• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VLS Felony - Donation Link in First Post

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
I heard that its also additional time if you commit a crime and then travel to another state.

Adi

Smash Lord
Without the police you're going to have a hard time tracking the suspect down. Better learn forensics and a way of accessing police records.

Solid Jake

The Arcanum
Woz's post is amazing.

Yeah.. this really is.. frustrating to have somebody to do something, that we worked incredibly hard to put together.

Were considering bringing it to the police.. but first were trying to figure out when we thinkg it was taken.

felipe1123

Smash Cadet
Maybe it might help to check who left early. It would be exceptionally difficult, I think, to hide $950 throughout a tourney without getting caught, especially one of this magnitude, so yeah.

Hopefully it wasn't some random dude that just came in and saw an envelope full of money , iono how strict your entrance and admittance to the venue was.

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
Woz's post is amazing.

Yeah.. this really is.. frustrating to have somebody to do something, that we worked incredibly hard to put together.

Were considering bringing it to the police.. but first were trying to figure out when we thinkg it was taken.
Bring it to the cops this instant! Let THEM try to decide when it was taken with the information given.

Banks

Smash Hero
there were some people who quite obviously didnt play smash. some older lady with pink hair lewl

the_suicide_fox

Smash Champion
Say it was a fundraiser and it's not considered gambling.

Hopefully, this person will get their karma when it turns out one of the bills is counterfiet and , after taking it to the bank to deposit, they get arrested anyway.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
If the large lockbox is now the most possible time where someone could have just opened it and taken the envelope. You really should be calling or already dealing with the police. Since there is a good chance they may be able to find a fingerprint that isn't yours or the host's crew. You may get lucky and actually get a hit with someone with a record. At the very least you would have done something. The longer you wait the more difficult it will be for the police to do anything.

Sliq

Smash Master
If someone has the gull to steal 1000$, the odds of them having a criminal record is high. I can't imagine someone just deciding to start stealing out of the blue. Then again, they may have gotten away with it in the past. Your only real course of action is either police or a private investigator.

takieddine

Smash Master
I have a feeling whoever did this is not a very active member of this community.

It just doesnt make sense to see someone that loves this game do such a horrible thing to hurt community.

It saddens me that the mages have ruled off an entire group of people because of 1 or a few bad apples.

If anything else besides money was taken, I suggest descriptions be put up so people might see something, one day.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
I am curious about that as well, CogSmooch.
Though someone did suggest saying it was a charity event. Perhaps they went with that?

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'm not entirely sure a Smash tournament falls under gambling, for several reasons.

1)You entry fee doesn't nessasarly go straight to the pot (food, venue, misc expenses).
2)It is a skill based competition

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
I've argued that to lots of people and they still believe otherwise, unfortunately. Hopefully the police understand that, though.

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
AZ, it's a really stupid matter, and I've tried to argue about it to some cops in NJ who also follow this law. It's something they're not going to be understanding about. What's lucky is that OWM researched the CT laws and found that Gambling doesn't fall under legal contests of skill. We're hoping that VLS will count towards as such.

Here are the final conclusions I've come up with on the timeframe.
  • As stated before, when I had given in my money to omegablackmage, he took the money, then wrapped it with the rest of the crews envelope and placed it in the lockbox. What's important is that he didn't have omegawhitemage lock the box right away. At the time, I didn't remember seeing omegawhitemage in the room. I'm going to have to assume that omegablackmage jumped straight to their crew battle, where all the other mages were waiting, leaving a friend who I will remain nameless for now in charge of watching the room.
  • A 20 minute time period passed when the mages weren't in the room. Anonymous unfortunately wasn't paying attention to the room and was playing smash on the TV there. This occurred between 1 PM and 2 PM. At the least, the lockbox was behind the desk, and not hidden in its safeplace.

So there it is. I'm 99% certain that the incident happened in this small time frame, and someone must have been able to place their grubby hands on the lockbox then.

the_suicide_fox

Smash Champion
They'd have to research whether or not what they did was gambling. If they were planning to keep some money for themselves, charity, or expenses then those can nullify that whole idea and it would be perfectly legal. Plus they could always say it was their money that they were going to give out as a prize or something. There's millions of loopholes

EDIT: **** WoZ typing faster than me >.<

Cort

Apple Head
Good luck OWM

Also to those that don't want to bother with that URL (it's a little messed up btw):

(2) "Gambling" means risking any money, credit, deposit or other thing of value for gain contingent in whole or in part upon lot, chance or the operation of a gambling device, but does not include: Legal contests of skill, speed, strength or endurance in which awards are made only to entrants or the owners of entries
Good thing smash is a contest of skill speed strength AND endurance. **** yeah.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
****, I don't even live in connecticut and I nailed that ****.

Actually that is pretty much a universal state law. MLG had to look into that many years ago and it sometimes still gets brought up.

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
Also wanted to mention that when I go to the police tonight I'm having the box printed. Everyone who should've had their hands on the box already have their prints on file which is going to make the police's job much easier. I've also already been in touch with them and they are totally cooperating with us so with any luck once I see them tonight we will have a good idea as to who has done this.

So I say this as a warning, whoever did this WILL be caught. So if this is you, please return our money to us to avoid a criminal conviction. And as I said, I will keep your identity hidden from the public.

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
What's kinda good is that we can actually track down who couldn't have been in the room at the time. If first round of crews were going on at this time, we can look at who were doing their matches and possibly scratch them off the list of suspects.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Hopefully the fingerprinting will net a few suspects. I'm sure some people touched that box though without trying to steal anything. Something to keep in mind.

squaminator

Smash Ace
Wizards has been sanctioning magic tournaments for years, and i'm pretty **** sure that smash is more skill and speed based than magic, or at least speed based.

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
No police in my state can do anything to help. So I guess I'm stuck going to CT to try and resolve the problem.

the_suicide_fox

Smash Champion
OWM, problem is you don't have real names, only aliases. I dunno how much can be done about that. Photos would help better though. Hopefully the person has their prints on file bc of prior arrests.

And I would say that if the person returns the money to drop the charges, but I would still blacklist the person. I wouldn't want whoever did it at my tournament. But he at least won't meet bubba in the state prison

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
OWM, problem is you don't have real names, only aliases. I dunno how much can be done about that. Photos would help better though.
Most people have at least a few other people in the smash community that knows their real name. Except for noobs... The problem is that it's more likely someone that we don't know well.

nuro

Smash Lord
Hopefully the fingerprinting will net a few suspects. I'm sure some people touched that box though without trying to steal anything. Something to keep in mind.
You would have to be stupid to touch a lockbox with money inside of it for no reason. If I saw someone touch that box I would definitely think its suspicious which is what most people should have thought. This means that no one should have touched the box unless they needed to. Only the mages and the culprits prints should be on that box.

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
You would have to be stupid to touch a lockbox with money inside of it for no reason. If I saw someone touch that box I would definitely think its suspicious which is what most people should have thought. This means that no one should have touched the box unless they needed to. Only the mages and the culprits prints should be on that box.
People like touching interesting things. It gives them a feeling of self-worth :chuckle:

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
I like touching my interesting thing because it gives me self-gratification.
LOL Sliq, as funny as that was, i must ask you not to spam my thread plz.

Looks like i'm going to make the trek to CT this wkend and hopefully see what they can do for me. We'll see what happens.

Top Bottom