• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
It IS a common thing, yes, but it's something I don't recall the last Ridley PSA having (don't quote me on that) and it looks very professional.
I can imagine white Ridley with the purple trails would be absolutely gorgeous to look at. I see myself using the white palette more than the rest.
Carnage's version didn't had it (and neither did SSBC Ridley).
It does looks gorgeous. SchAlternate made great recolors.

I posted just a screenshot previous time, so, here is gif animation of default Neutral B:

Fireballs should come out with better timing, but that was fixed later. I also found how to make it harder to hit with NAir - i increased start up. End lag is still same, but opponent has time to react to it now. Anyway, 7 more item animaitons done, but i lost count on how many animations are left.

Nekoishi

Smash Rookie
NNID
DokiDokiKoishi
This makes me wish my computer could run Project M at full speed.
Also that feel when the last dev post was a single minute ago

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Hey, Bagan, when this is 100% done with animations, will you be entering another phase, or will it just be considered fixes from then on?

Octorox

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
I think just desaturating the textures would go a long way to making the model seem less out of place.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Conceptually, I dislike how Other M's anatomy makes him look less like a draconic alien and more like a gorilla in a costume.
But aesthetically, I think a major thing that makes him clash are the pointless pointys. Those random spikes on his arms/legs/face should be shaved, and his claws/blade are all way too long, thin, and bright white, such that they look like fake nails.

The animations seem pretty alright, though. And I wouldn't really worry about balance for a while.

latinking

Smash Apprentice
I was thinking about how to make Ridley always spin his tail at least twice without turning this attack into vBrawl Ganondorf UTilt-level trash. So, i swapped long end lag for long start up. Here is how it looks:

Those 2 tail spins are always done, so, now it is even more like in 2D games.
Looks prettier than before! Does the tail spinning hurt opponents that touch it? Similar to Ness' Yo-Yo being able to hurt before the actual Smash attack? It'd be cool for Ridley's tail to do that, in order to protect him from back attacks.

The Scorpion Tail attack suggested by UltimateWario... at this point the only possibilities I see for that move is if it replaces the ''Wing Clap'' Up Smash, Down A, Tilt-Up A or Tilt-Front A (only if you think any of those need to be changed of course).

Have you had any thoughts on how to get around Ridley's wings clipping through platforms (WarioWare, Zelda Castle stage, etc)? If you had to choose between shrinking Ridley's model or just his wings, which would you choose BaganSmashBros? Not saying you will do either of those, simply curious.

UltimateHylian

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yorch2296
3DS FC
1650-2285-2395
I was thinking about how to make Ridley always spin his tail at least twice without turning this attack into vBrawl Ganondorf UTilt-level trash. So, i swapped long end lag for long start up. Here is how it looks:

Seems fair. I think this and the longer startup for the n-air give some great balance. I also think that maybe his textures could be a little less saturated to fit Brawl's art style better, but that's up to you lol.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
I hate to be the guy that says it, but I really hate the other m model, it's absolutely horrendous. Not trying to downplay your work at all, this an absolutely fantastic project, especially considering you're doing this mostly by yourself. I just can't get over it, good work has been done to try and save it, but that version of ridley is gross to me. Hopefully I'll be able to get over it but idk....

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I posted just a screenshot previous time, so, here is gif animation of default Neutral B:

Fireballs should come out with better timing, but that was fixed later. I also found how to make it harder to hit with NAir - i increased start up. End lag is still same, but opponent has time to react to it now. Anyway, 7 more item animaitons done, but i lost count on how many animations are left.
Do they shoot downwards diagonally when used in the air, like in crusade?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Hey, Bagan, when this is 100% done with animations, will you be entering another phase, or will it just be considered fixes from then on?
I will release it and then it will be just fixes and improvements.
Conceptually, I dislike how Other M's anatomy makes him look less like a draconic alien and more like a gorilla in a costume.
But aesthetically, I think a major thing that makes him clash are the pointless pointys. Those random spikes on his arms/legs/face should be shaved, and his claws/blade are all way too long, thin, and bright white, such that they look like fake nails.

The animations seem pretty alright, though. And I wouldn't really worry about balance for a while.
I disagree with that. That design makes him look like a dragon that had no food in years. The only issue with it is dat beak, but it can easily be fixed. Claws and tail blade are pretty thick (claws are as thick as his fingers while his tail blade is thicker than the rest of tail) and have natural bone color. Perhaps spikes are the issue (and unfortunately, if i will remove them, i will have to deal with holes in the model and it will take a while and probably will not be symetric), but not much else.
I think just desaturating the textures would go a long way to making the model seem less out of place.
I also think that maybe his textures could be a little less saturated to fit Brawl's art style better, but that's up to you lol.
Perhaps so. Then i'll leave current textures as "Smash 3 except not" textures. Except for Other M recolor because those just can't be touched.
Looks prettier than before! Does the tail spinning hurt opponents that touch it? Similar to Ness' Yo-Yo being able to hurt before the actual Smash attack? It'd be cool for Ridley's tail to do that, in order to protect him from back attacks.

The Scorpion Tail attack suggested by UltimateWario... at this point the only possibilities I see for that move is if it replaces the ''Wing Clap'' Up Smash, Down A, Tilt-Up A or Tilt-Front A (only if you think any of those need to be changed of course).

Have you had any thoughts on how to get around Ridley's wings clipping through platforms (WarioWare, Zelda Castle stage, etc)? If you had to choose between shrinking Ridley's model or just his wings, which would you choose BaganSmashBros? Not saying you will do either of those, simply curious.
No, that wouldn't be fair considering how long his tail is compared to Ness' yo-yo.

Those don't need to be changed.

That can't be fixed without shrinking Ridley's wings or the whole model even more and those already are at their minimal size. Its not like clipping doesn't happens in SSBB or Project M. It is a common thing actually.
Do they shoot downwards diagonally when used in the air, like in crusade?
No, they always shoot straight forward. I can't do anything about this and it is more useful like this (jump, Neutral B, fastfall).

6 more animations done. Now he can pick up, carry and throw any items (including crates) properly.

Last edited:

yosharioIII

Smash Apprentice
I really don't get why everyone doesn't like the Other M model. I really warmed up to it after I realized the brawl model looks kinda terrible. And what Bagan has done to the model makes it even better. It does seem enough people want the textures desaturated though (I personally don't see the big deal, but if it fits Brawl/PM better).

latinking

Smash Apprentice
No, that wouldn't be fair considering how long his tail is compared to Ness' yo-yo.
Fair enough, though the tail spin seems slow enough to avoid getting dragged into the next spin, if it could damage people that is. Ness' YoYo vacuums people towards him with its multiple, rapid hits.

The reason I was concerned for the Front Smash is that, in a 3-4 player match, if Ridley were to try hitting a lonely opponent, the other players would likely jump on his back due to the large start-up, potentially making it less useful. I guess the testers will check that out.

As for the claws and spike on his tail, would it be possible to slightly ''dirty'' their textures? Make them less white? Ridley is, after all, someone who's seen some action against alien races and Federation forces throughout his career. If this was the Ridley clone that was recently born in a clean Bottle Ship, then the clean claws make sense :)

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Fair enough, though the tail spin seems slow enough to avoid getting dragged into the next spin, if it could damage people that is. Ness' YoYo vacuums people towards him with its multiple, rapid hits.

The reason I was concerned for the Front Smash is that, in a 3-4 player match, if Ridley were to try hitting a lonely opponent, the other players would likely jump on his back due to the large start-up, potentially making it less useful. I guess the testers will check that out.

As for the claws and spike on his tail, would it be possible to slightly ''dirty'' their textures? Make them less white? Ridley is, after all, someone who's seen some action against alien races and Federation forces throughout his career. If this was the Ridley clone that was recently born in a clean Bottle Ship, then the clean claws make sense :)
Well, it is like that for other strong attacks with long start up and it has a lot more range than any of those. Ness' yo-yo is a lot weaker and has less range.

I could desaturate them with the rest of textures and make them a bit darker like on Brawl model. That could work.

Last edited:

Draco_The

Smash Lord
I really don't get why everyone doesn't like the Other M model. I really warmed up to it after I realized the brawl model looks kinda terrible. And what Bagan has done to the model makes it even better. It does seem enough people want the textures desaturated though (I personally don't see the big deal, but if it fits Brawl/PM better).
Tiny head on big muscular body. Spikes everywhere. Duck head.

They just destroyed everything that made Ridley, well, Ridley.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

His head isn't tiny. It has normal size. Its just that regular Ridley had a giant head nearly as big as his body. He is still very thin, with visible ribs and everything (he just looks bulky). Duck head - yes, it is a bad decision.

Draco_The

Smash Lord
His head isn't tiny. It has normal size. Its just that regular Ridley had a giant head nearly as big as his body. He is still very thin, with visible ribs and everything (he just looks bulky). Duck head - yes, it is a bad decision.
It's definetely smaller, and the bulky body and short (and muscular) neck doesn't help either.

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
It's definetely smaller, and the bulky body and short (and muscular) neck doesn't help either.
Just a note that Brawl Ridley in this image was edited to have a smaller head. I know since I was the one to make the original image and Brawl Ridley's head is gigantic.

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
Nair and Fthrow have been nerfed and look really good now. (I won't say balanced yet, lol.)

But hell, I have to make a video with the current Neutral B fireballs. They are hilariously OP.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord

I don't think so. It's part of it, but not entirely, and I think that the smaller head goes better with that particular heavier set body type than the big head.
It's more that Ridley has a more humanoid build compared to most other dragons. I think.

latinking

Smash Apprentice
But hell, I have to make a video with the current Neutral B fireballs. They are hilariously OP.
How so? Is it their speed? From what I saw, they seemed pretty fast, faster than any fireballs Ridley could shoot out in both 2D and 3D games.

After watching the closed beta video, I feel that his Grab animations could be a bit slowed down. The main reason is because the animations are so fast, that we don't get to see the overall detail, work and beauty that was put into them. It all goes so fast and finishes in a blur. The gifs of the grabs being slow is what made me appreciate them to their full extent in the first place. Am I the only one who thinks they might be too fast?

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
Going slightly off-topic here, I took the pleasure of reading the "discussion" taking place in the comments section of the showcase video. It's absolutely disgusting to me.
Everyone there is catching feelings over a mod that they neither created nor paid for, and it's absolutely pointless. This Ridley mod is one that you, Bagan, made in your free time because YOU wanted to see it in the game. They try so hard to push their opinions about it, extending the whole Ridley debate, as if it's truly relevant. When in all reality, it's annoying and pathetic. Balancing issues, I can understand. The whole size thing is a waste of breath if anyone really is still complaining about it.
Plus, it is not the final product, and everyone is complaining as if it's an official thing. It's sad that I even paid the whole thing on YouTube any attention, but it's worse that people catch feelings over something they are not relevant to.

D

Deleted member

So...will this be in an official release of Project M? I ask because I would like it to be so!

Last edited by a moderator:

yosharioIII

Smash Apprentice

(The preportions are way better on this one and I think the spikes look cool. And eh, just the beak is slightly ducky, but I know it's 'sposed to make him look like some sort of pteranodon, not that it matters 'cause Bagan changed that. And, pray tell, what made Ridley Ridley? A giant bug-eyed head on a scrawny gross body? I disagree. And idk, I feel the Other M model makes him look more... expressive? Regardless, these are all just opinions. Everyone's entitled! I just don't want anyone to cause a stink.

Going slightly off-topic here, I took the pleasure of reading the "discussion" taking place in the comments section of the showcase video. It's absolutely disgusting to me.
Everyone there is catching feelings over a mod that they neither created nor paid for, and it's absolutely pointless. This Ridley mod is one that you, Bagan, made in your free time because YOU wanted to see it in the game. They try so hard to push their opinions about it, extending the whole Ridley debate, as if it's truly relevant. When in all reality, it's annoying and pathetic. Balancing issues, I can understand. The whole size thing is a waste of breath if anyone really is still complaining about it.
Plus, it is not the final product, and everyone is complaining as if it's an official thing. It's sad that I even paid the whole thing on YouTube any attention, but it's worse that people catch feelings over something they are not relevant to.
Some people just kinda suck, there's not much that can be done about it. I've spent more time than I should have on comment sections, but I most just try telling people to stop arguing flat out, not change any opinions. If they wanna get pissy over something that doesn't really matter, more power to them. So long as they don't harass anyone.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master

Holy ****, I am extremely aroused right now. It looks spectacular.

That design makes him look like a dragon that had no food in years.
Well, it's because he's supposed to (at least partially) resemble a Xenomorph. I personally prefer Classic Ridley, but your improvements to the Other M model (and the fact that you've given so much life to Ridley in your PSA) have improved it at least tenfold.

That said, I certainly hope the upcoming Metroid returns Ridley to his gangly, Geiger-esque glory.

Last edited:

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
The Olimar .rel appears to work perfectly, and I expect the ROB, Lucas and Jigglypuff modules to work flawlessly as well. Now, I just need to write some Ocarina codes. Are there any other characters that people would like to replace?

EDIT: Added a picture of Ridley over Olimar

Last edited:

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
The Olimar .rel appears to work perfectly, and I expect the ROB, Lucas and Jigglypuff modules to work flawlessly as well. Now, I just need to write some Ocarina codes. Are there any other characters that people would like to replace?

No, this is good. Every other character is important, and I will miss Oliamr, but it will be worth it for this.

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
No, this is good. Every other character is important, and I will miss Oliamr, but it will be worth it for this.
Indeed. This was a general question, though; all of the .rels will be released with Ridley, so I want to give everyone the opportunity to overwrite whomever they want.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
How so? Is it their speed? From what I saw, they seemed pretty fast, faster than any fireballs Ridley could shoot out in both 2D and 3D games.

After watching the closed beta video, I feel that his Grab animations could be a bit slowed down. The main reason is because the animations are so fast, that we don't get to see the overall detail, work and beauty that was put into them. It all goes so fast and finishes in a blur. The gifs of the grabs being slow is what made me appreciate them to their full extent in the first place. Am I the only one who thinks they might be too fast?
No, it is their hitlag and knockback. That was fixed by reducing hitlag by 100% and reducing knockback by half.
EDIT: wait, it isn't as bad as it was before, but it is still easily spammable.

That is mostly to match Project M's pace/speed. Even then, they last for a while (compared to other throws) with the only exception being back throw.

Wait, are articles still present in it too? Or i will have to make flamethrower default Neutral B for those ports?

Last edited:

latinking

Smash Apprentice
That is mostly to match Project M's pace/speed. Even then, they last for a while (compared to other throws) with the only exception being back throw.
Hmm... maybe it's just the speed of the back throw that throws me off then.
By the way, how strong are Ridley's grabs compared to other characters' grab attacks?
Also, seeing as how Ridley has excellent mobility in the air, wouldn't it make sense to have his running speed equal or slower than Bowser's? Or his walking speed reduced?

Top Bottom