• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
Okay, last one Nah Nah . I haven't made dinner yet, lol

Edit: Put on the wrong nametag, haha. It changes my controls so I had to do it.

Edit 2: Nah, it's fine if you want to play to play Falco. I only quit because I messed up my nametag.

Last edited:

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
Thanks for the Link advice. c: Do you have videos of your Link play? I'm a visual learner so if I see the techniques being done it helps me a long way.
Some noob question but what does CQC stand for and what is Zair and Z-drop? I know most Smash abbreviations but those I don't.
Other than that the advice was very great and detailed! I'm certain this will improve my Link.
CQC=Close Quarters Combat (Basically fighting up close) and Zair is basically what happens when you press Z as Link.

D

Deleted member

Thanks for the Link advice. c: Do you have videos of your Link play? I'm a visual learner so if I see the techniques being done it helps me a long way.
Some noob question but what does CQC stand for and what is Zair and Z-drop? I know most Smash abbreviations but those I don't.
Other than that the advice was very great and detailed! I'm certain this will improve my Link.
CQC - Close Quarters Combat.

Zair - Characters with Tether Grabs such as Link, Samus, and ZSS can press the grab button in mid-air and their tether will actually extend forwards with an active hitbox for some light damage/poking, off-stage such an option is important since the tether will actually snap the character to the ledge. Conventionally, the grab button on the Gamecube Controller was always bound to the Z-button, hence Z-air or "Z aerial" AKA "Pressing Z in mid-air"

Z-drop - Again, grab has conventionally been bound to the Z button, and any character that is holding an item can drop it by pressing the grab button, in mid-air, the item will fall straight down as if the character just dropped it. Hence, Z-Drop, which is really "Pressing Z to drop the item." For conventional items such as the Beam Sword, this will drop the item behind the character if they are on the ground, but for throwables like Link's bombs, pressing the Z button on the ground will throw it forwards while pressing it in the air will cause it to be dropped, it should be noted that when dropping it in the air you must not be inputting a direction on the control stick otherwise the bomb will be thrown in the direction the control stick is being held when you press Z or whatever your grab button might be.

I do not have any videos myself but @Raziek was kind enough to record the session he had with me some time during the summer, so you can ask him directly for it or find it on his Youtube channel.

Granted that footage is somewhat old now and my style has changed a little bit since then but most of what I've mentioned still applies.

D

Deleted member

CQC - Close Quarters Combat.

Zair - Characters with Tether Grabs such as Link, Samus, and ZSS can press the grab button in mid-air and their tether will actually extend forwards with an active hitbox for some light damage/poking, off-stage such an option is important since the tether will actually snap the character to the ledge. Conventionally, the grab button on the Gamecube Controller was always bound to the Z-button, hence Z-air or "Z aerial" AKA "Pressing Z in mid-air"

Z-drop - Again, grab has conventionally been bound to the Z button, and any character that is holding an item can drop it by pressing the grab button, in mid-air, the item will fall straight down as if the character just dropped it. Hence, Z-Drop, which is really "Pressing Z to drop the item." For conventional items such as the Beam Sword, this will drop the item behind the character if they are on the ground, but for throwables like Link's bombs, pressing the Z button on the ground will throw it forwards while pressing it in the air will cause it to be dropped, it should be noted that when dropping it in the air you must not be inputting a direction on the control stick otherwise the bomb will be thrown in the direction the control stick is being held when you press Z or whatever your grab button might be.

I do not have any videos myself but @Raziek was kind enough to record the session he had with me some time during the summer, so you can ask him directly for it or find it on his Youtube channel.

Granted that footage is somewhat old now and my style has changed a little bit since then but most of what I've mentioned still applies.
Ah, so that's what Zair and Z-drop is! I had no idea it had a name for it xD
I never really implemented a lot of Zair into my Link play so now I know to do that in the future.

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
GG Nah Nah . Also, sorry about that weird last match shenanigans. Basically, after I put on the "Last Match" tag I forgot to switch back to my usual tag, which again changes my controls. So I quit because of that, not because you suddenly went Falco and I was offended or demanded a Robin ditto or anything like that. So when you went Robin, I quit again because I wanted you to play who were originally going to play: Falco. So again, sorry about the confusion, lol.

I will say this though: you did get better since the last time I played you though. You kind of let me have stage control for free though. I was able to exert a lot of pressure just by standing in center stage. You often played by the ledge a lot, and while this is kind of natural for a zoner to do, you're putting yourself in a bad position if you do that all the time. It's the Smash equivalent of being in the corner: you don't want to be there.

Nah

Smash Champion
whenever Brett posts now I think he's linking stuff cuz his text color's the same as the hyperlink color on Smashboards Dark lol

ggs The_Cardinal The_Cardinal ,sorry about me not understanding what you were getting at at the end there, I switch to my phone while playing Smash and I'm not used to doing things on mobile yet so....

And yeah I kinda noticed that you had me at the ledge a lot, kinda like last time I can never really figure out how to regain stage control or how to break a (good) zoner's defenses =(

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
HOLYHECK I watched that with headphones and now my ears are dead waaaiiii...
That happened when I first watched it. I should've put a sound warning.
Edit: More John CenaProbably should turn your sound down.

Last edited:

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
Alright, I'm back from the store. Anyone want to play me? Maybe @Sanae perchance so that I may help her improve?

Last edited:

Gemneye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xdragonfireboix
Alright, I'm back from the store. Anyone want to play me? Maybe @Sanae perchance so that I may help her improve?
I'll play you for 30 minutes or so if the servers are on? I think someone said that they were down... Sanae has first dibs though. :p

Last edited:

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
I really gotta be more conscious of playing Smash before dinner time, haha. Wasn't able to make anything substantial so it was just the good old egg over freshly cooked rice with a bit of soy sauce. It was actually a nice, simple meal but still.

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
I'll play you for 30 minutes or so if the servers are on? I think someone said that they were down... Sanae has first dibs though. :p
You sure they're out entirely? I was able to do a couple of matches before I got the boot.

Haven't got a reply yet so I can take you on now if you want.

Gemneye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xdragonfireboix
You sure they're out entirely? I was able to do a couple of matches before I got the boot.

Haven't got a reply yet so I can take you on now if you want.
Not sure. I haven't checked in awhile. I'm updating my game right now LOL. I've sent you a friend request though.

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
Not sure. I haven't checked in awhile. I'm updating my game right now LOL. I've sent you a friend request though.
Yep, they are. I'll play you when the servers are up and running again. Oh, and request accepted.

Gemneye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xdragonfireboix
Yep, they are. I'll play you when the servers are up and running again. Oh, and request accepted.
Damn, well I guess I'll have to get a rain check on that one then. Was hoping to get some games in before my dad settles down for the day. 8)

Devil May Plop

BANG BANG BANG
NNID
HalfDampKitenSox
3DS FC
0302-0852-2165
Who are you?
I am He who rises from The Fiery Hell!
I am He who steals souls from little children!
I am He who trades a child's youth for adulthood!
I am He who raids the alert boxes of every user in SmashBoards!
I am He who will conquer all!
I am Almost But Not Quite!
Fear My limitless power, and beg more my mercy!
Mercy which you would soon realize does not exist!
None can match me!

Top Bottom