• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Hmm... maybe it's just the speed of the back throw that throws me off then.
By the way, how strong are Ridley's grabs compared to other characters' grab attacks?
Also, seeing as how Ridley has excellent mobility in the air, wouldn't it make sense to have his running speed equal or slower than Bowser's? Or his walking speed reduced?
Pretty strong. Not near Ness (Mewtwo?) level, but still strong.
Bowser's running speed is pretty high actually. Im just trying to make Ridley's running speed reach half of his running speed from Other M.
@ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros I think you said earlier that what was stopping you from adding alts and things like that is rigging the models. This video may help you with that.
Thats going to take a while to download...Which program is used here? I can't access youtube for whatever reasons, so, i can't read its description or watch it without downloading the whole video. If it isn't 3DS Max, then its useless to me. If it is, then...its gonna take a while to properly do what i want (i want to make that Other M Meta Ridley mock up real).

So, few suggested desaturating textures to match Brawl's style. Here is result:

I like normal textures a lot more.

Last edited:

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
No, it is their hitlag and knockback. That was fixed by reducing hitlag by 100% and reducing knockback by half.
EDIT: wait, it isn't as bad as it was before, but it is still easily spammable.

That is mostly to match Project M's pace/speed. Even then, they last for a while (compared to other throws) with the only exception being back throw.

Wait, are articles still present in it too? Or i will have to make flamethrower default Neutral B for those ports?
I'd have to test it with the latest version that has fireballs to know definitively. I wouldn't think that there'd be a problem, but it wouldn't hurt to check.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
It's 3DSMax.
Good. I won't have to completly change model (all i have to do is just rig few parts from Cyborg Zebesians to his body parts), so, it won't take too long.
I'd have to test it with the latest version that has fireballs to know definitively. I wouldn't think that there'd be a problem, but it wouldn't hurt to check.
I'll need your e-mail then.

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
Bowser's running speed is pretty high actually. Im just trying to make Ridley's running speed reach half of his running speed from Other M.

Thats going to take a while to download...Which program is used here? I can't access youtube for whatever reasons, so, i can't read its description or watch it without downloading the whole video. If it isn't 3DS Max, then its useless to me. If it is, then...its gonna take a while to properly do what i want (i want to make that Other M Meta Ridley mock up real).

Ridley looks amazing like this to be honest.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Dunno, looks very boring and not fitting compared to Brawl Samus' bright (at least when compared to him) orange colors. I'll keep both versions in different folders.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

Desaturated looks a lot better, imo.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I didn't expected anyone to like those. Anyway, i can say right now that they now looks nearly exactly same, with minor differences. Like vBrawl Sonic. I've got 4 of them ready right now.

Dos efes

Smash Cadet
Desaturated gets my vote too, but the bright ones could stay as a recolor, or perhaps to be a base for an eventual Smash 3 version. Good work, Bagan.

Mach5Mike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mach5Mike
While desaturated looks better when he's standing next to vBrawl textures, the brighter ones will work a lot better alongside the Smash 3 textures that I intend to use for every character once they're released. Maybe you could offer both as options?

Crixler

Smash Journeyman
I'm all about Smash 3, and I even think the new shade of purple looks a lot better. It just feels more Ridley to me.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
While desaturated looks better when he's standing next to vBrawl textures, the brighter ones will work a lot better alongside the Smash 3 textures that I intend to use for every character once they're released. Maybe you could offer both as options?
Thats what im going to do.

WEK-Sector Pirate

Smash Apprentice
I am also in favor of the desaturated texture, also, has there being changes to recolors? Will we get desaturated recolors to? Also,are the pupils textures? I would want to see a possible pupiless version if you could.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I like the desaturated colors more as well. Though for me, it's less his colors and more the contrast, of which the original has too much of, in my opinion.
EDIT: Also, I would like to see the membrane of his wings with the same design as Brawl at some point.

Last edited:

Perfecthell4

Smash Apprentice
Hey dude, it's pretty clear that the Crusade moveset was used as a base. Now, we don't really mind but would you please credit on the OP?

Awesome work btw

Last edited:

latinking

Smash Apprentice
Concerning the grabs in terms of damage power, I personally think that, for Ridley's case, it seems ideal to have such strong grab attacks for a large character have somewhat slow animations to emphasize on their power. But like you said, it's probably his back throw that needs slow down. As for his Down Grab, since it is capable of leaving a stage hazard when it's done (the burning fire on the ground), it should have its animation speed reduced to make up for that nice hazard bonus, and this would also help in a visual sense as it would allow everyone to clearly see that Ridley stabs his tail onto the opponent against the floor (which, at the current speed, is hard to notice).

As for his running and walking speed, I honestly don't know what can be considered a fair speed for him... I'd like to hear what others' think about this.

I also like the desaturated colors.

UltimateHylian

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yorch2296
3DS FC
1650-2285-2395
I like the desaturated colors more as well. Though for me, it's less his colors and more the contrast, of which the original has too much of, in my opinion.
EDIT: Also, I would like to see the membrane of his wings with the same design as Brawl at some point.
I second this. Maybe a recolor that resembles Brawl Ridley completely? I'd use that as my default costume, and the original default instead of the Other M recolor.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

This is so much better, I was never fond of other m ridleys colour scheme but this, this is just fantastic

Hidan

Smash Apprentice
Hey dude, it's pretty clear that the Crusade moveset was used as a base. Now, we don't really mind but would you please credit on the OP?

Awesome work btw
I haven't read the OP in a while, but even the title used to say something like a "Crusade based mod". It's not like Bagan hasn't forgone crediting in the past, if all traces are removed it's probably unintentional.

Last edited:

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive

Awesome work btw
Lmao
Worry about credit when this is done. To think that it's so mandatory at this point in time. And I'm fairly sure there's a lot of differences between the two anyway. Plus, Bagan has said many a time that he got inspiration from Crusade Ridley, NOT "I clearly ripped the sprites from the game and modeled over them."

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman

Awesome work btw
Yeah, this wasn't meant to be an exact port of the Crusade Ridley. Such a request is similar to telling Shakespeare to give credit to Ovid for using a similar plot line to Pyramus and Thisbe in Romeo and Juliet. I'm pretty sure that people are allowed to use works as inspiration without needing to give credit in such an explict way, especially when variety itself is limited. Ridley can only have so many moves given his anatomy and history, so naturally there will be some overlap between your and Bagan's incarnations of the character. This does not mean that he copied your character, and this does not mean that he has to give any credit beyond what he has already done.

TheBirdSolution

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheBirdSolution
OK, so what have we got here then?

Top row: Super Metroid front cover - Default Other M - Zero Mission artwork-inspired - Ridley X
Middle Row: ??? - Zero Mission cutscenes - Charizard (?) - NES Metroid
Bottom: ??? - ???

My favourite has to be the SM red. Personally, I'd lower the saturation on the Zero Mission Artwork green-ish one, just a little bit. And maybe Ridley X should be a bit bluer, instead of the more purple tint, just to further distinguish it from the default model. I'm not sure if they bottom right one is another recolour, but if it is, I'd consider swapping it out with an MP3 Omega Ridley inspired one (dark blue body, orange wings/highlights). Depends if that concept of a Meta Alt comes into fruition or not. But I love the many colours of Ridley, so amazing work.

Last edited:

Hidan

Smash Apprentice
The first one in the middle row is the Frozen Ridley, and the two bottoms are Firebrand (from Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, or at least that's where I know him from) and the updated Other M pallet IIRC. Also yes, that orange with blue wings is a Charizard recolor.

Last edited:

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
OK, so what have we got here then?

Top row: Super Metroid front cover - Default Other M - Zero Mission artwork-inspired - Ridley X
Middle Row: ??? - Zero Mission cutscenes - Charizard (?) - NES Metroid
Bottom: ??? - ???

My favourite has to be the SM red. Personally, I'd lower the saturation on the Zero Mission Artwork green-ish one, just a little bit. And maybe Ridley X should be a bit bluer, instead of the more purple tint, just to further distinguish it from the default model. I'm not sure if they bottom right one is another recolour, but if it is, I'd consider swapping it out with an MP3 Omega Ridley inspired one (dark blue body, orange wings/highlights). Depends if that concept of a Meta Alt comes into fruition or not. But I love the many colours of Ridley, so amazing work.
Bottom left, red with purple wings, is based on Firebrand from Ghosts 'n Goblins.

TheBirdSolution

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheBirdSolution
Bottom left, red with purple wings, is based on Firebrand from Ghosts 'n Goblins.
The first one in the middle row is the Frozen Ridley, and the two bottoms are Firebrand (from Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, or at least that's where I know him from) and the updated Other M pallet IIRC. Also yes, that orange with blue wings is a Charizard recolor.
Ghosts and Goblins is just obscure enough of a reference to make me somewhat giddy :D

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I can't wait to make Nintendo-Land palettes for Ridley when he's released!

I must admit that I like Ridley's desaturated colors more, as well. I'd gladly take a look at the textures myself and see if I can't give them a good ol' spitshine, if you ever feel the need. I'm no pro, but I do have a now-defunct texture thread that seemed to get a lot of great feedback back in the day.

I'm honestly just looking for ways to try and help besides sitting here and going "BAGAN THAT ANIMATION IS JANKY". You're doing so much for us and there's hardly a thing we can do to help besides sit here and whine about how Ridley's colors are too bright.

Last edited:

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
I'm just eager to play with the character. All this fuss about colors and animations is annoying and boring. Progress is good, banter is not.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

I like the normal ones, to, but the desaturated colors are more fitting. It just makes him fit the other Brawl characters better

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
"minor"?

Hey, hey!
Do you even know how severely an unpolished animation hampers gameplay?!

It has to feel good, like real good.

If using the move doesn't give you a hard on because of its elegant animations, something is terribly wrong.

I'm not gay.

Top Bottom