• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"We were mislead about the big 3"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malcolmnex

Smash Apprentice
The big three are more important and popular than like half of the newcomers its pretty ridiculous.
ill give you mewtwo, but k. rool has been GONE from the DK universe for years.... ssb4's announcement revived his relevance. as for ridley, outside the fact he's a boss character (yes a boss character). his number of supporters is EQUAL to his number of haters. Ridley's forum being locked cuz of all out war proves this so.......

MagnesD3

Smash Master
ill give you mewtwo, but k. rool has been GONE from the DK universe for years.... ssb4's announcement revived his relevance. as for ridley, outside the fact he's a boss character (yes a boss character). his number of supporters is EQUAL to his number of haters. Ridley's forum being locked cuz of all out war proves this so.......
Relevancy doesnt mean importance :facepalm: King K is Dk's bowser, Ridley is samus's archenemy, Mewtwo is the most powerful pokemon. Their careers speak for themselves.

Millions.
Millions is only some when it comes to the nintendo fanbase. Regardless he was third party, not nintendo and I could care less about him.

Last edited:

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
Out of those you listed Megaman was the only one who people wanted and thats a 3rd party character who doesnt matter to many nintendo fans.
Do you really think he can include every random character fans request to make everyone happy? Seriously, we'd end up with a bloated as hell roster if he were out to please everyone. Cuts happen a lot in fighting games believe it or not. I didn't think Ed Boon did a bad job with MK9 just because my favorite character Tanya wasn't in it (a character alot of ppl wanted in too). People enjoyed the game regardless.

You mean two third party characters and a joke character? Yeah, I guess we are spoiled brats. Seriously though, don't discuss like that, you sound like a hypocrite.
the game has nearly 50 characters and the fact that some of you ppl still aren't satisfied given all the content we got says it all really. Ppl acting all salty over Mewtwo >_>

Last edited:

SmashK.O.

Smash Rookie
I'm sorry, but no. To start off, Ridley was never one of my most requested characters. Most of my requested characters are already in the game, so I'm fairly satisfied.

thus with that said, I came from a fairly unbias perspective on the whole Ridley thing, and I can tell you, it was handled poorly on Sakurai's part, if he is indeed deconfirmed. Just because you all assume he was confirmed to be a boss doesn't mean that was the case. Sakurai never explicitly confirmed him as a boss or character. I understand people need to calm down, and not let this get to them too much, but be real, some of these guys have been waiting 13 years to see Ridley playable, have been the source of ridicule by the other party claiming they're delusional, and now there is a new Smash game, in which they are hoping he's in. No one expected him to be in, but all the teasing, and similar cases to such teasing, coupled with being a highly requested character, you can't blame folks for thinking he was in. Again, I care less that Ridley is in or not, but I know poor marketing when I see it. Sakurai basically just mocked the Ridley fans in the worst way possible. It wouldn't have hurt to just revealed him as a boss right then and there.
I didn't say Ridley was confirmed to be a boss, because the fact of the matter is that we still don't know what Sakurai did regarding the Ridley nonsense, and we probably won't know until we're closer to the Wii U release date. However, I will say that the text "other boss appearances" and Ridley being the shadow makes it more reasonable to assume that Ridley will be a boss. Whereas, there's really nothing beyond reasonable doubt that claims that Ridley is a playable character. In other words, there is a huge disparity in these two perspectives. I understand that people want certain characters to be in Smash, because I too have a wishlist of characters to add in Smash. However, the difference is that pro-Ridley fans tend to overanalyze every little thing to keep the hope alive, and that's something I can absolutely blame them for doing.

Malcolmnex

Smash Apprentice
Relevancy doesnt mean importance :facepalm: King K is Dk's bowser, Ridley is samus's archenemy, Mewtwo is the most powerful pokemon. Their careers speak for themselves.
You completely missed the point.... These Character a great... Real great... but there role in there respected games has nothing to do with deserving a spot. crossover game is messy legal territory. certian rights can prevent a character inclusion(which was the case k. rool i presume.) Mewtwo the most powerful pokemon? that is the most bias **** ive heard EVER. there are over 800 pokemon (including one that is LITERALLY GOD) and youre saying the artificially made one is the strongest....... right. also this the last time ill say this. RIDLEY WAS CONFIRMED AS A BOSS IN SSB4....... TWICE.

Relevancy doesnt mean importance :facepalm:
SIIIIIIIIIIIGH*

D

Deleted member

the game has nearly 50 characters and the fact that some of you ppl still aren't satisfied given all the content we got says it all really. Ppl acting all salty over Mewtwo >_>
What can I say? Quality over quantity. For an example, I would rather have one more newcomer than five more clones.

InfernoIII

Smash Rookie
I didn't say Ridley was confirmed to be a boss, because the fact of the matter is that we still don't know what Sakurai did regarding the Ridley nonsense, and we probably won't know until we're closer to the Wii U release date. However, I will say that the text "other boss appearances" and Ridley being the shadow makes it more reasonable to assume that Ridley will be a boss. Whereas, there's really nothing beyond reasonable doubt that claims that Ridley is a playable character. In other words, there is a huge disparity in these two perspectives. I understand that people want certain characters to be in Smash, because I too have a wishlist of characters to add in Smash. However, the difference is that pro-Ridley fans tend to overanalyze every little thing to keep the hope alive, and that's something I can absolutely blame them for doing.
If looking at Sakurai's history of statements and their impacts "overanalyzing" a statement of Sakurai's , sure. But then what you're saying is that the only way to properly judge something is without context or knowledge. Reflect on that a bit .

I think , that if you look at the April Direct , within the context of Sakurai's statements , previous actions, and knowledge of what the Smash Bros community wanted, then it becomes damn near impossible to argue he wasn't teasing Ridley as a new character. Those who think he wasn't teased seem to have a massive hindsight bias.

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
The fact that he's been replaced as a villain in the recent games not only takes out his relevance but also diminished his important villian role in the DK series. The only important characters in the DKC nowadays are just Donkey Kong and Diddy (and maybe Dixie Kong). Not every series in Smash necessarily needs villain representation, otherwise wouldn't a whole crapload of other series have villains in smash too?

comparing King K Rool to Bowser is a extreme as hes nowhere near relevant or important to Nintendo like Bowser is. And Bowser has never been replaced as a villian... like ever.... unless you count Wart

What can I say? Quality over quantity. For an example, I would rather have one more newcomer than five more clones.
even if you take out the 5 clones (only two of them were newcomers), theres still 44 other original movesets.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Not every series in Smash necessarily needs villain representation, otherwise wouldn't a whole crapload of other series have villains in smash too?
No, there's not enough recurring villains for there to be a crapload of them. And King K. Rool just happens to be one of the most memorable recurring villains.

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
No, there's not enough recurring villains for there to be a crapload of them. And King K. Rool just happens to be one of the most memorable recurring villains.
yes he was a recurring villain. but not anymore. too long of an absence.

RazorsawTF

Smash Cadet
Wanting a character and speculating is all well and good, but speculation is done in the real world with the knowledge that it's going off incomplete information and the preparation that you might be wrong. What went on here was a serious case of mental gymnastics to recast and twist the context of a man's words to suit someone's own purposes, and when the reality turned out to not match the reality they'd constructed, people reacted with bitterness and bile.

That's what the Ridley situation was. It's not bashing to point out the fact the holes in your theory and your relative immaturity over it. You're conflating caring about Ridley with your flawed reasoning, and if someone has a problem with the reasoning you must have a problem with fans of Ridley and Ridley himself!

That's why this is being met with hostility. Because you're creating a hostile environment for this whole debate. And, more than likely, you guys are going to turn around and say that by protesting this, I and others like me are in fact the ones doing this, so yay for the vicious cycle.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
I don't get all the hate for supporters of the Big Three. We wanted these characters in, same as anyone, we looked for evidence that they'd be in, same as anyone, and since they're not, we're disappointed, same as anyone. Why all the spite and "I told you so?"-ing?
They are obnoxious. Some of the fans of the big 3 think their characters matter over everyone else's, some even go as far as to not buy the game because they are not in.

D

Deleted member

They are obnoxious. Some of the fans of the big 3 think their characters matter over everyone else's, some even go as far as to not buy the game because they are not in.
But some detractors can go way too far also.(I've seen some go far as not buying the game if they're in and saying that anyone who wants them in is obnoxious.) Why are we even judging others based on what they characters they want anyway?

Last edited by a moderator:

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
But some detractors can go way too far also.(I've seen some go far as not buying the game if they're in.) Why are we even judging others based on what they want anyway?
I am not being a detractor. I would love if these characters were in. But it gets irritating when people are absolutely sure that they are in, then are angry when they are not.

Also if you think the big 3 detractors are bad, then you haven't seen Snake detractors. I am a huge Snake fan and had people constantly saying he shouldn't be in the game or absolutely has no chance. I am also disappointed Snake didn't return, but I am not having a tantrum or saying the roster sucks because of it. Hell some people think Sakurai should step down because the big 3 are not in.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
polls on a message board, referring to three highly requested characters when speaking to the smash community, on a message board. sounds ok to me
Smash Boards has around 150.000 of users. Thats like 1%-2% of the audience of Smash. The poll thing gets even more insignificant when you realize that not even a 5% of the forum participated in that poll.

The entire Smash Boards can be burned, with all of his members being killed in horrible ways and Smash 4 will sell perfectly. Dont get me wrong, i love Smash Boards, i enjoy being part of this forum. But you have to accept that we are not THAT relevant.

And unfortunelly, in an actual poll of the whole audience. It wouldnt be a surprise for me if the top 50 characters were filled by just minor Mario characters, Pokemons and characters outside of videogame world, specially anime and comic characters or even some movie characters.

D

Deleted member

I am not being a detractor. I would love if these characters were in. But it gets irritating when people are absolutely sure that they are in, then are angry when they are not.

Also if you think the big 3 detractors are bad, then you haven't seen Snake detractors. I am a huge Snake fan and had people constantly saying he shouldn't be in the game or absolutely has no chance. I am also disappointed Snake didn't return, but I am not having a tantrum or saying the roster sucks because of it. Hell some people think Sakurai should step down because the big 3 are not in.
I never meant to imply you were a detractor, I apologize.

Anyway, the point is that both sides can be equally bad, it really depends on the individual.(You don't see me threatening sakurai, but other supporters have.) I just don't like generalizing.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
So, you're lumping in every fan of these three characters in together with the dregs every fanbase has..... Bigot.

The big three are prolific because.... They're big. Of course there are idiots in our ranks. doesn't give you the right to be an *** to all the fans because of a few bad seeds.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
I never meant to imply you were a detractor, I apologize.

Anyway, the point is that both sides can be equally bad, it really depends on the individual.(You don't see me threatening sakurai, but other supporters have.) I just don't like generalizing.
It's ok, it just those few vocal fans that drive me up the wall.
So, you're lumping in every fan of these three characters in together with the dregs every fanbase has..... Bigot.

The big three are prolific because.... They're big. Of course there are idiots in our ranks. doesn't give you the right to be an *** to all the fans because of a few bad seeds.
This is the type of behavior I'm talking about. Notice how I said Some of not all.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
It's ok, it just those few vocal fans that drive me up the wall.

This is the type of behavior I'm talking about. Notice how I said Some of not all.
You said some as a justification for bashing big three supporters in the context of replying to my quote. Nice try to make me the bad guy, though.

D

Deleted member

Oh gosh, this is going to get heated. I just wish both sides were more tolerant to each other, it would benefit the whole community.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
You said some as a justification for bashing big three supporters in the context of replying to my quote. Nice try to make me the bad guy, though.
I'm not tying to make you a bad guy. All I said is that some of the big 3 fans are obnoxious. You got offended by that and called me an a** and a bigot. Sorry I am just stating how I feel about some of the big 3 supporters, I even said I would love to see those three in Smash.

Last edited:

TehSmashMaster

Smash Rookie
Warning Received
Every time I read one of the Ridley's supporters statements, I cringe at their delusional thickheadedness. It's nothing but lunacy. Pure irrational, deluded, crockpot lunacy. Before you Ridley supporters start to hate on me, I will tell you that I too, was once a supporter for Ridley as a character and am a big Metroid fan. However, I only was hoping him to be a character when it was sensible. After the direct, all rational common sense of Ridley being a playable went down the toilet. I chuckle at all your so-called "evidence" of Ridley being a playable character looked like some laughable bull**** that I'd read at a crazy Illuminati or 9/11 "Truther" website.

Knowing how irrational and warped your delusional subhuman "minds" are, you probably won't agree with my statement, but it was pretty obvious that all this sadness and anger should have erupted out of us in April, but then the people who still wanted Ridley as a character deluded themselves with insane "evidence" denying the simple truth that Ridley would be a stage boss. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that in the direct, it was obviously shown that Ridley was only a boss, as he was talked about during the boss segment. Perhaps it could've been a cop-out but the subtitles clearly said "OTHER BOSS CHARACTERS." In other words, Sakurai was giving us a sort of Neon sign saying that Ridley is clearly a boss. I can not comprehend the sort of deluded loony mind that would automatically interpret this obvious barely-hint as "character teasing." As for why Ridley is only a shadow and why Ridley's boss showing is seemingly vague, it's to hype him up as a boss, making the viewer wonder what will Ridley try to do to me at Pyrosphere? So the real question wasn't if Ridley was a boss or not, rather, it was "What kind of boss are we looking at?"

You will probably respond asking how is it possible to get hyped for a boss character? I will tell you right now that not everyone thinks bosses are lame as most of you apparently do. When Brawl came out, I was excited to fight boss characters. Fighting boss characters was exciting, it offered a different sort of challenge then fighting against normal opponent, which was a powerful opponent that couldn't be killed by knock back. When I found out that Ridley would be able to do that sort of thing and I could have a normal match with my friend at the same time, I was thrilled.

Just because you all think stage hazards are uncompetetive, you automatically think they suck, which is pure arrogance. You must be selfish to think that being a stage hazard is bad just because they aren't tournament legal. News Flash: there's far more to Smash than playable characters and platforms. My point in saying this is that just because bosses don't give you hype doesn't mean everyone isn't hyped by bosses. I will most likely get disliked for saying this, but I feel that Ridley fits being a boss much better than being a playable character in Smash. The major reason for this is because of Ridley acts in combat. Ridley is not usually a ground fighter, (though he can be quite adept at grounded close-quarters combat when he needs to, to say the least) but a fierce foe in the air. Ridley fly's with extreme speed and maneuverability, and that wouldn't work out as a playable character, because he'd then become overpowered and banned from competitive play. His flight ability and speed would be so cheap that he'd make Brawl's Meta Knight look tame. Ridley is also insanely large; in all canonical appearances from Zero Mission to Fusion, Ridley is large enough to have Samus, a woman who is tall in her own right, almost fit in the palm of his hand. Unlike Bowser where he can be large human sized, such as in Mario Party, Ridley is usually a consistent size throughout the Metroid series. Metroid is a more realistic game then Mario, so sizes in that game should be taken more seriously. As a Ridley fan I also like that he's a boss then a playable character, as that shows that he's too powerful to fight the playable cast on their level. As a boss, he can be his true humoungus self and unleash his true OP potential that he's exerted in the Metroid series.
MAIN POINT OF THIS PARAGRAPH: Believe it or not, there are people out there who can get hyped for bosses. Stop thinking that your opinion matters the most in the world, and not everyone thinks the same way as you do.

As for all the disappointment of Ridley not being a character, you have no one to blame but yourselves. I'll admit, I was angry when Ridley was deconfirmed back in April when it was sensible to be sad about such a thing. But since then, the people in denial who remained as playable Ridley supporters than created insane crackpot conspiracies as to why Ridley might be playable. So the way he moves is slow and is similar to how you think a playable character would move, big whoop. We barely knew anything about the game, how could we know for sure what a playable character would or wouldn't be? Grabbing Pikachu doesn't prove anything, as Ridley grabbed Samus in Brawl and Other M, he could just do that as a boss. As for why he moved slowly in his shadow, he might just be looking for characters to pick up. What I'm trying to say here is that none of the movement of the shadow actually pointed to a playable character, it was only strange because Ridley is usually quite swift while attacking. Sakurai never hinted that Ridley would be a character, nor was he trying to tease the fans. By your demented logic, Metal Face had an even larger chance of being a playable character than Ridley, as he appeared in a trailer, where playable characters actually appeared in, and we only saw his shadow. "Nothing about his shadow says boss yet!"

Why was Pyrosphere unusable at the demo, then? This might also be the same reason why Ridley's movement is unusual in his shadow: because Ridley wasn't finished yet, and at this point in time, they're still working on the Wii U version, and as a boss, they're giving Ridley a lot of care because of how iconic he is.

Though many of the desperate Ridley supporters compared his situation to that of Zero Suit Samus, Palutena or Toon Link, there is a major difference in Ridley's case. Unlike Palutena or Toon Link, where we saw Palutena's statue, that didn't ever prove her to be playable. Nothing was said about Palutena or Toon Link being unplayable. Toon Link being able to have Alfonzo operate the train for him is not comparable to Ridley, as operating the train isn't that important compared to being a stage boss. Lastly, right after Sakurai said that ZSS would not appear in this iteration of Smash Bros., he immediately told us that that statement was just a ruse, unlike Ridley's situation, where Sakurai was more serious in saying that a certain someone who would appear as a boss in Pyrosphere. I bet from Sakurai's POV, he thought people would be overjoyed to find out that Ridley would appear in the Pyrosphere stage. You may then try to rebuke this and say "but when we were confused about other characters like Chrome, they told us that they weren't characters. Why not Ridley?" My answer to this argument is that they were actually vague for characters who seemed to be possible as characters, such as Chrom who was just part of a Final Smash. Unlike Chrom, Ridley wasn't in a reveal trailer, and in many of the reveal trailers for SSB4, there tend to be many playable characters in them. Ridley was in the bosses section, or in Japanese, it was "other boss gimmicks." The most likely reason why Sakurai didn't flat out say "RIDLEY IS A F^%&ING BOSS YOU MORONS" is because he probably thinks his consumer base is actually has the common sense and intelligence to get the gist of what he was saying. He was trying to have fun by giving us a sneak preview of an important boss, he doesn't want to hold you by the hand and spell it out for you, unless it was an honest mistake, such as the Chrom incident. Sakurai thinks that his fans are intelligent humans with common sense. I'm sure he'd feel like his fan base was a bunch of idiots if he had to out of his way to point out the obvious when he instead wanted to hint it out to them. The likely reason he never said anything about Ridley after the Direct was because he thought good of us.

Please, do not blame Sakurai for your disappointment in the roster. You are to blame for your unrealistic expectations. You make up these elaborate theories right after the possibility has been thrown away, and as I predicted, many people whined about it. Sad. Just sad. If you weren't so warped or delusional, you could see that this game is much better than you think it is. Stop blaming Sakurai for everything. This guy worked really hard to make this masterpiece. He even once mentioned that he got a bad headache or something while trying to work on this game. EDIT: A

Malle

Smash Apprentice
You're not reasonable.
The shadow is still incredibly small, we haven't seen a Ridley trophy yet (as if it would hold any significence) and by the look of the roster currently it looks so out of place and incomplete. You may talk to me like i'm "delusional" and a "lunatic".. But honestly, we have all the reasons to believe so when there are so many examples that point in various directions, speculations are a phase of any popular game, many of us Ridley supporters NEVER said with 100% that we'd think he was in, we expected him - Yes, but its a whole lot of difference.

Like the Ridley **** is the only crazy thing that has happened over this year? There's far too many to count, whats to say this isn't the BIGGEST one to spare the Wii U version hype?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You're not reasonable.
The shadow is still incredibly small, we haven't seen a Ridley trophy yet (as if it would hold any significence) and by the look of the roster currently it looks so out of place and incomplete. You may talk to me like i'm "delusional" and a "lunatic".. But honestly, we have all the reasons to believe so when there are so many examples that point in various directions, speculations are a phase of any popular game, many of us Ridley supporters NEVER said with 100% that we'd think he was in, we expected him - Yes, but its a whole lot of difference.

Like the Ridley **** is the only crazy thing that has happened over this year? There's far too many to count, whats to say this isn't the BIGGEST one to spare the Wii U version hype?
There's no point in arguing with him. This is why I was hoping he would be confirmed after the direct more than I was before, so some people can consider some possibilities. The detractor above me is an example of both sides going too far.(Seriously, don't call other members delusional, keep thoughts like that to yourself.)

InfernoIII

Smash Rookie
Every time I read one of the Ridley's supporters statements, I cringe at their delusional thickheadedness. It's nothing but lunacy. Pure irrational, deluded, crockpot lunacy. Before you Ridley supporters start to hate on me, I will tell you that I too, was once a supporter for Ridley as a character and am a big Metroid fan. However, I only was hoping him to be a character when it was sensible. After the direct, all rational common sense of Ridley being a playable went down the toilet. I chuckle at all your so-called "evidence" of Ridley being a playable character looked like some laughable bulls**t that I'd read at a crazy Illuminati or 9/11 "Truther" website.

Knowing how irrational and warped your delusional subhuman "minds" are, you probably won't agree with my statement, but it was pretty obvious that all this sadness and anger should have erupted out of us in April, but then the people who still wanted Ridley as a character deluded themselves with insane "evidence" denying the simple truth that Ridley would be a stage boss. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that in the direct, it was obviously shown that Ridley was only a boss, as he was talked about during the boss segment. Perhaps it could've been a cop-out but the subtitles clearly said "OTHER BOSS CHARACTERS." In other words, Sakurai was giving us a sort of Neon sign saying that Ridley is clearly a boss. I can not comprehend the sort of deluded loony mind that would automatically interpret this obvious barely-hint as "character teasing." As for why Ridley is only a shadow and why Ridley's boss showing is seemingly vague, it's to hype him up as a boss, making the viewer wonder what will Ridley try to do to me at Pyrosphere? So the real question wasn't if Ridley was a boss or not, rather, it was "What kind of boss are we looking at?"

You will probably respond asking how is it possible to get hyped for a boss character? I will tell you right now that not everyone thinks bosses are lame as most of you apparently do. When Brawl came out, I was excited to fight boss characters. Fighting boss characters was exciting, it offered a different sort of challenge then fighting against normal opponent, which was a powerful opponent that couldn't be killed by knock back. When I found out that Ridley would be able to do that sort of thing and I could have a normal match with my friend at the same time, I was thrilled.

Just because you all think stage hazards are uncompetetive, you automatically think they suck, which is pure arrogance. You must be selfish to think that being a stage hazard is bad just because they aren't tournament legal. News Flash: there's far more to Smash than playable characters and platforms. My point in saying this is that just because bosses don't give you hype doesn't mean everyone isn't hyped by bosses. I will most likely get disliked for saying this, but I feel that Ridley fits being a boss much better than being a playable character in Smash. The major reason for this is because of Ridley acts in combat. Ridley is not usually a ground fighter, (though he can be quite adept at grounded close-quarters combat when he needs to, to say the least) but a fierce foe in the air. Ridley fly's with extreme speed and maneuverability, and that wouldn't work out as a playable character, because he'd then become overpowered and banned from competitive play. His flight ability and speed would be so cheap that he'd make Brawl's Meta Knight look tame. Ridley is also insanely large; in all canonical appearances from Zero Mission to Fusion, Ridley is large enough to have Samus, a woman who is tall in her own right, almost fit in the palm of his hand. Unlike Bowser where he can be large human sized, such as in Mario Party, Ridley is usually a consistent size throughout the Metroid series. Metroid is a more realistic game then Mario, so sizes in that game should be taken more seriously. As a Ridley fan I also like that he's a boss then a playable character, as that shows that he's too powerful to fight the playable cast on their level. As a boss, he can be his true humoungus self and unleash his true OP potential that he's exerted in the Metroid series.
MAIN POINT OF THIS PARAGRAPH: Believe it or not, there are people out there who can get hyped for bosses. Stop thinking that your opinion matters the most in the world, and not everyone thinks the same way as you do.

As for all the disappointment of Ridley not being a character, you have no one to blame but yourselves. I'll admit, I was angry when Ridley was deconfirmed back in April when it was sensible to be sad about such a thing. But since then, the people in denial who remained as playable Ridley supporters than created insane crackpot conspiracies as to why Ridley might be playable. So the way he moves is slow and is similar to how you think a playable character would move, big whoop. We barely knew anything about the game, how could we know for sure what a playable character would or wouldn't be? Grabbing Pikachu doesn't prove anything, as Ridley grabbed Samus in Brawl and Other M, he could just do that as a boss. As for why he moved slowly in his shadow, he might just be looking for characters to pick up. What I'm trying to say here is that none of the movement of the shadow actually pointed to a playable character, it was only strange because Ridley is usually quite swift while attacking. Sakurai never hinted that Ridley would be a character, nor was he trying to tease the fans.

Though many of the desperate Ridley supporters compared his situation to that of Zero Suit Samus, Palutena or Toon Link, there is a major difference in Ridley's case. Unlike Palutena or Toon Link, where we saw Palutena's statue, that didn't ever prove her to be playable. Nothing was said about Palutena or Toon Link being unplayable. Toon Link being able to have Alfonzo operate the train for him is not comparable to Ridley, as operating the train isn't that important compared to being a stage boss. Lastly, right after Sakurai said that ZSS would not appear in this iteration of Smash Bros., he immediately told us that that statement was just a ruse, unlike Ridley's situation, where Sakurai was more serious in saying that a certain someone who would appear as a boss in Pyrosphere. I bet from Sakurai's POV, he thought people would be overjoyed to find out that Ridley would appear in the Pyrosphere stage. You may then try to rebuke this and say "but when we were confused about other characters like Chrome, they told us that they weren't characters. Why not Ridley?" My answer to this argument is that they were actually vague for characters who seemed to be possible as characters, such as Chrom who was just part of a Final Smash. Unlike Chrom, Ridley wasn't in a reveal trailer, and in many of the reveal trailers for SSB4, there tend to be many playable characters in them. Ridley was in the bosses section, or in Japanese, it was "other boss gimmicks." The most likely reason why Sakurai didn't flat out say "RIDLEY IS A F^%&ING BOSS YOU MORONS" is because he probably thinks his consumer base is actually has the common sense and intelligence to get the gist of what he was saying. He was trying to have fun by giving us a sneak preview of an important boss, he doesn't want to hold you by the hand and spell it out for you, unless it was an honest mistake, such as the Chrom incident.

Please, do not blame Sakurai for your disappointment in the roster. You are to blame for your unrealistic expectations. You make up these elaborate theories right after the possibility has been thrown away, and as I predicted, many people whined about it. Sad. Just sad. If you weren't so warped or delusional, you could see that this game is much better than you think it is. Stop blaming Sakurai for everything. This guy worked really hard to make this masterpiece. He even once mentioned that he got a bad headache or something while trying to work on this game.
Man , that is one long post - that starts off insulting a lot of people in this thread. Multiple times. You really are too damn angry about . . . people believing that Sakurai failed to properly communicate the situation of Ridley? I would take a step back and calm down. Anyways , It's been explained multiple times now why the pyrosphere thing built hype up for Ridley as a character , not a Stage boss. The fact that so many people thought it was teasing for Ridley shows miscommunication happened somewhere along the line (Or Ridley will come out on Wii U version) .

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Man , that is one long post - that starts off insulting a lot of people in this thread. Multiple times. You really are too damn angry about . . . people believing that Sakurai failed to properly communicate the situation of Ridley? I would take a step back and calm down. Anyways , It's been explained multiple times now why the pyrosphere thing built hype up for Ridley as a character , not a Stage boss. The fact that so many people thought it was teasing for Ridley shows miscommunication happened somewhere along the line (Or Ridley will come out on Wii U version) .
This is exactly the point, it doesn't matter if someone has decided that they must be a genius for deducing that they were teasing Ridley as a stage boss, if there are people who were clearly confused, and believed otherwise based on official Nintendo communication, and they failed to clear up the confusion, that's on Nintendo, particularly when Nintendo had been gaming us left, right, centre and even in a new, yet undescribed direction that we shall henceforth call charlie.

This is the thing though, it's the fools call. Those who were on the "right" side of the guess are now on their high horse, when their side is the exact one that should just be quiet and peaceful about it, as they've not been hurt by it, and to be honest you should never, and I mean never, gloat about an exclusion for any reason, as the inclusion of a character is never of issue to a person, but the exclusion can be.

On the logic to keep in mind though, when considering the number of "disconfirmations" we had of characters like Toon Link and Palutena, as well as all the games Sakurai had been playing, including Meta Knight even, the fact that Ridley was teased with just a shadow and noting boss characters seemed to many to be the same kind of gaming. The confusion is more than justifiable. Even taking it as going both ways, there was always going to be the "foolish side", but like with anything is the logic behind the debate and justification that is notable, not what the actual result is. If you ask someone to play the Monty Hall game, and they succeed by staying with their original guess "because they got a gut feeling", they are still using poor logic, even though they lucked out.

There are people who are going to be justifiably angry, and that even includes me, not out of any care for Ridley (personally I don't even think that outright popularity should be that big a determination), but because based on what they'd previously done, not clearly up Ridley only lead to the largest inclusion community left being burned, and burned terribly by the final roster for absolutely no reason, and seemingly only to hype up what is the most pointless looking gimmick included in this game so far. If it were a late late thing, maybe teasing him 2-3 weeks back, that wouldn't have been so terrible, but leaving them speculating for over a year before crushing their hopes and dreams in that way is down right disgusting, and I think Nintendo handled this whole affair terribly.

I don't know, maybe Ridley is in for the Wii U version in some strange link system they're trying to push to move some Wii Us (like Mario Golf's for example), maybe he's planned big ticket DLC, maybe Sakurai and the team subsist on the tears of their fans, who knows. But if Smash 4's roster remains as it is without Ridley, they screwed with a lot of people for little more than hype and giggles it seems.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
There was certainly no K.Rool or Mewtwo teasing. The Kritter Trophy kept showing up randomly and the sillouhette of Greninja didn't look like Mewtwo to me.

Ridley was teased as a boss. "Ridley is a boss" was the most obvious conclusion people could draw from that segment but some people were hopeful and the speculation got really out of hand until people became really certain of some things. From there it snowballed.

At least that's how it all seems. I don't think there has been any intentional teasing for these characters.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
This is exactly the point, it doesn't matter if someone has decided that they must be a genius for deducing that they were teasing Ridley as a stage boss, if there are people who were clearly confused, and believed otherwise based on official Nintendo communication, and they failed to clear up the confusion, that's on Nintendo, particularly when Nintendo had been gaming us left, right, centre and even in a new, yet undescribed direction that we shall henceforth call charlie.

This is the thing though, it's the fools call. Those who were on the "right" side of the guess are now on their high horse, when their side is the exact one that should just be quiet and peaceful about it, as they've not been hurt by it, and to be honest you should never, and I mean never, gloat about an exclusion for any reason, as the inclusion of a character is never of issue to a person, but the exclusion can be.

On the logic to keep in mind though, when considering the number of "disconfirmations" we had of characters like Toon Link and Palutena, as well as all the games Sakurai had been playing, including Meta Knight even, the fact that Ridley was teased with just a shadow and noting boss characters seemed to many to be the same kind of gaming. The confusion is more than justifiable. Even taking it as going both ways, there was always going to be the "foolish side", but like with anything is the logic behind the debate and justification that is notable, not what the actual result is. If you ask someone to play the Monty Hall game, and they succeed by staying with their original guess "because they got a gut feeling", they are still using poor logic, even though they lucked out.

There are people who are going to be justifiably angry, and that even includes me, not out of any care for Ridley (personally I don't even think that outright popularity should be that big a determination), but because based on what they'd previously done, not clearly up Ridley only lead to the largest inclusion community left being burned, and burned terribly by the final roster for absolutely no reason, and seemingly only to hype up what is the most pointless looking gimmick included in this game so far. If it were a late late thing, maybe teasing him 2-3 weeks back, that wouldn't have been so terrible, but leaving them speculating for over a year before crushing their hopes and dreams in that way is down right disgusting, and I think Nintendo handled this whole affair terribly.

I don't know, maybe Ridley is in for the Wii U version in some strange link system they're trying to push to move some Wii Us (like Mario Golf's for example), maybe he's planned big ticket DLC, maybe Sakurai and the team subsist on the tears of their fans, who knows. But if Smash 4's roster remains as it is without Ridley, they screwed with a lot of people for little more than hype and giggles it seems.
Sakurai subsist on the tears of the fans is the correct answer, he in fact hates us all.

D

Deleted member

Sakurai subsist on the tears of the fans is the correct answer, he in fact hates us all.
I highly doubt that. He may not be perfect, but I still think he's a good director overall. Perhaps we just need someone else to decide the roster.(If sakurai even does that in the first place, I'm not sure.)

PeterJude

Smash Ace
There was certainly no K.Rool or Mewtwo teasing. The Kritter Trophy kept showing up randomly and the sillouhette of Greninja didn't look like Mewtwo to me.

Ridley was teased as a boss. "Ridley is a boss" was the most obvious conclusion people could draw from that segment but some people were hopeful and the speculation got really out of hand until people became really certain of some things. From there it snowballed.

At least that's how it all seems. I don't think there has been any intentional teasing for these characters.
Nintendo always cleared up such confusion, even for minor things that were painfully obvious, including things like the Rayman trophy (stated to just be a trophy, and not even their own render), various Assist Trophies, etc. The difference here is that they didn't, and kept throwing little hints around for Ridley. If you read everything they gave us at first glance, Toon Link, Palutena and Meta Knight (and a few others) were disconfirmed by Sakurai himself. They gamed people, and they assumed they wouldn't be so evasive about the shadow, and the naming, if they weren't doing it for a playable character.

They'd also given just enough information to "analyse" and so people did, found it to be quite a small character for a Boss (about Bowser sized) and noted that it moved like a character, not a boss. This led people to thinking that Sakurai was playing one of his famous games with the Ridley supporters, and usually at this point of speculation exploding, we'd get Nintendo tell us quietly that no, he's just a Boss, and Sakurai would confirm it for us. Instead we got radio silence on the matter right up to release.

So again, even if you've declared yourself a genius and think anyone who would try and read more into evasive showings of things by a designer who liked to game people are idiots, there was confusion generated, and that is something Nintendo had a responsibility (having caused it) to stop from festering if it were amounting to nothing (which it ultimately seems to have).

Gustoic

Smash Rookie
My only real complaint about Ridley is how downgraded he is if not playable.
As a playable character, I know I have to take a size cut and a speed/power reduction in return for getting to be the big bad space pirate.

As a boss though he's less than what he was in Brawl.
Ridley is supposed to be lithe, quick and relentless.
From what we saw in the small clip, he was no bigger than Bowser, slow as hell and his only offensive gesture - a grab - was broken by Pikachu.
For a boss character that is less than hype, it's more like insulting if I had to equate it to anything.

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Nintendo always cleared up such confusion, even for minor things that were painfully obvious, including things like the Rayman trophy (stated to just be a trophy, and not even their own render), various Assist Trophies, etc. The difference here is that they didn't, and kept throwing little hints around for Ridley.
What little hints? Beyond the shadow on Pyrosphere he was never referred to directly again.
If you read everything they gave us at first glance, Toon Link, Palutena and Meta Knight (and a few others) were disconfirmed by Sakurai himself. They gamed people, and they assumed they wouldn't be so evasive about the shadow, and the naming, if they weren't doing it for a playable character.
I don't see how that's Nintendo's fault. Speculation got out of hand. Nintendo isn't obligated to clear up every little thing and the majority of people thought that Ridley was a boss. To them it probably didn't need further clarification.
They'd also given just enough information to "analyse" and so people did, found it to be quite a small character for a Boss (about Bowser sized) and noted that it moved like a character, not a boss. This led people to thinking that Sakurai was playing one of his famous games with the Ridley supporters, and usually at this point of speculation exploding, we'd get Nintendo tell us quietly that no, he's just a Boss, and Sakurai would confirm it for us. Instead we got radio silence on the matter right up to release.
Again, they probably thought it didn't need further clarification but I'm just giving conjecture.
So again, even if you've declared yourself a genius and think anyone who would try and read more into evasive showings of things by a designer who liked to game people are idiots, there was confusion generated, and that is something Nintendo had a responsibility (having caused it) to stop from festering if it were amounting to nothing (which it ultimately seems to have).
Sigh. No, I don't think I'm a genius and I don't think people are stupid for getting swept up in hype and speculation. I just think that suggesting that fans were mislead is wrong and that fans should take some responsibility for not keeping their own expectations in check.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Because Sakurai knows English and goes on English Smash Bros forums to see what characters people in the west want.

People need to really stop and think, does Sakurai know how popular this character is? Although I think Sakurai is aware that there is a lot of Mewtwo fans, I don't think he is aware of Ridley or K Rool fans.

Last edited:

Kuzeele

Smash Cadet
Oh boy, what am I getting myself into..

I'm going to put this shortly, first, King K.Rool is NOT owned by Rare, I've had people argue that with me and I had to constantly tell them he's owned by Nintendo, he just hasn't had any major roles in a while

secondly, I do believe Sakurai should've discomfirmed Ridley straight away if he's not playable, instead of teasing him with no mention of his name, either way I'm still happy with lots of characters on the final ( or is it? ) roster.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Every time I read one of the Ridley's supporters statements, I cringe at their delusional thickheadedness. It's nothing but lunacy. Pure irrational, deluded, crockpot lunacy. Before you Ridley supporters start to hate on me, I will tell you that I too, was once a supporter for Ridley as a character and am a big Metroid fan. However, I only was hoping him to be a character when it was sensible. After the direct, all rational common sense of Ridley being a playable went down the toilet. I chuckle at all your so-called "evidence" of Ridley being a playable character looked like some laughable bull**** that I'd read at a crazy Illuminati or 9/11 "Truther" website.
It helps your point if you don't lace it with ad hominem. I'm not responding to this paragraph, because it's literally just ad hominem.

Knowing how irrational and warped your delusional subhuman "minds" are, you probably won't agree with my statement, but it was pretty obvious that all this sadness and anger should have erupted out of us in April, but then the people who still wanted Ridley as a character deluded themselves with insane "evidence" denying the simple truth that Ridley would be a stage boss.
More ad hominem. You aren't getting any brownie points like that, I suggest you stop. You just make yourself sound ridiculous.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that in the direct, it was obviously shown that Ridley was only a boss, as he was talked about during the boss segment. Perhaps it could've been a cop-out but the subtitles clearly said "OTHER BOSS CHARACTERS." In other words, Sakurai was giving us a sort of Neon sign saying that Ridley is clearly a boss. I can not comprehend the sort of deluded loony mind that would automatically interpret this obvious barely-hint as "character teasing." As for why Ridley is only a shadow and why Ridley's boss showing is seemingly vague, it's to hype him up as a boss, making the viewer wonder what will Ridley try to do to me at Pyrosphere? So the real question wasn't if Ridley was a boss or not, rather, it was "What kind of boss are we looking at?"
In hindsight, it was a neon sign. The shadow, the slowness, size and choppiness of the shadow that is more reminiscent of a playable character whether you care to acknowledge it or not leaves more than enough room for ambiguity regarding his role. The fact that Ridley's boss showing was vague in this way wasn't a character tease, but it left enough ambiguity for people to be able to logically believe that he could still have a chance to be playable. If you believe otherwise, you're using massive hindsight bias because the shadow in the direct looked nothing like any boss character I've ever seen, let alone in a Smash Bros. game.

There's nothing wrong with bosses, and I'm excited for the mechanic myself, if a bit miffed that the character I wanted most was left out to showcase such a mechanic. As for hyping, it's not impossible to hype up a boss character at all. To hype up such a highly-requested character wanted to be playable as a boss rather than the plethora of others that could've been picked that people would have just accepted and gotten excited for the new mechanic is very questionable, however. Because the shadow was so playable character-like, too, I'd be shocked if people didn't still believe.

Just because you all think stage hazards are uncompetetive, you automatically think they suck, which is pure arrogance. You must be selfish to think that being a stage hazard is bad just because they aren't tournament legal. News Flash: there's far more to Smash than playable characters and platforms. My point in saying this is that just because bosses don't give you hype doesn't mean everyone isn't hyped by bosses.
What...? I'm a Ridley supporter that supported him after the Stage Boss tease, and labeling us as that literally makes no sense. I just... what? Not all Ridley fans hate stage bosses because they're like that, and I shouldn't really even have to say that... and why would anyone hate them for that anyway? There's Final Destination versions of all the stages for competitive players. I love items and the idea of stage bosses, and I'm a supporter of Ridley. The main point was that Ridley as a stage boss doesn't give us hype because he's highly requested to be playable, and because he's been a boss before. Hell, he's been a boss in this exact stage in Dead or Alive Dimensions, another fighting game. Nothing of this is a new concept for Ridley. But, really... grouping the Ridley fanbase and the competitive fanbase just completely astounds me. I don't see the link anywhere.

I will most likely get disliked for saying this, but I feel that Ridley fits being a boss much better than being a playable character in Smash. The major reason for this is because of Ridley acts in combat. Ridley is not usually a ground fighter, (though he can be quite adept at grounded close-quarters combat when he needs to, to say the least) but a fierce foe in the air.
Nah, man. That's cool. Ridley does work well as a boss. Most people hypothesised that playable Ridley would be the opposite of Little Mac, good in the air but with a weaker ground game. All the same, he works very well as a boss like that. I mean, the Direct didn't exactly showcase these properties with the shadow, but still.

Ridley fly's with extreme speed and maneuverability, and that wouldn't work out as a playable character, because he'd then become overpowered and banned from competitive play. His flight ability and speed would be so cheap that he'd make Brawl's Meta Knight look tame.
By that logic, Ganondorf wouldn't be able to be KO'd by anyone but Master Sword-wielding Link, and Palutena wouldn't be able to be playable because she's a super OP Goddess. Being fast and able to fly would never hurt his chances, because he's done it all as a boss. As a playable character, he would be nerfed in those areas. I'm surprised I had to say this at all, as well.

Ridley is also insanely large; in all canonical appearances from Zero Mission to Fusion, Ridley is large enough to have Samus, a woman who is tall in her own right, almost fit in the palm of his hand.
Um, what? Palm of his hand?

Unlike Bowser where he can be large human sized, such as in Mario Party, Ridley is usually a consistent size throughout the Metroid series. Metroid is a more realistic game then Mario, so sizes in that game should be taken more seriously.
But this isn't Metroid. This is Smash. Plus, Ridley isn't a consistent size throughout the Metroid series. He's smaller in Super Metroid than he is in Zero Mission and Fusion, and even in Metroid Prime 3 he goes from being huge and able to fit Samus in his palm as Meta Ridley to not-so-huge as Omega Ridley in the leviathan. On a side note, Ridley is one of the most consistently small bosses in the Metroid series, too. He's usually roughly double Samus' height, which isn't too bad at all.

As a Ridley fan I also like that he's a boss then a playable character, as that shows that he's too powerful to fight the playable cast on their level. As a boss, he can be his true humoungus self and unleash his true OP potential that he's exerted in the Metroid series.
But Ridley would get his ass kicked by Samus, probably Palutena, Ganondorf, and even Sonic. On a side note, he's not really being his OP self if literally everyone can damage him with so much as a punch, which they'll be able to with him as a stage boss. Metroid weaponry is around the terawatt level, which he can take consistently. Judging by that, no matter how he's portrayed in Smash, it's not portraying him right.

As for all the disappointment of Ridley not being a character, you have no one to blame but yourselves. I'll admit, I was angry when Ridley was deconfirmed back in April when it was sensible to be sad about such a thing. But since then, the people in denial who remained as playable Ridley supporters than created insane crackpot conspiracies as to why Ridley might be playable.
See first response.

So the way he moves is slow and is similar to how you think a playable character would move, big whoop. We barely knew anything about the game, how could we know for sure what a playable character would or wouldn't be?
It wasn't similar to how we THINK a playable character would move, it was similar to how playable characters move. We knew that because we'd seen playable characters in action already.

Grabbing Pikachu doesn't prove anything, as Ridley grabbed Samus in Brawl and Other M, he could just do that as a boss. As for why he moved slowly in his shadow, he might just be looking for characters to pick up. What I'm trying to say here is that none of the movement of the shadow actually pointed to a playable character, it was only strange because Ridley is usually quite swift while attacking.
He grabbed Samus as part of a cutscene in Brawl. In Other M, if he grabbed Samus he would instantly shift and drag her against the wall. In the clip, he supposedly grabbed Pikachu, held on for a few seconds doing nothing, Pikachu broke free and jumped free, and he continued on. It pretty much all hinted towards a playable character, actually. The animation was seriously choppy like a playable character's, he moved incredibly slowly (and if a boss was going to pick someone up, it would likely swoop down and do it, not slowly float across to perform the most easy to see coming grab ever), and he didn't attack for the entire time he was on-screen.

Sakurai never hinted that Ridley would be a character, nor was he trying to tease the fans. By your demented logic, Metal Face had an even larger chance of being a playable character than Ridley, as he appeared in a trailer, where playable characters actually appeared in, and we only saw his shadow. "Nothing about his shadow says boss yet!"
More insulting! Surprise me some more. Metal Face wasn't a popular request to be playable. People doubted Ridley because he's a highly requested character and Nintendo likely know that, so they could have given us the clip in the direct to throw us off and make the payout even more sweet.

Why was Pyrosphere unusable at the demo, then? This might also be the same reason why Ridley's movement is unusual in his shadow: because Ridley wasn't finished yet, and at this point in time, they're still working on the Wii U version, and as a boss, they're giving Ridley a lot of care because of how iconic he is.
This is still ridiculous a sentiment. When Ridley was shown, it had been months since the original Pyrosphere tease. The development team aren't so incompetent as to go "Pyrosphere complete, let's put Ridley on the backburner!" and then in April go "Oh dear, April's rolled around! Better quickly make an unfinished version of Ridley and throw him in at the end!". If Ridley was incomplete, they either would have delayed showing him until he was complete or they would have shown another, actually complete boss. Since there are multiple bosses, they wouldn't be only finishing the second in-game boss four months before Japanese 3DS release.

Though many of the desperate Ridley supporters compared his situation to that of Zero Suit Samus, Palutena or Toon Link, there is a major difference in Ridley's case. Unlike Palutena or Toon Link, where we saw Palutena's statue, that didn't ever prove her to be playable. Nothing was said about Palutena or Toon Link being unplayable. Toon Link being able to have Alfonzo operate the train for him is not comparable to Ridley, as operating the train isn't that important compared to being a stage boss. Lastly, right after Sakurai said that ZSS would not appear in this iteration of Smash Bros., he immediately told us that that statement was just a ruse, unlike Ridley's situation, where Sakurai was more serious in saying that a certain someone who would appear as a boss in Pyrosphere.
Nothing was ever actually said about Ridley definitely not being playable, nor as definitely a boss on Pyrosphere. It was a vague implication. "Other boss character appearances". It was definitely alluding to Ridley as a boss, but in a vague enough way that it was still possible to take it the other way. Just because you say it doesn't make it so; it wasn't as desperate or far-fetched as you make it out to be to compare Ridley to them, although I will agree that he wasn't very comparable to Toon Link or Zero Suit Samus. Palutena was more similar than those, however.

I bet from Sakurai's POV, he thought people would be overjoyed to find out that Ridley would appear in the Pyrosphere stage. You may then try to rebuke this and say "but when we were confused about other characters like Chrom, they told us that they weren't characters. Why not Ridley?" My answer to this argument is that they were actually vague for characters who seemed to be possible as characters, such as Chrom who was just part of a Final Smash. Unlike Chrom, Ridley wasn't in a reveal trailer, and in many of the reveal trailers for SSB4, there tend to be many playable characters in them. Ridley was in the bosses section, or in Japanese, it was "other boss gimmicks."
Ridley wasn't in the bosses section, because it doesn't exist. He was in the Yellow Devil section. As for the vagueness, it's irrelevant to the clearing up of situations; people were still believing and creating false hype around Ridley, and Nintendo didn't step down to tell them to stop creating false hype where they did for others like Chrom. The only link to vagueness was that the shadow in the clip itself was vague, which allowed the false hype to begin in the first place.

The most likely reason why Sakurai didn't flat out say "RIDLEY IS A F^%&ING BOSS YOU MORONS" is because he probably thinks his consumer base is actually has the common sense and intelligence to get the gist of what he was saying. He was trying to have fun by giving us a sneak preview of an important boss, he doesn't want to hold you by the hand and spell it out for you, unless it was an honest mistake, such as the Chrom incident. Sakurai thinks that his fans are intelligent humans with common sense. I'm sure he'd feel like his fan base was a bunch of idiots if he had to out of his way to point out the obvious when he instead wanted to hint it out to them. The likely reason he never said anything about Ridley after the Direct was because he thought good of us.
Christ, you are so heavily biased against believing after April and it's showing everywhere in your argument. The boss isn't an important boss, and this can be seen because Ridley isn't in both versions of the game. He's not on the level of the Yellow Devil. As for intelligence, it's kinda... completely and utterly irrelevant? Ridley's shadow was ambiguous because it was more akin to a playable character than it was to a boss character, which allowed false hype to rise. Sakurai should have told people to stop. Intelligence and holding hands with us have nothing to do with it; there was more than enough reason for people to believe he could still be playable after the direct, and if there wasn't the thread wouldn't have continued.

Please, do not blame Sakurai for your disappointment in the roster. You are to blame for your unrealistic expectations. You make up these elaborate theories right after the possibility has been thrown away, and as I predicted, many people whined about it. Sad. Just sad. If you weren't so warped or delusional, you could see that this game is much better than you think it is. Stop blaming Sakurai for everything. This guy worked really hard to make this masterpiece.
Sakurai did put his all into it, I agree. However, that doesn't mean people can't be upset with the final product and it definitely doesn't mean people aren't allowed to complain. He's far from perfect, even if it is a really good game. Please try to refrain from calling people warped and delusional if you don't agree with them, also. I agree that a lot of people are seriously selling it short because of what it's missing, but that doesn't give you the right to be condescending.

He even once mentioned that he got a bad headache or something while trying to work on this game.
This is irrelevant and doesn't mean people should suddenly not be able to complain about the game because Sakurai got a headache one time throughout the five years it spent in development.

Stop being so insulting, it only makes you less credible as someone who is arguing. Argue from a less aggressive viewpoint and people will take you a lot more seriously.

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
I noticed that creepy Duck Hunt Dog supporter is going around acting superior just because his character made it in. As if his characters wasn't confirmed, he wouldn't be semi disappointed. Hey, I got news for you buddy. I have about 7 mains in the roster. Sure, I'm annoyed that Sakurai HAS mislead 2 of the big 3 and wouldn't at least add the actual DARK Samus if not Ridley. Other then that, I actually appreciated majority of the roster just as much as the new features and detailed new stages he added to the series. Nothing wrong with having sympathy for the supporters that supported those characters before me. Also, I am the only that's disgusted by those tear jokes? I never really got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom