Hale returns to voice her.
I never understood the hate towards Other M. I think its storytelling and writing is great!

But not as great as the changes they did to Zero Suit Samus in this game! :-)

Maikou

Smash Ace
Honestly, What's to hate? I LOVE the redesign. to me it looks more Rated E and that's a very good thing.........
............in my eyes at least, because for some stupid reason I'm the only one who prefers censored to graphics.........

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
For some reason, this irks me more than the statements defending her new design.
Why is that? It looks very weird when males wear heels, especially Link. Heels are associated with elegance and feminity, not with muscle and masculinity.

EpicDark

Smash Rookie
NNID
EpicDark
I love everything about the new Zamus.
I hope, however, those jet boots will have some sort of customizable feature with this whole "custom moveset" plan scheduled for SSB4. Maybe some Bayonetta heels to promote B2? If not that, then her paralyzer has different settings.

Oh yeah, and Jiggle effect. I need it. This game is going to be rated T, and there needs to be a good reason behind that.

Maikou

Smash Ace
(BEFORE I BEGIN: Read this whole thing before replying, I don't need somebody pointing out my errors before I get to them.)
No. just no. this game is going to be rated E10+ and there is no denying it.
Colorful graphics.
Cartoony Yoshi, Link, Kirby, and Pokemon.
No "Jiggle physics" in sight, and I'm pretty sure if they were there, we'd have seen it already. (Sakurai seems to already have the physics engine done, he just needs to program the other things now like balancing and more characters)
I will not accept anything that hints at a T-Rating. my Smash is a family friendly game by Nintendo, I don't need others younger than me missing out on the glory that is Smash because the rare responsible parents that keep their children away from things too violent for their young eyes to see.

You are assuming that that Smash 4 will be T-rated because the last two games were T-Rated.
You are wrong.
I have evidence, proof, arguments against your statement.

I present the first evidence!
Here it is!:
It's a fighting game, and it has explosions as well as cartoon/fantasy violence. (By the way, Shadow the Hedgehog is an E10+ rated game with far more violence than Melee, and it was obviously intended for an older audiance, while Melee was intended for younger players and just happened to end up the most competitive Smash to date)

I feel you can see where this is going, if you have the knowledge.

the second and final evidence!
Here:
This is the main reason Melee was T rated: the E10+ rating didn't exist at the time. I've been playing Super Smash Brothers Melee since I was FOUR, and I've NEVER seen ANYTHING in it that would make it T rated if the E10+ rating existed back then. You cannot give argument that it is because of the females, because quite frankly they are covered far more then adequately.

Plus we can't forget the ORIGINAL Smash for the 64, which was E-Rated. besides, in Melee they censored the word "hell" in the DK Rap on the DK Waterfall stage. (the name of which I forget at the moment) I'm pretty Sakurai wanted Melee to get the E-Rating. why would a T-game censor a cussword? simple: it wouldn't, because that would be stupid.

Those are my arguments, and if you wish to turn this into a discussion, PM me and we shall chat about it.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
"CHANGE YOUR OPINION, BECAUSE I DON'T AGREE WITH IT" Yeah, thanks, I'll keep hating Other M, if you don't mind, because it had hundreds of awful writing and design flaws.

And people hate the heels because:

1.) Yes, they are associated with Other M, which took Samus's character through several controversial and awkward twists and turns.

2.) MOREOVER, they are completely impractical. Put on high-heels, then go fist fight a dude. Tell me how that goes, then tell me why a woman who needs to run away from Pirates that can kill her in a few shots should wear heels in her weakest form.

There's pointless designs, then there's blatantly impractical designs.

Last edited:

Maikou

Smash Ace
READ MY WHOLE POST.
You can whine about Other M somewhere else, just don't bring it here!

I never said to change your opinion, just stop hating on the game openly on HERE SPECIFICALLY! what do you think YouTube's any good for these days? Go there if you want to rage on Other M, just keep it off Smash, would you?

and I DO mind, because GUESS WHAT? Your opinion doesn't effect mine. at all. now, please kindly leave this thread so people can actually discuss ZSS' new look and moves without mention of the overhated game that is Other M.

It's not a bad game. and if you cannot bother to look at positives, then don't bother with your opinion in the open unless you find someone who 100% agrees with you, and just chat privately with them. I'd rather not get any infraction points for a flame war on this thread of all things.

For the record, there's a difference between hating on, and just hating. hating on something is when you express your hate openly, and hating something itself is when you personally feel a strong negative emotion toward the object itself.

I'm simply asking you, and other people who hate Other M, to not bring it up here. if you hate it, and want to discuss how bad you think it is, just chat with someone who agrees.

EDIT: Look at some of the new pictures, the high-heels are only for certain animations: the Jet Boots change shape with each move Samus makes, making them much more combat suited than you'd think. and for the love of life, take your hate to a site made for Other M haters!

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Heels (at least these particular heels) are *NOT* impractical. They seem to have a whole structure to reduce impacts.

Did everybody forget that Peach fights in a dress and heels? Where's the practicality in that?

Last edited:

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah, and Jiggle effect. I need it. This game is going to be rated T, and there needs to be a good reason behind that.
I'm with you. Although I don't think I've seen a single Nintendo published game with jiggle physics (boobs or butts) - remember that we're talking about the company which censored out Tharja's butt in Fire Emblem, a T rated game. Although that censorship was only for the US, not Japan nor Europe.

Maikou: Well, we'll see. And besides, the world isn't just the US. In Europe, it's enough with violence against human-looking characters for a 12+ rating (equivalent of the T rating). This game has human looking character shooting bullets on each other:

And the creator of Gunman Clive said that it's enough with this, doesn't matter if it's cartoony or not. As long as there's this kind of violence towards human characters, it's automatically 12+, even if it's really tame like in this game.

Heels (at least these particular heels) are *NOT* impractical. They seem to have a whole structure to reduce impacts.
And even if they were impractical, how does it matter in a fictional world where the character herself can turn into a ball?

Did I miss when Video Games stopped loving being impractical? Or do JRPG protagonists not swing swords bigger than surfboards now?
Did everybody forget that Peach fights in a dress and heels? Where's the practicality in that?
This. And I'm not merely saying this to suck up to the moderators, I say this because I truly agree.

People always complain about Samus ever since Other M - and all the time I fail to understand why. If anything, this whole discussion is a clear proof how sensitive the female body still is as a discussion subject. When Samus has big boobs, it's "wrong" according to some people. So what do these people say to real women with big boobs? "Hey, woman over there! You're wrong, because you have big boobs! Hide them! They should not exist!"

And the same goes for her big butt. Though I can understand that people say that Samus's body proportions are not realistic, but come on, this is FICTION! Why does everything has to be realistic all the time? It seems to me this obsession with realism started when graphics got more realistic.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I think in the world of Smash things can be impractical and be perfectly fine.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
I honestly can't believe we're still on practicality versus impracticality.

No matter how anyone in the thread sees it, guess what: She's still gonna be wearing the ****ing heels. If you don't like it, go main a much more im/practical character. Rosalina, Peach, and Zelda boards are gonna need some love, soon, since ZSS's buffed "milkshake" is bringin' all the boys to the yard.

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
I honestly can't believe we're still on practicality versus impracticality.

No matter how anyone in the thread sees it, guess what: She's still gonna be wearing the ****ing heels. If you don't like it, go main a much more im/practical character. Rosalina, Peach, and Zelda boards are gonna need some love, soon, since ZSS's buffed "milkshake" is bringin' all the boys to the yard.
It's not just about her milkshakes (which needs to be shaken a lot more BTW, because I don't think they're ready for serving yet), it's also about her hometown.

Her hometown got a lot more populated this time around, even though it's obviously quantity over quality.

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
I barely see those things as heels, though. They look more like an extentions of his robosuit (or whatever it is) than actual heels. And you can barely tell if that's a man or a robot.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
I barely see those things as heels, though. They look more like an extentions of his robosuit (or whatever it is) than actual heels. And you can barely tell if that's a man or a robot.
Kinda how you could barely tell if Samus was a male or a female?

And extension or not, they don't look any different from heels. They're something that helps improve his fighting technique with his sword, giving him great versatility. ZSS's boots can be seen in the same light. They add to her fighting ability, as we'll soon find out, due to changes in her moveset.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
In order for people to stop complaining about Samus' heels, they should give them to every single character in the game. That way, everyone is equally scandalized, and that's what we strive for, amirite? Every character would be equally ruined.

BloderModer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0731-4748-9425
Peach and Rosalina has always worn high heels, tiaras, dresses.
The Mario-universe is a bit more unrealistic than Metroid.
High heels on Samus is not in-character.

Also, there was no real need to change her into wearing high heels.

Also: http://kotaku.com/samus-new-high-heels-are-well-1561573770
Adventure Time artist gave other smash-characters heels.

Last edited:

Hitzel

Smash Ace
Okay guys look, some people have always seen Samus as an important videogame female who isn't portrayed in a sexual way. The redesign is kinda opposed to that, so some people don't like it. No need to rationalize much further.

As for showing Samus' femininity, feminine and sexual are not synonymous. There are more ways to portray a character as a believable female than showcasing her body.

Is this really a big deal? No. Is it perfectly understandable that some people feel the need to nitpick it? Yeah. Can we expect people to make heel jokes for a long time? Of course!

Maikou

Smash Ace
"Samus is out of character" "HIgh Heels ruin Samus" "Other M ****ed up on Samus"
...................................I've officially reached my snapping point with you all. And I mean ALL of you when I say this, READ THIS WHOLE THING THROUGH!

Like Link, Samus was originally never given a personal character, but because she's a bounty hunter and there's always a part where she escapes a massive explosion, everybody has ASSUMED She's emotionless and just blows up everything in sight until her "mission" is finished. And yet, when we finally got Metroid: Zero Mission to give us SOME detail about her past, everyone hated it. why? Because somehow a character with no character at all was out of character by having a backstory.

Metroid Fusion came after Super Metroid, and we finally got a more in-depth look at Samus, and she even finally spoke to someone in-game! But everyone hated it. because Samus displayed emotion and had a ****ing backstory.

Now we have Other M, and everyone hates it. why? Because Samus has a ****ing backstory explained in full and she's shown in a weaker state of mind than she usually is.

Now here's the kicker: Everyone loved Super Metroid..............and called it one of the greatest games of all time...............yet, Samus shows emotion in that game too. she cares about the Baby Metroid, and when it dies she blasts Mother Brain into oblivion. and then Other M happens while she's recovering from the emotional impact of watching the last of another kind perish above her. all of you, read this next thing I link you, because it will give in-depthness of the Ridley scene. read it. AND FOR THE RECORD: I am NOT the one who wrote this. I have no idea who the author actually is, but they definitely aren't me. now here it is:
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9806122/1/Amber-and-Dragon

Last edited:
Top Bottom