• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Well, I still don't think we know what grounded Elwind does. Perhaps he jumps in the air and then shoots the projectiles, assuming he hasn't surpassed the number of uses?
I wouldn't be surprised if it's just the same animation. As soon as you press Up B you point down with an open hand and it lifts you up with Elwind. I do wonder if you get damaged if you're near him while Robin activates it.

i have a feeling nothing is gone for good or even til a lose of stock. I just think tomes like the levin sword will regen
I second that.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
I wouldn't be surprised if it's just the same animation. As soon as you press Up B you point down with an open hand and it lifts you up with Elwind. I do wonder if you get damaged if you're near him while Robin activates it.

I second that.
Depends how fast it regenerates though. Given it's an Up B, it better be darn fast.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
No, I think its different. What may happen is Elwind shoots to the side now. Keep in mind, Donkey Kong. His recovery on the ground now spins in FRONT of him. I think most characters will have new animations for when a recovery activates on the ground, Robin included.

Also, I don't think that standard attacks will affect a tome's durability.

Depends how fast it regenerates though. Given it's an Up B, it better be darn fast.
My guess would be about 10 seconds. Its enough to hurt if you mess up, but not enough to cause serious problems.

EDIT: If its longer, maybe Robin can get an extra taunt that throws the book? Lucina is confirmed to have a taunt to put on and take off her mask.

Last edited:

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Robin's playstyle sounds by far very complex. I have a feeling he'll be one of those "Difficult, but Awesome" kind of characters. I like the sound of that.

I wonder if Sakurai will explain more on how the tomes work, no wait, he has to. It's a crucial part of Robin's mechanics.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
I really hope that all tomes are regenerated after death.

Also, I could imagine that in team battles, Robin can hold a character down with Nosferatu while his teammate goes to town. Maybe Fox or Falco could shoot lasers at the trapped opponent.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Sweet, chargeable Thunder spells, and you can save it for later.

This is definitely going to be very useful, thanks for the post! (Also Giga Fire is Japan's Arcfire.)

Neo Zero

Robin's playstyle sounds by far very complex. I have a feeling he'll be one of those "Difficult, but Awesome" kind of characters. I like the sound of that.

I wonder if Sakurai will explain more on how the tomes work, no wait, he has to. It's a crucial part of Robin's mechanics.
Pokemon Trainer sounded like a Difficult but Awesome character and look what happened to him. Thus why I'm worried about his recovery situation atm.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Pokemon Trainer sounded like a Difficult but Awesome character and look what happened to him. Thus why I'm worried about his recovery situation atm.
I don't let that stop me from enjoying a character whose mechanics are appealing to me. But it's very soon to be saying Robin will turn out bad.

D

Deleted member

So after much review of the trailer and deliberation, I have come to this hypothesis:
Robin's Tomes will function similar to Olimar's Pikmin, in that they are 'summoned' via special, and then remain prevalent (Olimar's smashes, Robins jabs, tilts, grabs, etc.) until they expire (Pikmin by damage, Tomes through use.) At that point, Robin has to use another special to 'summon' a new tome.
I have a hard time believing that he'd be without a recovery, or hampered with a weaker one, for 'overusing' Elwind.
To paraphrase what I wrote in the Analysis thread, I think that Robin's tomes will be used until they "break" at which point they will act similar to Rosalina's Luma, Wario's Bike (when destroyed), R.O.B.'s Gyroid, etc. in that they will be unavailable for a short amount of time after their "break" point, but will come back naturally after this short time period.

Limited range, but will recover your health and will recover even more if you get the opponent in the back. We still don't know if the opponent can escape from it or it has a set amount of attacks it will do before it releases the opponent or if you can throw them out of it at anytime.
To paraphrase another of my posts in the Analysis thread, I believe that Robin's Nosferatu Command Grab may function much in the same way that Wario's N-B does. That is, with repeated taps of the B Button, Robin can drain away/recover more health (with a limit existing like Wario's N-B, where he throws the opponent away after a certain number of B Button taps). Also like Wario's N-B, the opponent can mash out of this move after a short period of time. Palutena in the trailer simply didn't mash out for the sake of showcasing the move.

This is what I'm thinking for her tomes and Nosferatu, at least.

As for telling the difference between the tiers of her Thunder Tome charge, I don't have any ideas yet, however we do know that the symbol on the tome changes as Robin charges up the Tome to Thoron (and reverts back to the Thunder symbol once Thoron is used.).

Last edited by a moderator:

Neo Zero

I don't let that stop me from enjoying a character whose mechanics are appealing to me. But it's very soon to be saying Robin will turn out bad.
Worrying=/=Saying he's bottom tier

I do have to concede though, Robin looks to be the most interesting newcomer by far after all we've learned : )

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I really hope that all tomes are regenerated after death.

Also, I could imagine that in team battles, Robin can hold a character down with Nosferatu while his teammate goes to town. Maybe Fox or Falco could shoot lasers at the trapped opponent.
Undoubtedly all tomes will regenerate after death. I don't know why anyone even thinks they won't. It doesn't even look like tomes will be permanently gone until death, either.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
No, I think its different. What may happen is Elwind shoots to the side now. Keep in mind, Donkey Kong. His recovery on the ground now spins in FRONT of him. I think most characters will have new animations for when a recovery activates on the ground, Robin included.

Also, I don't think that standard attacks will affect a tome's durability.
Donkey Kong? Didn't he always do the front spin?

I can see the side attack happening if I'm envisioning the same thing you are lol, but it would seem odd for an Up B considering how most characters have an upwards moving Up B when performed on the ground. It makes sense for Donkey Kong given how he can glide a bit if he does it on the ground and off a cliff at least. Were you referring to the wind attacks being used on Kirby?

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
So I went and tested my Elwind and Arcfire theory by checking the respective attacks in Awakening, to see if they were consistent with the source material.

Elwind actually matched up with it's Smash iteration, aesthetically. It's a single large streak of wind. Smash Elwind does fire two Winds though, but that can be as much a reference to Double Attack as it could just be creative liberty.

Awakening Arcfire is nothing at all like Smash Arcfire though. In fact, it's a slightly more faithful Smash Thoron than Awakening Thoron is. The closest attack in Awakening that resembles Smash Arcfire is Micaiah's Pyre. They both summon a fireball that, when it hits the ground, creates a pillar of fire that stays for a few moments.

A.Thunder resembles Smash Arcthunder the most. A.Elthunder and A/Arcthunder look nothing like their Smash counterparts. A.Thoron does look like Smash Thoron, but the streak of lightning is much thinner. A.Arcfire has a larger radius that matches Smash Thoron.

Smash Nosferatu resembles Awakening's Waste the most.

So Smash Elwind matches Awakening Elwind as far as looks, but that's it. Everything else resembles another tome attack in Awakening.

The reason I tested them was to see if the devs calling them ElWind and ArcFire were because they did indeed match the animations used in Awakening, or if they are aware of the power scale of the attacks in Fire Emblem, and named them thus to hint at the respective tomes' durability in Smash. From what I found, it seems to be the latter.

Elwind will have a lot of uses before it's discarded, more than Arcfire and Nosferatu will. So I don't think we need to worry about Elwind having like 10 uses or something.

Last edited:

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Worrying=/=Saying he's bottom tier

I do have to concede though, Robin looks to be the most interesting newcomer by far after all we've learned : )
Still, we should just dedicate ourselves to doing what we can.

It's exactly because of that why I'm so enthusiastic for Robin, also because I just loved the Avatar feature in Fire Emblem: Awakening. Like I said before, I seriously hope to see more of it in future FE games.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
While a multihit is pretty much different in a team match/item situation, in a one on one it might still lead to the same amount of damage and knockback.
There's a reason why I said "might not make much difference overall".
I wasn't sure if you noticed it, so I mentioned it.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Donkey Kong? Didn't he always do the front spin?

I can see the side attack happening if I'm envisioning the same thing you are lol, but it would seem odd for an Up B considering how most characters have an upwards moving Up B when performed on the ground. It makes sense for Donkey Kong given how he can glide a bit if he does it on the ground and off a cliff at least. Were you referring to the wind attacks being used on Kirby?
No, Donkey Kong always just did the exact same animation but on the ground. Now his animation changes completely to attack in front of him. The difference with most characters is that their recoveries attack upwards, Robin's attacking down is kinda impossible when on the ground.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I really really hope there's a manual drop/new tome command for Robin. Not having an Up B could kill him (both in game and in terms of character strength)

At least I hope El Wind has a large amount of uses and is regenerated on death.
I'm positive that tomes and Levin Sword uses will regenerate after a stock is lost. That's how every other character with a similar mechanic (Ice Climbers, Rosalina and Luma) have worked before. If that's not the case, then Robin probably has a way of regenerating them manually.

Anyway, looking over all these discoveries is making me really excited for Robin as a fighter. It sounds like he/she'll be a really versatile, tactical fighter. And that's awesome.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
It's crazy how I had little to no support for Robin because I never cared for him, but now I'm here analyzing his moveset and planning on maining him in the full game.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
It's crazy how I had little to no support for Robin because I never cared for him, but now I'm here analyzing his moveset and planning on maining him in the full game.
Hey, I felt the same way for the Wii Fit Trainer at first, but now I'm also looking to play forward as her/him. This entry of Smash Bros has by far the most innovative and interesting cast in the series.

itsameluigi1290

Smash Journeyman
NNID
luigitime1290
Heh, I've wanted him from the very beginning (or at least, when I first played Awakening).

As for a different animation for his grounded Up B... I'm gonna echo Jaidyn and say Robin will fly upwards, as the Elwind goes off to the sides. I think it might curve a bit too.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I plan on maining HER but to each their own. :D

Now I'm thinking about temporarily switching my Avatar to female Robin.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
1. Who is your favorite FE character?

Robin, but Cynthia comes in a close second.

2. Who is your favorite blue-haired lord?

Ike

3. What FE weapon is your favorite?

Magic, specifically light magic.

4. If Robin could wield any weapon in Smash, what would you choose?

I like Robin just the way she is

5. What is your favorite class for Robin?

Grandmaster

6. What is your favorite marriage partner for Robin/favorite support conversations?

Chrom

7. What is your favorite parent for Morgan?
Chrom

Last edited:

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
I plan on maining HER but to each their own. :D

Now I'm thinking about temporarily switching my Avatar to female Robin.
The only reason I say him a lot is because when it showed the "Robin brings the thunder!" screen it was male Robin. If it was the female Robin I would be saying her a lot.

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
Why do people keep worrying things are going to be horribly flawed? I'm sure there is a perfectly fine balancing mechanic for elwind as a recovery.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Well I hate to be that guy, but amid all that confusion about how he seemed to be Olimar with books and other such theories, I totally called that his books were just his 4 specials >.>

Morbi

Scavenger
Well I hate to be that guy, but amid all that confusion about how he seemed to be Olimar with books and other such theories, I totally called that his books were just his 4 specials >.>
I would have agreed, but that statement in the trailer made it sound as though we were going to have a limited number of tomes. I suppose we technically have a limited number of her most important tome, Elwind.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I would have agreed, but that statement in the trailer made it sound as though we were going to have a limited number of tomes. I suppose we technically have a limited number of her most important tome, Elwind.
I may be misunderstanding, but I'm fairly certain the limited uses apply to all her tomes. I think that the article only mentioned that one because it's the biggest deal.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I'm pretty sure they're all limited, and I just figured it meant that you only get x uses of each special. If ONLY Elwind is limited... that's a bummer haha.

U.N.Owen

Smash Cadet
Well of what we know, the only "limited" move that he have is his Elwind(Rob/Pit Up+B limited thought apparently) and his Levin Sword. The "I can use the so many times, this is why I have my Levin sword" thing is just a (bad) way to tell us that is not just some Magic User. The "Lol Didn't Read" is probably just a taunt.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Why do people keep worrying things are going to be horribly flawed? I'm sure there is a perfectly fine balancing mechanic for elwind as a recovery.
It's what we do. Half the posts about newcomers are either "So OP!" or "Seems bad."

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
There are still quite a few things I want to know.

Does each tome have its own individual number of uses for Smash?

Will Robin automatically ditch a tome after its been used up? Will the game notify us once a tome has exceeded its uses?

If you miss an attack with the Levin Sword, does it still count as a use?

Will your jab combo count towards your uses? Is it a simple sword combo if you run out of all of your tomes?

Does Robin always need to have a tome in his hand?

Does Robin have the ability to hover or float in the game?

Will the tome you currently have affect Robin's pummel and throws?

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I wonder if the whole idea behind tomes breaking is because otherwise she'd be a tremendously spammy character.

After all, those look like really versatile projectiles.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
In previous games if you flick the C-Stick on the ground and simultaneously press and hold a button mapped to Attack, you normally started charging the C-Sticked Smash Attack right? Hopefully not-quite-Based Sakurai will have made it so that a C-Stick does an aerial as normal, whilst C-Stick + Attack performs a Smash Aerial.
The C-Stick in this game is different, though. It charges if you hold it (with no control stick input) and smashes when it's let go. Flicking still provides a quick Smash. I don't know what the means for Robin's Aerials or if that's a Pro Controller only feature, though.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
In the video, Robin said he had limited uses of tomes and was shown throwing away a Thunder tome.

That should be all you need to figure out that all his tomes will most likely have limited uses.

Top Bottom