• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
How ironic is it that I'm not an anime-goer, I don't associate with it very much and yet some of my favorite games are anime-like, Awakening being the central point to the argument.

WTH IS THAT SLIGHTLY BEARDED ROBIN

In all seriousness, I'd kill for your robe. Literally.

I'm jelly :c
That's where I fall as well. I've really only watched a very small amount of anime (mainly Ghibli films), but many of my favorite games like Pokémon have an anime style to them.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
i was hoping youd make that joke lol

also this

lol

actually now that I think of it you look more like a bearded Dante with Robin's robe than anything to me, rly.

That's where I fall as well. I've really only watched a very small amount of anime (mainly Ghibli films), but many of my favorite games like Pokémon have an anime style to them.
Ghibli makes best anime.

Totoro :3

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Man, I wish I could cosplay...

But I have this wretched demon called "Procrastination" breathing down on my neck. And there aren't very many characters that I could think of cosplaying (except maybe Robin).

That cloak is flippin' cool though.

Shaymikyu

The video worked fine for me in the original post, though it's a bit small.
Man, I wish I could cosplay...

But I have this wretched demon called "Procrastination" breathing down on my neck. And there aren't very many characters that I could think of cosplaying (except maybe Robin).

That cloak is flippin' cool though.
So you have that demon too, huh.

Hong

The Strongest
These 136-year-bans. Even hours later I am still giggling over it.

It's like the rules of Fire Emblem are being applied to your online matches in Smash Bros. Permanent death!:4robinf:

People are literally banished to the Shadow Realm. :4falcon:

Unkown Hero

Smash Journeyman
....... That was extremely corny, and lackluster. Come on, where was the energy?

It's like the rules of Fire Emblem are being applied to your online matches in Smash Bros. Permanent death!:4robinf:

After reading that I somehow find this relevant

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
My energy was made to mirror how much i liked making the arbitrary joke

also lol yea those pin legs

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
I like David Vincent's work in Smash though...
He brought us this, after all:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I like David Vincent's work in Smash though...
He brought us this, after all:
While I don't want to travel back to the past again, this scene and what came after might be my more fave parts of the trailer. I guess because I was so suspensive of what would be the look they'd go for him and would it be the default one (as to get closer on making Robin no more Avatar/MU).

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
I just rewatched the trailer and relived the hype. Very strange experience, I knew what would happen but had the same feelings when I first watched it, sans the confusion over the question mark in Lucina's annoucement.
Just that moment when Elwind hits: "Wait, could it be...?!"
Then Robin floating in the air: "HELL YEAH!"
:4robinm:: "It's going to be alright": "yesyesyesyesYesYesYesYesYESYESYESYES"
:4robinm:"TIME TO TIP THE SCALES!": "DAMN STRAIGHT!"

Just such a great series of scenes up to his announcement splash.

11/10, would tip scales again.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
I actually didn't know that Advance Wars was the reason why Fire Emblem finally came to America. I assumed that it was because of Marth and Roy in Melee.
Aaaaaaannnnndddddyyyyy... ;-; He could be the one character whose moveset is even more strategically-focused than Robin's.

Anyway, as someone who doesn't yet have Smash 4, which character as of Brawl would you say Robin plays closest to? I want to say the moveset looks to be a mix of Zelda and Ness, but i'd figure I ask the people who play and main Robin directly.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
this is adorable, I'll make it my avatar. On the subject of anime, I do enjoy watching some, but I'm not a hardcore fan that reads manga, looks up what's up for the new season, make theories for what could happen next, ship every single thing possible, etc. I just randomly pick up something that I feel I might enjoy based on its description. I also do tend to go with japanese games with the traditional anime art style (Fire Emblem, the more recent SMT games, Valkyria Chronicles, etc), but it's merely due to the game mechanics and not the art direction itself, I never go out of my way to play what's considered more "niche" like 90% of the stuff NIS publishes, and I also play western games every now and then (albeit not so frequently as they are just not my thing in most cases)

Shaymikyu

While I liked :4robinm:'s voice in the trailers, it took a while for his voice in game to grow on me. It has, though. Still much better than :4falco: or :4fox:.

Mainly, I like the way he says his Lucina victory taunt and (while I'd have preferred his ACTUAL line) "let's tip the scales."

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
:4robinm:'s voice sounds phoned in. Very unlike the badass delivery in the trailer.

:4robinf:'s voice, however...me likes. Despite not being Michelle Ruff, I've grown to like Lauren Landa's delivery. Just sounds like a higher pitched Ruff to me.

Shaymikyu

:4robinm:'s voice sounds phoned in. Very unlike the badass delivery in the trailer.

:4robinf:'s voice, however...me likes. Despite not being Michelle Ruff, I've grown to like Lauren Landa's delivery. Just sounds like a higher pitched Ruff to me.
Agreed on the latter for sure. While I'll always associate Voice 3 with Robin (except the youngest build- that's Voice 1 to me), she does a decent enough job and it really suits the default Robin. She has a bit more emotion to it, too. I just love the way she says, "Ha! Checkmate." It's basically perfect to how I see her personality.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Agreed on the latter for sure. While I'll always associate Voice 3 with Robin (except the youngest build- that's Voice 1 to me), she does a decent enough job and it really suits the default Robin. She has a bit more emotion to it, too. I just love the way she says, "Ha! Checkmate." It's basically perfect to how I see her personality.
Eh, the default build/voice will always be :4robinf: to me. I really don't like the other models.

Ironically I prefer the younger Morgan-esque :4robinm: with the default voice, lol. Looks so awkward in supports...:seuss:

Shaymikyu

Eh, the default build/voice will always be :4robinf: to me. I really don't like the other models.

Ironically I prefer the younger Morgan-esque :4robinm: with the default voice, lol. Looks so awkward in supports...:seuss:
Oddly, enough, Build 1 is the only one I haven't done with female Robin yet. I still like it, though, especially with the ponytail and that tiara eye set.

Not sure which is my favorite. I'm really growing to like young Robin, though, for both genders. Especially ginger Robin with pigtails and freckles. When I do the younger builds, though, I tend to prefer them with either the second gens or the younger first gens like Lissa or Donnel. Actually, on my Yarne/Robin run, I almost see Chrom more as a surrogate big brother to Robin more than anything (I see my original as his wife, obviously, and my male Robin as just his cool bro friend or something).

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Oddly, enough, Build 1 is the only one I haven't done with female Robin yet. I still like it, though, especially with the ponytail and that tiara eye set.

Not sure which is my favorite. I'm really growing to like young Robin, though, for both genders. Especially ginger Robin with pigtails and freckles. When I do the younger builds, though, I tend to prefer them with either the second gens or the younger first gens like Lissa or Donnel.
I wouldn't ever use young :4robinf:. I just...don't like it. Same goes for the adult versions of both.

That and regardless of build I'd never marry :4robinm: to anyone other than :4lucina:. Maybe I'd be a bit more lenient with :4robinf: if my objective wasn't getting Galeforce all the time, lol.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I loathe anime and everything about the art style, the tropes, and honestly I feel immensely out of place with its fans.
I would be hurt, but I can count the amount of anime series I like on one hand. :4dedede:

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I would be hurt, but I can count the amount of anime series I like on one hand. :4dedede:
Empty quote was empty :4dedede:

Tbh, I feel the same. I'm not into anime, so there's very few animes I truly like.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I never watched an anime in my life. So when people talk about them or reference them, I get lost.

Shaymikyu

I wouldn't ever use young :4robinf:. I just...don't like it. Same goes for the adult versions of both.

That and regardless of build I'd never marry :4robinm: to anyone other than :4lucina:. Maybe I'd be a bit more lenient with :4robinf: if my objective wasn't getting Galeforce all the time, lol.
I'm more picky with adult F!Robin's look. I have to get it just right. Young F!Robin I really only like that one look I mentioned. M!Robin as an adult amuses me, but it doesn't suit the character at all, or at least the way I see him.

I'm pretty lenient with the pairings in the game in general, though I do have my favorites.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
I never watched an anime in my life. So when people talk about them or reference them, I get lost.
I'm not an anime manic, but I still do enjoy a lot of them. Couldn't live without my daily dose of japanese crazy stuff.

But oh well, back to Fire Emblem & Smash. I can't help it, but I fear I'm better with robin than with any other character currently. It just comes natural to me what I have to do, I can "see" things, even if it's basically shulks gimmik!
How does it comes? Why is this damn tactican woman messing with me?

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869

First the whole Peach fiasco, now this?

This just keeps getting better and better.:troll:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I just rewatched the trailer and relived the hype. Very strange experience, I knew what would happen but had the same feelings when I first watched it, sans the confusion over the question mark in Lucina's annoucement.
Just that moment when Elwind hits: "Wait, could it be...?!"
Then Robin floating in the air: "HELL YEAH!"
:4robinm:: "It's going to be alright": "yesyesyesyesYesYesYesYesYESYESYESYES"
:4robinm:"TIME TO TIP THE SCALES!": "DAMN STRAIGHT!"

Just such a great series of scenes up to his announcement splash.

11/10, would tip scales again.
When I look back at that trailer, I guess most things that went there was confusion, suspense and perplexed surprise on seeing Robin being revealed, followed by awe when Robin showed off his tomes. That's kinda the part where I connected with him and my little pipe dream of playing as a mage-character (and getting a happy surprise of playing as my fave class in Awakening) in Smash: But most of all, he managed to bring Fire Emblem in the way truly was. I think it had me have vibes of times playing Awakening and then more fond ones of playing FE7.

However, since the ending of the trailer looked ambiguous back then, I thought we got all FE-reps from Awakening in Smash (I thought Chrom was playable too) and it felt like best day to be an FE-fan. However, after finding out that Chrom wasn't part of the crew and how internet plays it even today much to my dismay, I easily forgot those feelings due being actually bitter on inclusion of Robin because he caught me off-guard really hard as a silent Chrom-supporter and I never really took look into the tacticain that much until some time after the reveal. (though he felt seamless later due his personality traits feeling a lot like mine).

Myriad of feels, both happy and disappointed. I might say it's same even today sometimes? Perhaps because as this "badass" Smash-newcomer, Robin can feel at times foreign-ish to me due me having to know him real first time after the July 14th-reveal. I seem to prefer being with newcomers or characters I remember from the games I played and was lookin' forward to Smash, and well, Robin wasn't (at least in his default look) one at all.

On the other hand, when I imagine him as long-lost son of Female!Mark (FE7's Tactician) that's where I seem to start connect to him some more because I look back to times as being tactician myself, and how that continued on Awakening again. Robin tends to feel more like a part extracted from my memories and desires as an FE-fan this way.

I still like the character very much obviously, but at the end, I wonder when I'll ever be able to look back without feeling melancholy of sorts. It's like "bad times"-vibe memories that leave this stress still down ya if ya see stuff about that, ahahah.

Shaymikyu

As mentioned before, I had little familiarity with FE outside of SSB pre-Robin, so when he was revealed my reaction to the video was like this:
"Huh, who's this girl? I think she's from FE? She looks nice. Huh, who's this guy? Some sort of dark mage type? Ooh, cool robe. Wow, a magic user. I'll probably main him if Lucas doesn't come back... Oh, a gimmick? I hope I can adapt to it unlike PT's. Oh, Marth and Ike. Yeah, these are FE characters. So that guy on the ground is part of Robin's final smash? Wait, there's a girl Robin? Yeah, I need to find the game this character is from."

Shaymikyu

Oh, and also forgot one other reaction- "Wait, FE has magic users? It's not just a historical swordsman thing?"

D

Deleted member

Before Robin's day came, I made my first post in this thread the night before. I gave my support and I stated that I much, much rather have Robin than Chrom. I was expecting #MonadoMonday to happen and... I was shocked when I saw Awakening's art style! I thought, "Uhh... OK? I guess they're doing a Fire Emblem X Xenoblade thing soon?" Then Lucina, "Lucina? Oh... umm... OK." I saw Captain Falcon and I thought, "It's about time they show him off." Then Chrom was lying on the ground and I thought, "OK, he is going to get up soon and whatnot. *sigh*"
Then Robin used Elwind, and I thought it was Shulk using Monado Purge!; keep in mind that I didn't remember Elwind's animation from Awakening since I fast-forward the battles and I am used to the more powerful Tomes, like Rexcalibur. Then I saw Robin and I thought, "Wait... huh...? Is that... Robin?"
Robin: "It's going to be alright."
Me: "...!"
Robin: "TIME TO TIP THE SCALES!" "Robin brings the thunder!"
Me: "WHOA! I JUST SUPPORTED THIS GUY YESTERDAY! HAHAHA!"
I was really blown away by Robin's gimmick. It was so unique and so different. I was amazed by the way it was presented and Robin's gimmick looked very interesting. A character that has so many powerful projectiles and limited weapon usage? That's very different than what we've seen from Fire Emblem characters!
Then we see Chrom say, "I suppose I'll get my chance... another day." I laughed at that... and I still do especially when I don't like Chrom.
I felt very hyped from the trailer. So much so that I made my icon this:

And I listened to Id~Purpose for quite a while. That was truly an awesome day for me.

I beg to differ.
I find unlikely that you've never watched Pale Tuna's trailer.
Well of course I watched that... and the Kid Icarus anime. So, I guess that counts?

Top Bottom