• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Hong

The Strongest
I scarcely remember catapults ha AoE in the Tellius games.
This is correct. They just need to make it faster so the damage numbers for all affected show in quicker succession.

Would also be cool if ballistas damaged multiple enemies in line, though that sounds kind of gruesome.

Coolpool2

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1048-8836-5328
I have to agree with some of the complaints that people make about awakening, I've played FE7 and Shadow dragon and I wish there were more objects other than rout the enemy.
Area of effect spells that can target multiple units for next FE: yay or nay?
It honestly just depends on how they balance it. If it is just a spell you can use anytime in any chapter it should do less damage per target then a regular spell of the same rank. It is the balance of it feeling useful while not feeling overpowered. If they can pull it off, I don't see a reason not to have it.

Célja

There's no such thing as a nornal person
NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
Why can so many characters duck/crawl under Thoron? :c

Coolpool2

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1048-8836-5328
Well Robin has only fought other humans and Risen, she/he isn't used to fighting pink puffballs and people just ducking in general.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I just play Awakening so I can get the supports unlocked and see how quickly I can ravage Infinite Regalia and the not-Apotheosis-because-****-that-map DLC levels. That's always a fun challenge.

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
Honestly, one of the things that surprised me the most when playing FE for the first time was the fact that AoE attacks are scarce/non-existent, which is why I asked in the first place. I see them in every other SRPG so I got used to divide and conquering with individual units without tanking. That backfired fast on me when playing Awakening, lol.

Hong

The Strongest
It honestly just depends on how they balance it. If it is just a spell you can use anytime in any chapter it should do less damage per target then a regular spell of the same rank. It is the balance of it feeling useful while not feeling overpowered. If they can pull it off, I don't see a reason not to have it.
The way stats work in Fire Emblem, unless they go with stats like Radiant Dawn where everyone is more similar, it's really hard to balance something that is magical by making it weaker. For instance, if it had a Mt value of 0, it would still do absurd damage to most enemies, since it's not uncommon for physical types to have 10-30% Res growth. Yet, if you make it so it has some crazy formula like Mag/2, it will suddenly do 0-5 damage to a lot of enemies even towards the end game.

This is really a precarious situation for Fire Emblem, and it's certainly something they thought of before. Since Radiant Dawn had such high cumulative character levels (across three tiers), AoE damage was valid. Basically, they can reasonably balance it around doing small single digit damage, since as early as part 2 you have characters with relatively large health pools. Even the most money shots in a clump of soldiers can't get out of control.

Maybe they can make a light magic tome or something with area damage, since generally light magic users are supposed to deal less damage but have greater res, skl, and sometimes spd.

Why can so many characters duck/crawl under Thoron? :c
Yet Metroid can't.

Hong

The Strongest
Honestly, one of the things that surprised me the most when playing FE for the first time was the fact that AoE attacks are scarce/non-existent, which is why I asked in the first place. I see them in every other SRPG so I got used to divide and conquering with individual units without tanking. That backfired fast on me when playing Awakening, lol.
A lot RPGs use larger numbers with less of a statistical contrast. They also generally use complex formulas.

Fire Emblem for the most part is extremely straight forward. At its base, attacks are the unit's Str plus weapon Mt minus the victim's Def for physical attacks, and Mag plus weapon Mt minus Res for magical. It uses simple, small numbers, in a very straight-forward manner. 20 Str + 20 Mt = 40 damage.

Other SRPGs generally have more formulas that are not just simple addition and subtraction. Multiplication, exponents... Generally some kind of curve and conditions. Also, generally in other RPGs, the differences in magical resistance is not as great as it is in Fire Emblem. Someone who has even a quarter of the magical resistance as someone else is still probably better off than, say, a mercenary in Fire Emblem or something.

So for theory sake, let's say you have a Level 20 Soren versus three level 20 Boyds. At level 20, if we round our numbers, Soren has 17 Mag and the Boyds have 4 Res. Let's also say Soren has two wind tomes that can hit all three of the Boyds.

The first wind tome has 0 Mt. So Soren hits the three Boyds for 17 (Mag) + 0 (Mt) - 4 (Res) for 13 damage. Even if you were to hit only two Boyds, the total damage would be so absurd compared to anything else. Keep in mind magic users are already the de facto nukers of Fire Emblem, whose damage is usually only rivalled by fighter types or myrmidons with crits depending on the victim in question. Squishy low-Def targets aside, Mages are supreme, because Res is scarce across a greater range of characters.

The second tome has a weird formula of Mag/2. Let's just do some optimistic rounding and say it comes out at 9 damage. Now you are doing 5 damage to the three Boyds, Which might sound interesting, but keep in mind Boyd is one of the absolute most optimistic targets and at that point of the game has 40 health. Three Ikes, a character who can be noted for having a more realistic Res stat, would be taking like 1 damage. Even if you wanted a really low HP target like Mia (28 HP), low HP target generally have more Res. She would only take 3~ damage.

The problem persists, even as the game progresses. For instance, at max level, promoted, the first tome would hit the three Boyds for 19 damage each, while the second would do... 4 damage to each, out of a maximum of 60 HP. :D To have AoE damage tomes, even with 0 Mt it would be unfair for an end-game tome. Something that did Mag/2 might be okay as a limited use tome you can only get a few of, though.

Last edited:

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
A lot RPGs use larger numbers with less of a statistical contrast. They also generally use complex formulas.

Fire Emblem for the most part is extremely straight forward. At its base, attacks are the unit's Str plus weapon Mt minus the victim's Def for physical attacks, and Mag plus weapon Mt minus Res for magical. It uses simple, small numbers, in a very straight-forward manner. 20 Str + 20 Mt = 40 damage.

Other SRPGs generally have more formulas that are not just simple addition and subtraction. Multiplication, exponents... Generally some kind of curve and conditions. Also, generally in other RPGs, the differences in magical resistance is not as great as it is in Fire Emblem. Someone who has even a quarter of the magical resistance as someone else is still probably better off than, say, a mercenary in Fire Emblem or something.

So for theory sake, let's say you have a Level 20 Soren versus three level 20 Boyds. At level 20, if we round our numbers, Soren has 17 Mag and the Boyds have 4 Res. Let's also say Soren has two wind tomes that can hit all three of the Boyds.

The first wind tome has 0 Mt. So Soren hits the three Boyds for 17 (Mag) + 0 (Mt) - 4 (Res) for 13 damage. Even if you were to hit only two Boyds, the total damage would be so absurd compared to anything else. Keep in mind magic users are already the de facto nukers of Fire Emblem, whose damage is usually only rivalled by fighter types or myrmidons with crits depending on the victim in question. Squishy low-Def targets aside, Mages are supreme, because Res is scarce across a greater range of characters.

The second tome has a weird formula of Mag/2. Let's just do some optimistic rounding and say it comes out at 9 damage. Now you are doing 5 damage to the three Boyds, Which might sound interesting, but keep in mind Boyd is one of the absolute most optimistic targets and at that point of the game has 40 health. Three Ikes, a character who can be noted for having a more realistic Res stat, would be taking like 1 damage. Even if you wanted a really low HP target like Mia (28 HP), low HP target generally have more Res. She would only take 3~ damage.

The problem persists, even as the game progresses. For instance, at max level, promoted, the first tome would hit the three Boyds for 19 damage each, while the second would do... 4 damage to each, out of a maximum of 60 HP. :D To have AoE damage tomes, even with 0 Mt it would be unfair for an end-game tome. Something that did Mag/2 might be okay as a limited use tome you can only get a few of, though.
Ah, I see. I have forgotten to taken into account how simplistic and straightforward the stats calculation were in FE, which admittedly I didn't realize until FE7 when I had to calculate if I would double attack or not since Awakening told you that. Thanks for the info.

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
Is that Binding Blade, or Blazing Sword... Or another one?

I'm so bad with numbers. xD
Blazing Sword, with Lyn, Eliwood, and Hector.

Binding Blade still has no official English release. :104:
What she said.

Not range spells, necessarily, but I want to see Ballistas return to make Archers useful again. I barely touched the Archers in Awakening, but I use Rebecca quite a bit in 7.

Mr.Sile

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dorvillo
I'm looking for Robin mains to practice with (am noob)? Anyone?

(The finder thread is a bit complicated)

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Well lets see what's going on in the Robin thread.

*626 pages*

!!!!!

You leave the thread for 2 days and already about 10 pages have gone already ;-;.

All the spoilers in here. 0_0
Well, we really haven't spoiled anything here.....

Link also seems to completely overuse the powers of an elder god that where bestowed upon him. These things tend to come with a price. And both sanity and soul are usually early candidates for artifacts such as these. Heed my warning, young one. Don't let your hubris get the better of you.

Huh? Wha? Did you say something? I was to busy destroying a specie of Moblin :seuss:.

Really? I wasn't aware. The only Diety I've known young link to slay is Majora and she's not even confirmed Diety.

Adult Link hasn't either though.
Well, I classified Majora as a Deity because if Fierce Deity is, why isn't Majora?

Also, with Adult Link, I was talking about Ganondorf.

Your all wrong. The RNG Goddess, Anna, shall reign supreme, regardless of if you've slain a God or if you are God. :demon:

That is unless you have a bad of gold in your hand :p.

dare you try while I use @ The Merc The Merc as shield. :emptysheep:
Wait, wha-? Yikes!

My sworn protector
Young Link Happy emoticon (scaled down).png

Last edited:

Elezir

Ultimate Momma :v
I'm looking for Robin mains to practice with (am noob)? Anyone?

(The finder thread is a bit complicated)
Well, I could practice with you, but I only have the 3ds and I kind of still struggling with the controls :4pacman: Principally :GCU:+:GCB:. I dunno, maybe my stick is finally dying on me.(welp.) Because all I get sometimes is thunder, not elwind. Particulary bad when I'm falling. It's funny, because when I play on my friend's Wii U I have no problems.
I'm, as well, not that good with Robin. Just basic stuff, so it's probably better if you got some one a bit better as sparring partner :v

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
You all weren't kidding about Edward and Leonardo's latter support conversations. :joyful:
Speaking of the supports in RD, I'm sorta miffed the way it's handled as all the character support conversations are generic. :/ Probably the only big complaint I have with the game so far.
I'm at the part where Micaiah has to choose whether or not to kill Pelleas. Wondering which one I should choose
Nvm. It apparently doesn't change the outcome of the situation.

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Btw, it seems that you can download the Robin models used in these videos from a Japanese site to use in MMD, but you need a password to that, and only people who can read Japanese are able to guess the password.
@ Moydow Moydow pwease?:cheep:
It wants:
the name of the game (10 characters katakana, 2 kanji) - ファイアーエムブレム覚醒
the ID number of the male Robin's video on NicoNico (8 numbers) - 24480705
the Avatar's default Japanese name (3 katakana) - ルフレ

so: ファイアーエムブレム覚醒24480705ルフレ

Elezir

It wants:
the name of the game (10 characters katakana, 2 kanji) - ファイアーエムブレム覚醒
the ID number of the male Robin's video on NicoNico (8 numbers) - 24480705
the Avatar's default Japanese name (3 katakana) - ルフレ

so: ファイアーエムブレム覚醒24480705ルフレ
M-Moydow-sama
My favorite prosecutor, thank you so much:happysheep:

I honestly should start to properly learn Japanese.

Last edited:

Célja

There's no such thing as a nornal person
NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
So I think I just picked up :4charizard: as another character I'm gonna be playing with. Right now I'm feeling kinda off with him, but I'm hoping that he'll see I have enough badges to train him. Probably gonna mess around with him and possibly do some photoshoots since I picked the same color as my main Robin palette.

I won't lie; :4charizard: feels kinda bad atm, but that's not going to stop me at all from playing him.

SBphiloz4

Gatekeeper of the Shadows
NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
Accurate representation of Robin if placed in traffic.

smh 0/10 can't go fast

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Hai Robins, I heard someone thought it'd be cute to reveal our intention of coming heeya, and brought up some ZeldaxRobinfem action smh well, that won't deter US!

We've come to plaaaaaay, and it looks like we've already got plenty here! Maybe they aren't on a skype group?

Topic: Why would anyone use male robin? I mean, I know femReflet is entirely an inferior waifu to Zelda, but why????

Last edited:

Elezir

Oh my, is that invasion starting now?
It's a good time to get some new supports, then ;p

Hai Robins, I heard someone thought it'd be cute to reveal our intention of coming heeya, and brought up some ZeldaxRobinfem action smh well, that won't deter US!

We've come to plaaaaaay, and it looks like we've already got plenty here! Maybe they aren't on a skype group?

Topic: Why would anyone use male robin? I mean, I know femReflet is entirely an inferior waifu to Zelda, but why????
That would be me <3

Eh, I tried to find a pic with :4robinm:x:4zelda:, as M!Robin is my favorite, but no such luck.
So I went with :4robinf:x:4zelda:. Why not? :cheep:

smh 0/10 can't go fast
Who need to be fast when you can just Thoron everyone to oblivion?:cheep:
Or even better, support everyone to oblivion?

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051

When I play as the tactician I use Robin Hood: Boy Wonder! (Green Robin)

Last edited:

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo

Hey, were gonna be visiting for a while. How do yew even chase people with robin, she's so slow like. At least she has feet now. She got like way faster.

SBphiloz4

NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
TFW the red unit is attacking

But the Robins are too slow to counterattack smh this ain't casual mode

Is this how u gorls play Fire Emblem?

Elezir

How to play Fire Emblem:
Easy mode:

Lunatic +:
Welp, bad memories.
You shouldn't even kid with Lunatic+. The RNGesus may decide to screw you over. Big time.

TFW the red unit is attacking

But the Robins are too slow to counterattack smh this ain't casual mode

Is this how u gorls play Fire Emblem?
Like every match against Robin. Too Long
Well, that's the fun in playing Robin:cheep:
Finding a way over that weakness and destroying the enemy in an awesome way is a tactician's job.

Either way, I've been trying to decide whether or not to add Zelda in my seconds list.
Any one here to give me a push in that direction?

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"

smh 0/10 can't go fast
Funny. Robin doesn't feel that slow to me anymore. I don't know why :/.

Well, that's the fun in playing Robin:cheep:
Finding a way over that weakness and destroying the enemy in an awesome way is a tactician's job.

Either way, I've been trying to decide whether or not to add Zelda in my seconds list.
I guess that's why we're always 3 steps ahead :4robinm::4robinf:.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
You should pick up Zelda if you want to make yourself sad about how bad she is

oh wait I should probably say something constructive lol.
She's a very high risk, high reward character. Do you like that type of playstyle? She requires a lot of patience because she has no approach options, no reliable options when she's above someone, and sometimes she can't even kill despite her powerful moves because people sometimes fall out of her fsmash and usmash. If you can deal with all of that, she's a very fun and rewarding character~

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Sheesh I know that Robin is the anti Sonic but leave him alone T.T

SBphiloz4

NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
But how can u fighT against that weakness when you expose ur "friends" firsT smh

So much for being the tactician everyone loves.

Elezir

You should pick up Zelda if you want to make yourself sad about how bad she is
Nah, I've seen some impressive Zelda gameplay from Nairo, for example.
All characters have good and bad qualities in this smash, imo, which is why I think it's a pretty balanced game.

But how can u fighT against that weakness when you expose ur "friends" firsT smh

So much for being the tactician everyone loves.
Hey, being a nice guy doesn't mean Robin can't be sassy sometimes:troll:

Last edited:
Top Bottom