• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link General Information Discussion Thread

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Toon Link in the Spirit Tracks stage means Toon Link was removed, they said. :chuckle:
Guess who was confirmed today?
Spirit Tracks Link's presence didn't make me doubt Toon Link's return either, as I've realized that those two Links are separate entities. Anyone who thought otherwise probably never studied the Legend of Zelda timeline.

In other news, does anyone else find the following screenshot charming?

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Yoooo. This opens up a lot of possibilities. I was a firm rejecter of Ridley.. Now...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Toon Link's early reveal makes me beleive that we have a newcomer in the Zelda series,like Luigi's reveal.
Yeah... probably Toon Zelda... since she was planned to be in Brawl. I want a Zelda newcomer who is NOT a clone of any existing Zelda characters or any existing characters (looking at you, Ganondorf).

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
But the "brilliant" people on Smashboards, who obviously has accessed to the games' production, said that Toon Link was getting cut because of train stage!!!!!!!111!!!oneonelevenltyone!!!

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
I pretty much had a feeling that ever since The Wind Waker HD was in development that Toon Link might be coming back. Today pretty much proved my point.
Same here. I was not in the least bit surprised by Toon Link's reveal for Smash 4. If anything, I was expecting it this month.

I must say, Toon Link looks way better in Smash 4 than he did in Brawl. I also love his facial expressions.

Anyhow, though I doubt I will end up maining him, for he is not mine kind of character, in terms of playstyle, it is cool to see Toon Link return.

Oh, and I guess this also confirms clones will be in the game. [Shrugs] Not that it bothers me.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
If there's one thing that comes out of this it's the fact that I can say "I told you so" to the people who thought Spirit Tracks Link meant Wind Waker Link wasn't going to show up (Despite being two completely different characters)

Squartle

Smash Apprentice
I'd assume most of Toon Link's detractors are either just clone nazi's, dislike the character or just hate the idea of two Link's in general and thus try to cling on to these arguments as if they 100% confirm Toon Link of being cut.
You just described every person who suggested a character cut ever.

I am personally not hyped about the reveal, since I never used him in Brawl or PM, and he appears to still be a clone. I also think his resources would have been better spent making Link more powerful... But whatever! I'm still happy that you guys get something to be excited about. It's a Smash game. The more, the merrier!

Now, about Ridley.

tekkie

Smash Master
one of my big hopes for competitive smash 4 is that there will still be a significant focus on smart item usage. i think this is some strong evidence for that lol

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
In his defense, I mean, Toon Link IS another form of Link. I know some moveset changes need to take place, but for the most part his special moves are pretty standard. I can't imagine his down B being something other than a bomb.

I don't see why UP B in air can't be a separate move from grounded up B. Like, why not use the Deku Leaf? So he can glide down?

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Hope hes not to "clony" this time and sakurai improve him with moves involving his Wind Waker, maybe the Deku Leaf, if he ends as a clone again, then that means sakurai is only using Toon Link to make advertising of Wind Waker HD in a dirty way.
Glad hes back.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Maybe this is a sign that either:

A) Sakurai wants us to know that his attempts at bringing back veterans is giving of delicious fruit.
B) He just made the whole "limited-roster-cut-will-be-likely" thing all up just to scare us.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Imo, the reason is purely to show off HD Cel Shading.
And what better character to rep it?

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Maybe this is a sign that either:

A) Sakurai wants us to know that his attempts at bringing back veterans is giving of delicious fruit.
B) He just made the whole "limited-roster-cut-will-be-likely" thing all up just to scare us.
Or, y'know, it could simply be that Wind Waker HD came out in Japan today, just like Sakurai said in his Miiverse post. If he's going to be in the game, this it the time to show it.

Galaga

Smash 3 Dev Team
3DS FC
4940-6585-2366
So does this mean Young Link is never coming back? =P

Not really surprised to see him back since WW HD and all. Glad to see TLink though.

Gormanbros

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0817-3869-4592
Made my day. Toon Link's my Brawl main, and I'm so excited he's back! Now, my Melee and Brawl mains are confirmed, now my 64 main Ness, please? Haha. Anyhow, ecstatic to see Toon return!

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
Hurray now I'm worried that a veteran character with a unique moveset will be cut.

But he looks visually nice... just hoping he isn't the same brawl toon link.

Nemy

群れ
I'm a huge huge Zelda fan, but the fact that Toon Link is returning is incredibly disappointing to me.
Same here. Toon Link/Young Link always seems to be more viable than Link.

Hopefully they will at least be unique moveset wise. Maye then there will be a reason to use Link, otherwise I dont see him being a good choice over TL.

Toon link04

Smash Cadet
I LOVE YOU NINTENDO!!!;) IM SO HAPPY!!!SDEJHSJF OK LET ME CALM DOWN OR I MIGHT GET A HEART ATTACK!

Same here. Toon Link/Young Link always seems to be more viable than Link.

Hopefully they will at least be unique moveset wise. Maye then there will be a reason to use Link, otherwise I dont see him being a good choice over TL.
Actually one of the main reasons why they left toon link is beacause he was highly requested in brawl and he was second to sonic only japan got to vote but im happy that they chose sonic and toon link and that is why we still think sonic is stayin

mantlecore77

Smash Journeyman
I imagine they'll give Link a couple more "umph" attacks. I hope Toon Link gets "Luigified" but I think his dynamic as a catch-all for alternative Link guises is a good idea. His "Toon-ness" is fair enough, but the many alternative styles of Zelda gives me reason to think that they will diversify him while keeping Link a staple character with almost predictable gameplay. Maybe not predictable... just, more consistent with his role in Smash.

Toon link04

Smash Cadet

What attack is this? Up- B..? or like a F-air or B-air.. I didn't play enough of TL in brawl to really know his moveset by heart. :)
Up-B its the spin attack

Hoping he dosent get EXTREMELY nerfed since they are balencing the game...Still dont nerf him since the "child link" of melee and brawl was added to be better than normal link and they were and so....Im not that"I TOLD YOU SO!"types but for any person saying toon link is cut:I TOLD YOU SO!!!!Now to wait on sonic

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
My little brother and I are extremely happy. My little brother MAINS Toon Link, so he's uber-happy and is dancing right now to his own rhythm, also known as Gerudo Valley.

I'm ecstatic. This means that even the "likely" cuts may not happen. So happy to see him again!

Does this mean we'll now get an overload of Zelda characters now? :troll:

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
I'm not surprised he's back. Once The Wind Waker HD was announced I knew he wouldn't be going anywhere. Well, truth be told, I did briefly doubt him when I saw the Spirit Tracks stage, but when I took into account that Spirit Tracks Link is a completely different character, and that the graphics for that stage are ripped directly from Spirit Tracks meaning 'background Toon Link' would look extremely different to 'playable Toon Link' anyway (even if they weren't wearing different clothes), that doubt evaporated. The only thing that has surprised me is that the 'one character per month' patten has been broken, which is a pleasant surprise.

I like how this time around Toon Link has actually been made to look like he does in The Wind Waker rather than him having more realistic textures.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
I just thought of something: One way they could make Toon Link more unique from regular Link is to give him the Hurricane Spin from The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. On the ground, when the player fully charges Toon Link's spin attack, Toon Link will be able to move around at a high velocity whilst performing the attack. However, due to acceleration, switching directions will be difficult.

[EDIT] Or wait... was he able to do that in Brawl? I do not remember.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I just thought of something: One way they could make Toon Link more unique from regular Link is to give him the Hurricane Spin from The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. On the ground, when the player fully charges Toon Link's spin attack, Toon Link will be able to move around at a high velocity whilst performing the attack. However, due to acceleration, switching directions will be difficult.

[EDIT] Or wait... was he able to do that in Brawl? I do not remember.
He can do that in Brawl Minus and Project M, but not vBrawl.

He should be able to though. It's cool.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Toon Link should definitely have the Hurricane Spin, I mean c'mon it''s like his signature attack (I believe only the Link's who had Toon Link's designs did ever perform that attack throughout the Zelda series, correct me if I'm wrong).

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Toon Link confirmed? Like we need another reason to buy the game. Wind waker HD insured this great version of LInk would not be cut... alright, That's a lie. I'm glad to have him anyway. Next:

Veteran Mewtwo??? PLEASE?

Toon link04

Smash Cadet
Toon Link should definitely have the Hurricane Spin, I mean c'mon it''s like his signature attack (I believe only the Link's who had Toon Link's designs did ever perform that attack throughout the Zelda series, correct me if I'm wrong).
No your are correct only the toon incarnations of link(WW link,PHG link and ST Link)could use the:SUPER DUPER SPINNY SLASH MOVE OF DEATH!!!

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I figured if they were to cut characters (like Sakurai was talking at E3) that Toon Link would be up there on the chopping block. With him being shown, it gives me faith that the Nintendo cast will come back.

Good to see Toon Link.

Top Bottom