• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
I groan every time they introduce a new freakishly big stage. Palutena's Temple and the Great Cave Offensive look way too chaotic to be fun. I'm not really on board with 8 player smash either for the same reason. Watching videos of it is kind of funny at first but quickly becomes jarring when it becomes apparent that there's way too much going on at once.
Yeah, this is line with what I was saying. A lot of the 8-player stages are zoomed out to fit everyone in that I can barely see what is going on, let alone follow along with the action. And on top of that, a lot of the 8-player stages (Gaur Plains, Palutena's Temple, 75m) have you jumping across teeny-weeny platforms above a giant chasm while the main platforms for fighting are way up at the level's top. And Great Cave Offensive just looks like a mess.

I'm fairly excited to try 8-player Smash, but it doesn't seem like I'll be leaving Battlefield/Big Battlefield very often.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Mii Swordfighter's moves could have easily went to a unique Chrom instead of Original Character Donut Steel Swordsman,
I see your point here, but creating generic swordplay moves came out of nowhere like they did with the Mii Swordfighter would do little justice to Chrom IMO, and I think that it was exactly what Sakurai didn't want to do. The special moves for Fire Emblem sword users are not something obvious to create, most of Marth's and Ike's special moves have obscure origin based more on concepts than actual moves; for example, according to the wiki, Shield Breaker could be inspired from the rapier's ability to inflict effective damage against armored units, and Dancing Blade looks like the Astra skill, a technique that only existed in Genealogy of the Holy War and Thracia 776 (during the Melee times) were Marth never appeared. The only obvious special move being Ike's Aether.

The Robin Guidance is proof that Sakurai is hypocritical when it comes to certain characters, no two ways about it.
I have to admit you're right on this one :awesome:

If I had an unpopular opinion to say here... eh, I love the Mii Fighter feature (I guess it can be called unpopular, the Mii Fighters got less than 50 % satisfaction in the Rate Their Chances final days). At first I didn't care about them, but then I tried it and started to think that it was extremely fun. I'm also glad that they didn't get a moveset based on Wii Sports or something, not only it was what I feared prior to their confirmation, but what's the point of creating a Mii based on your favourite fictional character if it's to have a moveset based on Wii Sports? The Wuhu Island stage is here to represent Wii Sports.

Also I don't think that the Ice Climbers will return in the next Smash game, regardless of if the next handheld generation (assuming we get a new portable Smash in the future in the first place) will be able to make them work properly, UNLESS they get a KI:U-like revival. Smash was literally what made them still relevant due to them lacking a particular importance towards Nintendo's story like other retros (G&W, R.O.B, DHD). I think that their only chance to return is either an Ice Climber IP revival or Sakurai absolutely wanting to bring back their gimmick, both of those being unlikely IMO. And I don't see the point of having solo Popo with Nana as an Alph-like alt, their gimmick potential is the reason why they got their playable role in Melee in the first place.

Last edited:

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730
If, anyone who's plays: The World Ends With You series on The original Nintendo DS, then Neku Sakuraba needed to be requested for SMASH franchise as DLC playable character and especially besides I mean, Masahiro Sakurai-San kinda did put resemblance reference of a spinoff Inpincible Tin Pin Slammer Battle mode, which is the same thing in SMASH 4 is called: Street Smash!
neku_for_ssb4_by_elemental_aura-d6zs93f.jpg

Last edited:

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
Look at me I'm Triple H and I'm holding a mic with a half hour on the card for me to talk into it

* I feel that a lot of the people that despise the inclusion of the Miis lack the creativity to see how enjoyable they can be. And also maybe friends to use them online against.

* People are getting more and more obsessed over the concept of characters being cut from this game and the game that follows it. Like, I'd hate to see Smash Bros fans speculation on character line-ups for other fighting games. The thought of them speculating over Mortal Kombat X's final line-up is terrifying.

* Though I admit that I feel DLC should prioritize veterans that didn't make the initial roster due to time constraints. Like, leave some ammo for the sequels.

* A lot of "For Fun" type players are every bit as egotistical as their generalizations of "For Glory" type players. I would know from experience being a "For Fun" type player that plays with other "For Fun" type players.

