• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your opinions about the leaked characters? (SPOILERS INCOMING)

Is the roster great?

• YES!

Votes: 138 47.3%
  • NO!

Votes: 63 21.6%
  • Neutral.

Votes: 91 31.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
EVERYONE HERE IS GREAT. If it's good enough for Sakurai/Sora/Nintendo to put in the game to begin with, it should be 10x good enough for me, so it is.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
EVERYONE HERE IS GREAT. If it's good enough for Sakurai/Sora/Nintendo to put in the game to begin with, it should be 10x good enough for me, so it is.
I really miss when I used to think like that.

I miss when I looked at Melee's roster and instead of going "What? What are these awful clone choices?! Where is ___ and ___?" I was like "OMG Doctor Mario. That's so hilarious. Who would have thought of that? Young Link, that's awesome! I get to have both Links from OoT fight!", etc., etc.

I really do miss those days. Melee was pure bliss for me. Expectations burn. =(

ShrekItRalph

Smash Ace
The smasher comes from the bottom of the arena
1. Bowser Jr.
4/5 I was never big on this character being in the game, but his move-set is what sold him for me. Although I will agree with people that we didn't need another Mario character.

2. Dr. Mario
1/5 I'm okay with clones, but Dr Mario had no reason to come back.

3. Shulk
4/5 I supported Shulk and I am happy to see him in the final game.

4. Dark Pit
3/5 As I said, I'm okay with clones and I like Dark Pit in uprising, although I would have preferred if they called him Pitoo.

5. Duck Hunt Dog
4/5 Nice retro rep choice, I just want to see his moveset.

6. Wario
5/5 Why would I want him cut

7. Mr. Game and Watch
5/5 I love G&W

8. Falco
2/5 I honestly would have taken Woof over him, but what ever.

9. Ness
5/5, Same as Wario

10. Ganondorf
2/5 I hope custom move set's make him less falcon.

11. R.O.B.
5/5, I like ROB

12. Jigglypuff
5/5 See Ness, plus I wanted her back the most of any of the old Pokemon reps.

13. Ice Climbers :<

So over all, apart from Ice Climbers getting cut, I am very satisfied with this roster, but I would have been fine with the newcomers if there weren't any after Robin.

TheDMonroeShow

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3695-0037-2189
Confirmed newcomers
1. Bowser Jr. - I'm gonna be honest I did not like the idea of this guy but after seeing the game play I'm in a bit more optimistic, the clown car looks silly and fun and the koopalings being alts (like many other characters should of been) is is a great feature especially for those who prefer them to bjr. 4/5

2. Dr. Mario - in a game where we have alt costumes and custom moves there is no excuse for this. While lucina and dark pit are at least DIFFERENT characters the doc is still Mario. The only good I see from this is the return of his old down b. 1/5

3. Shulk - shulk seems to be on the other end of the spectrum that bowser Jr was. I was super excited for him and STILL am but his moveset was was not very impressive. Seems like wasted potential bur I'm hoping it's an earlier build so maybe his animations will see some changes and he'll look better in action. So all in all very excited just hope this wasn't the final build for him 5/5

4. Dark Pit - I'm upset for the same reason I'm upset with lucina both have a lot of potential to be their own unique characters but it seems their be relegated to clones. While I am happy to have them on the roster instead of not at all I still think they should of stayed skins imo. 2/5

5. Duck Hunt Dog - I don't know I don't really care for him I guess? I just never get excited for retro characters so I guess I'm neutral. I am a bit salty that this **** gets in while ic seems to be cut however 1/5

Veterans
6. Wario -no doubt he would return, I just hope his move set sees some changes making him more akin to wario land..or at the very least changes his awkward animations. Excited

7. Mr. Game and Watch - I have nothing against gw but I don't see why ic would get cut in favor of keeping him. Indifferent

8. Falco - I would of preferred wolf but at the very least I hope Falco becomes as diverse as wolf or they just hand him that moveset. Somewhat excited

9. Ness- glad to see him back but I never had a doubt that he wouldn't be. Excited

10. Ganondorf - the major disappointment here like many others have said is he still has his clone moveset..I mean Hyrule warriors got it right why couldn't the smash team? I'm glad he's back but we can only hope the footage was an early build. Excited for character disappointed in moveset.

11. R.O.B. - same as gw but I would of strongly preferred rob to be the retro character cut. He's not a game character. Indifferent

12. Jigglypuff - I'm glad to see jiggz back because I like her moveset but I don't know part of me wishes she was dropped on favor of better pokemon reps? But with hbox being my favorite smasher I can't complain excited

Cuts
Snake - snake never felt like he belonged to me while it has nothing to do with his tone, his games just do not appear on Nintendo platforms. Which always made me feel he was undeserving of his slot..though i will admit I would of preferred him to pacman Indifferent

Squirtle - it made sense that the other pokemon would get cur considering they pretty much piggy backed off charzard keeping them in would be unnecessary given there's much better choices and we have enough gen 1 pokemon. Glad

Ivyaaur- same as Squirtle but I would of loved to see his moveset transfered meganium since we still need a grass rep as well as gen 2 love. Glad

Lucas- I don't play earthbound but this cut still upsets me. I liked his character and he was always the least cloney of the clones..so hey maybe dlc? I just hope this isn't goodbye especially when we have stuff like Dr mario. Upset

Ice climbers -this one just makes no sense to me. Ic have a very unique moveset and arguably the most popular of the retro characters. I just don't get it, I hope we still see them down the line somewhere similar to Lucas.. very upset

Wolf- like I said earlier would of preferred him to Falco to to him being less of a clone as well as a much needed villain..but I'm not super upset unlike the last two. Upset

Rumored newcomers
Ridely- like I just stated we need more villains and with metroid needing more rep, he seems like a great choice and is easily my favorite of this batch so hers hoping. 5/5

Dixie - I don't play dk but provided she's not a Diddy clone I would really like to see her considering how much people want a dk rep 3/5

Chorus men - I really unique move sets line smash and while I'm not into rh I feel like the chorus men could be really fun so I would love to see them 4/5

Mewtwo- unlike most I don't really want metwo, his design is similar to pokemon we already have as well as being another gen 1. I'd much prefer something different and move diverse in terms of design. 2/5

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
http://mynintendonews.com/2014/08/2...-nothing-to-say-about-todays-smash-bros-leak/ uhh, they confirmed it for themselves...
Anyway, the roster!

1. Don't care he is in that vehicle, I still hate the character
2. NO REASON TO NOT BE A COSTUME
3. Interesting
4. See 2
5. I could see Sakurai doing this, but it really is our second WTF character
6. Obvious
7. see 6
8. I demand the other SF character
9. 6
10. 6, but still only has sword taunt
11. me likey
12. 6

There are still other characters, so it depends on who these last 5 characters are.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
To anyone unsatisfied with the leak, remember the following:
1. Gematsu could have been true, leaving us with only Shulk and Chorus Men as newcomers.

2. You could be playing persona 4 arena ultimax, where it's totally ok to add only 6 new characters to the boxed release, (two of whom have the exact same name) still have day-one DLC. and box off important sections of the story through DLC.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Very happy with the roster.

Glad to see Wario.

Last edited:

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
1. Not who I would have chosen, but hey, they made that little nugget work.
2. Should've been a costume.
3. Was obvious from the start, and a great selection.
4. Should have been a color for Pit.
5. AWW YUSSS DUCK HUNT HYPE.
6-12. Obvious (and stinkin' cool) veteran choices.

Overall score:
upload_2014-8-26_7-9-29.jpeg

It's pretty good. No hate here.

King Orfut

Smash Cadet
Don't normally comment on unofficial leaks, but I'll give in to this one;

1. 3/5 never supported the idea of adding yet another Mario character, but Bowser Junior doesn't anger me at all.
2. 0/5 Sakurai u suck for this. As many others have already said, he should've just been an alternate with vitamins as a custom special. Just terrible...
3. 4/5 Out of all the newcomers he'd be one of the best choices.
4. 0/5 palette swap is pallete swap.
5. 4/5 Duck Hunt Dog is pretty funny. Honestly never supported him, but I'm not complaining.
6. 3/5 cool.
7. 5/5 Glad to see him back.
8. 4/5 Glad to see him back but I hope he's even further differentiated from Fox/
9. 5/5 Was never good with him, but it isn't Smash bros. without him.
10. 0/5 because I'm almost sure he's a C. falcon clone again. Stupid sakurai, WHY WONT YOU LISTEN TO OUR PLEAS?!?!
11. 5/5 Unique and pretty cool.
12. 1/5 Somebody pop this balloon already!

With that being said, I don't believe this leak at all until it's up on the official site.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Doc and Pittoo annoy me greatly, especially when regarding the cut characters. But I'll redeem them if we get the big three (Dixie, Ridley and Mewtwo) in top of the current roster additions. Sakurai's bias is really, really throguh the roof - and with how it comes to deconfirmations of so many wanted characters (right to the cuts), it's saddens me how the fan feedback won't ever get back to him to reconsider thinking over the roster's final bits again for next games.

Pittoo being an anti-clone though (with the finding of Dark Pit Staff) would be pretty baffling too, but it all makes me wish he was anything than an edgier Pit promoted from an alternative costume in Brawl to a fully-fledged character. It's also so funny how all other Dark-versions of characters in Smash get shafted for an Alt-status or an Assist, but Dark Pit gets a free pass.

I might be less harsh on Doc though, but I expect him to be same. I'm used to him though, as much as I also find him a novelty addition in Smash-series until now.

Alright, enough negativity.

Bowser Jr looks completely fun and intuitive. It's quite genius how they went with this kind of a concept for the, only fighting by use of the Koopa Clown Car. Even better is the fact that if the Koopaling-alt thing, I might have another unexpected main in hands (#TeamLemmy). Even better is that it points to be more likely now,. thanks to the Larry-trophy being shown inside a Koopa Clown Car unusually in the leak screenshots.

Shulk is bit more difficult bite. Is it me, or are the ideas running out for new swordsmen? He has some moves that resemble those from other characters mishmashedly. The mark-thingie intrigues me though, is it the stance-changing move?
I haven't also played Xenoblade before, but I hope he's gonna end different than my first impressions with him in the leak videos. These guys should be crafty, right?

I'll hold off on rest newcomers until shown by visual footage to talk about them more in detail. Here's hoping the rest of the roster isn't seen yet and it's close to what most people speculate it to be... not. :troll:

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I want to hear your opinions on this topic here, now that we have more proof that it's real. I'm curious about your opinions on the characters that were leaked.

Here are the characters:

1. Bowser Jr.
2. Dr. Mario
3. Shulk
4. Dark Pit
5. Duck Hunt Dog
6. Wario
7. Mr. Game and Watch
8. Falco
9. Ness
10. Ganondorf
11. R.O.B.
12. Jigglypuff

OPINION TIME!

1: Bowser Jr. : Looks fun. Creative moveset, and I once at a point wanted him in. I think it's weird that he looks so tiny though, but that's just a petpeeve. Best part of the leak so far.

2: :drmario: : Words cannot explain the **** that must go through one's head to make this horrible excuse of a character nothing more than an alternative costume for Mario. Hell, they should've made him an alternative costume, but with his own set of custom moves- and as DLC. If only he was DLC.... I wouldn't have no problem with him. 0/10

3: Shulk : I'll forever hold Isaac in higher regards. And he looks rather cloney, and as bland as I expected him to be. Good for his fans he's in, but I really don't give a ****.

4: :pit:'s alternative black costume in Brawl: Sakurai playing Big Bad Biased *****, Basically. Nothing excites me about him. But he was to be expected after Lucina's reveal and the Palutena trailer. Especially knowing his bias. Bias/10

5: Duck Hunt Dog: I am completely neutral untill I see footage of him. So far, I like the idea of him being in but I haven't really gave him a good thought, so neutral it is. Am at least happy he's probably gonna be unique.

6: :warioc:: Of course he was in. :rolleyes: No moveset changes is a bummer though.

7: :gw:: Confirmed when Pac-Man joined the fray. Whoever had doubts is more of an idiot than the one who decided on Dr.Mario's inclusion.

8: :falco:: I always preffered the air.

9: :ness2:: :ness:

10: :ganondorf:: Captain Clonondorf is back, and I will absolutely give him no attention if he hasn't at least has had his Specials revamped.

11: :rob: : I like R.O.B.

12: :jigglypuff:: If you cannot find love for Jigglypuff in your heart after all the times she's been thrown in your face since Smash 64 there's no hope for redemption for you.

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
1. Bowser Jr.
I was sceptical, and I wasn't so keen on his copter. That all changed when I saw him--he looks amazing.

2. Dr. Mario
Such a fun characters to play in Melee. To me he feels like a Mario with more offensive tools (especially in the air).

3. Shulk
As time went by I expected him more and more. I need to play Xenoblade.

4. Dark Pit
Pittoo! He better have his Dark Pit Staff, and while possibly a clone, I hope he's different enough in a Melee Fox/Falco way.

5. Duck Hunt
This character was requested a lot, but I never took mind to it. Now it's happening? I actually find it great, I love surprises!

6. Wario
This was a character to expect. I can't play as him very well, but he's a funny character.

7. Mr. Game & Watch
Awesome, one of the more fun characters to use. That down-throw is definitely going to be changed hahaha.

8. Falco
I hope his mobility feels closer to Melee than Brawl. I feel like his blaster and down-air are going to get nerfed...

9. Ness
One of my favourites! He... needs buffs, because he has poor approach, small range and laggy projectiles.

10. Ganondorf
He's a slightly faster Brawl Ganondorf! That was a surprise, although we've yet to see a lot of his other attacks.

11. R.O.B.
R.O.B. is kind-of fun but also awkward. I didn't enjoy his mobility/aerials, but I really liked his ground game.

12. Jigglypuff
Bring back the Rest!

When it comes to clones such as Lucina, Dr. Mario and Dark Pit I choose not to get bothered by their inclusion like so many others--I actually think they're awesome and the negative energy doesn't really contribute to anything. They don't take up a potential newcomer slot, and they're generally made to be last minute additions to further beef up the roster.

Roster slot talk around the Smash community is generally a really defensive topic, because there are countless people with wishlists, and some of them get angry with each passing reveal that doesn't have what they want. We're at a roster around ~50 characters, and that alone is something I find amazing. Smash has got me into many new series (such as Fire Emblem, Kirby and Mother), so the more representation or characters I never expected, the better.

Last edited:

strawhatninja

Smash Ace
NNID
hecticzacattack
3DS FC
4441-9826-4993
I put no, but that is just with the current roster. If the rest of the characters are Mewtwo, Dixie, Chorus Men, or Mewtwo, Ridley, Mach Rider, Impa, Dixie, then I will be happy.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Guys Dark pit is not that bad.Atleast Dark pit is better than doctor mario.Atleast he can be a semi clone or better yet have a unique moveset unlike doctor mario who is 100x worse as he adds nothing.Plus if the Nakia leak is true who have Ridley ,Dixie ,Impa, Mewtwo and mach rider is in the game.So i don't see why we can't have dark pit.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
My problem with Dark Pit is that he was a pointless effort even for a clone.
For starters, his origins was a color swap in Brawl. That spawned into a separate character in the only K.I. game to have him around, which was ironically made by Sakurai.
Now Dark Pit is back as a character, possily a clone, when he was more than fine as a color swap.
Probably back as yaoi fangirl bait. :p

But I admit this is just a minor con if I compare it to the greatness that the rest of the roster is. And like some say, if the Forseen Five make it in, Dark Pit is just water under the bridge. :)

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
Dark pit will probably have different special attacks, and his model doesn't take any extra work besides swapping colors. So he'll at least be better than doctor mario, and Lucina.

DoobieStories

Smash Cadet
1. Bowser Jr.- Looks pretty fun ill probably love him still wanted the last mario rep to be paper mario but hey i thought we were done with mario reps at rosalina

2. Dr. Mario- I wont mind him as long as he gets a little more individuality which i expect

3. Shulk- never played the game kinda cool i guess woulda rather had issac cause now his chances are lowered

4. Dark Pit- DIFFERENT MOVESET and he will be killer

5. Duck Hunt Dog- MY FAVORITE PART OF THE LEAK and we havent even seen gameplay yet

6. Wario- Cool give me alts from super wario land 3 with construction hat cause that game was BOSS

7. Mr. Game and Watch- F*%@ YA MON expected this though

8. Falco- woot but kinda wanted wolf more

9. Ness- You cant cut a starter, even if he broke his leg

10. Ganondorf- Im glad hes back and if his neutral b has changed thats tight if not still glad

11. R.O.B.- i loved this guy so im happy

12. Jigglypuff- you cant cut a starter

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Thoughts about the cut characters:

:squirtle:: Really liked him in Brawl. Also would have liked him to become playable on his own, maybe totally revamped into Blastoise. Am sad he's gone, but it was to be expected as soon as we saw Greninja.
:ivysaur:: Soon as Greninja popped up, there was little hope for his fella. Unfortunate, cause I also happened to like Ivysaur. Elemental trio is gone, and many ask for Sceptile because of this. And he had so much potential to be fun and unique to... Like Squirtle, I hope to see him back in future installations but fully evolved into Venusaur.
:snake:: Nobody screamed 'guest character' as much as Snake did. Shame that the only time he was in Smash was with those ridiculous hitboxes. His playstyle will be missed, he was a very fun opponent. In fact, he was my favorite character to fight against in Brawl with Diddy. I just really liked that match up.
:pt:: Had a lot of issues, so am relieved we don't have to deal with that anymore. Stamina was a bad gimmick, and literally good for nothing. Yes, he's iconic. But no, he didn't deserve to be playable on his own. I always hated that suggestion.
:lucas:: Man poor, poor Lucas. :( This guy has had it rough, not only all that **** that happened to him in Mother 3, but also his grab release frames in Brawl which seriously limitted the potential he had, and now he's getting cut. I really liked the duo of Ness and Lucas. I think there where no semi-clones as well done as they where. And I really wanted him in Brawl, playing Mother 3 beforehand and all. I will miss him. A lot. All his moves outside of his Specials where really fitting his Mother 3 style to, much more than Ness represented EarthBound I always felt. At the very least, I hope his absence will mean an overall improved Ness who will hopefully be a hybrid character between Brawl Ness and Lucas. That's literally everything postitive I can say about his cut.
:wolf:: Never wanted him to get cut. I liked his inclusion in Brawl. And I always felt that people calling him a clone where bat**** insane. His playstyle was fun, unique, and even though I wanted Krystal more in Brawl, I really liked Wolf for what he brought. A real feral playstyle, very brutish. Not like the tactical, technical, swift Fox at all! Man, I do hope at least Lucas and he will turn DLC.
:popo:: I advocated for their return when Brawl was still in development, but as soon as I saw their horrible wobbling returned, worse than ever, I regretted that. Man, this / these character(s) are broken. I doubt their wobbling would be removed even now. While it's sad that a 2 time veteran is cut now (hey, me suggesting Sheik's removal wasn't THAT blasphemous now right!?) the many, many, MANY technical issues they had makes me say that I justify them being cut. But, it would be kinda nice to see a solo Ice Climber I guess.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Dark pit will probably have different special attacks, and his model doesn't take any extra work besides swapping colors. So he'll at least be better than doctor mario, and Lucina.
That's assuming a lot. He's grouped with the two other promoted costumes, so currently it's safest to say he's going to be as different from Pit as Lucina is from Marth.

Last edited:

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
That's assuming a lot. He's grouped with the two other promoted costumes, so currently it's safest to say he's going to be as different from Pit as Lucina is from Marth.
I saw someone point out that he had a staff from the game in one of the pictures... can't seem to find it though.
Eh at least they didn't waste time making a whole new character model though.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
1. Bowser Jr.: I honestly didn't expect him at all. Looks really fun and unique, which is what I value the most in a newcomer. So far so good, I really want to see more.
2. Dr. Mario: No. Just no. Should've been a Mario alt. Dr. Mario as a standalone character sucks. A lot.
3. Shulk: It's not that we've seen much, but looks pretty cool. That "Mode Change" thingy can be really interesting.
4. Dark Pit: Although I'm a bit upset because he looks exactly the same as other character and that's something I really hate in a fighting game, I liked him in Uprising, and he can have a unique moveset just by using different weapons. So, 50/50 on this one.
5. Duck Hunt Dog: I didn't like the idea at first, but I've become interested on him all of a sudden. A dog, just a plain dog, using ducks to attack? I totally want to see that NOW.
6. Wario: Was there ever any doubt he'd be back? I just hope they changed his moveset a little. I like him, but not his moveset.
7. Mr. Game and Watch: One of my Brawl mains. Glad he's back!
8. Falco: Getting him instead of Wolf really hurts, but eh.
9. Ness: Never liked him, but he's an important character on the series, so glad to have him back.
10. Ganondorf: YES! I mean, no doubt he was returning, but I'm glad to see confirmation. A bit disappointed that he's still the same, though.
11. R.O.B.: Yes again! Just because I love to see all the R.O.B. haters getting pissed because he's back. I really liked him in Brawl.
12. Jigglypuff: I can't say I'm happy she's back, but as she's unique, it's no big deal.

And about the cut characters:
1. Lucas: I didn't like him, I felt he was included in Brawl for no reason and I've always thought he'd be cut, and there we have it.
2. Snake: I've always thought he didn't fit in Smash, but I liked his moveset and he was very unique, and it's always sad to lose a unique character.
3. Ice Climbers: Yikes. I didn't expect this. I didn't like them either, but they were a classic, and unique too, so yep. Sad.
4. Wolf: THIS ONE HURTS. A LOT. I'd trade him for Falco without hesitating. Whyyyyyy?

Anyways, so far the roster is REALLY good, except for the loss of Wolf and having Dr. Mario back. I hope the remaining characters are great so we can have an overall amazing roster.

nuclearneo577

Smash Journeyman
1. Bowser Jr.: I didn't expect him at all, but being in the clown car makes a ton of sense, it's a good way to give him a ton of unique moves. Plus NSMB 1 was one of my first DS games, so there's also a nostalgia factor for me.
2. Dr. Mario: My favorite clone of all time, Mario + more K.O. power = yes. I was pretty much sure that he was gonna be an alt costume though, now I can't wait to see his final smash.
3. Shulk: Never played anything Xeno related before, but he still looks pretty cool. As long as he has a unique moveset I'll be happy.
4. Dark Pit: Maybe it's because I've never played Uprising, but I really don't see why we need him as anything but an alt costume for Pit. Still, he can't be a lame of a clone as Melee Ganondorf.
5. Duck Hunt Dog: Never played Duck Hunt, but now I really want to see him in action. I kinda wanted a Nintendog for the sake of having a dog as a playable character, but a dog with ducks and possibly the NES Zapper? Heck yeah!
6. Wario: I never really played as him in Brawl, but removing him would have made no sense. Although I still wish that he would have his plumber costume by default, but I don't see that ever happening now.
7. Mr. Game and Watch: He's my Brawl main, when the Pac-Mac trailer came out I was more excited about him showing up at the end, even though I was sure that he would be back all along.
8. Falco: Please Nintendo, give him an Arwing as a final smash.
9. Ness: I don't play as him very much, but he's been in since Smash 64, so removing him would make no sense.
10. Ganondorf: Lame that he's still a Captain Falcon clone, but it appears that he's been buffed a little bit, so that's good at least.
11. R.O.B.: Never played as him, but he was a pretty cool addition to Brawl, and his new render looks nice and shiny. Now if only he had a better final smash.
12. Jigglypuff: I seriously can't believe that people actually expected her it to be removed. Everybody from Smash 64 is going to be in every Smash game ever, no question about that.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Alright, here we go!
1. Bowser Jr. is definitely really cool to watch in action! If his alts actually ARE the Koopalings in the clown car, that'd be even more rad, but even on his own I really like the homage to NSMBU. 4/5
2. Arguably the most controversial. And, wow, actually my favorite of this bunch! Dr. Mario has the dubious distinction of being part of my most rented Nintendo 64 game as a kid, and as far as "he could've been an alt for Mario" goes, I would be disgusted to see Doc with FLUDD. Personally I think Doc is going to be Melee Mario or a direct port of Melee Doc, either one is satisfying. RIP FLUDD. 5/5 would rent N64 game again
3. Ah, Shulk. Never got into Xenoblade but I pray he has the laughably bad voice acting from it. 3/5, should be interesting.
4. Here's my one grievance. Never liked Kid Icarus OR Uprising for that matter. Dark Pit is probably gonna be a direct port of Brawl Pit but blergh, unlike Doc he doesn't even have childhood nostalgia to go with him. 2/5 only because Brawl Pit mains might not get left behind.
5. Oh my god, Duck Hunt? You know what, I thought it was stupid at first, but that slowly bubbled into me realizing the inherent genius of it all. He better have that stupid laugh. 4/5
6. Wario not coming back would have been not only a shame, but a real disgrace. 4/5
7. G&W has done a lot for the game industry and bears the same age as Pac-Man. Why not? 4/5.
8. To see Falco back and not at least Wolf alongside him feels wrong. Don't get me wrong I've never cared about clonage really, but at least Falco mains can be happy. Neutral 3/5.
9. Ness being gone would also be a disgrace so I'm glad he's back. 4/5.
10. Ganondorf, the King of Evil, still looks cool but I really really hope they just make his stuff less laggy. I like his current gameplay(always have) so less lag would make him actually usable! 3/5.
11. R.O.B. was always an interesting character to me, I always wondered about why they picked him, but he was unique and went really crazy with both his execution and concepts. Definitely worth it. 4/5.
12. Jigglypuff is jigglypuff. Always been neutral on this character but seeing any of the original 12 from 64 gone would be sad. 3/5.

Overall yes I damn well do love this roster! Doc is back for people like me who liked the older incarnations of Mario better, and yes, there is inherently large childhood bias as far as Doc is concerned. I don't care.

And in response to missing the old days when people didn't care about clones on the roster and just had a blast with the game regardless....yeah, I do miss that. Doc was always funny to me.

Last edited:

Sagashi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sagashi
I'm just gonna talk about the newcomers, as the vets are all "Eh, okay, they're back. Cool."

Bowser Jr.: I'm okay with this, especially since I get to play as Kooky Koopa~. Ludwig was always my favorite.

Dr. Mario: . . . Can't say I'm too happy about this one. Granted, better him than Roy or Pichu, but still I'm not too keen on his return.

Shulk: Meh. Haven't played Xenoblade, and I don't really intend to. Would have rather had Isaac.

Dark Pit: No.

Duck Hunt Dog: YES. I want him. PLEASE play like Banjo-Kazooie might have if we had them around still (You KNOW they would have been in Brawl if not for the buyout. the fan outcry would have been overwhelming.) Also, please have the laugh as a ta... Oh who am I kidding, of COURSE he will.

tomvoxx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thighland529
Switch FC
SW-1258-1614-8509
1 BJ looks like a fun character actually. I figured he would have the brush from sunshine but whatevs. Maybe it will be a part of the custom specials.
2 the doc should have been an alternate costume for Mario.
3 I was skeptical about the s hulk before but I've opened up to him as being a unique character and bringing a new franchises to the table. Hopefully he uses a doll for the final smash.
4 same argument for the doc, should be an alternate costume for the angel boy
5 I first figured this ol hound would have either been an assist trophy or stage hazard/element if there was a duck hunt stage, but I'm intrigued by the character. Looking forward to trying him out.
6 - 11 I figured they would all be back but Mr dorf should have been a little more de-cloned.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Guys Dark pit is not that bad.Atleast Dark pit is better than doctor mario.Atleast he can be a semi clone or better yet have a unique moveset unlike doctor mario who is 100x worse as he adds nothing.Plus if the Nakia leak is true who have Ridley ,Dixie ,Impa, Mewtwo and mach rider is in the game.So i don't see why we can't have dark pit.
You can't say that Sakurai couldn't create a unique moveset for Doctor Mario. I am 100% sure he could. However, I bet he didn't, and I also bet that he didn't for Dark Pit either. They are both in the roster right next to Lucina. If they were characters with original movesets I bet you they'd be up there with the other characters from their series, not separated like Lucina.

Then again, that whole positioning them differently is suspicious. Hopefully the characters you mention become a reality and when they are unlocked Lucina, Dark Pit, and Doctor Mario move up next to their series.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
You can't say that Sakurai couldn't create a unique moveset for Doctor Mario. I am 100% sure he could. However, I bet he didn't, and I also bet that he didn't for Dark Pit either. They are both in the roster right next to Lucina. If they were characters with original movesets I bet you they'd be up there with the other characters from their series, not separated like Lucina.

Then again, that whole positioning them differently is suspicious. Hopefully the characters you mention become a reality and when they are unlocked Lucina, Dark Pit, and Doctor Mario move up next to their series.
I hope that leak is true and that would more than likely move those characters up

PuffSmash

Smash Apprentice
1. Bowser Jr. 2/5 boring character I think. So many better ideas! Boo! Birdo! Waluigi! Toad!
2. Dr. Mario 1/5 it's ridiculous that he can't be added as a costume...
3. Shulk 3/5 don't know this game he doesn't look bad tho
4. Dark Pit 2/5 unless he plays a lot different I don't understand why he couldn't be a costume too
5. Duck Hunt Dog 5/5 he's a classic character and it's funny. I just home his final smash literally is you directing the gun at characters to shoot them like the ducks!
6. Wario 5/5
7. Mr. Game and Watch 5/5
8. Falco 4/5
9. Ness 5/5
10. Ganondorf 5/5
11. R.O.B. 4/5
12. Jigglypuff 10/5 :)

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
Overall, I'm thrilled with the new characters.

As a note, I'm really curious about the new clones. Unlike Melee, where clones were just slightly different from their source in their weight/speed/power, it seems like clones this time are going to have entirely new mechanics than the source character. Custom movesets and equipable stat items really do away with the need for small stat adjustments in clones. I'm sure you could pretty much make SSB4 Mario into Dr. Mario from Melee via a few item/move changes. So I'm guessing clones this time will work more like Lucina, where she lost Marth's tipper mechanic, something no custom move or item could adjust. But that leaves me to wonder what on earth they can change about Mario or Pit, who lack an obvious gimmick to alter. That is, unless Mario and Pit's old movesets make a return in their clones.
Bowser Jr. looks super creative. Originally I included him in a lot of my speculative rosters, but as the community's interest waned, I figured his chances were slim. I never imagined him using the Koopa Clown Car like in the leaked video. That's super clever, and lets him fit in the with the more gimmicky (in a good way) newcomers this time around.

Duck Hunt is exactly why I love Sakurai as the director of SSB. DHD is a character virtually no one expected, who will surely play in a fun, unique way. I played Duck Hunt as a kid, so I can't wait for that nostalgia bomb, though I'm waiting to see footage of him to decide if I'd like to use him frequently.

Dark Pit seems decent enough. He's obviously a direct clone of Pit, so he's really more of a bonus character anyway. Pit will probably be one of my many mains, so I'll definitely consider playing Pittoo. Though his inclusion does make me want Dark Samus playable more...

Shulk is my most-wanted newcomer after Robin, so I'm ecstatic he's in. Xenoblade is an amazing game, and Shulk is a great character, so he deserves it. I swear Sakurai designed the roster for me. I have Ike, Robin, Greninja, and Shulk, all of whom I'm itching to play. Shulk's playstyle does seem a little weird, though, what with him putting the Monado away after attacking. The different Monado Arts seem really cool, especially if like the text leak said they allow him to play risky or safe.

If this is the entire roster, I would be downright giddy. 51 characters with 17 newcomers is incredible.

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
"Should have been an alt.
Should have been an alt.
Should have been an alt."
Should'a could'a would'a.
I'm starting to think there's something wrong with me for being okay with Dark Pit.
Also I predicted Dr. Mario as soon as Lucina was announced so I'm not even mad.

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
"Should have been an alt.
Should have been an alt.
Should have been an alt."
Should'a could'a would'a.
I'm starting to think there's something wrong with me for being okay with Dark Pit.
Also I predicted Dr. Mario as soon as Lucina was announced so I'm not even mad.
There's nothing wrong with you. It's all a matter of opinion. There's no objective fact that states that Dark Pit and Doc can't be characters. And honestly, I'm okay with them too.

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
Bowser Jr. - Looks interesting enough. I'm kinda meh about him at the moment, but obviously I have yet to play as him.

Dr. Mario, Lucina, and Dark Pit - I'd rather the roster have +3 than not even if they are super clones. I highly disagree with the notion that "the absence of these three = my dream character in their place" like some seem to think.

Shulk - As long as the rest of his move set is more unique (he's lookin' like Link and Marth) then I'm all about him.

Duck Hunt Dog - EASILY my favorite of the leak! I can't wait to see what Sakurai and his team have come up with for his move set.

I expected all the veterans in this leak to return and I have no qualms. R.O.B. is the only one I'm neutral about, but I wanted all the others to return.

I'm very saddened by the absence of :popo:, :snake:, and:lucas:, but all-in-all I think this roster is fantastic. Including Miis we have 51 characters, which is 12 more than Brawl, and I think that's great! Plus, that's not even including the supposed extra unlockable characters. :chuckle:

Last edited:

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
1. Bowser Jr.

5/5 never cared for him but he seems unique. I welcome his presence over characters like Lucina.

2. Dr. Mario

0/5 he deserves alt costume status, not playable character status

3. Shulk

3/5 Meh

4. Dark Pit

0/5 i hate different versions of characters.... if he turns out to be a clone, then he should have just been a palette swap

5. Duck Hunt Dog

5/5 hes the most iconic a**hole in Nintendo history, you have no idea how glad i am he's here.

6. Wario

4/5 Hes okay but i never play him.

7. Mr. Game and Watch

5/5 His inclusion still confuses ppl and i like that

8. Falco

2/5 I would have preferred Wolf to stay.

9. Ness

5/5 Nothing satisfies me more than killing his up b recovery and watching him fall. I love beating Ness players.

10. Ganondorf

5/5 I liked him because he was easy to beat in Brawl.

11. R.O.B.

5/5 *See Mr. G&W

12. Jigglypuff

10,000,000/5 My ALL TIME FAVORITE! I would have freaked out if she were cut. She has a playstyle that revolves around being in the air rather than her special moves (rest is the only useful move). It would be a shame if we lost that. I didn't really support many new characters to be in Smash Wii U/3DS because the ones i liked such as Pauline and Tiny Kong were way too random and minor. I knew they wouldn't stand a chance in hell, which is why only Jiggs being in Smash 4 mattered to me. As long as Jigglypuff was in the game, it didn't matter who the newcomers were. Its the main reason why i'm not disappointed in the newcomers we got or the current roster at all. I don't care if Mewtwo, Ridley, or K Rool isn't in this game (never liked any of the three anyways, so overrated)

Smash will live on without them. I still find it funny how all Mewtwo fans doubted Jiggs would be back and continued to downplay her. You can't mess with Jiggs, sorry :smirk:

regarding the other cut characters (:squirtle::ivysaur::popo::wolf::lucas::snake:) we shall miss you :cry:

Last edited:

MooseSmuggler

NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Shulk - As long as the rest of his move set is more unique (he's lookin' like Link and Marth) then I'm all about him

:chuckle:
He has a d-air that slightly resembles Link's (honestly, the sword going in the same direction is the only similarity I see, it looks like his body is positioned differently) and an Up-B that looks like Marth's (which may also have drastically different properties). Meanwhile, he's the first character that uses stat-changing modes, has unique Smashes, and has a lot of stuff we haven't even seen. Wow, such clone, no unique, much Marth, very Link.

And don't get me started on "hurr durr the Down-B is a counter MARTH CLONE LOLOLOL". Greninja (who also has an Up-B that resembles someone else's [Pikachu]). Little Mac. Palutena. Your point? (This is a generic statement, not levied at you specifically)

Seriously, this is all I can say to people who think Shulk is bland and a clone:

tumblr_inline_n5njz03Shr1qb9yoj.gif

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
1. Bowser Jr. :Great, should have been in before Rosalina anyways 4/5
2. Dr. Mario: Awful, should have been a costume, a waste of time/space. 0/5
3. Shulk: Bleh, he hasnt earned his place upon nintendo all stars #marketplay 1/5
4. Dark Pit: Awful, should have been pit alt, a waste of time/space, further shows sakurais bias 0/5
5. Duck Hunt Dog: Great, he is a history piece 4/5
6. Wario: of course
7. Mr. Game and Watch yep
8. Falco uhuh
9. Ness super
10. Ganondorf falcon clone again is another sad fact
11. R.O.B. sure
12. Jigglypuff knew it

Cuts: (numbers are pain scale)
Ice Climbers: 5/5 These guys were so unique and a two time vet, they must come back or its a tragedy
Lucas: 3/5 Unique moveset lost but honestly Mother only needed Ness a rep.
Snake: 4/5 Unique moveset and opened the door for the other 3rd parties and is a gaming legend, hope he comes back dlc
Wolf: 9001/5 A childhood dream character for me, he is the main star fox antagonist/rival and it is a devastating loss to me even more so than mewtwo.
Mewtwo: 4500/5 This is the icon of Legendary Pokemon, its dumb he was gone from brawl and its dumb now.
Squirtle: 1/5 he didnt belong in smash tbh.
Ivysaur: 1/5 same for squirtle.
Pokemon Trainer: 5/5 love the concept, would love to see it better executed someday.

Last edited:

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
He has a d-air that slightly resembles Link's (honestly, the sword going in the same direction is the only similarity I see, it looks like his body is positioned differently) and an Up-B that looks like Marth's (which may also have drastically different properties). Meanwhile, he's the first character that uses stat-changing modes, has unique Smashes, and has a lot of stuff we haven't even seen. Wow, such clone, no unique, much Marth, very Link.

And don't get me started on "hurr durr the Down-B is a counter MARTH CLONE LOLOLOL". Greninja (who also has an Up-B that resembles someone else's [Pikachu]). Little Mac. Palutena. Your point?

Seriously, this is all I can say to people who think Shulk is bland and a clone:

View attachment 23131
Sorry man, I didn't mean to offend you or any other Shulk fans.

Like I said in the post you quoted, if he's unique then I'm all about him. There's no need for defensive hostility.

MooseSmuggler

NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Sorry man, I didn't mean to offend you or any other Shulk fans.

Like I said in the post you quoted, if he's unique then I'm all about him. There's no need for defensive hostility.
It was more of a generic statement than towards you specifically. Sorry if I sounded harsh.

3. Shulk: Bleh, he hasnt earned his place upon nintendo all stars #marketplay 1/5
Xenoblade Chronicles sold extremely well despite its limited release, he was one of Japan's most wanted, he's popular in the west, Xenoblade is becoming a franchise that will likely become popular. He's more than qualified. "But he's only been in one game": Robin, Lucina, Greninja.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
It was more of a generic statement than towards you specifically. Sorry if I sounded harsh.

Xenoblade Chronicles sold extremely well despite its limited release, he was one of Japan's most wanted, he's popular in the west, Xenoblade is becoming a franchise that will likely become popular. He's more than qualified. "But he's only been in one game": Robin, Lucina, Greninja.
All 3 of those you mentioned dont really have merit either, shulk and those 3 are all a marketing ploy, they got a free pass for having newer games and thats it, now maybe shulk would have earned merit in time but as it stand he is only super popular in japan and has only 1 game under is belt and his popularity hasnt been around that long to stand the test of time yet.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
1. Bowser Jr. - Probably the one of the few good things about this leak. I wasn't high on his chances after Rosalina was confirmed. Quite an interesting concept for Jr. I'm okay with him as a 6th Mario rep. 4/5
2. Dr. Mario - This is one of the main things I loathe about this leak. It makes more sense for him to be an alternate costume. A bad move in my opinion. 0/5
3. Shulk - Not gonna say much about Shulk. Don't know much about him. Just gonna wait and see. 3/5
4. Dark Pit - This seals the deal for Sakurai's bias toward Kid Icarus in this game. I'm perfectly fine with 2 KI reps, but three? No, just no. 1/5
5. The Duck Hunt Dog - I never expected a character like this. But not really a big fan of the dog, but he could grow on me I guess. 2/5
6. Wario - Never doubted about his return. Wish Wario was more portrayed on Wario Land/World than WarioWare. Hope his moveset is better, but I really doubt it. 3/5
7. Mr G&W - Very unique character. Obviously we knew he was back since Pac-Man's trailer. 5/5
8. Falco - Cool to have him back. Hopefully they treaked his moveset a little bit more.
9. Ness - What can I say? He is a staple of Smash and glad he is back once again. 5/5
10. Ganondorf - He returns once again... as Falcondorf again. You would have thought that he would have a more original moveset, but nope. Nice to have him back, but no changes to his moveset is extremely disappointing. 2/5
11. R.O.B. - A cool and unexpected character in Brawl. I think it's good to have him back. 4/5
12. Jigglypuff - Not a big fan of the Puff, but still cool to have her back. 3/5

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom