• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To "I suck at smash and it isn't fun any more in For Glory"

bur

Smash Cadet
NNID
c13fairy
I've picked up villager recently and just started using him on FG yesterday. I'm by no means great with him but I'd consider myself decent enough to beat the average FG player.
The match today that made me angry was against a falco. He literally sat near the edge of the stage the whole time, shooting his lasers and would not approach me, no matter what. me being impatient and wanting to get the match going, would approach him with down airs and such but, he would just sit in shield, wait for me to land, then down smash.
If I tried to approach him by foot, he would just continue to fire his lasers and wait for me to get close enough to shield and punish.
It seemed like no matter what I tried, his noobish tactic was beating me out.

/Rant

ScrapHeap

Smash Cadet
As a scrublord who has never been part of the smash community before, I've come to enjoy playing Smash Bros. as a casual game, at least for a little while. When that while came to pass, though, I became super into competitive smash while still keeping my jovial and bantering personality, so that I don't completely devolve into a blubbering mess whenever I lose a game. That's a little bit of a problem for me; I usually take things too seriously, even when I don't actually show it. It tears me up inside when I lose and it's especially noticeable when I play For Glory, specifically against people who are better than I am.

Now, hear me out here. I'm not saying I'm pissy because of lack of skill; I know I suck at smash, and I'm trying to get better. What irks me the most and completely takes the wind out of my sails in smash is when I go up against a string of people in a row who are multitudes better than I am. I mean 'I have no ****ing chance' kinda out-of-my-league. I've played a LOT of people who are better than I am; friends, rivals, assholes who have nothing better to do than sandbag, but when I play Sm4sh, I'm not expecting to get so angry I want to just turn it off and call it a night.

Unfortunately, this is the case more often than not.

Now, to reveal a bit more about me to make my perspective a bit clearer, I'm extremely self-conscious, even in friendly games. I try to make sure I do good enough to not only entertain me, but to entertain my opponent as well, even if I lose, because it makes me feel a bit better about myself when I lose during a good match. I've tried my absolute hardest to get better at Sm4sh, but...it doesn't work for me. Sure, I can enjoy a friendly game or two with someone I know, but there's always this lurking feeling of 'You're not good enough, you filthy casual.'

To actually get to what exactly made me want to post here, I played almost 30 straight rounds of nonstop humiliation, desperately hoping there was that one oddball I could enjoy. Spoiler alert, he/she never showed up. I wasted almost 2 hours of my life playing on a game I'm trying my hardest to genuinely enjoy, only to have to deal with something like that; to make matters worse, I go to For Fun, and there's THE SAME ****ING PEOPLE. I couldn't escape it, and it was at that point that I decided to just turn it off and stop playing for a while. I don't like Online mode anymore, and it's not only because of this. I've been dealing with this for quite a while now, and it gets old on day 1. It frustrates me to no end because I KNOW there's a good game to be had, and all I have to do is look, but so far, I haven't found ****.

That is my story. Apologies for the amount of expletives within my post.

bur

Smash Cadet
NNID
c13fairy
As a scrublord who has never been part of the smash community before, I've come to enjoy playing Smash Bros. as a casual game, at least for a little while. When that while came to pass, though, I became super into competitive smash while still keeping my jovial and bantering personality, so that I don't completely devolve into a blubbering mess whenever I lose a game. That's a little bit of a problem for me; I usually take things too seriously, even when I don't actually show it. It tears me up inside when I lose and it's especially noticeable when I play For Glory, specifically against people who are better than I am.

Now, hear me out here. I'm not saying I'm pissy because of lack of skill; I know I suck at smash, and I'm trying to get better. What irks me the most and completely takes the wind out of my sails in smash is when I go up against a string of people in a row who are multitudes better than I am. I mean 'I have no ****ing chance' kinda out-of-my-league. I've played a LOT of people who are better than I am; friends, rivals, ******** who have nothing better to do than sandbag, but when I play Sm4sh, I'm not expecting to get so angry I want to just turn it off and call it a night.

Now, to reveal a bit more about me to make my perspective a bit clearer, I'm extremely self-conscious, even in friendly games. I try to make sure I do good enough to not only entertain me, but to entertain my opponent as well, even if I lose, because it makes me feel a bit better about myself when I lose during a good match. I've tried my absolute hardest to get better at Sm4sh, but...it doesn't work for me. Sure, I can enjoy a friendly game or two with someone I know, but there's always this lurking feeling of 'You're not good enough, you filthy casual.'

To actually get to what exactly made me want to post here, I played almost 30 straight rounds of nonstop humiliation, desperately hoping there was that one oddball I could enjoy. Spoiler alert, he/she never showed up. I wasted almost 2 hours of my life playing on a game I'm trying my hardest to genuinely enjoy, only to have to deal with something like that; to make matters worse, I go to For Fun, and there's THE SAME ****ING PEOPLE. I couldn't escape it, and it was at that point that I decided to just turn it off and stop playing for a while. I don't like Online mode anymore, and it's not only because of this. I've been dealing with this for quite a while now, and it gets old on day 1. It frustrates me to no end because I KNOW there's a good game to be had, and all I have to do is look, but so far, I haven't found ****.

Sounds to me like you need to start playing people on your friends list, in which you can contact after the match.
It's really helpful to get some advice on what you were doing wrong cause that way you know what to work on !
I'm not saying i'm amazing at the game but, feel free to add me and i'll do my best to try to help you out.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Learn to roll less extremely less.
In stead perfect shield and spot dodge.

And empty hop.

Will make you miles better quick.
Also pick 1 char you like and stick with them for a few weeks.

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
My win rate back in january was at around a solid 40%. As of now and after experiencing two tourneys I managed to get it up to 66.50% in close to 5000 matches in 1v1, It can get frustrating, especially after each win barely gives you 0.01% but if you keep at it you will improve greatly, not to mention FG matchmaking is based on winrate, so you get better players as you go up! It is great in a way!.

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

Now, hear me out here. I'm not saying I'm pissy because of lack of skill; I know I suck at smash, and I'm trying to get better. What irks me the most and completely takes the wind out of my sails in smash is when I go up against a string of people in a row who are multitudes better than I am. I mean 'I have no ****ing chance' kinda out-of-my-league. I've played a LOT of people who are better than I am; friends, rivals, ******** who have nothing better to do than sandbag, but when I play Sm4sh, I'm not expecting to get so angry I want to just turn it off and call it a night.

Bro if you wanna get upset about anything about this game the last thing it should be is People on for glory...litreally its Scrub Central...they are few actually fun skillful players but most are spam noobs or turn into spam noobs when you wreck em.
I wrecked this guy with DDD i dont even use the Gordos as much as i have seen other DDD players use em.
He switches to duck hunt and just sits in the corner doing you know what the whole game...
Next guy i face is a link thats doing you know what the whole game...
Its getting to much...and then there the sonic players....i wish he never came back..
Alot of the newcomers in this game are frigging spammers and annoying to face...wish they were never added...

Riuvee

Smash Cadet
NNID
RiuAuraeon
3DS FC
4296-3444-5420
Bro if you wanna get upset about anything about this game the last thing it should be is People on for glory...litreally its Scrub Central...they are few actually fun skillful players but most are spam noobs or turn into spam noobs when you wreck em.
Yeah, this was my main gripe with FG. It's been keeping me down when I find players that use the same common characters, using the same scrub tactics. Though recently, I met this really great player in For Glory. Both of us had a ton of fun, and became pals during, it was pretty a dang awesome moment of my Smash Life. Even so, these are often far and wide.

My rate is roughly 55%, though honestly, I don't really care in the end. I tend to be a good sport there - Not attacking during lag, for example. (I'm too nice sometimes...) Enjoying the game and learning from my screw-ups is my primary intent. However, it's disheartening when I always see only a one-trick pony Link or Ness, and occasionally the Macs that spam Smashes and rush in without the thought of consequence......or worse...

:GCR: + :GCB:

I still find this hilarious, oddly enough.

I simply want the tournament mode (no lagging) just a better competition sense mode than FG. FG is more of an practice room. I do hate spammers and trolls on the FG however. I hope tournament mode update could fix this issue.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
FG is more of an practice room.
Worst practice room ever. I don't like For Glory, but I play it anyway because I'm fighting people and I think it actually might be better than Level 9 CPUs or Amiibos. But I usually encounter either people I can't win against, or people who have no idea what they are doing. I beat this one person 10 times in a row because he spammed his specials (He tried camping with a rushdown character.). And another time I couldn't win against this Little Mac because he was a much better player than I was.

EDIT: I decided to try For Glory again and came across a Lucina who was tons better than I was first try. I only KOed her twice, first time was pure luck (nailed her with a Mega Upper), the second time she screwed up her edge guarding (so I guess that doesn't count).

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Link is by far the most annoying and noob..char...
The hitbox on his DAir is beyond a joke..
I hit his head and got hurt...by his sword...

Riuvee

Smash Cadet
NNID
RiuAuraeon
3DS FC
4296-3444-5420
Link is by far the most annoying and noob..char...
The hitbox on his DAir is beyond a joke..
I hit his head and got hurt...by his sword...
......This exact same thing happened when I played Brawl as Link. I was just as surprised as the poor guy who got hit above it. But seriously, was this always a thing with Link? Did this happen in Melee & 64 as well?

Swampertrulz

Smash Lord
NNID
Swampertrulz
3DS FC
3883-9003-2472
I almost raged over my Record in FG but then I calmed down and realized that this is just a FUN game that wasn't ment to be taken seriously. People that do take it seriously need to calm the hell down.

ThePuffDaddy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
flashman69
IDK when the 3DS version first came out I always lost and got mad on FG. But since then I stopped playing it and solely played with friends mode and locally at tourneys. I eventually started to improve exponentially over time and I started playing fg again recently and rarely lose.

phantom man

Smash Journeyman
Where do I ****ing start yeesh.
I haven't had a single good match against :4bowserjr::4darkpit::4duckhunt::4tlink::4link::4lucario::4pikachu: :4littlemac:not to mention how every game is laggy even with my good connection.
:4tlink::4link: Have made me nearly break my ds because in lag they are literally untouchable
:4bowserjr:Spam cannonball and car because invincible in lag
:4duckhunt:Self explanitory
:4darkpit:Side B all day long

In all I think i have become a worse player due to for glory because I'm on the brink of insanity. Thanks nintendo! Also, somehow between losing to random things I keep a 50% win rate somehow.
I see people raging against Dark pit's side b all the time. What you have to do is shield grab, it's pretty easy. In the air.....uhhh well I know if your playing as Sonic a Nair will work, Just letting Sonic mains know.

Huh, I did forgot to clarify FG is possibly the worst practice room to pick from. Still, the win rate is not all that important, it is the matter of having fun, only if the players acting politely.

For me, the spammer I find the most annoying would be the only keep rolling, and the worst part is the lagging, making some punishable moments become their advantages. Thus, I could have a way higher win rate. After all, the win rate has little validity in individual's performance whatsoever.

Last edited:

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
My win:lose ratio is 72:22.
Stuff happens sometimes :psycho:

FG is either:
Some player who is miles below my skill level
Some player who is miles above my skill level
Just right (very rare)

How does the matching system work anyways?

Last edited:

KaMeG

Smash Rookie
NNID
houseofkwong
For Glory is a decent practice room when you can't find anyone else to play. Complaints...

Is the matching always based around win rate? I'm around 55% and end up against people FAR out of my league (in both directions). Main complaint is dealing with lag, against people who will just pull out all the scrub tactics rather than wait it out so we can both have an enjoyable gaming experience.

TheUnknownMartin

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nixtram
3DS FC
0001-3368-2017
Worst practice room ever. I don't like For Glory, but I play it anyway because I'm fighting people and I think it actually might be better than Level 9 CPUs or Amiibos. But I usually encounter either people I can't win against, or people who have no idea what they are doing. I beat this one person 10 times in a row because he spammed his specials (He tried camping with a rushdown character.). And another time I couldn't win against this Little Mac because he was a much better player than I was.

EDIT: I decided to try For Glory again and came across a Lucina who was tons better than I was first try. I only KOed her twice, first time was pure luck (nailed her with a Mega Upper), the second time she screwed up her edge guarding (so I guess that doesn't count).
Besides the "who was tons better than I was," it sounds a bit like me... (just putting that out there because)

Anyway, I'm starting to rage too often in for glory to the point where I hit everything in sight and even hurt my own self (like hitting my head on the wall.) It's probably my fault for not being patient and cool minded like most people, but I digress. I'm not sure how I can cool down. I try having a mind set of improving than winner, but I still, when I lose 3 times, my mind starts to become "I MUST WINZ NOW< IF I DON'T ASFjasdhfajskf" Yeah, that...

But in friendlies, I have fun, oddly. Why is that? I still don't know the people, yet when I play with them, I'm actually having a blast and leaning, rather than glory.

Sane.

Smash Cadet
Playing on bad wifi and my play style is based on reaction and spacing.... worst time of my life but no one competitive to play with locally anymore.

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
Playing on bad wifi and my play style is based on reaction and spacing.... worst time of my life but no one competitive to play with locally anymore.
Characters that require precision: R.I.P.

But your signature is really nice. It's really creative!

It is glad that many of us are on the same line here. I want to clarify the importance of non lagging in this mode, the game would become frustrating if the game is not play fair on both side. Yet, the worst part is some people taking this as advantage and acting like some jerks. Thus, the for glory may known as for salt/frustration.

LMarucha

Smash Rookie
NNID
LMarucha
My win rate started at around 60% to 62% and then dropped to 56%. I can't seem to get it any higher. Offline I do fine but online I mess up. A lot. Lag is even worse, not because of the slowdown but because it gets to me and end up doing really bad mistakes. Help to combat FG nerves would be very greatfull, to be honest.

I noticed that switching to a different player or taking a break after a loss helps out, though. If I keep going against a player that beat me on the first match I then end up playing worse. XD

Also, not sure if this is the right forum to post this comment. I'm new here, I don't usually make an account to participate in forums, etc.

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
You're not learning from it?

How do you play?

Last edited by a moderator:

ElectricBlade

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haruhisuzumia
3DS FC
1203-9228-7596

How do you play?
Sorry for that post before XD I've just had a bad day in life and for some reason I decided to vent here..I learn from my battles. In fact quite alot just sometimes I become completly blind to everything. Im gonna take that post down

ElectricBlade

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haruhisuzumia
3DS FC
1203-9228-7596

How do you play?
Sorry u.u had a pretty bad day and decided to take it out here for some reason XD I learn from my battles I just felt like ive felt no progression for some reason today.Im asking a mod to take this post down now..

Hirashi_Dragon

Smash Rookie
Oh boy. I registered in this forum exactly to ask for advice on SSB3DS (so nice to meet you all).

Let's see... My win ratio is below 15% and my top was around 20%, so I guess I can say I do suck badly at Smash, especially For Glory. I was suggested to play using aerial combat (which I didn't do because I tend to get my controls wrong) and my most recent losses were exactly because of that - I don't time my recovery correctly and I lose the life. Moreover I tend to get overwhelmed by other fighters who tend to act and attack faster (and my character, Lucina, isn't exactly slow). And I'm pretty sure it's not just a bad day, I can't even win against the CPU at high levels (Classic Mode's Master/Crazy Hand is impossible at level 6, and I tried to beat All-Star Mode with Lucina at Normal and I lose).

It's really frustrating to lose this much. I tried to learn how to do short hops so I could do aerial attacks at low heights, and when I manage to pull it off I don't even nibble my opponent. I tried to do aerial combat only to fall off the stage. I tried to learn I shouldn't do smash attacks all the time and... well it did improve my tech, but that's about it.

Help?
Switch your main

RedMoon2546

Smash Cadet
NNID
omi
:4littlemac:: I just beat them using mainly ranged attacks and grabs. dodge rolls and counters are easy to punish.
:4link:: reflectors and plenty of pressure. they dodge roll a lot too.
:4charizard:/:4ness:/:4lucas:: some projectiles actually stop flare blitz/pk thunder, and once their of the stage they're either dead or punishable.
:4darkpit:/:4pit:: shield grabs.
:4robinm:/:4lucario:/:4samus:: all they do is dodge roll, so use pivot grabs, backsmashes, bair's,ect

SohirToZoriGo

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0602-7044-7081
Lately for me, for glory has kind of been...How can i put it? Not fun, in fact I dare say it kind of has been demoralizing me from getting competitive at smash bros. Every for glory match goes like this, I always do my best and try hard to learn new things. But the enemy will always win through the cheapest tactics they can find, which is odd since not many can view your stats. I haven't had a good match against a random for glory player in a while. It had gotten so bad that I wanted to get to meet real players, who are out to better themselves with actual fair fighting.

For glory has done something very very bad to me, however. After I lose once, I get demoralized and I pretty much assume I'm doomed. I don't know what happened, but every for glory match feels like a test of my tolerance for the game now. I got bored of lone play, without my brother or many of my friends I had no one really to have "fun with." Aside from those I've met on the smash boards thus far, but I really REALLY get depressed, and start to hate myself. One loss turns into 2, those 2 turn into 3. And if I get a 4th, It is lucky If I pick the game up in less than a week. I don't know why this game takes all confidence I have in myself, but at this point I basically have only one thought in my head. "I'm the worst smash player imaginable." And I really, get bummed out not wanting to touch the game after that starts boiling in my brain. Because no matter what I do, no matter how hard I practice. I'll always have that one thought pestering me.

Some would say I'm a sore loser, some would say I just don't have the patience to memorize patterns from the enemies, and some can just shut their ****ing mouths for assumptions.

Silxer

Smash Apprentice
:4littlemac:: I just beat them using mainly ranged attacks and grabs. dodge rolls and counters are easy to punish.
:4link:: reflectors and plenty of pressure. they dodge roll a lot too.
:4charizard:/:4ness:/:4lucas:: some projectiles actually stop flare blitz/pk thunder, and once their of the stage they're either dead or punishable.
:4darkpit:/:4pit:: shield grabs.
:4robinm:/:4lucario:/:4samus:: all they do is dodge roll, so use pivot grabs, backsmashes, bair's,ect
Wait, there's still people who spam Side-B as Pit/Dark Pit? I haven't seen people do that nowadays (due to how easy it is to counter it), let alone Pit players in general... and I've never seen a Robin player who just spams specials either (though I don't encounter Robin players too often as well).

Maybe it's just me...

Last edited:

★Malik★™

Smash Ace
My win rate is +-74% in FG with 6000+ matches (as of 6 days ago, I posted these some where else and these were the numbers then.) Only thing I lose to is out of shield plays. That's it. Freakin' zero shield stun.

I personally love the hell out of this game when me and my opponents are at each other's neck. That's when I believe the game is the most fun (aside from playing with Villager's quirkiness). But I hate the hell out of this game when I run into a player who camps, spams, flees, and hide in their shields the entire match just to only get damage off by shield grabbing, it becomes more of a headache, and ultimately, boring and even a stupid game. Even playing with items is much more fun than what you might find in For Glory. But hey, that's For Glory for ya': a pseudo competitive mode ruled by cheap antics.

jet56

Smash Journeyman
my rate is 60% over 1200 matches, but i don't have it higher cause i don't farm easy wins. lag is a problem, but negligible for me sometimes (however sometimes i react on time, but the lag reads the imput late). i have problems against shield stun as well, and being a mac player, its even more of an annoyance. shield grabbing is very easy to pull off, and i have to play a slow, defensive mac over my pressure mac. if they ever increase shield stun lag on the game even 5 frames, i will be sooooooo happy.

Tonetta

Smash Apprentice
i have around a 70% w/l on FG but it's simply not fun to play. Not only is it FD every time which is super boring, but then you get the spammers who abuse FD and then you get the **** talkers who think it's ok to give you **** about your race/gender and honestly it's just a toxic environment.

FerventFlames

Smash Rookie
I wish I didn't have to play For Glory, but It's just about the only thing to do in smash 4. I can't play with friends online because they aren't as interested in smash as I am and I can't play with my siblings because I don't feel challenged enough. So, when I try For Glory out, I am looking for an even match but what I get is a match filled with projectile spamming, constant shielding, dodging, and grabbing. Don't get me wrong I do get some great matches but it's about every 1/10 times.

Oh well, I'll just try to get my friends more into it.

SPAZ494

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4511-0835-8425
I wish I didn't have to play For Glory, but It's just about the only thing to do in smash 4. I can't play with friends online because they aren't as interested in smash as I am and I can't play with my siblings because I don't feel challenged enough. So, when I try For Glory out, I am looking for an even match but what I get is a match filled with projectile spamming, constant shielding, dodging, and grabbing. Don't get me wrong I do get some great matches but it's about every 1/10 times.

Oh well, I'll just try to get my friends more into it.
Go to the friend code sharing thread or nintendo id sharing thread and find people who will play online with you. There's lots of people who are good and can actually give a good match and help you improve.

Last edited:

FerventFlames

Smash Rookie
Go to the friend code sharing thread or nintendo id sharing thread and find people who will play online with you. There's lots of people who are good and can actually give a good match and help you improve.
Alright, Thanks for the advice :)

Top Bottom