• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Viability Ratings v2 | Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
I don't know if I can watch Xanadu's anymore while Luigi is as stupid as it is. What's the point of watching 10+ Luigi sets every week showing the exact same thing in essentially every match up over and over again? GOOD PLAYERS who we know can get results at major-regional and even national level, losing to a character who just buffers dash grab... -.-
Everyone in md/va fails to realize they're going to need to beat luigis to win here and everyone refuses to learn the MU or tries to cope with it via an awful MU.

It being a locals also makes people not care enough to play the way they need to, very very conservatively.

The point is, people are treating fireball to grab as if it's a broken tactic like Ice Climbers' wobbling. It's not. Those people complaining about Luigi should also mention his flaws
Yea man, remember brawl metaknights jab? And his weight?

Luigi isn't broken he's just the simplest character in the game.

Last edited:

Green L

Smash Apprentice
I don't see what "horrendous design decisions" luigi has. The one stupid design decision I can think of it why luigi cyclone mashing is hard without jumping first yet dr. Mario's is much easier. I know that doc's tornado doesn't go as high but why not the same easy mashing for luigi too?

RedBeefBaron

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redbeefbaron
Horrendous is kind of a strong word, but people generally don't like it when extremely easy characters are really rewarding like that. It's frustrating when you lose to someone who has to do a lot less than you have to to win.

The brunt of Luigis viability comes from how simple it is to work his game and how easy it is to execute it. Combine this with the fact that in spite of his weaknesses his opponents generally need to specifically and precisely exploit them a lot more than he needs to land easy mode grabs like he does in every matchup and you have a character that dominates the mid to high level yet struggles at the top.

Last edited:

Green L

Smash Apprentice
Luigi's gameplay rewards dealing with sliding everywhere and being even slower than Robin in the air. No character is that overpowered to be an easy win

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Luigi's gameplay rewards dealing with sliding everywhere and being even slower than Robin in the air. No character is that overpowered to be an easy win
See, you're not understanding. We're not saying he's overpowered, we're saying he's polarized and overly simplistic.

Less air speed means less mobility which means you only have to worry about a certain zone you can reliably control. This hurts the character, but makes things easier on the player.

Also, as much as I crap on yoshi I will admit his representation is hindered by the game controls.

Optimal yoshi cannot be used by standard control means comfortably.

Tap Jump On = Losing your jumps during non-perfect frame egg tosses.
But using x/y + A/C-stick disallows the use of buffered rising upairs. Something yoshi really needs.

So you essentially need to learn to use Z-jump with Attack Stick. (Z-jump also enables grounded egg tosses out of dash and more comfortable SH Egg tosses)

I only bothered learning to use it and yoshi because I use duck hunt and he also benefits from z-jump (SH Gunmen, Rising Frisbee, and retreating sh wavebounce trick shots)

So I thought I might as well, but considering Yoshi's solo viability is already so very iffy, the fact you have to invest so heavily into a good (at best) but not great character will probably prevent yoshi from accomplishing anything.

Personally I think his weaknesses are too much to overcome even if he was easy to control, but it's good that an otherwise easy and fun to play character has a way to prevent himself from being too popular/common so that he gets unfamiliarity boosts.

Last edited:

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
At least people are complaning about Luigi and not Sonic in this thread. So that is a plus. Although people may burn me for this, I actually think this Luigi playstile fits him perfectly. He isn't a Mario clone anymore. He actually has an unique playstyle. A pretty annoying, easy and ridiculous playstyle, but he has it. Melee Luigi is pretty weird too and I love it, but this time Luigi gets to shine with his grabs and fireballs. I know you hate it to death and that it's really cheap and boring, but you have to admit this fits Luigi, if only they nerfed Luigi Cyclone or gave him more endlang on his grabs and he wouldn't be so damn annoying.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
At least people are complaning about Luigi and not Sonic in this thread. So that is a plus. Although people may burn me for this, I actually think this Luigi playstile fits him perfectly. He isn't a Mario clone anymore. He actually has an unique playstyle. A pretty annoying, easy and ridiculous playstyle, but he has it. Melee Luigi is pretty weird too and I love it, but this time Luigi gets to shine with his grabs and fireballs. I know you hate it to death and that it's really cheap and boring, but you have to admit this fits Luigi, if only they nerfed Luigi Cyclone or gave him more endlang on his grabs and he wouldn't be so damn annoying.
The inherent playstyle isn't the issue.

It's the inherent potency of it. If you want to be a simple character you should get simple rewards or have simple weaknesses to compensate. See: Mario, Pit, Yoshi, Little Mac.

Last edited:

Zelder

Smash Journeyman
Please, please, please stop talking about Sonic.

And Luigi hasn't been a Mario clone since the first game.

Last edited:

Green L

Smash Apprentice
Luigi cyclone doesn't need a nerf. Luigi cyclone only does 9 damage and lots of endlag. Dr. Mario's tornado is even stronger than luigi's yet I'm not complaining. Where were these complains in brawl when the cyclone went much higher, faster, and did 12 damage? Or in melee when cyclone did a quick 18 percent? Luigi's weaknesses are easily exploitable yet people don't take advantage of them. Luigi is fine as he is. ( Although hopefully, the devs could lighten up on the mashing luigi cyclone)

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Luigi cyclone doesn't need a nerf. Luigi cyclone only does 9 damage and lots of endlag. Dr. Mario's tornado is even stronger than luigi's yet I'm not complaining. Where were these complains in brawl when the cyclone went much higher, faster, and did 12 damage? Or in melee when cyclone did a quick 18 percent? Luigi's weaknesses are easily exploitable yet people don't take advantage of them. Luigi is fine as he is. ( Although hopefully, the devs could lighten up on the mashing luigi cyclone)
Luigi cyclone kills you from a grab

BSP

Smash Legend
If people hates Luigi so much, they should give Pac-Man a try. The MU isn't free by any means, but you can avoid the usual Luigi stuff at will.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
When I think of that dumb cyclone I think of Jigglypuff. The cyclone is way too effective against that Pokémon. Mash all you want. This plus rage will get Jiggly killed in what we consider low percents.

Rikkhan

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if I can watch Xanadu's anymore while Luigi is as stupid as it is. What's the point of watching 10+ Luigi sets every week showing the exact same thing in essentially every match up over and over again? GOOD PLAYERS who we know can get results at major-regional and even national level, losing to a character who just buffers dash grab... -.-
If Neo was a really good player he would have beaten Boss, maybe he underperformed or something but the fact is that he wasn't good enough, plain and simple no johns, he even used sheik which has a +1/+2 advantage over luigi.

I dont get this luigi hate, since when having a simple playstyle is a bad thing? fireball + grab? down throw into cyclone? you can find things like this in like half of the rooster.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
If Neo was a really good player he would have beaten Boss, maybe he underperformed or something but the fact is that he wasn't good enough, plain and simple no johns, he even used sheik which has a +1/+2 advantage over luigi.

I dont get this luigi hate, since when having a simple playstyle is a bad thing? fireball + grab? down throw into cyclone? you can find things like this in like half of the rooster.
It's more of the fact that he gains more reward than any other character off of doing simple things.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467

But I don't think half of the roster benefits as much from a simple play style as Luigi does.

Green L

Smash Apprentice
People shouldn't complain about the good traits of a character. "Why does yoshi soar through the air like a bird but luigi is slow like molasses? " Luigi is good at combo finishers so what. With luigi's flaws, it should be rewarding to get the grab. Donkey Kong's Cargo Up throw to upair and is even stronger and just as simple yet no one complains.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
IIRC NEO said he doesn't enjoy sheik much anymore and has been practicing marcina much more lately.

Also NEO's beaten boss a few times before.
People shouldn't complain about the good traits of a character.
Yea man, all those whiny scrubs dying at 60% to hoo-hah at apex should've just exploited diddy's weaknesses instead of hoping for some semblance of "balance"

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Was it Neo who suffered a condition with his hands? There was a player who rarely played, but was good except his hand muscles can forcibly tense themselves. I think it was Neo. I wonder if that had anything to do with him under-performing.

Zelder

Smash Journeyman
People shouldn't complain about the good traits of a character. "Why does yoshi soar through the air like a bird but luigi is slow like molasses? " Luigi is good at combo finishers so what. With luigi's flaws, it should be rewarding to get the grab. Donkey Kong's Cargo Up throw to upair and is even stronger and just as simple yet no one complains.
I don't think you fundamentally understand what people are saying about Luigi.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Alright dude listen. Your name is Green L, your icon is Luigi, and you joined today. Every post you've made has been defending Luigi, as if he's some secretly bad character that isn't hella annoying to fight. You're a little bit biased toward your character. I have no idea how much you understand competitive play. You just brought up a damage comparison to Brawl, even though the vast majority of moves in this game do less damage than they did in Brawl, and more importantly, the "problem" with Luigi Cyclone is that it's a guaranteed kill at relatively low percents from a grab. Luigi gets you to these "relatively low percents" in only a few grabs prior to that, because he has reliable and easy throw combos that do significant damage. How does he get those grabs? Well, most characters can't camp Luigi out because Fireballs are fairly safe and long distance, so you're forced to go up close. Up close, you have to deal with a frame 2 jab, and top tier frame data on all his tilts and smashes... as well as an amazing, relatively safe dashgrab. So it's low risk, high reward all around. Luigi doesn't require a read to get the Cyclone KOs; your DI options are so poor from Downthrow that Luigi has plenty of time to react and hit you with it. It drags you up very high (even from ground level!) and even higher if you happen to be grabbed on a platform, so it kills quite early, especially as Vipermoon just said, if you're a floaty character.

So the tl;dr is that yeah, Cyclone is pretty dumb, but only from the throw combo, and its damage is not the problem. I have no problems with the move when used in neutral or whatever. I actually agree with you, and I think you should be able to do the "jumpless cyclone" without having to mash the button like crazy. If Cyclone had less knockback, so that Luigi couldn't disgustingly KO with it at low percents 90% of the time, I'd be mostly ok with the character. Until Luigis find a way to get guaranteed Dthrow->Shoryuken kills at even lower percents, then I'll just cry.

That said, I'm not exactly sure what is supposed to be considered good/bad game design? I figure I'll ask our lord and savior @ Shaya Shaya for this one. The recent Falcon vs Sonic mention, for example. I've never thought any character was as horrifically poorly designed as Sonic, aside from Rosalina, and that only because of how broken Luma often is/was, especially before nerfs. Well, and Ice Climbers, but we don't talk about that. I know you've also mentioned MK as infuriating? And Wii Fit? And of course Luigi, though most people agree on that already. And I'm not sure what else? Is having reliable, strongish KO options bad design? What if we used a 3 or 4 stock format, like Melee? Fast kills (gimps and quick combos) are praised in that game, but if they used 2 stocks, it would be infuriating at times. Is unreactable speed (Sonic) bad design? My problem with Sonic, compared to Falcon, is that his speed is basically unreactable at all distances. With Falcon, his Dash Attack/Dashgrab are only a real threat from a very specific distance, at which you should expect it. What else are problems? Is bad design simply "one option is so strong that you should use that at the exclusion of all else?" Because that would make sense. What are characters with good design? Just throwing some names out that seem like they make sense: Pit, Greninja, Ike, Villager? I would put Captain Falcon as about how balanced I would desire all characters in this game to be, but evidently some disagree. Perhaps he's the right amount of "strength," but his actual design has some flaws that need fixing? How would you go about fixing the poorly designed characters? Is that discussion even appropriate for this thread? I DON'T KNOW, but I've already made a long ramble post, and regardless of what we do, within a few days the thread will go back to discussion of how Sheik and Luigi are stupid, and then comparing Marth and Lucina and Roy to each other, and Ffamfran talking about Falco (another well designed character that is pretty close to ideal balance imo) and Yoshi being maybe good or not, and ETC. ETC.

Rikkhan

Smash Apprentice
IIRC NEO said he doesn't enjoy sheik much anymore and has been practicing marcina much more lately.

Also NEO's beaten boss a few times before.
This doesn't change anything, Neo loss plain and simple that's the point of "no johns", my point goes more to Saya throwing a rant about how broken is luigi and "subtly" saying that Neo's marth should have won.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
This doesn't change anything, Neo loss plain and simple that's the point of "no johns", my point goes more to Saya throwing a rant about how broken is luigi and "subtly" saying that Neo's marth should have won.
If by "subtly" you mean not at all, sure.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Picking up Pac-Man as a secondary against Luigi is a pretty decent idea imo. Pac-Man is not a hard character to play and what's even better is that he doesn't have to depart from his prefered bread and butter style to have the advantage.

:059:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Pac Man is hardly the only character that can avoid Luigi's shenanigans tho

Last edited:

RedBeefBaron

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redbeefbaron
The other thing is that Luigi's mobility weakness is incredibly exaggerated.

Mobility is generally a weakness because it either stops you from controlling as much space as others or it prevents you from putting distance between you and characters who want to rush you down or approaching characters you want to get close to.

Luigi controls space better than most with fireballs, they greatly aid his approach and he has the best close range options in the game.

BSP

Smash Legend
I can't believe you're using this as an opportunity to advertise PAC-MAN.
I'm commenting on the current conversation. I see complaints about fireball + grab, and I know a character, who happens to be Pac-Man, who can deal with them well. I don't see the big deal, it's just an option to consider.

Green L

Smash Apprentice
The only time down throw to cyclone KOS at 90 percent is on the lightest of characters such as Jigglypuff, Mr. Game and Watch, and mewtwo. It kills past 100 ( Even with rage) on heavier characters such as a KO on Mario at 135. 135 is a fair percentage to get a KO from to me. If luigi's gameplay is so linear and predictable, shouldn't fighting luigi players be a piece of cake?

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
It's a common theme here, someone makes a decent point about some character's "dumbness" and then most of the regulars follow and release all their demons at once. It passes in a day or two until the next victim comes along, and in the meantime we rant about Sheik.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
The only time down throw to cyclone KOS at 90 percent is on the lightest of characters such as Jigglypuff, Mr. Game and Watch, and mewtwo. It kills past 100 ( Even with rage) on heavier characters such as a KO on Mario at 135. 135 is a fair percentage to get a KO from to me. If luigi's gameplay is so linear and predictable, shouldn't fighting luigi players be a piece of cake?
Actually it kills consistently around 90-110 on midweights with rage. Also, it seems like you're stating the percent it kills AT instead of FROM. You get grabbed at 110-130 and unless luigi is at 0%, you're dead.

No, that's not fair. That's essentially ness's ledge backthrow at any part of the stage.

There is some poetic justice in luigi killing himself if he gets a grab at 60% though.

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I wish Swordfighter could kill the lightest characters in the game at 90% from a grab.
(ok I'll stop now)

Megamang

Smash Lord

YES, IT SHOULD BE A PIECE OF CAKE, BUT IT ISNT. READ WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING.

Ahem. Boss is a skilled player, it hurts to see so little mixup. He wants to win with Luigi though, and he achieved that. No one is blaming him. And no one is attacking luigi players, but we are at the point where the game is being changed, and we are hopefully encouraging a luigi change, as his current gameplay is pretty tough to watch.

Edit: Perhaps you should play with a character who has a difficult matchup with weegee against a friend who is willing to fireball you as often as needed. Its really rough, as soon as that fireball leaves his hand you are basically gambling against the house, all of his proper decisions are rewarded much much more. What do you tell a gambler who loses everything? Stop gambling. For me, that is running away the entire match and racking up all my damage with safe tjolts. No one wins, and I'd rather not do that. So if luigi couldn't kill me from a grab at 90%, or EARLIER when im trying to close out a stock from behind (dthrow - fair is an airdodge into FJP trap...), perhaps i'd enter "the fighting zone" instead of the tjolt zone.

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Luigi is simple, easy to play, and gets dumb rewards, but you guys are exaggerating in the extreme. Its funny, oftentimes this thread greatly overstates the "bandwagon" opinions, but the second someone mentions something that goes against the cabal-driven worldview of the game that this thread shares, people freak out, regardless of what is being said and no matter how well stated.

It's like the kind of cognitive dissonance a liberal gets by watching news channels other than MSNBC lol

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Its funny, oftentimes this thread greatly overstates the "bandwagon" opinions, but the second someone mentions something that goes against the cabal-driven worldview of the game that this thread shares, people freak out, regardless of what is being said and no matter how well stated.
You kinda had me...

It's like the kind of cognitive dissonance a liberal gets by watching news channels other than MSNBC lol
Then you lost me...
let's not bring political opinions into a game thread lol. Especially when you aren't correct.

Last edited:

Zelder

Smash Journeyman
Luigi is simple, easy to play, and gets dumb rewards, but you guys are exaggerating in the extreme. Its funny, oftentimes this thread greatly overstates the "bandwagon" opinions, but the second someone mentions something that goes against the cabal-driven worldview of the game that this thread shares, people freak out, regardless of what is being said and no matter how well stated.

You didn't actually point out where people were exaggerating.

And you're not using the term cognitive dissonance correctly. Cognitive dissonance is caused by holding two contradictory belief, like a conservative christian being both pro life and for the death penalty.

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Another peeve I have with luigi is his effect on the meta behind the scenes. The fact he doesn't/can't top majors lets the issue of him invalidating a large amount of characters go unnoticed.

Aside from the Waifu Tiers, there's very few characters that can contend with both sheik AND luigi.

Pikachu, Mario, Diddy... The only characters adept at both MUs (aside from waifu tiers) seem to be Meta Knight, Peach, Pacman, and maybe Sonic.

Meta Knight's looking more and more appealing... Too bad about the ZSS MU.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom