• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Thinner character, bigger appeal!" Paper Mario for SSB4; Thread migration soon!

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I'm actually talking about this. That was my theory, but the name is still confusing.

I just came up with something I'm not sure, but if it was mostly to rep sticker star and TTYD being just an out of there reference which can explains the name, I expect at least a mention of sticker star for advertising that game right?

Not sure if I'm doing this right, but smash does seem to use advertising a lot.
Possibly because the decision to rep the entire franchise was received more favorably once it was seen in action?

I don't know. The entire thing is confusing to me. But I still feel like it's the only Paper Mario representation we're getting.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Possibly because the decision to rep the entire franchise was received more favorably once it was seen in action?

I don't know. The entire thing is confusing to me. But I still feel like it's the only Paper Mario representation we're getting.
Well, aside from 2 music (oh yeah I forgot about that, but 2 music...seems to be quite low even for JUST sticker star).

I am confused. Like I need to just filter the case possible and ask if it make sense considering the series, Sakurai or other observations. That will take time, but I will end with a sanctuary guardians essay. It might actually be very long, but I guess they are all so never mind.

One thing I'm quite sure for now: the whole thing is quite fishy. For what purpose? That's the question with every answers in it.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
What if the Sticker Star stage was presented as just a "new game" stage, but then someone realized that it was essentially the only thing we were getting to represent a significant part of Mario's heritage? That it would be better to represent all of Paper Mario, rather than just Sticker Star? So a generic game stage like the Nintendogs and Cats stage got turned into a celebration of Paper Mario, thus indicating its expansion to a larger role.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
What if the Sticker Star stage was presented as just a "new game" stage, but then someone realized that it was essentially the only thing we were getting to represent a significant part of Mario's heritage? That it would be better to represent all of Paper Mario, rather than just Sticker Star? So a generic game stage like the Nintendogs and Cats stage got turned into a celebration of Paper Mario, thus indicating its expansion to a larger role.
And it just becoming circular -> if every game got repped, why ONLY on 3ds?

I don't think this can end. It might just be because that for repping all 4, you don't do this just because it would be good, but it seems to be that much enough to have more in mind (sort of preparation if you want).

I think we are both confused now :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
And it just becoming circular -> if every game got repped, why ONLY on 3ds?
Because it started as a Sticker Star stage, when they were just making stages for 3DS games (like Nintendogs and Cats) until someone made the decision to flesh it out for the whole series. It's the only explanation I've been able to come up with, anyway.

I don't think this can end. It might just be because that for repping all 4, you don't do this just because it would be good, but it seems to be that much enough to have more in mind (sort of preparation if you want).

I think we are both confused now :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
Yeah, it's confusing. If it was on the Wii U, it would make so much more sense.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Because it started as a Sticker Star stage, when they were just making stages for 3DS games (like Nintendogs and Cats) until someone made the decision to flesh it out for the whole series. It's the only explanation I've been able to come up with, anyway.

Yeah, it's confusing. If it was on the Wii U, it would make so much more sense.
Which is why it could be for trailer (oh god did I just made the whole disscusion back to the starting point?)

Ok, let's just stop for today and I'll post tomorrow, because it really seems to be pointless without any deep analysis.

In the mean time, I don't think I'll have time to start spm now after TTYD :cry:

Why he didn't teased him next week where I have less time anyway?

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Wait, new idea!

Gerudo Valley is on the 3DS because of Ocarina of Time 3D.

3DS remake of Thousand Year Door confirmed?

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Wait, new idea!

Gerudo Valley is on the 3DS because of Ocarina of Time 3D.

3DS remake of Thousand Year Door confirmed?
That reminds me before that stage where I enjoyed doing straws jokes :)

But really, they should port it or remake it at some point. Especially now since they seems to acknowledge more the fans now (and ssb4 is of course not an exception).

I actually wonder if they acknowledged the awesomeness of it. I didn't see any statement or sort (maybe Sakurai would do it the day after his reveal?)

Oh, btw, I think a lot of newcomers had Sakurai comment on their inclusion after if they were planned or dev facts. I wonder if there will be one if he's revealed...

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
That reminds me before that stage where I enjoyed doing straws jokes :)

But really, they should port it or remake it at some point. Especially now since they seems to acknowledge more the fans now (and ssb4 is of course not an exception).

I actually wonder if they acknowledged the awesomeness of it. I didn't see any statement or sort (maybe Sakurai would do it the day after his reveal?)

Oh, btw, I think a lot of newcomers had Sakurai comment on their inclusion after if they were planned or dev facts. I wonder if there will be one if he's revealed...
I personally want to see a remake of the first Paper Mario before TTYD. The first could really use a reboot, because the graphics are a bit iffy and it just needs some work. TTYD still stands great on it's own, trust me, I've been playing it recently. :smirk: Still though, I'd like to see it ported on a so far non-existent GCN Virtual Console, and maybe be remade in the next generation of consoles. Just my thoughts. BTW this emote looks like PM. ---> :smash:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I personally want to see a remake of the first Paper Mario before TTYD. The first could really use a reboot, because the graphics are a bit iffy and it just needs some work. TTYD still stands great on it's own, trust me, I've been playing it recently. :smirk: Still though, I'd like to see it ported on a so far non-existent GCN Virtual Console, and maybe be remade in the next generation of consoles. Just my thoughts. BTW this emote looks like PM. ---> :smash:
Thousand Year Door has a major problem, though. I currently cannot play it on a handheld.

I am doing so much more gaming on my 3DS these days (as is most of Japan, I'll point out). I really, really want a good portable Paper Mario. I know the original still stands on its own. That's why I want it on my 3DS. :)

I'll take the original too, but please, portable Thousand Year Door.

Skides

Smash Rookie
NNID
Skides
3DS FC
1289-8354-1948
I want to support Paper Mario for Smash 4! The Paper Mario series is my favorite Mario series!

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Idk if you added me since I didn't formally say anything but you can add me too.
You weren't there indeed and you're not alone because of the same reason. This actually happened a lot though.

I never though of this, but imagine:

PM64 in the same design as the rest since TTYD.

Now, it might actually be better than the original because I just love so much the design since TTYD.

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
Couple quick fixes you should make to the OP. You have a few duplicates in the supporters section. They are the following: FalconSoup Skyfox2000 ... and that's actually it. Not a major problem, but it should be accurate.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Couple quick fixes you should make to the OP. You have a few duplicates in the supporters section. They are the following: FalconSoup Skyfox2000 ... and that's actually it. Not a major problem, but it should be accurate.
Oh good because I never noticed I added them before.

It's fixed now.

Ok, I'll have to go for some time and I may be available for some time after to analyse this. So far, I got an interpretation by a mod on the stage thread: the name would be to represent generic locations from the whole stage instead of being specific. To be honest with you, if it was the case, I even think that it could go wither way. The only thing is that TTYD would either not be alone for first 3 repping or alone and nothing else on that stage from first 3. I personally would think that the former is a bit more likely while the later would still make the name appropriate. The problem I see with the later is that if it was the motive for the name, I think it needs more repping from first 3.

It would, like I said, be the representation of changing location in the series. Which means that only 2 games isn't that much for this purpose. Maybe 3 and 4 is perfect, but they could also put one more sticker star to have a slight majority because handheld.

The thing is, the former still make a WiiU stage likely in my eyes. Tbh with you, to represent the series as a whole in 1 stage ONLY, being on the 3ds ONLY is just weird for me. From a series who was reputed to be memorable in front of home console, it just feels that a little something is missing. I don't see what implies that they would dump everything on only that stage and I don't get the feel that they should do that for now.

That's a start. It's one interpretation, but I wanted to address it because I found it quite good and it has good chances to be the case. I'm going to check the others, but that one is just for start.

Btw, I should be careful with that deconfirmation. When you look at these, you realise how lucky you are to not live that so far even tough it might just happen.

That one was also a big one so, just keep hype a little careful and you should be good if it happens, but let's hope not for now.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Guys.
We have people from the TTYD Music Team composing Smash Music.
GUYS.
WE HAVE PEOPLE FROM THE TTYD MUSIC TEAM COMPOSING SMASH MUSIC.

GUYS!
WE COULD GET AN ORCHESTRATED VERSION OF TTYD'S BATTLE THEME!
WE COULD GET AN ORCHESTRATED VERSION OF VS. DOOPLISS!!
*SCREAMS VIOLENTLY*

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Guys.
GUYS.

GUYS!
*SCREAMS VIOLENTLY*
doent mean hes making new arrangement of his own themes

the fact that the paper mario stage feature a TYD segment would suggest wed get music from it anyway

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Guys.
GUYS.

GUYS!
*SCREAMS VIOLENTLY*
This is hype, but it's even better.

You can put the 3ds in sleep mode and hear the full sound test with headphones...

THAT'S THE BEST QUALITY ON A PORTABLE EVER!!!

Like, I listen the TTYD ost in wav because it's so much better. Those music are played with the original file which means that it's like an mp3 player, but no quality loss.

I love this so much.

As for possibilities, it's at least one from TTYD. Even if there was 2, I would still think that a WiiU stage would be likely since it should have more than 2. Tough, that's just me tough, but repping TTYD and only 2 music seems kinda limited.

As for teasing, well, it does shows that they definitely intent to not just rep sticker star which would support my theory a little.

Tease aside, C'MON LET'S FREAKING HYPE...

Because we definitely do right?

That's not all I had to say for teasing tough. I tough about it and basically, it's nothing new from July 29 so he really repeated what he did, but this time, there's one thing that changed.

The name, after some careful thinking, would make sense with some conditions. See, normally, the name is the location or at least, is related to a created location (like flatzone). Here, that's literally the name of the series the locationS (the s is important) comes from. That's the most generic name possible for only ONE series. It doesn't even come from one game, but a group. My point is that to be so generic, it means that the whole stage has the whole series as THE "location". It's basically all packed in one element that is the stage itself and not just a small part of it.

The problem here is the context: it's all packed in one container, but where that container is? It could be just inside handheld or a part of the whole ssb4 one. Getting all things packed into one entity doesn't necessarily means that it's separate from Mario and doesn't even imply a WiiU rep since it could be the location for 3ds only repping.

As for the new location, I overhyped because it doesn't really help or hurt him. I tough there wouldn't be other boweser castle stage while this is one on the WiiU :) That's what happens when emotion takes you over. So, just forget my point about it.

But the transition might be interesting. It says "like a pop out book" and it makes me think of most of the intros like the TTYD and I think sticker star has a book too. I interpret it as that the locations are presented as a story in a book. Like the locations would have a certain flow which would represent perfectly the flow of chapter and their locations in the series. However, for me, it seems to go a bit far in the fact that it's quite different from the main series that is represented by autoscroll. It's doing a distinction that if it was a mario rep, I found it quite different from the rest. Not really solid, but worth consideration anyway. Tough, it does make sense with the name being the whole series stage since it interprets the whole series as a story which is accurate for this series.

What this means is that I don't think that to be that much generic and only repping TTYD and sticker star is consistent. That's even considering both cases I mentioned.

First, 3ds only series stage: it's screwed already with TTYD. A section + at least one music is enough to make the name not accurate. Because if it was just for 3ds which is only sticker star, it would reference more the game and no other one. Let's make a name just for the sake of example: "sticker star tour". I guess it could work since it's only sticker star, but with all 4 games (one is literally the same) having the words "Paper Mario" in them, it would imply other game repping. The name would have been moe specific to sticker star than the most generic name for this series ever. Thus, I don't think this name would be consistent with this interpretation.

Second, all games repping on a series stage. If it's the case, I expect at least 3 games repped out of 4 for at least one section each. Sticker star having 2 section might be because it's the only game matching the console. There's more of sticker star, but globally, it's every game. So, there would be at least one section depicting either PM64 or/and SPM. If only one, I'd say spm since they might have combined the first 2 into one (first was the base of the second so quite similar). SPM is quite different in the series anyway so it would make sense to have another segment. If it's the only stage though, there's a big problem:

For repping the whole series on a stage + only 2 music on 3ds and not WiiU is even more inconsistent than before.

That's why it helps. Before, I couldn't assume that there was other games than sticker star and TTYD repped since the intent of the stage wasn't that much clear. With the name tough, I think it is and it makes the WiiU stage more likely. Repping the whole series, reputed to be memorable for the first 3 games on console, on the 3ds ONLY is just unnatural. Remember, this game respects a lot of design choice so I see no reason to think that it was ignored at 100%. Before, it was TTYD intent, but now, it's PM64, TTYD, SPM AND sticker star. Even if you remove PM64 OR SPM it's still repping the series as a whole and the console games still should be repped for consistency.

@ Skyblade12 Skyblade12 I would like that you counter this because I enjoy discussing those stuff with you as we see the same thing in different perspective and I may have forgotten others possibilities. Plus, I liked our talk 2 days ago :)

But now, let's talk what do you think if ONLY ONE music of TTYD was there, what would it be? I'm rooting for the cortez fight as ch5 = cortex and that music is very good for the intensity.

If I consider how global the name is, I'd say the Tittle screen. Don't deny it that you would spent more time to dance then fighting if it's playing :)

Btw, it fits if the stage opens as a book with the beginning :)

So, I might think the pic today was better than the stage because music quality on portable, but listening to TTYD in best quality on the go is so awesome.

MUSIC HYPE!!!

:colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
It's kind of hard to argue with you because you're so hyperactive I'm having a little difficulty making out the points you are intending to present. No offense meant by that, I'm just not exactly sure what aspect of that fountain of awesomeness to discuss.

But two songs is really limited for any series. Punch Out! only has one stage, and therefore two songs.

It could just be you'll get several extra songs in the Smash Run music list. It still doesn't really heavily reinforce Paper Mario as a playable character.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
It's kind of hard to argue with you because you're so hyperactive I'm having a little difficulty making out the points you are intending to present. No offense meant by that, I'm just not exactly sure what aspect of that fountain of awesomeness to discuss.

But two songs is really limited for any series. Punch Out! only has one stage, and therefore two songs.

It could just be you'll get several extra songs in the Smash Run music list. It still doesn't really heavily reinforce Paper Mario as a playable character.
No the music doesn't help that much, but just a tiny bit.

I was talking about the name of the stage. It seems to be a lot more global and so, would mean a WiiU stage for reasons I already said.

Because, the quote "Here's a Paper Mario stage!" is really similar so it's repeating it, but we know the official name and it seems that it would help.

And my posts are long because I like to details :)

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I'm wondering why they list Thousand Year Door for Saki Kasuga's credits, when there's a lot more recent work in Kid Icarus: Uprising.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I'm wondering why they list Thousand Year Door for Saki Kasuga's credits, when there's a lot more recent work in Kid Icarus: Uprising.
What do you mean? He composed for that game too?

Well, they may just have chosen them for notable work? Because no one has 3 games.

I won't really bank on that tbh, but at least we know that there is TTYD music.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
What do you mean? He composed for that game too?

Well, they may just have chosen them for notable work? Because no one has 3 games.

I won't really bank on that tbh, but at least we know that there is TTYD music.
They've mostly been going for recent over notable, in my opinion. But Kid Icarus Uprising is both. It just makes me wonder why it wouldn't be included.

Saki Kasuga made Uprising's credits, but maybe didn't actually do a lot of the composition?

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
They've mostly been going for recent over notable, in my opinion. But Kid Icarus Uprising is both. It just makes me wonder why it wouldn't be included.

Saki Kasuga made Uprising's credits, but maybe didn't actually do a lot of the composition?
I just checked like 3 sources and he isn't there.

Can you provide a source? Not that it would matter that much, but just to know.

Also, name talk? That was I wanted to talk :(

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895

At 1:38.

I think I figured it out though. Apparently Sound Effects, not musical composition. Missed that title tag going through.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
The tittle and stage section got updated, but is going to be long is the chance.

Because I updated it when I started to think about it so it should be very different. That's going to take a long time.

But what the name of the stage, I think he's in the likely side. How likely he is that is hard to tell. It's more between [quite likely] and [pretty likely] as I have to agree that he could either be mario rep or own series rep. Imo, I think it would be the later because of personal perception with the name, but the former is equally possible.

So, if I had to use numbers which I hate, I would say between 60% and 75%. It's likely, but far from confirmed even tough there's enough to expect a confirmation.

The thing is, I view it as a tease because some elements support it, but the truth is that he's likely anyway.

To have:

A stage that represents the series as a whole.

2 music.

1 trophies.

Add all this, I should be tempted to say that he definitely has a considerable chance. The stage could mean so much that I don't see why it's ignored by "no wiiu one and too generic to help". Let's just ignore any subjective statement and be objective...THAT STILL A FREAKING STAGE FROM A SERIES THAT ONLY GOT TROPHIES!!!

It could be generic or not, it's a stage. Not only that, but being generic would help. Because no matter what it reps, it's still repping the series AS A WHOLE while I would not expect that for just be a rep for existing mario characters considering that their stages are either location or game based, but not series based.

Someone kinda need to explain the idea of being generic hurting him. Because frankly, why it would?

It's not like there's a rule that says that.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Keep strong Paper Mario supporters. We're almost to the release!
Implying I wasn't :)

But really, it's kinda funny to go from absolutely no evidences and me doing straw jokes to seriously consider him with evidences.

Actually, getting there is something. Like if you look at the threads here, most of them was like this one before July 29. Plus, avoided deconfirmation by trophy which could have happened.

But don't worry, support will stay strong. Even after I start college next Monday since I got replies even when I couldn't use wifi and limited 3G this week.

It's been like 4 months since I got the OP and just that made more than 100 supporters happy. Like, just doing it makes me happy and that will stay even if deconfirmed.

I never talked about it, but for those who don't know, upon confirmation, the support thread (if it exist) will no longer be in the character discussion, but have his own forum. The support thread will still exist as the "main" thread, but the intent will change drastically.

It's not some updates in the OP, that's a complete revamp. Since support will be unnecessary, it will become a general thread. That means that all you see in the OP, gone and will be replaced. However, it does not prevent me to collapse it as archive (which I wonder if the mods would be ok with how much content it has). It should be good, but I'm going to say it: for how much nostalgia it would be, it needs to be referenced somehow.

I'm bringing this up because with a general thread on a character in smash, being the OP is even better especially if you really care about him. So, imagine the hype I have by reading every reply here every day (stuff like movesets and support) multipled by 10 and it's what goin to happen.

I'm serious, even enough to check competitive talk. I don't care usually, but you never know...it might change (but tiers won't change my main obviously).

Basically, It's either me not getting disappointed and hype for stage + 2 music (one from TTYD) OR, everything possible + 10x more hype and more activity.

It's like a win-more win situation that I can at least get a win. So, I have all reasons to stay strong in support as I can be hype for just the win and we'll see if I get more, but that is not granted FOR NOW.

On that note, I noticed something I used to do while playing TTYD that I never noticed: I push buttons on the beat of battle victory theme. I would just love to have it as victory theme to do it in smash...that would be special.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Paper Mario screams, "Unlockable!" to me. So if we get him, we probably won't know until the Japanese release date.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Paper Mario screams, "Unlockable!" to me. So if we get him, we probably won't know until the Japanese release date.
Well, depends if you think there's a WiiU stage because I tend to think it would be used in a trailer.

But then again, if he's in, that stage would be likely.

Last edited:

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151

But Punch Out is a WiiU stage, meaning it has more songs. :ohwell:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So, I heard some ideas since I joined here that I found very unlikely, but would be interesting if it was in his movesets.

For example, I saw one who had the idea to use the flipping floor panel in TTYD as damage after ground pound. That should be silly to see the fighter getting flipped over :)

There could be a lot of silly moves like this that would just be funny. One moveset here even had the idea of a level up system that would be indicated in the HUD. Or even one that would just be a dream is having an sp bar that fill after doing action commands on certain attacks. The sp bar would determine your final smash. Tough, it means it has to be on which doesn't make it possible, but still, would be awesome.

And with customization, you can go infinitely in those gimmicks. Now, I know he doesn't have to have one, but since I love dreaming because it brings ideas, why not?

Like, little mac power bar mechanic, but for fp. You would use them for specials moves that would have customisation and the way you get them is attacking or slightly by getting attacked (which could changes with things like fp drain or sort if they want to add badges).

Who know? It could work with partners too.

In fact, you can go so much far that the only way to implement everything is heavy customization. Lol, that's quite crazy. Like, I tried to limit myself on the moves and it still won't end. He just has too much to work with!

So, if you have to implement any gimmicks on him, what would it be? Silliness is greatly appreciated here.

Speaking of silliness, I don't see that much talks about events, but what about events that reference the story in any of the games? You could play with palette swap too like dark peach on theater or stuff like that.

Do you have any ideas on those? I tough of an event where your goal is to tattle G&W on theater and it would sort of be different to tell you how you should kill him to beat the event.

Ah, I love potential talk here.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
Even if Paper Mario is a fantastic choise i rather have Dr. Mario.

But i guess i can also support Paper Mario.

Top Bottom