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
* A lot of "For Fun" type players are every bit as egotistical as their generalizations of "For Glory" type players. I would know from experience being a "For Fun" type player that plays with other "For Fun" type players.
I've noticed that too after being on here for a few months. The people that think ATs are "stupid" and Project M is the devil.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Recognition doesn't matter at all. Much less people know who Ike is or even falco.
I don't know about Falco. He's not exactly famous outside the gaming community but considering how popular Star Fox 64 he probably has more recognition than Rosalina does.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I don't know about Falco. He's not exactly famous outside the gaming community but considering how popular Star Fox 64 he probably has more recognition than Rosalina does.
Mario Galaxy sold almost 3x as many copies as every version of Star Fox 64 combined, and that's without even taking into account other games she was in, like Mario Kart.

If Falco is more well known than Rosalina, it's only because of Melee and Brawl.

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
* Recognition is a logical fallacy when you look at a good chunk of the roster.

* Recognition is in the eye of the beholder.

* If recognition was the only qualifying factor for a character's inclusion, the character line up would be boring.

Archimedes

The Rad Simisear
Switch FC
7772-6031-3529
- I wanted Chrom as either a Ike clone, Marth clone, or a new character over Lucina. Though I am over all more happy Robin made it in.

- I really think all the newcommers they added (besides miis) Deserve to be in the game.

- I really wanted Dillon from Dillon's Rolling Western to be a character.

- I wish the wii u had exclusive characters :popo::wolf::lucas:

- Fire Emblem deserves 4 reps after FE:A

- I wish :4sonic: was out. I know it wont happen I just find is moveset irritating, as well as I hate the way hes played. I guess I really dont wish him to be gone its just based on frustration.

- Even though :4robinm: doesn't have "Time to tip the scales!" his voice actor is way better Shouty Mcrude :4robinf:

- :wolf: should've been in over :4falco:. I like falco but wolf was the only Starfox character I could stand to play.

- I wanted Chesnaught over:4greninja: but I understand why he is a better choice

Last edited:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
* Recognition is a logical fallacy when you look at a good chunk of the roster.

* Recognition is in the eye of the beholder.

* If recognition was the only qualifying factor for a character's inclusion, the character line up would be boring.
Yeah, you're completely right about that.

Mario Galaxy sold almost 3x as many copies as every version of Star Fox 64 combined, and that's without even taking into account other games she was in, like Mario Kart.

If Falco is more well known than Rosalina, it's only because of Melee and Brawl.
Hm. That's a good possibility. Although Rosalina is also fairly new, she's not quite on par with Mario or Peach yet, but maybe if Nintendo continues to push her the way they do she will be one day, though.

Last edited:

Kaynel

Smash Rookie
NNID
BurstBlade
3DS FC
2277-6863-0351
- I wish :4sonic: was out. I know it wont happen I just find is moveset irritating, as well as I hate the way hes played. I guess I really dont wish him to be gone its just based on frustration.

- Even though :4robinm: doesn't have "Its time to tip the scales!" his voice actor is way better Shouty Mcrude :4robinf:

- :wolf: should've been in over :4falco:. I like falco but wolf was the only Starfox character I could stand to play.

- I wanted Chesnaught over:4greninja: but I understand why he is a better choice
-I agree about :4sonic:, P:M has shown that Sonic has more moves that he actually uses in his games, so there's really no reason why he couldn't have more than his spinny moves. I don't mind them so much, but even his Side B could have been changed to the Super Peel Out from Sonic CD, just to make it look different. His Nair should have been something different entirely, too.

-:4robinm: sort of has that?? He says "Let's tip the scales."

-I happen to like all the Starfox characters and I think this same thing sometimes, since he was far less cloney than Falco AND is a major antagonist in Starfox

-:4greninja: is not only hugely popular but seriously one of the best designed Pokemon ever.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Nintendo's game patch notes suck really hard. Nintendo do not itemise the bug fixes or even all of the changes.
"Quality of life improvements". What the **** Nintendo? Care to explain what improvements they are exactly?

Blizzard on the other hand have amazing patch notes. They detail everything, even bug fixes. I wish Nintendo's game patch notes could be this good one day.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Recognizably among the casuals means nothing in terms of Smash DLC.

Been a while since I posted here.

- The Robin Guidance is proof that Sakurai is hypocritical when it comes to certain characters, no two ways about it.
I actually agree with this, considering that Chrom was made fun of precisely for his lack of uniqueness. The fact that Chrom even says for no reason that Robin would have been more useful than a "simple swordsman" such as himself pretty much drives it home. That line seems so phoned-in and out of character, serving only to unnecessarily make Robin look good whilst making Chrom looks bad.

Clones are one thing, making fun out of a different character for being precisely a potential clone whilst including clones, even as last minute additions, is just plain old hypocritical.

Also, whilst Lucina was more popular among Awakening fans it was only in terms of Smash demand that Chrom was more popular than Lucina considering he was among the top 10 requests.

Last edited:

Kaynel

Smash Rookie
NNID
BurstBlade
3DS FC
2277-6863-0351

I actually agree with this, considering that Chrom was made fun of precisely for his lack of uniqueness. The fact that Chrom even says for no reason that Robin would have been more useful than a "simple swordsman" such as himself pretty much drives it home. That line seems so phoned-in and out of character, serving only to unnecessarily make Robin look good whilst making Chrom looks bad.

Clones are one thing, making fun out of a different character for being precisely a potential clone whilst including clones, even as last minute additions, is just plain old hypocritical.

Also, whilst Lucina was more popular among Awakening fans it was only in terms of Smash demand that Chrom was more popular than Lucina considering he was among the top 10 requests.
I said it earlier and I'm going to say it again. It's very obviously a joke.

The way she says the line is clear enough to tell.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I think most casuals have a worse attitude to this game than competitive players.

I've never seen competitive players criticise casuals for playing the way they do, and most competitive players play the casual way often anyway.

Yet tons of casual players criticise competitive players for taking it too seriously and not having fun. People play competitively because they find it fun, I don't know why this is so hard for people to understand.

The irony of it all is that casuals always throw the word 'fun' around, yet they're the ones who criticise people for playing the game in a different way to what they've decided is 'fun'.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996

How is that hypocritical? Robin was added over Chrom due to offering more gameplay potential than him, and he was kinda right when he pointed out that he would most likely turn out to be just another swordsman.
And please don't tell me it is hypocritical because they added clones in the end. The Fire Emblem addition was only going to be Robin while Lucina was planned as an alt for Marth but in the end it was opted for her to become her own character, she simply got lucky. It was not a case of them getting in over Chrom.

Plus, those conversations were merely played for laughs. Or is this the part where we scrutinize and take everything about the game very seriously because it tells us hidden truths about Sakurai? Over-analyzing leads nowhere.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

- Anthony Higgs and Sylux are worthy contenders for being Metroid reps besides Ridley and Damus.

- Fox's voice is likeable after a while.

- I prefer SSB4's physics rather than Melee's.

- The way the Miis are included is greater than I've expected.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Rosalina and Luma eat up a better served roster spot, most people don't even know who she is.
Factually incorrect. Rosalina is immensely popular, and even the developers of 3D World have vouched for it. It's the sole reason she was made playable in 3D World.

She's also by far the most used character in MK8's online (though that is probably gonna shake up a bit with the new DLC - Links are everywhere right now, but I'm sure things will become more spread out in general after some time).

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
I think people are taking the clone joke too seriously, It was for the people who hate clones and not the chrom fans.
I think people are only saying Kid Icarus and Fire emblem are over rep because they are not as popular as Mario and Pokemon.

the8thark

Smash Lord
I think people are taking the clone joke too seriously, It was for the people who hate clones and not the chrom fans.
I think people are only saying Kid Icarus and Fire emblem are over rep because they are not as popular as Mario and Pokemon.
Pokemon is over represented on the WIiU. Not on the 3DS though as it is a portable console thing.
And if you consider the Yoshi IP to be part of the Mario IP then Mario is over represented as well. But that's one we can cut Sakurai a little slack on as Mario sort of is Nintendo.

Last edited:

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
Pokemon is over represented on the WIiU. Not on the 3DS though as it is a portable console thing.
And if you consider the Yoshi IP to be part of the Mario IP then Mario is over represented as well. But that's one we can cut Sakurai a little slack on as Mario sort of is Nintendo.
I just saying people are hypocritical when it come to kid Icarus and Fire Emblem, attacking fire emblem and kid Icarus for have more characters and then turn a round ask for more Mario and Pokemon characters makes them hypocrites. And I hate the whole Mario is Nintendo thing, Nintendo is more than just him, if Mario died Nintendo will be just fine and maybe give other franchise a chance to shine.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Factually incorrect. Rosalina is immensely popular, and even the developers of 3D World have vouched for it. It's the sole reason she was made playable in 3D World.

She's also by far the most used character in MK8's online (though that is probably gonna shake up a bit with the new DLC - Links are everywhere right now, but I'm sure things will become more spread out in general after some time).
Indeed. Even my sister who doesn't care about video games but likes Mario Galaxy and Mario Kart knows who she is.

Anywho, I think it's hypocritical when people make comments like this regarding a character's inclusion due to their lack of popularity. Very few knew who were Ness and Captain Falcon, nobody asked for the Ice Climbers, nobody was actively wanting Marth, or G&W, or ROB; yet this days most of us can't think of Smash without them.

Last edited:

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
I just saying people are hypocritical when it come to kid Icarus and Fire Emblem, attacking fire emblem and kid Icarus for have more characters and then turn a round ask for more Mario and Pokemon characters makes them hypocrites. And I hate the whole Mario is Nintendo thing, Nintendo is more than just him, if Mario died Nintendo will be just fine and maybe give other franchise a chance to shine.
Try to imagine Disney without Mickey Mouse as the figurehead. It's weird and kind of empty-feeling. That would be Nintendo without Mario. He's their mascot, he's their most popular and lucrative character and he's their figurehead. For all intents and purposes, he IS Nintendo.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Try to imagine Disney without Mickey Mouse as the figurehead. It's weird and kind of empty-feeling. That would be Nintendo without Mario. He's their mascot, he's their most popular and lucrative character and he's their figurehead. For all intents and purposes, he IS Nintendo.
I agree, franchises like Mario and Pokemon are very important to Nintendo as, of course, are Mario and Pikachu, especially Mario, considering he is their mascot.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
It's going to get to a point in time people are going to stop playing Mario and Pokemon, they are running Mario and Pokemon into the ground. They need to give these two franchises a break before they become the next COD. They are over working these franchises they need to stop before it really is the end of Pokemon and Mario. And Disney to me already killed Mickey Mouse, I don't see him anywhere besides the parks.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I prefer newcomers of unrepresented series over newcomers of already represented series. Which means I would much rather have Inkling (Splatoon), Isaac (Golden Sun), Eternal Darkness (or even Fatal Frame, though it isn't 1st party) rep, Sami or Andy (Advance Wars), Lip (Panel de Pon), Chibi-Robo, etc... Over Impa, Dixie Kong, yet another Pokémon rep, yet another FE rep, yet another KI rep or even veterans like Wolf and Lucas coming back.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
I prefer newcomers of unrepresented series over newcomers of already represented series. Which means I would much rather have Inkling (Splatoon), Isaac (Golden Sun), Eternal Darkness (or even Fatal Frame, though it isn't 1st party) rep, Sami or Andy (Advance Wars), Lip (Panel de Pon), Chibi-Robo, etc... Over Impa, Dixie Kong, yet another Pokémon rep, yet another FE rep, yet another KI rep or even veterans like Wolf and Lucas coming back.
Sakurai seems to have the same opinion, as there was a focus on introducing new series in this title.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Sakurai seems to have the same opinion, as there was a focus on introducing new series in this title.
Hopefully he keeps that opinion when deciding the DLC characters. That is, if there are any DLC characters other than Edgy Mew.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
It's going to get to a point in time people are going to stop playing Mario and Pokemon, they are running Mario and Pokemon into the ground. They need to give these two franchises a break before they become the next COD. They are over working these franchises they need to stop before it really is the end of Pokemon and Mario. And Disney to me already killed Mickey Mouse, I don't see him anywhere besides the parks.
Disney runs new Mickey cartoons on Disney Channel all the time. Mickey Mouse Clubhouse is still a thing. He starred in an Oscar nominated short that played in front of Frozen last year. He's still prevalent in Kingdoms Hearts. His merchandise is still everywhere. In what way is Mickey dead?

He's not. He shouldn't be, and neither should Mario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom