• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
It is a good song. I'm mostly just so very tired of hearing about it. It wasn't even my favorite song in Melee by a few degrees.
Same. People constantly play that stage on my campus. I've easily heard it for about 10 hours collectively this week so far just hanging out in the student hangout building place thing.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:
It would be great if everyone provided reasoning for their opinions. Some of you do, but others just stick their opinion in here and leave. I visit this thread in order to see others' perspectives, but it doesn't really work unless I can better understand the reasoning. For instance, this was recently posted:
I'd like if tourneys had Final Smashes too.

At the very least.
Why do you feel that Final Smashes would enrich tournament play? You say "at the very least", but what are the additional changes you're implying?
I'd like to know why you think this. I'm not picking on you specifically; this goes for anyone else who does this.

Last edited:

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:
It would be great if everyone provided reasoning for their opinions. Some of you do, but others just stick their opinion in here and leave. I visit this thread in order to see others' perspectives, but it doesn't really work unless I can better understand the reasoning. For instance, this was recently posted:

Why do you feel that Final Smashes would enrich tournament play? You say "at the very least", but what are the additional changes you're implying?
I'd like to know why you think this. I'm not picking on you specifically; this goes for anyone else who does this.
I'LL GET THE MONEY, JUST GIVE ME MORE TIME!

It would enrich it because it would because players to think strategically against something that could kill them. It gets rid of the "No Items, Final Destination, Fox Only" meme. It opens up new changes to competitive play. This would actually make me want to watch it.

"At the very least" means adding more items. I heard somewhere that the reason items are banned is because Exploding Capsules were unfair.

But what about the rest?

Someone had a lame idea and say "it doesn't show true skill." I don't believe that.

It doesn't give you 100% of the game.

It also sucks that there will be hardly anything shown off in tournaments.

Seriously, if I see something I have to decide "Yay, the competitive community will be forced to use it" or B "Crap, they won't."

It doesn't make sense to me, why ban the whole thing when you can ban one?

And more importantly, I think competitive shouldn't be so close-minded.

DISCLAIMER: I hardly know anything about competitive Smash. Spare me thy arguments.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Giga Bowser sucks. Sure as a kid I always wanted to play Giga Bowser in Melee but his Final Smash in Brawl is mad underwhelming. They should've given Bowser a new FS and have Giga Bohser be a boss again. Also, why haven't they gone further with the concept of Giga characters? Where's Giga Ganon? Giga Wolf? Giga...... Jigglypuff?

That's a whole lot of Gigas...

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
I'LL GET THE MONEY, JUST GIVE ME MORE TIME!

It would enrich it because it would because players to think strategically against something that could kill them. It gets rid of the "No Items, Final Destination, Fox Only" meme. It opens up new changes to competitive play. This would actually make me want to watch it.

"At the very least" means adding more items. I heard somewhere that the reason items are banned is because Exploding Capsules were unfair.

But what about the rest?

Someone had a lame idea and say "it doesn't show true skill." I don't believe that.

It doesn't give you 100% of the game.

It also sucks that there will be hardly anything shown off in tournaments.

Seriously, if I see something I have to decide "Yay, the competitive community will be forced to use it" or B "Crap, they won't."

It doesn't make sense to me, why ban the whole thing when you can ban one?

And more importantly, I think competitive shouldn't be so close-minded.

DISCLAIMER: I hardly know anything about competitive Smash. Spare me thy arguments.
Items are banned because their random nature takes away from the skill-based play, not just because of Exploding Capsules. Even small changes caused by less effective items are undesirable when money is on the line. Smash Balls are banned not only because of their random appearances, but also because of how frequently they appear even with items on Low, not to mention the fact that they over-centralize gameplay toward hunting for the Smash Ball rather than actually fighting (this last point is one of the reasons why stages like Warioware Inc. is banned, BTW).

As for "hardly anything shown off a tournaments", things are looking up in that regard; stage list predictions show a very real possibility of having more legal stages than any Smash game thus far (excluding Project M).

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
  • There should've been a Mario & Luigi Stage on the 3DS and a Paper Mario stage on the Wii U. I'm upset that a Paper Mario stage wasn't on the Wii U.
  • Not sure why Bowser's Castle isn't its own stage yet. It's only in almost all the games.
  • I still think Kid Icarus received a bit much.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
Newer stages like Spirit Train, 3D World, and Find Mii are actually pretty okay when played in 4 player fights with items on.

Paper Mario is always awful though...

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
The are like the most popular opinions around
Possibly, but I do not see many people on the Boards expressing that. However, I can add some more really unpopular ones.

• Masterpieces are a waste of time to me, especially due to the fact that the eshop exists.
  • The new Smash Tour mode doesn't excite me all that much.
  • By looks, I prefer the 3DS Classic Mode over the Wii U one.
  • Not enough unlockable content.
  • Jungle Hijinx has at least 6 different versions. That's way too many for one song, there's more stages in Donkey Kong than that.
  • Paper Mario should have at least 2 songs in the Wii U version.
  • Smashville shouldn't have returned and Tortimer Island should've taken its place. Heck, if they came up with something different then I'd be okay with that, but the two stages are nearly identical.
  • Pokémon should have 3 stages.
  • I love 8-player Smash, but it lost a lot of value when I found out that it was local play only. I don't even know that many people willing to play Smash.
  • I appreciate that the Records menu is still returning.
  • The Wario Land series has very little content in Smash, that's pathetic.
  • Melee Mute City > Brawl Mute City
  • Final Destination looks really epic.
  • Flat Zone X is a good idea, but I was really hoping for a new Game & Watch stage.
  • Speaking of G&W, the music is lacking. Game & Watch Gallery has plenty of music choices.

Last edited:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I do love Charizard, don't get me wrong, but it kind of sucks how neither Charmander or Dragonite will ever have a chance because of him and to be honest I would take that duo over him. Oh well, whatever.

the8thark

Smash Lord
If I was Sakurai I would have put Ryu Hayabusa in as a newcomer into SSB4. And added in a stage or two from Ninja Gaiden 2 NES.

In this spoiler tag is a fully fleshed out (with gifs for every move) Ryu Hayabusa which I think would have been a great starting point to having him in SSB4.

That I have done below, worked out a rough move set for him.

Why Ryu Hayabusa?
He was in a trilogy on NES games and the trilogy was remade for the SNES (similar to the NES Mario trilogy remade for Mario All Stars). Also he's a bad *** ninja with a cool ninja sword. More obsecure Nintendo characters have been SSB characters in the past. Lucas or Rob or Game and Watch - Remember those? Anyway I think people would enjoy playing as Ryu Hayabusa in SSB Wii U. I think making him like the recent games is a bad idea. He needs to follow his NES roots.

Playing Style
Ryu Hayabusa would be based off his NES style. Sure he does feature in modern games but none of them are on Nintendo and since SSB is mainly for characters featured on games on Nintendo consoles, I think that's fair. And better in a way as NES ninja skills would make for a very good SSB Wii U Character. He is fast, agile, able to climb walls, swing a sword, create a double of himself and let some really cool ninpo (Ninja magic.) His weakness? He is very light weight and is easily flung around a lot. This is evident in the NES games as hits send him flying. And his jump height is average. Not high and not low.

Move Set
I will describe possible moves for Ryu Hayabusa for most button combinations. I'll use GIFs I've made from videos taken from playing the Ninja Gaiden NES games on an emulator. So you can have a visual representation of the moves. This I feel is a better way to understand the character.

A - Dragon Sword
Down + A - I have not thought of a move for this. Possibly just a ducking sword stab.

Left + A or Right + A - Dragon Sword Upgraded

Smash + A - Hard Kick

Up + A - Spin Slash (also works as a recovery move)

Left + A or Right + A while in the air - Aerial Dragon Slash or an Aerial punch/kick (I have GIFs for both options)

Aerial Recovery Move - Spin Slash. This means Ryu has no 2nd jump. Just one jump and the recovery. This is because I feel a 2nd jump with the wall climbing is a little OP.

B- Shuriken

Left + B or Right + B - Windmill Shuriken

Hold B for a few seconds without moving - Create a clone. The clone lasts for a short time (different to NG2) and only does 50% damage but mimics all of Ryu's moves.

http://i.minus.com/i6xLoCB1hF9z1.gif[img]

Up + B - Fire Ninpo

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/iLtrUIQw9Y2U.gif

Down + B - Fireball Ninpo

http://i.minus.com/iyPacuYnL4t2K.gif[img]

Throw - Nothing fancy here, just an average throw.

Block - Ryu parries the enemies moves with his sword

Super special ability from Smash Ball - Art of the Fire Wheels Ninpo (only if Smash Balls exist in SSB Wii U) - Makes Ryu invincible for a limited time and damaging anyone who comes into contact with the Fire Wheel. TO make the ability usable everyone else is slowed quite a lot while this special ability is in effect.

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ibrytyk1s33bqR.gif

Character Ability - Wall Climbing

http://i.minus.com/i8PeW1omkMGb5.gif[img]

[size=7[b]Stage Possibilities[/b][/size]

Ninja Gaiden 2 NES have a few good options.
Stage 2-1 - Battling on a fast moving train where you can easily fall off.
Stage 2-2 - Having the snow push everyone in all different directions would be interesting.
Stage 3-1 - A stage with a few holes. Pretty ordinary right? But . . . it's completely dark. Only the players and items and the moon can be seen, not the land itself. But every 10 seconds or so a bolt of lightning hits the ground. This injures no one, but it makes the ground visible for a few seconds.

If you want screen shots or GIFs of these pleas let me know and I'll make some.

Conclusion

Not much else to say. What do you think about all of this? All feedback is greatly appreciated.
And it's pretty obvious I am a fan of the original Ninja Gaiden series. Even NG3 which I think is not that good a game. And I do support Ryu to be in the game.[/spoiler]

Alses

Smash Apprentice
Unpopular opinions:
1 - Ganondorf's moveset should be given to Blood Falcon (Newcomer which unfortunately didn't come) and let Ganondorf be reinvented as a new character.
2 - Everything Kid Icarus related should be removed =| I hate that franchise.
3 - Classic mode on the Wii U sucks.
4 - I'm still disappointed at the tiny amount of hats and outfits the Mii Fighters get. They don't even have hats for all the characters nor enemies...
5 - The master core and all of it's forms are annoying, useless and lame. Master Hand and Crazy Hand should at least reach 0% before they die to spawn the stupid sequence of bosses. IMO The order of not worst to worst is: Hands > Shadow Clone > Beast Monster > Swords > Mr. Grab McGraberson Faceless > The game of the floor, walls and ceiling are lava and if you get launched once you'll bounce around until you die. PS: Kill the heart thingies. PPS: Here's an enemy that reflects your projectiles and blocks attacks from the front, an enemy that spams litte shocks to stall you or charges a giant orb for you to dodge and finally one that fires a giant lazer that if you get hit by there is no escape and you WILL get launched.. BTW There are like 5 of those lasts ones in every room.

So if anyone hasn't played solo classic on the Wii U yet I recommend not caring at all about it. Worst final bosses ever.

Kaiboiii

Smash Cadet
Like all the other amiibo that were supposed to have clear plastic sticks but never did?
So even if he's perfect for the game, already has a moveset samurai wouldn't have to do ****, just because he can't have a gimmicky amiibo he can't be playable

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Like all the other amiibo that were supposed to have clear plastic sticks but never did?
For Rayman, an easy fix is to make his render include some sort of prop that he is gripping to, and therefore, no support beams are required for his Amiibo:

Last edited:

pershona

Smash Journeyman
Lucina is almost as bad of a clone as Pichu.
Chrom would have been a way better character for Smash, even if he could be an Ike clone. Also Roy should return. It would be 5 FE characters, but the series deserves it.

WT!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WT_Smash
3DS FC
4597-0015-7814
Switch FC
SW-3650-7945-8401
I hate the new ledge mechanic, and how easy it is to recover from below because of it. I spike you, and get a good ledge grab in to finish the job, nope. You're coming back, and likely putting me in the disadvantageous position!

the8thark

Smash Lord
In my opinion the order of importance of FE characters in SSB is this.
  1. Marth
  2. Roy
  3. Ike
  4. Lucina
  5. Chrom
One character on the list can only be there if all the previous ones are there as well. Marth has no prerequisites. But Roy is only there if Marth also is. Ike is only there is Marth and Roy are already there as characters. Etc etc down the list. Chrom at the end can only be a character if all other 4 are characters in the game.

WT!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WT_Smash
3DS FC
4597-0015-7814
Switch FC
SW-3650-7945-8401
Also, the intro sucks. And so does the theme song.

Zol

Smash Apprentice
Unpopular opinions:
1 - Ganondorf's moveset should be given to Blood Falcon (Newcomer which unfortunately didn't come) and let Ganondorf be reinvented as a new character.
2 - Everything Kid Icarus related should be removed =| I hate that franchise.
those opinions are a lot more popular than you think

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I don't really care about having another F-Zero character (though I certainly wouldn't mind Samurai Goroh) but I feel like at the very least they could give Captain Falcon a full on Blood Falcon alt. or if they're not going to give him any new stages on the Wii U version they could have brought back two old stages instead of just one. So like Big Blue from Melee alongside Port Town Aero Dive from Brawl; the same would be good for Ness getting Onett from Melee and New Pork City from Brawl.

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
In my opinion the order of importance of FE characters in SSB is this.
  1. Marth
  2. Roy
  3. Ike
  4. Lucina
  5. Chrom
One character on the list can only be there if all the previous ones are there as well. Marth has no prerequisites. But Roy is only there if Marth also is. Ike is only there is Marth and Roy are already there as characters. Etc etc down the list. Chrom at the end can only be a character if all other 4 are characters in the game.
I'll follow this up with an unpopular opinion of my own: Roy is on the bottom of my list for characters I'd like to see brought back, and I don't think it makes much sense to do so. He was introduced in Melee as a marketing ploy for a game that was only released in Japan, brought very little to the game (True, he's more distinct than Lucina gameplay-wise, but Lucina at least has a personality that bleeds through a bit), and apparently isn't popular among fans of his series. Why do people want him back? Because of Melee nostalgia? Okay I guess.

We have a much better Roy now anyway.

KingCowman

Smash Rookie
  • The new Smash Tour mode doesn't excite me all that much.
This thread is for UNPOPULAR opinions LOL

Smash Tour is amazing and online smash tour (or something similar) should be in Smash 5, mostly cause I cant find enough people that dont hate it to play 25 rounds with me. :(

Lemon Girl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Maguitus
3DS FC
0147-0570-9943
  • I think the game would be tons of times better if you couldn't airdodge out of tumble.
    Reasoning: Combos would be longer and most characters would stop suffering from Marth' syndrome at higher percentages. It can become really difficult to finish some off once they reach around 130%, Sky's tournament demonstrated this, even tho the matches were pretty hype.
  • I hate Diddy as of now, he's so good yet so boring to watch, he makes matches last forever.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
  • I think the game would be tons of times better if you couldn't airdodge out of tumble.
    Reasoning: Combos would be longer and most characters would stop suffering from Marth' syndrome at higher percentages. It can become really difficult to finish some off once they reach around 130%, Sky's tournament demonstrated this, even tho the matches were pretty hype.
I have to agree with you about this one. I have fun trying to find combos with various characters, but how easy is airdoging ruins a lot of combo potential. It's also frustrating when I try to finish the opponent with an air move, I try to hit but I can't just because airdoge spam u_u

the8thark

Smash Lord
I'll follow this up with an unpopular opinion of my own: Roy is on the bottom of my list for characters I'd like to see brought back, and I don't think it makes much sense to do so. He was introduced in Melee as a marketing ploy for a game that was only released in Japan, brought very little to the game (True, he's more distinct than Lucina gameplay-wise, but Lucina at least has a personality that bleeds through a bit), and apparently isn't popular among fans of his series. Why do people want him back? Because of Melee nostalgia? Okay I guess.

We have a much better Roy now anyway.
Wow, your opinion is unpopular. But I can see where you are coming from though. SSB as a series is based on nostalgia. Half the characters in SSB4 are there for nostalgia alone. Be it fan nostalgia or Sakurai nostalgia. And I think :roymelee: brought a lot to the game. I see no reason that all 5 can't be in SSB though. If Mario and Pokemon and KI can be over represented, then FE can be as well.

SSB is not there to cater to the fans of each IP. SSB exists to bring new people into the various IPs so the IPs get new fans. :roymelee: did that in Melee. And Shulk is attempting to do that in SSB4. I would say if it was only :marth: in Melee and not :roymelee: I'd not like FE as much as I do now. I knew nothing about FE before Melee hit. I didn't like :marth: in melee at all but I liked :roymelee: a lot. It was :roymelee: that got me to research up FE.

That is just me though. It means zip for SSB4 as both :roymelee: is not in the game. A shame but we all move on.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I know it's a popular opinion amongst competitive smashers that he should return but good golly half the internet seems so content with him gone...

I want my Lucas back so badly...

aethermaster

Smash Ace
NNID
Aethermaster
3DS FC
2552-2699-1664
This game is really making me hate Melee fans. As a Melee>Brawl fan myself, this is a bit concerning. Hearing "Smash 4 ResidentSleeper" is already getting ****ing old and I want to punch people who say that. Melee isn't going anywhere, why can't we have this game, PM, 4? I love the game and I see myself playing it for years down the road like I did Melee, with or without the competitive community.

I finally understand how Brawl fans must feel now and I feel a little bad for making fun of Brawl now. Idk if this is unpopular opinion really but its just how I feel.

Zol

Smash Apprentice
after seeing the average little mac user in action i'm no longer excited for him and dont want to use him, ever

he's kind of lame

Alses

Smash Apprentice
Smash for the Wii U has made me actually WANT to destroy my gamepad.. It is the only game in which the gamepad lags and is unresponsive and it's pissing me off to no end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom