• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Viability Ratings v2 | Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

HFlash

Future Physician and Sm4sher
NNID
HFlash
If someone speaks of Priority they obvious mean Hitbox:Hurtbox Ratio, Range, disjointness etc.
So stop calling people out if they use the word priority. It's perfectly reasonable to use that term. It works basically exactly the same in most other fighting games as well.
I seriously doubt that, the same person called frame data ambiguous..... not trying to call anyone out, but I am not the only who mentioned this.

@outfoxd You'd also expect that Samus would be much more deadly with her Chozo suit intact, but ironically, the two samuses (or whatever the plural form of Samus is) are almost literally at the opposite ends of the spectrum in this game.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
I was actually losing to Tyrant really badly in friendlies...then I saw Falln play him and play the MU completely differently than how I do, so I copied Falln's style completely and Tyrant wasn't ready for it at all once we ended up playing in tourney, go figure.
Can you describe exactly how you changed your playstyle?

Iron Kraken

Smash Journeyman
Just want to say that removing Dabuz doesn't make Rosalina irrelevant, like would happen to pikachu, zss or mario if you remove Esam, Nairo and Ally.

EVO
25th falln

CEO
17th falln
25th Neos
25th Xaltis

Smashcon
13th Jester
25th Nabster

Paragon
25. Falln
25. Xaltis

LTC3
7th iiGGy
25th Calm Animal(not sure)

Nebolous Prime
5th Snakeee
17th IronKraken

These results are way better than like half of the top tier characters if you remove their best player. Actually in my tournament data the only characters that average 2 or more players in top 32 are sheik, rosalina and diddy.
Surprised I got a mention, but thanks (even though it probably wasn't worth a mention lol)! That was the only tournament I've been to in the last 5 months.

To add to your list, fumbles got 25th place at CEO, and Mr. Rosalina got 9th place at Nebulous Prime 1 (the one I went to with 186 people and a whole bunch of really good players who entered).

Much more notable though, Falln regularly wins tournaments in SoCal, facing stiff competition from TearBear and a bunch of good Meta Knights. Rayquaza also regularly wins tournaments in Michigan.

---

And to go back to her match ups for a second, I definitely think :rosalina:beats :4diddy:pretty hard ever since the nerfs. Keep in mind that pre-patch, Diddy had a GUARANTEED hoo-hah kill against Rosa if she got grabbed around 90-100, which was ridiculous. He was also able to kill Luma with all of his aerials, and kill Rosa ridiculously early in general. But now, he doesn't have the guaranteed hoo-hah KO, he doesn't kill Luma easily, and it can be very hard for him to land his kill set ups. It's a COMPLETELY different match up compared to what it was before the patch. Rosa wins it solidly now.

Rosa also definitely bodies :4fox:. At low %s, a boost grab to up-throw to jab literally does ~36% to Fox, which is pretty lolzy. She edge guards and kills him really easily in general, and Fox just has a hard time dealing with Luma.

So yeah, like I said, Rosa does really well against :4diddy::4fox::4mario::4luigi::4ness:, and she bodies many mid and lower tiers, which means she's always going to be a force in the Smash 4 meta game. It's just that she's never going to be quite at the top because she has losing match ups against several of the top, commonly used characters.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Now that Ito is back in socal I hope he and falln play once again on stream. But lately he's being a waifu POS with lucina, because of this he got sent to losers really early.

Fixed.

Also I'll never understand how Sonic is cancer but Falcon is the crowd favorite.
He's voiced by vegeta.

Sir Tundra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Righteous
3DS FC
2938-7133-5824
The :rosalina: Mu is defintly bad for :4fox: since Rosalina can genrally hinder alot of fox's approach options with luma alone. Not to mention that dumb Up throw to jab shenanigans, Off stage luma desynch edgeguard shenanigans, and Luma can also absorbs Laser's. This is defintly one of fox's worse matchup's. Not sure if it's worse then the :4luigi: MU but it's pretty close.

Fixed.

Also I'll never understand how Sonic is cancer but Falcon is the crowd favorite.
Well you see my dear watson everybody hate's sonic cause of his annoying playstlye and terrible games.

Everybody loves Falcon because of his aggressive playstyle and he's the symbol of manliness.

To many casual/ For glory players Falcon is a full on God

Men and women name their gamecube controllers after him.

Last edited:

juddy96

Smash Lord
while (almost) the only two NA Pikachu's I'm aware of in Z (Vegas, 4th on their PR) & Kenny (MDVA, 16th) have pretty underwhelming results to their name (despite Z being the second best US Pika in late Brawl).
Nitro (NorCal, 13th on PR) is quite good. Dual mains Pika with Luigi.

Also, Paragon had 6 Pikas in Top 64:

ESAM (FL, 13th)
Z (NV, 25th)
Captain L (BC, 33rd)
NCJacobT (SoCal, 33rd)
Nyjin (SoCal, 33rd)
CSymph (NorCal, 49th)

Last edited:

HFlash

NNID
HFlash
Warning Received
People are trying way too hard on these tier lists. Lets be honest the meta at the moment is pretty much:

The Smash 4 Queen
:4sheik:

The Smash 4 Aristocracy
:4diddy::4fox::4luigi::4mario::4metaknight::4ness::4pikachu::rosalina::4sonic::4villager::4zss:

The Royal Court
:4falcon::4darkpit::4pit::4greninja::4lucario::4olimar::4pacman::4peach::4rob::4wario::4yoshi:

The guys guarding the gate
:4bowserjr::4dk::4myfriends:

The Peasants
:4bowser::4charizard::4dedede::4drmario::4duckhunt::4falco::4ganondorf::4gaw::4jigglypuff::4kirby::4littlemac::4link::4lucas::4lucina::4marth::4megaman::4mewtwo::4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword::4palutena::4robinm::4feroy::4samus::4shulk::4tlink::4wiifit::4zelda:

The invading general from the East
:4ryu:

(Note: Character are listed in alphabetical order for each group)

Any arguing over hypothetical spots like whether or not Pikachu is top 5 or if Peach/Pit/Lucario/Ike are high tier is pretty much petty bickering among nobles/court jesters at this point. My list might be subject to debate but anyone who's been following the meta and this thread has a pretty good idea on what the general consensus is in terms of where the roster currently ranks in the meta.
Sorry to bring this up, but could we at least seperate the Middle Class from the peasants? Smash 4 is balanced enough to say that the distribution of viability from top half to the bottom half is better than the economic distribution during the Dark Ages in medieval Europe.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Fixed.

Falcon is a lot flashier and people like that. Style outweighs a lot of things to the common public (sometimes even myself, I'm a sucker for it, FGC background), whereas Sonic can be viewed as occasionally (or in some cases, usually) unentertaining, a good Falcon always gets people excited because of, well, style.

KakuCP9

What does it mean to be strong?
Because Falcon doesn't play defensively, ever.
Nah.
He basically just moves outside one's range, harassing them with stuff like nair or bair and then punishes people for pushing a button with his godlike dash grab rather than taking initiative and rushing in head on. Might not be traditional defensive play, but that what optimal falcon does. Though I'd much rather play Falcon than Sonic since while Falcon can "get" you, it's easier to get him back than Sonic.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
If someone speaks of Priority they obvious mean Hitbox:Hurtbox Ratio, Range, disjointness etc.
So stop calling people out if they use the word priority. It's perfectly reasonable to use that term. It works basically exactly the same in most other fighting games as well.
It's still a problematic term to use because it implies that each move has an inherent, consistent value that determines whether it beats out another hitbox or not. Even if we used some objective definition for the term like "Hitbox size : amount of startup frames" it still wouldn't be consistent because there are situation where hitbox size is the determining factor and there are situations where the startup lag is the determining factor. It often depends on context.

And when people just throw out wishy-washy non-arguments like "character X is good because his moves have a lot of priority" then things are just bound to get messy. It's definitely a term I'd advice against using. Even though you could probably define something and call it "priority" it doesn't change the fact that there's not actually any such thing.

Rosa also definitely bodies :4fox:. At low %s, a boost grab to up-throw to jab literally does ~36% to Fox, which is pretty lolzy. She edge guards and kills him really easily in general, and Fox just has a hard time dealing with Luma.
A +1 advantage equals "bodying" somebody now?

:059:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Fixed.

It should be really obvious, but... Falcon has big strengths and big weaknesses. Falcon hits you, he can combo you and do big damage. You hit Falcon, you can combo him and do big damage. Sonic hits you, he might get big damage. You hit Sonic, he'll likely invincible spring away, and then run away at max speed and reset to neutral whenever he wants. You get Falcon offstage, he's likely to die. You get Sonic offstage, he's likely to recover. Basically, Falcon's not nearly as good at running away as Sonic is. Yeah he's scary at a certain distance, but if he wasn't, then he'd be a bad character again.
Also, Falcon doesn't make earsplitting noises all the time.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I think Falcon actually has to play a lot more defensively than Sonic. Sonic can camp if that's the way he wants it but due to his pathetic disadvantaged state Falcon has such a low margin for error that he can't really afford to make a lot of misakes. Sonic doesn't suffer from that issue to the same extent so he can go aggro without having to worry about losing half of his stock upon making a mistake. It's just that Sonic players don't seem to make use of that option for one reason or another.

As far as Falcon is concerned the only time that he can afford to go in recklessly is when he's in advantaged state. In neutral he's largely defensive, doing his dashing back and forth thing until he gets that opening for a grab from where he can make a very smooth and easy transition into his great advantaged state [which after all is said and done is the main reason why Falcon is a good character imo].

:059:

LightLV

Smash Ace
Priority doesn't exist. It isn't a thing. Stop acting like it is because you are wrong. Ground moves clink, aerials trade. The only things that matter with regards to disobeying these rules are transcendence, invulnerability, super armor, and if an attack deals 9% more damage than another one.
..."Priority" does not refer to a literal value on a hitbox. In some games this actually happens (usually for projectiles) but this is rarely what anyone ever means when they mention it. It considers not only startup frames, but actives, hitbox size, hurtbox size, invincibility frames, ect ect. It's more of a concept, or a tendency, not necessarily a "value" or a specific "flag" that pre-determines what move wins.

So, everything you mentioned has to do with priority. It doesn't exist to you because you don't know what you're talking about. It's a very simple concept and you should, but again, i forgot i'm on the Smash forums where simplistic concepts are either debated for no reason or take alternate meanings.

EDIT:
Also, there's nothing "ambiguous" about frame data. It's about as objective and straightforward as it gets, actually.
The statement "good frame data" alone is quite ambigious.

When you say "Toon link has better frame data", you are not only omitting which attributes are good and why, but other key factors like the size and positioning of said hitbox...quite relevant information when you're discussing 2 characters where one of the biggest differences are the sizes of their hitboxes and hurtboxes. (And if I want to be cheeky, i can also go ahead and mention, it's ignoring damage, base KB and KBS as well.)

Granted, it's much easier to conflate "fast startup frames" to "good frame data" in Smash 4 because on-shield offensive attributes are trivialized. So things like blockpush, blockstun and shield damage can be more or less ignored except for very specific characters, and the only things that really matter are how fast it comes out, how far it reaches and how fast you can act afterwards. So if we weren't talking about Toon Link and Link i wouldn't have even quipped.

Case in point, Shiek's amazing Fair would be less destructive to the cast if it had the exact same frame data but a much smaller hitbox area, or if her hurtbox extended farther. This would allow a wider variety of aerials and ground normals to either trade or outright defeat it, with its startup, active and recovery values untouched. Bonus Trivia: this would also reduce its priority! See how that works?

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Falcon benefits a lot more from rage so I think he can actually afford to make a good few mistakes.

But yea, falcon's more defensive than people think. Sonic is still much more defensive though because unlike falcon, he can't take stocks off little mistakes so there's no reason to be aggressive.

Last edited:

Djent

Smash Champion
Now that 6WX is having success again, I think it's probably time to reinvestigate the idea that "campy :4sonic: = optimal :4sonic:" full stop. When he was falling off it was easy enough to say that people had "figured out" that character's aggression. But I think this was actually a case of people not considering the broader context of his poor performance. Now he's back in focus and has beaten someone who had never lost to a Sonic before, including the so-called "optimal" type.

Furthermore, it's not like it's just 6WX that successfully incorporates aggression into Sonic's play. Komorikiri beat Choco's :4zss: by playing very aggro at the same tournament where Choco took Ranai out of winners. This, in conjunction with the fact that 6WX fared better against Nick Riddle than any of the FL-native hedgehogs, suggests that at least a few MUs can benefit from less passive tactics. I'm willing to bet that there are others besides Pika/ZSS, and that Sonics should look to be more flexible in the way that they approach them (pun intended :smirk:).

LightLV

Smash Ace
I don't see how fighting either is very fun. They're both just built around stupidity.

HFlash

NNID
HFlash
Falcon is still cancer.

Just super sexy cancer.
I don't see how fighting either is very fun. They're both just built around stupidity.
Loving the in depth analysis.

But I only said that Falcon isn't defensive because unlike some Sonics, Falcon is never running away, or trying to time you out. If baiting and punishing is considered a defensive strategy, then yes, Falcon is highly defensive.
@ Djent Djent Unfortunately, Sonic has been characterized by the masses that Sonic plays defensively from the other prominent Sonics (Static Manny for example) and once a stigma like that gets pegged on a character, it's hard shake that off. Hopefully, other Sonics can learn to add rushdown in their repertoire.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
So is Sheik the best zoner in the game?

Curious to see what you all think.

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
I think it's because Falcon has a crappy disadvantage state. As a result, fighting a mediocre Falcon who makes mistakes will make Falcon seem easy to fight, whereas Sonic has his frame 3 up B to escape disadvantage completely. Ergo, people hate the hell out of Sonic, but not Falcon.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Warning Received
..."Priority" does not refer to a literal value on a hitbox. In some games this actually happens (usually for projectiles) but this is rarely what anyone ever means when they mention it. It considers not only startup frames, but actives, hitbox size, hurtbox size, invincibility frames, ect ect. It's more of a concept, or a tendency, not necessarily a "value" or a specific "flag" that pre-determines what move wins.

So, everything you mentioned has to do with priority. It doesn't exist to you because you don't know what you're talking about. It's a very simple concept and you should, but again, i forgot i'm on the Smash forums where simplistic concepts are either debated for no reason or take alternate meanings.

The statement "good frame data" alone is quite ambigious.

When you say "Toon link has better frame data", you are not only omitting which attributes are good and why, but other key factors like the size and positioning of said hitbox...quite relevant information when you're discussing 2 characters where one of the biggest differences are the sizes of their hitboxes and hurtboxes. (And if I want to be cheeky, i can also go ahead and mention, it's ignoring damage, base KB and KBS as well.)

Granted, it's much easier to conflate "fast startup frames" to "good frame data" in Smash 4 because on-shield offensive attributes are trivialized. So things like blockpush, blockstun and shield damage can be more or less ignored except for very specific characters, and the only things that really matter are how fast it comes out, how far it reaches and how fast you can act afterwards. So if we weren't talking about Toon Link and Link i wouldn't have even quipped.

Case in point, Shiek's amazing Fair would be less destructive to the cast if it had the exact same frame data but a much smaller hitbox area, or if her hurtbox extended farther. This would allow a wider variety of aerials and ground normals to either trade or outright defeat it, with its startup, active and recovery values untouched. Bonus Trivia: this would also reduce its priority! See how that works?
The **** are you on about

Sorry, I guess I was wrong. Quantifiable move set data is just way too ambiguous to ever be used for anything. Sure told me.

As for anything else you said, you kind of just threw a bunch of esports terms together and are acting like somehow that means you've won an argument. OK bud

And keep back tracking on priority lol. It's making me laugh.

Objectively, Toon Link has superior frame data. Objectively, Toon Link has superior projectiles. Objectively, Toon Link can actually set up into kills beyond laggy punish moves. (But then again those punish moves have huge hitboxes so that means Link is automatically better I guess)

I'm done talking about this. I didn't even want argue about Link vs Toon Link but you are saying things that are completely wrong. Just like you were earlier when you tried to argue that Lucina was as good as Marth because tipper is an arbitrary, useless mechanic. Please stop talking before you hurt yourself.

juddy96

Smash Lord
Contrary to popular belief, most good Sonics are actually offensive. But unfortunately it is easy to have Manny matches planted in people's heads for a long time. He doesn't travel that much though. And I'm not at all surprised that 6WX fared well against Nick Riddle, Nick had lots of Sonic experience, but he probably had built up strategies to deal with defensive Sonics rather than offensive ones (I don't think there are any good offensive Sonics in FL?).

Sir Tundra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Righteous
3DS FC
2938-7133-5824
So is Sheik the best zoner in the game?

Curious to see what you all think.
Sheik is just a very versitile character. She's good in everything and excels at.....

well everything.
She's the best at everything but killing. But is still top tier at that.
I'm pretty sure sheik can easily kill light weights and low mid weights. Also she has 50/50's and great edgeguarding to make up her lack of killing on stage.

Edit: if your were mentioning her 50/50's then just ignore this

Last edited:

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
If you removed the neutral b projectiles from both characters, I'd say ZSS is a better zoner than Sheik, having similar landing lag on her aerials and more range on basically everything (bair vs bair, nair vs fair, zair vs anything) with two options being disjointed. ZSS' tilts are also a lot better for outranging things and dsmash has a considerable amount of disjointed transcendent range while being unpunishable on shield by anyone. Their dash attacks are probably about equally useful and their mobility specs are very similar. The benefits Sheik has are better rising shorthop options and lesser startup frames on things.

but yeah needles exist so rip

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
To the people saying TL has better frame data read this post:
http://smashboards.com/threads/viab...ive-impressions.410551/page-199#post-20101012

If I am the aforementioned person, no, Tink's normals isn't the main reason why he is better than Link, but it is a reason why. The TLDR explanation is that Link has a number of kill moves over Tink, but that doesn't really help. Having more quick moves to help combat other characters with great frame data is far more important than having several, moves i.e why prefer Link's ftilt and dash attack when both characters have a strong horizontal kill move with fsmash (which TL btw has a MUCH greater BKB with 130, holy hell that's high)
Most of Link's standard attacks hit the same frame as TL's, have better reach and deal more damage. Like I said in the post linked above, Link's fastest ground attack is only 1 frame slower than TL's and his grabs, fastest aerial, and projectiles are the same (starting). Link's DA has an arc like Ike's Fair. I wouldn't say TL's DA and Ftilt are better, just different. Ftilt, Fsmash and DA all have their uses for Link and don't overshadow each other.
Furthermore, saying Link has better specials is just wrong. Tink's boomerang has a hitbox coming back which you have to respect at all times while it is out and is much better than the wind effect Link has which brings the enemy closer to him. Generally as a zoning character, you want the opponent far as possible. Point to Tink. Additionally, you have Tink's lingering hit box with his arrow that Link doesn't have. Another point to Tink. Then obviously, Tink's bombs lead to kill confirms while Link's doesn't. Many points to Tink. Finally, Tink's recovery has greater reach. Another point to Tink.
Link's specials work differently than TL's but I agree about the boomerang. The gale effect has occasional uses and isn't bad but I'd prefer a hitbox. Zoning characters don't want to be as far as possible; they can't take advantage of openings that way. Can Tink arrow lock? Link's arrows are faster and can punish landings, dodges etc; they work differently than TL's. Link's bombs can kill confirm: throw bomb down>Uair or footstool Nair lock. Z drop bomb>land>Usmash.
TL and Link are ranked the same in recovery and Link is much heavier.
As a side point, you forget to mention when talking about the superior Link has over Toon Link is that Link's hurtbox is also much bigger than Tink's. You have to have a longer arm if you are going to be swinging a bigger sword.

I said it before, and I'll say it again, Tink is objectively better than Link, and will most likely always be the case barring significant buffs/nerfs to the characters. When a Link almost takes a set over, arguably the best Shiek in the world, then we can start talking again.
Link's hurtbox isn't that much bigger and he has better range and weight than TL.

I agree TL is a bit better but not that much. I think you're underestimating Link. Link functions very differently but it's apples to oranges. Also, "almost taking a set" isn't great criteria. Link does have tournament results, notably Scizor in SoCal
http://smashboards.com/threads/link-tournament-results-thread-21st-august.404196/

To be clear, I'm not arguing that Link is better than the 'underwhelming' tier he's placed in the OP. I'm only saying that Link isn't that far from TL and has more going for him than some people think.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Oh, would that one guy be me?
Along with the people who say Roy is better than Marth?
I was talking about Gawain, since he's the only one who frequents this topic that'd argue for it.

I'm not trying to start something, but the usual opinion around here is that Marth is superior in basically all top tier matchups.

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
If you removed the neutral b projectiles from both characters, I'd say ZSS is a better zoner than Sheik, having similar landing lag on her aerials and more range on basically everything (bair vs bair, nair vs fair, zair vs anything) with two options being disjointed. ZSS' tilts are also a lot better for outranging things and dsmash has a considerable amount of disjointed transcendent range while being unpunishable on shield by anyone. Their dash attacks are probably about equally useful and their mobility specs are very similar. The benefits Sheik has are better rising shorthop options and lesser startup frames on things.

but yeah needles exist so rip
"If you remove her major zoning tool, Shiek isn't as good at zoning anymore!"

NairWizard

Somewhere
Either way, for argument's sake we could say Rosa > Mario, Luigi, Diddy, Ness AND Fox*.
Pikachu mains should take note of this hypothesis, because these 5 are probably Pikachu's worst matchups (and only losing MUs, depending on how the Olimar MU plays out). And Pikachu in turn does really well against Sheik, Falcon, and ZSS (and I would add Sonic, but opinions vary on that).

Rosa also definitely bodies :4fox:. At low %s, a boost grab to up-throw to jab literally does ~36% to Fox, which is pretty lolzy.
This isn't really unique to Rosalina. Most characters can do some pretty crazy damage to Fox due to his fall speed. Pikachu's up-throw to up-tilt chains do something like 30-40% to Fox at 0%, and Pikachu edgeguards Fox really easily, but it's still a losing matchup for Pikachu. Fox just controls so much space with his speed that most characters lose to him in neutral too hard to win the MU against him. Luma takes away Fox's neutral dominance just by existing, so that's why Rosalina has the edge ultimately.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Sorry to bring this up, but could we at least seperate the Middle Class from the peasants? Smash 4 is balanced enough to say that the distribution of viability from top half to the bottom half is better than the economic distribution during the Dark Ages in medieval Europe.
Unfortunately, few people want to devote time to seriously discussing just how the mid/low tiers as a whole really stack up in the metagame. The elites get all the spotlight while the little people and their meta games just have to suffer in obscurity. Unless its Marth or Roy. Any mention of those two usually ends up in the thread getting sidetracked into a 3-4 page discussion on the bishie swords.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom