• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

D

Deleted member

Before I go to my last response, let me clarify that I do appreciate your well thought out responses although I disagree with them.

What I am essentially saying is that your proposal to change Robin's unique main mechanic, even if its only for two moves, will not buff her significantly in relation to the already preexisting strength of other characters. Giving her infinite Elwind might give her more options. They may even help in very specific situations. Sure. But that is hardly a gamebreaking change that you will net you much mileage. As many other tacticians already pointed out above, Elwind's recovery charge time is so fast that it is an nonissue. I even just watched a video with @Raziek just now who is trying to incorporate Elwind into his game more. And not once was his recovery or even his offstage game ever affected. Again, you mention how limited Elwind will impact competitive game but again I have never seen ever be a problem in competitive play. Furthermore, giving her infinite Elwind will ironically not substantially buff her recovery because the problem with Elwind as a recovery is not its usage: the problem lies in the fact that its easy to gimp if your opponent knows what they're doing. You will not see Robin jump a whole tier just because of access to infinite Elwind.

As I said in my first response, changing the limited tome mechanic does not address her key flaws. Robin usually does not lose because of a missing tome. She loses because of every other reason such as not dealing with pressure properly. Although infinite Arcfire might help, it will mean little against characters who won't give you room to breath and the space to cast it in the first place. I am not doubting the prowess of Arcfire or its potent use as a mindgame tool. But the fact of the matter is that many of the characters that Robin struggle against have consistent ways to deal with Arcfire and the fact you have to rely heavily Arcfire as a mindgame against them proves that.

Furthermore, by giving Arcfire infinite uses you take away some of the creative ways people can use the resource management to their advantage. For example, if I see I only have one use of fire left and if I can do it safely, I will deliberately waste it and grab the tome immediately. This way, I can both have more use of Arcfire for when I need it and have access to a great, fast kill and punishing tool. Sometimes I even mindgame my opponent with a held tome long enough for Arcfire to replenish anyways. I have won many matches specifically because of a discarded fire tome.
I actually disagree with Sakurai's intention for the character despite ending up maining the character which I'm sure will lead people to in turn disagree with that as you've done. For me, I enjoy unique traits, but in this scenario I don't enjoy it because I simply find it a hindrance as time goes on and by hindrance I don't mean as a con you fight against to get to your pros, but something I genuinely find cumbersome.

For me, the "tactician" part was more or less the diversity in elemental moves that had out of the ordinary mechanics in Super Smash Bros. history, such as: the laser being incredible in size and duration, the jab having practically an AoE, Arc Fire going down at a slant so you have to time in well and be precise for offense, but also it allowed defense with it's fire wall almost as if a trap sometimes, and even Elwind with the fact it launches two attacks downward and ranged at that, I actually feel the combination of using these bizarre attacks (for Smash Bros.) is how the tactician role should be represented.

The really only pro we receive is the book we can throw, which has actually won me a lot of matches unintentionally and I suppose I don't find enjoyment that way.

As far as Elwind bumping us up a tier, I never mentined Elwind alone would do that I feel that the removal of the tome mechanic as a whole (even if they kept laser/levin sword the way it is) would buff the character considerably. I also feel playstyles weigh into this discussion as, in my experience, Arc Fire is bread and butter whilst I play as Robin.

I'll respectfully disagree with your point of view and I also respect you wrote out all of this as well. Thank you.

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
Let's mix it up with some :4shulk: x :4robinf:!

...No, I said with :4robinf:.

No, :4robinf:.

...Is there even art of him with female Robin aside from the comic posted here already?

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Let's mix it up with some :4shulk: x :4robinf:!

...No, I said with :4robinf:.

No, :4robinf:.

...Is there even art of him with female Robin aside from the comic posted here already?
I'm sure it exists...............well possibly..............at least somewhere deep within the darkest recesses of the internet. XD

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
I went through with it. I did it with both Robins because why not.

COMING TO YOU FROM THE BOXING RING! ROBIN AND SHULK IN A LIVE S-SUPPORT CELEBRATION!

:4robinf: Edition

Shaymikyu

I went through with it. I did it with both Robins because why not.

COMING TO YOU FROM THE BOXING RING! ROBIN AND SHULK IN A LIVE S-SUPPORT CELEBRATION!

:4robinf: Edition

Crud, we already used a "really feeling it" joke...

Uh, now it's Robin time!

Last edited:

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Well I'm off to bed my fellow tacticians. May you all really feel it tonight and be 3 steps ahead in your dreams.........or something like that lol XD

And remember. :4robinm::4robinf: x:4shulk:is the official ship of the Robin Social thread. :awesome:

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
:4shulk: x :4robinm: is my broTP tho. The two of them would be doing all kinds of boy sciencey geeky **** 24/7 if left alone.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
:4shulk: x :4robinm: is my broTP tho. The two of them would be doing all kinds of boy sciencey geeky **** 24/7 if left alone.
One is a tech geek, and the other is a total bookworm, They'll get along fine. Until one of :4shulk:'s contraptions explode, taking all of :4robinm:'s tomes with it, that is.:troll:

Other than that, they'll totally be best buds.

Please tell me this wasn't posted already.
I vaguely remember seeing something like this some time ago.

Shaymikyu

Also, finally found the Shulk/Female Robin love.

I was slightly joking about shipping it, but now I kind of am starting to...
One is a tech geek, and the other is a total bookworm, They'll get along fine. Until one of :4shulk:'s contraptions explode, taking all of :4robinm:'s tomes with it, that is.:troll:

Other than that, they'll totally be best buds.

I vaguely remember seeing something like this some time ago.
Well, shoot. That's what happens when my brain is fried from finals.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!

How about Shulk x Lucina? I find it weird that there's not a lot of these two together especially since Shulk mentions changing the future in one of his victory quotes. I see Lucina and Meta Knight more. What's the connection between the two?

Shaymikyu

How about Shulk x Lucina? I find it weird that there's not a lot of these two together especially since Shulk mentions changing the future in one of his victory quotes. I see Lucina and Meta Knight more. What's the connection between the two?
It's the masks, I believe.

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
Ships? SHIPS?!
I have Ships!
Note: REALLY big picture.

What? You were all talking about ships...

Last edited:

Shaymikyu

Shipping is okay. I prefer it when it gets stuff to my house faster than me picking it up.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
The final battle is won by Riki tossing food at the final boss.
Wouldn't be the first time Nintendo did that.

You aren't gonna look back on that and cringe though. I think. I haven't a clue, I don't get to play till April.

Ships? SHIPS?!
I have Ships!
Shipping is okay. I prefer it when it gets stuff to my house faster than me picking it up.
The snark. I like it. I'm really feeling it.

That said I think ShulkxLucina actually makes an astonishing amount of sense. Guess I'm shipping it now.

Coolpool2

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1048-8836-5328
This thread has gone places while I was away... and I love it. Shulk and Robin make such a cute couple. I think their personalities would go pretty well together too.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
They should change the thread's name to something pertinent like:
"Time to tip our feelings" or "I'm really shipping it!"

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Honestly, it had all of surprises/twists in the story of Mother 3.
It was a very, very stupid idea.

Eh, Smash is already infamous for spoiling all stuff, anyway.
I'm surprised...
They didn't reveal Robin's relationship with Grima in his trophy

Eh, I suppose I shouldn't read any of the Xenoblade trophies, then.

Just go play the game already:happysheep:
That way you won't need to worry about it it anymore.
I've already finished both. :laugh:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I have a question.

Has anyone here managed to preorder the Robin Amiibo? I went to my local GameStop three times and they said it wasn't available for preorder.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
I have a question.

Has anyone here managed to preorder the Robin Amiibo? I went to my local GameStop three times and they said it wasn't available for preorder.
That's because pre-orders in North America haven't begun as of yet. You can't pre-order any Amiibo's from Wave 4 just yet, even though Europe and Japan have been able to for some time. :ohwell:

Shaymikyu

Wouldn't be the first time Nintendo did that.

You aren't gonna look back on that and cringe though. I think. I haven't a clue, I don't get to play till April.

The snark. I like it. I'm really feeling it.

That said I think ShulkxLucina actually makes an astonishing amount of sense. Guess I'm shipping it now.
I meant if the ending is something super tearjerker-y or serious, which judging by the vibe I've gotten, I'm going with yes.

Then again, some games are hard to predict what kind of ending they'll have. If it wasn't spoiled by pop culture by now, how many people would have guessed that
the cutesy-looking game with the fart jokes that barely takes itself seriously would end on one of the most nightmare-inducing bosses ever and with heartstrings-tugging to go around?
They should change the thread's name to something pertinent like:
"Time to tip our feelings" or "I'm really shipping it!"
I second "Time to tip our feelings."
"Time to PAWNCH the scales!!"
Falcon Flamingo Checkmate!

D

Deleted member

I really really really really really REALLY want to play Xenoblade Chronicles, but i'm not willing to buy a new 3DS and the game is really hard to find, specially here in México. I think i'll just have to watch a let's play, and try to really feel it :4shulk:
Watch Chuggaaconroy's. It's very informative and engaging.

Also, your icon needs to have "My b" in it.

Ever since I beat Classic 9.0 and mentioned I never got any of the Mechonis trophies, they've been appearing in the shop nonstop. I ended up gaining two more: Face Nemesis and Jade Face.
I've been getting none of the Mechonis trophies! :cry:
Do you have the trophies of the Bionis and the Mechonis? What am I doing wrong?!
Also, don't check the descriptions; MASSIVE SPOILERS ARE AHEAD!

Oh well, why not?

Holy crap! That's amazing!

I have the sudden desire to do a Robin and Shulk Live S-Support Celebration but until then
I suppose he will get his chan- no he won't.

Pfft, we all know who Morgan's true canon dad is.
I wish IS would make Captain Falcon a recruitable unit.
I don't care how nonsensical it is; it's Captain Falcon. I know you wanted to recruit him after Robin's trailer.

Lucina and Meta Knight happen often because of their masks, I suppose.
But do you want to know a good Lucina ship? Luigi X Lucina

As for :4robinm:X:4shulk:... no, just no. :4robinf:X:4shulk: this gets all of my yes, however.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
I've been getting none of the Mechonis trophies! :cry:
Do you have the trophies of the Bionis and the Mechonis? What am I doing wrong?!
Also, don't check the descriptions; MASSIVE SPOILERS ARE AHEAD!
Did you beat Classic on Intensity 9.0? Because that was when I was getting a bunch of 2500 trophies. The game was really concerned that I haven't been getting any of the Mechonis that it made it its mission to complete the set. Two more join the collection: Yaldabaoth and... and... uh... that trophy.

D

Deleted member

Did you beat Classic on Intensity 9.0? Because that was when I was getting a bunch of 2500 trophies. The game was really concerned that I haven't been getting any of the Mechonis that it made it its mission to complete the set. Two more join the collection: Yaldabaoth and... and... uh... that trophy.
I beat Classic on Intensity 9.0 a long time ago with Luigi. I even got Mechonis and Bionis trophies (the latter I used a Golden Hammer on... screw Smash Tour).
So far, no Mechonis trophies.
EDIT: Don't read those trophies, spoilers are ahead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom