• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I'm guessing it a charged up Thunder attack.

It seems like you can charge up Thunder attack, I'm guessing a quick press gives you the small bolts we saw in the video and holding it will charge the book up to do a more powerful Thunder attack like Arcthunder or Thoron.

I think the one in the pic might be Arcthunder before it hits someone.
Eh, the coloring is either off in the scan or the 3DS version. It's far too yellow. In the video Elthunder was golden while Arcthunder was gold with some purple. But, I figured it out, it just looked weird. Perhaps it is a clash effect that is making the attack brighter?

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
So guys, apparently Chrom was meant to be a character before Lucina, and paired up with Robin at that. You know what that means? Robin was planned from the start! <3
That is purely speculation. There is no proof that Chrom is the cut character.

A different translation of what I am pretty sure you are talking about is this;

A different translation from a NeoGaf user that was posted on the Lucina general discussion thread here:

"Originally Lucina was a Marth color variation because they're related characters. The have different names and voices but play the same, and would receive treatment similar to male/female WFT, Villager and Robin. However, while Lucina's fighting style is the same, she has different characteristics. Because there's only a small difference, she would be a convenient additional character. This made her a lucky newcomer pick."
But remember, speculation =/= fact.

sunfallSeraph

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5155-4095-3556
So guys, apparently Chrom was meant to be a character before Lucina, and paired up with Robin at that. You know what that means? Robin was planned from the start! <3
Was there an official source for this info? >:?

Edit:
:4greninja:'d

Last edited:

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Yeah it basically says...

"You fire two projectiles almost straight down while in the air. While doing so the great recoil will make Robin jump in the air. If this attack has been used up the projectile can't be fired and he won't jump." Or something like that.
Oh okay. Darn the semantics haha. So the wind tomes also has limited uses? This raises so many questions. Like how fast can you regenerate them.. once per stock seems a bit insane.

Last edited:

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
ALSO! down b curses the opponent!

" When a cursed opponent is hit, Robin's health meter will recover. What's also interesting is that if the cursed opponent is struck from the back, the amount of health Robin recovers will be larger."

SO COOL!!!!
I do like that back stab mechanic.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
Are you referring to that scan that was mistranslated? It said nothing about Chrom being cut for Lucina, just that Lucina started out as a Marth alt before being made her own character.

Edit: Also :4greninja:'d.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Yeah it basically says...

"You fire two projectiles almost straight down while in the air. While doing so the great recoil will make Robin jump in the air. If this attack has been used up the projectile can't be fired and he won't jump." Or something like that.
Does that mean you can use the Up Special multiple times in the air?

Hokori

Great King of Evil
After having read the last few pages and everything new we've learned; I'm even more excited, if that's possible.
Very possible. Each day so far has been better than the last speculating Robin's moveset. We've already had quality, constructive discussion for 18 pages.

Chauzu

Smash Ace
Does that mean you can use the Up Special multiple times in the air?
It doesn't mention that, but it debunks the theory that the Up-B is a single jump that can be used multiple times - it explicity states that you fire two shots down.

Oh okay. Darn the semantics haha. So the wind tomes also has limited uses? This raises so many questions. Like how fast can you regenerate them.. once per stock seems a bit insane.
Edited to my old post that they mention a way to recover Levin Sword / tomes. Didn't understand the context but my personal guess is when you lose a stock.

Last edited:

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Edited to my old post that they mention a way to recover Levin Sword / tomes. Didn't understand the context but my personal guess is when you lose a stock.
That would be pretty crazy. So if that's the case, we can't just spam most (if not all) of our tome spells/special attacks, and have to use them wisely. Tricky tricky tricky..

Though I personally think it's just a cooldown, that would be horrendous for 1 vs 1 fights.. would make Robin completely underpowered..

Last edited:

Senario

Smash Ace
Ok, some tidbits from the Famitsu pic:

- It says that the forward smash with the Levin sword deals "electric damage" as well
- Forward-B, Arc Fire, is a projectile fired forward at an angle that is activated when it hits the ground, an opponent or an item
- The recovery is like we've seen in the trailer, with two winds fired down and shooting Robin up - it also says that if you run out of uses nothing will happen if Robin try to use it
- Neutral B, the Thunder, works like we've been thinking. You cycle through the moves by pressing B, and when you press B again you fire. They also added though that if you press the shield button you can save your current cycle to use later.

Edit: they also mention that the Levin Sword and the tomes have a "limited amount of uses" and that when used up won't be useable again for sometime. They also mention a way to "recover" the lost ability, but I don't understand the context for it - my japanese doesn't cover it lol. But something like it recovering when you get hit / miss / die or such. Somebody else will need to confirm.
That...sounds bad...No recovery if you run out of wind uses? That would make him the only character in the game that loses his third jump through up B. Wish you could fire only one at a time for conservation of uses. I wonder how many uses he has though and if the uses reset on death. If he had maybe 5-10 uses per life (assuming each up b uses one use) it wouldn't be a problem but design wise it just seems like unless you make his character significantly more powerful there is no reason he should be the only character to lose his up b simply because he used it a little.

Chauzu

Smash Ace
That would be pretty crazy. So if that's the case, we can't just spam most (if not all) of our tome spells/special attacks, and have to use them wisely. Tricky tricky tricky..
Just to add that they do confirm that you will recover the Levin sword / tomes after a certain amount of time but that there is a way beside that to recover them (and my interpretion there was when you lose stock).

Just so there's no misunderstanding. ;)

That...sounds bad...No recovery if you run out of wind uses? That would make him the only character in the game that loses his third jump through up B. Wish you could fire only one at a time for conservation of uses. I wonder how many uses he has though and if the uses reset on death. If he had maybe 5-10 uses per life (assuming each up b uses one use) it wouldn't be a problem but design wise it just seems like unless you make his character significantly more powerful there is no reason he should be the only character to lose his up b simply because he used it a little.
Unfortunately the article doesn't discuss how many uses tomes / Levin sword has at all. :(

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
@ Chauzu Chauzu 's mention of "recovering" the lost ability with something like "hit" reminds me when enemies would occasionally drop weapons in Fire Emblem upon defeat. So in this case, the more hits you land, "recovery" time is decreased.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
That's why I'm thinking that part was just semantics. And what they actually meant was you can only use it once or twice then you fall, instead of actually losing your Up B.

sunfallSeraph

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5155-4095-3556
It sounds like a lot of Robin's game is going to revolve around controlling center stage and defending herself against being pressured offstage; also, recovering successfully on the first attempt is going to be crucial for conserving Elwind uses. The last thing you're going to want is to be edgeguarded repeatedly; fortunately, the new ledge mechanics look to be in our favor. If the translations thus far are accurate, and tomes do indeed regenerate based on time rather than stock, we're also going to need to develop good stall tactics for when we do run out of recoveries.

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
Hello my fellow tacticians.
1. Who is your favorite FE character?
Robin
2. Who is your favorite blue-haired lord?
Ike
3. What FE weapon is your favorite?
Nosferatu
4. If Robin could wield any weapon in Smash, what would you choose?
Levin Sword
5. What is your favorite class for Robin?
Grandmaster
6. What is your favorite marriage partner for Robin/favorite support conversations?
For male: Cordelia, for female: Gaius
7. What is your favorite parent for Morgan?
Everyone but Robin is exactly the same. It makes no difference.

Chauzu

Smash Ace
That's why I'm thinking that part was just semantics. And what they actually meant was you can only use it once or twice then you fall, instead of actually losing your Up B.
Sorry to say but in this case the text is very clear that you actually lose the Up-B. I've read the text several times and there is just no room for doubt, unfortunately. It explicity states that in the case of the up-b not having anymore uses you won't be able to fire of the projectile and thus not jump.

My japanese isn't the best but in this case I'm very confident. ;)

@ Chauzu Chauzu 's mention of "recovering" the lost ability with something like "hit" reminds me when enemies would occasionally drop weapons in Fire Emblem upon defeat. So in this case, the more hits you land, "recovery" time is decreased.
That's not the case, sorry. The word in question here is ミス, which is basically just the english word "miss". So it depends on the context of miss, and how they use it here. I just have no idea.

Last edited:

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Sorry to say but in this case the text is very clear that you actually lose the Up-B. I've read the text several times and there is just no room for doubt, unfortunately. It explicity states that in the case of the up-b not having anymore uses you won't be able to fire of the projectile and thus not jump.

My japanese isn't the best but in this case I'm very confident. ;)
Ah, thanks for clearing that up! Well then, we all need to be sharp when playing Robin then. I wonder how many of us are actually that detail-oriented to main Robin successfully and effectively? I know this is definitely the type of gameplay I love!

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
perhaps that animation we see where robin is throwing away her tomb is the way to "recharge"

I do not know what would activate it.. maybe a taunt (perhaps that, the page flipping animation, and the "look, heres my book" thing labeled as a taunt right now are all the same reallly long reload taunt animation...)

Folt

Smash Ace
I completely skipped these questions:

1. What FE weapon is your favorite?
2. If Robin could wield any weapon in Smash, what would you choose?

So here are my answers:

1. Nosferatu, though I'm very fond of Goetia's animation.
2. Well, Nosferatu is already in, but I would have loved to see Male Robin use a Bolt Axe alongside his tomes, actually.

Also, one more question:

What is your favorite weapon type in the Fire Emblem series?

And my answer to that one:

Magic, especially lightning and dark magic. Axes are a close second though.

Folt

Smash Ace
Robin sounds way more like how I'd think a potential Black Mage would play as if they made it into Smash, with the possibility of running out of "MP" and having to recharge it while using a staff or rod as an emergency weapon, except that in Robin's case it's his weapons that run out and he must wait for them to regenerate.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
perhaps that animation we see where robin is throwing away her tomb is the way to "recharge"

I do not know what would activate it.. maybe a taunt (perhaps that, the page flipping animation, and the "look, heres my book" thing labeled as a taunt right now are all the same reallly long reload taunt animation...)
I think that's the animation that would happen if you run out of charges/uses and you try using your tome again (mainly because you see Robin just standing there as it discards, instead of right after an attack.) If the tomes don't regenerate via cool down, I can see them being charged back up (or rather, re-summoned) either by attacking or what you mentioned with the taunts. I just can't see the whole Popo/Nana situation where if you lose an Ice Climber you have to wait until you re-stock to get your partner back. Well actually, I can, I just don't want that to be the case lol. That would be a bit unfair, but I guess it depends how effective Robin is without (most or all of) his special attacks.

Although let's all remind ourselves that we haven't seen Robin fighting without a tome.

Last edited:

Sayjin

Smash Journeyman
Unless there's like, 35 uses like in Awakening itself, Elwind better restock on more than just death. Otherwise this makes me lose quite a bit of hype for Robin.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
I think that's the animation that would happen if you run out of charges/uses and you try using your tome again (mainly because you see Robin just standing there as it discards, instead of right after an attack.) If the tomes don't regenerate via cool down, I can see them being charged back up (or rather, re-summoned) either by attacking or what you mentioned with the taunts. I just can't see the whole Popo/Nana situation where if you lose an Ice Climber you have to wait until you re-stock to get your partner back. Well actually, I can, I just don't want that to be the case lol. That would be a bit unfair, but I guess it depends how effective Robin is without (most or all of) his special attacks.

Although let's all remind ourselves that we haven't seen Robin fighting without a tome.
yeah i just don't see an ic case here, while weaker at least when nana is gone you can still use specials, if its the same for robin then having no specials at all would gimp him too much imo to be a fun character to play

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Hell, even when Nana is gone, Popo still gets some upward distance. It's negligible, but it's something. It would likely be like that.

U.N.Owen

Smash Cadet

So new info's were leaked by the last Famitsu:

Robin's Forward Smash
This move strikes your opponent with Robin's Thunder Sword. However, as you can only use Robin's Thunder Sword attacks a certain number of times, once you've run out of uses, this attack will hit with a regular bronze sword instead.

Forward air attack
When performing this move, if you were to smash the analog stick in the forward direction, Robin will attack with his Thunder Sword for additional electric damage. But like all of Robin's Thunder Sword attacks, you can only use the improved version a finite number of times.

Down+B: Nosferatu
Purple-black smog in the shape of a snake appears right in front of Robin when this move is used. If your opponent is hit by it, he or she will be "cursed" by the spell. When a cursed opponent is hit, Robin's health meter will recover. What's also interesting is that if the cursed opponent is struck from the back, the amount of health Robin recovers will be larger.

Neutral B: Thunder
Hitting the button once will activate a charging period for Robin's Thunder spell, and hitting it again will cast it. The amount of time Robin charges will determine the version of the spell cast (Thunder, Elthunder, Giga Thunder, or Tron).

While charging, you can also hit the shield button to cancel the move and store the charge -- the next time you hit the B button, Robin will resume charging from wherever you left off previously.

Up+B: Elwind
When this special move is performed in the air, Robin produces two green projectiles that he sends flying downwards, which simultaneously propels him upwards. However, you can only use this move a limited number of times. Once you've exceeded the number of uses, Robin will not produce the projectiles or jump higher.

Side+B: Giga Fire
Robin produces a projectile that flies diagonally downwards. When the projectile comes into contat with the stage, an opponent, or an item, it will generate a pillar of fire that spreads upwards, and deal area damage to anyone nearby.

Source: Eventhubs

Also with new info's about Lucina (She apparently start with the mask and she can remove/put it back with a taunt Guile style, and the already known info Sakurai gave us)

Gigawattz

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1478-3568-2454
Really hoping that these tomes don't end up breaking Robin as a good fighter. I'm leaning towards the idea that you will get tomes back after a while when you lose them, I would be fine with losing my recovery as long as it comes back over time. If we do end up only getting 1 tome per stock, they need to make these things last as long as they do in the actual games, like 25-35 uses.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
You should have no reason to use UpB beyond recovering anyway. Robin is sent too high up after the second gust for any kind of followup should one of the gusts actually hit someone.

If the developers were keen enough to designate between ELwind and ARCfire, and bunch all the Thunder attacks into a single attack and assign them in the correct order, I doubt they would not be aware of how many uses Elwind has in comparison to other tomes. He should have enough uses in the tome for about 15 uses per tome/stock.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Unless there's like, 35 uses like in Awakening itself, Elwind better restock on more than just death. Otherwise this makes me lose quite a bit of hype for Robin.
yeah i just don't see an ic case here, while weaker at least when nana is gone you can still use specials, if its the same for robin then having no specials at all would gimp him too much imo to be a fun character to play
In that scenario, I think it would make Robin even more interesting to play. You have to manage how much you use your B specials and when they run out you're left with your mastery of melee, so you have to be both smart and have a mastery of both melee and ranged attacks. It would make more sense though if you can respawn the tomes on command instead of death. So far we haven't seen an Ice Climber type character. Even Luma is respawnable, same with Little Mac's KO move. I'd like to think the tomes would be easily respawned.

Morbi

Scavenger

So new info's were leaked by the last Famitsu:

Robin's Forward Smash
This move strikes your opponent with Robin's Thunder Sword. However, as you can only use Robin's Thunder Sword attacks a certain number of times, once you've run out of uses, this attack will hit with a regular bronze sword instead.

Forward air attack
When performing this move, if you were to smash the analog stick in the forward direction, Robin will attack with his Thunder Sword for additional electric damage. But like all of Robin's Thunder Sword attacks, you can only use the improved version a finite number of times.

Down+B: Nosferatu
Purple-black smog in the shape of a snake appears right in front of Robin when this move is used. If your opponent is hit by it, he or she will be "cursed" by the spell. When a cursed opponent is hit, Robin's health meter will recover. What's also interesting is that if the cursed opponent is struck from the back, the amount of health Robin recovers will be larger.

Neutral B: Thunder
Hitting the button once will activate a charging period for Robin's Thunder spell, and hitting it again will cast it. The amount of time Robin charges will determine the version of the spell cast (Thunder, Elthunder, Giga Thunder, or Tron).

While charging, you can also hit the shield button to cancel the move and store the charge -- the next time you hit the B button, Robin will resume charging from wherever you left off previously.

Up+B: Elwind
When this special move is performed in the air, Robin produces two green projectiles that he sends flying downwards, which simultaneously propels him upwards. However, you can only use this move a limited number of times. Once you've exceeded the number of uses, Robin will not produce the projectiles or jump higher.

Side+B: Giga Fire
Robin produces a projectile that flies diagonally downwards. When the projectile comes into contat with the stage, an opponent, or an item, it will generate a pillar of fire that spreads upwards, and deal area damage to anyone nearby.

Source: Eventhubs

Also with new info's about Lucina (She apparently start with the mask and she can remove/put it back with a taunt Guile style, and the already known info Sakurai gave us)
Honestly, the Robin news was appreciated, but no one really cares because they confirmed a Guile taunt for Lucina. Unfortunate.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
My marriage partners are "boring," I always marry Female Robin to Chrom and Male Robin to Lucina. The shipping war starts after that.
I'm even more boring when it comes to marriages for Chrom. I always have him marry Sumia. xD

Anyway, I've been wondering, what is the title name reference? "High Deliverer." I don't get it.

Top Bottom