• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your opinions about the leaked characters? (SPOILERS INCOMING)

Is the roster great?

• YES!

Votes: 138 47.3%
  • NO!

Votes: 63 21.6%
  • Neutral.

Votes: 91 31.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
It grew on me already, even the clones.
Sure, I wanted the popular characters to be in, but to be honest, deep inside I was really doubtful there were gonna happen (Robin surprised me though). In the end, supporting them in their threads was fun.
And there is still more speculation left. Like their movesets, another changes, anything extra, etc. I might talk each character in detail later in this thread.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Im diggin it because of 2 reasons

1 i can finally get my revenge on the duck hunt dog for the mocking.

2 its not the full roster and mewtwo and ridley are likely 2 of the missing of the 5

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
Bowser Jr/koopalings- Amazing. Love it. Only thing I'd be disappointed about if this was an elaborate fake.
Dr. Mario - would have been fine with him being a costume.
Shulk - Seems boring. Not excited.
Dark Pit- I guess he's okay... I'd rather have medusa... but he'll probably be a semi clone with a recolored model...so I understand.
5. Duck Hunt Dog - Meh. Bottom of the barrel retro pick to me. A duck hunt stage I think would have represented this game well.

I'm not impressed with the loss of squirtle, ivysaur, lucas, wolf, and ice climbers. I guess snake is a loss to someone too... so unless this is fake/more characters needed to be unlocked/dlc is coming. I'm not particularly happy.

Lugubrious

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lugubrious
Dark Pit and Doctor Mario and Falcondorf displease me, but Duck Hunt Dog sounds cool and Shulk and Bowser Jr. look like fun. I'll definitely be more receptive if either the DLC leak (Lucas, Wolf, Chorus Kids, Ice Climbers as DLC) or the remaining roster leak (Dixie, Mewtwo, Chorus Kids) are also true.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I know we're not all going to agree, but here're my opinions:

Bowser Jr.
4/5 - Nice concept, and looks interesting too. Mario series is a bit oversaturated, but it's Mario, so that's ok.​
Dr. Mario
0/5 - He could have easily been an alt costume, and the vitamins being a custom special. Lucina at least has different hitboxes than Marth, what is the difference here?​
Shulk
3/5 - Don't know the series, but looks ok I guess.​
Dark Pit
0/5 - If I could go negative, I would. Kid Icarus is way too overrepresented compared to Zelda (3 Final smashes between 5 characters?), Metroid (only 2 characters, who are the same person?), DK (No new stages in either version yet?), etc. What about Dark Link? Dark Samus? They've been around longer, and are also the same concept. DP started as a black recolor from Brawl, he is not important enough to Nintendo yet to beat out ANY of the unincluded characters.​
Duck Hunt Dog
4/5 - Looks fun to play. They just better bring the laughing taunt in.​
Wario
3/5 - Didn't have doubts, but nice to see him return.​
Mr. Game and Watch
4/5 - No doubts here either, but he was loads of fun since Melee.​
Falco
2/5 - He's still always played too similarly to Fox. Would have preferred Wolf since he at least felt different.​
Ness
4/5 - Never been good with him, but he's always ben nice to have around.​
Ganondorf
5/5 - Been hoping for this since the announcement of SSB4. I was wishing he'd get a different moveset or at least his glorious HW mane, but at least the King of Evil is back to play.​
R.O.B.
1/5 - Never liked him all through Brawl, so I would have brought loads of characters back before him. He's not really a character from a video game so much as a toy they made to save the NES in the 80s, which Brawl's SSE wrote a backstory for causing them to cut Mewtwo.​
Jigglypuff
3/5 - She's been a mainstay since SSB64, but I hope she's not going to stand in anyone else's way.
And the other characters I'm missing, which would make me like the roster if at least some were included, even as DLC:

1. Mewtwo: The only unjustified cut from Melee caused major fan uproar. Did they not listen to a large percentage of the fanbase?
2. Ridley: Another highly requested villain, who has been the subject of major fan teasing. It's just cruel not to include him.
3. K.Rool: Another villain from a severely underrepresented franchise, who has also been highly requested.
4. Wolf: He played quite differently to Fox/Falco in Brawl, and I'd really like to see him back. And that great attitude.
5. Ice Climbers: Yeah, I never played them, but they've been around a while and really grew on me.
6. Squirtle and Ivysaur: A nice dark horse from Brawl. Really liked their movesets, and I really want them for DLC.

I'd also LOVE to see some Assist Trophies get a promotion via DLC like Midna or Ghirahim.

Finally, I'd like if they spent more time with the already-revealed characters, so Link/Toon Link could have different specials; Zelda/Shiek with different final smashes; Ganondorf with a different moveset (give him the swords and then give the old moves to Black Shadow)

JabbatheHutt

The Kingpin of the Outer Rim
This is all who matters, and as it stands I am satisfied. everything else is gravy:

the big guy

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
1. Bowser Jr. - Seems like fun moveset. Better than expected
2. Dr. Mario - Don't know much about him this time around, but if he's the same as Melee, I would rather have other characters.
3. Shulk - Yayyyy
4. Dark Pit - I will not use this character, it's a huge meh. Sakurai seems to be much more biased than in Brawl.
5. Duck Hunt Dog - Seems trolly. I'm probably going to get annoyed by it. I could see it as the Funky Kong of SSB
6. Wario - Nothing out of the ordinary
7. Mr. Game and Watch- makes sense
8. Falco - duh
9. Ness - duhhh
10. Ganondorf - slightly disappointed in no swords, but there are still custom moves to be hopeful for
11. R.O.B. - I'm surprised, I thought ROB would be gone
12. Jigglypuff - also not surprised, but I would have been fine without her.

Last edited:

UnicornDemon

Smash Journeyman
1. Bowser Jr.
5/5, one of my most wanted characters and I really like what they've done with him

2. Dr. Mario
0/5- stupid, should have been an alt. costume with pills as a custom special

3. Shulk
0/5, Unlike everyone else on Smashboards, I didn't want him.

4. Dark Pit
0/5, hate clones- this could have been an easy alt. costume

5. Duck Hunt Dog
3/5, I don't know how to rate this until I see it. I love dogs, but I'm anti-hunting.

6. Wario
5/5

7. Mr. Game and Watch
5/5

8. Falco
1/5, too similar to Fox, I would have preferred Wolf

9. Ness
1/5, Lucas had the more interesting moveset out of the two and I wish he had gotten in instead.

10. Ganondorf
0/5, same crap moveset

11. R.O.B.
5/5, this was one of the more original and inventive characters added in Brawl, and I'm very happy to see him back. I'm excited to see what they did with his custom specials.

12. Jigglypuff
3/5, she's a likable character, but there are many more Pokemon with interesting potential that could have been given a chance, such as Gardevoir or Sylveon. Also, she was downright awful in Brawl. I may change my mind if she's actually usable in Smash 4.

Last edited:

AnoA

Smash Cadet
I love this roster.

But please, someone explain me what the heck is Dr. Mario doing here!?

Besides the lack of characters I wanted (which I considered unimportant right now) Dr. Mario coming here as another character lacks complete sense. I'm getting really frustrated from just looking at him... Again this is my personal opinion. Still feeling bad for all of Sakurai's effort to keep all this a secret though. Also, I hate Link's face. I hope there are more characters to come, either as unlockable, or DLC. I wouldn't mind paying some extra for all the missing chars, plus Krystal and Medusa.

Beatness

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Beatness
3DS FC
5412-9896-3151
I don't have a full opinion until the full roster is confirmed. I would be very angry if Lucas, Wolf, and Ice Climbers were scrapped despite the inclusion of Dr. Mario and Dark Pit. Until then I'm content.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Bowser Jr.
4/5 he seems pretty chill, not as excited as I thought I would be but I might play as him if I end up liking how he plays
Dr. Mario
2/5 Not particularly needed but sort of harm
Shulk
3.5/5 I'm going to withhold judgement until I see more of him. Haven't played his game but I will pick up the upcoming Wii U one.
Dark Pit
1/5 wut
Duck Hunt Dog
4/5 - I want to see how the ducks will play into his moveset.
Wario
4/5 will be my default pick for obvious choices that deserve to stay in.
Mr. Game and Watch
5/5 - **** yeah!
Falco
3/5 Rather have Wolf but I don't mind.
Ness
4/5 - After playing Earthbound I certainly appreciate him more. Sort of hope he'll get buffed and such. (I suck at using PK Thunder though ;-;)
Ganondorf
3/5 his gameplay vid was underwhelming. Oh well, as long as his side B is still fun to use I'll probably still use him occasionally
R.O.B.
4/5 same as Wario, though not really as obvious or needed.
Jigglypuff
4.5/5 **** yeah puff. Hope she gets re-buffed :3

KingofGerudos

Smash Rookie
Still not sold on if this leak is fake or not, but assuming this is the final roster here are my thoughts on the new reveals and the roster as a whole

1- Did not want him, and still do not, if only because the entire concept of Bowser Jr as a character(not this game, in the Mario universe as a whole) is lazy. They could not even give him a freaking unique name. At least he has a unique playstyle and moveset, and a lot of people wanted him, so I can live with him.

2- No. NO. The inclusion of him vexes me more than it did in Melee. There are two types of characters I never wanted to see. Characters so obscure or unimportant enough to have their own name (Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Mii Fighters) or chacters that are the SAME PERSON as another character, which is exactly what Dr. Mario is. A different skin is ALL he should have gotten.

3- Honestly I do not know much about him, but he looks cool, as a potential unique moveset, and people wanted him in, so I am all for it

4- No. NO. NOOOOO. See # 3. Pittoo Should be an alternate costume only. He is literally a clone. He was pretty much in Brawl already in an alt skin anyway.

5- Not even important enough in the series to have a name, so I did not want him. Same as Villager and WFT. But, I can stomach all three as they will all have their own movesets and are not clones.

6- Never cared for him, but do not dislike him. Unique, and should be in.

7- See #6.

8- I like Falco in Star Fox, but never in the SSB universe, only because he is a clone and a very similar one at that. Wolf at least played far differently for Fox. But I am fine with his inclusion.

9- See #6.

10- Expected him to be in, and very happy that it is the case. VERY disappointed that he is still a clone of a character from a very small series. Deserves and has the potential for a very good move set. Still like him however, and will be one of my mains. Will be much happier if he plays more like he did in Melee than in Brawl.

11- I liked ROB. Unique character and move set. Glad to see him in.

12- Conflicted here. A long running veteran, and unique on top of that. However, Jigs popularity peaked a decade ago, and honestly would prefer to see cut another pokemon that is either a) more popular or b) from an unrepresented generation of pokemon. Maybe Blaziken for instance, from unrepresented gen 3, made some what relevant recently with the x/y promotion and megastone. Good potential moveset being a fighting/fire type.

Overall very disappointed if the leak is true, and will hold out hope there are still more that are not announced.

Very few characters are liked announced, and of those few I mostly had issues with. Robin and Palutena are only ones Im totally satisfied with. Even as a FE lover I was not happy about Lucina. Looks AND plays more liked a clone than Roy did. Speaking of which....too many clones are in the game, and while I can deal with clones if they are unique characters and play fairly different (Cpt. Falcon/Ganondorf) I do not like if if they are the same person in different skins (Dr. Mario/Mario, Link, Toon Link) or play very very similar (Marth/Lucina, Fox/Falco).

Too many Franchises would be over represented (Mario- 8 characters from a series based on gameplay and not story is too much, even if it is the flagship) while too few would be under repped...Star Fox NEEDED its villian or Krystal, and Metroid deserves another rep, such as Sylux (or another hunter) or Ridley.

Will miss the Ice Climbers (obscure yea, but unique and at least had names unlike the WFT) but if they are cut because of programing issues like it was hinted at I can except that much more than I could Wolf getting cut, or Mewtwo in Brawl.

At least Ike is back, and all my previous mains are back (expect Wolf). I know I sound like im only complaining, but I will still enjoy the game I am sure. But I will always think it could have been. I never expected all or even half my wish list to get in, but so few did, on top of cuts I didnt like, and additions I was disappointed in leaves a sour taste my mouth

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Am I the only one who's okay with Dark Pit?
Also people probably don't realize that Dr. Mario brings back that stupid Tornado move that everyone loves for some reason.

Maybe it's just me who is pretty open to clones. Ah well.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
I want to hear your opinions on this topic here, now that we have more proof that it's real. I'm curious about your opinions on the characters that were leaked.

Here are the characters:
1. Bowser Jr.
2. Dr. Mario
3. Shulk
4. Dark Pit
5. Duck Hunt Dog
6. Wario
7. Mr. Game and Watch
8. Falco
9. Ness
10. Ganondorf
11. R.O.B.
12. Jigglypuff
1. Good Solaire in Heaven praise his name! The sun of Bowser has risen!!!!

2. Well Doctor Mario is my Moctor so.... OH yeaH bay B! Moc should have been a costume, but idk wtf Sakurai was thinking adding in girl Marth as a seperate character either....

3. Shulk is cool. I knew he'd be in no doubt in my mind since even before the direct

4. Dark Pit can go either way. Could turn out really cool, or could be a total bust like Lucina

5. I never really supported DHD, but I never hated him. I do like that he was included because I know that Sakurai has made him a very unique character.

6. yup

7. good

8. Thank you. There is no reason to cut any of the Star Fox characters. If anything I think Krystal should be added.

9. good, very good

10. Pls I want new moveset or Ganon!

11. yup

12. I couldn't care less give me Mewtwo

Last edited:

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Guess I'll drop some thoughts here too. I don't visit this subforum enough nowadays.
1. Looks pretty cool. I actually wanted him to be a clone (seeing as how not only do I like clones, but I more often than not prefer a character's clone to the original) but his current form is fine. Looks more fun than a paint-brush swinger at least. If he can hover a la Peach I definitely want to give him a shot.

2. It's not so much Dr. Mario being a clone that bothers me, but rather him being a clone that was cut and then added back in anyway. Come on, if we're gonna have another clone Mario do what they did with Marth and just give us a new clone. Roy didn't come back, why should Doc? How about Shadow Mario or Metal Mario instead? Bleh. Not happy about this one bit.

3. I already posted about this on my profile thingy, but like Chuggaa said, whilst I feel like Bowser Jr is porbably real Shulk looks fake to me. So yeah, nothing to say here. I just don't think he's in at all, sorry.

4. If Dark Pit has snappy one liners like in KI:U, I'm sure I'll warm to him. I like neutral-but-mostly-villainous characters with good helpings of cheese in my video games. Wolf is my favourite character in the series so far, only just being above Robin so yeah.

5. Wtf. Ooooo-kaaaaaaaay.

6. What Nintendo crossover game would be complete without Wario? I don't care too much about him personally, but he definitely deserves his place in Smash 4 IMO. So yeah, cool.

7. Staple character. Nice to see he's returning, assuming the leak is real.

8. No. Just no. Wolf for life. Join the wolfpack or get out. I've never liked Falco at all. He's boring both as a character and as a fighter and his personality is obnoxious in a way that isn't charming or funny.

9. See #7

10. [Generic Falcondorf comment]

11. Don't care. ROB is supposedly in yet Wolf isn't? Bull****.

12. Jigglypuff is a lot like Falco to me. I hold no attachment to the character and I never enjoyed playing as her. Whilst I always assumed she'd be back, I think it's finally time for Sakurai to stop keeping her in for the sheer sake of tradition.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Bowser Jr.: I hated the idea of having him in a smash game but I've started to grow fond of him and think that he looks interesting (judging from the footage shown in the leak). 4/5

Dr. Mario: I absolutely loved playing as Dr. Mario in Melee but think that it would be better as a Mario reskin. 2/5

Dark Pit: Waste of a character. Would have been much better if it was a reskin for Pit (similar to the costume in brawl). 1/5

Duck Hunt Dog: Nice to see Nintendo bringing back a character from the NES era, although I'm still curious on how his moveset would work. 3/5

Shulk: Never played Xenoblade, although I can already say I'm excited for Shulk (out of all of these characters, he was the only one I expected to make it). 5/5

I'm also glad those veterans made it back (I'm surprised R.O.B. made it through), although I'm still hoping Lucas and the Ice Climbers make it back.

Last edited:

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
Here's how I'm feeling about the roster:

1) Bowser Jr:
I can't say I have supported any Mario characters for Smash 4, but outside of Smash speculation, one of my favorite Mario characters is Jr, so I easily warmed up to his inclusion. Also, Clown Car. That's cool.

2) Dr. Mario:
I'm pretty iffy on Doc, but all in all, I'm fine with him. I don't inherently hate clones. It really comes down to the character. And, although I saw him more as costume material, his return from hiatus is a first for the series. Ultimately, I welcome him with open arms.

3) Shulk:
I haven't invested very much time into Xenoblade, but knew he was a popular choice among Smash fans. For that reason, I always tried to leave a spot for him on my own rosters. It's neat to finally see him make it to the big time, whether or not I'm familiar with his abilities.

4) Dark Pit:
Easily the only one in this group that doesn't excite me in the slightest. It's weird that representation of a game I love leaves bitterness in my mouth purely because of the evident bias Sakurai has displayed. However, assuming there is more to come, what characters surface later will determine just how easily I can forgive Pittoo.

5) Duck Hunt Dog:
An odd choice, of course, but Smash has been riddled with them since the very beginning. The ambiguity of how a laughing fetch dog from the 80's would work as a fleshed-out Smash fighter has piqued my interest.

6) Wario:
I never doubted Wario would be back...that's really all I have to say about him.

7) Mr. Game & Watch:
Love me some G&W. Glad to see he's back.

8) Falco:
I've always been pretty neutral on Falco. I understand why he made it in over Wolf, but what I don't understand is why Wolf had to be cut, in the first place. More on that, later.

9) Ness:
Before I discovered my potential with Wolf and Olimar, I took pride in my abilities with Ness. As my original main, great to see him again!

10) Ganondorf:
I never doubted him, but I find it extremely crappy to know that he still hasn't been done justice.

11) ROB:
I love that little robot, and am happy to see he's back.

12) Jigglypuff:
Uh, yeah, Jigglypuff is kinda-sorta my favorite non-legendary Pokemon, so HECK YEAH I'm excited to see she's back! Also, her artwork rendering gives me the impression that she has finally grown out of her blank-stare look from the Gen I games, and has adapted her more expressive and - arguably - more adorable look from FR/LG, onward. The only thing that could hype me up more is if they replaced a move or two with Dazzling Gleam or Disarming Voice.

Now, what really sets this roster back, for me, is the fact that my main has been cut. Nothing makes you feel quite as unexcited and competitively vulnerable as knowing that everyone around you has had the security of knowing that their characters are back and better than ever, while you have to scramble around the roster and find someone who fits your style...again. RIP, Wolf. May you return as DLC, or something.

Lastly, the promise that the full roster hasn't even been revealed yet has given me hope, yet again. If Mewtwo makes it back, then everything negative I said (except what I said about Wolf) doesn't even matter anymore. At that point, anything else is icing on the cake.

Overall, my hopes for this game live on. It may be blind optimism, but I'll give Sakurai the benefit of the doubt, assume whatever is left in store is awesome, and say that I'm excited about this roster.

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
1. Bowser Jr.
He's pretty good I'd say. I wanted Bowser Jr. but he should use his paintbrush IMO. He has so much stuff he could've done with it instead of just putting him into a clown car. Still, the moveset looks amazing for what it is.
2. Dr. Mario
He was a full Mario clone in Melee. As long as he didn't get any revamps, he feels lazy and doesn't even have an unique personality as a reason why you would play them, unlike Lucina.
3. Shulk
The sole fact that Shulk is in gives Xenoblade a lot of representation. However, while his moveset looks good to play with and fun, it doesn't represent the gameplay of the Xenoblade series and feels, at least if you look at the footage, sometimes a bit like a Marth clone. My theory to this fact is that the animations aren't finished on the ESRB footage, so they just used Marth's.
4. Dark Pit
We don't know much about him. Now, if he uses unique weapons like the Dark Pit Staff, he might become an awesome character. I also like Dark Pit's design.
5. Duck Hunt Dog
We don't know much about him.
Just know that I always thought he was kinda... unsettling.
6. Wario
We don't know anything about his changes gameplay-wise. Meh, he keeps his Wario Ware stuff. It was predictable he's in.
7. Mr. Game and Watch
We don't know anything about him yet. I almost thought he's cut, but it's nice to see him again.
8. Falco
We don't know anything about him yet. It was pretty obvious Falco would return.
9. Ness
We don't know anything about him yet. Pretty obviously returning.
10. Ganondorf
He's Falcondorf again. What. Just nope. Well, at least he's faster, I guess?
11. R.O.B.
We don't know anything about him yet. Not a fan of his return at all though.
12. Jigglypuff
We don't know anything about her yet. Pretty obviously returning.

NOTE: I expect more characters because of an interesting theory on this page.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
1. Bowser Jr. - Proably my least wanted mario character but he looks very cool in the clown car with Koopaling alts to book
2. Dr. Mario - Assuming Mewtwo isn't back as I expect, then this is hilarious
3. Shulk - Looks good, can't wait to see the stage and hear the music
4. Dark Pit - My least favourite, pallete swaps should be pallet swaps, I would rather see a different costume get the upgrade
5. Duck Hunt Dog - will just have to wait and see
6. Wario - good, his trophy render makes him look a little better
7. Mr. Game and Watch - I'm really happy they aren't using his Pac-Man trailer design, that just looked off.
8. Falco - I would rather keep Wolf but I probably prefer the Falco quotes
9. Ness - Original 12 should NEVER be cut.
10. Ganondorf - A little sad his still a clone but glad he still uses dark magic over a sword (especially that unfitting TP sword)
11. R.O.B. - I never understood why people ever thought he had a chance of getting cut, Ice Climbers are only gone due to limitations. I'm glad he is back as R.O.B. has a special place in my heart
12. Jigglypuff - see Ness, I find Jigglypuff to be underrated

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
1. Bowser Jr. : He wasn't a character I especially wanted in the game, but the clown car makes it for me. Looks super fun, I'm really looking forward to him. Severely perplexed by all the people who would prefer him whacking people with a paintbrush.
2. Dr. Mario: Surprising. I definitely wanted him as a costume. I wonder what will be different this time. Surely they can at least give him a new Final Smash.
3. Shulk: I haven't played Xenowhatever but the trivial amount of research I've done leads me to believe his personality and fighting style are as boring as 90% of JRPG protagonists'. But I came to terms with this ages ago. Enjoy boring sword guy #4 cool kids, I'll be playing Duck Hunt Dog.
4. Shadow the Angelhog: Seemed very likely after Lucina. Will be useful for identifying terrible human beings should they choose to main him.
5. Duck Hunt Dog: I heartily approve.
6. Wario: I'm feasting on the tears of kids who can't get over the Wario Ware costume being his default, or him still having the Waft. But what happened to his pupil? Only time will tell.
7. Mr. Game and Watch: I was actually somewhat concerned for his chances after the non-confirmation in the Pac-Man trailer. Glad he's back.
8. Falco: Who cares. Wolf was more fun.
9. Ness: My perennial favorite, and his model looks great. Too bad he'll probably be trash again. I went and got used to Project M Ness.
10. Ganondorf: Disappointed but not surprised he has his Brawl moveset. Inertia is a powerful force.
11. R.O.B.: I loved that he was in Brawl but couldn't mesh with his playstyle. I doubt this will change.
12. Jigglypuff: Inertia is a powerful force.

Last edited:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Guess I can elaborate a little more:
Jr.: 5/5
All of my yes! Unlike most people, I actually quite like Bowser Jr., and he looks extremely fun to play as in this game. I also love how he's been implemented, and if the Koopalings really are his alt costumes, that's just icing on the cake.

Dr. Mario: 0/5
I normally love clones. However, a clone that is literally a costume of another character is too much for me.

Shulk: 5/5
I just barely bought Xenoblade. If you've played it, you already know I don't have to say anything more then that.

Dark Pit: 4/5
Like I said, I love clones. Just a bit miffed it isn't Hades.

Duck Hunt Dog: 3/5
Meh. Might warm up to him when I see gameplay.

Wario: 2/5
Never cared for him in Brawl, still don't care about him now.

G&W: 4/5
Did anybody have any doubts? Really?

Falco: 1/5
Wolf is infinitely better

Ness: 3/5
I like Lucas more

Ganondorf: 2/5
Whyyyyyy is he still a clone. AND WHY DOES HE STILL PULL OUT HIS SWORD AS A TAUNT!

ROB: 5/5
ROB is love. ROB is life.

Jigglypuff: 0/5
I despise this Pokemon, and will happily set 3 CPU Jigglypuff's to level one, pick Bowser, and utterly destroy them.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
This is a giant middle finger to the DK franchise. All I wanted was one new DK character. Just one. Could've been Dixie, could've been K. Rool.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
1. I like and support Bowser Jr. so seeing him in completes my Mario desires. Clown car is a cool touch, although I kinda liked him being a standard bipedal fighter better. Clown car definitely adds novelty, I'll say that.
2. Kinda pointless. Where's Mewtwo?
3. Cool deal. Pretty expected, but still nice to see him in. New franchise representation is always good.
4. What a putrid, biased, disgusting, disgraceful, despicable waste of resources and roster space. His presence actually offends me. Over Dark Samus? Over WOLF?! F*** this character. I find my only solace in making him my Lv1 punching bag in place of Sonic.
5. What a bizarre choice. How exactly does one make a moveset out of this guy? Like literally all he does is laugh at you in the games. What is he supposed to fight like?
6. Expected.
7. Expected and welcome.
8. Over Wolf? Fail. With Wolf? Excellent. I'm going to despise Falco for all eternity if he snubbed out Wolf, especially with Doc and Dark Douch-I mean, Pit, in.
9. Welcome back, old friend.
10. Show me ya triforce! New specials or utter disappointment shall befall me.
11. Welcome back, retro dude.
12. Honestly don't care about the Puff anymore. Especially with no sign of Mewtwo. WHY Jiggs over Mewtwo?

I'm disappointed at some of these choices. I'm not gonna whine or complain, or refuse to buy the game. But I'm disappointed. Here's hoping the last five characters knock me flat on my back. Mewtwo, Wolf, Climbers, Dixie and Ridley doesn't seem like too much to hope for.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Duck Hunt is a good character, how it's implemented may not agree with me depending on how it plays. More then deserving, everyone's parents probably played this game. It came bundled with mario ... probably the best selling game for NES. The zapper was all the rage back in the day.

Dr. Mario not heavily wanted and most people could care less but I like him, and glad to see him back. Dr. Mario is one of those few games that most of our parents probably played as well. He's like an original game boy rep in my mind as it was one of the few Game Boy games I owned for the original game boy ... that and game and watch with red version and a mario land game. He's nostalgic to me, and I enjoy seeing him. Come on Dr. Mario is like Nintendo's tetris. He could always be different this time around...

Bowser Jr. don't really like the character, dislike the clown car thing. Makes me dislike Bowser Jr. even more so. Seems like a little mario rep over kill. But he had a fan base, so i'm glad their happy. I don't think he does injustice to the roster like other characters do. He feels like the end result of "okay what other mario characters can we add?"

Dark Pit is a total example of bias, KI has two game and yet 3 reps. Sorry F-Zero, sorry Metroid, sorry pikmin, sorry animal crossing, sorry donkey kong, wario, etc. It's like making Dark Link his own character... just makes more sense as a skin. Palutena was already uninteresting then a Pit clone... boring.

Shulk he's cool glad to see him, awesome rep for monolith, since joining nintendo.

Ganondorf appears to be unchanged, so far. Very disappointing huge missed opportunity. As was Toon Link not changing, and many of the other characters final smashes.

Falco, Ness, G&W are awesome, great they came back. I've had them in my sig for a while.

Wario, good.

Jigglypuff, yeah okay fine shes an OG.

ROB should have been considered for one of the first characters to cut. If he makes it over Ice Climbers, wow.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I want to hear your opinions on this topic here, now that we have more proof that it's real. I'm curious about your opinions on the characters that were leaked.

Here are the characters:

1. Bowser Jr.
2. Dr. Mario
3. Shulk
4. Dark Pit
5. Duck Hunt Dog
6. Wario
7. Mr. Game and Watch
8. Falco
9. Ness
10. Ganondorf
11. R.O.B.
12. Jigglypuff

1. Bowser Jr.: I find myself in the peculiar position of being both happy and fuming. On the one hand, he's no where near as lame as I was expecting(Paintbrush + mini clone of Bowser) and if the Koopaling alts are true I can always play as my favourite Koopaling rather than my least favourite Mario character.

On the other hand; now every character from the Mario series who is anyone is playable(including Daisy and the Koopalings as alt costumes)...bar the ****ing one I've been waiting and wanting for 15 years. No matter how much you hate Toad he's still a damn sight more prominent and popular than...

2. Dr. Mario: **** this guy. I know he basically took no time at all, but over Toad as a Mario rep? Over Mewtwo as a returning veteran? He is literally a ****ing costume, something even the original request was for...we now have alt costumes AND customizable moves that would allow for a convincing custom Dr. Mario, but instead we get him as his own character. Can't say I didn't see it coming, but good god Sakurai, this is ridiculous now. The only saving grace is he probably only took two days at the very most to make.

3. Shulk: I have very little opinion on Shulk having not played Xenoblade, but he does seem to be a decent choice for a newcomer and I look forward to learning about him.

4. Dark Pit: Depending on what they do with him depends on how happy/annoyed I'll be. If he is a literal clone he's a waste of space. If he uses some of the weapon types Pit doesn't then he's somewhat more justified and isn't just in because of Sakurai.

5. Duck Hunt Dog: The crown jewel. The one that shines brightest. Had it not been for Duck Hunt Dog I'd probably be disappointed, but this guy is the best retro possible. Bar maybe Balloon Fight, Duck Hunt is the most famous retro game of all time. Having shipped with Super Mario Bros. probably helped, but also being an advocate for the light gun certainly didn't hurt his case. **** Takamaru, the generic Samurai, we got the goddamn retro we deserved.

6. Wario: Never any doubt, but the only veteran reveal I was waiting for.

7. Mr. Game and Watch: He appeared in the Pac-Man trailer, there was no doubt really.

8. Falco: Would of preferred Wolf. Yay for Falco players I guess, but aside from Lucas, and yes; Puff, he's the only vet I didn't want returning.

9. Ness: The only MOTHER protagonist who is international. Ness is all I need really from MOTHER(although Porky would of been cool too)

10. Ganondorf: Surprising no one, Sakurai stubbornly clings on to Captain Ganondorf. What a waste of potential, we're just going to have to get used to it. Urgh.

11. R.O.B.: Indifference.

12. Jigglypuff: Puff was obviously back...just I'd of preferred any Pokemon to her.
Side note: Not torn up about Ice Climbers. Just surprised. Didn't really think them that important retro wise, but with the Smash Run Polar Bears it's quite a shock...same for a Rhythm Heaven Rep...why include Sneaky Spirits of all things?

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
I got Shulk, I'm happy. All you Shulk haters can go shove the Monado up your ***es for all I care.

I do like Bowser Jr and DHD though. They'll probably be secondaries. Doc was my Melee main, so it's nifty to see him come back, and I'm neutral on DPit (but I'm happy for his fans). The cuts (if they prove to not be in the final roster if we haven't seen it) are a real shame though.

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
ROB should have been considered for one of the first characters to cut. If he makes it over Ice Climbers, wow.
What do the Climbers really have over ROB in terms of importance/popularity/relevance beyond having been in one more Smash Bros game? They were both surprising quirky retro picks.

Also kind of weird to see people making complaints about Doctor Pit and Dark Mario when the same things could be said of Lucina (too many FE characters, could've been a costume with a different voice/custom moves, looks too similar to Marth to be practical..). Yeah clones suck but we've known it was going to happen for a while now.

Last edited:

sandslash

Smash Apprentice
1. Bowser Jr.
2/5 Not a character i particularly care for and don't know how i feel about the clown car yet. However adds a different moveset so while not my favorite im ok with the move.

2. Dr. Mario
1/5 agree with most people should just be an alt.

3. Shulk
2/5 didn't play the games and im ok with him being in but doesnt do much for me personally. Not my playstyle but nice to have a new franchise.

4. Dark Pit
3/5 only if dark pit has a different or brawl moveset otherwise 0/5.

5. Duck Hunt Dog
5/5 Awesome. Played this game all the time as a kid. A character i really didnt think about before but has a great moveset capability. Cool character I will be using DHD for sure.

6. Wario
5/5 Glad hes back. Bigger character wth speed.

7. Mr. Game and Watch
3/5 Also glad hes back but didnt use him at all like the playstyle though.

8. Falco
4/5 Also not very good with Falco but i really like his character alot.

9. Ness
5/5, Love that ness is back. Original game and a unique character.

10. Ganondorf
3/5 Happy for the return but wished he would have gotten two swords would have been awesome.

11. R.O.B.
1/5, Not a fan. Has a unique moveset but would have rather had ivysaur, wolf, or almost anyone else from brawl.

12. Jigglypuff
5/5 Love jiggs. SO happy

Sad about no K ROOL. I wanted him so badly.

mini paincakes

Smash Journeyman
Boy, I hope this isn't the full roster. I'm glad there''s that picture of all star mode being locked to confirm that there's still something left.

1. I'm ok with bowser jr. Good choice

2. That's BS. No reason for him to be a character again.I know he didn't take someone else's slot, so I guess it doesn't matter that he's a character again. I was ok with him in melee so I'll be ok with him again... I guess.

3. Shulk. Best decision Sakurai ever made.

4. Dark Pit was one of the coolest characters in Uprising and Pit is one of my favorite Nintendo characters, only behind Samus and K. Rool. Even though I like Dark Pit, he deasily is the worst character choice Sakurai ever made for a Smash game. Sakurai didn't add wolf in melee because he looked too much like fox, but for some reason it's ok to add Dark Pit. Adding Palutena was already pushing he envelope in terms of KI representation, but this is just too much. It really sucks to see the more important series get shafted, while KI has more representation than almost every series. Doctor Mario and Lucina were reasonable. Dark Pit just doesn't sit right with me, especially in a game where Lucas and Wolf get cut. I hate Sakurai bias and I hate Dark Pit.

5. Duck Hunt Dog: I don't care for this choice, but I can understand why he was chosen. I might grow to love him.

6-12. I'm happy all these vets returned, but I'm going to be super salty if Icies, Lucas and Wolf don't return. They should all be in this game, even if Lucas and Wolf are demoted full-on clones. Ice Climbers should be a Wii U exclusive character if the 3ds can't handle them. Snake should return eventually too. I just hope these guys make it back as DLC or locked characters.

I might do a rant on this games character roster, but I'll wait until the game is out for that.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
1. Bowser Jr. - I said way back when Rosalina was revealed that if Mario got another newcomer, I would want it to be Bowser Jr. I though that he'd use his paintbrush, but I am totally on board with the Clown Car. Also, if the information is true about him having Koopaling alts, I'm definitely using Lemmy a lot.

2. Dr. Mario - I preferred him to Mario in Melee, so I'm cool with him returning. I may use him.

3. Shulk - I got Xenoblade Chronicles about a month and a half ago to prepare for "#MonodoMonday", and I love it. I can't tell much about his playstyle from the footage, but I'm very interested to see how he plays.

4. Dark Pit - I'm neutral. I liked him in Uprising, but unless he gets either Pit's Brawl moveset or an interesting difference from Pit, I probably won't use him much.

5. Duck Hunt Dog - YES. Can't wait to beat the living **** out of him and finally get my long-deserved revenge. Also, I want to use him and spam his laugh taunt (which you know is going to happen).

6. Wario - Meh. Didn't use him in Brawl.

7. Mr. Game and Watch - Cool to see him back, but I don't use him much.

8. Falco - I use him in P:M, but if he's like he is in Brawl, I'm probably not using him. Besides, I have many other options.

9. Ness - Meh. I preferred Lucas.

10. Ganondorf - Cool, but expected. Kinda salty that he's STILL a Falcon semi-clone.

11. R.O.B. - Meh.

12. Jigglypuff - Glad to see that the Puff is still in the game. THE PUFF WILL NEVER DIE.

I really hope that the rumor about Dixie Kong being in the game is true, though. CMON, SAKURAI. DON'T LET ME DOWN.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Veterans:

Jigglypuff:
My only remaining main veteran left before the leak, so I'm obviously super happy just to see her. I like that they decided to use the X & Y model.
Ness: While I'm not very good with Ness in Smash my favorite video game is still Earthbound, so it's just good to see him.
Falco: Favorite Star Fox character, so I'm happy he was picked over Wolf.
Ganondorf: I'm actually happy he doesn't have any weapons, I've always prefered this Dorf since I'm not a fan of the 3D Zeldas. Looks buffed, so super happy with him.
Mr. Game & Watch: Always been a very boring character to me, but he still deserves to be in.
Wario: I'm happy with how he looks, hopefully his moveset isn't changed too drastically.
R.O.B: Was boring in Brawl, I hope they can make him a lot more fun this time because I like his design and overall inclusion.

Newcomers:

Bowser Jr: Looks to be the most fun newcomer in this leak by far, I like Bowser Jr and I love this unique take on him.
Shulk: Never cared for Shulk himself, but I'm still a bit dissapointed in his moveset so far. Still, good for Shulk fans.
Duck Hunt Dog: Another character I never supported, but I like how he's quadrupedal, and he's a cool NES representant, so I'm perfectly fine with him.
Dr. Mario: I have good memories with this guy, so I'm fine with him. Hopefully he has his old Down-B.
Dark Pit: Only character I'm iffy about, would have been better as just a costume, I don't want a double chance of playing a character I already dislike when I pick random. I know there's kind of a double standard here since I just said I like Doc but not this guy, but it's more so a problem I have with Kid Icarus and Pit than it is with promoted costumes. Plus, at least Doc and Lucina look more different than this guy.

Cuts:

Ice Climbers: I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I considered Ice Climbers by far the worst designed Smash characters ever, they always have some cheap trick and Brawl hacks have never managed to fix them to a point where they still feel satisfying. Not even that, but they aren't even very good NES representants imo. I understand it's a really heavy cut since they participated in the last two games, and I'm sorry for the IC fans, but personally I'm happy they're not back.
Lucas: I've even played Mother 3 but I still don't really like Lucas, so once again I'm fine with it.
Wolf: Never been good with Wolf, in fact I suck hardcore with him, but he has become a running gag between me and my friends so I'm sad to see someone who gave us so many fun times get cut. Here's hoping for DLC.
Snake: Worst cut by far. Snake is the most unique character to ever grace Smash Bros, he was great because he didn't fit in, and overall he was a fun and great inclusion. A big loss imo.
Squirtle: Understandable and I don't really care much either.
Ivysaur: Understandable, but since he's part of my favorite Pokémon family it still hurts quite a bit. What I'd give for a solo Ivysaur in this game...

Last edited:

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
I hope the rumor of there still being unlockables is true, if Mewtwo or Ridley or another DK Rep do not show up, I will be disappointed with this roster.

Electric Lady

Smash Rookie
NNID
JohnQuixote
3DS FC
0662-4546-8146
The only thing that really upsets me is that Ganondorf still appears to be a Captain Falcon clone. My friend had a really good way of seeing the new clones like Lucina, Dark Pit, etc. in that he sees them as additions to the roster to fill it out. They were never planned to be "unique" characters (in the sense that they're based on existing folks) but the alternative is them not being in the game at all. I like more content than less, and it's not like clones in fighting games have never been a thing, anyway.

Ganondorf deserves better, though. He deserves his own moveset.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
My opinion on the roster depends on one thing: Whether or not the addition of Ridley, Dixie Kong, and Mewtwo is correct or not.

I say that because even though Dark Pit is a clone character, having him present there while Metroid and Donkey Kong still have only two characters is complete and total overkill. If they get a third character, then I can overlook it. While having Doctor Mario is also just... I don't know. I don't think that returning Mewtwo would be all of that much more effort than returning Doctor Mario. I could be wrong, but either way it doesn't look good to return a clone from Melee that nobody asked for while giving the finger to Mewtwo once again.

However, aside from that, the choices aren't so bad, and that's why if those three are true, I will think very highly of this roster. It's not what I wanted. However, with those three added, it is objectively a well-rounded out roster with many highly-requested characters. It still isn't perfect. Ganondorf and Toon Link still being clones is a real loss, but to be honest, I'm just a little surprised we could get a roster this big on a 3DS version, and if time was spent putting effort into adding the last three leaked characters, then I can let that one slide too.

So... It all hangs on the balance for me. TBH, if the CSS roster is the final roster, I'm going to be extremely disappointed and not want Sakurai to ever direct another SSB roster ever again.

Edit: Forgot to mention the cuts. They are very unfortunate. However, when I saw the news of Ice Climbers I wasn't very surprised because Sakurai mentioned he was having problems implementing them on the 3DS version. I don't know why he had to make both of the rosters the same. That strange decision really costed us a very unique character that I would have never saw Sakurai cutting. *sigh*

The loss of Wolf is a bit sad, too. Snake, although unfortunate, was expected. Lucas I really don't care... Just a clonish character anyway.

Last edited:

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I just kind of want this inconsistency to stand on its own but I'd probably get infraction for that.
I actually thought about that right when it was posted. Big deal. Wolf was a more unique character than Lucas, and it's also about the series. Mother is a finished series, am I right? While Star Fox didn't really deserve a new character, it most certainly didn't deserve to be cut a character when a new Star Fox is on the horizon.

That's my underlying thinking there. Perhaps it's sad that either had to be cut, but if one had to be cut I'd go with Lucas.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Yeah Star Fox doesn't deserve to just have a measly two characters and neither does DK. I can understand Mother not having much. It's a finished series that only had three game... two of which were only released in Japan. I don't think it's even close to the level of Star Fox or Donkey Kong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom