• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vote Wonder Red! - Wonder-Red's Last Stand?! Final Days of the Fighter Ballot

Super FOG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FOG2006
3DS FC
4253-3752-2801
Problem is, the Wonderful Ones are always equipped with their signature weapon that are always at sight, seeing Red using Unite Sword with no sword whatsoever in Red's figurine will be pretty awkward.

if it were /just/ wonder red, this is what it would be. But I know if Wonder Red makes it then Sakurai will give him the powers of all the other Wonders.
He can easily add Wonder-Blue as a semi-clone, using Unite Sword, of course.

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
I don't think it's that much of an issue really. I mean the fact that he doesn't have them is better than say, Blue getting in and suddenly using weapons other than his sword when it's RIGHT THERE. Red's being empty handed easily allows the other Unite Morphs to comfortably work with his model and they could even work as pseudo-digital extensions on the Vulcan Knuckles.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Bringing this back, anyone else feel that Wonder Red could potentially be one of those "five empty slots" that people found in the data? Then again any character could be that. I guess i mostly feel this way because of how Wonderful 101 is represented in Smash.

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
While it could be any character I feel that Wonder Red has a good chance of being one of those five, though with DLC existing in any capacity it's not like they are definitive by any means. (just the same as these royu 'leaks' are far from definitive, my bet is that they'll be mii costumes or maybe roy will get to be a marth/lucina alt skin)

Sakurai and Kamiya are friends, he's a known fan of their games, and Wonderful 101 is STILL the only game without a playable rep that gets it's own Trophy Box with all 7 Colorful Wonders AND Music? While he's by no means a sure bet, I feel that being hopeful for him is not by any means foolish.

Last edited:
Honestly i think its someone else. Im assuming the 5 are characters already planned from the beginning and im not seeimg red beung one.

I do think red has an ok chance but not really someone that early in development

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
I personally doubt the five slots mean anything at all. It makes adding in data later on a litle easier sure, but it's not like they couldn't just make room for more data in general. Besides, the notion of there being seven total characters planned for DLC before the ballot is even considered seems a bit farfetched doesn't it?

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Just for those to get an idea of what clearly inspired The Wonderful 101.

Used the Bayonetta Fantasy Zone clip to represent how TW101 has shout outs to old games and to represent the Bayo influence.
Used Gokaiger to show off all the old Super Sentai.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I never played Wonderful 101 though i have a Wii u ( duh ) and seeing these cool heroes makes me want to digitally buy it. Do you think i should? Like maybe a good TL;DR on what the game basically is?

I'll probably even vote for him!

Last edited by a moderator:
I never played Wonderful 101 though i have a Wii u ( duh ) and seeing these cool heroes makes me want to digitally buy it. Do you think i should? Like maybe a good TL;DR on what the game basically is?

Yesyesyesyesyes

Wonderful 101 is basically a weird beat em up kind of game but with big enemies and big weapons made out of people (lol). its also extremely fun.

Also if you like games that are ridiculous and over the top you will love it.

Its an extremely fun game i highly recommend.

Tldr. Punch robot aliens with a fist made up of light construct made out of people while everything explodes.
There is more than punching. Swords guns bombs hammer etc

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero

Yesyesyesyesyes

Wonderful 101 is basically a weird beat em up kind of game but with big enemies and big weapons made out of people (lol). its also extremely fun.

Also if you like games that are ridiculous and over the top you will love it.

Its an extremely fun game i highly recommend.

Tldr. Punch robot aliens with a fist made up of light construct made out of people while everything explodes.
There is more than punching. Swords guns bombs hammer etc
Also the story is actually really enjoyable and genuinely funny on top of the fantastic gameplay!
All the reasons listed here are great. So yes. You should buy The Wonderful 101!

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
So, seeing as Sakurai wants to add as much DLC as possible, what would you want to be included along side Wonder Red and his potential stage.

We can only hope this means good things for us in the future. Until then UNITE VOTE!
Of course.

Last edited:

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
Honestly, just that (and King K. Rool at a different time) is more than enough for me. I'd love to see assorted W101 music and a Blue and Green outfit for swordfighter and gunner miis respectively, perhaps with a White for Brawlers as well.

Krutentier7

Smash Rookie
I have some general ideas regarding Wonder Red's playstyle in Smash. This is not a full moveset, just a basic concept:

- Being a character from an action game, Wonder Red should be all about combos. While comboing is definitely possible in Smash 4, it's not a gameplay element that is heavily emphasised compared to other fighting games. Wonder Red should be a character that can do follow-up attacks and keep attacking the enemy very easily. He should be very quick, with moves that are smooth and pretty much lagless.

- To balance this out, he should also be one of the weakest characters in the game in terms of physical strength. This makes a lot of sense when you look at The Wonderful 101: the heroes are fairly weak on their own and only pose a real threat as a group. I want Wonder Red to be mostly on his own in Smash, since that meshes well with the idea of having a combo-heavy character.

Specials:

Neutral B: Wonder Cyclone - A roundhouse attack similar to Bowser's / DK's recovery. Unlike those, Wonder Red does not gain altitude while executing this move - his aerial momentum will be halted to a certain extent. Horizontal movement is possible. Traps the enemy and hits multiple times. Can be used in succession in the air.

Up B: Wonder Rising - A straightforward uppercut that acts as a decent recovery tool and launches enemies into the air / pulls them toward Wonder Red. What makes it unique is that Normals and Specials (other than Wonder Rising, obviously) are still possible after execution (similar to how Sonic does not enter the "freefall" state after doing his Up B). For example, you can launch an enemy into the air with Wonder Rising and then follow up with Wonder Cyclone.

Side B: Wonder Stinger - A gap-closing punch with decent range, similar to Falcon Dive / Kick. Homes in on the enemy; if, for example, Wonder Red is in the air and the enemy diagonally below him, Wonder Stinger will send him straight there. Can be used in succession in the air, although it is somewhat laggy (meaning that Wonder Red will lose altitude every time he uses it). If no enemy is within its range, Wonder Stinger will send Wonder Red straight forward.

Down B: Hero Counter - A counter move. Compared to other, similar moves in the game, the time frame for using Hero Counter is very strict; it is only active for a very short amount of time. Doesn't do a lot of damage; instead, it staggers the enemy briefly and opens them up for a combo / Smash attack. Halts momentum when used in the air.

Final Smash: Unlimited Form - Wonder Red transforms and gets help from his companions. Every move is now accompanied by Unite Hand, a gigantic fist made up of the other Wonderful Ones. Extremely strong, though his moveset remains the same. Only active for a short amount of time.

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I have some general ideas regarding Wonder Red's playstyle in Smash. This is not a full moveset, just a basic concept:

- Being a character from an action game, Wonder Red should be all about combos. While comboing is definitely possible in Smash 4, it's not a gameplay element that is heavily emphasised compared to other fighting games. Wonder Red should be a character that can do follow-up attacks and keep attacking the enemy very easily. He should be very quick, with moves that are smooth and pretty much lagless.

- To balance this out, he should also be one of the weakest characters in the game in terms of physical strength. This makes a lot of sense when you look at The Wonderful 101: the heroes are fairly weak on their own and only pose a real threat as a group. I want Wonder Red to be mostly on his own in Smash, since that meshes well with the idea of having a combo-heavy character.

Specials:

Neutral B: Wonder Cyclone - A roundhouse attack similar to Bowser's / DK's recovery. Unlike those, Wonder Red does not gain altitude while executing this move - his aerial momentum will be halted to a certain extent. Horizontal movement is possible. Traps the enemy and hits multiple times. Can be used in succession in the air.

Up B: Wonder Rising - A straightforward uppercut that acts as a decent recovery tool and launches enemies into the air / pulls them toward Wonder Red. What makes it unique is that Normals and Specials (other than Wonder Rising, obviously) are still possible after execution (similar to how Sonic does not enter the "freefall" state after doing his Up B). For example, you can launch an enemy into the air with Wonder Rising and then follow up with Wonder Cyclone.

Side B: Wonder Stinger - A gap-closing punch with decent range, similar to Falcon Dive / Kick. Homes in on the enemy; if, for example, Wonder Red is in the air and the enemy diagonally below him, Wonder Stinger will send him straight there. Can be used in succession in the air, although it is somewhat laggy (meaning that Wonder Red will lose altitude every time he uses it). If no enemy is within it's range, Wonder Stinger will send Wonder Red straight forward.

Down B: Hero Counter - A counter move. Compared to other, similar moves in the game, the time frame for using Hero Counter is very strict; it is only active for a very short amount of time. Doesn't do a lot of damage; instead, it staggers the enemy briefly and opens them up for a combo / Smash attack. Halts momentum when used in the air.

Final Smash: Unlimited Form - Wonder Red transforms and gets help from his companions. Every move is now accompanied by Unite Hand, a gigantic fist made up of the other Wonderful Ones. Extremely strong, though his moveset remains the same. Only active for a short amount of time.
That's a great moveset! Although I find it really interesting that you're not going with the energy hand right away.

Krutentier7

Smash Rookie
That's a great moveset! Although I find it really interesting that you're not going with the energy hand right away.
Thanks! Again, I felt like making him a combo-heavy character fits Wonder Red's "heritage" (with W101 being a crazy action game and all) and would make him pretty unique compared to the rest of the cast. Naturally, this had to be balanced out somewhat, so it makes sense for him to be on his own.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Thanks! Again, I felt like making him a combo-heavy character fits Wonder Red's "heritage" (with W101 being a crazy action game and all) and would make him pretty unique compared to the rest of the cast. Naturally, this had to be balanced out somewhat, so it makes sense for him to be on his own.
I'm going to add your moveset to the opening post.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
In order to get the hype train for this character in full force. I will be starting a full play through of The Wonderful 101 starting tomorrow (April 26th) I will be streaming it around 5pm Central so for sure come in full force and let's all gush on why this character would be a phenomenal choice.

My Twitch channel is http://www.twitch.tv/ssguy

(Please no spoilers in the comments. I will be showing this game off to those who have never heard of The Wonderful 101 and my goal is to get them extremely hyped for something they never seen before.)

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
You're doing a good deed SSGuy, more people need to know more about this game.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
You guys all know that literally nobody wants Wonder Red in smash no more than me, but he doesn't have the fan vote, sadly.
Votes aren't everything. Judging by fan response to the game, moveset potential, a possible sequel on the horizon and Sakurai's apparent interest in the characters, I'd say Red has more than enough merits to get in of his own accord.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I have a lot less doubt now that Sakurai wants to add as much DLC as possible "for the fans". There's still the chance he can't get in but i seriously doubt that he'll be left out given how Sakurai appears to like the Wonderful 101. Now if he's playable or not is a different story all together.

In order to get the hype train for this character in full force. I will be starting a full play through of The Wonderful 101 starting tomorrow (April 26th) I will be streaming it around 5pm Central so for sure come in full force and let's all gush on why this character would be a phenomenal choice.

My Twitch channel is http://www.twitch.tv/ssguy

(Please no spoilers in the comments. I will be showing this game off to those who have never heard of The Wonderful 101 and my goal is to get them extremely hyped for something they never seen before.)
I'll make a twitch account just for this occasion! :awesome:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Good grief. I just can't seem to keep up with this thread, can I:p? Anyway, I figure I'll throw my hat in the ring on a few recent topics.

About Wonder-Red "borrowing" Unite Energy from teammates in order to create their Unite Morphs, I don't believe that's how it works. If I remember correctly, Unite Morphs take up an immense amount of bubble memory, so, in order to maintain maximum efficiency, Wonderful Ones' CENTINEL-Suits are limited to one Unite Morph per suit. If that's true, then the same type of Unite Energy is shared among all Unite Morphs, rather than weapon-specific types of Unite Energy existing. However, all of that said, I still think that Wonder-Red's moveset should incorporate all of the Unite Morphs. In my opinion, it would make him a much more interesting character, and since we already know that Smash doesn't always follow a character's canon abilities, I don't think it's completely out of the question for such a thing to actually happen. In fact, knowing Sakurai, it's probably the most likely thing to happen out of the two choices.

Also, @ Super FOG Super FOG , I agree! Jergingha was an incredible villain! He's definitely one of the best characters in The Wonderful 101.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Video is currently being edited. Had to wait a little bit because I forgot I had to work. Anyway, I will upload it when I get a good chance to finish making it.

Good grief. I just can't seem to keep up with this thread, can I:p? Anyway, I figure I'll throw my hat in the ring on a few recent topics.

About Wonder-Red "borrowing" Unite Energy from teammates in order to create their Unite Morphs, I don't believe that's how it works. If I remember correctly, Unite Morphs take up an immense amount of bubble memory, so, in order to maintain maximum efficiency, Wonderful Ones' CENTINEL-Suits are limited to one Unite Morph per suit. If that's true, then the same type of Unite Energy is shared among all Unite Morphs, rather than weapon-specific types of Unite Energy existing. However, all of that said, I still think that Wonder-Red's moveset should incorporate all of the Unite Morphs. In my opinion, it would make him a much more interesting character, and since we already know that Smash doesn't always follow a character's canon abilities, I don't think it's completely out of the question for such a thing to actually happen. In fact, knowing Sakurai, it's probably the most likely thing to happen out of the two choices.

Also, @ Super FOG Super FOG , I agree! Jergingha was an incredible villain! He's definitely one of the best characters in The Wonderful 101.
Glad to see someone else feels the same way on the moveset.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Posted this in the character discussion thread, sums up why I and others support our favourite Wonderful One:

As an ardent supporter of Wonder Red (he's my most-wanted newcomer after Palutena), the fact that the promotion period has ended is one of my main reasons for supporting him. TW101 bombed, big time, in spite of glowing reviews from critics and immense positive reaction from fans - had the game been released a little earlier or Smash a little later, he'd probably have gotten in under similar criteria to what Inkling supporters (again, myself included) are banking on.

Thing is, he missed the window of opportunity by a pretty sizable margin. And that's a tragedy, because not only is TW101 a damn good game, but Red himself was born to be in Smash (this is less an actual argument and more fan gushing, though I do sincerely think that, in terms of moveset potential and creativity, Red's powers speak for themselves). One of the big reasons I and others support him is because he may never get another game: although Kamiya has said he's happy to direct a sequel if Nintendo greenlights it, Nintendo seem understandably reluctant to sanction a sequel to a game that sold about ten copies worldwide. Smash may be his only chance to make another appearance in a big-name vidya before disappearing into obscurity; since Platinum don't own the rights to the IP, and it's highly unlikely Nintendo will get another studio to direct a potential sequel, it's totally in the latter's hands. It's akin to the K. Rool kongtroversy: if he doesn't appear in Smash now, he may never appear in a mainstream title again, and if he does appear in a mainstream title in the near future, it may well be too late to appear in Smash until next time. Granted, Wonder Red fans haven't been waiting over a decade for their favourite character to appear in the roster, but the principle is similar. We've also seen time and time again how Smash can be used as a means of propelling characters from obscure or under-appeciated series into some class of stardom: Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus, Xenoblade and Mother all became substantially more popular after their respective protagonists appeared in Smash. It's not guaranteed to convince Ninty that a sequel is worth the investment, but it'd at least ensure that Red and friends remain in the public interest for the foreseeable future (incidentally, this is the main reason - aside from fan love - that I don't have an issue with there being so much Kid Icarus content in the game - but I digress). This really could be Red's only chance at making it big, at least for the time being. There's every chance Ninty will pick him up at some point down the road, but who's to say whether Kamiya will still be interested at that stage, and whether Smash will still be adding new characters to its roster?

Red's chances are, as I see it, up in the air. He doesn't have nearly the same support that certain other characters have: he will never be K. Rool, Isaac, Ridley, he'll never even be Rayman. He'll always be a cult classic, an unsung hero with a small but dedicated coterie of supporters. If this was purely a popularity contest, Red would be so far behind the competition he'd be spinning doughnuts on the Virgin Victory. The exciting thing about Smash speculation, and by extension the Smash ballot, is that it isn't strictly about popularity: there are other factors that come into play, including moveset potential, importance of the character to their native series and - for better or for worse - interest from Sakurai himself. Red has at least two of those latter attributes, and based on the amount of content TW101 received in this game (two soundtracks and several trophies - it even has its own case in the trophy gallery!), I'd say it's fair game to deduce that Sakurai has at least a passing interest in the game. You could argue he did it as a favour to Kamiya or to promote this one-hit wonder (Wonder One-Hit?) without having to go out and actually make a full-on character, but isn't that how Snake got into Smash (and yes, I know Red is not even close to being the video game deity that Snake is, but again, the circumstances are similar in principle)?

If Red was a third-party IP, I'd still support him, but I'd understand that the chances of him appearing are significantly slimmer than they would be if Nintendo owned the rights to the character. Serendipity be praised, Nintendo do own the rights to the character! It doesn't change his circumstances much, but it at least demonstrates that one potential obstacle in his path is rendered moot. The only thing really barring his entrance now is whether Sakurai wants to take Red on-board and do something wonderful with him. The potential is there, the opportunity is there, the support is there - this could be Red's big chance, and whether or not it works out for us in the end, we have to try. And that's why we support him.

TEAM, UNITE UP!

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I Unite Vote that this should be on the front page of the thread.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Posted this in the character discussion thread, sums up why I and others support our favourite Wonderful One:

As an ardent supporter of Wonder Red (he's my most-wanted newcomer after Palutena), the fact that the promotion period has ended is one of my main reasons for supporting him. TW101 bombed, big time, in spite of glowing reviews from critics and immense positive reaction from fans - had the game been released a little earlier or Smash a little later, he'd probably have gotten in under similar criteria to what Inkling supporters (again, myself included) are banking on.

Thing is, he missed the window of opportunity by a pretty sizable margin. And that's a tragedy, because not only is TW101 a damn good game, but Red himself was born to be in Smash (this is less an actual argument and more fan gushing, though I do sincerely think that, in terms of moveset potential and creativity, Red's powers speak for themselves). One of the big reasons I and others support him is because he may never get another game: although Kamiya has said he's happy to direct a sequel if Nintendo greenlights it, Nintendo seem understandably reluctant to sanction a sequel to a game that sold about ten copies worldwide. Smash may be his only chance to make another appearance in a big-name vidya before disappearing into obscurity; since Platinum don't own the rights to the IP, and it's highly unlikely Nintendo will get another studio to direct a potential sequel, it's totally in the latter's hands. It's akin to the K. Rool kongtroversy: if he doesn't appear in Smash now, he may never appear in a mainstream title again, and if he does appear in a mainstream title in the near future, it may well be too late to appear in Smash until next time. Granted, Wonder Red fans haven't been waiting over a decade for their favourite character to appear in the roster, but the principle is similar. We've also seen time and time again how Smash can be used as a means of propelling characters from obscure or under-appeciated series into some class of stardom: Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus, Xenoblade and Mother all became substantially more popular after their respective protagonists appeared in Smash. It's not guaranteed to convince Ninty that a sequel is worth the investment, but it'd at least ensure that Red and friends remain in the public interest for the foreseeable future (incidentally, this is the main reason - aside from fan love - that I don't have an issue with there being so much Kid Icarus content in the game - but I digress). This really could be Red's only chance at making it big, at least for the time being. There's every chance Ninty will pick him up at some point down the road, but who's to say whether Kamiya will still be interested at that stage, and whether Smash will still be adding new characters to its roster?

Red's chances are, as I see it, up in the air. He doesn't have nearly the same support that certain other characters have: he will never be K. Rool, Isaac, Ridley, he'll never even be Rayman. He'll always be a cult classic, an unsung hero with a small but dedicated coterie of supporters. If this was purely a popularity contest, Red would be so far behind the competition he'd be spinning doughnuts on the Virgin Victory. The exciting thing about Smash speculation, and by extension the Smash ballot, is that it isn't strictly about popularity: there are other factors that come into play, including moveset potential, importance of the character to their native series and - for better or for worse - interest from Sakurai himself. Red has at least two of those latter attributes, and based on the amount of content TW101 received in this game (two soundtracks and several trophies - it even has its own case in the trophy gallery!), I'd say it's fair game to deduce that Sakurai has at least a passing interest in the game. You could argue he did it as a favour to Kamiya or to promote this one-hit wonder (Wonder One-Hit?) without having to go out and actually make a full-on character, but isn't that how Snake got into Smash (and yes, I know Red is not even close to being the video game deity that Snake is, but again, the circumstances are similar in principle)?

If Red was a third-party IP, I'd still support him, but I'd understand that the chances of him appearing are significantly slimmer than they would be if Nintendo owned the rights to the character. Serendipity be praised, Nintendo do own the rights to the character! It doesn't change his circumstances much, but it at least demonstrates that one potential obstacle in his path is rendered moot. The only thing really barring his entrance now is whether Sakurai wants to take Red on-board and do something wonderful with him. The potential is there, the opportunity is there, the support is there - this could be Red's big chance, and whether or not it works out for us in the end, we have to try. And that's why we support him.

TEAM, UNITE UP!

That was beautiful. I will add it to the OP!

Top Bottom