• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Oh, joy. Just when I said I have yet to encounter any of the Mechonis trophies, I end up getting one of them from the shop called Bronze Face. How significant is this one? I'll take yes or no as an answer.

Last edited:

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
It's not that great of an attack, it, however, is one of the few options Robin has to recover on the stage. If you time it correctly, the two hits will position the person below you away enough for you to recover. The biggest issue is mainly that bait jabs affects your recovery which is honestly a pretty big downside for the speed of Robin.

I actually feel it would help Robin because you'd be able to do a few things:

1. Bait jab as much as you wish.
2. Bait jab as much as you wish without affecting your recovery.
3. Off game a bit better as with combined with the previous things, never run out of recovery. Especially so when you are having issues getting back on stage.
4. Being able to keep Arc Fire pressure up as defense and offense.
5. Being able to recovery Arc Fire off stage without worry it's out.
6. Always access to Levin Sword combined with the pressure of Arc Fire is a significant buff.

In actuality, Levin Sword and Arc Thunder (and all variants) really don't matter to me if it's kept the way it is, but I feel as if Arc Fire (and variants) and especially Elwind (and variants) should not be limited and would in turn buff the character considerably.
Bait jab with wind is still not that good because your opponent can just di away from it before the last hit leaving you wide open for a punish. You can still bait jab with fire as long as you delay each attack and it is by far, the better of the two jabs. The recovery situation you described with Elwind either 1) goes under spiking which I already acknowledged as the one offensive advantage to using Elwind or 2) means you're recovering high which Robin does not excel at and is just asking for more punishment unless its at a stage like battlefield. Infinite Elwind really would not buff Robin much, if at all.

Infinite Arcfire, on the other hand, I will grant you since that move is awesome and versatile. But even then, however, Infinite Arcfire will not save you from characters like :4sheik: and :4diddy:, who can give a flying monkey about arcfire. If you wanted to buff Robin in a way that compliments her defensive style and compensates for her speed, than improving her grab speed and range while also giving her Mario bros/Diddy tier dthrow and Ness tier bthrow, would probably be the better route to take.

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
In reference to Kotor's post (because I'm not quoting it because LALALA NOT RISKING SPOILERS):

So I get why Nintendo was more loose with spoiling Mother 3 since it never made it here, but Xenoblade, a game that is not only recent as of SSB4 but had a 3DS port on the way when SSB4 came out?

Elezir

Ultimate Momma :v
In reference to Kotor's post (because I'm not quoting it because LALALA NOT RISKING SPOILERS):

So I get why Nintendo was more loose with spoiling Mother 3 since it never made it here, but Xenoblade, a game that is not only recent as of SSB4 but had a 3DS port on the way when SSB4 came out?
To be honest, I don't think the fact that Mother 3 was never released in the West has anything to do with it :v
As far as I know, the Japanese version of Brawl is probably the same as the English one, so it's just Sakurai not bothering himself in hiding spoilers, I think.
Maybe they think it will make people more interested in said game(Granted, maybe it did), I dunno. I still think it's kinda dumb. At least have some kind of warning for Spoilers.

Bait jab with wind is still not that good because your opponent can just di away from it before the last hit leaving you wide open for a punish. You can still bait jab with fire as long as you delay each attack and it is by far, the better of the two jabs. The recovery situation you described with Elwind either 1) goes under spiking which I already acknowledged as the one offensive advantage to using Elwind or 2) means you're recovering high which Robin does not excel at and is just asking for more punishment unless its at a stage like battlefield. Infinite Elwind really would not buff Robin much, if at all.

Infinite Arcfire, on the other hand, I will grant you since that move is awesome and versatile. But even then, however, Infinite Arcfire will not save you from characters like :4sheik: and :4diddy:, who can give a flying monkey about arcfire. If you wanted to buff Robin in a way that compliments her defensive style and compensates for her speed, than improving her grab speed and range while also giving her Mario bros/Diddy tier dthrow and Ness tier bthrow, would probably be the better route to take.
If Arcfire was infinite, it would be so spammable in matches:troll: Heck, even limited it's pretty much the bread and butter of Robin.
It would make people angry, I'm sure of that.

Last edited:

Coolpool2

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1048-8836-5328
Oh, joy. Just when I said I have yet to encounter any of the Mechonis trophies, I end up getting one of them from the shop called Bronze Face. How significant is this one? I'll take yes or no as an answer.
The description has some pretty major plot spoilers so I wouldn't read it if I were you.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Sheik being able to transform into Zelda and back in two games says all you need to know about how much they care about giving away spoilers in Smash.

Last edited:

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Not super significant really. That's actually the least significant out of all the Mechonis trophies, along with Metal Face's description. Everything else can be rather spoilerish from my recollection. But Bronze Face's description does contain some minor spoilers I believe.
Also, @ Shaymikyu Shaymikyu . I freaking LOVE your new avatar! ^o^ :happysheep:

Shaymikyu

To be honest, I don't think the fact that Mother 3 was never released in the West has anything to do with it :v
As far as I know, the Japanese version of Brawl is probably the same as the English one, so it's just Sakurai not bothering himself in hiding spoilers, I think.
Maybe they think it will make people more interested in said game(Granted, maybe it did), I dunno. I still think it's kinda dumb. At least have some kind of warning for Spoilers.

If Arcfire was infinite, it would be so spammable in matches:troll: Heck, even limited it's pretty much the bread and butter of Robin.
It would make people angry, I'm sure of that.
Wouldn't the game be two years old by the time Brawl came out though?

Oh well, true. They spoiled Sheik in Melee as well.
Not super significant really. That's actually the least significant out of all the Mechonis trophies, along with Metal Face's description. Everything else can be rather spoilerish from my recollection. But Bronze Face's description does contain some minor spoilers I believe.
Also, @ Shaymikyu Shaymikyu . I freaking LOVE your new avatar! ^o^ :happysheep:
Thank you! I just had to after all the Riki talk here. Now I want try and get the New 3DS for sure in time for Xenoblade so I can finally play it. I've been wanting to since Shulk's reveal trailer endeared him and everything else it featured to me.

Elezir

Ultimate Momma :v
Sheik being able to transform into Zelda and back in two games says all you need to know about how much they care about giving away spoilers in Smash.
Wouldn't the game be two years old by the time Brawl came out though?

Oh well, true. They spoiled Sheik in Melee as well.
And don't forget about the major example of this Smash: Lucina, and FE:A is barely 3 years old.
Honestly, she's just a big walking spoiler. I'm sure the reveal of her being Chrom's daughter from the future was supposed to be one of the biggest surprises in the game.
But alas.
No, I won't put in a spoiler. The trailer of her reveal didn't.:cheep:

D

Deleted member

In my personal experience, I've found that bait jab is actually pretty effective despite being able to DI out of it. You also cannot DI out of it always since the range is significant, that mainly only happens when you miss the timing, but even still you can stop/roll to count that which I've done on occasion. I also find I've managed to setup a lot purely with the jab due to them being in the air, it gives me a few options. 1. being able to charge laser, 2. setting up arc fire or aerial arc fire, or in the smallest scenario, setting up Levin Sword. It doesn't have to be the best technique, it's just one of the options Robin has and I personally feel it's a pretty decent option against rush-down characters.

Infinite Elwind will buff Robin because it means you can off air as much as you want like all of the other characters. It may sound situational, but in the situational situation this happens, it benefits. It also lets you use the move more as an attack or well, spike, without worry, especially for instance if you miss a spike and the match returns to the arena then proceeds off-air again. This stuff adds up over time. Using Up B as a recovery for on stage, or on stage move is very, very, situational, but once again it's a option Robin has and it starts becoming less of a option with the recovery the more you delve into competitive matches.People can air dodge it, and air dodge it twice, but in my experience it's great for mindgames.

The key is that all of these combined together in my opinion really buff the character as a whole giving more options instead of being just purely buffing the character.

Diddy and Sheik can (as well as characters like Captain Falcon and others) easily handle Arc Fire, but the point is not that a character can handle Arc Fire is that since you run out of Arc Fire, it ends up affecting you seconds later in the match. I also feel that even though they can hop right over it, there are many ways to position Arc Fire so that it doesn't happen that easily. Arc Fire is really a mind game tool when it comes down to it and, depending on the user, can mean victory or defeat for Robin.

Buffing his/her throw will help, but at the same time, Robin lacks speed to grab as potently as rush-down characters tend to do. Still would be a nice option and would buff him/her, but I personally find the main mechanic of Robin is actually the downside of him/her overall.

Still I would love to have his/her grab buff along with some of the things I've suggested. My idea won't happen in terms of the official game, but as far as predicting what Sakurai and team might do, it would be nice if they buffed the throw and perhaps extended tome usage by 2-3.

Last edited by a moderator:

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Thank you! I just had to after all the Riki talk here. Now I want try and get the New 3DS for sure in time for Xenoblade so I can finally play it. I've been wanting to since Shulk's reveal trailer endeared him and everything else it featured to me.
Your very welcome, m'lady. ^_^ Haha, that's very understandable. XD Well if I wasn't selling an extra New 3DS XL that I was have, I'd give it to you for free but alas, I need the money. :p I mean you could buy it off of me if you'd like, it's brand new and everything but I'm sure you'd just get one from where you live. Probably easier that way as well and less of a hassle lol XD Hopefully you can get one before it's released next month. :3 I promise that you won't regret playing Xenoblade Chronicles, that's for bloody sure. :)

Shaymikyu

Your very welcome, m'lady. ^_^ Haha, that's very understandable. XD Well if I wasn't selling an extra New 3DS XL that I was have, I'd give it to you for free but alas, I need the money. :p I mean you could buy it off of me if you'd like, it's brand new and everything but I'm sure you'd just get one from where you live. Probably easier that way as well and less of a hassle lol XD Hopefully you can get one before it's released next month. :3 I promise that you won't regret playing Xenoblade Chronicles, that's for bloody sure. :)
I'd buy it, but you're right. It's easier to get it just locally. Good luck selling, though!:)

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I really really really really really REALLY want to play Xenoblade Chronicles, but i'm not willing to buy a new 3DS and the game is really hard to find, specially here in México. I think i'll just have to watch a let's play, and try to really feel it :4shulk:

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
The description has some pretty major plot spoilers so I wouldn't read it if I were you.
Either way, don't bother reading it. Just like the Brawl days with the Mother series except this time I'm interested in Xenoblade.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Amongst other things, I.O.U. one St. Patrick's day avi.

Itty bitty INPO.

The Shulk Social is pretty cool. You all pretty much give off the same kinda vibe, at least to me (which is a good thing).
Shulk social gives off this same vibe? I may have to sneak over.

EDIT: You all made me want to get a Riki avatar even though I haven't played the game yet. Don't worry- I didn't see any spoilers unless "Riki exists and is adorable" is a spoiler.
That's totally a spoiler.

The new avi is phenomenal(ly cute), kudos.

Oh god, the avi. I can't stop laughing.

Shaymikyu

Amongst other things, I.O.U. one St. Patrick's day avi.

Itty bitty INPO.

Shulk social gives off this same vibe? I may have to sneak over.

That's totally a spoiler.

The new avi is phenomenal(ly cute), kudos.

Oh god, the avi. I can't stop laughing.
My avvie is a huge spoiler, I know. The final battle is won by Riki tossing food at the final boss.

And thanks.

EDIT: I know that when I actually get to the end of Xenoblade, I'm going to look back on this post and cringe. Presumably.

Last edited:

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
In my personal experience, I've found that bait jab is actually pretty effective despite being able to DI out of it. You also cannot DI out of it always since the range is significant, that mainly only happens when you miss the timing, but even still you can stop/roll to count that which I've done on occasion. I also find I've managed to setup a lot purely with the jab due to them being in the air, it gives me a few options. 1. being able to charge laser, 2. setting up arc fire or aerial arc fire, or in the smallest scenario, setting up Levin Sword. It doesn't have to be the best technique, it's just one of the options Robin has and I personally feel it's a pretty decent option against rush-down characters.

Infinite Elwind will buff Robin because it means you can off air as much as you want like all of the other characters. It may sound situational, but in the situational situation this happens, it benefits. It also lets you use the move more as an attack or well, spike, without worry, especially for instance if you miss a spike and the match returns to the arena then proceeds off-air again. This stuff adds up over time. Using Up B as a recovery for on stage, or on stage move is very, very, situational, but once again it's a option Robin has and it starts becoming less of a option with the recovery the more you delve into competitive matches.People can air dodge it, and air dodge it twice, but in my experience it's great for mindgames.

The key is that all of these combined together in my opinion really buff the character as a whole giving more options instead of being just purely buffing the character.

Diddy and Sheik can (as well as characters like Captain Falcon and others) easily handle Arc Fire, but the point is not that a character can handle Arc Fire is that since you run out of Arc Fire, it ends up affecting you seconds later in the match. I also feel that even though they can hop right over it, there are many ways to position Arc Fire so that it doesn't happen that easily. Arc Fire is really a mind game tool when it comes down to it and, depending on the user, can mean victory or defeat for Robin.

Buffing his/her throw will help, but at the same time, Robin lacks speed to grab as potently as rush-down characters tend to do. Still would be a nice option and would buff him/her, but I personally find the main mechanic of Robin is actually the downside of him/her overall.

Still I would love to have his/her grab buff along with some of the things I've suggested. My idea won't happen in terms of the official game, but as far as predicting what Sakurai and team might do, it would be nice if they buffed the throw and perhaps extended tome usage by 2-3.
Before I go to my last response, let me clarify that I do appreciate your well thought out responses although I disagree with them.

What I am essentially saying is that your proposal to change Robin's unique main mechanic, even if its only for two moves, will not buff her significantly in relation to the already preexisting strength of other characters. Giving her infinite Elwind might give her more options. They may even help in very specific situations. Sure. But that is hardly a gamebreaking change that you will net you much mileage. As many other tacticians already pointed out above, Elwind's recovery charge time is so fast that it is an nonissue. I even just watched a video with @Raziek just now who is trying to incorporate Elwind into his game more. And not once was his recovery or even his offstage game ever affected. Again, you mention how limited Elwind will impact competitive game but again I have never seen ever be a problem in competitive play. Furthermore, giving her infinite Elwind will ironically not substantially buff her recovery because the problem with Elwind as a recovery is not its usage: the problem lies in the fact that its easy to gimp if your opponent knows what they're doing. You will not see Robin jump a whole tier just because of access to infinite Elwind.

As I said in my first response, changing the limited tome mechanic does not address her key flaws. Robin usually does not lose because of a missing tome. She loses because of every other reason such as not dealing with pressure properly. Although infinite Arcfire might help, it will mean little against characters who won't give you room to breath and the space to cast it in the first place. I am not doubting the prowess of Arcfire or its potent use as a mindgame tool. But the fact of the matter is that many of the characters that Robin struggle against have consistent ways to deal with Arcfire and the fact you have to rely heavily Arcfire as a mindgame against them proves that.

Furthermore, by giving Arcfire infinite uses you take away some of the creative ways people can use the resource management to their advantage. For example, if I see I only have one use of fire left and if I can do it safely, I will deliberately waste it and grab the tome immediately. This way, I can both have more use of Arcfire for when I need it and have access to a great, fast kill and punishing tool. Sometimes I even mindgame my opponent with a held tome long enough for Arcfire to replenish anyways. I have won many matches specifically because of a discarded fire tome.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Ever since I beat Classic 9.0 and mentioned I never got any of the Mechonis trophies, they've been appearing in the shop nonstop. I ended up gaining two more: Face Nemesis and Jade Face.

Shaymikyu

Ever since I beat Classic 9.0 and mentioned I never got any of the Mechonis trophies, they've been appearing in the shop nonstop. I ended up gaining two more: Face Nemesis and Jade Face.
The game clearly knows you want to remained unspoiled* and is trolling you.

I've somehow avoided Xenoblade trophies completely, even seeing them, aside from Shulk (duh), Dunban, Riki, and Melia (assuming she's not a spoiler in appearance, right?).

*I'm assuming, since unlike Mother, you are interested in Xenoblade?

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
The game clearly knows you want to remained unspoiled* and is trolling you.

I've somehow avoided Xenoblade trophies completely, even seeing them, aside from Shulk (duh), Dunban, Riki, and Melia (assuming she's not a spoiler in appearance, right?).

*I'm assuming, since unlike Mother, you are interested in Xenoblade?
Yes I am. I used to watch Chuggaaconroy's LP of Xenoblade thinking I would never play the game and wanted to see what it was like but I stopped watching not because I wanted to avoid spoilers, but out of boredom. I'm no longer interested in watching LPs like I used to. I don't even remember getting to the part where Shulk gets the Monado.

Shaymikyu

I know the feeling. In high school, I loved watching LPs, but now it's so hard for me to get into them because I'd rather just play the game half the time.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
Somehow I always check this thread when you guys are talking about Xenoblade lol
Just as a warning, those two are extreme spoiler trophies so do noooottttt look at them
Nope! Melia is just nice, spoiler-free Melia. I'd recommend not checking anybodies trophy though because I can't remember if seemingly spoiler free ones still spoil anything; I feel like some of them might.

Last edited:

Shaymikyu

Somehow I always check this thread when you guys are talking about Xenoblade lol

Just as a warning, those two are extreme spoiler trophies so do noooottttt look at them

Nope! Melia is just nice, spoiler-free Melia. I'd recommend not checking anybodies trophy though because I can't remember if seemingly spoiler free ones still spoil anything; I feel like some of them might.
Thanks for the head's up. I figured reading them would be bad anyway, but I wanted to make sure visually I wasn't ruined. I figured not, since I've seen lots of pictures of Melia floating around before.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
Thanks for the head's up. I figured reading them would be bad anyway, but I wanted to make sure visually I wasn't ruined. I figured not, since I've seen lots of pictures of Melia floating around before.
Melia seems to be one of the most popular characters so it makes sense you've seen tons of pictures of her~

Sadly, the biggest spoiler character also has a lot of pictures of them floating around :// Oh well. You've gotta be reaaaaaally careful with Xenoblade spoilers

Shaymikyu

Melia seems to be one of the most popular characters so it makes sense you've seen tons of pictures of her~

Sadly, the biggest spoiler character also has a lot of pictures of them floating around :// Oh well. You've gotta be reaaaaaally careful with Xenoblade spoilers
If I've seen said character, I didn't realize it. I haven't gone looking for Xenoblade pictures for that reason. I know the picture I got my avatar from has what I'm guessing is Shulk's party in it? Shulk, Dunban, Riki, Melia, the guy from the 3DS trailer, and two other girls. I'm guessing that's not a spoiler, is it? Well, if it is, I have no clue what's spoilery about it, so I guess I'm still unspoiled?:crazy:

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
If I've seen said character, I didn't realize it. I haven't gone looking for Xenoblade pictures for that reason. I know the picture I got my avatar from has what I'm guessing is Shulk's party in it? Shulk, Dunban, Riki, Melia, the guy from the 3DS trailer, and two other girls. I'm guessing that's not a spoiler, is it? Well, if it is, I have no clue what's spoilery about it, so I guess I'm still unspoiled?:crazy:
Uhh...alright, I'll say this. I've seen the picture before. and there is a spoiler in it. However if you didn't realize it, thank goodness.

Shaymikyu

This thread has now been taken over by Shulk.

Yes, he's in a Santa hat. I didn't want to dig too deep into searching anything to do with Shulk to avoid spoilers.
Uhh...alright, I'll say this. I've seen the picture before. and there is a spoiler in it. However if you didn't realize it, thank goodness.
I don't, and I'll probably forget it by the time I get the game anyway since the part I cropped just features characters who aren't spoilers for sure.

Last edited:

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
I have the sudden desire to do a Robin and Shulk Live S-Support Celebration but until then

Top Bottom