• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I love this mod but there's something that's not meshing with me, he looks fine on his own but when standing next to other characters he just looks strange and doesn't really fit the brawl style and look

Also please get rid of the spikes in general and use textures maybe closer to brawl ridley, maybe a little more purple though

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Played a bit and I have 2 issues with Ridley. His Dair on a successful hit bumps him up really far, so with proper movement you can chain a bunch of Dair's. I feel each Dair should use up a jump. Obviously if you miss it has long cooldown or offstage he dies but still. Crazy.

Also his Downsmash doesn't hit anything from behind. Doesn't matter where.

Overall I like the character though. He's pretty fun.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
feedback time!

This is an amazing mod, nearly all the animations are flawlessly smooth, the taunts are all great (The Utaunt is my favorite), and everything thusfar is working good. I have had one crash that refused to repeat itself so I don't know that I should even bother to go into detail about it.

I was a competitive player for a while so these constructive criticisms will probably sound a little more self important than they would if I was actually talking to you lol

Jab Attack:
it feels a little slow, but that is fine as Bowser's is slow too. However the hitbox on the first hit could use a bit of adjustment, because as it stands he misses characters laying on the ground. which means that he can't jab reset to punish a missed tech

Ftilt:
this moves works more or less how it looks like it should, good for use as a keep away.

Dtilt:
this move has a lot of potential, but the hitboxes are much too small and it misses when Ridley's hands clearly make contact. increase the size of the hitboxes without changing the knockback or trajectory and this move will be amazing.

Utilt:
this move doesn't hit like it looks like it should, and I haven't really had any success landing it. a hitbox adjustment maybe?

Nair: it looks good, but good heavens this move is borderline useless. the overall hitbox is absurdly tiny, it comes out much too slow to SHFFL, and there not being any hitbox above him while he is swinging his bladed tail around his body is completely counter intuitive. I understand what you wanted out of the move, and when it connects it does what you wanted it to do. I would say that you need to decrease the startup slightly and add weak hitboxes on the tail when he starts the swing and then this move won't be utter trash

Fair:
Excellent move, no reason to change it in the slightest.

Dair:
besides the really strict Lcancel timing this move works fine. if the opponent knows how to DI it will seem much less overpowered and much more risky

Uair:
this move works fine, like the fair there is no reason to change it

Bair:
I think I read that you are adjusting this in the upcoming update, and that's good! because this move is currently completely over centralizing lol

Grab: the range is fine and makes sense to me.

Pummel: this hits twice for some reason, probably shouldn't lol

Fthrow: it looks badass, but it sets up for a potential edgeguard situation a little too easily imo

Bthrow: it's fine, nothing else to say

Dthrow: a little similar to Charizard's, not really a criticism as much as it's an observation

Uthrow: this is probably now my favorite throw, fantastic lol :)

Wakeup attacks:
I love 'em!

Ledge Attacks: The <100% one is cool, the >100% one is too good to a hilarious degree. one tail stab should suffice. at over 100% the ledge attacks are supposed to be slower and more risky. Ridley's is the opposite

Fsmash:
the startup completely neuters this move, no one is going to get hit by it. the startup makes Bowser's fsmash seem speedy. worst fsmash in the game even though the animation make me smile. it's a very nice looking move

Dsmash:
Ridley's good smash attack, the lack of knockback is fine since it actually seems to get the opponent off of you. if you do decrease the speed don't do it by much. a touch more knockback at the sweetspot, and larger hitboxes on the sourspots probably wouldn't hurt either. (also as the poster above me mentioned and I completely forgot while writing this novel, it only connects in front of him, and even then it misses sometimes)

Usmash:
works fine, good as an anti-air. a slight reduction of the initial hitboxes might be wise though

B: the fireball Bowser should've had lol. it works fine and is completely in character. I can't tell what the range is though; it goes all the way across FD at the very least. the Aerial version works well too... out of curiosity does it spike or meteor smash?

Side B:
i think that the final hit should have much less knockback, the move only does 10% damage after all. I will touch on the glide further down

Down B:
Love the animation on the aerial version, and it has a good hitbox. the Armor works like it should, however I find the lack of cooldown inbetween uses to be much too short. a recharge period is probably advisable

Up B:
Completely useless as a recovery but I can live with that. Good move overall imo

Misc:

He can't dash dance.

His Aerial mobility puts Puff to shame and should be toned down a bit, probably to Mewtwo's level

He has absolutely no options to deal with shield pressure besides grab, and for such a large target this is going to be a very serious problem. combined with his lack of a truly quick "GTFO me" move he will have no way to escape (not true) combos or keep any quick characters away. Fox, Falco, Falcon, Sonic, Marth, Sheik, Metaknight, Tink, Pikachu, ZSS and probably a few other characters are all going to have their way with current Ridley for free once they figure out what to do.

His recovery is much too good with the glide; he is practically un-edgeguardable unless he's recovering low, and then all you have to do is watch him die because the UpB doesn't go up. or just hit him out of the glide because he's so long.

a lot of tricky balancing is in the future lol, but this has got a really strong starting base to work off of with this amazing 1.0

looking forward to the future versions

EDIT: also at one point his down B in the air had a weird Brawl-esque momentum slowdown after i got knocked upwards was this deliberate or is it a glitch?

Last edited:

Draco_The

Smash Lord
A bit late to the party. Impressive work man. I've only played for a bit with him but it seems very well done animations and all. My biggest gripe though is that he doesn't seem to fit Brawl's graphics.

Enchlore

Smash Cadet
NNID
Enchlore
Been playing with this mod since launch, and so far it's been perfect. I haven't encountered any freezes at all! Totally astouding work. If anything, I think the forward smash startup animation looks a bit awkward. The animation itself is fine, but when you're charging the smash attack it looks like Ridley is suddenly poofing into position. The other fighters at least look like they're squishing into a smash attack, but Ridley looks weird. The fsmash itself is very easily punishable due to its enormous landing lag.

latinking

Smash Apprentice
when standing next to other characters he just looks strange and doesn't really fit the brawl style and look
My biggest gripe though is that he doesn't seem to fit Brawl's graphics.
A few weeks before the mod's release, a Project M artist member by the name of Nanobuds offered to improve the graphics and BaganSmashBros even accepted his offer, but we never heard from him since. He was the most likely one to make Ridley visually fit with everyone else.

Dair: besides the really strict Lcancel timing this move works fine. if the opponent knows how to DI it will seem much less overpowered and much more risky
Exactly, but a lot of people have been requesting to nerf Down Air. I just hope that those same people have at least tried to DI before deciding that it's overpowered.
Fsmash: the startup completely neuters this move, no one is going to get hit by it. the startup makes Bowser's fsmash seem speedy. worst fsmash in the game even though the animation make me smile.
While its true that you can't resort to using his Fsmash as often as we do with other characters', it is FAR from useless. The range and power is very good if used right, and with good timing. As for the overall speed of the Fmash, from what I remember, I think BaganSmashBros stated that it has the same speed as Dedede's Forward Smash (not sure if he said that on this forum or on youtube comments).

Last edited:

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
I also don't get what's supposed to be OP about the pogo stick.. it's easily escapable if you know what you are doing.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
I also don't get what's supposed to be OP about the pogo stick.. it's easily escapable if you know what you are doing.
IMO it's the ability to go through platforms. Like all the way through platforms. The spike is really good too, risky, but there's no way to die from it if you hit it. I'd say the move would be fine if it is the way it is now without the spike actually. I'd say make it a meteor and take away the platform poke.

Last edited:

UltimateHylian

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yorch2296
3DS FC
1650-2285-2395
I think the problem is the spike, or maybe meteor but CPUs never cancel it lol. But can land it very easily a lot of times and always kills.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Only nitpick I would have is technically having infinite jumps but I love Ridley so I'll take any greatness I can get since decent players will kill anything quick anyway.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
@ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros

Here you guys go, video tutorial on how to add Ridley to PM
@ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros feel free to put this in the OP
Just finished doing all the steps in the above vid (copying & replacing things in the folders as needed), but now when I start up it up, PM or my system freezes when I get to the "please secure your wrist strap to contain hype" screen, every time.

Where did I go wrong? :( Made sure I followed every step exactly as planned and that I didn't put things in the wrong folders... I'll need to delete and reinstall PM onto my SD card at this rate.

Help... someone...?

Here is a link to my dropbox with a .rar file that contains vanilla project m with no other addons except ridley. Just extract onto your sd card and you are good to go.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bbrh1qooqyw3ach/Pm with ridley.rar?dl=0

forgot to mention that this is the hackless version of PM
When I tried this, it gave me ""Pm with Ridley.rar" can't be extracted. It may not be a RAR file, or it is damaged".

None of my file extracting programs recognized it.

Last edited:

ggmonx

Smash Cadet
@ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros

Just finished doing all the steps in the above vid (copying & replacing things in the folders as needed), but now when I start up it up, PM or my system freezes when I get to the "please secure your wrist strap to contain hype" screen, every time.

Where did I go wrong? :( Made sure I followed every step exactly as planned and that I didn't put things in the wrong folders... I'll need to delete and reinstall PM onto my SD card at this rate.

Help... someone...?

When I tried this, it gave me ""Pm with Ridley.rar" can't be extracted. It may not be a RAR file, or it is damaged".

None of my file extracting programs recognized it.
do you have winrar?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
No; I use substitutes for that on mac like The Unarchiver and whatnot.

I think I might've figured out what I did wrong now though. Keeping fingers crossed as I reinstall PM.

Wolley2xjd

Banned via Administration
Mine is working wonderfully......well if you like listening to the p.m theme all messed up.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Aha! Works now.

I think what messed it up before was either me having the common5.pac thing in the CSP folder (because that's the way it was in the video guide), having RSBE01.gct somewhere other than the PM codes folder, or both.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Aha! Works now.

I think what messed it up before was either me having the common5.pac thing in the CSP folder (because that's the way it was in the video guide), having RSBE01.gct somewhere other than the PM codes folder, or both.
I just saved my common5.pac into the CSP folder. I put it in the project m/pf/systems folder replacing the old common5.pac

Glad you got it to work!

Last edited:

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
You should definitely apply to the PMDT. Doing this much alone, I'd love to see what could happen with their personal expertise on your side.
This here shows you have the drive, commitment, talent and experience they need, and its popularity is a testament to that. Highlight some of the best animations, such as his run, dtilt, and pummel, and any special coding/modelling.
Just be ready to take critique and make compromises.
:bee:

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
Exactly, but a lot of people have been requesting to nerf Down Air. I just hope that those same people have at least tried to DI before deciding that it's overpowered.
if anything I agree with the people saying it shouldn't go through platforms. it isn't inescapable but I do think it needs to be tweaked after thinking about it more.

While its true that you can't resort to using his Fsmash as often as we do with other characters', it is FAR from useless. The range and power is very good if used right, and with good timing. As for the overall speed of the Fmash, from what I remember, I think BaganSmashBros stated that it has the same speed as Dedede's Forward Smash (not sure if he said that on this forum or on youtube comments).
I have a really hard time accepting that. The abysmal speed of the Fsmash combined with his lack of options to deal with quick characters or pressure makes it useless. if you and I were to play and I was playing any of the characters I named in my last post you would NEVER land a Fsmash. Even if the two Fsmashes (DDD and Ridley's) have the same startup, DDD has more options than current Ridely does. Like a quick nair etc. Ridley's best move is the bair, to the point that it's silly haha.

which is why the Fsmash needs to be made faster (Though not by a lot, shouldn't be like Marth's as he's a big character)

this is still 1.0, so there is a lot of space and time to balance stuff out, and hope that this gets officially added to Project M

OmegaX5000

Smash Journeyman
I think I found a gamebreaking bug in the hackless Project M with Ridley preinstalled. Whenever I try to face Mario in his black Dr. Mario costume, the game locks up whenever I select a stage. Thankfully I can just exit back to the home menu without having to unplug the Wii, but that's still a massive (heh heh) bug in this build. Also his default Dr Mario costume just turns into his green Mario costume and I don't know why. Ridley works just fine as he is in this build and is hilariously good in boss battle mode (my very first opponent just happened to be Brawl Ridley XD) I'll post again if I find anything else that might need fixing.

Edit: Huh, it seems that a lot of Mario's costumes get mixed around and if you don't press play on the menu to start up PM immediately, then it gives you an error message and kicks you out of the game back to the Wii menu.

Also, apparently red Dr Mario is white Dr Mario, while green Dr Mario is red Dr Mario, and blue Dr Mario is green Dr Mario. Meanwhile green Mario is yellow Mario and black Dr Mario crashes the game (a shame, since that one is my brothers' favorite costume for Dr Mario).

Last edited:

P-Breaker

Smash Cadet
I think I found a gamebreaking bug in the hackless Project M with Ridley preinstalled. Whenever I try to face Mario in his black Dr. Mario costume, the game locks up whenever I select a stage. Thankfully I can just exit back to the home menu without having to unplug the Wii, but that's still a massive (heh heh) bug in this build. Also his default Dr Mario costume just turns into his green Mario costume and I don't know why. Ridley works just fine as he is in this build and is hilariously good in boss battle mode (my very first opponent just happened to be Brawl Ridley XD) I'll post again if I find anything else that might need fixing.

Edit: Huh, it seems that a lot of Mario's costumes get mixed around and if you don't press play on the menu to start up PM immediately, then it gives you an error message and kicks you out of the game back to the Wii menu.

Also, apparently red Dr Mario is white Dr Mario, while green Dr Mario is red Dr Mario, and blue Dr Mario is green Dr Mario. Meanwhile green Mario is yellow Mario and black Dr Mario crashes the game (a shame, since that one is my brothers' favorite costume for Dr Mario).
I got the same here but for the homebrew version, it's really annoying that you can't play black Dr. Mario. It's my favorite.
It's also with Sonic, but i don't know exactly or it's only the homebrew version.

Last edited:

OmegaX5000

Smash Journeyman
I got the same here but for the homebrew version, it's really annoying that you can't play black Dr. Mario. It's my favorite.
It's also with Sonic, but i don't know exactly or it's only the homebrew version.
Apparently for Sonic I'm getting the black costume when I select red, and red when I select black with no crashes on the hackles version.

OmegaX5000

Smash Journeyman
Apparently for Sonic I'm getting the black costume when I select red, and red when I select black with no crashes on the hackles version.
Edit: I'm going through all the other characters costumes just to see what works and what breaks the game. Mario has those oddities I mentioned earlier. Wario, Luigi, and Peach seem to be working just fine.

Edit: whoops, sorry for the double post, I thought I was editing my previous post.

Anyway, apparently green Squirtle is orange, orange Squirtle is green, blue Charizard and green Charizard have each others colors, all the other characters are just fine though. No mixups for anyone else and Ridley works just fine, although it does seem like his colors get a bit washed out on Battlefield.

Last edited:

T-skjorte Ninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TNinja0
3DS FC
4871-3998-6368
Now after a few testing, I must say Ridley are got quite a few options, unique ones too.

A ledge attack that causes him to jump off the ledge, as opposed to the rest of the cast who jsut get's up and does a swipe.
Air control, as powerful as Jigglypuff.
Pogo tail with a meteor hitbox about three times the size of most character, and even goes through platforms. That's a strong edge guard. Though, it's so slow, even with L-Cancel.
His BAir pulls him backward, and is easy to ledge cancel with.
Sprinting off the edge, and turning around when outside, let's him return to the edge, instead of the ledge.

Cpt.

Smash Lord

Yeah Dr. Mario was messed up for me too.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I'm just wondering, does his down B have a real use? I'd honestly prefer if he just had the slam attack, maybe with added shockwave effect when used on the ground

Last edited:

AgentHX

Smash Cadet
NNID
HotShotHunter
I've been playing this since release and I LOVE IT SO MUCH. Absolutely amazing job, Bagan. The Project M team would be, quite frankly, stupid not to make Ridley an official character. Balance him right and he'll be perfect, but he's already my favorite character nevertheless.

Top Bottom