• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link General Information Discussion Thread

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
In other words, even if this is evidence of Toon Link's removal. This can also be evidence of his return.
Of course I'm not saying that this means that Toon Link is definitely coming back, but this isn't really good enough evidence of him being cut. That's all.

Hope you had a good read. I'm thinking of doing a part 2 with Toon Link and his current two rivals, Young Link and Classic Link but I'm not sure about it yet...
Swung by this thread like you suggested. Let me clear things up, I was never debating on whether or not WW & PH = ST Link, I was more so aiming at the fact that the Donkey Kong in the arcades has been referred to by Rare as Donkey "Cranky" Kong Sr. since 1994. So the case on 75m is no different than the case on Jungle Japes, where DK is fighting while Donkey "Cranky" Kong Sr. is chill'n in the background. But you already covered this fact; which was what i was getting at.

As for your Toon Link's chances argument, everything you stated seems to be pretty strong to me, BUT I will mention 1 thing:
We are assuming that the Toon Link that will appear in this installment of Smash, will be the Windwaker Link. Now Link, (I'm talking this Link now) has this weird history in Smash where his moveset and looks are altered upon the newest console installments of LoZ. With ST (which is the latest installment in the Toon Link saga if i believe) Link being rendered as a stage prop, that may possibly shrink Toon Link's moveset pool.
We haven't seen Link's side special yet to see if this tread continues, so it's hard determine if he still has the Twilight Princess influenced moveset with the Gale Boomerang.

Not to mention Toon Link, along Jigglypuff and Wolf were added last minute. Meaning these characters weren't apart of the core set of characters. This coupled with the fact of this article: http://nintendoeverything.com/12606...ime-to-bring-back-every-smash-bros-character/
Doesn't really bode to well for Toon Link which would make Toon Link a wasted opportunity

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm not even going to bother with you Ike-Sama... :facepalm:

anyway's...

Swung by this thread like you suggested. Let me clear things up, I was never debating on whether or not WW & PH = ST Link, I was more so aiming at the fact that the Donkey Kong in the arcades has been referred to by Rare as Donkey "Cranky" Kong Sr. since 1994. So the case on 75m is no different than the case on Jungle Japes, where DK is fighting while Donkey "Cranky" Kong Sr. is chill'n in the background. But you already covered this fact; which was what i was getting at.

As for your Toon Link's chances argument, everything you stated seems to be pretty strong to me, BUT I will mention 1 thing:
We are assuming that the Toon Link that will appear in this installment of Smash, will be the Windwaker Link. Now Link, (I'm talking this Link now) has this weird history in Smash where his moveset and looks are altered upon the newest console installments of LoZ. With ST (which is the latest installment in the Toon Link saga if i believe) Link being rendered as a stage prop, that may possibly shrink Toon Link's moveset pool.
We haven't seen Link's side special yet to see if this tread continues, so it's hard determine if he still has the Twilight Princess influenced moveset with the Gale Boomerang.

Not to mention Toon Link, along Jigglypuff and Wolf were added last minute. Meaning these characters weren't apart of the core set of characters. This coupled with the fact of this article: http://nintendoeverything.com/12606...ime-to-bring-back-every-smash-bros-character/
Doesn't really bode to well for Toon Link which would make Toon Link a wasted opportunity

Yeah I realise that he isn't called Donkey Kong anymore, but I'm pretty sure we are on the same page now on that subject.

Yeah the thing with Link is though is that he is still using the same design of bomb's and bow that he used in Twilight Princess as you can see here.

[collapse=Link's bow and bomb's in Smash Bros WiiU/3DS]
[/collapse]
[collapse=Link's bow and bomb's in Brawl]
[/collapse]
[collapse=Link's bow and bomb's in Twilight Princess]
[/collapse]
[collapse=Link's bow and bomb's in Skyward Sword]
[/collapse]

Now be honest with me. To which Link does the bow and bomb's most likely belong to in Smash bros Wii U/3DS? Is it the more recent Skyward Sword Link, or do they belong to the older Twilight Princess Link? If these weapons belong to Twilight Princess Link I believe it's safe to assume that he will most likely still be using the Gale boomerang. It doesn't make sense if he uses two items from one game but the other not. Do you get what I mean?

So if this doesn't affect Twilight Princess Link, then I don't really see why this should be affecting Wind Waker Link either.

I do agree on your last point though. The thing that both Toon Link and Young Link share in common is that they were indeed both a last minute addition to the game. Seeing as how Sakurai stated that he added young Link because he felt the Melee roster being quite lacking and he wanted to buff it up with more clones since he still had some time to include more characters and how Toon Link did not have any role in the Subspace Emmisary and not being among the other Zelda characters, along with Jigglypuff and Wolf and their series respectively.

If we go by this then the most likely scenario could be that Toon Link or any child Link would be likely a last minute addition again like they were in previous smash bros games. So in the end, this would have nothing to do with Spirit Track's Link being a part of a stage, the most likely scenario of why Toon Link would be cut would be either due to time constraints this time getting the best of him, or there being another child Link taking his place as was the case with Young Link. And not because there is a doppelganger of him in one stage that isn't even him in the first place. After all, the only Melee vets who were actually meant to be cut according to the forbidden seven thing were Pichu because Sakurai stated that he was only meant to be a joke character and Young Link because he was meant to be replaced by Toon Link.

Sakurai still has another year to finish this game and as was the case with Brawl and Kid Icarus Uprising, it could be very possible that we could get a delay or two as well. Not to mention that Sakurai also stated that he is going to pour most of his energy on the characters and stages. With him also stating that he is trying to add as many characters as possible.

Yes I agree and I'm not going to deny it. There is a chance that Toon Link could be cut, but I don't believe that he is definitely going to be cut. Do you get what I mean?

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I'm not even going to bother with you Ike-Sama... :facepalm:

anyway's...

Yeah I realise that he isn't called Donkey Kong anymore, but I'm pretty sure we are on the same page now on that subject.

Yeah the thing with Link is though is that he is still using the same design of bomb's and bow that he used in Twilight Princess as you can see here.

[collapse=Link's bow and bomb's in Smash Bros WiiU/3DS]
[/collapse]
[collapse=Link's bow and bomb's in Brawl]
[/collapse]
[collapse=Link's bow and bomb's in Twilight Princess]
[/collapse]
[collapse=Link's bow and bomb's in Skyward Sword]
[/collapse]

Now be honest with me. To which Link does the bow and bomb's most likely belong to in Smash bros Wii U/3DS? Is it the more recent Skyward Sword Link, or do they belong to the older Twilight Princess Link? If these weapons belong to Twilight Princess Link I believe it's safe to assume that he will most likely still be using the Gale boomerang. It doesn't make sense if he uses two items from one game but the other not. Do you get what I mean?

So if this doesn't affect Twilight Princess Link, thenn I don't really see why this should be affecting Wind Waker Link either.

I do agree on your last point though. The thing that both Toon Link and Young Link share in common is that they were indeed both a last minute addition to the game. Seeing as how Sakurai stated that he added young Link because he felt the Melee roster being quite lacking and he wanted to buff it up with more clones since he still had some time to include more characters and how Toon Link did not have any role in the Subspace Emmisary and not being among the other Zelda characters, along with Jigglypuff and Wolf and their series respectively.

If we go by this then the most likely scenario could be that Toon Link (or any child Link) would be likely a last minute addition again like they were in previous smash bros games. So in the end, this would have nothing to do with Spirit Track's Link being a part of a stage, the most likely scenario of why Toon Link would be cut would be either due to time constraints this time getting the best of him, or there being another child taking his place as was the case with Young Link. After all, the only Melee vets who were actually meant to be cut according to the forbidden seven thing were Pichu because Sakurai stated that he was only meant to be a joke character and Young Link because he was meant to be replaced by Toon Link.

Sakurai still has another year to finish this game and as was the case with Brawl and Kid Icarus Uprising, it could be very possible that we could get a delay or two as well. Not to mention that Sakurai also stated that he is going to pour most of his energy on the characters and stages. With him also stating that he is trying to add as many character as possible.

Yes I agree and I'm not going to deny it. There is a chance that Toon Link could be cut, but I don't believe that he is definitely going to be cut. Do you get what I mean?
Good catch. I honestly glaze over the bow and bombs, I was really looking for instances of him using his side special in the screenshots and trailers to determine which Link he was.

Yeah, I get what you mean. It's still early and from the way how Nintendo gives vague release date windows this game may possibly release Q4 of 2014. It still can go either way. I would still prefer Toon Link > Classic Link > Young Link (He doesn't even use arrows).

neoREgen

Smash Journeyman

This is going to break after a day because it isn't a permalinked image, but I'm too lazy to upload it to my own server.
Here we have Toon Link running the train stage in train conductor uniform, without a black outline like the playable characters have for 3DS.
Pretty certain that's confirmation that Toon Link will not be playable.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Ah well. All I can do I guess is just wait and see until the full roster is revealed or Sakurai confirming it himself and just deal with all these people claiming that Spirit Track's Link = Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass Link = Brawl Toon Link is cut.

Honestly, Sakurai simply said that he just doesn't have the time to bring back all the characters so if Toon Link does get cut, it would simply be due to time constraints and not because someone who isn't even him or is wearing the same clothes is a part of a stage. Either that or it is because he got replaced by another Zelda character (most likely by Young Link or Classic Link I would say).

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
.... :glare:

You know what, I give up.

All I can do I guess is just wait and see until the full roster is revealed or Sakurai confirming it himself and just deal with all these people claiming that Spirit Track's Link = Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass Link = Brawl Toon Link is cut.

Honestly, Sakurai simply said that he just doesn't have the time to bring back all the characters so if Toon Link does get cut, it would simply be due to time constraints and not because someone who isn't even him or is wearing the same clothes is a part of a stage. Either that or it is because he got replaced by another Zelda character (most likely by Young Link or Classic Link I would say).
LOL!! Your going to be seeing this a lot. I wasn't the first and I won't be the last.
I just hope IF a 2nd Link were to return that it would be Toon Link rather than Young, Classic or CDi Link.

All we can do now (As if we haven't all this time) is play the waiting game.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
LOL!! Your going to be seeing this a lot. I wasn't the first and I won't be the last.
I just hope IF a 2nd Link were to return that it would be Toon Link rather than Young, Classic or CDi Link.

All we can do now (As if we haven't all this time) is play the waiting game.

I know! Why did Sakurai reveal that stage so soon. It should have been an unlockable stage. Now I have to deal with this all the way until the game's release. :facepalm: Then again, People would have probably still jumped the Toon Link is cut bandwagon even if that stage was never shown, I guess this is just an excuse for them to shove it down everyone's throats.

And lol CDi Link. xD Yeah I do really hope that Toon Link stays if we do get another child Link again. But we should be prepared for Young Link's return, Classic Link's appearance or perhaps a new Zelda character taking over (Probably Impa or Tingle. Maybe a one shot Zelda character like Ghirahim but I don't really see them, but I guess you never know...). Toon Link is just hazy but I hope he comes back if a child Link really is that important for Sakurai.

Like you said, we can argue all we like but in the end. All we can do is just sit back and wait and see what happens.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well, thinking about it, I'm quite sure that there will a child Link. Zelda series has had 4 slots since Melee, I strongly doubt that it will decrease. And I don't find any Zelda character that can replace the 2nd link.

Toon Zelda/Tetra, Vaati and Toon Ganon all depend on Toon Link staying.
Tingle doesn't depend on anyone to get in, I doubt that he'll get in before the 2nd Link
Impa... I don't think she has a realistic chance. Similar to Tingle, I don't see her getting in over the 2nd Link.

So basically, I think Toon Link's largest competition at this point is Classic Link.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well, thinking about it, I'm quite sure that there will a child Link. Zelda series has had 4 slots since Melee, I strongly doubt that it will decrease. And I don't find any Zelda character that can replace the 2nd link.

Toon Zelda/Tetra, Vaati and Toon Ganon all depend on Toon Link staying.
Tingle doesn't depend on anyone to get in, I doubt that he'll get in before the 2nd Link
Impa... I don't think she has a realistic chance. Similar to Tingle, I don't see her getting in over the 2nd Link.

So basically, I think Toon Link's largest competition at this point is Classic Link.

Exactly, the problem is in terms of Zelda reps that there aren't really any realistic characters who could potentially replace the Child Link's and take up that fourth slot since like you. I can't really see Sakurai decreasing the Zelda reps by one slot especially since he said that a child Link is important to him.
Even if Tingle made it in he will likely end up representing his own Tingle Spin-off franchise like Wario and Yoshi do.
Which leaves only Impa and like you, I don't really think she has much of a realistic chance of getting in. She could, but I just can't really see it happening. :/
I guess there is also Ghirahim, Zant, Midna etc etc but I'm not sure if their one-shot status warrants them a playable rep.
And then there are the likes of Blue Pig Ganon, Vaati, Toon Zelda/Tetra who I can't really see getting in without a child Link being there alongside them.

Which leaves only the Child Link's to take up that fourth slot. Toon Link's only realistic competition is thus Classic Link and Young Link to some degree.

So in one way or another we will likely get a child Link again in Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS. Whoever it is is up for debate. But I would personally want to see Toon Link return and hopefully Wind Waker HD will encourage Sakurai to do just that.

bobadz

Smash Ace
I don't think toon link will be cut, but he could be cut due to time constraints.

But , i think sakurai has said he prefers to have a younger version of link playable.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I don't think toon link will be cut, but he could be cut due to time constraints.
Thank You. (As well as another Zelda character taking his place of course, most likely Young Link or Classic Link I guess)

But , i think sakurai has said he prefers to have a younger version of link playable.
Well I don't think he said that he prefers a younger version of Link playable (Else they would have been the default Link).

But that he feels that a child Link is important to him. Which I can totally see where he is coming from. After all, out of 17 Zelda games (Including a Link between Worlds) 14 have had a child Link in them. (Ocarina of Time had both an adult and child Link though.)

So he may feel that a child Link is kinda necessary in order to represent the series better. I think the reason he doesn't opt to make the child Link's the default Link is because the Adult versions are usually more popular and because he already chose the adult version over the child one during Super Smash Bros 64 so I guess he kinda wanted to stick with that.

SuperSkeetBro

Smash Journeyman

This is going to break after a day because it isn't a permalinked image, but I'm too lazy to upload it to my own server.
Here we have Toon Link running the train stage in train conductor uniform, without a black outline like the playable characters have for 3DS.
Pretty certain that's confirmation that Toon Link will not be playable.

THANK YOU! FINALLY someone noticed the most important evidence! I read this whole stupid thread listening to half concocted arguments about dopplgangers not being in the same game and which zeldas are most current. I noticed two important things myself and nobody noticed or responded to your post. You mentioned the biggest evidence, tho this still aint conclusive. I liked someone else idea that alfonso conducts when TL is playing. However most likely hes NPC. or perhaps TL wasnt finished but they wanted to show the stage for the trailer TL had would have to seem NPC without conclusively being NPC. this brings me to the second most important peice of evidence (actually arguing for a bigger possibility that he IS in the game, or at least why his presence isnt deconfirming); every clip or pic we see of the ST level we only see 3 fighters and conductor link. Which still leaves the door wide open for the possibility of his return.....but that outline thing is still very discouraging

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Sakurai said there would be NEARLY identical rosters, correct? So, if I'm not mistaken, wouldn't it make sense for Toon Link NOT to be on the 3DS version? I believe that :toonlink:will be Wii U-exclusive (due to his Wind Waker HD remake) and have :younglinkmelee: a 3DS-exclusive (due to his Ocarina of Time 3DS remake). So not only would that allow :toonlink: to appear in 3DS stages, but it would also allow :younglinkmelee: to make cameos on the Wii U version. So I could be completely wrong, but, hey, it's a theory. A GAME THEORY. :awesome:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Guys, just stop using the Spirit Train argument. It's pretty much been killed by this following quote that came along a few weeks after that stage was shown.
"On the topic of the roster, Sakurai noted that the 3DS version of the game, with its hardware’s technical limitations, would likely keep the volume of the roster in check, though no characters had been cut so far, and any determination to that effect is a ways away."
Which ultimately means that if Toon Link does get cut for any reason, it definitely wont be because of that stage as he is at least planned to be brought back into the game as a playable character. Not to mention that Sakurai stated that he simply doesn't have the time to bring back all the characters and that he dislikes cuts in general to which goes back to my previous conclusion. If for any reason Toon Link does get cut, it will most likely be due to time constraints. Either that or because he got replaced by another Zelda character. (Most likely by another child Link I'd say. But seeing how TP Link wasn't replaced with SS Link, I'm going to hope that he keeps Toon Link as well instead of replacing him with another child Link.) Not because somebody who isn't even him is a part of a stage.

Why do I even bother? Few messages later and this exact flawed argument will get brought back up again...

And APC99, Sakurai already confirmed (multiple times now) that the roster in both versions will be exactly the same with the exact same characters and the exact same number of them. So I doubt exclusives will happen.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
And APC99, Sakurai already confirmed (multiple times now) that the roster in both versions will be exactly the same with the exact same characters and the exact same number of them. So I doubt exclusives will happen.

Understood. I haven't really payed attention to Sakurai's interviews, only the Nintendo Directs, the Dojo and here.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think Toon Link is a bit more likely of returning than being cut. The only real obstacle against him so far we know is time or if Sakurai wants to put in a different child Link into the game. But since he didn't replace TP Link with SS or OoT Link despite their "recentness" I wonder if the same would apply for Toon Link and he wouldn't be replaced with Classic or Young Link...

If Sakurai still has time left, he will likely squeeze Toon Link back in. If he doesn't than he is likely cut since he's a clone and all and the child Link's sort of have a history of being last minute additions, it will likely be the same case again this time.

Who knows, only time will tell....

SuperSkeetBro

Smash Journeyman
Guys, just stop using the Spirit Train argument. It's pretty much been killed by this following quote that came along a few weeks after that stage was shown.

Which ultimately means that if Toon Link does get cut for any reason, it definitely wont be because of that stage as he is at least planned to be brought back into the game as a playable character. Not to mention that Sakurai stated that he simply doesn't have the time to bring back all the characters and that he dislikes cuts in general to which goes back to my previous conclusion. If for any reason Toon Link does get cut, it will most likely be due to time constraints. Either that or because he got replaced by another Zelda character. (Most likely by another child Link I'd say. But seeing how TP Link wasn't replaced with SS Link, I'm going to hope that he keeps Toon Link as well instead of replacing him with another child Link.) Not because somebody who isn't even him is a part of a stage.

Why do I even bother? Few messages later and this exact flawed argument will get brought back up again...

Actuall from what iv heard is that it will have "nearly identical rosters" but im not %100 sure on that and cant back it up. But if thats true then your statement about him not wanting to cut any characters is probably refering to him not wanting to cut anyone from the wiiu version when makin the 3ds version. And didnt mean cutting the brawl roster from the wiiu/3ds roster

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Actuall from what iv heard is that it will have "nearly identical rosters" but im not %100 sure on that and cant back it up. But if thats true then your statement about him not wanting to cut any characters is probably refering to him not wanting to cut anyone from the wiiu version when makin the 3ds version. And didnt mean cutting the brawl roster from the wiiu/3ds roster

Nah, Sakurai has later on confirmed that the rosters will be exactly the same in both versions. The man has pretty much confirmed it multiple times now. There is not going to be any exclusives.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I wanna call BS on making characters from scratch. Last year, Sakurai even said that they'll be using and porting over the core mechanics of Brawl over to the new Smash Bros. games. Please notice how Mario, Link and Pit have the SAME idle animation that they did in Brawl. SSB64 and Melee, these characters have different idle animations (of course, you can argue that they couldn't do much with N64's tech to give these characters more personality in how they move, stand and attack).

Toon Link still has a decent chance of making the cut because he represents a separate timeline of the Zelda franchise, and frankly, I do think the style the Windwaker plays a significant role in Nintendo's history due to the fact that initially, people were turned off about the new style Windwaker had back in 2002 when it was first revealed. Wasn't until the game came out, people grew a liking to it. That's what I see when it comes to character selection by Sakurai (even though the Toon Link prediction I thought up may seem a little far fetched as for the reasoning of his inclusion).

Mr. Game & Watch is an valuable icon for Nintendo. It's what got Nintendo into the handheld electronics market through the Game&Watch gadgets. Then, ROB, which was supposed to sell Nintendo consoles and rejuvenate home consoles a little after the Great Video Game crash in the 80s. Then, Wii Fit Trainer, which represents the phenomenal success of the Wii and the most successful generation Nintendo has had in years thanks to games like Wii Sports and Wii Fit.

Where does TL fall in with this? Well, probably nothing, but I do think the character is a valuable representation of the Zelda franchises and having another "style" represented isn't a bad thing. All they really need to do is to adjust his movesets. Bombchus, Deku Leaf, Skull Hammer... TL can have an orignal moveset separate from Link's. Of course, he can keep his sword and shield. His specials just need to be changed to be considered more original. And this time, Sakurai has a LARGE team. What, 3 Bamco Studios, plus Sora Ltd, maybe Monolith Soft and a little help from Hal LABs? C'mon, there is a good amount of time to bring a handful of characters back.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
http://smashboards.com/threads/obse...es-desires-for-smash-4-by-chronobound.338160/

You know, after reading Chronobounds observations, I forgot that Toon Link was a very popularly requested character for Smash Bros Brawl in Japan. And that they are worried about his future in Smash.

Chronobound said:
They really like Toon Link. Toon Link was one of their most wanted newcomers for Brawl.

They are worried that he might be cut due to his similarities to regular Link.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is a lot of fear amongst the Japanese Smash Bros. fanbase that Sakurai is going to take a chainsaw to Brawl's roster.
The characters that the Japanese fanbase are worried about being cut are Snake, Sonic, Lucario, Ike, Lucas, Wolf, Toon Link, and Pokemon Trainer.
Keep in mind much of the Japanese Smash Bros. fans don't want anybody to be cut and for Mewtwo and Roy to be brought back.

I already said that Toon Link they are worried about being cut. However, outside of Snake and Sonic, they believe Ike and Lucario are in the most danger of being cut.
Credit to Chronobound for this info.

I recall Chronobound telling me at some point that both Toon Link and Wolf were some of the most requested characters in Japan for Brawl whereas the West preferred to have Midna and Krystal and anytime he tried to tell them this he got a ton of flack for it.

I would like to know what Japan's current opinion is in regards to Toon Link and his chances for Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS after seeing the trailers and how they would feel about other child Link's taking his place such as Classic Link... I might ask him this if I get the chance to talk to him. Hopefully Japan knows better than the West and don't use the Spirit Train argument as much to confirm him 100% cut...

Gormanbros

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0817-3869-4592
I really hope Toon Link comes back. I have a feeling he will, but the Spirit Train stage isn't very encouraging. As a Toon Link main, I would definitely miss his playstyle.

TheBakonBitz

Smash Journeyman
Excuse my laziness if this has been said before but I don't feel like reading 10 pages of text and it's really late.

I have played Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, but none if the other toon link games.

I think either his grapple or side b could be replaced by the whip from Spirit Tracks. His b or side b could be replaced by the whirlwind from Spirit Tracks, this could blow people away and cause minor damage, would be great for spacing and edge guarding. Or his down b could be replaced by the sand wand from Spirit Tracks, this could raise a wall off sand protecting Toon Link while hitting anyone close enough.

I was also thinking maybe phantom zelda with the Phantom Hourglass style armor could be a new rep or another transformation, as they did tag team in Phantom Hourglass.

Wtfwasthat

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if its been said before but on the stage with the train, there is a Toon Link conducting it. I think it would be weird if Nintendo keeps him playable as well as have him in the background of a stage.

EDIT: I can't get the picture to show up in the post :(

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I don't know if its been said before but on the stage with the train, there is a Toon Link conducting it. I think it would be weird if Nintendo keeps him playable as well as have him in the background of a stage.

You clearly did not read through the thread.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

I'm not going to bother explaining things, just read through the thread if you haven't yet. :rolleyes:

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
tl does not need to return. he was a clone character and sakurai wants to practically eliminate clone characters.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Even if it's not Toon Link, there will still be a 2nd Child link though. :p

Supermario12

Smash Apprentice
I know he was in the background of the train level, but WInd Waker is getting a HD remake in October, Toon Link is still relevant, I don't see why he should be removed

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah like Falkoopa said, even if that stage meant that Toon Link can't come back (despite that he can coexist with ST Link just fine), there is still Young Link and Classic Link who could potentially take his place and continue to serve the same purpose really.

Yes there is Tingle and Impa as well, but I can't see them replacing the child Link's.

Toon Link is pretty popular in Japan though so Sakurai might just decide to keep him anyway if there is time left that is instead of working on another child Link design... :/

Ah well, who knows I guess. (besides Sakurai and the development team)

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Why is it so many people think there may be another Young Link that isn't Toon Link?

I have doubts there will be another true Young Link.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Sakurai stated at some point during an interview that a Younger Link is important to him, which is understandable if you go by the fact that 14 out of 17 Zelda games had a Younger Link as the main character (with Ocarina of Time having both a Younger and adult Link).

Even if Toon Link wouldn't return because of that stage, there is still the chance that Sakurai may decide to include a different Younger Link anyway.

But really, that's mostly if Sakurai has the time to include them as the Younger Link's kinda have a history of being low priority characters in Smash.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah same, Toon Link is probably the most popular young Link in Japan as well as the fact he was one of their most wanted characters for Brawl so I guess we will have to wait and see how Sakurai is going to deal with it. I think (and hope) he is probably going to keep Toon Link instead of replacing him again for another young Link.

D

Deleted member

I really hope Toon Link doesn't get cut; he's my main in Brawl and one of the few sword wielders I actually like (the other two being Ike and Meta Knight). Not to mention, I don't see any real reason to cut him; in fact, most things seem to be pointing to his return (the Spirit Train argument is extremely flawed and can only really be believed by people who haven't done their research and realised that Spirit Tracks Link and Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass Link are not the same person); he might get cut for Retro Link, though; but Sakurai seems to be reusing most of the designs from Brawl (Link and Fox, for example), he'll probably use the same design for a potential young Link.

Top Bottom