• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your opinions about the leaked characters? (SPOILERS INCOMING)

Is the roster great?

• YES!

Votes: 138 47.3%
  • NO!

Votes: 63 21.6%
  • Neutral.

Votes: 91 31.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Overall, I'm quite pleased. This roster has about as many characters I expected, which the more I think about it, is a lot of characters. 45 completely unique playstyles, plus custom moves. That's a lot. I'll breakdown each character though, because I feel like it.

Let's start with the returning veterans:
  1. Wario: I love how we have to get a leak in order to get this guy. Seriously, where has he been all this time? I'm glad he's back, and there was no reason for him to ever be cut. As for his moves (at least what has been implied by the trophy) yay, he appears to be mostly intact from Brawl. Time will tell if my surmise is correct, but I'll be sad if he's changed outside of his worthless moves, such as down smash. Wario Bike had better return. Half of my love for Wario is due to his Smash incarnation. Don't let me down!!
  2. Mr. Game & Watch: No reason for him to be cut, I love using him in Melee and Brawl, glad he's back.
  3. Ganondorf: I honestly don't mind that he's still a semi-clone or whatever you want to call it. Maybe I'm biased because I've never played a Zelda game outside of Four Swords and Link Between Worlds, but I've honestly never seen the need for a revision. He is powerful as you would expect, being Ganondorf. I dunno, maybe I just would rather not see a sword unless it was a really weird type of sword, like a scimitar or a levin sword or a Monado or something. If he used his sword from Melee in Twilight Princess, maybe I'd feel differently. So overall, I have no issues with him. I have no problems with his being a clone, and he has every reason to be in the game.
  4. Falco: I may not like him, but that's mainly due to me not liking the "space animal" playstyle. Falco is pretty much a staple of the series at this point, and while I don't use him, many others due. He has every reason to be back.
  5. Jigglypuff: I would be so sad if Puff was cut. I dunno why, but I love Jigglypuff in Smash. She may not be the best, most popular, or most adorable Pokemon, but there is something to be said when you kill someone by sleeping on them. She has no reason to be cut, and I'm so thrilled she's back.
  6. R.O.B.: YES. YES. I love R.O.B. It used to be my main in Brawl for a while. He was also my favorite to use in Mario Kart DS, but that has no bearing on Smash. R.O.B. was a really bizarre character in Brawl, but that's what drew me to it. R.O.B. is also a very important part of Nintendo's history, and if it was cut, I would be really sad. I think it has no reason to be cut, but that's just me. Welcome back.
  7. Ness: I love EarthBound, and that is due to being introduced to it through Ness. Ness is probably the most obvious character as of yet other than Wario. There is no reason for him to be cut. I may not use him as much as I used to, but I am really interested in seeing how he may be changed or buffed.
  8. Dr. Mario: Unpopular opinion time: I'm fine with Doc. His placement on the character select suggests he may have been a promoted alternate costume, and as such, he's more a bonus character than anything. I liked using him in Melee, but I never thought he'd return in a million years. I'm glad to be proven wrong. I know some people are bothered by him being the 7th Mario character, but the ratio of Mario to the rest of the cast is actually less than it was in Melee (1:5 in Melee, and about 1:6.8 in this game) so I don't see the issue.
And now we move on to the newcomers.
  1. Bowser Jr.: Bowser Jr. was definitely my preferred choice for a 5th Mario character, and I, like many others thought Rosalina meant he would not get in. Glad to be proven wrong and in the most glorious fashion possible. Not only is Junior unbelievably hilarious looking in the game from the leaked footage, but he looks to be extremely unorthodox. I'm really happy he uses the Koopa Clown Car over the paintbrush from Mario Sunshine. Not to diss the paintbrush or anything, but I've wanted to see a guy on a vehicle the whole match, as I thought it would be quite interesting to see in Smash. My expectations have been exceeded in that regard. Both Junior and the car are quite expressive, and it's like Junior isn't really slacking off and just sitting in the car. It's quite amusing to watch. Not to mention that Bowser Jr. and the Koopa Clown Car are part of an inside joke between me and my friend involving the Toad Houses and World 6-Airship in New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and seeing that in Smash (albeit unintentionally) is just hilarious. I'm hoping the Koopalings alt costume thing turns out to be true, then I can make jokes about Roy being in Smash 4.
  2. Dark Pit: I'm more on the neutral end of the spectrum with this guy. It'll be interesting to see how different he is from Pit, especially considering the Dark Pit thread noticed that he appears to have the Dark Pit Staff, but he's nothing to get too excited over. I don't mind him, and I don't hate him. Moving on.
  3. Duck Hunt (Dog): In my opinion, this is the best choice for a retro character. Not only does the Dog fit perfectly among the Smash cast, but he is one of the more famous Nintendo characters. I'm hoping his laugh is a taunt, and uses the original soundbite, so that trolling people from the opposite end of Palutena's Temple with the Duck Hunt laugh can be a thing. The proposed way he plays is also quite interesting, with the ducks on his back and assisting in attacks. I can't really say more about him due to a lack of footage, but I'm really glad he's in. :4laugh:
  4. Shulk: The only non-veteran I actually cared about. And he's in. Not only that, but he looks to be quite interesting with the supposed mode swap thing. I cant really think of much to say about him, other than that I can't wait to try him out, it's gonna be grand. Oh yeah, and his victory theme is pretty great.
As for my thoughts on cuts (because you totally care right)
  1. Snake: It's sad to not have him, but it's what I expected. I wish Sonic was cut too so we would have all new 3rd parties for this game, but eh, what can you do. He'll still be in Brawl though, where it's always showtime.
  2. Ice Climbers: I'm split on this cut. On one hand, it's a completely justified cut due to the (presumed) technical difficulties. If the hardware can't handle it, then don't have the character. Problem solved. On the other though, this (along with Snake) will be the first time a franchise has a playable character one game, and doesn't the next. With Snake it doesn't bother me as much because he's a guest character, but with the Ice Climbers, they were owned by Nintendo, and had a completely unique concept for how they played. It'll be sad not to see them, but sense I didn't use them it doesn't affect me as much as it does others. They'll be back in future installments for sure though. I have faith.
  3. Lucas: Another cut I'm torn about. I used to play Lucas and him being in the game was the only hope for Mother 3 ever being localized, but at the same time, I'm not going to miss him. I don't know why. I can play Brawl if I want to play Lucas.
  4. Wolf: I did enjoy using him, his take on the "space animal" playstyle I found far more enjoyable than Fox, Falco, or Captain Falcon, but I'm not going to miss him too much. I can always just play Brawl.
I dunno, I just don't mind cuts. They are inevitable, but it doesn't delete the character from the previous installment.

Overall though, I'm quite happy.

Last edited by a moderator:

PuffSmash

Smash Apprentice
Okay I may be grasping at straws here BUT... Has anyone considered that fact that Bowser Jr has 1 icon on the screen and has 7(?) alts to choose from. Couldn't this happen with other characters? Could possibly when you choose Jigglypuff you could choose a Squirtle/Ivysaur alt? That's really only an example but couldn't possibly ANY of the characters in the leaked roster be another 1 of 7 alts?

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Okay I may be grasping at straws here BUT... Has anyone considered that fact that Bowser Jr has 1 icon on the screen and has 7(?) alts to choose from. Couldn't this happen with other characters? Could possibly when you choose Jigglypuff you could choose a Squirtle/Ivysaur alt? That's really only an example but couldn't possibly ANY of the characters in the leaked roster be another 1 of 7 alts?
To be an alt, they have to perfectly copy the base's moveset. It's not impossible, but I wouldn't get my hopes up, especially since Sakurai seems to prefer promoting alts to playable status. Except for the Koopalings, but I don't think anyone wants 13 Mario characters with 8 having the same moveset xD

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I'm pretty upset about some of the cuts, but I'm not gonna point fingers at the other characters and blame them for it.

Regarding Ice Climbers, if it was really because of 3DS limitations, I would suggest IC be a Wii U exclusive character and have another character be 3DS exclusive as a trade off. Sure it seems unlikely since they apparently need desperately to have both versions have the same roster, but that's how I would've handled it...

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I'm pretty upset about some of the cuts, but I'm not gonna point fingers at the other characters and blame them for it.

Regarding Ice Climbers, if it was really because of 3DS limitations, I would suggest IC be a Wii U exclusive character and have another character be 3DS exclusive as a trade off. Sure it seems unlikely since they apparently need desperately to have both versions have the same roster, but that's how I would've handled it...
Or no trade off just make a Wii U exclusive character

Xavier :D

Smash Ace
NNID
legend_of_xav
I actually like the roster a whole lot, I got my most wanted newcomer (Rosalina) and every single newcomer thus far has impressed me (even Mii Fighters, though Palutena seems a bit less than I expected). and Duck Hunt Dog is just icing on the cake. Love his inclusion. I absolutely LOVE wtf characters. Also, why are people okay with Lucina being in, but when Toon Link, Dark Pit, and Dr. Mario are revealed they complain to days end? I honestly don't mind clones and I think they just add more to the roster. Sure, I'm bummed about Ice Climbers, Lucas, Wolf, and Snake being cut, but I can deal with it. I'm not going to let a few of my favorites being cut blind me from this amazing roster.

Last edited:

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
1. Bowser Jr. : I don't think Mario needs this many reps but I gotta say I am a long time fan of Bowser Jr. I was never really into the Koopalings even though I grew up on them I always found Bowser Jr. much more interesting. That Bandana is gansta! I love how he's in the Clown Car. Makes him even more unique.

2. Dr. Mario: Why... Gaw... I feel lied to. I remember Sakurai saying that he was going to try to solve the clone issue. Adding Doc as a stand alone character and not an alt costume does not solve the clone issue. I just hope they make Doc like they did Luigi. By that I mean give him visually different Smashes and normals. I would expect him to have the Tornado but for the love of everything holy if he has the F.L.U.D.D. I will never touch that character. If Doc was to Mario as Sakura is to Ryu then fine, I wouldn't feel lied to. I also will feel extra pissed if Mewtwo isn't unlock able later on. It would be like Sakurai said "I heard you Smash fans want Mewtwo back. Well, here's Doc!" Ugh....

3. Shulk: Great addition. Never played the game but Shulk has one of the coolest weapons I have ever seen, and I felt that way before I knew it was a beam sword. I am happy he is in just because of those individuals out there that complain about "lulz anime weebo sword users" . If I had my way there would be axe, spear, and pole users in Smash.

4. Dark Pit: For the love of... Kid Icarus has THREE games. THREE. The first one almost never existed because of its hellish development cycle. The seconds is decent....and I SWEAR I'm the only person in the world that played Of Myth and Monsters because it seems like no one else has even heard of it. Then there is Uprising, a game that might not of happened if not for Brawl. Plenty of cool character in Kid Icarus and we get the recolor of the hero. Wow. It wasn't enough that Smash 3DS is Kid Icarus: Uprising 2. W/e. I just feel like Mother has 3 games in its series and it barely got 1 rep. DK is one of Nintendo's longest franchise and they only have 2. Again, Sakurai said he'd deal with clones. I wish I knew a head of time that meant he would make MORE OF THEM... Hopefully he's like Wolf. Similar specials, different A attacks.

5. Duck Hunt Dog: He feels like he's in the same vein as GnW and ROB. For that, I am all for it.

6. Wario: I don't play him but I'm glad he returned.

7. Mr. Game and Watch: same as Wario.

8. Falco: I love Falco. I don't play him but he is my favorite Starfox character. I'm glad he is back.

9. Ness: I like Lucas more but I have the sames feels for Wario as I do for Ness.

10. Ganondorf: Glad he's back, not glad he's still Falcondorf. Legen of Zelda is my favorite video game series and this pisses me of. How does a 3rd party developer like Tecmo Koei do a better Ganondorf then a 2nd party developer like HAL? W/e....

11. R.O.B. I like ROB. Don't play him but I'm glad he is back.

12. Jigglypuff: She's a Vet. She should return. I rather have Mewtwo but I can live with Jiggs. I really do hope she didn't hurt Mewtwo's chances.

Cuts

Lucas: I am going to miss him and I hope he is DLC. I thought he was a great character and I prefered his powerful smashes over Ness. Doc and Dark Pit's inclusion makes less sense to me because Lucas got cut.

Wolf: Doc is in, Dark Pit is in, Wolf isn't. I liked Wolf. I would play him on occasion. I loved how they re imagined Fox's specials and gave Wolf unique smashes. I feel Smash needs more villains and that should have been reason enough not to cut Wolf.

Ice Climbers: It is sad to see them go and I hope they make it to the Wii U. It is really not that big of a deal if the 3DS has a slightly different roster than the Wii U version. There are no other characters like ICs and it's a shame to let them go when they bring so much to Smash.

Snake: I expected this, really. Hell, I thought Sonic would of gotten the axe, too. But yeah, I hope there is an as yet to be release Advance Wars character that inherits the move set.

Last edited:

Cloudy

Smash Apprentice
I really really really feel bad for Sakurai :/ He has worked so hard in this game and tried to keep the last unlockable characters as secret as possible (unlike Brawl where Lucario was accidentaly showed in a picture) and now it got leaked. Duck Hunt (which I jokingly wanted because I thought it would never happen) and Bowser Jr would have given me a big surprise, and these and the other secret characters would have surprised many too!

Im also scared, Sakurai got really mad when the SSE cutscenes where uploaded online very quickly and therefore it "ruined" that part of the game, and he decided to not make in this game to prevent that from happening again. What if this makes him decide not to make another smash bros game anymore? Sure, Nintendo would probably find someone else to replace him, but its going to be so sad that because of this, he is going to stop working on these games.

Maybe he doesn't stop and continues with the smash series, but im pretty sure he is going to develop some trust issues.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm SUPER glad ROB made the cut when others didn't

Also the only of the newcomers I'm excited for is Duck Hunt

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
1. Bowser Jr.- WHY. Cool mech or not I hate this kid and Mario getting another newcomer bugs me.
2. Dr. Mario- WHY AGAIN. Like I can't even think-WHY
3. Shulk-The only leaked newcomer I'm happy with.
4. Dark Pit- Neutral. Like Mario, I think Kid Icarus getting another newcomer is silly. But if he isn't a Lucina for Pit and actually uses other KI weapons then I'm okay with it.
5. Duck Hunt Dog-Neutral, though I think it could be awesome.
6. Wario-He's Back
7. Mr. Game and Watch-He's back
8. Falco-He's back
9. Ness-HELL yes he's back
10. Ganondorf-HELL Ye-oh wait he's still falcondorf. Neutral
11. R.O.B.-He's back
12. Jigglypuff-Bleh she's back again.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Not enough villains in this "leaked" Roster really looks disheartening.

With the small amount of villains in Smash to begin with, Wolf was "leaked" to be cut.....we need as much villains as possible.

Onto the characters:

1. Jiggylypuff - Awesome that Jigs is back.
  2. Falco - I don't mind him, but would rather not have Wolf have been cut if it meant keeping him.
  3. Duck Hunt Dog - I would prefer him to be an assist trophy.
  4. Dr. Mario - Should be a Mario Alternate Costume.
  5. Dark Pit - Should be an Alternate Costume for Pit, complete with Dark Pit's Voice and personality.
  6. Shulk - Person I was happy to see and agree with.
  7. Captaindorf - Ganondorf with Captain Falcon's moveset again........why?
  8. Bowser Jr. - Don't hate him or like him.
  9. Lucas - He is cut? What a dumb choice in a roster "leak". Mainly because Series' playable characters should not be downgraded.
All in all: 3/10.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
What do the Climbers really have over ROB in terms of importance/popularity/relevance beyond having been in one more Smash Bros game? They were both surprising quirky retro picks.

Also kind of weird to see people making complaints about Doctor Pit and Dark Mario when the same things could be said of Lucina (too many FE characters, could've been a costume with a different voice/custom moves, looks too similar to Marth to be practical..). Yeah clones suck but we've known it was going to happen for a while now.
It's just like my opinion, hence the title of the thread.

Normally we don't reply to people's opinions, in opinion threads, as it leads to arguments over opinions.
Which are stupid arguments, that often lead to flaming.

I've noticed you've replied to a few posts, your better off posting your own opinion and moving on.
Not challenging others opinions or attempting to change them.

If your truly curious, then PM that user.

Captain Bananoz!!!

Smash Rookie
Not a huge fan of the roster since none of the characters I wanted were revealed in this (final?) batch, which were mainly Isaac, Jeff, and Waddle Dee (Although Shulk was #5 on my list). I'm also kind of disappointed that there seems to be more clones in this iteration of the game. In all honesty, though, I'd be fine if this was the last Smash game, since I am looking forward to more games like Kid Icarus: Uprising from Sakurai apart from more Smash games.

I don't think Sakurai's updating the roster anymore, as it seems he's focusing solely on fixing bugs now. I do feel sorry for him about the same thing from Brawl happening again...

LordCQ

Smash Journeyman
1. Bowser Jr.
1/5 This is not Mario Tennis or Mario Party... 7 Mario characters is too much for my likes.

2. Dr. Mario
1/5 I can't even...

3. Shulk
3/5 I haven't played the game, however, I did see a 'let's play' video and seems fine. I'm ok with him but looks like a blonde Marth (moveset).

4. Dark Pit
1/5 Palutena and Pit were enough Kid Icarus representation.

5. Duck Hunt Dog
4/5 Weird choice but very nostalgic. I'm sure it will be fun!

6. Wario
5/5 Glad he's back.

7. Mr. Game and Watch
1/5 I hated it in Melee, I hated it more in Brawl with that forever-lasting final smash, will hate it more here.

8. Falco
4/5 I'm okay with him but I just can't stand his voice. Bring back his 64 or adventures voice actor!

9. Ness
5/5 Ok with him.

10. Ganondorf
3/5 Happy for the return but wished he would have some Ocarina of Time magical attacks...

11. R.O.B.
3/5, Not a fan but grew on me with SSE.

12. Jigglypuff
1/5 This thing is not even relevant now.

I just wanted Isaac... But hey, I got my bae Lucina <3

MooseSmuggler

NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
3. Shulk
3/5 I haven't played the game, however, I did see a 'let's play' video and seems fine. I'm ok with him but looks like a blonde Marth (moveset).
*facepalm* one move. One move is all he has that looks anything like Marth's, and we don't even know if it has different properties when it hits. Seriously -_-

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
Bowser Jr: For a long time, I was pretty adamantly opposed to his addition. He didn't seem to bring anything interesting to the table. However, seeing him in action immediately changed my mind. The clown car was a very creative idea.
Dr. Mario: Doesn't deserve his own roster slot. Should've been an alt for Mario.
Shulk: I've never played Xenoblade but a lot of people wanted him in, so that's cool.
Dark Pit: Three Kid Icarus is too many, even if he does turn out to be an original character. If he had to have three, Medusa would have been a much better addition.
Duck Hunt Dog: It's hard to judge since we know nothing, but I can think of way worthier additions. I'll be livid if he gets chosen over Ice Climbers.
Wario: Hopefully his move set got switched up so it actually bears some resemblance to his games.
Mr. Game and Watch: One of the most creative characters in the entire series. Very glad he's back.
Falco: I'd rather have Wolf personally, but as long as there are only two Star Fox characters I'm good
Ness: Earthbound is one of the greatest games ever made in my opinion. Very happy to see Ness
Ganondorf: Severely disappointed that his move set is more or less the same. Ganon has always been a huge missed opportunity.
R.O.B.: Never really cared about him, but I guess it's cool that he's back.
Jigglypuff: Always been a rather odd character. Guess I'm glad she's back

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I like B. Jr and Shulk
Would've preffered Lip over DHD but I guess he's alright
Dr Mario was a bad idea in melee and he's an even worse idea now

Dark Pit is also just bad, why him and not Dark Samus or Blood Falcon or a better KI Rep like Medusa
He does not deserve this spot at all

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Completely okay with Shulk.

I'm a bit upset with "Duck Hunt", but he'll grow onto me.

Dark Pit is EXTREMELY disappointing to me.

If Dr. Mario has Mario Tornado then I say screw Mario and I'll use him more.

Don't mind Falcondorf.

Just my 3 cents on it.

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26
i HATE dat dam dog tho...
and i think shulk is not likely going to be in, since it's really hard to think of a different moveset for another sword fighter
FUHQ DAT DAM DUCK **** DOG THO

MooseSmuggler

NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
and i think shulk is not likely going to be in, since it's really hard to think of a different moveset for another sword fighter
Please tell me you're joking. Shulk is more than capable of having an original moveset, and judging by the video, he does (minus the Up-B, which to be fair could have different properties when it hits).

The level of ignorance you're spewing is hilariously appalling.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
DHD is awesome. That is all.

Shulk has already been confirmed. Debates about his likelihood is pointless now.

Link Sharingan

Smash Ace
the only one that rustle my jimmies are Dr.Mario and Dark Pit.

if a Dark version of a character deserved to be in it should have been Dark Samus because even she have unique moves compared to Dark Pit or Dark Link on the Zelda games.

Doggyfishman

Smash Rookie
OK I was happy enough with the roster before the leak, Mario, Sonic, Mega man and Pac-man all in the same game! Also Little Mac, Villager and mii fighters all seem fun. I never really cared about having Mewtwo back. If the leak is real (I believe that it probably is but I'm waiting until it's confirmed) I will be even happier, here's why:

Bowser Jr: a lot of people hate him but as Mario sunshine was my first ever Mario game I can't hate him. If the Koopalings as alternate costumes thing is true though I will play Larry or Lemmy. As a character I feel like he will be really fun and unique and probably one of my mains: 10/10

Duck hunt dog: When I first saw him in the leaked pictures I was really unsure of it because I didn't see how a character who lifts up dead ducks and laughs could have a moveset. Then I remembered R.O.B and Wii Fit Trainer which made me realise that Sakurai could make it work. I don't think I'll play as DHD much but I still think he would be a fun addition to the game: 8/10

Dr Mario: As much as I love Mario sunshine I hated having FLUDD as Mario's down special. Obviously it makes no sense for the Dr to have FLUDD so hopefully he'll either have his original down special or a new one. I am fine with this addition: 5/10

Shulk: I don't care about the character as I have never played Xenoblade Chronicles. If he has an interesting moveset that is fun to use I might play as him: 3/10
UPDATE: After seeing his reveal trailer I am now really glad he is in. He looks really fun to play as and as swordsmen are my usually who I play as I might end up using him quite a lot: 7/10

Dark Pit: Sakurai has stated that if characters are even slightly different they get their own character slot, that said I think it would be much better if he used different weapons. I haven't played Kid Icarus Uprising (I'm left handed so the controls would be tricky) so I can't say much else about Dark Pit: 8/10 if he's unique 6/10 if he's a clone

Overall I am happy with the game whether The leak is real or not. Also I disagree with anyone saying that Sakurai is favouring his own characters too much. 3 characters from Kid Icarus is not too many when compared with other franchises, 5 Zelda characters (including Ganondorf), 4 Fire Emblem characters, and I don't think I need to say anything about the number of Mario characters.

Last edited:
I love Xenoblade so I'm glad Shulk is in.

Dark Pit was my favourite character in Uprising, so he's cool. Hopefully he uses his own weapons like the Dark Pit Staff.

Never supported Bowser Jr., but that move set turned me into a believer.

Duck Hunt Dog? Why not?

Dr. Mario... Meh, could have brought back or put in someone else.

Last edited:

Waluridleykryrool

Smash Journeyman
I'm still hoping it's just a very well done fake or at least an earlier version of the game that's missing some things since most of it just pisses me off, Wolf cut while an alt costume and a pit palette swap get their own slots, and ganon still being a ****ing semi clone are among the most infuriating.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Dare I say he is much better than Takamaru would ever be.
**** Takamaru, the generic Samurai, we got the goddamn retro we deserved.
Nurufufufufufufu, the sea salt is real with this. I'm somewhat glad that Duck Hunt Dog and Mach Rider (if what the leaker said was true about him being unlockable) are out of the way so that him and a few other underrated choices can get their chance in Smash 5. Who said that an Assist Trophy *in Roboitnik's voice* prrrrrrromotion isn't possible like what happened with Big Mac Little Mac. :troll:

Now for my evaluations of this magnificent and beautiful roster:

1. Bowser Jr. - The most underrated character that's always overshadowed by them damn Kooppalings and Toad to a lesser extent, I'm glad that he made it this time around. I wasn't high on his chances after Rosalina was confirmed. The incorporation of my favorite Mario concept is a badass idea for the little guy. I adore him as the 6th Mario rep. 5/5
2. Dr. Mario - My all time favorite main from the Melee days and he'll definitely make up for the fact that Mario may or may not be horribly be nerfed since the last titles. 4/5
3. Shulk - Xenoblade was the one game that really made me regret my decision on Wii games being underpowered and not being limitless. I loved his character and his character development really made me grow on him.. 3/5
4. Dark Pit - No Medusa, yet we get this yaoi bait of a character? Hah, that's rich! The only redeeming quality of his character is that he wields one of my favorite weapons in the game. 2/5
5. The Duck Hunt Dog - Just the perfect WTF choice along with Wii Fit Trainer. I will love to troll people online with his laugh to feast on those yummy tears. *lick lips* 5/5
6. Wario - Sexist fat man in gaming history. Nuff said. 4/5
7. Mr G&W - The flattest, yet coolest addition in Smash. I knew that smug ******* was back since Pac-Man's trailer. 5/5
8. Falco - The biggest **** in history had to show his face, but he's a beloved character in the competitive crowd anyways. 2/5
9. Ness - I prefer Lucas, but it's good to have the OG Mother rep in Smash. 4/5
10. Ganondorf - Nice, Falcondorf is back! I am already familiar with such a moveset after adapting with him. I hope he gets some speed burst at least knowing how trollish Sakurai is. 4/5
11. R.O.B. - My favorite Brawl newcomer is back, with a better look just from his face alone. I can't wait to see the looks on all the Ice Climber mains' sad faces after my robo buddy came back. :troll:. 5/5
12. Jigglypuff - The Super Tuff Pink Puff is back and she better have dem Fairy Type moves. . 3/5

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
It's just like my opinion, hence the title of the thread.

Normally we don't reply to people's opinions, in opinion threads, as it leads to arguments over opinions.
Which are stupid arguments, that often lead to flaming.

I've noticed you've replied to a few posts, your better off posting your own opinion and moving on.
Not challenging others opinions or attempting to change them.

If your truly curious, then PM that user.
This is a discussion forum, and I'm being perfectly civil so I don't think you're justified in accusing me of trying to start a flame war. If you don't want people trying to discuss things with you post to your blog instead of trying to play Moderator Junior.

You don't have to answer the question, I guess, but trying to police how I post when I'm not breaking any rules is incredibly rude.

AcanthusLux

Smash Rookie
Hmm...I find it hard to rate these, because I don't like being "against" characters...So I just want it to be clear that these ratings are my own excitement for a character, not an attempt at an objective interpretation of their worthiness. Every new character revealed makes me happy because I know their fans are having a good day.

In the poll, I voted neutral. If there was something between neutral and yes, I would have voted for that("kind of" "pretty much" "almost"). In my opinion, there are a lot of really great choices among the newcomers, but too few characters from my personal want list combined with several newcomers that are completely uninteresting to me, and too many cuts, including at least one really painful and unexpected one (IC) make it hard for me to call this roster "great" without at least a bit of reservation.

1. Bowser Jr. 2/5. Don't really feel the need for two new Mario characters. Piloting a vehicle was jarring to see, but might be interesting. Also don't really like the idea of costumes representing entirely different characters, but it's growing on me. He's kind of cute, I guess.

2. Dr. Mario 4/5. I'm slightly surprised at the hate for this fellow. Slightly. I used to be against clones myself, but I think it's important to remember that character slots aren't really the limiting factor for the roster, development time is. So Dr. Mario isn't taking, say, Mewtwo's slot. I dislike cuts, and am happy to see them undone. In particular, I think seeing a character come back after being absent a game is kind of inspiring. Especially since people weren't really expecting it (unlike Mewtwo). It's sort of like Dr. Mario is saying: "Cheer up fans of Roy and Pichu and Young Link (and Wolf and Lucas). It might seem hopeless, but nothing is ever really lost forever. And there's always Smash Brothers 5."

3. Shulk 1/5. Not familiar at all with his game, and to be honest, I really dislike his look. I am very much in favor of new franchises being represented, however. That gives him a point.

4. Dark Pit 0/5. Oh, I said I thought clones were fine, did I? 2 new Kid Icarus chracters? 2?!? And one of them is another Pit. You know, when I'd read about Sakurai being modest and not wanting to over represent his own games, I always thought "No man, you're the greatest. Go ahead and indulge yourself". Now I realize...no...no...

5. Duck Hunt Dog 5,000,000/10. This guy was on my top ten want list. I never suspected he'd be one of the few I'd get, but I'm even happier than I thought I'd be. He alone could redeem almost any roster for me. I just hope he keeps his trollish personality.

Not going to rate the Brawl veterans because I want and expect all of them, so their inclusions all fall into the "of course" category.

MooseSmuggler

NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Oh, then Neutral it is. The only problems I have is that shulks moves are similar to marths....
One move. Not "moves". One. Move. And we don't even know how it works when it actually hits someone. For the love of Bionis, stop making assumptions. And yes, I am gonna be "that guy" and call this **** out when I see it.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I'm down for BJr. But... The rest... Meh.

I really wish we had Ivy and Lucas. Paper Mario too. Otherwise the remaining characters are okay. Could've done without DHD

ferioku

Smash Ace
One move. Not "moves". One. Move. And we don't even know how it works when it actually hits someone. For the love of Bionis, stop making assumptions. And yes, I am gonna be "that guy" and call this **** out when I see it.
I really like shulk that's the thing and I want him to be completely unique

MooseSmuggler

NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
I really like shulk that's the thing and I want him to be completely unique
I wouldn't worry then. Aside from Air Slash, he is. We haven't had a character who can change stat spreads like clothes, and from the video, Shulk looks like he handles the system pretty well. And his counter (if it is one) looks like it'll be implemented well, but we need to see what he does when hit during it. Other than that (and the down air that just happens to go in a similar motion to Link's), everything is his own.

Dem Smashes tho <3

Ridles the Space Pirate

Smash Journeyman
all of the newcomers are pretty cool, I'm extremely disappointed that IC and Snake are cut. I still think that Wolf might just be an alt for Fox.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I guess I'll just dump my worthless opinions in here and see how they compare to everyone else's.

Bowser Jr.: He's always been a character I've thought should be included, but never really wanted, which is a rare situation as my wants are almost exclusively decided by what I think is deserving. I don't like the character, but I always thought he'd be fun to play as, and I've considered both a paintbrush and a Clown Car playstyle for him. I would've preferred a mesh of both. I know he's only really used the paintbrush once, but it was his signature icon in his debut game, and not having him use it for even a single attack would just feel wrong. First impressions are important, and no matter how much Nintendo tries to distance BJ from the paintbrush, I can't make that disconnection. Oh well. Guess that couldn't work thanks to the Koopaling alts. Normally I hate the idea of separate characters being alts, but it works in this instance. Don't care for the Koopalings at all, and will definitely always use Bowser Jr. when I play this character.

Dr. Mario: In my opinion, the most offensive of the Melee clones, and easily the one I least wanted to return (not counting Young Link, whom I consider to be Toon Link's earliest appearance). You'd think that, in the game introducing both widespread alternate costumes and customizable movesets, Doc would've been the most logical costume choice ever. You'd be wrong. That makes way too much sense. What we all have to keep in mind, I suppose, is that Nintendo really considers Dr. Mario to be a different person than normal Mario. I can't track down the source, but I remember reading that Miyamoto considers Dr. Mario to take place in an alternate universe, and that the titular character is a different Mario than the normal one. Still, that doesn't really excuse the fact that he returned to begin with. There were better potential late-addition clones.

Shulk: Never had any interest in Xenoblade, and he looks like a really bland character. Concerning his moveset, I'll wait to pass judgment, since we haven't seen that much. From what we have seen, he seems to be a stance-changer of sorts, but otherwise a generic anime swordsman (my least favorite type of character). Don't see how Chrom was any more generic; he could've been a stance-changer too. But I digress. Happy for my friends. They all wanted this guy.

Dark Pit: The worst addition in Smash Bros. history. Generic, bland, boring as a character, even if he has a unique moveset. Makes me actually appreciate Dr. Mario, of all things. I don't think this game (Sakurai treats Kid Icarus as if only Uprising matters, so I'm not calling it a series) even needed a single newcomer. Two is just overkill.

Duck Hunt: The canis in the coal mine. It's great to have another quadruped, especially after the untimely loss of Ivysaur, and this looks like it may be, potentially, one of the greatest fighting game movesets ever. Completely justified, due to the sheer notoriety of the dog's grating laugh. He's an icon in retro gaming culture, and deserves his place. He's not my preferred retro pick, but he's far from the bottom. He'd better have that laugh as a taunt, though. Sakurai cannot get away with including the Duck Hunt dog but not including the one thing that made him famous to begin with.

Wario: Of course he's back. He's one of Nintendo's stars. And as one of their stars, I feel like he's gotten gypped this time around. No new 3DS stage despite Wario Ware's constant handheld presence? Not even being revealed yet, despite being only a few weeks from release? It's like they're trying to shove him under a rug, which confuses me greatly because he was one of the most promoted newcomers in Brawl. All of this being said, I can't say I'm really excited to play as him again. His Brawl moveset is one of the most incongruously uncharacteristic things Sakurai has ever spawned.

Game & Watch: One of my favorite Nintendo characters and a Smash staple at this point. Glad to see him back. Hope he doesn't use the design he had in the Pac-Man trailer. Oh, and I hope he goes back to being more like his Melee self. He's too fast and fluid in Brawl. He's supposed to be slow and choppy.

Falco: Meh. I like him as a character more than Wolf, but there's no denying that Wolf is more beloved overall, and far more unique. I sympathize with Wolf fans; they have a good argument in that axing him over the bird is a greater waste of moveset variety. I hope that Falco at least appropriates some of Wolf's specials for his customs. I do find it a bit insulting that a two-time clone like Falco gets to stay due to Melee popularity, while the Ice Climbers got cut.

Ness: Best representative for the Mother series, and I'm glad he's coming back without Lucas. Never thought Mother needed more than one character to begin with, and while I understand the pain Lucas fans feel, I think he was easily one of the least offensive cuts. As with Falco and Wolf, I hope to see Ness recycle some of Lucas' specials for his customs.

Ganondorf: I honestly wish he weren't in Melee just so he could have been introduced later on with a legitimate moveset. Like Wario, I'm not very excited to play as him again, because his moveset is so disappointing. Still, better than to have a cloned Ganondorf than not at all. It's obvious where Sakurai's priorities are when you compare Pit's moveset changes to Ganondorf's lack thereof, though. Only hope now seems to be customs.

R.O.B.: A great addition to Brawl, and a sensible one to bring back. He's always going to be important to Nintendo's history, so I think he may be safe from now on, like Game & Watch. Will be fun to pair him up with Duck Hunt and do battle with Nintendo's Trojan Horse peripherals.

Jigglypuff: I don't want her gone per se, but if anyone needs to go, it's here. I have a hunch she's going to be much like her awful Brawl self, and she's hogging valuable shelf space for new Pokémon characters (and Mewtwo). Jigglypuff has her fans, who I'm happy for, but honestly, I think her having been in every game to date should be enough for us to accept. Looks like Sakurai disagrees though. I'm indifferent, overall. I want Mewtwo instead, but at least they kept her instead of adding another X/Y Pokémon I don't care about.

Ice Climbers being cut is the only major affront to me, personally. Some of the choices I'd argue are good for the roster, others bad. But Ice Climbers is the only one that hits home. Their absence knocks the roster down a whole letter grade, to use an analogy. Wishing for them to show up in the Wii U version, but I'm not setting my expectations high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom