• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"We were mislead about the big 3"

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmashK.O.

Smash Rookie
If looking at Sakurai's history of statements and their impacts "overanalyzing" a statement of Sakurai's , sure. But then what you're saying is that the only way to properly judge something is without context or knowledge. Reflect on that a bit .

I think , that if you look at the April Direct , within the context of Sakurai's statements , previous actions, and knowledge of what the Smash Bros community wanted, then it becomes damn near impossible to argue he wasn't teasing Ridley as a new character. Those who think he wasn't teased seem to have a massive hindsight bias.
That's not what I was saying at all. I was using the April Direct as an example of people blowing things out of proportion when the answer appears to be present. And why would I even say that the proper way to judge is by excluding context when my argument was based on people ignoring the crucial context within the April Direct ("other boss appearance")?

Furthermore, if you're saying that one should look at the April Direct including the context of what Sakurai has said earlier, then the issue is that they don't really say anything significant (to the point where it is beyond reasonable doubt to believe that Ridley is playable), or rather, no one has been able to be convincing in their argument of why that particular piece of "evidence" was contextually significant. Most pro-Ridley fans have pointed to the whole "Nintendo/Sakurai always de/confirms characters immediately" argument when they point to things like Shulk and Chrom, but they forget that Mewtwo wasn't deconfirmed immediately, which suggests that this isn't a consistent pattern as people would like to think.

SmashK.O.

Smash Rookie
I noticed that creepy Duck Hunt Dog supporter is going around acting superior just because his character made it in. As if his characters wasn't confirmed, he wouldn't be semi disappointed. Hey, I got news for you buddy. I have about 7 mains in the roster. Sure, I'm annoyed that Sakurai HAS mislead 2 of the big 3 and wouldn't at least add the actual DARK Samus if not Ridley. Other then that, I actually appreciated majority of the roster just as much as the new features and detailed new stages he added to the series. Nothing wrong with having sympathy for the supporters that supported those characters before me. Also, I am the only that's disgusted by those tear jokes? I never really got it.
What was the 2nd big three that Sakurai mislead?

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
I noticed that creepy Duck Hunt Dog supporter is going around acting superior just because his character made it in. As if his characters wasn't confirmed, he wouldn't be semi disappointed. Hey, I got news for you buddy. I have about 7 mains in the roster. Sure, I'm annoyed that Sakurai HAS mislead 2 of the big 3 and wouldn't at least add the actual DARK Samus if not Ridley. Other then that, I actually appreciated majority of the roster just as much as the new features and detailed new stages he added to the series. Nothing wrong with having sympathy for the supporters that supported those characters before me. Also, I am the only that's disgusted by those tear jokes? I never really got it.
pffft he'd be the last person to do that knowing how Sakurai was messing with Toad fans (which was like waaaaay worse than the ridley teased as a boss thing)

and why should anyone have sympathy for all these people who are acting bitter and salty and denouncing the game just cause of the roster?

Sakurai didn't mislead anyone with the big three. Its just the fans who over analyzed and looked too much into it. He clearly said Ridley was a stage boss from the very beginning yet ppl wanted to think otherwise.

its amazing how hateful the community is being right now.

Last edited:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Sakurai didn't mislead anyone with the big three. Its just the fans who over analyzed and looked too much into it. He clearly said Ridley was a stage boss from the very beginning yet ppl wanted to think otherwise.
This is wrong. Sakurai never said Ridley was a stage boss.

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
It was also hinted that Toon Link and Palutena were stage decorations.
no they weren't. comparing them to Ridley is nonsense. In the case of Ridley, they showed off a stage boss (the yellow devil) and went next to using text (and Ridley's shadow) saying other boss appearances will happen like the case with the Yellow Devil.

with toon link, he was just shown as a conductor. with nothing else said. it wasn't until his reveal that they said he would swap places with some other character if chosen.

Last edited:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
no they weren't. comparing them to Ridley is nonsense. In the case of Ridley, they showed off a stage boss (the yellow devil) and went next to using text (and Ridley's shadow) saying other boss appearances will happen like the case with the Yellow Devil.

with toon link, he was just shown as a conductor. with nothing else said. it wasn't until his reveal that they said he would swap places with some other character if chosen.
How much you want to bet that if Toon Link wasn't playable, people would be saying they knew it from the start because he was conducting the train?

The fact of the matter is that blatant teases have happened, and in most cases, a character being teased without being confirmed one way or another ends up being playable.

InfernoIII

Smash Rookie
That's not what I was saying at all. I was using the April Direct as an example of people blowing things out of proportion when the answer appears to be present. And why would I even say that the proper way to judge is by excluding context when my argument was based on people ignoring the crucial context within the April Direct ("other boss appearance")?

Furthermore, if you're saying that one should look at the April Direct including the context of what Sakurai has said earlier, then the issue is that they don't really say anything significant (to the point where it is beyond reasonable doubt to believe that Ridley is playable), or rather, no one has been able to be convincing in their argument of why that particular piece of "evidence" was contextually significant. Most pro-Ridley fans have pointed to the whole "Nintendo/Sakurai always de/confirms characters immediately" argument when they point to things like Shulk and Chrom, but they forget that Mewtwo wasn't deconfirmed immediately, which suggests that this isn't a consistent pattern as people would like to think.
Mewtwo was never teased though , all they said was they were thinking about putting him in. Other characters which were teased . such as Dark Pit , got in. This was also in the very same direct where Palutena and both Robin/Lucina were teased , and got in.

The argument is not whether Sakurai's teasing made Ridley "beyond a reasonable doubt" to get in , but that Sakurai hinted heavily towards Ridley, leaving room for dissapointment. No newcomer had "beyond a reasonable doubt" to get in till leaked/revealed.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
The director of Smash Bros has no knowledge of the world's biggest online community for Smash Bros? Lol.
@Xevious 1
And apparently he does no research on what non-Japanese fans want. And he has nobody who knows English who works for him.

The thing is, if it were true that Sakurai didn't look into what English-speaking fans want at all, that would be even more reason to criticize him. "Don't be silly, he didn't purposely ignore Ridley hype, Sakurai doesn't even know or care what the majority of Smash fans (i.e. non-Japanese fans) want in the first place!" That sounds sooo much better, right?

Last edited:

G1_Shockwave

Smash Cadet
@Xevious 1
And apparently he does no research on what non-Japanese fans want. And he has nobody who knows English who works for him.

The thing is, if it were true that Sakurai didn't look into what English-speaking fans want at all, that would be even more reason to criticize him. "Don't be silly, he didn't purposely ignore Ridley hype, Sakurai doesn't even know or care what the majority of Smash fans (i.e. non-Japanese fans) want in the first place!" That sounds sooo much better, right?

This is true, He is going to hype up Ridley as a Wii U EXCLUSIVE... stage boss. as I have always sadly thought.. (looks like Metal Face is going to be in the same category) Or he may become some insulting "play as the boss gimmick"

This is a Japanese game with a Japanese target audience, the bone for us is Little Mack and that was it. He has no idea or cares of what people want outside of japan.

Skyline1992

Smash Apprentice
I just don't understand why Sakurai and Nintendo handled Ridley's situation so poorly. Sakurai clearly has an answer to the whole Ridley debate but for some reason he doesn't want to talk/address it. Everybody wants this whole debate about him to end and the fact that Sakurai dances around it is an insult to Ridley's fanbase. What's worse is that the Ridley supporters have to deal with being ridiculed for the next few years as if it's a bad thing to be sad about a character that didn't get it. People say action speaks louder than words but this is one of those times where we need an explanation. As long as Sakurai can give us a clear cut answer as to why Ridley isn't/can't be playable, all the anger that people have boiled up inside will disappear and will no longer request him for future installments since it will just be a lost cause.

Edit: I'm also still surprised that none of the big 3 actually made it in. I was convinced that at least one of them would get in with Mewtwo being the most likely, but after witnessing this first hand, it's pretty clear that none of them will ever get a spot on the roster as deserving as it is.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Lol I like DHD. (However on multiple occasions you've been insensitive to people who are losing their characters, it makes me think less of you but it's whatever.)

He gets paid for that.
Yeah, well, it's payback for the people being so insensitive to the Toad fans when we lost Toad back when Peach was confirmed, when Super Mario 3D World came out, and when Rosalina was confirmed. I guess Toad isn't good enough to be in the disappointed fans club.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
These threads aren't gonna be around long enough now before the archive thing happens for me to care about any of the apologist arguments or labeling others as salty so as to dismiss their points, but

Yeah, well, it's payback for the people being so insensitive to the Toad fans when we lost Toad back when Peach was confirmed, when Super Mario 3D World came out, and when Rosalina was confirmed. I guess Toad isn't good enough to be in the disappointed fans club.
Uh, I wanted Toad as a character (especially more than Bowser Jr or getting Dr. Mario back) due to my history of usually maining him in spinoffs, and gave my condolences when he got the final nail in the coffin around Rosalina's reveal, so what more do you want from me? :ohwell: Am sorry if some fans of other characters I supported were insensitive on Toad's predicament, but that doesn't mean we're all the same. If you're gonna belittle my disappointment too along with the others' even though I wanted Toad also, then I don't know what to say man.

edit: Oh, now I see what you meant about the disappointed fans club. That sig in other words... Toad not being on there is a glaring omission.

Last edited:

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
What was the 2nd big three that Sakurai mislead?
Who cares anymore? This thread gets more pointless by the hour.
pffft he'd be the last person to do that knowing how Sakurai was messing with Toad fans (which was like waaaaay worse than the ridley teased as a boss thing)

and why should anyone have sympathy for all these people who are acting bitter and salty and denouncing the game just cause of the roster?

its amazing how hateful the community is being right now.
Alright, miss.

Fumpster

Smash Rookie
Passive aggressive posts like this are why I don't post in Smashboards very often. People here love to cause so much drama for what is essentially no reason; you're not superior to anybody because you got your favourite character in or managed to "predict" a character. The whole "I told you so" attitude reminds me distinctly of elementary/high school. I don't mean to single Arcadenik out, because this is an issue EVERYWHERE on the forum, but it seems like this thread in particular is being subjected to this kind of nonsense and this is a great example. I recommend you all think back to the way you felt after your favourite character was shafted and take the higher road on this sort of situation; maybe it could lead to you getting along a lot better.

Anyway, that said, I agree that people do go so deep down the Smash Bros. rabbit hole that any kind of reasonable conclusions might go over their heads a bit. I was really hoping that Ridley would be playable in this game, but I honestly didn't expect him to (I feel like his role in the Smash series has been made clear at this point). The Smash Direct only further cemented the way I felt, and I don't think Sakurai is as much of a troll that people make him out to be. I think it was made obvious that he would be a stage boss and that the shadow teasing was just a way of showing him indirectly. Regardless, I do think the way that was handled is kind of poor and he should have just ripped the band-aid off quickly.

Mewtwo is an oddity and is kind of hard to explain. I think if DLC is down the line then he's a pretty likely candidate. I don't think Mewtwo was ever teased beyond that E3 statement last year though.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I should first start off with saying that I wasn't really a fan of the "Big three." I'm saying that because I want to point out I don't have any bias towards them. If they are in? Cool. If they are not? Well that sucks for the fans, but doesn't affect me.

Anyway, K. Rool was never teased. I just didn't see it.

Mewtwo wasn't teased in the Greninja trailer, but I will say that Sakurai probably shouldn't have made a comment of them "thinking about it."

Ridley. I never thought Ridley was teased as a playable character in the april direct. I thought of the possibility of two separate Ridleys yes, but I thought the Ridley they were referring to in the direct was going to be a boss. They were trying to hype him up as one.

I've seen quite a bit of comments asking why they would tease Ridley as a boss. Who would get hyped for that?

Well...You got to understand something about Nintento and their hyping methods. For a lack of a better word, their methods are...casual. They aren't designed to appeal to hardcore fans. Take this as an example. One day, game freak hyped everyone up by saying they would reveal an evolution of a Pokémon for X and Y. Everyone got excited. This is what we got:

For a lot of people, (myself not included), this was a disappointment. But, the lesson to learn is that Nintendo/GameFreak thought that just showing a new evolution would be enough to get people excited.

Just like with the Ridley boss thing, they though that teasing Ridley as a boss would be hype worthy. They thought that, hey, you don't get him as a playable character, but at least he is in the game. This was also how all the other disconfirmation were handled. In conclusion, I don't think any were meant to be teased except maybe Mewtwo but things didn't go as planned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom