• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

D

Deleted member

Kinda sucks that the reward you get for completing the Pit of 100 trials isn't terribly useful. I did it a couple of times but usually I just like to get to floor 50 around chpater 4 or 5 to get the thing that increases the amount of items you can carry and then never go back to the place.

Doing the Flopside Pit of 100 Trials twice in SPM is some intense **** though. Reward's a lot better, though at the point you can do it you kinda don't need it either....
I never completed the Pit of 100 Trials in TTYD... it was so damn hard. I only get to floor 50 for the 20 item bag and I only return for sidequests involving it.

I have completed all of the SPM Pit of 100 Trials and it was long, boring, and tedious. The reward for the Flopside Pit of 100 Trials is useful and nice, but its uses are limited; you can blow through the final chapter if you beat the trials before then and the 100 Sammer Guy challenge also becomes easier.
At least the boss in Flopside can be easy, especially if you're Bowser.

Devil May Plop

BANG BANG BANG
NNID
HalfDampKitenSox
3DS FC
0302-0852-2165
I have the cutest, most fitting avatar ever. :4robinm::skull:
I was actually thinking of using that one, but I was like "Nah, Matsushi Matsushi will probably take it."
Called it, yo!

Immediately thought of this.

Never a dull moment in the Mishima/Kazama family.

I can think of only two people who could reasonably survive such an attack.

I always felt bad for poor Lars.

We'll need them if the Mishima fight actually broke out...

@AlphaOmega2000 INITIATION GO!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I have come to the conclusion that I am indeed bad at Smash. I know this because my boyfriend's 7 year old brother is better than me. 7! He completely bodied me one time. And when I play against my boyfriend it's no better because I get bodied even harder and he's super disrespectful in his playstyle. xD

Sorry about that rant, I'm just a bit depressed because I want to get better at the game but don't know where to start.

Yaki

Yamato-Nadeshiko with Good Taste and Opinions
What People from NYC consider Upstate NY.
NNID
GrilledYaki
3DS FC
1891-1180-3868
It
I have come to the conclusion that I am indeed bad at Smash. I know this because my boyfriend's 7 year old brother is better than me. 7! He completely bodied me one time. And when I play against my boyfriend it's no better because I get bodied even harder and he's super disrespectful in his playstyle. xD

Sorry about that rant, I'm just a bit depressed because I want to get better at the game but don't know where to start.
It's okay, I'm pretty poop at smash too.

Nah

Smash Champion

It

y'all can try fighting us and maybe we can help you out

D

Deleted member

It

You can't be worse than me. xD
My reaction times are pretty slow and I make stupid moves at such the wrong time.

y'all can try fighting us and maybe we can help you out
That would be great. However my laptop is broken right now so I have to resort to the desktop downstairs which I have limited access to.

D

Deleted member

You can't be worse than me. xD
My reaction times are pretty slow and I make stupid moves at such the wrong time.

That would be great. However my laptop is broken right now so I have to resort to the desktop downstairs which I have limited access to.
Aside from improving by simply playing the others I can give you advice with Link if you need it, ideally I would like to play you but I'm incredibly restricted in that regard because of college.

I point out Link because you have him listed as a Smash 4 main, and I'm sort of the Robin Boards' Link guy.

Matsushi

True Blood

No, no, no, you're not bad at Smash! You can only get better, not worse. This only gives you an incentive to get better, and you need to be confident in your abilities in order to do that, even if you do get "bodied" by your boyfriend. You don't know it yet, but you learn a lot when you play against someone better than yourself, trust me!

Also, myself, and everyone else here are willing to help you get better. After all, this social is really cool with giving constructive criticism! Don't let them silly, negative thoughts cloud your mind! :drfacepalm:

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979
Just realized my current avatar is pretty much perfect for the spoopy month of October and Halloween.

Guess I really am staying three steps ahead. You tacticians are really rubbing off on me.
I always felt bad for poor Lars.
Indeed, he's been through some s***

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
I'd maybe be up for some online in a bit. Just messing around with my Amiibos right now.
Wanna play me in about half an hour?

@Sanae I agree with everyone here, just keep practicing. We all start out awful but we can only go up from there. Play your boyfriend, play us, play whoever you can and don't hesitate to ask for feedback. You will get better, I guarantee it.

Last edited:

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP

Have you tried asking your boyfriend for tips on how you can improve?

D

Deleted member

Aside from improving by simply playing the others I can give you advice with Link if you need it, ideally I would like to play you but I'm incredibly restricted in that regard because of college.

I point out Link because you have him listed as a Smash 4 main, and I'm sort of the Robin Boards' Link guy.
I would love that since my Link is pretty trash right now. I really want to get better with Link because I have a bad habit of doing 'Marth stuff' with him. And it's okay, I'm restricted too. My laptop isn't working so I have to use the family computer and I have limited access to it. :/

No, no, no, you're not bad at Smash! You can only get better, not worse. This only gives you an incentive to get better, and you need to be confident in your abilities in order to do that, even if you do get "bodied" by your boyfriend. You don't know it yet, but you learn a lot when you play against someone better than yourself, trust me!

Also, myself, and everyone else here are willing to help you get better. After all, this social is really cool with giving constructive criticism! Don't let them silly, negative thoughts cloud your mind! :drfacepalm:
I certainly do feel like I have improved since I first got the game but not by much. I avoid For Glory because I don't want jerks abusing the name tag system by saying nasty things to other players so I play against my boyfriend instead and he's probably better than most FG peeps anyway.
Also I'd love for you to help me, particularly with improving my Marth. He's my main and I want to get better with him as well as my other characters.
Your kind advice is very helpful and helped me to be more confident in my abilities, so thank you! :3

Have you tried asking your boyfriend for tips on how you can improve?
I have. But I think he's too nice to give me constructive criticism. I asked him last night to tell me things to improve on and literally all he said was I lack experience in playing against others. :/

Last edited by a moderator:

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
I have. But I think he's too nice to give me constructive criticism. I asked him last night to tell me things to improve on and literally all he said was I lack experience in playing against others. :/
Well, is he wrong in that last regard?

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
A bit of a late post, but
I have found the perfect thanksgiving avatar.

It fits the thanksgiving feel perfectly.
How exactly is this fitting for Thanksgiving?
Raz was saying that he doesn't think ZeRo knows how to fight Robin.

Might be why Nairo went with Robin at first.

/shrug
What I'm wondering is if Raz had any Shiek experience prior to Big House.

On another note, @Sanae Nah Nah Yaki Yaki Admittidly, I don't feel that good at the game either.
Edit: Matsushi Matsushi

Man, I had a lot to say today.

Last edited:

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP

On another note, @Sanae Nah Nah Yaki Yaki Admittidly, I don't feel that good at the game either.
Raziek has recently actually. I know he played a set against Alphicans and DKWill. Naturally DKWill went DK first but because that MU sucks for DK, he went Sheik.

If anyone wants to play me I'm down for that
I'd be down in a bit.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Edit: Matsushi Matsushi

Man, I had a lot to say today.
Needs more John Cena

Matsushi

True Blood
I certainly do feel like I have improved since I first got the game but not by much. I avoid For Glory because I don't want jerks abusing the name tag system by saying nasty things to other players so I play against my boyfriend instead and he's probably better than most FG peeps anyway.
Also I'd love for you to help me, particularly with improving my Marth. He's my main and I want to get better with him as well as my other characters.
Your kind advice is very helpful and helped me to be more confident in my abilities, so thank you! :3
Ah, For Glory isn't really an efficient way to improve and certainly doesn't determine your skill, so it's good you avoid it. :3 Well, playing against your boyfriend certainly is a good way to get better, though he should definitely give you more tips and critiques, something more in-depth than "lacking experience against other players". But yeah, you certainly need to play others if you want to improve as well, and that's something we can help you with! :3

I'm more than happy to help you with :4marth:, I do have a lot of experience with him from Brawl and a bit of Melee, so yeah! We should definitely get some games in soon. I'm so happy that my advice was helpful~ :dr^_^:

Last edited:

AmericanDJ

NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
Needs more John Cena
Even though there's only John Cena at the end,
(Why do all his videos have such wierd thumbnails?)

And if anyone wants to play later, I guess I could.

Last edited:

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
Well, no. As mentioned earlier, I avoid FG because jerks so I only play with my boyfriend. None of my friends play Smash or games in general.
Well, I think it's pretty clear then what you can do if you would like to get better at Smash: play us. It'll be fun. It's not like we'll bite. And there's a surprisingly decent amount of diversity in who we play besides, just well, Robin.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I would love that since my Link is pretty trash right now. I really want to get better with Link because I have a bad habit of doing 'Marth stuff' with him. And it's okay, I'm restricted too. My laptop isn't working so I have to use the family computer and I have limited access to it. :/
Feel free to ask any questions you may have about Link and I will attempt to give my advice to the best of my ability.

D

Deleted member

Ah, For Glory isn't really an efficient way to improve and certainly doesn't determine your skill, so it's good you avoid it. :3 Well, playing against your boyfriend certainly is a good way to get better, though he should definitely give you more tips and critics, something more in-depth than "lacking experience against other players". But yeah, you certainly need to play others if you want to improve as well, and that's something we can help you with! :3

I'm more than happy to help you with :4marth:, I do have a lot of experience with him from Brawl and a bit of Melee, so yeah! We should definitely get some games in soon. I'm so happy that my advice was helpful~ :dr^_^:
Playing with other people besides my boyfriend is a good thing too because there will be variety and it will be less repetitive.

And thanks for helping me with the fabulous :4marth:! My boyfriend mains Marth too but he's more proficient with Fox and Ness. (I play a lot of Ness too so I can at least have bf help me with him). You can give me Marth advice either here or on Skype. Skype is preferred since I can't get on this computer freely.

Well, I think it's pretty clear then what you can do if you would like to get better at Smash: play us. It'll be fun. It's not like we'll bite. And there's a surprisingly decent amount of diversity in who we play besides, just well, Robin.
Thanks, I'd love to play with you guys. In the past I have been so afraid because I would be embarrassed by how bad I am but that's how I improve is by playing against others. And I'm confident this social is a judge free zone.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have about Link and I will attempt to give my advice to the best of my ability.
I do have one question actually. How often should I be using his projectiles? Because I know he tends to get a bad reputation by overusing them. I feel like I don't use them enough.

IAmMetaKnight

The Strongest Warrior in the Galaxy
NNID
Munn_D_C
3DS FC
2251-5635-7276
It has come to my attention that our dear @Sanae has started her Smash journey. I wish I could've got hear sooner. If you need a practice partner or specific tips, I'm your guy. :grin:

Just bare in mind that while some gain skill quickly and as if they were born with it, most must put in a lot of time and effort just to rise a single step, and the learning curve is only going to get steeper. You might decide it's not worth your time. I just wanted to inform you now so you don't become too disheartened in the future.

THIS IS IT.

I'M BUYING 10000.
I took one look at that thing and knew this would be your reaction. :rotfl:

D

Deleted member

It has come to my attention that our dear @Sanae has started her Smash journey. I wish I could've got hear sooner. If you need a practice partner or specific tips, I'm your guy. :grin:

Just bare in mind that while some gain skill quickly and as if they were born with it, most must put in a lot of time and effort just to rise a single step, and the learning curve is only going to get steeper. You might decide it's not worth your time. I just wanted to inform you now so you don't become too disheartened in the future.

I've played Sm4sh since last December but yea I'm still kinda scrub at it. And I would love to spar with you. c:
I'm a quick learner when it comes to certain things but other things, not so much and unfortunately with video games I learn on the slow side. But the time and effort will be worth it and I'm willing to put in a lot of time if needed.

AmericanDJ

NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871

Could you help me get better?

D

Deleted member

Playing with other people besides my boyfriend is a good thing too because there will be variety and it will be less repetitive.

And thanks for helping me with the fabulous :4marth:! My boyfriend mains Marth too but he's more proficient with Fox and Ness. (I play a lot of Ness too so I can at least have bf help me with him). You can give me Marth advice either here or on Skype. Skype is preferred since I can't get on this computer freely.

Thanks, I'd love to play with you guys. In the past I have been so afraid because I would be embarrassed by how bad I am but that's how I improve is by playing against others. And I'm confident this social is a judge free zone.

I do have one question actually. How often should I be using his projectiles? Because I know he tends to get a bad reputation by overusing them. I feel like I don't use them enough.
Link's projectiles are integral to his game no matter how much you hear the stereotype of "Special Moves Only" Links.

To that end you should not be throwing out his projectiles without thought, they can cover a lot of space and disrupt a lot of things but in order to make the most effective use of them you should be consciously be thinking of what you want a projectile to be doing, usually this will simply come down to applying consistent pressure at mid range, but depending on spacing and percent the projectile use can lead into setups, traps and confirms.

It's also important that you maintain some mobility while using his projectiles, too often a bad Link player will just sit still which doesn't really do anything productive.

A lot of Link's CQC options have good damage output, but are relatively slow, so Link can't perform ideally at CQC like a rushdown like Mario can.

IMO Link is at his best controlling space with his projectiles in mid-range spacing to build gradual projectile chip damage, and then up close using them for setups mixed with smart use of his tilts and occasional SH aerials, taking advantage of Link's solid disjointed range on the ground to add percent and potentially kill in CQC.

IMO the projectile list goes like this:

Bombs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Boomerang >>>> Hero's Bow.

Bombs can be used for so many things and don't have to deal with any sort of damage staling, bomb jumping when coming from offstage is a lifeline for Link.

The Boomerang (Gale Boomerang in particular) is good for poking at mid-range because it has a deceptively long-lasting hitbox (all the way until it stops moving forwards) and the windbox can push or drag opponents into certain setups if they're not paying attention. At point blank and at lower percent it has enough hitstun to setup into aerials as well.

The Hero's Bow has the longest range but is the heaviest commitment of the three so it's quite situational, I'll usually use it for pokes at mid-range with SH Uncharged or partially charged arrows to supplement my other projectiles and a fully charged arrow is usually good for free damage to cover landings from long range as well as free damage on missed techs, that is when the opponent is doing some sort of get-up after missing a tech. I'll also use it for poking opponents off-stage in an effort to "steal their second jump" and get a gimp.

The Zair is also a good tool that you may not be using enough, although it can be easy to fall into using it too much, the fact that it causes Link to drop a bomb if he's holding one increases the options and setups you have with bombs. For instance, OoS SH Z-Drop covers rolls in really well and sets up into a lot of stuff at low percent. You can also Z-Drop just before hitting the ground and because of the low landing lag of non-air-dodge-cancelled Zair you'll be able to act quickly while the dropped bomb will actually have an active hitbox, which can help to cover your landing since Link has poor aerial mobility and can easily be pursued from below by most of the cast.

Last edited by a moderator:

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
Yaki Yaki GG! Sorry I had to cut it short, I have to go to the store. Don't know why you say you suck, you were doing a heck of a better job than I was. Maybe me constantly thinking you were still new at this was holding me back but who knows. It was fun, though. Thanks.

Last edited:

Yaki

Yamato-Nadeshiko with Good Taste and Opinions
What People from NYC consider Upstate NY.
NNID
GrilledYaki
3DS FC
1891-1180-3868
I feel really bad for my kirby kill on ~Skelly~ ~Skelly~
Yaki Yaki GG! Sorry I had to cut it short, I have to go to the store. Don't know why you say you suck, you were doing a heck of a better job than me. Maybe me constantly thinking you were new at this was holding me back but who knows. It was fun, though. Thanks.
My lack of shield/defensive game is my extremely glaring weak point/I play @Kotor a lot. I get bodied pretty easy.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Link's projectiles are integral to his game no matter how much you hear the stereotype of "Special Moves Only" Links.

To that end you should not be throwing out his projectiles without thought, they can cover a lot of space and disrupt a lot of things but in order to make the most effective use of them you should be consciously be thinking of what you want a projectile to be doing, usually this will simply come down to applying consistent pressure at mid range, but depending on spacing and percent the projectile use can lead into setups, traps and confirms.

It's also important that you maintain some mobility while using his projectiles, too often a bad Link player will just sit still which doesn't really do anything productive.

A lot of Link's CQC options have good damage output, but are relatively slow, so Link can't perform ideally at CQC like a rushdown like Mario can.

IMO Link is at his best controlling space with his projectiles in mid-range spacing to build gradual projectile chip damage, and then up close using them for setups mixed with smart use of his tilts and occasional SH aerials, taking advantage of Link's solid disjointed range on the ground to add percent and potentially kill in CQC.

IMO the projectile list goes like this:

Bombs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Boomerang >>>> Hero's Bow.

Bombs can be used for so many things and don't have to deal with any sort of damage staling, bomb jumping when coming from offstage is a lifeline for Link.

The Boomerang (Gale Boomerang in particular) is good for poking at mid-range because it has a deceptively long-lasting hitbox (all the way until it stops moving forwards) and the windbox can push or drag opponents into certain setups if they're not paying attention. At point blank and at lower percent it has enough hitstun to setup into aerials as well.

The Hero's Bow has the longest range but is the heaviest commitment of the three so it's quite situational, I'll usually use it for pokes at mid-range with SH Uncharged or partially charged arrows to supplement my other projectiles and a fully charged arrow is usually good for free damage to cover landings from long range as well as free damage on missed techs, that is when the opponent is doing some sort of get-up after missing a tech. I'll also use it for poking opponents off-stage in an effort to "steal their second jump" and get a gimp.

The Zair is also a good tool that you may not be using enough, although it can be easy to fall into using it too much, the fact that it causes Link to drop a bomb if he's holding one increases the options and setups you have with bombs. For instance, OoS SH Z-Drop covers rolls in really well and sets up into a lot of stuff at low percent. You can also Z-Drop just before hitting the ground and because of the low landing lag of non-air-dodge-cancelled Zair you'll be able to act quickly while the dropped bomb will actually have an active hitbox, which can help to cover your landing since Link has poor aerial mobility and can easily be pursued from below by most of the cast.
Thanks for the Link advice. c: Do you have videos of your Link play? I'm a visual learner so if I see the techniques being done it helps me a long way.
Some noob question but what does CQC stand for and what is Zair and Z-drop? I know most Smash abbreviations but those I don't.
Other than that the advice was very great and detailed! I'm certain this will improve my Link.

Top Bottom