• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Sakurai seems to have the same opinion, as there was a focus on introducing new series in this title.
It's also because most of Nintendo's big names are already in Smash; for Melee and Brawl it was a no-brainer deciding who could be added to the roster but it gets a little tricky after that, as Sakurai even said once "Who hasn't been in Smash?". I also recall that it was mentioned that during that time Nintendo created very few new characters; I think that for Brawl only Ike, Lucario and Olimar were fairly recent.
So I'm glad that most of the newcomers are new characters or characters that got a revival after brawl. There has to be a mixture between classic and new fighters.

Last edited:

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730
Warning Received
[MOD NOTE: Advertising does not make up an unpopular opinion, but it IS unpopular. Hint. Hint.]

Last edited by a moderator:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I'm not really in favor of "fourth party" characters, but if it there ever was one, I hope it wouldn't be Goku.

Last edited:

Archimedes

The Rad Simisear
Switch FC
7772-6031-3529
I'm not really in favor of "fourth party" characters, but if it there ever was one, I hope it wouldn't be Goku.
I'm barely into third party characters let alone THAT. Smash Bros is supposed to be Nintendo characters fighting it out. I only forgive :4sonic::4megaman::4pacman: because they are as iconic as most Nintendo characters. Though I guess I'd get over it if they added more.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I'm barely into third party characters let alone THAT. Smash Bros is supposed to be Nintendo characters fighting it out. I only forgive :4sonic::4megaman::4pacman: because they are as iconic as most Nintendo characters. Though I guess I'd get over it if they added more.
Indeed. They're the three best choices for third party characters but past that they need to stick to Nintendos.

NintendoPSX

Smash Journeyman
I hate how f***ing large these damn blast zones are. They're ridiculously large and lets people live past God damn 140% and you just can't God damn kill them. This crap let's characters like Lucario be one of the best top 3 in this entire game and even let's people live so long that they're at 150% something and you got KO'd and now you've sustained 40% or more because projectiles or hit and run. These blast zones need to be reduced.

Archimedes

The Rad Simisear
Switch FC
7772-6031-3529
I hate how f***ing large these damn blast zones are. They're ridiculously large and lets people live past God damn 140% and you just can't God damn kill them. This crap let's characters like Lucario be one of the best top 3 in this entire game and even let's people live so long that they're at 150% something and you got KO'd and now you've sustained 40% or more because projectiles or hit and run. These blast zones need to be reduced.
Even as a Lucario player I agree with you. I like being able to survive as Lucario but when it happens to me its 110% frustrating and not satisfying at all.

D

Deleted member 269706

I don't think this is a very "unpopular" opinion :p Nah, but I agree with you 100% I've made it to 200% + in For Glory on multiple occasions as Ike, Bowser, and even Link. And being stuck against Lucario's that high is bull**** (speaking from experience here). I do think this will come to Nintendo's attention at some point, it's just a matter of when.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Yeah this is supposed to be the unpopular opinions thread.

Speaking of which I actually don't like using GameCube controller unless I have no alternative (aka only Melee).

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Hyper competitive smashers often come across as really anal and entitled (especially when it comes to stage banning), and for me seem to suck the fun right out of the game. Outspokenly trying to force a strict set of rules on what is essentially a party game seems a little silly. Play however you like, but try to be cool about it.

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
Hey Guys!

The Kid Icarus Uprising over representation reminds me of my problem with Japanese game developers.
The Palutena codecs could improve, many of them were pointless
Miis were a waste of development, and so was Palutena's custom specials
Don't mind the idea of clones, it's just the reasoning that annoys me
:4wiremac: Should have been one costume, and :4wario2: Should have kept all of his costumes from Brawl
I like Ridley being an unplayable fighter rather than a cheap stage hazard
Mewtwo and the confirmation of DLC saved this game for me
I like Lucas:lucas: and I hope he returns as DLC, same goes for :wolf:And the rest of the cut veterans
Also, i want every veteran to return excluding Young Link(:pichumelee::roypm::popo::ivysaur::squirtle::snake:)
Smash Tour looks bland, I would have preferred if we got a remake of the Melee Adventure mode
Bowser Jr and the Koopalings are underwhelming
Still want King K Rool, but I would be fine if Dixie was chosen instead

Zol

Smash Apprentice
i've always noticed the idiots that want a bunch of anime characters in smash seem to always be the same people that want the game to be pointlessly flooded with sonic characters as well

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Not that fourth party ever existed. It's still 3rd party overall, just ones that didn't originate in video games. Either way, I don't have an issue keeping them out either, but they weren't specifically banned, just those originating in Manga/Anime, although that was only specific to Brawl's 3rd Party rules. We don't know what Smash 4's was. Presumably those, and now they need to be somewhat special to get in. I think MegaMan and Pac-Man fit that bill(to be fair, that could've been a catch term for multiple media, like Cartoons/Comics/Animated Films...). It can't legitimately apply to things like Live-Action characters, and ironically there are some game-only characters that's based upon a Live Action series too.(much like how Smash has specific characters created just for the series. Giga Bowser and Mr. Game & Watch are two of these. There was no "Mr." in any Game & Watch games).

-While I do agree Dark Pit should've took more of Pit's Brawl moveset, using his moves more based upon Uprising was just as logical. Sure, he was more cloney, but those are what he could do. He was able to be represented moveset-wise pretty well. A few more unique moves would've been cool, though. At least Ganondorf is still a Battle Mage(with his weapons being fists), which isn't exactly inaccurate to how he was before WW. Not "Ganon", but his human form.(I am totally okay with a new version of Ganondorf having weapons, though. Toon Ganondorf or Ganon would work >_>)

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Hyper competitive smashers often come across as really anal and entitled (especially when it comes to stage banning), and for me seem to suck the fun right out of the game. Outspokenly trying to force a strict set of rules on what is essentially a party game seems a little silly. Play however you like, but try to be cool about it.
I knew a guy who was the embodiment of the "Stop Having Fun, Guys!" trope and the "No items, Final Destination, Fox only" stereotype (minus Fox). When we gathered with friends we would play 4 player matches with items, but the guy insisted on playing exclusively on Final Destination and removing items. He would get mad whenever other stages were chosen and when we refused to play only one-on-one. He was such a vain and arrogant fellow.

Last edited:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Not that fourth party ever existed. It's still 3rd party overall, just ones that didn't originate in video games. Either way, I don't have an issue keeping them out either, but they weren't specifically banned, just those originating in Manga/Anime, although that was only specific to Brawl's 3rd Party rules. We don't know what Smash 4's was. Presumably those, and now they need to be somewhat special to get in. I think MegaMan and Pac-Man fit that bill(to be fair, that could've been a catch term for multiple media, like Cartoons/Comics/Animated Films...). It can't legitimately apply to things like Live-Action characters, and ironically there are some game-only characters that's based upon a Live Action series too.(much like how Smash has specific characters created just for the series. Giga Bowser and Mr. Game & Watch are two of these. There was no "Mr." in any Game & Watch games).

-While I do agree Dark Pit should've took more of Pit's Brawl moveset, using his moves more based upon Uprising was just as logical. Sure, he was more cloney, but those are what he could do. He was able to be represented moveset-wise pretty well. A few more unique moves would've been cool, though. At least Ganondorf is still a Battle Mage(with his weapons being fists), which isn't exactly inaccurate to how he was before WW. Not "Ganon", but his human form.(I am totally okay with a new version of Ganondorf having weapons, though. Toon Ganondorf or Ganon would work >_>)
Wait, they did state that anime/manga characters weren't being considered? I hope they keep that rule. I don't want any. I really don't want any. I really really don't want any. Especially Goku or Vocaloid Girl. Or any of the other Shonen characters. Seriously, **** them.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Wait, they did state that anime/manga characters weren't being considered? I hope they keep that rule. I don't want any. I really don't want any. I really really don't want any. Especially Goku or Vocaloid Girl. Or any of the other Shonen characters. Seriously, **** them.
Calm down, bro(no, seriously, you're taking this a bit personally, man. They're just fictional characters, just like everybody else that's playable, Mii Fighter characters you can make aside, I.E. Abraham Lincoln. Even if that's a fictional version of him).

And Sakurai stated during Brawl's 3rd party rules that Manga/Anime characters would not be in(he had to mean "originating", since tons of characters were in Manga/Anime, despite different origins. And it was clearly 3rd party, and it doesn't mean Manga/Anime references aren't allowed in general, just not playable. Need I note the Misty trophy in Melee? Not that it applies since that's a 2nd Party character anyway. Yeah, people do forget Gamefreak is 2nd Party, heh).

I honestly don't even care myself. If they're notable characters(or one I like, anyway) and fun to play as(a bit more important), it's all good to me. And so far, I think he's succeeded. I loathed Pac-Man's inclusion, but then I played as him. He's very fun. :3

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Calm down, bro(no, seriously, you're taking this a bit personally, man. They're just fictional characters, just like everybody else that's playable, Mii Fighter characters you can make aside, I.E. Abraham Lincoln. Even if that's a fictional version of him).

And Sakurai stated during Brawl's 3rd party rules that Manga/Anime characters would not be in(he had to mean "originating", since tons of characters were in Manga/Anime, despite different origins. And it was clearly 3rd party, and it doesn't mean Manga/Anime references aren't allowed in general, just not playable. Need I note the Misty trophy in Melee? Not that it applies since that's a 2nd Party character anyway. Yeah, people do forget Gamefreak is 2nd Party, heh).

I honestly don't even care myself. If they're notable characters(or one I like, anyway) and fun to play as(a bit more important), it's all good to me. And so far, I think he's succeeded. I loathed Pac-Man's inclusion, but then I played as him. He's very fun. :3
If I ever see Vocolaid girl he better add Batman, too.

Or add neither of them that's good too :4yoshi:

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If I ever see Vocolaid girl he better add Batman, too.

Or add neither of them that's good too :4yoshi:
And I still don't care. And never will. It's not worth acting so ridiculously childish over anyway. Grow up, man. You're being a baby over nothing important. Not like their chances are high, you know, presuming he even bothers with that rule anymore.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
If 'fourth parties' ever occurred(not a real term btw) honestly I want someone better than Goku or frigging Shrek. Someone with universal appeal who is as big a star as Mario or Pac-Man.

I am of course referring to Mickey Mouse. The most recognisable character on the goddamn planet.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
They should never put fourth-parties in Smash, or even video game characters with nothing to do with Nintendo.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
They should never put fourth-parties in Smash, or even video game characters with nothing to do with Nintendo.
If they haven't made a Nintendo system appearance, they couldn't get in, so they "will" have something to do with Nintendo regardless.

4th parties(A.K.A. non-video game characters, a fun subset of 3rd parties) still have a better chance than any character who never made a Nintendo appearance. The fact they made that appearance automatically means "they have something to do with Nintendo". And I'm sure Sakurai means a significant appearance, like being more than a short cameo. A key npc, playable, major background monster, etc.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If 'fourth parties' ever occurred(not a real term btw) honestly I want someone better than Goku or frigging Shrek. Someone with universal appeal who is as big a star as Mario or Pac-Man.

I am of course referring to Mickey Mouse. The most recognisable character on the goddamn planet.
Popeye all the way. He inspired the creation of Mario and Donkey Kong who largely went on to build modern gaming plus if he was even a quarter as badass as he is in his MUGEN build, he'd be a fantastic fighter.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Popeye all the way. He inspired the creation of Mario and Donkey Kong who largely went on to build modern gaming plus if he was even a quarter as badass as he is in his MUGEN build, he'd be a fantastic fighter.
Plus, he could provide vegetable health tips. :troll:

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
Let me rephrase what I stated earlier. Simply following the normal rules PLUS GOKU/BATMAN/WHOEVER would be weird.

But having a game with all sorts of characters in it would be insanely awesome.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
This 4th Party talk is incredibly boring. Why you people fear this would even be CONSIDERED is beyond me.
That being said, I have no problem with Hatsune Miku for Smash. She has a name, y'know!
#unpopularopinions.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
This 4th Party talk is incredibly boring. Why you people fear this would even be CONSIDERED is beyond me.
That being said, I have no problem with Hatsune Miku for Smash. She has a name, y'know!
#unpopularopinions.
I have a friend who was saying since she's so popular and she's going to have a game on 3DS she has a good shot of being in the next Smash Bros.

I mean, now that I think of it I wouldn't really mind fourth party characters it would just depend on who they are. I'm more afraid of the door that gets opened by it. Mickey Mouse would be fantastic and fit in perfectly but the thing is he's so famous he outshines Mario, which might be a problem. I don't really want any anime characters and I recognize that would make me a hypocrite to protest their inclusions only to be okay with characters I really like getting in that aren't video game characters.

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I have a friend who was saying since she's so popular and she's going to have a game on 3DS she has a good shot of being in the next Smash Bros.

I mean, now that I think of it I wouldn't really mind fourth party characters it would just depend on who they are. I'm more afraid of the door that gets opened by it. Mickey Mouse would be fantastic and fit in perfectly but the thing is he's so famous he outshines Mario, which might be a problem. I don't really want any anime characters and I recognize that would make me a hypocrite to protest their inclusions only to be okay with characters I really like getting in that aren't video game characters.
She's having a game on the 3DS?!?!
I knew that. But it's pretty meh looking compared to the PS3 and Vita games. It's gonna take more than a dinky 3DS game to bring Miku to the table. (To be honest, I first want to see her in a Sega All Stars thing.)

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
She's having a game on the 3DS?!?!
I knew that. But it's pretty meh looking compared to the PS3 and Vita games. It's gonna take more than a dinky 3DS game to bring Miku to the table. (To be honest, I first want to see her in a Sega All Stars thing.)
Do Vita versions of games tend to be better than their 3DS counterparts? I know the Vita has better hardware but I always kinda figured the Multi plat games were like comparing the Xbox 360 version to the PS3 version.

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Do Vita versions of games tend to be better than their 3DS counterparts? I know the Vita has better hardware but I always kinda figured the Multi plat games were like comparing the Xbox 360 version to the PS3 version.
Oh it's like night and day. Mind you, they're completely different games. See, the 3DS has the character models all super chibi like how they did Bravely Default or Persona Q. I don't necessarily hate chibi, but compared to the full body models that the PS3/Vita game (they're essentially the same game), I much prefer those. I'd post videos for comparison but I'm on mobile right now and I don't even remember what the 3DS one is called.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Oh it's like night and day. Mind you, they're completely different games. See, the 3DS has the character models all super chibi like how they did Bravely Default or Persona Q. I don't necessarily hate chibi, but compared to the full body models that the PS3/Vita game (they're essentially the same game), I much prefer those. I'd post videos for comparison but I'm on mobile right now and I don't even remember what the 3DS one is called.
That's one thing you got to give the Vita; even if it's not doing so well it's still an awesome system.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
That's one thing you got to give the Vita; even if it's not doing so well it's still an awesome system.
Oh yeah definitely. Even though there's absolutely nothing exclusive I want to play on Vita, it's still wonderfully powerful. Imagine what the 3DS could've done with that power *cough*iceclimbers*cough*

the8thark

Smash Lord
I'm over Fountain of Dreams, both the stage and the song.
Fountain of Dreams the stage was just a different battlefield stage. Not the best stage ever. I'm ok with it gone.
Fountain of Dreams the music was totally amazing and spectacular. I think it should be in SSB4 WiiU.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
Fountain of Dreams the stage was just a different battlefield stage. Not the best stage ever. I'm ok with it gone.
Fountain of Dreams the music was totally amazing and spectacular. I think it should be in SSB4 WiiU.
It is a good song. I'm mostly just so very tired of hearing about it. It wasn't even my favorite song in Melee by a few degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom