• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
"minor"?

Hey, hey!
Do you even know how severely an unpolished animation hampers gameplay?!

It has to feel good, like real good.

If using the move doesn't give you a hard on because of its elegant animations, something is terribly wrong.

I'm not gay.
You might be a little electrosexual.

Draco_The

Smash Lord
Of course! Who wouldn't? But minor things with animations and textures and such can be overlooked.
It's a mod. Not a brand new game. There is no such thing as perfection.
It doesn't matter if you're talking about a game or just a mod for one. A good presentation is ALWAYS important.

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
It doesn't matter if you're talking about a game or just a mod for one. A good presentation is ALWAYS important.
The presentation is phenomenal. Hence my point: some minor things, such as the colors being too bright, can be overlooked.
Let's not get carried away and start something over nothing now.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
The presentation is phenomenal. Hence my point: some minor things, such as the colors being too bright, can be overlooked.
I don't know, I think listening to the criticism now is a good thing to do. Means less adjustments post-release.

Last edited:

Draco_The

Smash Lord
Thing is, overlooking is just a synonym of ignoring a problem. If you know that something feels off or is kinda wrong with this mod, the best thing you can do is pointing it out. Keeping it for yourself is not going to help the creator.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Hey dude, it's pretty clear that the Crusade moveset was used as a base. Now, we don't really mind but would you please credit on the OP?

Awesome work btw
Only 4 attacks from it were taken that are not a must-have addition: 3rd jab hit, Up Smash, NAir and Back Throw (i think). And one victory animation. You may think of previous version that used edited Brawl Ridley model because then it was very obviously SSBC Ridley except in Project M. I will credit you for those anyway.

You made good work on your version too too.
I am also in favor of the desaturated texture, also, has there being changes to recolors? Will we get desaturated recolors to? Also,are the pupils textures? I would want to see a possible pupiless version if you could.
I'll probably leave both versions with pupils. Im not sure i can properly remove them from textures without ruining it.
I second this. Maybe a recolor that resembles Brawl Ridley completely? I'd use that as my default costume, and the original default instead of the Other M recolor.
I tried it. But Brawl Ridley looks too similar to current desaturated default recolor, with the only real difference being his wings. He looks blue only on his stage while his model is purple.
Concerning the grabs in terms of damage power, I personally think that, for Ridley's case, it seems ideal to have such strong grab attacks for a large character have somewhat slow animations to emphasize on their power. But like you said, it's probably his back throw that needs slow down. As for his Down Grab, since it is capable of leaving a stage hazard when it's done (the burning fire on the ground), it should have its animation speed reduced to make up for that nice hazard bonus, and this would also help in a visual sense as it would allow everyone to clearly see that Ridley stabs his tail onto the opponent against the floor (which, at the current speed, is hard to notice).

As for his running and walking speed, I honestly don't know what can be considered a fair speed for him... I'd like to hear what others' think about this.

I also like the desaturated colors.
Down Throw leaves fire on the ground just as a nice graphical effect (it for some reasons refuses to go away after animation is done) and it was slowed down to heavely reduce possiblity of chaingrabs, but only at the end.

Looks like majority here likes desaturated recolors. I've finished all of them. Only Other M original recolor was left out because, well, thats obvious. Also, i edited Neutral B again and now its like Wolf's blaster, but faster, deals more damage (but knockback is still weak) and creates a shockwave (and an explosion of course) if it hits wall or ground that has higher knockback, but lower damage. In the air, if B is held down instead of just being pressed, he will aim down (not straight down - just low enough for it to still be useful to attack while in the air and have high possiblity of it hitting the ground) instead of straight forward. So, those fireballs are now more like they are in Metroid games - just annoying to deal with when you try to shoot Ridley and not that dangerous compared to the good ol' fashioned tail strike. Oh, and for those who disliked Other M Ridley's spikes:

Unfortunately, because of the way his hip spikes are rigged, there will be holes visible when he bends them...um...far enough.

WEK-Sector Pirate

Smash Apprentice
Only 4 attacks from it were taken that are not a must-have addition: 3rd jab hit, Up Smash, NAir and Back Throw (i think). And one victory animation. You may think of previous version that used edited Brawl Ridley model because then it was very obviously SSBC Ridley except in Project M. I will credit you for those anyway.

I'll probably leave both versions with pupils. Im not sure i can properly remove them from textures without ruining it.

I tried it. But Brawl Ridley looks too similar to current desaturated default recolor, with the only real difference being his wings. He looks blue only on his stage while his model is purple.

Down Throw leaves fire on the ground just as a nice graphical effect (it for some reasons refuses to go away after animation is done) and it was slowed down to heavely reduce possiblity of chaingrabs, but only at the end.

Looks like majority here likes desaturated recolors. I've finished all of them. Only Other M original recolor was left out because, well, thats obvious. Also, i edited Neutral B again and now its like Wolf's blaster, but faster, deals more damage (but knockback is still weak) and creates a shockwave (and an explosion of course) if it hits wall or ground that has higher knockback, but lower damage. In the air, if B is held down instead of just being pressed, he will aim down (not straight down - just low enough for it to still be useful to attack while in the air and have high possiblity of it hitting the ground) instead of straight forward. So, those fireballs are now more like they are in Metroid games - just annoying to deal with when you try to shoot Ridley and not that dangerous compared to the good ol' fashioned tail strike. Oh, and for those who disliked Other M Ridley's spikes:

Unfortunately, because of the way his hip spikes are rigged, there will be holes visible when he bends them...um...far enough.
Huzzah! I never really liked those spikes, and as for the pupils, maybe someone can make a pupiless version someday, but oh well, just a minor thing I guess.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

Absolutely fantastic work, Bagan. I can't praise you enough.

Any chance we could get a recolor group shot like we did with the previous recolors?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Absolutely fantastic work, Bagan. I can't praise you enough.

Any chance we could get a recolor group shot like we did with the previous recolors?
Sure.
Any plans on giving him Meta Ridley Recolor, or Omega Ridley?
Also, what exactly is his red with white wings recolor?
Once i will learn how to resize certain parts of model and rigging them to another model, we will get this one or at least something very close to it: http://bagansmashbros.deviantart.com/art/Metroid-Other-M-Meta-Ridley-500637099?q=gallery:BaganSmashBros/33120422&qo=21 Either that, someone else will make it or i will try to rig Brawl Meta Ridley's model and fail horribly.

Thats Firebrand, as Pacack already said. Just without any kind of armor.

Last edited:

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Sure.

Once i will learn how to resize certain parts of model and rigging them to another model, we will get this one or at least something very close to it: http://bagansmashbros.deviantart.com/art/Metroid-Other-M-Meta-Ridley-500637099?q=gallery:BaganSmashBros/33120422&qo=21 Either that, someone else will make it or i will try to rig Brawl Meta Ridley's model and fail horribly.

Thats Firebrand, as Pacack already said. Just without any kind of armor.
That Meta Ridley looks pretty good, though i think his wings should be orange. And a well done Brawl Meta Ridley would be great too.

I guess his blue recolor is Ridley X, right?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Yeah, i should have posted this earlier, but whatever. Here are gifs or updated Neutral B:

I won't show normal aerial version of it because its same as ground version, except done in the air. So, here is alt aerial version:

It has same damage and knockback, but it goes down and creates a small shockwave along with a regular explosion that will launch opponents up and has higher knockback, but lower damage. Shockwave is bigger than in the gif.
Fireball GFX used (its from Meta Ridley, those medium sized because large fireball's glow is visible only at certain angles) should leave a trail of fire on its own without need for extra GFX, but for whatever reasons, only model of it is left when used on Pit's arrows. Other than that, NAir was nerfed and now has higher start up (30 frames i think), so, its harder to hit with like DK's FAir, expect with better range and lower knockback.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Yeah, i should have posted this earlier, but whatever. Here are gifs or updated Neutral B:

I won't show normal aerial version of it because its same as ground version, except done in the air. So, here is alt aerial version:

It has same damage and knockback, but it goes down and creates a small shockwave along with a regular explosion that will launch opponents up and has higher knockback, but lower damage. Shockwave is bigger than in the gif.
Fireball GFX used (its from Meta Ridley, those medium sized because large fireball's glow is visible only at certain angles) should leave a trail of fire on its own without need for extra GFX, but for whatever reasons, only model of it is left when used on Pit's arrows. Other than that, NAir was nerfed and now has higher start up (30 frames i think), so, its harder to hit with like DK's FAir, expect with better range and lower knockback.
How many more animations are left?

latinking

Smash Apprentice
So the flames on the ground after Down Grab don't do anything whatsoever? Opponents can freely walk through them without harm? That's...slightly disappointing, for me anyways. As for the speed of the Down Grab, I was hoping the first few frames would be slowed down, in order to clearly see Ridley brutally stab through his enemy. My friends didn't notice that detail of the grab and they were quick to say ''hey that's Charizard's grab''. Oh well. In the end, it's no big deal anyways :)

Also, i edited Neutral B again and now its like Wolf's blaster, but faster, deals more damage (but knockback is still weak) and creates a shockwave (and an explosion of course) if it hits wall or ground that has higher knockback, but lower damage. In the air, if B is held down instead of just being pressed, he will aim down (not straight down - just low enough for it to still be useful to attack while in the air and have high possiblity of it hitting the ground) instead of straight forward. So, those fireballs are now more like they are in Metroid games - just annoying to deal with when you try to shoot Ridley and not that dangerous compared to the good ol' fashioned tail strike.
Alas, I will miss the previous Neutral B (the 3 small fireballs), their awesomeness was simply not meant to be it seems. The shockwave from the new Neutral B seems useful. If an enemy blocks a direct hit from the fireball, how strong is the pushback? I'm hoping the pushback is decent enough to allow Ridley to reposition his opponents until they're at the right distance for tail-tip-maximum-damage-attacks.

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
Ok no hate but why do you guys want ridley in the game so much? It's literally like adding Rayquaza into the game

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Ok no hate but why do you guys want ridley in the game so much? It's literally like adding Rayquaza into the game
Because Ridley is the main antagonist of the Metroid series, which is a series that we love and adore. Not having fair representation of the series in the Smash series is bothersome and strange, and we want to know that it indeed can be done.

http://metroid.retropixel.net/features/comics/metroidmanga/

Read that if you want to learn more about Ridley and his character.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Cause I want more Metroid characters, I like Ridley as a character, Ridley has the build and potential to be perfect for a fighting game like Smash Bros, and he'd be awesome to play as.

And it really isn't anything like adding Rayquaza into the game. At all. :p

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
No. :L

And guys dont take this as bait, I just dont see why you want more characters in the game, although the concept of ridley in the game is a fascinating one. Its just awkward seeing him fight players normally when in Smash 4 and in Brawl hes like 4x the size of bowser.

latinking

Smash Apprentice

And guys dont take this as bait, I just dont see why you want more characters in the game, although the concept of ridley in the game is a fascinating one. Its just awkward seeing him fight players normally when in Smash 4 and in Brawl hes like 4x the size of bowser.
Try harder.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970

It's because that's how Sakurai portrays him in Smash. In actual Metroid games he's really not that big, he's normally one of the smallest bosses in almost every Metroid game he appears in.

Bowser's canonically bigger then Ridley.

Try harder.
Don't be rude, he's being polite about it. :p

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

Size fluctuates depending on the role a character takes in the game. As a boss, specifically a boss from a game like Metroid, a character has to be larger than they would be otherwise. Likewise, when in a playable position, the character is typically within certain guidelines.

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings

Size fluctuates depending on the role a character takes in the game. As a boss, specifically a boss from a game like Metroid, a character has to be larger than they would be otherwise. Likewise, when in a playable position, the character is typically within certain guidelines.
Resizing is normal, its just that Ridleys size in smash bros has already been established.
Its not like that Bowser was a giant boss before he was in Melee.
They already established his size in Melee without any cameo before hand
Ridley has appeared in Brawl and Smash 4 in HUMONGOUS size and for them to reshrink it when Ridleys size has been already establish is just
a bit weird.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Resizing is normal, its just that Ridleys size in smash bros has already been established.
Its not like that Bowser was a giant boss before he was in Melee.
They already established his size in Melee without any cameo before hand
Ridley has appeared in Brawl and Smash 4 in HUMONGOUS size and for them to reshrink it when Ridleys size has been already establish is just
a bit weird.

In Melee's intro, though, he's reasonably sized.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
New people get into the Ridley debate all the time. Treating them with exasperation and standoffishness only paints the Ridley fanbase in a bad light to newcomers.
Perhaps so. Its just that his posts looked like any other bait i have previously seen.
I agree with both of you. But honestly there isn't much more for you to say except "we like Ridley".

Top Bottom