• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Train Your Brain by Smashing! Dr. Kawashima for SSB4! (Deconfirmed, But at Least he's an AT!)

Do you expect Dr. Kawashima to be in the next Smash Bros?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammer B

Smash Journeyman
To be honest, I think that Nintendo DS’s “Touch Generations” needs desperately representation in the next games in the form of a playable character, given its success in sales and its significance in contemporary Nintendo's history.
Based on the former criteria, the best character to represent this brand of games would be either a Nintendog or Dr. Kawashima.
The Nintendog seems unlikely given its body structure and the possible asociation with animal cruelty. So, it seems that Dr. Kawashima is the best candidate after all.
However, it would still be pretty weird to fight as a floating head. To solve it, the developers could mix his polygonal head and hands with the body of one of the Non-Nintendo games in which Kawashima appears (those games were developed by Namco, by the way) and give us a more suitable fighter this way.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
To be honest, I think that Nintendo DS’s “Touch Generations” needs desperately representation in the next games in the form of a playable character, given its success in sales and its significance in contemporary Nintendo's history.
Based on the former criteria, the best character to represent this brand of games would be either a Nintendog or Dr. Kawashima.
The Nintendog seems unlikely given its body structure and the possible asociation with animal cruelty. So, it seems that Dr. Kawashima is the best candidate after all.
However, it would still be pretty weird to fight as a floating head. To solve it, the developers could mix his polygonal head and hands with the body of one of the Non-Nintendo games in which Kawashima appears (those games were developed by Namco, by the way) and give us a more suitable fighter this way.

Like this?
That looks creepy..

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
The only disincentive obstacle that Dr. Kawashima has to go through is Kawashima himself. As long as Sakurai and Nintendo can obtain his permission to use his likeliness within a Super Smash Brothers game, then I don't see anything else than can impede his progress. I mean, there's always the issue of popularity and highly-touted requests, none of which Dr. Kawashima possess in the slightest, yet Sakurai can always bypass this regulation by relegating the fine doctor into another role that doesn't require much in the means of popularity, such as an unexpected surprise (Wii Fit Trainer). It's not to say Dr. Kawashima is a dead-locked absolute certainty. Oh no, not at all. It is still a strenuous journey fought with danger and peril, but it is not an impassable journey. Some of this depends on Sakurai's ideas, and if they include the doctor.

However, there are two concerns I must address properly.

The first one is in reply to the above poll's first optional choice, in that is says, "...if Villager and Wii Fit Trainer are in the game...". When Sakurai implemented these two exceptionally-bizarre characters, he did not do so with the intention of ****s-and-giggles, at the expense of his fan-base. Rather, in addition to the added surprise (not shock) value, Sakurai believed these two to be "unique characters" that "lend themselves well to the Smash Bros. family", especially because "they bring things we don't already see". In essence, the Wii Fit Trainer and the Villager exclusively themselves, bringing in elements of uniqueness not otherwise found anywhere else in the game.

http://nintendoeverything.com/sakur...er-in-new-smash-bros-just-to-surprise-people/

In the case of Dr. Kawashima, if he is to be properly compared to the likes of Wii Fit Trainer and Villager, then he must also bring in that same level of diversity that Sakurai desires.

The second point I must raise, again, is whether or not the real-life Kawashima would even permit Nintendo license to use his likeliness in a fighting game. As I've said previously, that is an obstacle to overcome, assuming Sakurai even invites him, Obviously, this is a fictional depiction of Kawashima, but nonetheless a depiction of him in a fighting game. It all depends on whether or not Kawashima would except an hypothetical invitation.

All in all, Dr. Kawashima would be an interestingly unique, if not outright bizarre (a sui generis of sorts), ingredient to the potpourri of Super Smash Brothers, although such an event seems to have extraordinary low probability. Consider me half-and-half, 50/50 on welcoming this idea, as I am unsure of what to think of this thought.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Still better idea than Wii Fit Trainer.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Yes, BluePikmin11, EMBRACE the casual representation, as I have...

Lord Kawashima and Nintendog are suddenly a dangerous duo.

Support.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Added a video to the OP:
I totally recommend watching this, you might just warm up to Dr. Kawashima.
Also added a new article basing around Dr, Kawashima's inclusion.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
lol I don't think his ugliness will affect Sakurai's decision in any way, that would be offensive to the real Dr. Kawashima. :laugh:
Edit: I also had a new idea about Dr. Kawashima, he would be the only character who can't be pitfalled, since he's a floating head. :lick:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Here ya go, some shading! although I'm not the best shader.

I was thinking about GoldenYuiitusin's comment on how the idea is a bit unlikely, given that Brain Age and Nintendogs is a series not depicted of violence. Is there any part of Brain Age where Dr. Kawashima at least gives some sort of punch or physical violence?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Here ya go, some shading! although I'm not the best shader.

I was thinking about GoldenYuiitusin's comment on how the idea is a bit unlikely, given that Brain Age and Nintendogs is a series not depicted of violence. Is there any part of Brain Age where Dr. Kawashima at least gives some sort of punch?
Pray tell, what is he doing in that picture?

Morbi

Scavenger
I am not going to lie, that picture you edited looks really good. Did you make that video by the way? Or is it just something you came across. This might not be a bad idea, I would not want him playable. However, I think he would be my favorite assist trophy or boss though. Damn it, you are actually making me want him! Haha.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Oh that video isn't mine, it's simply someone's walkthrough of Brain Age: Concentration Training, I thought the walkthrough was entertaining enough for you to get engaged to Dr. Kawashima.

Morbi

Scavenger
Oh that video isn't mine, it's simply someone's walkthrough of Brain Age: Concentration Training, I thought the walkthrough was entertaining enough for you to get engaged to Dr. Kawashima.
It was actually quite entertaining. I thought you had a talent in regards to keeping interest intact, it was a great video. The "Kawashima for Smash" comment made me think it was you. Haha. Either way, I am actually warming up to him. It is a little unfortunate because I do not think he will happen. However, I now WANT him to happen. It is quite the predicament.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
The pictures are neat and the Dr. could be something interesting to see in battle, great thread BluePikmin11, anyway what font did you use for the banner reveal?
.n_n.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I do have to say, I'm liking this idea more and more, even if I don't see it happening when we have Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, and the very possible Miis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom