• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
The origin of the joke is that Sonic was originally designed by Sega to be a "cooler, hipper, and all around radder" protagonist than Mario. But years later Sega decided Sonic wasn't "edgy" enough anymore, so they cloned Vegeta made Shadow. A Sonic the Hedgehog character so "edgy" he got to use GUNS! AND SWEAR! (At least in his game anyway)
Oooooooh.

Wait, why would Sega think Sonic was suppose to be 'edgy' when he is suppose to be a smart***. Also, isn't the only swear word Shadow say is dam?

Lol, I legitimately forgot, and probably for that exact reason.

Shinku Hadoken or Shin Shoryuken, depending on which you want to fill on a gameplay niche. (Beam vs. Punch supers)
So the Kamehameha?
Nay to both.
I would prefer a large number of options to both characters.
For Melee clones I'd rather see both Pichu and Young Link before Roy. Yeah.
For clones in general there's too many to list.
For Capcom characters, Amaterasu and Jill/Leon from Resident Evil. Don't really care about Street Fighter whatsoever.
:D. Truly?

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
For Melee clones I'd rather see both Pichu and Young Link before Roy. Yeah.
The only Melee clone that skipped Brawl that I wanted to see return for 4 was Doc. He came back, the rest can burn, baby, burn.

Wait, why would Sega think Sonic was suppose to be 'edgy' when he is suppose to be a smart***.
At the time, his radical attitude was being compared to the relatively wholesome and straight-edged Mario.

You could basically say the same thing now, it's just that Sonic's attitude has been met and exceeded so many times since that it's no longer a distinguishing factor for him personally.

Last edited:

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
I might have said this a few pages before, but eh:

While I personally wouldn't care much for Roy to return (even with a new moveset he'd still be another swordsman from Fire Emblem), he might make some people happy. And if Sakurai plans to bring back ALL Smash characters (that are technicly possible), he'd be an inevatability anyways and not quite the worst choice (Pichu or unchanged Young Link).

Ryu on the other hand would be far from my first pick, but still a pretty cool addition to the roster.

D

Deleted member

Then how about Young Link? :D
Three Links

The only veteran I really want back is Wolf.

Also, Dante has less connections to Nintendo than Ryu does.

No way in Hell is Dante getting into Smash.
C wut I did thar?:troll:
Dante's reaction when he can't convince you to support him for Smash:
(in all seriousness, no Dante please)

At the time, his radical attitude was being compared to the relatively wholesome and straight-edged Mario.

You could basically say the same thing now, it's just that Sonic's attitude has been met and exceeded so many times since that it's no longer a distinguishing factor for him personally.
Sonic's personality was created to make him "cool" in comparison to Mario; it was done to capitalize on the more adult audiences who probably thought Mario was too childish. In a way, it worked, as evidence by how much of an icon Sonic is and I read somewhere that Sonic was more popular with the kids than Mario at some point.

Nowadays, his personality hasn't aged very well and can be seen as a product of the 90s.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I was overjoyed by Doc's return, while nearly everyone around me was crying or mad. I felt so out-of-place, lol.

Roy's return will be Doc reactions 2.0

:231:

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979
Oooooooh.

Wait, why would Sega think Sonic was suppose to be 'edgy' when he is suppose to be a smart***. Also, isn't the only swear word Shadow say is dam?

So the Kamehameha?

:D. Truly?
Well I guess they thought being a smart*ss is kind of "edgy" in a way. I think Shadow might also say H-E double hockey sticks but I don't remember for sure.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I sorta hope Roy's still a semiclone, but I wouldn't still mind him in his original form. At least if he's gonna be better than Marth today.

Roy might not be entirely Doc 2.0 though, as he has still more profound popularity and fanbase in both Smash, and FE-fandoms.

sunfallSeraph

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5155-4095-3556
Roy's return will be Doc reactions x2
ftfy. :b

Really though, I stand by my 'plz no' to both of these guys. I don't mean any offense to fans of these characters, but they look like such C-listers to me. My salt might be ever so slightly abated if Roy shows up and is actually a VIABLE Marth clone, because I like that playstyle, but I would also just be pissed because I have to pick Roy over Lucina if I want to take advantage of that fact... Bluh. Can't we just have an early pick from the Smash Ballot instead? It's had enough time now to demonstrate who the front-runners are going to be anyways...

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Eh wellz, I guess I'll just watch the world burn if Roy will be confirmed.

We all know that's not gonna happen. As soon as he is announced all the naysayers are going to switch gears and say, "ZOMG Roy was such a good idea! I'm so happy he's back!" Just like every other character.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
We all know that's not gonna happen. As soon as he is announced all the naysayers are going to switch gears and say, "ZOMG Roy was such a good idea! I'm so happy he's back!" Just like every other character.
Might just be part of the entire wacky show, anyway. :seuss:

Last edited:

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979
I sorta hope Roy's still a semiclone, but I wouldn't still mind him in his original form. At least if he's gonna be better than Marth today.

Roy might not be entirely Doc 2.0 though, as he has still more profound popularity and fanbase in both Smash, and FE-fandoms.
Wait I thought he was hated in the FE fandom?

Edit- Found this pic, had to share.

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
if we're talking about Capcom reps: Monster Hunter
That is all

I want my Isaac tho

ActionShot

Smash Cadet
NNID
Actionshot35
Metal Gear Solid is my favorite series of all time, so I'm rooting for my boy Solid Snake to come back.

I wouldn't mind Roy coming back if they did something to de-clone them. If he comes back pretty much straight out of melee like mewtwo did with the sweetspot at the center/hilt of the sword, it sounds like he wouldn't be played different enough from Lucina. Marth's tipper puts a extra emphasis on spacing, where for Lucina it does not matter that much if they get close. If Roy does return, I'd like to see his gameplan be a little different, ideally I'd also like to see Lucina then tweaked a little. I don't like that she's completely outclassed by Marth. Even though she breaks shields better and arguably edge guards better she's still outclassed. I'd be satisfied if they just adjusted some of frame data on some of her moves to be ever so slightly quickier. (But not shield breaker, it would be too good if it was faster.) Then she would be faster but weaker Marth, not just weaker Marth.

If we're getting another Marth clone, I'd want the two clones to be tweaked some what so that they're more different.

I would love for a Final Fantasy rep in smash, but one from a game that was actually on Nintendo's console. I think Kain Highwind from Final Fantasy IV would be a great addition as a fighter and a throwback to the SNES era. I know Issac and Golden Sun has a dedicated fanbase, but Final Fantasy is a huge series, and had it's start on Nintendo. Instead of Lightning, or Noctis, or Cloud or whoever, make a Final Fantasy rep in smash one of the Nintendo FF characters, and from a game in the series that's loved. I vote Kain.

Tiz from Bravely Default would be really cool too as a psuedo Final Fantasy rep. They could give him the Bowser Jr. Treatment too and have his alts be the other characters since they all could be the same classes and learn the same moves.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Wait I thought he was hated in the FE fandom?
The Western side seems to be more hating of him - but the global liking for him through Smash and FE seems to trump the Western vocal minority, along with other factors. Chronobound made a post about this which I hope to find in order to cite it...

I would love for a ROM hack to replace Roy with :4roy:.
Hope you have a patch ready to ensure he'll promote early or Roy Koopa will be a dead... weight. :4lemmy:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I don't think a Square character will ever happen in Smash. My personal picks would probably be either Neku or Crono though, as I find their respective games to be amazing. If it had to be someone from FF, I guess black mage would do, but I'd prefer Mog/a moogle or Terra myself.
A Dragon Quest rep would make me cringe, someone from BD would probably do the same.

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
So for ****s and giggles I went through all of the Social Threads and tallied them up:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XZJ93lAjW39S55hNLKn5ZALkSKNQSYbVxWdNIy0GCOI/edit?usp=sharing

Note: This might be SLIGHTLY out of date considering how fast ours and the Zelda's move. I was expecting them to be a little closer. But as you can see, we and the Zeldas are pretty much unassailable in our superiority.

A few notes: the Miis have one social thread, and I couldn't find one for Wario or Samus.

Another note: The Lucinas started over on April 1st.

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Sometimes I wonder about the reactions from and the state of the internet had the Koopalings not actually returned in NSMBWii, but instead returned in Sm4sh, and were revealed in that trailer, and before Smash 3DS released.

Could you imagine the nostalgia hype when that scene happened?

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Sometimes I wonder about the reactions from and the state of the internet had the Koopalings not actually returned in NSMBWii, but instead returned in Sm4sh, and were revealed in that trailer, and before Smash 3DS released.

Could you imagine the nostalgia hype?
And new voice clips?

IDK though man, having to make faves would have been harder than now, tho. I liked Lemmy in MK8, so having him in Sm4sh was frigging great.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
So for ****s and giggles I went through all of the Social Threads and tallied them up:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XZJ93lAjW39S55hNLKn5ZALkSKNQSYbVxWdNIy0GCOI/edit?usp=sharing

Note: This might be SLIGHTLY out of date considering how fast ours and the Zelda's move. I was expecting them to be a little closer. But as you can see, we and the Zeldas are pretty much unassailable in our superiority.

A few notes: the Miis have one social thread, and I couldn't find one for Wario or Samus.

Naga's breath! :surprised: We and the Zeldas are indeed pretty much unassailable in our superiority over the other social threads. :eek:

Soon, we shall reign supreme over ALL the social threads on Smashboards! When that time comes, they will all kneel before us. :evil:

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956

Also, folks should be able to edit the spreadsheet now. And if anyone knows where the Wario and Samus social threads are, that would be great!

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
For you, the day Robin Social graced your watched threads was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.

(I'd edit in Robin's head on Bison's body but I have no editing skills)

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979
The Western side seems to be more hating of him - but the global liking for him through Smash and FE seems to trump the Western vocal minority, along with other factors. Chronobound made a post about this which I hope to find in order to cite it...

Hope you have a patch ready to ensure he'll promote early or Roy Koopa will be a dead... weight. :4lemmy:
Ah, I see. Also I would totally buy that rom-hack, just saying. :4roy:

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979

Could you imagine the nostalgia hype when that scene happened?

One of the absolute best moments in ANY of the Smash 4 reveal trailers.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051

question by the miis did you use the mii fighter thread?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Naga's breath! :surprised: We and the Zeldas are indeed pretty much unassailable in our superiority over the other social threads. :eek:

Soon, we shall reign supreme over ALL the social threads on Smashboards! When that time comes, they will all kneel before us. :evil:

Honestly, if K. Rool gets confirmed for DLC, I think the Kutthroats thread (which will probably become the social thread like the Robin thread did) will quickly shoot to the top.

But seriously, we're at 800 pages? Wow... I try to keep checking this thread but regardless of how often I check it, a glitch tends to drop it out of my Alerts.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
As far as this and the Zelda social threads being on top goes, that's not too surprising. Characters seem to draw different crowds, and Robin/Zelda seem to interest artistic sorts of people. Seriously, a look at how often we post silly pictures and edit things into Smash references gives some weight to that.

So you've got a lot of people who like creating and showing off things, centralized in one or two spots where they get good feedback for it by others joining in. Sounds like a recipe for thread success!

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
I would love for a Final Fantasy rep in smash, but one from a game that was actually on Nintendo's console. I think Kain Highwind from Final Fantasy IV would be a great addition as a fighter and a throwback to the SNES era. I know Issac and Golden Sun has a dedicated fanbase, but Final Fantasy is a huge series, and had it's start on Nintendo. Instead of Lightning, or Noctis, or Cloud or whoever, make a Final Fantasy rep in smash one of the Nintendo FF characters, and from a game in the series that's loved. I vote Kain.
I vote Chocobo. I'm only half-joking by the way.

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
Like Mewtwo (though, at least he's not a clone) I'm not particularly excited for Roy's return if that whole thing is true. And I'm one of those people who occasionally play as him in Melee and Project M.

Indifferent about Ryu. Though admittedly, I'd love some Street Fighter music in smash.
Can we please have 1 or 2 of The Last Story songs in smash? :/
If Roy is really coming back, that'd be hilarious. "Chrom would be too similar to Ike. by the way, here's female Marth and red hair Marth."
As someone who was partially going for Chrom in pre-Smash 4, this bothers me. Guess Ike will forever be cloneless. (which isn't a bad thing)

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist

Which path will you choose? The Nii-sama path or the Onii-chan path? YOU CAN ONLY CHOOSE ONE LITTLE SISTER!!! :drflip:

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979
As far as this and the Zelda social threads being on top goes, that's not too surprising. Characters seem to draw different crowds, and Robin/Zelda seem to interest artistic sorts of people. Seriously, a look at how often we post silly pictures and edit things into Smash references gives some weight to that.

So you've got a lot of people who like creating and showing off things, centralized in one or two spots where they get good feedback for it by others joining in. Sounds like a recipe for thread success!
Yeah I definitely agree. We do enjoy our awesomely random art around here.

Top Bottom