• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MioTinto

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-2162-7019
I hated Mushroomy Kingdom in Brawl, but now that it has returned to 3DS without the underground level, I'm all peachy with it.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I hated Mushroomy Kingdom in Brawl, but now that it has returned to 3DS without the underground level, I'm all peachy with it.
Really? I find the Underground part more visually appealing. And it has that fantastic Super Mario Land Underground remix.
That being said, I still despise the stage...

the8thark

Smash Lord
I am so very happy at how Ridley was handled in SSB4. I'm glad it's not a humanly playable character.
Unpopular opinion? Yes. But I think Sakurai got it 100% right.

Also I want MegaManX as a clone character with MegamanX based moves.

Last edited:

MioTinto

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-2162-7019
Really? I find the Underground part more visually appealing. And it has that fantastic Super Mario Land Underground remix.
That being said, I still despise the stage...
The low ceiling combined with the section of roof blocks, you know? Not a good combination. Also, Mushroomy Kingdom had to get rid of the transformations. I don't usually mind transforming stages, but making a stage both a scrolling and transforming one is overkill.

Kaynel

Smash Rookie
NNID
BurstBlade
3DS FC
2277-6863-0351
-Smash 3DS is a fantastic game trying to get out of a console it doesn't belong on. It should never have been made and all dev time should have been focused on the Wii U Version. It would have been better and OUT by now.

-Ridley's role as a Stage Boss for Pyropshere is the only thing he should ever be,

-:4wiremac:should have only been a single costume, not 8 separate costumes.

-:4bowserjr: and :4duckhunt: were awful, ****ty character choices and I'm kind of mad about them to this day, when we could have had characters like Issac or Wonder Red instead. I would have even prefferred the return of :roypm: rather than DUCK HUNT. The character that people remember for one mildly annoying character trait 20 years ago.

-I will never accept another Smash game without :4sonic: and :4megaman: on the roster.

-:4darkpit: Should have had his own moveset incorporating his staff and some other weapons like Blades and Palms, BUT I'm actually pretty okay with how he was handled. It's very clear to me that he was made as a costume with alternate voice clips and particle effects, but they realized his Final Smash would have to be different than Pit's, as he never uses the 3ST and never would.

-I will never accept another Smash game without :4pit:,:4palutena:,:4darkpit: on the roster

-:4villager: is another dumb character choice.

-:4gaw: should have been removed in Brawl why is he still here

-why is :4jigglypuff: still here also

-:4tlink: is awesome. I'm glad he's still around.

-:4shulk: has cool alt costumes, but at least a few of them should have had his goggles.

the8thark

Smash Lord
-Smash 3DS is a fantastic game trying to get out of a console it doesn't belong on. It should never have been made and all dev time should have been focused on the Wii U Version. It would have been better and OUT by now.

-Ridley's role as a Stage Boss for Pyropshere is the only thing he should ever be,

-:4wiremac:should have only been a single costume, not 8 separate costumes.

-:4bowserjr: and :4duckhunt: were awful, ****ty character choices and I'm kind of mad about them to this day, when we could have had characters like Issac or Wonder Red instead. I would have even prefferred the return of :roypm: rather than DUCK HUNT. The character that people remember for one mildly annoying character trait 20 years ago.

-I will never accept another Smash game without :4sonic: and :4megaman: on the roster.

-:4darkpit: Should have had his own moveset incorporating his staff and some other weapons like Blades and Palms, BUT I'm actually pretty okay with how he was handled. It's very clear to me that he was made as a costume with alternate voice clips and particle effects, but they realized his Final Smash would have to be different than Pit's, as he never uses the 3ST and never would.

-I will never accept another Smash game without :4pit:,:4palutena:,:4darkpit: on the roster

-:4villager: is another dumb character choice.

-:4gaw: should have been removed in Brawl why is he still here

-why is :4jigglypuff: still here also

-:4tlink: is awesome. I'm glad he's still around.

-:4shulk: has cool alt costumes, but at least a few of them should have had his goggles.
Thank you Sakurai, we understand your KI bias very well now.
Seriously though Dark Pit is a mistake. It needs to die in a fire.

3rd party characters will come and go. As long as all the core Nintendo IPs are represented well enough life will be good. This did not happen in SSB4 but it not too bad I guess.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
In my opinion

Bandana Dee and Waddle Dee are the same thing and Nintendo interchangeably uses their names and appearance.

Also a generic trash mob similar to that of a Goomba. (smash run)

Shouldn't be considered a playable character in smash, ever.

In the new Kirby game he might reach generic Toad status, now that he has recolours.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
...I actually loved the Mushroomy Kingdom stage in Brawl, and I'm so happy to see it back.

I'm having fun, but of course, there are always things to pick apart. So here's my list, most of which I think are pretty unpopular opinions...

I am a bit annoyed at the number of Delfino-Plaza-type Touring stages we've got at this point. Aren't there any other stage gimmicks? And no, I'm not talking about things like that annoying yellow devil on Wily Castle. Great stage, but I wish just that could be turned off. Omega mode also gets rid of the extra platforms.

In terms of characters, I'm psyched about DHD. I love him as a character, and I thinks he's loads of fun to play. Ditto Bowser Jr, Rosalina, and Robin.
...I am annoyed about the clones, though, and I'd honestly be happier with three fewer characters than having the clones. Mainly since so much gets unlocked by "do X with all fighters." My worst characters are Mario, Pit, and Marth, so having to play all three of them a second time through is infuriating.
...I'm also getting more and more hateful towards the KI franchise because of how much this game exudes Pit. In brawl, I thought he was a bit annoying and trying to leech popularity from Link. Now, DP and the rest of the Pit-a-thon are making me hate Palutena, who I was actually excited for. And DP gets Zelda's FS? What, not enough people had it before? Light Arrow is the new Landmaster...

And I HATE the Palutena codec. As if KI didn't get enough, now Viridi gets to mock me for not liking what Sakurai likes. There's a feature I'll never be using...

I also am not a fan of the new 'Classic mode.' Its a good enough mode, but I would prefer a more classic (10 battles, random enemies, target smashes, etc) classic-mode. Preferably Melee's, since there, the AllStar and Classic modes threw you up against random enemies in a random order. The same order for AllStar does get irritating after a while.

And in terms of minor aesthetics, I don't like the new team battle mode. I hate those outlines, and there seems to be no way to turn them off. I got rid of the normal black ones on 3DS, but the team colored ones still show up (on the GameBoy stage, they're HUGE - almost swamping the characters themselves). I really hope we can turn them off for WiiU. I liked the red/blue/green recolors better. It would be cool now to switch people into all black recolors, but the outlines kill it for me.
And I also don't like that the characters default to the last recolor used, rather than their default. In Brawl, I would do theme battles (everyone in black, or pink, or whatever), and then later jump in for a quick default match. Now, I have to remember if I changed someone out of their default, and my OCD doesn't easily let me change the colors since then they're not selectable in the default color anymore, and I have to play them again to reset it. Also, some characters like Ganondorf are not easy to see which color they're in, so I don't know if I got it back to normal or not.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Dark Pit needs to come back in the next one, but completely decloned with claws and the Staff. I hope there's another Kid Icarus game before then to further flesh out his character.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I'm tired of hearing people say Kid Icarus is overrepresented, and people really need to stop blaming the franchise for the lack DK and Metroid.m content. The rant has been on for months now, please.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I like clones.

I'm satisfied with the roster, Mewtwo is icing on the cake.

Ganondorf is not F-Tier fodder.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
They need to redo some of the Palutena Guidance.

Palutena has no character and is contradicting her Uprising self.

Last edited:

Mariohuge

Smash Apprentice
I like mushroomy kingdom, both 1-1 and 1-2, and slightly hope that it returns in the wii u version so we have both versions of it. I'm also a fan of 75m, Mario Bros., Spear Pillar, and the extra large stages such as temple or NPC.
I love the roster, including Bowser Jr. and the Kid Icarus reps.
I'm going to use Mewtwo as my Lucario's punching bag when he comes out.
I'm also going to use Ridley as an all-character punching bag whenever I play Pyrosphere.
I like the Cynthia champion remix.
I hope poke floats returns.
The only thing I don't like about the roster is that there's no Ice Climbers, I never really used Wolf or Lucas and don't mind too much about their removal.

Yep, I probably have some of the most unpopular opinions ever in Smash, especially concerning the stages. But hey, what can I say? I find the gimmicks fun, and really, fun is all you need in a game.

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
I sincerely hope that this is actually a popular opinion, otherwise I am disappointed in the smash bros community.
Yeah, I kinda wtf'd at that post too. Are they commonly requested as newcomers or something? o 3o

Anyways, on topic:
I don't like very many hero characters and I don't understand all the collective hate towards villains and how everyone's against them being in.
For that matter I don't understand why you'd be against any character getting in. You aren't forced to play as them unless you're hardcore completionist who wants to beat every mode with every character, etc.
As a competitive player, I don't mind the gimmicky stages when just playing for fun. In fact, there are a few stage bans here and there that I find unjust to this day.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Yeah, I kinda wtf'd at that post too. Are they commonly requested as newcomers or something? o 3o

Anyways, on topic:
I don't like very many hero characters and I don't understand all the collective hate towards villains and how everyone's against them being in.
For that matter I don't understand why you'd be against any character getting in. You aren't forced to play as them unless you're hardcore completionist who wants to beat every mode with every character, etc.
As a competitive player, I don't mind the gimmicky stages when just playing for fun. In fact, there are a few stage bans here and there that I find unjust to this day.
Your purple text is hard to read on this very dark background.

And about your comment. characters that should not get in but do, are development time taken away from characters more worthy of a spot but do not make it in. And some character ideas just feel wrong. Saying no to character ideas is just as important as saying yes. A good developer will know when to say yes and when to say no.
Same deal with new stage ideas.

Kaynel

Smash Rookie
NNID
BurstBlade
3DS FC
2277-6863-0351
Dark Pit needs to come back in the next one, but completely decloned with claws and the Staff. I hope there's another Kid Icarus game before then to further flesh out his character.
I agree completely. I love Dark Pit! And there's no way you could convince me that he's not important enough to be placed on the roster.

But there's also no way you could convince me that the myraid of Uprising weapons wouldn't have made him a unique moveset.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Judging from reactions on GameFAQs (I haven't seen much here), Pac-Land's soundtrack thus far is perfect. Glad they went full retro Namco rather than delving into the later Pac-Man games. (Dig Dug could stand to get a remix of its own, though.)

Pallex

Smash Journeyman
I feel that the demand for Inklings DLC is biased as "relevant DLC character discussion" is a subjective opinion as you lock a thread for not seeing them as "relevant" but other threads are just fine? Sometimes there's no given reason for locking a thread at all. People only want to discuss their hopes and dreams for DLC and not bashing others as DLC allows room for everyone. I'm terribly disappointed with how Smashboards is handling DLC discussion. :(

Kaynel

Smash Rookie
NNID
BurstBlade
3DS FC
2277-6863-0351
I feel that the demand for Inklings DLC is biased as "relevant DLC character discussion" is a subjective opinion as you lock a thread for not seeing them as "relevant" but other threads are just fine? Sometimes there's no given reason for locking a thread at all. People only want to discuss their hopes and dreams for DLC and not bashing others as DLC allows room for everyone. I'm terribly disappointed with how Smashboards is handling DLC discussion. :(
Yeah, I dunno. I think the Inklings are cool, and I think Splatoon looks super fun and adorable, but I think the big issue with them is that the whole game us about PAINTING things. I can't really imagine that the Dev team could find an adequate way to incorporate that concept into the character.

I still think Issac should be DLC though and I'll never give up. It seems fairly likely to me too. In fact, if someone made a petition I'll bet it'd have more than enough signatures. Although I would feel bad for piling more unexpected work onto Sakurai and his crew. But I really want my damn Earth-Shaking Adept.

Kaynel

Smash Rookie
NNID
BurstBlade
3DS FC
2277-6863-0351
I'm glad Dark Pit is a clone and not a character they actually spent a lot of development time on.
As stated he was gonna be a costume for Pit that had alternate voice clips and particle effects, but felt that he wouldnt use Pit's Three Sacred Treasures as a Final Smash, so they clonified him.

I'm fine with it too, but next time he should definitley use his staff, a blade, and some claws in his arsenal instead.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Yeah, I dunno. I think the Inklings are cool, and I think Splatoon looks super fun and adorable, but I think the big issue with them is that the whole game us about PAINTING things. I can't really imagine that the Dev team could find an adequate way to incorporate that concept into the character.

I still think Issac should be DLC though and I'll never give up. It seems fairly likely to me too. In fact, if someone made a petition I'll bet it'd have more than enough signatures. Although I would feel bad for piling more unexpected work onto Sakurai and his crew. But I really want my damn Earth-Shaking Adept.
The Splatoon character could be easily done in SSB4. Just add it shooting ink everywhere and it'd B moves about temporarily turning into a squid to attack and all done (or something even better). If Nintendo wanted this they could make it happen. The dev team Sakurai have could easily put this into SSB if they wanted too.

Issac is only good is there is a game he can advertise for. If he has no reason to be advertised in SSB4, then he has no reason to be in SSB4 at all.

Last edited:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
As stated he was gonna be a costume for Pit that had alternate voice clips and particle effects, but felt that he wouldnt use Pit's Three Sacred Treasures as a Final Smash, so they clonified him.

I'm fine with it too, but next time he should definitley use his staff, a blade, and some claws in his arsenal instead.
Well there's we agree to disagree. I don't really think he needs any serious time put in him, in fact I find that him being a clone is hilarious.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Well there's we agree to disagree. I don't really think he needs any serious time put in him, in fact I find that him being a clone is hilarious.
I think Dark Pit even in the game at all is hilarious.
(Yes I can laugh at the bias)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Been a while since I posted here.

- The Robin Guidance is proof that Sakurai is hypocritical when it comes to certain characters, no two ways about it.

- Mii Swordfighter's moves could have easily went to a unique Chrom instead of Original Character Donut Steel Swordsman,

- It also makes me wonder why he made Lucina the clone. I know the story is "she was already an alt." But Chrom also already had a model. Why pick the less popular option? In my opinion it reeks of bias.

- But alas, on a positive note, I don't have an issue with Doc, Lucina, and Dark Pit. Will they probably be gone next time around? Possibly, barring additional time. But I wouldn't mind them staying.

- People expecting Ridley DLC are in for disappointment, but I don't vilify them at all.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I think Lucina was more popular then Chrom prior to the Gematsu "leak".
People tend to sway towards likely characters when information rises to support their inclusion.
But ya, could have been bias too.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think Lucina was more popular then Chrom prior to the Gematsu "leak".
People tend to sway towards likely characters when information rises to support their inclusion.
But ya, could have been bias too.
Before the Gematsu leak, Lucina was practically immediately written off by most due to her similarities to Marth, ironically enough. Chrom was always a more popular choice. Even Robin was. Out of the three protagonists, Lucina arguably was the least talked about or desirable addition.

Kaynel

Smash Rookie
NNID
BurstBlade
3DS FC
2277-6863-0351
Before the Gematsu leak, Lucina was practically immediately written off by most due to her similarities to Marth, ironically enough. Chrom was always a more popular choice. Even Robin was. Out of the three protagonists, Lucina arguably was the least talked about or desirable addition.
Incorrect. In Japan Lucina is huge, and in all regions is unmistakably the face of Fire Emblem awakening, since this mysterious "Marth" was so heavily advertised.

Lucina is SO big in Japan that the japanese figure company "Figma" is making a figure of her and not Chrom or Robin, due to her immense popularity.

I also feel it bears mentioning that I am personally a Kid Icarus Uprising fanatic, however I see a lot of people complaining about the "Kid Icarus Bias" Sakurai has. I feel that it's not a bias. It's not "over representation"

It's PROPER representation. KIU had tons of gameplay elements and ideas that could translate (And did) very easily to Smash Bros, so he included characters. items, and elements from KIU in SSB4.

Also, again, KIU was a MASSIVE hit in Japan, so much so that again, figures were made of the characters AND there was a huge Kid Icarus Parade Float.

Of course they're going to incorporate one their most popular recent games heavily. They did the same with Fire Emblem Awakening.

- The Robin Guidance is proof that Sakurai is hypocritical when it comes to certain characters, no two ways about it.
I'm fairly sure, especially given the way Viridi delivers the line, that it is a very tongue in cheek, intentional joke about how the game has several clone characters, one of which WORKS for the character in question, AND with the dev team understanding well that fans don't like clone characters. It's A JOKE. As if to say: "YEAH wouldn't it be dumb if there were two characters who were super similar?? *pushes Dark Pit out of frame*"

I do however agree with you about the Mii Swordfighter bit. Lucina could have easily had that multistab, the reversal slash, and the rising multicut.

Last edited:

Kaynel

Smash Rookie
NNID
BurstBlade
3DS FC
2277-6863-0351
The Splatoon character could be easily done in SSB4. Just add it shooting ink everywhere and it'd B moves about temporarily turning into a squid to attack and all done (or something even better). If Nintendo wanted this they could make it happen. The dev team Sakurai have could easily put this into SSB if they wanted too.

Issac is only good is there is a game he can advertise for. If he has no reason to be advertised in SSB4, then he has no reason to be in SSB4 at all.
I don't really see how that would work. They would have to craft some sort of particle effect that makes things painted a certain color when it's hit. You may think that it'd just be a projectile character who does damage but you KNOW Sakurai would wanna make sure that it splattered actual paint all over the battlefield.

Also I don't really see any reason to have Ike or Mr. Game and Watch in the game either if it's for advertisement only. Or Shiek, or Megaman for that matter. If you wanna argue advertisement, Golden Sun 1 and 2 are both on the eshop for Wii U. Clearly Nintendo deems the series pretty important.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
I don't know, man. They're shapeshifters with paintball guns and warping abilities. If you ask me, they're an absolute LOCK for Smash 5 a few years down the road, assuming Splatoon does well.

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549

I haven't wanted to spoil the game, so I haven't seen any of Paultena's Guidance, but what's wrong with Robin's? Just curious.

Kaynel

Smash Rookie
NNID
BurstBlade
3DS FC
2277-6863-0351
I haven't wanted to spoil the game, so I haven't seen any of Paultena's Guidance, but what's wrong with Robin's? Just curious.
I won't say too much, but basically Viridi and Palutena imply that Chrom is too similar to Ike, and that's why he wasn't chosen as a fighter.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I groan every time they introduce a new freakishly big stage. Palutena's Temple and the Great Cave Offensive look way too chaotic to be fun. I'm not really on board with 8 player smash either for the same reason. Watching videos of it is kind of funny at first but quickly becomes jarring when it becomes apparent that there's way too much going on at once.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
This is why my unpopular opinion is that using the forums to gauge what characters are wanted doesn't work all that well.

Lucina is a very popular character, more so than Chrom or Robin, arguably. Most people wrote her off right away because she's neither the main character of her game nor a very unique choice, so most saw her inclusion as impossible. That doesn't mean she wasn't popular, or even that she wasn't wanted, only that people didn't expect her. Chrom was the obvious choice, and Robin the dark horse.

This is also why Ice Climbers, Wolf, and Lucas didn't get talked about all that much pre-release. Nobody expected them to be gone; it doesn't mean their fans didn't want them back.

Mobes

featuring Cool Robot Character "Ben Laserlove"
NNID
MobesMobes
Paper Mario: Sticker Star is a great game. And so is it's music.
So I'm actuallly slightly sad the Paper Mario stage is (probably) not also in the WiiU version. :(

Before any of you get an angry reaction about the above statement, I know Sticker Star isn't a "pure" RPG like TTYD. I've played through TTYD, I'll have you know. ;)

Maybe next post I'll say that I like Other M and find its mechanics to be a clever twist on the 2D gameplay of previous Metroid games

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom