• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your opinions about the leaked characters? (SPOILERS INCOMING)

Is the roster great?

• YES!

Votes: 138 47.3%
  • NO!

Votes: 63 21.6%
  • Neutral.

Votes: 91 31.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hot Uncle Sparky

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4356-0645-2703
I'll try to keep this concise and focus more on the positive.

Bowser Jr. - I hate him, but still he's a pretty logical inclusion, I'm hoping that Koopaling skins rumor is true. 5/10

Dr. Mario - Even though I like him better then regular Mario, I'm a little uncomfortable with him getting in over Mewtwo or better yet Ice Climbers, I suppose this was simply because he was easy to do. 4/10

Shulk - Another animu fighter? please. He doesn't look fun to play as, so I'll look the other way. 1/10

Dork Pit - Easily the worst thing this roster has to offer, we have some annoying creator's pet and now a 30 year old archetype, yeah I am SOOOO convinced to get KI:U now :glare:. He better NOT have a unique moveset, because not only would he be a waste of thought, but also time and resources that could have gone into someone better. 0/10

Duck Hunt Dog - A good choice for a retro rep I guess, the only thing I look forward to is laughing at people online when they don't make it back onto the stage, especially if I'm up against an old timer. 5/10

Wario - It's about time someone brings sexy to the game, here's hoping he has some more Wario Land related moves. 7/10

Mr G&W - As long as the insipid beeping is gone, I'm cool with him. 7/10

Falco - Love him and glad he's back... sort of. If given the choice, I'd take Wolf instead however. I hope Falco at least gets reworked some. 5/10

Ness - Never had any interest in him, but hey O12 POWAH! 5/10

Ganondorf - Perhaps one of my least favorite villains, but darn he plays good in Melee. I hope he is improved, he was just horrible in Brawl. 5/10

R.O.B. - I'm in the minority when I say he was the best retro decision the series had. HE'S A MILESTONE IN NINTENDO'S HISTORY, Smash is the perfect Hall of Fame for him! However, there is plenty of room for improvement on his part such as his final smash. 9/10

Jigglypuff - Jigglypuff, a perfect attendee and a simple yet silly fighter, is my all time main. Being absent would have been grounds for not getting the game. The best part of this is rubbing it in the detractors' faces on 4chan. However, I expect her to do far better than her shameful display in Brawl, a simple buffing would be all it really takes. 9/10

Last edited:

The Animator

Smash Journeyman
I will refrain from commenting on the roster photo until more substantial evidence is shown. No point in getting all bent out of shape before its actually confirmed. I will comment on the two characters show in the leak video because nintendo pulling them down definitely gives them credibility. And if they are fake someone went through way to much work for a joke.
Anyway,

Bowser Jr. I am ok with, though the reason I personally wanted him playable was because I was hoping for a faster Bowser with some range/projectile attacks. The Koopa Clown Copter is unique, however it would have been better as an item instead of a continuous mode of battle. I hope the Koopalings rumor is true.

Shulk is just another androgynous anime character with a sword. Smash bros strength has always been its diversity, thats what separates it from other fighting games. Since we already have Link, Link 2, Pit, Marth, buff Marth, female Marth and Harry/Hermione it really makes him unnecessary.

Still waiting on that King K. Rool reveal trailer!

TempahRelapse

Smash Journeyman
Really like Duck Hunt Dogs inclusion, same with Shulk. I now picture Sakurai in this upcoming direct screaming "F**** you all", whilst showing us the finger. Then ruining the fun for everyone, by revealing the whole roster.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
bowser jr:i wish if he used his paintbrush
shulk:i know he will be in SSB4
dr. mario:NO NO NO NO JUST NO!!!
dark pit:WHY JUST WHY?
duck hunt dog:ok he looks good but i wanted mach rider to be the next retro charcer >:(
:wolf::MY 2ND MAIN IS GONE:crying:
:popo::WHY SAKURAI DID CUT THEM HE ALREADY PUT POLAR BEAR IN SMASH RUN!!!
:snake::i am happy that he was cut:rotfl:
:lucas::i really feel sad about earhbound fans :(

Last edited:

MechaWave

Smash Champion
It's so nice to have low expectations so I can enjoy the game to its fullest and judge it based on the actual gameplay. I suppose I'll post my opinions since that's what you do on a message board.

Bowser Jr.: I didn't expect him, especially since I got Rosalina, but it's nice to see him. His moveset looks creative and silly. 4/5

Dr. Mario: I'm in the minority because I don't mind clones. They are normally a last-minute decision and don't take much development time so they do no harm, people just think they ruin potential slots. As for the Doc himself, he's cool. I hope he has the Tornado back. 3/5

Shulk: I have not played Xenoblade, unfortunately. I have it, I know it's a good game, I just haven't found the time. His moveset is a mystery atm, the Arts switches are nice so far. Need to see more. 3/5

Dark Pit: I honestly don't care. Whether he's a straight-up clone or completely unique, he is an uninteresting palette swap. I didn't think Sakurai was biased but I believe he is now, and not even to the series he created (Kirby). I'm neutral, but the character itself is unoriginal. 2/5

Duck Hunt Dog: I don't care about this thing either. He's iconic but there is no footage of him, as in, no gameplay. I need to see gameplay, friends. idk/5

Wario: Lel le farting jew xDDDD 4/5

Mr. Game & Watch: ^__________^ 4/5

Falco: Good, I actually hated Wolf's playstyle in Brawl. 4/5

Ness: I'll miss Lucas if he's truly gone, but we have little Ness. 5/5

Ganondorf: Also in the minority for this one, but idc that he's Falcondorf again. I'd only hate him if he's complete dog **** like in Brawl, he was so satisfying to use in Melee. I don't think he'd be interesting even if he did use swords, he should use wizard magic or something, if he needed a new moveset (could still be incorporated with falcondorf anyway). 4/5

ROB: A character I couldn't care if he was gone or was a veteran. He's iconic but at the same time just a ****ing toy. 2/5

Jigglypuff: I'll be a little biased but I'm happy she's back. Most didn't want her back and all this negative energy with roster crap didn't help my worries about poor Jiggly. Haters need not apply and can kindly **** off... unless she's **** again, then I take back everything I just said. :^) 5/5

About the cuts: It's a shame but we all knew it was coming, Sakurai is just too damn lazy to actually bring back all the veterans.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
To me, it's fake until officially confirmed. (No I don't count the video as official. I do 3D animating myself. It's not that hard to replicate if given enough time.) While I would look forward to characters like Shulk, Bowser Jr, and Duck Hunt Dog... Dr. Mario and Dark Pit are just unforgivable.

Quite a lot of people believe that it is fake anyways. Here's a post from Chuggaconroy:

Well this is awkward...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Eh I don't really have that much of an opinion on any of these characters as I didn't really support any of them. But I'm cool with them I guess. As for Dr Mario and Dark Pit. Sakurai has some pretty strict "rules" when it comes to which characters would become alts and which ones would become their own separate characters. Even if they have the slightest change in properties, moves, height, whatever etc. It could alter their battle records depending on which of the two you would choose. For example, contrary to popular belief, the difference between the Fireballs and Pill's is more than just a mere easthetic difference. The Fireballs naturally have the fire effect which can instantly blow up Blast Boxes, having no effect on Red Pikmin, thawing frozen characters and increase the size and strength of the Hot Head item. The Pills don't have this effect as they don't have the fire properties. Then there is also the thunder hand that has electrical properties which work differently from Mario's fire hand as well. It's these small things that causes the team to have these characters become their own separate characters rather than alternate costumes as Sakurai explained when discussing Lucina's inclusion.

Likewise with characters such as Link and Toon Link. Vastly different proportions and size which causes quite a lot of changes in terms of their hitboxes and certain animations (eg the kicks being replaced by additional sword slashes for Toon Link etc)

Hope that explains why the team chose to have characters such as Doc and Lucina as separate characters rather than simply as alternate costumes. Besides they where more than likely just last minute bonus additions anyway so it's not like they "stole a place" from a "more deserving" character or anything.... But ah well. Just my two cents on that matter.

UnicornDemon

Smash Journeyman
My opinion on the 8 cut characters:

1. Roy- Happy to see him gone
  2. Wolf- I wish he replaced Falco since he was actually different from Fox, but oh well. I'll live.
  3. Lucas- My brother will miss him (he mained him in Brawl), but I always thought he was too similar to Ness. I don't miss him, and I don't want him back unless he's significantly different (particularly his specials).
  4. Ice Climbers- I appreciate the unique attribute of having a duo character, but I never had much fun playing as them and it'd be nice to see other retros get a chance like ExciteBiker, Balloon Fighter, or Duck Hunt Dog (who probably is replacing Ice Climbers).
  5. Snake- cool moveset, but no importance to Nintendo. I prefer him cut
  6. Squirtle- not important, too much Pokemon, Bye!
  7. Ivysaur- Bulbasaur is my third favorite Pokemon of all time. I like Ivsaur, and I honestly would be pretty pissed if we got Greninja and Charizard but no grass starter, but I would understand if he was cut.
  8. Mewtwo- I would love this character back IF he came with a completely new moveset that better utilized and emphasized his pyshichc abilities. His Melee moveset was clumsy and dull.

Last edited:

chronomantic

Smash Ace
So I'd probably be saying stuff people have really expressed already a thousand times but I guess this is the place to vent.

I really loathe Dark Pit and Dr Mario. The first is such an unimaginative, lazy and unnecessary addition, a damn literal clone of an already annoying character. I know a big reason for inclusion is gameplay and granted we still don't know his moveset but he looks better as an Alt.
I don't even know where to start with Dr Mario. Such an irrelevant low-requested (maybe two or three of his fans were happy he got in) waste of space. Why having Mario in a damn doctor outfit is necessary in this life? I though Sakurai was going to move away from adding clones and now we have him, so annoying. I'd rather have Pichu, at least he's his own character. Hate clones in general, and to the people saying 'don't complain about clones, more is better' well no quality has to be above quantity always. Sakurai is indeed hard to predict.

Other than those aberrations I'm happy with the rest of the characters! this is the best roster we have had.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
My only complaint on this roster is Doctor Mario. Really? DOCTOR MARIO?!? Why the **** do we need two characters of the EXACT same person when Pichu and Roy are far better ideas?

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
If "yes and no" was an option in your poll, I would of selected that. But I selected neutral instead. :ohwell: Again, the roster's half good and half disappointing.

My only complaint on this roster is Doctor Mario. Really? DOCTOR MARIO?!? Why the **** do we need two characters of the EXACT same person when Pichu and Roy are far better ideas?
I agree with you 100%. Why is Dr. Mario returning?? Sure, it'll bring back the Melee Days, but still.

Master Of Blades

Smash Apprentice
The bottom of Mariana's trench. Come visit!
3DS FC
2123-0105-9733
Samus takes two two slots. Link takes up two slots. Zelda technically takes up two slots. If these characters can take up two slots, why can't THE FACE OF FREAKING NINTENDO take up two slots?!

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Samus takes two two slots. Link takes up two slots. Zelda technically takes up two slots. If these characters can take up two slots, why can't THE FACE OF FREAKING NINTENDO take up two slots?!
Except the problem is with this is Samus/Zamus and Zelda/Sheik each have unique movesets. What did Mario and Doc have? Same. Exact. Moveset.

Non-cloned Mario character please

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I'm going to copypaste my response from the "Your Opinion on the Characters in the New Leak?" thread in the Smash 4 Leaks group. I'm only going to do a brief addendum for Shulk.

I'm at least relieved that Bowser Jr. and Shulk were the characters in the CSS leak that have video evidence because they have unique movesets. Ganondorf's always welcome, but I'm disappointed he's a clone again.

Bowser Jr.

A "meh" addition for me. He will probably be a fun, quirky character once we have the full picture of him. The way we see him play makes me think he'll be the Tron Boone of Smash Bros. Maybe minus Servbots. The Ninka/Vannrose leak also mentions that the Koopalings are his alt costumes. I don't care so much about this one a technical standpoint on how this is implemented. But the representation gives the Mario series up to 14 FREAKIN' CHARACTERS! Holy strumboli! Might as well consider the rest all clones, assuming they have their own art, animations, announcer call names, trophies (Larry in the Klown Kar was seen as a trophy in one image), etc. One nitpick is that the Klown Kar looks awkward, essentially having the same properties as a body bound by gravity (Bowser Jr. stays within Klown Kar upon knockback and falling, doesn't levitate off the ground, etc.)

Shulk

Definitely the best choice given by far. I wasn't the most avid supporter of him, but I knew many people wanted him and has a lot of variance on the swordplay concept. Not to mention being propelled by Gematsu for some time. All aboard the Xenoblade train! Choo choo!

Addendum: Welp, he was confirmed along with the leak render. The leak is now 100% undeniably real! Anyways, I'm glad to see Xenoblade Chronicles getting some love in SSB4. Shulk is the most fitting frontrunner character for that, of course. However, given what we've seen in the trailer, his moveset doesn't get me super excited. I'm not really to keen on status characters and the way they pulled off the Monado's Vision ability into a counter doesn't look super dynamic. Hopefully customizations will flesh this out more. It's not like I'll never use the guy. But he's certainly not main material.

Duck Hunt

No, it can't be just the Duck Hunt Dog (Gods, that name has such a bad, unimaginative ring to it!) I'm not very excited by their edition. This should change once we see them in action. They're a tough pill to swallow; I'll probably warm up to them in time. They'll turn out unique for sure. Not to mention the inevitable piss-off taunt perpetrated by that cur! That's a Zapper to the face for ya!

Dr. Mario

What the ****!? Out of all characters from Melee, Dr. Mario is considered. And indicated to be a clone nonetheless!? Poppycock! Absolutely one of the laziest editions by far, especially for something as prolithic as returning Melee characters. He would be more logical as a Mario alt costume. Although, I do have some light peering through from his inclusion. It's been heavily implied that the leak doesn't show the final roster, so Mewtwo is a very strong possibility to round off the Melee returns. I mean, Pokémon is severely outnumbered by Mario characters here. Also, there's a chance he isn't a clone after all and there's something botched about Dr. Mario/Dark Pit/Lucina's placement on the CSS provided. That is the best case scenario and no amount of debugging or time constraint bull**** will alleviate that.

Dark Pit

Please. Don't. ****ing. Be. A. Clone! This one has so much unused potential it hurts, especially given the fact that he's implied to be a clone! Honestly, seeing the rest of the weapon classes from Kid Icarus: Uprising is the only reason why I support him. I mean, he has his own freaking staff for Palutena's sake! Not to mention he has artwork of him using Tiger Claws and wields some of the weapons in their Idols. Besides, I can see why Sakurai would be biased to him, Palutena trailer notwithstanding. His role in Kid Icarus: Uprising was pretty important for substituting Pit's absence in the game events for a time. What started out as a recolor from Brawl ascended to something greater. Sakurai MUST capitalize on that. Also, how are we going to take care of his recolors and possibly alt costumes? I think we need to see some visual touch-ups that reflect how he's the "dark" side of Pit. I don't care if it's non-canon! Smash is guilty of this in droves. Have his wings and robes be tattered along the edges with some bald patches in his wing feathers. The anime canines from the Palutena trailer must carry over as well. Gives him a much more feral look.

Overall, if this is the final roster, then it will prove to be just as disappointing as that of previous Smash entries. Sakurai was preaching uniqueness and upgrading or redesigning veterans since announcement. I have no idea how quick they could've made this game go into beta. But given the amount of resources, dev time, and staff on board for this project, I hope used their time to make each character reflect those qualities and not just drop some half-***** last minute additions because, "NUH NO DELEHS CUZ 2014 YO!"

Last edited:

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
In my opinion the overall roster is pretty great however I'll miss a few cuts and those are: Ice Climbers, Lucas and Wolf in specific order, it makes me sad they went because they were great additions and far from clones like most people say. The only returning veteran I dislike quite a bit is Doc, he's meh to be honest.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Oh, I forgot to give my current stance on the leaked roster:

So far, I don't like what I'm seeing at all. However, this is given that there's a highly likely chance not all characters were shown off in it. There are some things that just feel "missing" for it to feel like a complete Smash roster to me. There should be at least one more Melee vet to round off Dr. Mario, preferably Mewtwo. Speaking of which, Pokémon is trumped in comparison to Mario, especially when there's at least 2 characters reasonable to be included.

Also, I'm dubious to the Dr. Mario/Dark Pit/Lucina placement and the fact they aren't with their respective franchises furthers the theory that this isn't the final roster. Toon Link, Ganondorf, and possibly Falco are still (semi-)clones and they're in their own franchises. If anything, this makes me think Dark Pit will at least be a semi-clone and Dr. Mario will have a couple moveset adjustments (he's practically a semi-clone with his Melee moveset at this point.)

Last edited:

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
Duck Hunt Dog : 7/10. I didn't exactly want him, mainly because I thought he would never make it, owever he is nowher near the top of my list of wanted characters.

Bowser Jr : 2/10. This annoying runt instead of Toad ? I truly truly hope the Koopalings are in, because then I would actually use the character. Otherwise no thank you.

Shulk : 5/10. Shulk was a bit boring to me in Xenoblade Chronicles. I much preferred Riki, Sharla, Seven, Melia and Reyn over him, however I don't dislike him either. It's noce to see some Xenoblade representation.

Dark Pit : 0/10. I have nausea just thinking about this character.

Doctor Mario : 3/10. I was a bit sad he was cut in Brawl, but with the alts being a thing, I don't see how they couldn't have changed his effects a la Project M. So to me it wasn't necessary to have him as a clone.

Jigglypuff : 10/10. Love her since SSB64, and I'm glad she's still in and not cut because she's not relevant, as the detractors would say.

Falco : 5/10 : I don't like the character that much, but at least I can beat him up like in Melee and Brawl. :p

Ganondorf : 4/10. Again, I don't like the character and I hate his TP design.

Ness : 10/10. Like Jigglypuff.

Wario : 10/10. I love this character as well but it's not like he was going to get cut. I want more Wario Land / World / Whatever representation, not just Wario Ware.

G&W : 10/10. Always loved him.

ROB : 5/10. I don't care for the character and I honestly didn't like how he played in Brawl.

Ice Climbers getting cut SUCKS though.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
1. Bowser Jr.
2. Dr. Mario
3. Shulk
4. Dark Pit
5. Duck Hunt Dog
6. Wario
7. Mr. Game and Watch
8. Falco
9. Ness
10. Ganondorf
11. R.O.B.
12. Jigglypuff

1. 7/10
It was one of my most wanted in Brawl (because of the paintbrush from Sunshine), but it become just a slighty wanted character at the bottom of my list in Smash 4 (because I started supporting a more deserving paintbrush-user character that unfortunately has very low chances, even lower when Splatoon will come out). Anyway, it looks fun to use, and the fact that he doesn't use the paintbrush but the koopa clown car instead, is a surprisingly good idea. The best part of this character is the fact that you can swap him with the koopalings: the koopalings are far more important than Bowser Jr in the Mario franchise, they are classic characters and very recurring, but they are too many; this is a clever idea for making them playable. Though, there is still something that bugs me abut this character. The fact that the koopa kart slides and bounces on the ground instead of floating. It looks really awkward, like some of those Brawl mods, where people swap models of floating characters with MetaKnight or Kirby (02, Majora's Moon, etc).
Anyway, this is the only newcomer that I like from the actual roster, along with Pacman.

2. 5/10
I wanted him, because I like him, but I don't want clones, so I wanted him as a costume of Mario (and Luigi).
As a separate playable character, it's a waste of character, even if they have completely remade his moveset and he is not a clone anymore. Because it's still Mario, there are many other characters and series who aren't represented yet, adding multiple versions of already well represented characters, is a slap in the face to the fans of the other franchises.

3. 3/10
Here we go. The new Snake, but this time it's first party.
I think that this character looks like a generic MMORPG guy, and his game does not feel like a Nintendo game at all. It's first party, all right, but I'd have waited another gen and a couple of sequels before making him part of the roster (I'd have put him as assist for now). He is not iconic to Nintendo enough yet, and to people who don't know what Xenoblade is, it may look like someone from a modern Final Fantasy, so Playstation All-Stars material. Moveset wise, he is a clone of Marth with the customization feature integrated into the gameplay in real time (changing the monado mode will change the speed/power values of his moves). I think the real time customization thing is a good idea, and maybe that's enough to make him different from Marth, but this game has too many swordmen and many of them are generic, Shulk was not needed. I'd rather have Isaac instead.

4. 0/10
A palette swap of Pit wasting development time and space in the character select screen. I don't care if he has an unique moveset, he is just a Dark version of an already represented character. Dark Link and Dark Samus were better choices and more iconic than Dark Pit. He is the Shadow the Hedgehog of Nintendo, except that Shadow at least looks slighty different than Sonic, while Dark Pit is identical to Pit, and shares even the same name, with "Dark" as the only thing that makes it different.

5. 4/10
A dog who laughs in the background and catches dead bodies of duks.
It feels like a forced characters, and I have enough of the nes nostalgia. It's not just a character related thing. Look at how stages like the Fountain of Dreams and Yoshi's Island were reinvented and redesigned in 3D back in Melee. Today, whe are getting stages like Pacman Maze, Balloon Fighters and the Gameboy stage, where the old games are referenced with the exact same 8bit graphics that they had in the original game. That's lazy, bad, unoriginal, bland and 8bit is just a temporary trend that will get old in a couple of years, making those stages looking even worse.
Back on the dog, the new design (from the render) looks even more generic than the one in that old trophy, and really doesn't resemble the dog on NES. It looks like a forced character and nothing more, let's see how the gameplay will be.

6. 7/10
Nice, Wario is back. I'm a fan of wario, but there is a problem. Wario's fart is the problem. I'm a fan of the old Wario, the one from the Warioland series, the one who uses his muscles and his head to destroy walls and to generate heartquakes. Not the clown who is a mascotte of some 5 seconds casual minigames and who farts and burps to make childs laugh.
I hope that his moveset is completely modified to match more his iconic gameplay of the Warioland series, but I fear that it will still be Wario Ware based, and this sucks.
Anyway, the proportion of his head in the new model looks slighty different from the Brawl one, and it resembles a little bit more his Warioland 1 design; that's positive to me, and it's pretty obvious that we are going to have his classic costume back.

7. 8/10
Nice comeback. Not one of my favorite characters, but still welcome.

8. 3/10
Clones are back. Veterans or newcomers, clones are clones, and they are boring/annoying. Unless they changed his gameplay making him different from Fox, I dislike this character being included again. Wolf was slighty different (was just a semiclone, not a full clone) and it's probably cut, and that's bad. I'd rather have Falco cut and Wolf back. Falco is a supporting character, while Wolf is the bad guy of the series (well, aside from Andross who can't be playable for obvious reasons), and that's a more important role to me. Once again, a bad character included just for Melee nostalgia (Melee is my favorite Smash, it's not that the problem), and it has been included over Mewtwo (another Melee veteran) and Krystal (unique characters from Starfox who should have replaced the clone).

9. 8/10
The same as Game & Watch (7.).

10. 5/10
Still a clone. I wanted Ganon (the blue pig) a lot, and if you think about it, the classic Ganon is more important than Ganondorf in the Zelda franchise, it appeared more often and it's more iconic. Ganondorf is still Ganon, but it's mostly a reference of Ocarina of Time, a single game. Ganondorf is still important, so I think that they should have added both as separate characters, like Zelda and Sheik. Unfortunatelly, it's most likely that Ganon will still be Ganondorf's final smash and it will probably be that bland generic realistic gray werepig from Twilight Princess.

11. 8/10
The same as Game & Watch (7.).

12. 4/10
Really, Jigglypuff.
I never liked how umbalanced this character was, and I hoped that he would not be back this time. It's a semiclone of Kirby, and his unique moves are unbalanced kill or die moves. Just a bad character who isn't even iconic enough, it doesn't even deserve to be in the roster, not more than Mewtwo, Meow or any other legendary Pokèmon. I honestly wanted Jigglypuff replaced by Meloetta (at least she was unique, and she's still a singer pokèmon), but she's in a pokèball unfortunatelly.

Overall, one of the worst roster possible to me.
The best thing is that most of the veterans are back, but on the other hand, I'm a bit sad for the possible exclusion of the Ice Climbers.
Sakurai disappointed me once again with this roster, even more than in Brawl (at least Brawl featured some cool newcomers like Dedede, Metaknight, Pit and Sonic).

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Duck Hunt: Why would one of the most iconic faces of games for mocking the player look so... Disney? He looks like he was ripped out of Fox & The Hound, far too... cheery, the ducks being alive? Him just being called "Duck Hunt"? It's just kinda odd... his one saving grace is if he is unofficially Banjo & Kazooie.

Dark Pit: Has the potential to be an anti-clone, using Staffs, Clubs, Cannons, Palms, and a further stretch of Claws to make him truly unique from Pit. An Anti-clone. Similar look, completely different moves.

:drmario:: No. He really should have been kept as the poster child for alt costumes. He was the one Melee clone to not directly (:ganondorf::falco:), indirectly (:younglinkmelee:->:toonlink:), or was planned to be in Brawl (:roypm:) excluding the objectively worst character on the roster (:pichumelee:). It just seems really odd for him to suddenly appear in the final roster in my opinion.

I am deeply upset at the lost of one truly unique character :popo:, a POPULAR semi-clone :lucas:and a quasi-clone :wolf: being lost with such a lack of fanfare. :squirtle::ivysaur: were all-but deconfirmed back when :4charizard: was revealed solo and :snake: just became less and less likely over the months until he just faded away to most. The other three... there's no real reason for them to be cut. As stated, only Doc and Pichu weren't planned to appear in Brawl and Roy, alongside Mewtwo at least got spiritual replacements with :4myfriends::4lucina: and :4lucario: respectively. In fact, some can argue that the versatile projectile-heavy playstyle of Snake got moved to :4megaman: and Mii Gunner in bits and pieces. Those three... just kinda got lost. While :rosalina: is also a puppet character, Luma is an entirely different monster than Nana and their real playstyle isn't shared just because they have a similar gimmick. One can try to argue about special changes for Lucas and Wolf, but that won't be the case for all the Smashes, tilts, and aerials lost.

ObsidianFH

Smash Rookie
There's a lot of salt and disappointment in this thread. It's interesting that although the poll reflects otherwise, the contents of this thread reflect overall negativity about the newcomers, with an incredible change in tone with regards to the included veterans. I believe this roster is true, and because of that I'll comment on these characters starting with a "you get what you get" attittude and work my way up, since I like to be optimistic.

Bowser Jr: A lot of people seem to dislike his character, which perplexes me. I thought he was very well developed in Sunshine, and although Nintendo has slowly removed his paintbrush, I still feel that he's been well represented in the games that he's shown up in. The Koopa Klown Kar is a very interesting choice, and it opens a lot of avenues to explore wonky ground-based physics, potentially making room for more tech. At the very least, he deserves attention from the technical standpoint.

The Koopalings also hold a lot of nostalgia for me, having played SMB3 and SMW perhaps too often when I was a kid. I don't agree with their inclusion, however, simply because those who do not like them are forced to use the default costume.

Dr. Mario: Is Mario + Coat. However, I believe Doc is back purely because of the demand for Mario's old Down+B to return. I feel like fans who are disappointed with him might end up changing their opinions of him in the future.

Shulk: He's been confirmed now, and holy hell is he a great unique character. The stance changing paradigm is something that's never been seen before in smash bros, so it's a welcome inclusion in my book.

Dark Pit: I like Dark Pit a lot, but previously I accepted him being the game as nothing but a pipe dream. Now, I don't know what to think, as I understand that Sakurai has shown considerable bias towards Kid Icarus this time around. It's not enough to call SSB3ds Kid Icarus Uprising 2, like some people are crying about, but it's bias nonetheless. However, I've never been disappointed with Sakurai's calls before, so I'm simply going to wait and see if he's a carbon copy or if he has his own tricks.

To those of you who bash him without having played the game, it's one of the best titles on 3DS. Play it.

Duck Hunt Dog: This guy's nothing but untapped potential. He's earned a place in many older gamer's hearts with his cheeky laugh and annoying presence. I feel like he's one of the most iconic retro characters out there. (Before Wii Sports came out, NES Super Mario Bros. sold the most copies of any game in history - and Duck Hunt was bundled with it.)

Basically, I'm optimistic about the roster. I'm not going to cry about clones, because there's nothing I can do to change it now, after the fact. I'm not going to moan about how X character got cut, because in the end this is a new game, and I'm going to be looking forward, not backwards.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I now know how Mewtwo and Roy fans feel...
:cry: I've been such a fool!

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Bowser Jr.: Great choice. I've always wanted him to be playable, but thought he didn't have much of a chance after Rosie. Not sure how I feel about him being in the KCC all the time, though.
Dr. Mario: Should've been nothing but an alt.
Shulk: I really didn't care about Shulk prior to his reveal, but I'm warming up to him.
Dark Pit: See Dr. Mario. Though unlike some people, the "too much Kid Icarus" aspect doesn't really bother me, as I supported Medusa.
Duck Hunt Dog:
I would've preferred Takamaru as the retro rep, but seeing as he was deconfirmed, DHD might be next best choice. I'm really interested in seeing how he plays. He's definitely a video game icon.

Mr_Anderson

Smash Cadet
Outside of Shulk, I hate the rest of the newcomers in the leak. That may seem a bit extreme, but I just do not like any of the choices in the slightest. I loathe Bowser Jr. as a character (he's just an annoying little s***), and I personally think that DHD is a bad choice for a retro rep. And not to mention the awful choices of Dark Pit and Doctor Mario. I hear the "last-minute clone" argument thrown around, but why couldn't those "last-minute clones" have been Wolf and Lucas instead. And clearly, Dark Pit has been planned for a while, since he appeared in Palutena's trailer, and that surely must have taken some time to make. And on top of all this, Ice Climbers and Snake were most likely cut. Overall, I'm pretty disappointed in the rest of the roster. The only saving grace for me personally out of that leak was Shulk. It's funny, because before this, I've liked almost every single newcomer revealed, so I had my hopes up for what was left. This is fairly underwhelming.

However, if you did want Bowser Jr, DHD, or Dark Pit, congrats guys. Not trying to personally attack you all, I just wanted to voice my opinion.

The Animator

Smash Journeyman
Duck Hunt: Why would one of the most iconic faces of games for mocking the player look so... Disney? He looks like he was ripped out of Fox & The Hound, far too... cheery, the ducks being alive? Him just being called "Duck Hunt"? It's just kinda odd... his one saving grace is if he is unofficially Banjo & Kazooie.
Agreed, If he truly is in the game the best case scenario for me is him being a Banjo & Kazooie knockoff, worst case scenario he is probably a Rosalina & Luma semi clone.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Bowser Jr. - One of my most wanted characters. I'm even more hyped for the fact that he will be a mech character, which is something else I wanted in Smash for a while!

Duck Hunt Dog - Another one of my most wanted characters. I really iconic retro character, that would bring something completely new to the table.

Dr. Mario & Dark Pit - I'm completely fine with these guys. Like Lucina, they were obviously originally costumes that were bumped up to full slots later on, probably because Sakurai had some time left in development and wanted to beef up the roster.

All the other veterans - They all deserve to be in. Nobody I have an issue with here.

The Cuts - Eh. They make the most sense out of all the other characters to be cut. Lucas was a clone. Snake had no real connections with Nintendo. Wolf was a semi-clone. And Ice Climbrs had technical difficulties (nothing you can do about that). All of these cuts seem justified, and I'm glad Sakurai didn't cut a completely unique character like he did with Mewtwo in Brawl.

Really, the only other things I could ask for are the Hype Three, and maybe a Zelda Newcomer or Chorus Men.
But I'm pretty sure they will be playable in Smash 4 at some point, wether they be the Hidden 5, characters on the Wii U Disc but DLC for 3DS, or even just DLC later on.

Marxally

Smash Apprentice
Well, here is my opinion...

1. He will be funny to play with :D!
2. Is nice to see him back, he was my main in Melee, and yeah, I know he is a clone, but I really like him!
3. I have never played Xenoblade, kill me.
4. Well, a clone from Pid, i suppose, I wish he have a minor changes.
5. For sure he will be funny and he will have a nice mechanics.
6. We knew he was going to comeback.
7. My favourite character, and like Wario, he have to comeback every game.
8. Like Wario and Mr.G&W.
9. Same.
10. The main villian of Zelda, pls, he MUST stay in.
11. All the "retro" characters will keep in the game, of course, Nintendo love them cause is his story.
12. He has been in the all games, but I dunno why him and no another Pokémon :S

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
My thoughts (here assuming this roster is final):

Newcomers:
Shulk - Wasn't that much of a fan before the trailer, now he easily looks to be my favorite swordsman in the game. The mode swapping seems like it'll be a ton of fun to play around with mid-match.
Bowser Jr. - Again, not at all a fan prior to the leak; the paintbrush idea seemed lackluster and I figured he'd more than likely end up being a smaller Bowser clone or such. What we got instead is ten times better, or highly amusing at the least.
Duck Hunt - Never would've seen this coming. I'm excited (or at least intrigued), and I'm eagerly awaiting to spam those taunts.

Veterans:
Wario - Kind of shocking he's unlockable (not that much). I'm totally fine if we get the same moveset, it was super fun to use (though I'm hoping for a better down-smash at the least).
Mr. Game & Watch - Was always really fun to play, looking forward to seeing what his custom specials are.
Ganondorf - *Shields* I'm actually ecstatic that he's apparently retaining his Brawl moveset. I've played too many all-Ganondorf / all-Captain Falcon matches to part with it.
Falco - Meh. I never liked the spacies, so I'm pretty ambivalent on this one.
Jigglypuff - Ech. The one veteran among all others I would've rather stay gone. Series "slots" or no, Mewtwo, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and/or another newcomer all deserved to get in more, IMO.
R.O.B. - Was reasonably fun to play in Brawl; no qualms about his inclusion, but not terribly exciting.
Ness - It enrages me that it took until this leak came to see him at all (and I'm not sure what to think of the new render). Obviously I'm super excited he's returning, but that shouldn't have been in any doubt, and I'm really fed up with waiting to see how he looks and plays.
Brawl Cuts - All pretty understandable (with the exception of IC's; 'technical issues' or not, it surprised me). Series bias aside, they were all reasonably expendable.

Clone section (since those exist):
Dr. Mario - Welp, never would've expected this guy to return. I admittedly can't justify his returning over non-clones, but I don't think that's a valid comparison anyway. I'm personally ridiculously hyped; he could easily be my Smash 4 main. Just don't give him a FLUDD move...
Dark Pit - Meh. I guess he rounds out the clone section, so I'm not too miffed by his inclusion. I'd honestly have rather seen Pichu return (with some reworks), though.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I'm mostly down/used to the newcomers at this point (Don't love DHD still but we'll see if that changes. Just might ignore him like I do w/ G&W).

I really wish that they'd just confirmed Pittoo in Palutena's trailer. It could've been a Lucina-type deal and it would have been just fine.

Yetiplays

Smash Cadet
Bowser Jr. : Cool, Awesome actually and If the Koopalings are his Alts, I'll be Maining Luddy.
Dark Pit : I was Kinda Hoping This was the Case, I mean Its disappointing He's a Clone, But I'll be playing him a Hellofa lot more than Pit
Duck Hunt : This ****** Right Here, I can't wait to kick your ass! Your also a pretty Good replacement for :popo:

The Fact that there are 5 spots left on the roster makes it even better too, Because... RIDLEY! and :150:

Also:wolf:You will be missed unless your up there with Our Purple Dragon Friend, and Mewtwo in the Final Five.
Also Bye :lucas: It was fun but I doubt you'll be back, So have a nice life in Project M.

chronomantic

Smash Ace
Duck Hunt: Why would one of the most iconic faces of games for mocking the player look so... Disney?
right? not only that he looks like he's best friends with the duck...I mean c'mon :rolleyes:
although maybe his gameplay will surprise us regarding their dynamic. Either way it should be interesting.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Bowser jr/kooplings

That was awsome im so glad hes in i gave up hope when i saw rosalina and for a bonus the kooplings as well. And from the moves i seen in the leak video 8/10

Duck hunt dog

YES FINALLY ANOTHER RETRO REP AND ONE THAT I CAN GET REVENGE ON 9/10

Dark pit

That does not make sense its just a mirror version of pit 1/10

:rob:

Yes sir my main survived and no suprise as well and heres a message for those ROB is going to be kicked users

James and richard (2 guys looking at the paper) = People who thought ROB is going to be kicked

Jeremy (happy guy) = me and everyone who knew ROB would be coming back

10/10

:wario:
Yes mario second rival is back no surprise though

:gw:
I love this guy he was my favorite wtf character ever added (no surprise though the pac-man trailer pretty much confirmed him.)

9/10

:jigglypuff:

Jigglypuff fans are going to hate me but...

MY PUNCHING BAG SURVIVED YES!!! (But i promise jigglypuff is a good character to play as well)

8/10

:falco:

No suprise falco is back i just hope hes futher decloned.

6/10

:ganondorf:

Im glad hes back but......:glare: Hes still falcondorf

3/10

:ness2:

Oh i was not surprised what so ever that he survived from the 2 mother items is what did it.

7/10

:popo::wolf::lucas::snake:
Its a shame at this point the 4 are disapearing

(Im lucas im guessing nesses customs are going to be all of lucas moves.)

1/10 for all of the, being kicked

Oh one more thing

:mewtwopm: If you think hes kicked HES NOT DEAD

as a matter of fact a guy named neo zero is pointing out theres atleast 1 more (and likely a additional 4)

And im pretty sure thats him/her (don't forget shetwo) besides you can rearrange the roster to fit mewtwo easily

Move ROB or DHD down after getting mewtwo there you go

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Let me make it clear that I do not dislike Rosalina or Bowser Jr themselves. I just dislike them being in this game. I always felt Sakurai didn't need to focus on bringing anymore Mario characters into the series and he should instead focus on other franchises who lacked characters. Now seeing Mario with SEVEN characters annoys the hell out of me. Especially when DK still only has two.

So remember, I actually like Rosalina and Bowser Jr. I enjoy seeing them in Mario games. But not in Smash as full-fledged characters.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Let me make it clear that I do not dislike Rosalina or Bowser Jr themselves. I just dislike them being in this game. I always felt Sakurai didn't need to focus on bringing anymore Mario characters into the series and he should instead focus on other franchises who lacked characters. Now seeing Mario with SEVEN characters annoys the hell out of me. Especially when DK still only has two.

So remember, I actually like Rosalina and Bowser Jr. I enjoy seeing them in Mario games. But not in Smash as full-fledged characters.
I disagree. Having no new Mario characters in Brawl was something I always found to be rather weird. Perhaps it is shocking to see two new characters and not just one, but Mario is Nintendo's mascot and flagship series. It still shocks me to see people complaining about extra Mario (and Pokemon) reps.

I don't disagree that more effort should be put into Metroid and DK, though. I just think that you should probably be looking more at Sakurai's overkill bias toward Kid Icarus before you should be looking at the new Mario reps. Metroid and DK both deserved a third character loooonnnnggggg before Kid Icarus even deserved a second.

But there is still hope for a third Metroid and DK rep.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Bowser Jr. - 8/10
- Makes a lot of sense given his second billing as a nemesis since Sunshine. Him being in the Koopa Kar is unexpected, but it opens up to having all of the Koopalings which is really cool.

Dr. Mario - 1/10
- Has no right to return. Makes no sense. Many more deserving characters than him. I'd take Roy over Dr. Mario any day. Heck, I'd probably take Pichu.

Duck Hunt - 8/10
- Super oddball choice, but man there's nostalgia there. I hope this character is done right and only has a Laughing Taunt for all 4 directions. Disappointing otherwise.

Dark Pit - 6/10
- This really comes down to his moveset. If he's a clone, then no, I'm not fine with it. If it's a varied moveset from KI:U due to the various weapon types, then I'm okay with it.

Falco - 4/10
- I'd prefer Wolf here, since his moveset is more varied from Fox, and he's a Villain. Smash needs more Villains.

Ganondorf - 5/10
- I don't really play Ganondorf, but he should be in Smash as Zelda's main villain. I'd prefer a different moveset though.

Ness - 6/10
- The right choice from the Mother series, being one of the original 12. I still don't play as him much though.

Mr. Game & Watch - 8/10
- He's just a goofy troll to play as.

R.O.B. - 4/10
- He's alright, but...yeah.

Jigglypuff - 2/10
- I know people like Jigglypuff and I know she's an original, but...she needs to go.

Wario - 7/10
- Indifferent really, but another deserving spot.

Shulk - 7/10
- I'm curious to see if Shulk remains in Smash going forward, but it's nice to have him recognized.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
So I'd probably be saying stuff people have really expressed already a thousand times but I guess this is the place to vent.

I really loathe Dark Pit and Dr Mario. The first is such an unimaginative, lazy and unnecessary addition, a damn literal clone of an already annoying character. I know a big reason for inclusion is gameplay and granted we still don't know his moveset but he looks better as an Alt.
I don't even know where to start with Dr Mario. Such an irrelevant low-requested (maybe two or three of his fans were happy he got in) waste of space. Why having Mario in a damn doctor outfit is necessary in this life? I though Sakurai was going to move away from adding clones and now we have him, so annoying. I'd rather have Pichu, at least he's his own character. Hate clones in general, and to the people saying 'don't complain about clones, more is better' well no quality has to be above quantity always. Sakurai is indeed hard to predict.

Other than those aberrations I'm happy with the rest of the characters! this is the best roster we have had.
Someone hates good characters...? Or maybe you're one of those people salty about Kid Icarus getting more representation?

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I disagree. Having no new Mario characters in Brawl was something I always found to be rather weird. Perhaps it is shocking to see two new characters and not just one, but Mario is Nintendo's mascot and flagship series. It still shocks me to see people complaining about extra Mario (and Pokemon) reps.

I don't disagree that more effort should be put into Metroid and DK, though. I just think that you should probably be looking more at Sakurai's overkill bias toward Kid Icarus before you should be looking at the new Mario reps. Metroid and DK both deserved a third character loooonnnnggggg before Kid Icarus even deserved a second.

But there is still hope for a third Metroid and DK rep.
I have theory to believe Dark Pit was a last minute addition that took no time at all to make. Because of this, I don't get too upset over it, even though it looks pretty stupid.

The true newcomers we got were:

Rosalina
Bowser Jr.
Greninja
Little Mac
Robin
Palutena
Mii Brawler
Mii Swordfighter
Mii Gunner
Mega Man
Pac-Man
Shulk
Duck Hunt Dog

A good amount of time was spent on these guys. Time and effort that could have been spent on who knows what else, but Sakurai chose these to focus on. So take your pick who you would have axed for someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom