• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm even more boring when it comes to marriages for Chrom. I always have him marry Sumia. xD

Anyway, I've been wondering, what is the title name reference? "High Deliverer." I don't get it.
Chrom marries Sumia if I am Male Robin. :shades:

I am not sure what it references to be honest. After using our trusty ally Google, I could only discern that it has something to do with Robin's ending.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
*cough*THARJA*cough*DOMESTIC ABUSER*cough*
Favorite Fire Emblem character is Lucia. I don't know why, but I just really like her. Maybe it's her role as a spy and the member of the Royal Guard, maybe it's her "loyalty" to Elincia and rejections to Bastian, maybe it's her "Treat everyone equally" attitude. Either way, she's very interesting.
Favorite Lord is DEFINITELY Seliph. Although technically he's a Junior Lord.
And I see someone else enjoyed Roxanne's redesign!

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Honestly, if you cannot use Elwind at all without tomes anymore, we might just get a small recovery in it's stead. Or, if what I think is correct, Robin's aerial Up-Smash might have some extra recovery.
I think this is one of the most exciting tradeoffs for overusing tomes too early and I doubt Sakurai and Namco would leave Robin with his/her pants down once the tomes are out of uses.
Well, unless it's female Robin Grandmaster.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I had a feeling this would end up turning into the official waifu thread. :troll:
Oh, who am I kidding, the whole Robin subforum will turn into that eventually.

Last edited:

M23-X0

Smash Journeyman
I don't speak japanese, and I don't know if someone else already posted that. This month's famitsu posted information on how Robin works, with exclusive images (and also for Lucina and Falcon).

It seems like that Nosferatu is explained, and the image with Zelda show how the books may word. Unfortunately, the pictures are too small... And it may be hard to translate.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
So after much review of the trailer and deliberation, I have come to this hypothesis:
Robin's Tomes will function similar to Olimar's Pikmin, in that they are 'summoned' via special, and then remain prevalent (Olimar's smashes, Robins jabs, tilts, grabs, etc.) until they expire (Pikmin by damage, Tomes through use.) At that point, Robin has to use another special to 'summon' a new tome.
I have a hard time believing that he'd be without a recovery, or hampered with a weaker one, for 'overusing' Elwind.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
I do not know if anyone has pointed this out yet, but I have reason to believe The Robins' standard attack (or "jab") changes based on what tome they are wielding. As most of you probably know by now, The Robins' tome changes based on what special move they use.

Check this out:

If you look closely, on the third and final blow of Male Robin's jab, he blows Captain Falcon away with a blast of fire. And as you can see, he is holding a fire tome.

Now, watch Robin's reveal trailer at 1:39. Whilst attacking Kirby, you will notice he is wielding a wind tome. He quickly slashes Kirby once with his Bronze Sword, repeatedly dices him with blades of wind, then finally blows Kirby into the air.

So, it looks like The Robins' "Fire Jab" is a short, strong combo, whilst their "Wind Jab" is a rapid attack (like Fox's and Sheik's). What could his "Thunder Jab" and "Dark Jab" be like? I cannot wait to find out.

Lastly, it is possible The Robins' tomes will weaken both when they perform a jab combo AND when they use a special attack.

What do you lot think?

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Forward air attack
When performing this move, if you were to smash the analog stick in the forward direction, Robin will attack with his Thunder Sword for additional electric damage. But like all of Robin's Thunder Sword attacks, you can only use the improved version a finite number of times.
So Robin has aerial smash attacks, albeit a limited number of them. That's different. And cool. It differentiates Robin from the other fighters even more.

Down+B: Nosferatu
Purple-black smog in the shape of a snake appears right in front of Robin when this move is used. If your opponent is hit by it, he or she will be "cursed" by the spell. When a cursed opponent is hit, Robin's health meter will recover. What's also interesting is that if the cursed opponent is struck from the back, the amount of health Robin recovers will be larger.
Limited range, but will recover your health and will recover even more if you get the opponent in the back. We still don't know if the opponent can escape from it or it has a set amount of attacks it will do before it releases the opponent or if you can throw them out of it at anytime.

Neutral B: Thunder
Hitting the button once will activate a charging period for Robin's Thunder spell, and hitting it again will cast it. The amount of time Robin charges will determine the version of the spell cast (Thunder, Elthunder, Giga Thunder, or Tron).

While charging, you can also hit the shield button to cancel the move and store the charge -- the next time you hit the B button, Robin will resume charging from wherever you left off previously.
So clicking it will start the charge period. This means we will need to double click it to get the very basic projectile out fast. However, the fact that the projectile acts differently depending on how charged it is makes it unique from Samus' and Lucario's Nspecial. Hopefully it will be eaily to tell which form of Thunder you will have while charging it.

Up+B: Elwind
When this special move is performed in the air, Robin produces two green projectiles that he sends flying downwards, which simultaneously propels him upwards. However, you can only use this move a limited number of times. Once you've exceeded the number of uses, Robin will not produce the projectiles or jump higher.
......Please be smart Sakurai. Please.

Side+B: Giga Fire
Robin produces a projectile that flies diagonally downwards. When the projectile comes into contat with the stage, an opponent, or an item, it will generate a pillar of fire that spreads upwards, and deal area damage to anyone nearby.
Sounds interesting. Hopefully you have moderate control over it so it isn't god awfully predicable.

I don't speak japanese, and I don't know if someone else already posted that. This month's famitsu posted information on how Robin works, with exclusive images (and also for Lucina and Falcon).

It seems like that Nosferatu is explained, and the image with Zelda show how the books may word. Unfortunately, the pictures are too small... And it may be hard to translate.
You should read the page before this one lol.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Elwind confirmed buzzkill. Two forced shots and is perishable? Lame.

But to more positive matters, Robin actually has "air smashes"? That's awesome! I wonder if using the C-Stick in the air will do a normal aerial, or a smash aerial.

U.N.Owen

Smash Cadet
Unfortunate? How? Lucina's mask is awesome!
He's speaking of Eventhubs comment section.

Elwind confirmed buzzkill. Two forced shots and is perishable? Lame.

But to more positive matters, Robin actually has "air smashes"? That's awesome! I wonder if using the C-Stick in the air will do a normal aerial, or a smash aerial.
Naaaah, it looks just like Pit's or Rob's Up+B, he can recover it by hitting the ground I think.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I'm even more boring when it comes to marriages for Chrom. I always have him marry Sumia. xD

Anyway, I've been wondering, what is the title name reference? "High Deliverer." I don't get it.
"High Deliverer" is Robin's title in the credits of the game. I wanted to use a title that referenced Robin, so I went on Serenes Forest and looked there.

If you have some suggestions for a new title, I'm all ears.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Here are my thouths on the Specials now that we got more info on them.
Forward air attack
When performing this move, if you were to smash the analog stick in the forward direction, Robin will attack with his Thunder Sword for additional electric damage. But like all of Robin's Thunder Sword attacks, you can only use the improved version a finite number of times.
So Robin has aerial smash attacks, albeit a limited number of them. That's different. And cool. It differentiates Robin from the other fighters even more.
Purple-black smog in the shape of a snake appears right in front of Robin when this move is used. If your opponent is hit by it, he or she will be "cursed" by the spell. When a cursed opponent is hit, Robin's health meter will recover. What's also interesting is that if the cursed opponent is struck from the back, the amount of health Robin recovers will be larger.
Limited range, but will recover your health and will recover even more if you get the opponent in the back. We still don't know if the opponent can escape from it or it has a set amount of attacks it will do before it releases the opponent or if you can throw them out of it at anytime.
Hitting the button once will activate a charging period for Robin's Thunder spell, and hitting it again will cast it. The amount of time Robin charges will determine the version of the spell cast (Thunder, Elthunder, Giga Thunder, or Tron).

While charging, you can also hit the shield button to cancel the move and store the charge -- the next time you hit the B button, Robin will resume charging from wherever you left off previously.
So clicking it will start the charge period. This means we will need to double click it to get the very basic projectile out fast. However, the fact that the projectile acts differently depending on how charged it is makes it unique from Samus' and Lucario's Nspecial. Hopefully it will be eaily to tell which form of Thunder you will have while charging it.
Up+B: Elwind
When this special move is performed in the air, Robin produces two green projectiles that he sends flying downwards, which simultaneously propels him upwards. However, you can only use this move a limited number of times. Once you've exceeded the number of uses, Robin will not produce the projectiles or jump higher.
......Please be smart Sakurai. Please.
Robin produces a projectile that flies diagonally downwards. When the projectile comes into contat with the stage, an opponent, or an item, it will generate a pillar of fire that spreads upwards, and deal area damage to anyone nearby.
Sounds interesting. Hopefully you have moderate control over it so it isn't god awfully predicable.

Last edited:

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
You know, guys... if we all keep posting in the social thread... people might, well, people might start to think.... we're friends.

Zephil

Smash Ace
I thought the same thing regarding the jab string changing depending of the tomb.

So we still have couple of questions regarding his/her moveset:

What´s the durability of the tombs? Will be the same for all of them?
How useless is Robin´s recovery after Elwind runs out?
Recovery time of the tombs.
Do the jab string/normals change depending of the tomb he is carrying?
How will Nosferatu work in the air?
Durability of the Levin Sword?
If he has aerial smash does that means that c-stick make these attacks automatically?
Will I have my Tharja taunt were she will be stalking me during all the match?

Last edited:

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
From what I've seen as new info today, this is what I think Robin will work like:

All tomes either share one durability pool OR are seperate but lower for each individual one. In either case, I don't think the recharge time will be dramaticly long. Keep in mind that even 10 seconds is a long time in an action oriented game like Smash.

Tomes, at least from the footage shown so far, seem to be really powerful as a tradeoff for being limited.

While you don't have specific Air Smash attacks like I originally thought, perfoming attacks midair like a Smash attack will use the Levin Sword instead of the Bronze Sword. This actually kind of bothers me, since it might lead to involuntarily using Levin Sword durability when you just wanted to hit you enemy normally. However, it also makes a lot more sense to keep the moveset streamlined.

The jab finisher is most likely determined by the tome currently held, though it might not make that much difference overall and be mainly a visual thing.

All attacks actively using tome durability are also specials, so the jab finisher might not even use them up but it may be weaker if you don't hold any tome at all.

The Bronze Sword, while significantly weaker than the Levin Sword, will not be total garbage so Robin is not completely effed once everything else is on cooldown.

Up B: Elwind (2 projectiles and amazing recovery)
Neutral B: Chargable - Thunder->Elthunder->Arcthunder->Thoron based on time charged
Side B: Arcfire
Down B: Nosferatu

I'd like to imagine that this actually seems rather reasonable power-wise while still being relatively streamlined.
And if the balance isn't up to snuff on release, we'll more than likely get patches to fix everything that is out of line, so I won't be worried about balance until Nintendo announces no further patches for Smash 4.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I'm actually worried about this.

The C-Stick is the superior method for using aerials because you can control your mobility in the air while using the C-Stick. But if you can't control what kind of attack you can do in the air with the C-stick... well it's going to be a damper anyway.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Just thought I'd make a comparison pic, now that we have an attack used with both Levin and Bronze.
robin.png

Oh yeah and in case there was still any doubt, the Bronze Sword glows when an attack is used. You can see it when Robin performs the thrust in the trailer. As he swings it, it turns bright blue and right after the apex of the thrust the glow disappears; I don't think this is an indicator of whether Robin's Levin Sword has regenerated or whatever.

Last edited:

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
Just thought I'd make a comparison pic, now that we have an attack used with both Levin and Bronze.
View attachment 18462

Oh yeah and in case there was still any doubt, the Bronze Sword glows when an attack is used. You can see it when Robin performs the thrust in the trailer. As he swings it, it turns bright blue and right after the apex of the thrust the glow disappears; I don't think this is an indicator of whether Robin's Levin Sword has regenerated or whatever.
hopefully its on the hud then or has some other way of telling

Random thought and while it probably unlikely its worth thinking about. In the translation of the scans only the up b is stated to have a limited number of uses so maybe its just saying it can use it more then once in a single jump. It just states that robin can no longer produce the projectiles and won't raise any higher, just food for thought

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
You know, guys... if we all keep posting in the social thread... people might, well, people might start to think.... we're friends.
But our bonds have already been strengthened since the beginning of speculation! We are all part of a greater whole, which overcame our so-called "destiny" and reached heights most support threads could only dream of. We're more than just friends, we are Tacticians.

Don't you remember what happened in Fire Emblem Awakening?

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
I'm actually worried about this.

The C-Stick is the superior method for using aerials because you can control your mobility in the air while using the C-Stick. But if you can't control what kind of attack you can do in the air with the C-stick... well it's going to be a damper anyway.
In previous games if you flick the C-Stick on the ground and simultaneously press and hold a button mapped to Attack, you normally started charging the C-Sticked Smash Attack right? Hopefully not-quite-Based Sakurai will have made it so that a C-Stick does an aerial as normal, whilst C-Stick + Attack performs a Smash Aerial.

Last edited:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
That is a horrible closed-minded way of thinking, friend.

Would you accept me referring to Florina as my fly-fu?

XTheElegantShadowX

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3625-7979-8675
Hey guys look!

And the information from both these pages:

Lucina was originally included as a Marth skin.
"A certain character” was cut during development. (Chrom? Who knows. It's not clarified.)
Sakurai didn’t want to reduce the total number of characters.
It wasn’t possible to make a brand new character on short notice.
Lucina was repurposed into her own character slot to fill the void.

Lucina can mask on/off with a taunt, like Guile

Reverse Falcon Punch is back and does more damage if reverse

Robin's Forward Smash
This move strikes your opponent with Robin's Thunder Sword. However, as you can only use Robin's Thunder Sword attacks a certain number of times, once you've run out of uses, this attack will hit with a regular bronze sword instead.

Forward air attack

Hitting the button once will activate a charging period for Robin's Thunder spell, and hitting it again will cast it. The amount of time Robin charges will determine the version of the spell cast (Thunder, L Thunder, Giga Thunder, or Tron).

Up+B: L Wind

Not sure if this was already posted. I got it from the Pic of the Day Comments.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
The jab finisher is most likely determined by the tome currently held, though it might not make that much difference overall and be mainly a visual thing.
The wind variant seems pretty different. Multihit.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Btw, the whole "character cut in development" has been indicated to be a mistranslation.

Yup, confirmed that other tomes can break. Not confirmed for fire and dark yet, but I doubt they've been left out. Either way, Levin Sword recharges, I'm sure the tomes do, too. My guess is they have lower durability than in the games but they recharge quicker.

itsameluigi1290

Smash Journeyman
NNID
luigitime1290
Yeah, Jaidyn's right, I posted a mistranslation on that cut character part.

Anyway, different jabs depending on which Tome he has is pretty awesome. I too wonder what Lightning and Dark jabs he has.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
The wind variant seems pretty different. Multihit.
While a multihit is pretty much different in a team match/item situation, in a one on one it might still lead to the same amount of damage and knockback.
There's a reason why I said "might not make much difference overall".

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
Well, I still don't think we know what grounded Elwind does. Perhaps he jumps in the air and then shoots the projectiles, assuming he hasn't surpassed the number of uses?

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
While a multihit is pretty much different in a team match/item situation, in a one on one it might still lead to the same amount of damage and knockback.
There's a reason why I said "might not make much difference overall".
Well it DOES have a noticeably more vertical trajectory.
jab.png

Last edited:

Backgammon

Click clack.
NNID
BluePapaya
The questions!

1) Nephenee, with Lyn taking a close second. Vika takes honourable mention.
2) Favourite blue haired Lord is Hector.

1) Favourite class for Robin is an Assassin. I like Assassins. I'd have a full army of Assassins if I could. (Oh, wait. I can.)
2) My Robin has only ever been married to Cordelia and Gaius..
3) Sully. She's amazing.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Well it DOES have a noticeably more vertical trajectory.
So apparently you make a post you have spent a reasonable amount of time writing and thought about for quite a while, and people get hung up on one of the two things you admit you can't really tell.

The internet is weird. :D

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
I really really hope there's a manual drop/new tome command for Robin. Not having an Up B could kill him (both in game and in terms of character strength)

At least I hope El Wind has a large amount of uses and is regenerated on death.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I do not know if anyone has pointed this out yet, but I have reason to believe The Robins' standard attack (or "jab") changes based on what tome they are wielding. As most of you probably know by now, The Robins' tome changes based on what special move they use.

Check this out:

If you look closely, on the third and final blow of Male Robin's jab, he blows Captain Falcon away with a blast of fire. And as you can see, he is holding a fire tome.

Now, watch Robin's reveal trailer at 1:39. Whilst attacking Kirby, you will notice he is wielding a wind tome. He quickly slashes Kirby once with his Bronze Sword, repeatedly dices him with blades of wind, then finally blows Kirby into the air.

So, it looks like The Robins' "Fire Jab" is a short, strong combo, whilst their "Wind Jab" is a rapid attack (like Fox's and Sheik's). What could his "Thunder Jab" and "Dark Jab" be like? I cannot wait to find out.

Lastly, it is possible The Robins' tomes will weaken both when they perform a jab combo AND when they use a special attack.

What do you lot think?
Yup. Basically what a few others and I thought a few pages back.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
I really really hope there's a manual drop/new tome command for Robin. Not having an Up B could kill him (both in game and in terms of character strength)

At least I hope El Wind has a large amount of uses and is regenerated on death.
i have a feeling nothing is gone for good or even til a lose of stock. I just think tomes like the levin sword will regen

Top Bottom