• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Oh, and also forgot one other reaction- "Wait, FE has magic users? It's not just a historical swordsman thing?"
This is exactly why we needed someone like Robin in Smash.

Seriously, the Fire Emblem series looked so dull when its only representatives were two similar looking swordsman with similar abilities. It's like if Pokemon was represented exclusively by Pikachu, Pichu, Raichu, and Dedenne; it makes the series look boring and stale. That's why Robin was always an ideal choice for a Fire Emblem newcomer, as he/she had a unique appearance and abilities that capture the essence of what Fire Emblem is actually about. And what do you know, right after Robin's reveal, people unfamiliar with Fire Emblem expressed interest in the series, and the number of sales for Awakening went up accordingly.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
My reaction before I liked Robin/Lucina and briefly hated them because they butted in on Mewtwo:

My reaction when I realized I was liking them:

My reaction when I rewatch the trailer remembering my former view of them:

My reaction when Mewtwo becomes DLC and I can have both of my favorites:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
>Few seconds before trailer started
>See Chrom and Lucina in trailer
>Lucina confirmed without Chrom
>Elwind strike that looked like Monado Purge.
>Robin floating there
>Robin floats down
>"Time to tip the sca-"
>Robin Brings the Thunder!!

Basically my reactions in sequence. :p

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
This is exactly why we needed someone like Robin in Smash.

Seriously, the Fire Emblem series looked so dull when its only representatives were two similar looking swordsman with similar abilities. It's like if Pokemon was represented exclusively by Pikachu, Pichu, Raichu, and Dedenne; it makes the series look boring and stale. That's why Robin was always an ideal choice for a Fire Emblem newcomer, as he/she had a unique appearance and abilities that capture the essence of what Fire Emblem is actually about. And what do you know, right after Robin's reveal, people unfamiliar with Fire Emblem expressed interest in the series, and the number of sales for Awakening went up accordingly.
Precisely. I really wished to see something like that since getting into series, but wasn't expecting "traditions" to change to accomodate that, which had me then not look into other FE-reps than Chrom. He just seemed to be runnin' through the tradition of little "true" FE-representation since Brawl (despite Ike using Aether and Castle Siege having elements from the level archetypes in FE-games). Also I didn't want to set myself for a disappointment of sorts by saying that the guy didn't have much moveset potential after Sakurai proved to make last newcomers and many veterans before Robin work who were given same statements. Though in the flipside I liked the guy so thinking what they'd make of him was something to look forward to at least.

I'm glad it got averted however, and to hear how positively it affected on FE-series overall has me in great relief that sometimes your inner desires come true the most least you expect them. Might say that at that point Chrom not being playable, which along proving that the whole "blue-haired swordsman"-debacle was just a mistook superstition due Ike's coincidental hair color after just being chosen from I.S's suggestion, is a major positive step towards better representation of FE in the future and also was a major boost to provide that FE has more to it than it used to look to newcomers of the series.

(Now I.S should try to promote or make more games like previous installments of the series that don't have rather lack-luster plot-holed plot and grind-induced missions and gameplay)

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
You're all talking about reactions to the trailer and how it will be represented.
And I'm sitting here, waiting for FireEmblemxShinMegamiTensei.

Also, I loved FireEmblem the day I saw marth. I loved him to Death, a true Swordsman, with crazy techniqes. After that I played the FE with Lynn.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I wish I saw the trailer live. I convinced myself that Shulk was going to be confirmed due to Tetsuya Takahashi's tweet so I was too bummed out to watch the trailer live and only found out about Robin's conformation a hour later on Nintendo Life.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I actually spoilt who was revealed through the Smash Bros site before watching the trailer (as I didn't watch it live), so my reactions weren't as over the top. That being said, I think it'd have gone something like this:
-Lucina? bleh, I bet she'll be as clone-y as a clone can get
-What was that wind spell!?
-HNNNNNNNG ROBINNNNNN
-Oh my god, his moveset looks so much fun!
-Called it, Lucina is just an overglorified Marth skin, not impressed Sakurai. Also, she looks kinda off in the game, like if she had no soul or something
I was too happy for Robin to really care, but Lucina felt like a really forced addition just thrown in cause she's one of the most, if not the most, popular FE character. Some might find my judgement harsh, but I opposed Lucina moreso than I did Chrom, and that's quite a feat!

Unkown Hero

Smash Journeyman
I never watched an anime in my life. So when people talk about them or reference them, I get lost.
I'm sort of ditto, only anime I have watch been Kiki's delivery Service and a few others by the same people

To paraphrase @Glaciacott, I think a lot of people had an increased interest in Fire Emblem after they found out it has magic and women.
Yet some people still want Roy back as DLC with Mew2 being dlc now. I never can understand people.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Yet some people still want Roy back as DLC with Mew2 being dlc now. I never can understand people.
Wanting Roy back isn't a bad thing. I, personally, don't care but it's not uncomprehendable that people would want him back, he's a very popular character. Understanding people is easy, put yourself in their shoes, if your favorite character got cut would you not hold out hope and want for as long as you can? It's not that hard to understand. People wanted Mewtwo, they got him, people still want to hold out hope for Roy? Let them it's all just in good fun.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
How many Roys do you guys want? Gosh, seriously! Some people!:4tlink:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I personally wish we'd have Elibe-representation outside of Lyndis, as Elibe is the continent most got into when hopping on Fire Emblem the very first time in international releases. FE7 is also best entry for newcomers to hop in IMO, thanks to Lyndis's mode (though it can get annoying if being a veteran, but otherwise, I like how Lyn's story helps you learn many fundamentals in the series sans some game-exclusive features, like skills, marriage, etc)

But seeing how FE has 4 reps now, it'd be bit of an overkill. Also :4roy:

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
If you could choose one character per realm/continent of Fire Emblem, who would you choose? For reference sake, we'll count Ylisse as a new continent with Valm included, even though they are just the future realms of Akaneia and Valentia respectively.

For me...

Akeneia: Marth
Valentia: Celica
Jugdral: Seliph
Elibe: Lyn
Magvel: Ephraim
Tellius: Elincia
Ylisse: Morgan

Also, you can't say Anna because Anna is love, Anna is life.

Unkown Hero

Smash Journeyman
Wanting Roy back isn't a bad thing. I, personally, don't care but it's not uncomprehendable that people would want him back, he's a very popular character. Understanding people is easy, put yourself in their shoes, if your favorite character got cut would you not hold out hope and want for as long as you can? It's not that hard to understand. People wanted Mewtwo, they got him, people still want to hold out hope for Roy? Let them it's all just in good fun.
Oh no, I don't hate Roy, not at all. In fact, I kind of wish Roy was Marth instead in smash, cause I love playing him more in Melee. However, You have 3 Marth Clones in smash and nobody bats any eye. Bring back Young Link and EVERYBODY WOULD LOSE THERE MIND.

How many Roys do you guys want? Gosh, seriously! Some people! (Just want to watch the world burn!):4tlink:
Toon Link support, YA. :laugh:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Multiple copies of Link with basically the same moveset...

For the record Young Link could be SO much more unique than Toon Link IF,and only if, they use Majora's Mask (mask) Transformations, but that seems extremely unlikely for this game.

Unkown Hero

Smash Journeyman

:confused:. I mean, thy could give Young Link his Mask, so, I'm not sure what you are worrying about.

Also

If you could choose one character per realm/continent of Fire Emblem, who would you choose? For reference sake, we'll count Ylisse as a new continent with Valm included, even though they are just the future realms of Akaneia and Valentia respectively.
I have only played Awakening but I will give it a shot

Akeneia: Anna
Valentia: Anna
Jugdral: Anna
Elibe: Anna
Magvel: Anna
Tellius: Anna
Ylisse: Virion
:seuss:. Sorry, Anna's just to awesome, don't shoot me!

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
I would still love to have Roy around... if not only for nostalgic purposes. Still, then there would be 2 Marth clones.

Unkown Hero

Smash Journeyman
She meant it more as an exaggerated facepalm than trauma, methinks.

I'd be mad too if we got 4 bloody Links.
3 Link's. Seriously, no one can count in this thread.

Also, whats wrong with 3 Link's, what with all the hate. I'm so confused :confused:

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Does anybody over here sometimes just get in a sudden flurry of FE passion. Like sometimes I start thinking about it, and can't stop for like an hour or so. I just imagine to myself how it would feel like to live in these societies and what not.

Hong

The Strongest
I didn't know that was so traumatizing for you.
The game developer in me cringes knowing that, if you take aside the planning of Link they did way back in the 64 days around a table of hot sake, Toon Link takes about 60%~ of the development time/cost of the average full character. Since he almost shares a moveset with an existing character, he offers little value.

The actual fan in me is upset because I love Link. Not only does neither Link reflect his classic appearance, but they both have astonishingly similar moves. You could have so many fun and interest movesets that involve Link rich history... pulling out the masks are only the tip of the iceberg.:icsmelee:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Akaneia: Marth
Jugdral: Sigurd (no, really? [points at avatar])
Elibe: Hector
Tellius: Elincia or Tibarn (can't choose)
Ylisse: Lucina (clone-ness be damned, though if she happens to return in the next game I expect her to get somewhat Luigified)

Kendude

Smash Cadet
I didn't play Sacred Stones or Gaiden so I'll leave those off.

Jugdral: Sigurd (Genealogy of the Holy War was my first Fire Emblem so I'm incredibly bias towards him)
Elibe: Hector
Tellius: Micaiah or Tibarn
Ylisse: Tharja or Cherche

D

Deleted member

That is bad... but I think that we've hit our absolute worst in terms of clones...
And by worst, I am of course referring to Dark Pit. You can't get any worse than Dark Pit.

For me...

Jugdral: Seliph
Elibe: Lyn
Tellius: Elincia
Ylisse: Morgan

Also, you can't say Anna because Anna is love, Anna is life.
Tellius: Ike
Ylisse: Robin (or a Robin and Tharja tag-team if that's permitted)
Yeah, I'm pretty original.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
That is bad... but I think that we've hit our absolute worst in terms of clones...

And by worst, I am of course referring to Dark Pit. You can't get any worse than Dark Pit.
lol dumb.jpg

Wait, you weren't referring to THOSE clones?

My bad.

:seuss:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I'll only comment on 3 continents (I'll get around playing New Mystery of the Emblem one of these days I swear)
Elibe: Lyndis or Sophia
Tellius: I'm fine with Ike, but I'd be squealing like a little schoolgirls if Ilyana had a chance
Awakening: Robin, Gaius or Nah

Last edited:

Kaitzur Service

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1607-2696-4805
Jugdral: Seliph(I shall reference him as Doom Bringer for humorous reasons this point forward.)
Elibe: Nils
Tellius: Volke
Ylisse: Yarne(With Henry)
With this, we shall rule the world!

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Pink Gold Dark Pit. :troll:

Unkown Hero

Smash Journeyman
The game developer in me cringes knowing that, if you take aside the planning of Link they did way back in the 64 days around a table of hot sake, Toon Link takes about 60%~ of the development time/cost of the average full character. Since he almost shares a moveset with an existing character, he offers little value.

The actual fan in me is upset because I love Link. Not only does neither Link reflect his classic appearance, but they both have astonishingly similar moves. You could have so many fun and interest movesets that involve Link rich history... pulling out the masks are only the tip of the iceberg.:icsmelee:
Actually Hong, I'm curious. If you were designing the younger speeder (:glare:, yeah sped, okay) version link (just pretend there had to be to versions) who would you use, and what would his B moves or, if you prefer, there could only be one link, who would you use, what would be his stats and what would his B moves be? I really curios to see you answer.

In fact, if anyone is curious, I would like to hear you answers too.

Hong

The Strongest
Actually Hong, I'm curious. If you were designing the younger speeder (:glare:, yeah sped, okay) version link (just pretend there had to be to versions) who would you use, and what would his B moves or, if you prefer, there could only be one link, who would you use, what would be his stats and what would his B moves be? I really curios to see you answer.

In fact, if anyone is curious, I would like to hear you answers too.
I typed a moveset for a retro Link about a year ago.

I think retro Link is one of the most potentially creative and unique newcomers out there, so I made a moveset for him. It wasn't easy because I have so, so many ideas and only so many slots.

First, a unique property:
Link can hold A at any time to begin charging a spin attack. This includes during other attacks, while incapacitated or recovering. This spin attack does not help with recovery.

Specials
B: Bomb
Immediately places a bomb on the ground by Link. It can be picked up like an item and thrown. While it does not explode on contact, it has a very large explosion and has a short fuse.

B Forward: Boomerang
A weapon the older Link uses as well, but this is different. It has more uniform movement; it can only go straight forward or on a diagonal axis when aimed, and has the same speed going in and out. This briefly stuns on hit.

B Down: Cane of Somaria
Link uses the cane to create a red block. When the special is used again, the block will detonate and send out four fireballs diagonally. This block acts as a physical barrier, can be pushed and jumped on.

If this is used when there is no ground beneath it, it will begin to fall. Furthermore, Link can only use it once in the air and has to touch the stage to use it again. This is to prevent Link from infinitely floating off the stage, and gimping recovery too easily by placing it by the ledge.

B Up: SO MANY OPTIONS
Roc's Feather, Stepladder, any of his flutes, a cucco to carry him away... I am sure you can use your imagination.

Smash Attacks
Forward Smash
Link pulls his sword back and thrusts it out, like he does in Adventure of Link. This fires off a slow moving sword beam that, while it does damage, has no knockback. I thought about gimmicks where this only happens when he is at 0% or having it inversely scale with his life, but keeping fun gameplay in mind, it should remain uniform at all percentages. The sword itself still ****s people up and has decent KO potential, of course.

Up Smash
Link holds up one of several random items above his head, knocking fighters away on presentation. If you fully charge this move, it plays the iconic Legend of Zelda item-get theme.

Alternatively, this could just have Link raise the Magic Rod above and create an explosion, and the presentation could be reserved for a taunt-attack instead.

Down Smash
Link smashes the ground with a hammer. Fighters at a short range at either side are flipped and end up on the ground. The range and damage increases as you charge it, though this move does not have knockback of its own.

Normals
A
Link constantly slashes as you mash A, like any of his classic pre-3d games. The animation interrupts itself of course so you can keep racking up the damage, but like with other rapid-hitting normals either Link or his victim will be pushed too far away for it to continue.

Forward Tilt
Link swipes the enemy with a lantern, igniting on hit

Up Tilt
Link taps the stepladder on the ground, causing it to extend and knock away anyone unfortunate enough to be in the way. He hits enemies when he brings it out, and positions the enemy for the second hit.

Down Tilt
Link does a simple crouching thrust, akin to what you get in Adventure of Link.

Dash Attack
Link holds his sword forward, making the patter sounds of the Pegasus Boots from LttP and striking the enemy multiple times before a final crash, bouncing off of them and sending them flying.

Aerials
Neutral
Link does a 360 corkspin with his Ice Rod in hand, leaving a cold trail. At higher percentages, this causes the enemy to briefly freeze.

Forward
A punch-like aerial sword thrust. This is difficult to connect with, but has great knockback and sends the enemy on a low trajectory.

Back
Link does a rearing shield bash and turns around. This does not have a lot of knockback but the hitstun is decent, so you can definitely follow it up.

Down Aerial
Like adult Link, this is a sword plant. Where this changes is it always bounces off the enemy, has no landing lag and always has the same level of knockback (not much at all). Link players are encouraged to pogo off the enemy as many times as they can to rack up damage. A bread-and-butter move, like it was in SSB64.

Up Aerial
The upwards sword-poke. While I had many ideas for what this move could be (like using his magic wand to create fire or throw magic powder), this is the most iconic choice and more importantly is something that I feel would make for the best gameplay.

Grab
Link holds the enemy above his head, as he would a pot or a shrub. As a result of using both hands, retro Link is the only character that can't attack fighters while he is carrying them, but like Donkey Kong he can walk around with them in hand until thrown or they break free. Since he immediately goes into this position after grabbing them, he can only throw them forward or backwards (not downwards; that would be terrible!).

Of course his Final Smash, like his recovery, could be one of many of the powerful spells he has had in the series.

Overall he is a projectile character like his successor, but of a completely different play style.
There is also a lot of potential for a rushdown-based Link that focuses on non-projectile special moves.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Yeah, let's give him some sort of thoughtless mechanic that gives him double his normal weight/halves damage taken if you harp Zelda's Lullaby to the faeries.
:p

Main thing I'd probably kill for a retro-ish (or 2D themed link, rather than kirby dreamstar rip off) would probably be all the techniques he ended up acquiring in Minish Cap.
Or at the very least, shooting beams out of his sword under certain conditions (being 0% would be a bit much, some sort of charge situation that gives him the ability for X seconds).

Otherwise give him a 9-winde like G&W and throw in all of his various tools, in order perhaps (super villager+). "Light the lantern! play the song! capture a projectile in a bottle! show them your big goron's ticket! Why can't he just spawn an egg that spawns a chicken shortly after that's like a counter tree! HAMMER THE RODENT IN A HOLE! (halves his movement for a little bit"

[The feels when a Shulk / Villager hybrid would be more like Link than Smash Link]

Last edited:
Top Bottom