• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Thinner character, bigger appeal!" Paper Mario for SSB4; Thread migration soon!

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I'm going to Re-Buy Sticker Star tomorrow just to hype myself for Paper Mario.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I gave my copy of Sticker Star to a friend and have no intention on getting it back.

If I want to hype myself for Paper Mario, I've got The Thousand Year Door, just waiting to be completed for fifth time.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I'm going to Re-Buy Sticker Star tomorrow just to hype myself for Paper Mario.
I never expected to say this, but thanks Sakurai for at least providing hype:

Go for it!

I'm even going to buy it if he's playable with at least one move from this game. I really want to see it happens because of how good the stage is. It's worth enough to own the only game from that series I didn't want to. I'm serious by claiming the following:

The same day he's confirmed, I will as soon as possible go to eshop, pay the full price and download.

That's the only thing that will deserve this game a try for me: being tributed by the highest level of repping in the same series that is currently my foundation of loving video games in the first place while repping the 10 years masterpieces and my second best game:

TTYD.

Doing pit of 100 trials on my 99% file. Never got deeper than 70 and I'm 75 now.

this is going to be hard because bad bp at level 29.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Will adding the ability to hook a GameCube controller up to the Wii U finally allow me to play GameCube games on the thing? I heard lack of controller support was the only real reason there was no backwards compatibility, and I would love the opportunity to play Thousand Year Door again without having to hook up my Wii or GameCube. Bonus points if I could play with the GameCube controller, but using the GamePad as a screen.

Ooh, or better yet, just port it to the 3DS.

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
@ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 Since I was curious about TTYD speedrunning, I watched one, and here's what I have to say about it. First off, I now see why Flavio is amazing, at least in marathon runs. When they got to ch. 3 and did the skip, I was secretly hoping they would mention your name, with you finding it and all. Unfortunately they didn't. :ohwell: I can also see how getting the Ultra Hammer early would help a lot. Also, what ticking? (watch the first third of the speedrun to know what I mean)
<--- This.
So, do you think we might be getting like 2-3 trailers in one direct? Because we're running out of time.
Also, would you be okay if his entrance said this? "Paper Mario is flippin' IN!" You know, stating that he's playable but also being a papery pun? They could do something silly like that.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Paper Mario and Mario Party both deserve more content than what they received in Brawl.
Do you all think Paper Mario would be faster than Mario? Or the opposite? I think he should have some pretty good air control with a slow fall speed.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Wow, I just moved and I had to setup my gaming stuff for hours and wait until I get a 4x time faster internet connection!!! I have now the perfect setup even all my capture card wires aren't even bothering anymore. I had to wait to get my hd tv for the canon cutscene in ch7 since I had a mono tv and as you might have guessed, playing this awesome music with mono sound is NOT ACCEPTABLE!!! Either sterio or even better, surround.

I just want to thank you for replying so much while I couldn't be there. Now, I really want to address those replies:

Will adding the ability to hook a GameCube controller up to the Wii U finally allow me to play GameCube games on the thing? I heard lack of controller support was the only real reason there was no backwards compatibility, and I would love the opportunity to play Thousand Year Door again without having to hook up my Wii or GameCube. Bonus points if I could play with the GameCube controller, but using the GamePad as a screen.

Ooh, or better yet, just port it to the 3DS.
They honestly should port or remake it at some point. Especially if he's playable in smash because you bet that there would be a high demand if it happens (which I really hope). It's really that good to even deserve it.

Wait...you've never beaten the Pit?

Go the danger Mario route, bro.
I did everything on this file EXCEPT that part because it just happened that I started glitch hunting before wanting to do it. I to this day never beat it, but I want to end this shame soon. Btw, I died at level 89 (why??? I was about to get lucky day). My bp on this file were horrible and I had no healing items except a jammin jelly which turned out to be a waste considering an ultra shroom would've saved my life.

I know about the crazy combo with power rush and mega rush. Speedruning the shadow queen battle is so quick that it's almost cheating (which we know is not since it's not allowed). I just found too risky to die and the same goes for rng badges (so, no close call or pretty lucky). I found that flower saver is VERY useful. Only one and you can do a power smash with only 1 fp.

Now, here's something I have a lot to say:

@ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 Since I was curious about TTYD speedrunning, I watched one, and here's what I have to say about it. First off, I now see why Flavio is amazing, at least in marathon runs. When they got to ch. 3 and did the skip, I was secretly hoping they would mention your name, with you finding it and all. Unfortunately they didn't. :ohwell: I can also see how getting the Ultra Hammer early would help a lot. Also, what ticking? (watch the first third of the speedrun to know what I mean)
<--- This.
So, do you think we might be getting like 2-3 trailers in one direct? Because we're running out of time.
Also, would you be okay if his entrance said this? "Paper Mario is flippin' IN!" You know, stating that he's playable but also being a papery pun? They could do something silly like that.
The same day the stage was announced, someone in this thread said that reedit was freaking out on flavio. I tough it was because of almo refference.

This glitch was so hilarious because of how it was discovered: a complete fluke. Almo was streaming just for the lolz a 100% speedrun (he never to this usually because it's crazy long). When he did a skip without triggering the release of flavio as follower, he was locked there. EVERY TIME he was there (even behind peach while she takes her shower, but my test on free look concluded that she isn't naked). There was some hundereds viewers and almo was so confused because... well, wth??? There/s even a glitch I saw on his stream recently that put a second flavio. That's why people in his chat freaked out when I posted the miiverse link of the stage (linking in his chat is mod only btw).

Ok, I got so frustrated for this that I'm just going to say it: Please, try to not mention "ultra hammer early" in your posts because I f***ing hate this chest (and honestly, I'm far from being alone). We can't go on the platform literally because of a bed having not 1, but 2 hitboxes. You can do anything from infinite jump, weird paper roll pause and funny yoshi stuff, but not the clip. I found that it's actually possible to clip out, but you either need to be IN the bed WHILE on yoshi or in paper roll. Since you can't get those before ch3 or ch4, impossible.

If you CAN get it AFTER ch4, you skip ms mows trouble and that is 10 minutes. Again, the blanket being a second hitboxe make this almost impossible (trust me, I tried for weeks of screwing with this bed and it doesn't want to clip).

So, I hate this chest and you should too.

Don't worry for no mention. I'm still a mod in his chat, that's enough for now. He actually completely forgot who found it while I was watching at one point and that moment was awkward of me telling in his chat.

I think that yes, we may get 2 trailers in a single direct, but only if it's a smash one. As for punch line, my favorite is "folds in". However, any reference to "can't flee this fight" would be awesome.

@ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 look what I got.

The other thing is a Super Paper Mario toy back from 07.

Because this hype now is worth to buy it. Enjoy while the tease last (3 weeks so far, that's crazy).

Paper Mario and Mario Party both deserve more content than what they received in Brawl.
Do you all think Paper Mario would be a faster than Mario? Or the opposite? I think he should have some pretty good air control with a slow fall speed.
Speed? Hum...I don't really know. I guess being light means a bit faster (I also found the step sound effect to be quite fast and yeah, I even love the step sound effects in TTYD). Air has to be good because stylish, jumps and the ground pound. Tough, the hammer makes this quite balanced between air and ground. Like I said, his true drawback is the needs of thinking since you have so diverse moves that you have to know which one to use when. That's true for literally the whole series (yes, even sticker star). The slow fall speed might be an advantage if you implement things like my nair idea. Good interpretation of action commands that makes you fell the jump is slow while it's quite fast.

Wow, thanks for those replies. I will resume ch7 today and maybe tomorrow, finish optional stuff and go to ch8. I have better bp on this file so maybe that pit of 100 trials is possible. I just want to tell that I love this challenge. I enjoyed how a boss fight in smrpg could last for 15 minutes. Here, you have 100 levels to do which requires heavy management. And having to tattles some enemies doesn't help. I never reached the boss, but I really want to so that I can finally start spm this week. Can't wait for shadow queen and the famous we believe in you mario!

The more I'm playing, the more I see him fitting so much in smash. It's just crazy what he CAN do so imagine what he WOULD do, it's infinite. So much stylish, badges, jumps, hammers, special moves, partners and overall animations. It's really a dream and it could happen...

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
Do you all think Paper Mario would be a faster than Mario? Or the opposite? I think he should have some pretty good air control with a slow fall speed.
I can't imagine he'd play anything like Mario at all really. He'd be floaty like Jiggles but with slightly less air speed. He'd be slightly quicker than Game and Watch on the ground but not by a whole lot. He'd also probably weigh slightly heavier than G&W and Jiggly, but not by a hugely noticeable amount.

Paper Mario's main strengths from my moveset (in the op if you want to give it a read), is his weird projectiles and high power. His air game would be fairly good, but hindered by his floatiness, meaning it takes very good skill for great air combos. His finishers are somewhat laggy but full of power and his counter is strong but if you mess up the timing has a fairly high start up lag followed by a massive ending lag, making the move deadly but needing massive precision to use. PM also has a strong grab game with a very unique up throw in Parakarry, however, as was noted in the moveset, this move could easily end up just floating an opponent to safety.

PM's weaknesses would probably mainly come from his lightweight and ability to be combo'd as he is fairly floaty. He would also sometimes struggle to rack up the damage on heavier opponents, unless one of his combos starts to build up.

PM would be a very balanced character, matching risk with reward and taking true skill to use to his maximum potential.

C3CC

Smash Lord
Someone please give the OP an award for Thread of the Year. Go home, all you try-hards. aldelaro5 has this one.

I always thought Paper Mario would be a great character, but after reading this thread, I'm definitely in the hope train. He has so much potential, and the fact that he has his own stage makes me think he could get a playable spot.

Count me in! Paper Mario for Smash 4!!

By the way, I hope they base his moveset on all Paper Mario games, not just the piece of **** that was Sticker Star, which is the most recent one. Since they added S.S Flavion, I shouldn't worry about this, though. Oh, and Super Paper Mario wasn't the best in the series, but it was a good game in my opinion. It was just different.

P.S: By the way, I think the Huff N' Puff Battle Theme should be added. That song always gets me pumped for battle.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Someone please give the OP an award for Thread of the Year. Go home, all you try-hards. aldelaro5 has this one.

I always thought Paper Mario would be a great character, but after reading this thread, I'm definitely in the hope train. He has so much potential, and the fact that he has his own stage makes me think he could get a playable spot.

Count me in! Paper Mario for Smash 4!!

By the way, I hope they base his moveset on all Paper Mario games, not just the piece of **** that was Sticker Star, which is the most recent one. Since they added S.S Flavion, I shouldn't worry about this, though. Oh, and Super Paper Mario wasn't the best in the series, but it was a good game in my opinion. It was just different.

P.S: By the way, I think the Huff N' Puff Battle Theme should be added. That song always gets me pumped for battle.
Thanks. I tend to be very persistent when I care about something like the aesthetic of the OP.

You're added as well as the music (I found it good enough).

I too would rep for all 4 games and not a majority on the last one. With how much tease he did with the mention of TTYD, I think the former is more likely. Btw, I like the sticker star segment in the stage.

But the S.S. Flavion probably required a big amount of work. I compared the original design and it's heavily modified, but it still feels like the source model. Also, they even kept the grey lines in the background with the animated sun. It's almost like the source material.

It shows me how much love they gave to TTYD and with all circumstances put together, it would be the best case possible which is own series with Paper Mario as playable rep, this stage and a WiiU one (theater?) and of course, several music with a high chance of more trophies.

Let's hype cautiously as that we at least got a stage and that's a big step from trophies only.

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
Ok, I got so frustrated for this that I'm just going to say it: Please, try to not mention "ultra hammer early" in your posts because I f***ing hate this chest (and honestly, I'm far from being alone). We can't go on the platform literally because of a bed having not 1, but 2 hitboxes. You can do anything from infinite jump, weird paper roll pause and funny yoshi stuff, but not the clip. I found that it's actually possible to clip out, but you either need to be IN the bed WHILE on yoshi or in paper roll. Since you can't get those before ch3 or ch4, impossible.

If you CAN get it AFTER ch4, you skip ms mows trouble and that is 10 minutes. Again, the blanket being a second hitboxe make this almost impossible (trust me, I tried for weeks of screwing with this bed and it doesn't want to clip).

So, I hate this chest and you should too.
Well, now I hate boxes AND beds.
Hey, did you know that you apparently always get triple shines on the second form? Turns out we weren't super lucky. Your run was pure skill and I still had the fog on my side. :p
I think that yes, we may get 2 trailers in a single direct, but only if it's a smash one. As for punch line, my favorite is "folds in". However, any reference to "can't flee this fight" would be awesome.
For the "can't flee this fight" I just imagined that he could start the running away animation, but the meter isn't full enough, so he falls on his face. The camera zooms in and the catch phrase shows up. Yeah, IDK.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Well, now I hate boxes AND beds.
Hey, did you know that you apparently always get triple shines on the second form? Turns out we weren't super lucky. Your run was pure skill and I still had the fog on my side. :p

For the "can't flee this fight" I just imagined that he could start the running away animation, but the meter isn't full enough, so he falls on his face. The camera zooms in and the catch phrase shows up. Yeah, IDK.
Really? I really need to check this on dolphin tomorrow because it doesn't make sense.

And no, pretty lucky + getting a very hard superguard where I always missed them and it turned out to be the one that saved me.

And because someone was chatting tips on my stream (yeah, that's why I really need to beat her again).

I was more thinking about how this line is THE thing that pumps you every time. It's the "monster's FP is gone" of TTYD (that one is from smrpg and when it shows, the boss literally can't attack so, you get a feel of being invincible and that, is so good).

I always imagine an ssb announcer saying this when it shows up in he game and I think it would be out of there, but so awesome.

Now that makes me think...

The crowd chant? I mean, there is a lot of SFX of cheering, but chant? I wonder how the "paper" would be said.

C3CC

Smash Lord
Oh, I forgot to mention that I think that Paper Mario shouldn't represent his own series... I think he should have the Mushroom icon.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Oh, I forgot to mention that I think that Paper Mario shouldn't represent his own series... I think he should have the Mushroom icon.
Well, he teased the opposite so, it might happens.

But I guess I fully explained my stance in the OP. I tough the same at first..until I got with the "infinite" thing. I realized that it's not the same compared to mario to go that much far in differences. It's just "doesn't match".

The good thing is that it shouldn't matter to his chances anyway. Take Yoshi as a mario rep, and it only changes how you see the role of Yoshi, but not the character.

And Sakurai not caring about amount of rep. Both gives the same outcome: PLAYABLE (and me losing consciousness).

I would love own entity to happen for 2 reasons:

1 final proof of not being a clone (I still see this argument and I hate it).

2 It's just feels more natural. Most of the stuff in the series differs way too much to be considered as the same as the main one. The design is unique (check the melee trophy description, for me, they would consider them as separate entities), the intent isn't the same at all, the gameplay is not even comparable (I might even say that spm got too far. I mean flipping in 2D/3D with RPG mix isn't a standard platformer in my book), the locations are out of there, the deepness of the story (that's a big one even if there's slight similarity, this series got way deeper) and for short, the whole games are more different than similar.

Which now makes me wondering, if it was truly the same entity, why mario does NOT use any hammer in any of his moves?

You know, they could have changed him if they were ok to do that stage anyway.

In fact, I realised that mario himself pops out a little too much on those potd. It clearly seems that he's not from there. Which is expected in a cross over, but seeing G&W on flatzone makes one. He should fit well there while a Paper Mario model would match perfectly and feels like to be embedded in the stage.

I'm hype for this tease, but I think the other possibility of being own series should be considered more now.

mini paincakes

Smash Journeyman
I haven't visited this thread in a while. I just want to say that I still have Paper Mario in my top 5 and I am anxiously waiting to see if he made the cut. I've recently went back and played the original Paper Mario and now I really want to see some Paper Mario bosses in Smash. Buzzar, Huff n Puff, Macho Grubba, Lava Pirahna and Lord Crump's giant robot would all work pretty well.

Also the the Paper Mario stage for the Wii U needs to be the theater. (i'm sure this has been discussed many times already) There's so much potential on that stage. Characters could do taunts to appeal to the crowd, which would make them stronger. Also, the crowd can throw items to assist the players who are doing well or rocks at people who are giving a bad preformance. Basically all the stuff that happens in Paper Mario's combat system could happen on this stage. Maybe a hooktail boss could even eat the audience as a callback to the actual boss fight in TTYD.

Anyways, I'm sure we'll get something like this if Paper Mario turns out to be playable. (plz Mashpotato Samurai plz)

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
After seeing the Paper Mario stage I just remembered his existence, and that he is still a likely candidate for smash 4. Add me to the support list please. :^)

I wonder what his challenger approaching silhouette would look like? I like it to be a paper plane just for Sakurai to troll the people that aren't familiar with the games.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
@ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 I've been thinking Paper Mario is really the only other character to represent the Mario Series think about
Waluigi: already De-Confirmed as an AT
Bowser Jr: Still has a chance. But since Transformations are gone not likely
Daisy: She would be a (Semi) Clone of Peach, She will most likely be a Re-Color of Peach again
Do you think Rosalina hurt Paper Mario Chances? At least Hither Thither Hill and SS Flavion is a stage at least Sakurai's Acknowledges the Series.
I've Said this before and i'll say it again I will support Paper Mario to the bitter end. I want you to look at these twitter campaigns for other Smash Characters.
https://twitter.com/Snake4Smash4
https://twitter.com/ChromForSmash
If you want me to I could create us a Twitter Campaign to get us more supporters? Your Call your in charge of this operation.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
@ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 I've been thinking Paper Mario is really the only other character to represent the Mario Series think about
Waluigi: already De-Confirmed as an AT
Bowser Jr: Still has a chance. But since Transformations are gone not likely
Daisy: She would be a (Semi) Clone of Peach, She will most likely be a Re-Color of Peach again
Do you think Rosalina hurt Paper Mario Chances? At least Hither Thither Hill and SS Flavion is a stage at least Sakurai's Acknowledges the Series.
I've Said this before and i'll say it again I will support Paper Mario to the bitter end. I want you to look at these twitter campaigns for other Smash Characters.
https://twitter.com/Snake4Smash4
https://twitter.com/ChromForSmash
If you want me to I could create us a Twitter Campaign to get us more supporters? Your Call your in charge of this operation.
First, repping:

I do NOT think Rosalina hurts his chances and that is NOT JUST because own series since what series he rep DOES NOT MATTER. They could consider yoshi as mario rep, but that doesn't change the character himself.

In other words, he doesn't HAVE to be mario rep. Screw it, he could be a rep of anything and it still won't matter. He could rep the most non sense context ever like metroid and it still won't matter.

What matters THE MOST is the general playstyle of the character and how interesting it would be in uniqueness, appeal and smash context. This means that most support thread here technically has a minimum of 1% chance of being playable unless deconfirmed prior.

Rosalina hurting him means the same for mewtwo who has a lot more behind him. The very least is hurting SLIGHTLY and maybe not worth consideration.

This also means that other deconfirmation don't do that much BUT (and that's to be taken the most subjectively) I don't see him AND jr happening.

There's a reason some goes before others, priority. I think that from how broad the repping now, that alone helped slightly. Teasing however skyrocket the chances.

And I don't agree on transformation cut hurting jr but that's beside the point. Also, clones are easier to do and so far, the one we got make sense in a way (just change ganondorf).

I may have misunderstood your point (not sure what you were trying to say), but if you were talking about any POSSIBLE mario rep, then I agree. It just doesn't matter.

Now DLC,

Not going to take sal leak seriously, we literally have no evidence of dlc happening, the contents if yes, how they feels towards this content as dlc, etc...

Sakurai only said that it COULD happen. How? Will it happen? What would be the conditions to go that way? Absolute neccesity or just more contents?

This makes me really doubtful because first, I don't even know if it could happen the way we would want and even then, the speculation can go indefinetly. This lowers my motivation significantly since I have no idea if it's worth it. Here, I know that it would be known on a specific deadline.

If however they confirm character dlc happening, but let us wait until dlc is ready to reveal, then it's worth it.

Imagine me hyping for something, you have to be carefull to manage it to not overhype. Here, it might be completely pointless OR worthy and I'm not aware.

So, I didn't change my stance and I will do exactly like Sakurai now: focus on this original release and then we may talk.

We're on a tease anyway while chrom is deconfirmed and snake is unsure (I think he's playable, but by a slight feel that he's teased). To get this, could we just focus on hype to then think about dlc support?

Also, remember: no disappointment possible for me in ANY case possible. This means that to start this, I would a better reason to say it would maybe happen. There's no reasons to hype for dlc when I got more than the least I wanted in first release. That's the stage.

So, it might changes with news, but as of this post, I have to abstain and by default, it means no.

I haven't visited this thread in a while. I just want to say that I still have Paper Mario in my top 5 and I am anxiously waiting to see if he made the cut. I've recently went back and played the original Paper Mario and now I really want to see some Paper Mario bosses in Smash. Buzzar, Huff n Puff, Macho Grubba, Lava Pirahna and Lord Crump's giant robot would all work pretty well.

Also the the Paper Mario stage for the Wii U needs to be the theater. (i'm sure this has been discussed many times already) There's so much potential on that stage. Characters could do taunts to appeal to the crowd, which would make them stronger. Also, the crowd can throw items to assist the players who are doing well or rocks at people who are giving a bad preformance. Basically all the stuff that happens in Paper Mario's combat system could happen on this stage. Maybe a hooktail boss could even eat the audience as a callback to the actual boss fight in TTYD.

Anyways, I'm sure we'll get something like this if Paper Mario turns out to be playable. (plz Mashpotato Samurai plz)
That's the thing that might blow my expectation, I know it's likely to have a wiiu stage. What will be the stage? No idea, but I would just freak out if it was the theater. You pretty much told my reason, hazards and mechanics potential while having the simplest layout.

Tough, it seems logical with how it's requested. Like the character, 'infinite'.

After seeing the Paper Mario stage I just remembered his existence, and that he is still a likely candidate for smash 4. Add me to the support list please. :^)

I wonder what his challenger approaching silhouette would look like? I like it to be a paper plane just for Sakurai to troll the people that aren't familiar with the games.
Thanks you're added.

Assuming there's silhouette (we don't know if it remains), just the render blacked.

Simple, was like brawl so expected. Tough, the render is a broader question...

Assuming they aren't based on renders, I would say him and some summons blacked. The airplane seems to too hard for black only to tell. Tough, I don't have that much ideas.

Check the OP, I take suggestions in general.

That much on TTYD? I was very careful to pick good one while not the whole ost. I will check them later, but just be sure they aren't in the op already because it might be the case.

I listen to ttyd ost frequently so I picked more from it with how used I am with this game.

wow, I can go online, but I have several appointment and task to do lately. Don't worry for me discussing upon any replies, but expect a longer delay than usual.

I actually couldn't get to the second room of xnaut foretress. I may finish ch7, but I might have to skip the pit for playing spm and that would be sad.

It's official: 3 weeks under teasing. I really wonder what are they waiting considering leaks, but it shouldn't be that long. I just want to know quickly.

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
That much on TTYD? I was very careful to pick good one while not the whole ost. I will check them later, but just be sure they aren't in the op already because it might be the case.
Don't worry, I made sure that none of them were already used. You already took all of the good ones from TTYD, so that's why there weren't very many from it compared to the others. Really, you already chose the best songs for each game, I just wanted to put some more possibilities out there. ;)

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Don't worry, I made sure that none of them were already used. You already took all of the good ones from TTYD, so that's why there weren't very many from it compared to the others. Really, you already chose the best songs for each game, I just wanted to put some more possibilities out there. ;)
It will take a long time to add them, but I will add some (and I considered one of ttyd already and decided no for a reason).

pm64

the last 2 and shiver mountain. Even tought the first is the first boss, I found it to be too constant while trying to sound exciting. Maybe because of the bgm overhyping a little too much.

I won't add the title theme because I found the notes just 'weird'. But, the file selection theme is a version I like much better so I might add it.

over shiver mountain: that's the proof I need to play this game again at some point. I forgot this one even tough it's a really good one. Not only it's good immersion, but also because of how the beeps sounds like a siren or sort of. It gives a present, but slight dangerous feel mixed wit ice that is so matching. Worth the addition especially because it's immersive without context.

petunia under attack: This one is me forgeting a music that I even remember to particularily like. At first, I was wondering why even this game has a cheetahmen like music segment. Seriously, it's catchy, but even pokemon bw2 has one why it's used that much considering it was a bad game from the nes?

Anyway, it's still catchy. What I really like is the strong impact of the notes: that makes an instent umergency and intense feel. It's the sort of music that is exactly like shadow queen: it's designed to capt most of your attention without any context. With a context like a fight in smash, that fits perfectly. I think the only reason I did not add it was simply because of how the moment it played wasn't that much memorable. Then again, I forgot a lot.

sad sun: again, forgot, but that's a shame. Really, the melody capt so much the sadness that it will fit any sad and drepressing moment like final hours from majora's mask which was carefully made to even makes you feel powerless. That's the only kind of music that even manage to reflect accurately my feeling on every Sunday night while Monday morning is getting closer to end the week end comfort. That's actually worth mentioning to get this on ANY mario games and so deserves to be added despite not really fit in fight. There's music like these that I don't expect to be in at all, but want it because of the immersion.

TTYD:

I only considered rogueport sewers as I loved, but for circumstances that has nothing to do with the intent of the music. To glitch hunt, I have to run the game on emulator and that takes a lot of ressources. I have a 730$ computer that has ton of free space and having a decent configuration and I'm far from 60fps. It needs to convert the gamecube architecture that isn't common in pc today which makes emulation from a 2004 game difficult. In most places, I rrun at 40-50 fps so it's like from 2/3 to 5/6 of the native speed. It turns out that rogueport is so heavy that it runs at 35 and maybe 30 fps which is the half of the gamecube. I need sometime to do global test so I need to be as close as possible from rogueport North which is the most convenient map to go in any ch. If rogueport is annoying to run which makes the music horrible, the sewers is the opposite. It runs at 50-60 fps which means that the music is almost perfectly played back. I choose those map to do global test and I spent so much time with this music in my ears on loop that I loved it simply because I found it fitting for heavy thinking context which you need to do frequently in glitch hunting (trust me, you will be surprised what information would matter to know in this context).

But from the game perspective, it seems to sound too weird in smash. The thing I found impressing is how deep it is from the original underground theme that has like 20 notes looped. That alone isn't enough for me, but I would still want it for glitch hunting nostalgia.

The celling track is the simpliest out of all the drama track in the game. The one I liked was Danger! but still, would be more annoying than anything in smash. The music only works with the context only. It's not broad enough to be fitting in smash context imo.

Training battle is kinda weird. I never understood this track, but it may be a representation of how clueless you should be on first playing. That doesn't explain the gold fuzzy battle tough because there's a track called event battle that's only for mandatory battles or mini boss. Those are on a 'Can't flee this fight' despite not being a boss. It's quite consistent while the tutorial one is weird. I actually may add event battle if I haven't already, but I never understood how training battle matches the feel of being a beginner because it's only playing when you're supposed to learn stuff.

Oh, and has no flee anyway, but they are made to be easy anyway.

spm

Sorry, but even tough I listened the whole ost without context, I wasn't able to grasp most of them except ultimate show and lireland road. It seems to be a slight alteration of ttyd sound design, but the prsence of sounds is way more frequent. I was really curious, but since I have the game and want to be played spoiler free (except the plot twist at the end because of ultimate show, but that was worth it). So, just don't tell me the context and I may add some after I beat it, but that may not happen before trailer so I'll add as I play.

Sticker star:

I don't understand the sound design here. Only the last one would be added because it at least immerse and fit the location which I assumed is in dessert with the name. And the sound being fitting, but the others are...pointless to hear?

Ok, this will show why I really don't understand the logic in this game while spm looks to make a lot of sense.

Can you agree that except anything stickers, it's a similar visuals design from TTYD and spm without cubic shapes? Even the stage in ssb4 match ttyd like petal meadow in grass shape. Even pm64 seems to follow with colors being brighter.

So, by that logic, I should see a similar sound design like everything from TTYD which is using unusual and maybe unrelated sounds effects in the background of music to add even more immersion and consistency in the emotions. Here, I see so much unbalanced track that not only it's not even clear what was the intent of the music, but also an annoyance of being overloaded by useless sounds. The first one is really obvious that they didn't do a good job with their sound mixer. What is in background is too present while the sound effects are clearly not loud enough. They are so silent that I feel the background is the foreground. It's so messed up that I tough it was my wiiu gamepad speaker (they are set to surround) so, I took my headphones that should enhance the surround effect and it's still messed up. 3ds can make surround sound from speakers so this music feeling like a mono music where it should not isn't because of the system. Music like Nes one such as the original smb theme makes sense to be mono as it was designed to work on mono, but this music doesn't do anything and I think it would be better if they at least played with stereo effect. There's a big difference in immersion experience from mono to stereo with surround being like stereo with more channel so even better accuracy in sound position.

I will check on vlc to tell if it's stererio because the Paper Mario sound design always plays a lot with stereo effect that it's clear on headphones while being enough on speakers. I assume it's a boss fight and that's the most likely tracks to have stereo effects considering previous ost.

If you don't know how much significant the difference between mono and stereo is, listen to this with any headphones with the two ears plugged:

This game ost and so, this track is by far the track that makes the stereo effect the most obvious. It actually might cause slight dizziness by hearing it too much time in a row, but just once will be enough. The kyurem themes is really good because of the similar effect.

In Paper Mario, this effect is either used for sounds in background or for a whole background track and sound positioning. That's why the style of using this effect with unusual sounds makes the music so much more accurate to what it should do.

I think I just overkilled sound immersion didn't I?

lol, sorry about that, but that's why you should never play TTYD on mono. You would miss a lot of music awesomeness that you should just buy a cheap stereo TV. surround is optional, but does enhance the effect. Only music made to be in mono is ok in mono, but it shouldn't matter on stereo since it just plays the channel on both ears.

I'm more comfused about sticker star tough.

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
It will take a long time to add them, but I will add some (and I considered one of ttyd already and decided no for a reason).

pm64

the last 2 and shiver mountain. Even tought the first is the first boss, I found it to be too constant while trying to sound exciting. Maybe because of the bgm overhyping a little too much.

I won't add the title theme because I found the notes just 'weird'. But, the file selection theme is a version I like much better so I might add it.

over shiver mountain: that's the proof I need to play this game again at some point. I forgot this one even tough it's a really good one. Not only it's good immersion, but also because of how the beeps sounds like a siren or sort of. It gives a present, but slight dangerous feel mixed wit ice that is so matching. Worth the addition especially because it's immersive without context.

petunia under attack: This one is me forgeting a music that I even remember to particularily like. At first, I was wondering why even this game has a cheetahmen like music segment. Seriously, it's catchy, but even pokemon bw2 has one why it's used that much considering it was a bad game from the nes?

Anyway, it's still catchy. What I really like is the strong impact of the notes: that makes an instent umergency and intense feel. It's the sort of music that is exactly like shadow queen: it's designed to capt most of your attention without any context. With a context like a fight in smash, that fits perfectly. I think the only reason I did not add it was simply because of how the moment it played wasn't that much memorable. Then again, I forgot a lot.

sad sun: again, forgot, but that's a shame. Really, the melody capt so much the sadness that it will fit any sad and drepressing moment like final hours from majora's mask which was carefully made to even makes you feel powerless. That's the only kind of music that even manage to reflect accurately my feeling on every Sunday night while Monday morning is getting closer to end the week end comfort. That's actually worth mentioning to get this on ANY mario games and so deserves to be added despite not really fit in fight. There's music like these that I don't expect to be in at all, but want it because of the immersion.

TTYD:

I only considered rogueport sewers as I loved, but for circumstances that has nothing to do with the intent of the music. To glitch hunt, I have to run the game on emulator and that takes a lot of ressources. I have a 730$ computer that has ton of free space and having a decent configuration and I'm far from 60fps. It needs to convert the gamecube architecture that isn't common in pc today which makes emulation from a 2004 game difficult. In most places, I rrun at 40-50 fps so it's like from 2/3 to 5/6 of the native speed. It turns out that rogueport is so heavy that it runs at 35 and maybe 30 fps which is the half of the gamecube. I need sometime to do global test so I need to be as close as possible from rogueport North which is the most convenient map to go in any ch. If rogueport is annoying to run which makes the music horrible, the sewers is the opposite. It runs at 50-60 fps which means that the music is almost perfectly played back. I choose those map to do global test and I spent so much time with this music in my ears on loop that I loved it simply because I found it fitting for heavy thinking context which you need to do frequently in glitch hunting (trust me, you will be surprised what information would matter to know in this context).

But from the game perspective, it seems to sound too weird in smash. The thing I found impressing is how deep it is from the original underground theme that has like 20 notes looped. That alone isn't enough for me, but I would still want it for glitch hunting nostalgia.

The celling track is the simpliest out of all the drama track in the game. The one I liked was Danger! but still, would be more annoying than anything in smash. The music only works with the context only. It's not broad enough to be fitting in smash context imo.

Training battle is kinda weird. I never understood this track, but it may be a representation of how clueless you should be on first playing. That doesn't explain the gold fuzzy battle tough because there's a track called event battle that's only for mandatory battles or mini boss. Those are on a 'Can't flee this fight' despite not being a boss. It's quite consistent while the tutorial one is weird. I actually may add event battle if I haven't already, but I never understood how training battle matches the feel of being a beginner because it's only playing when you're supposed to learn stuff.

Oh, and has no flee anyway, but they are made to be easy anyway.

spm

Sorry, but even tough I listened the whole ost without context, I wasn't able to grasp most of them except ultimate show and lireland road. It seems to be a slight alteration of ttyd sound design, but the prsence of sounds is way more frequent. I was really curious, but since I have the game and want to be played spoiler free (except the plot twist at the end because of ultimate show, but that was worth it). So, just don't tell me the context and I may add some after I beat it, but that may not happen before trailer so I'll add as I play.

Sticker star:

I don't understand the sound design here. Only the last one would be added because it at least immerse and fit the location which I assumed is in dessert with the name. And the sound being fitting, but the others are...pointless to hear?

Ok, this will show why I really don't understand the logic in this game while spm looks to make a lot of sense.

Can you agree that except anything stickers, it's a similar visuals design from TTYD and spm without cubic shapes? Even the stage in ssb4 match ttyd like petal meadow in grass shape. Even pm64 seems to follow with colors being brighter.

So, by that logic, I should see a similar sound design like everything from TTYD which is using unusual and maybe unrelated sounds effects in the background of music to add even more immersion and consistency in the emotions. Here, I see so much unbalanced track that not only it's not even clear what was the intent of the music, but also an annoyance of being overloaded by useless sounds. The first one is really obvious that they didn't do a good job with their sound mixer. What is in background is too present while the sound effects are clearly not loud enough. They are so silent that I feel the background is the foreground. It's so messed up that I tough it was my wiiu gamepad speaker (they are set to surround) so, I took my headphones that should enhance the surround effect and it's still messed up. 3ds can make surround sound from speakers so this music feeling like a mono music where it should not isn't because of the system. Music like Nes one such as the original smb theme makes sense to be mono as it was designed to work on mono, but this music doesn't do anything and I think it would be better if they at least played with stereo effect. There's a big difference in immersion experience from mono to stereo with surround being like stereo with more channel so even better accuracy in sound position.

I will check on vlc to tell if it's stererio because the Paper Mario sound design always plays a lot with stereo effect that it's clear on headphones while being enough on speakers. I assume it's a boss fight and that's the most likely tracks to have stereo effects considering previous ost.

If you don't know how much significant the difference between mono and stereo is, listen to this with any headphones with the two ears plugged:

This game ost and so, this track is by far the track that makes the stereo effect the most obvious. It actually might cause slight dizziness by hearing it too much time in a row, but just once will be enough. The kyurem themes is really good because of the similar effect.

In Paper Mario, this effect is either used for sounds in background or for a whole background track and sound positioning. That's why the style of using this effect with unusual sounds makes the music so much more accurate to what it should do.

I think I just overkilled sound immersion didn't I?

lol, sorry about that, but that's why you should never play TTYD on mono. You would miss a lot of music awesomeness that you should just buy a cheap stereo TV. surround is optional, but does enhance the effect. Only music made to be in mono is ok in mono, but it shouldn't matter on stereo since it just plays the channel on both ears.

I'm more comfused about sticker star tough.
Hey, thanks for your honest opinions! I'll admit that some of these were a bit of a stretch, but like I said, I just picked up the remaining good songs. I also find the SPM soundtrack a bit underrated. I feel there are some great pieces in there, so listen to them when you can. Hopefully you weren't spoiled on the game's main storyline. SO GOOD. :surprised:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I swear if Dr. Mario gets in over Paper Mario. . .
And this is coming from a guy thats favorite Melee character is Dr. Mario.
:salt:

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I swear if Dr. Mario gets in over Paper Mario. . .
And this is coming from a guy thats favorite Melee character is Dr. Mario.
:salt:

I'll give you an advice:

Never bring leak stuff outside of leak thread or the leak group.

By experience, it went badly.

Also, it's possible to check the font which was used to debunk another leak so it's far from being sure and honestly, it looks weird.

So, I'm just going to tell you the following:

Assume false until proven otherwise.

Anyway, to avoid leak talk that can become bad for any thread, let me shift the topic where it should... (anyone wants to come back to sal leak time? Because that was hard for support at this time).

I bring up the ideas of seeing boss hazard on the theater stage, but what about enemies?

There's several enemies that are variations of the main one only present in the series. Like poisonous piranha plant or koopinator. Others are original like the whole x naut group, spinia or I think bandits, but not sure. Even if they would take main enemies, they still would look different because of the design (and some even got altered like the koopa having sunglasses...why btw?).

So, if enemies other than bosses was there as hazard, who would you want and what it could do?

It can go into gimmicks too.

quotidianmusic

Smash Rookie
I'm sure Sakurai would want to borrow from Sticker Star (especially because he already has) if he were to put Paper Mario in the game. So if that happens, I think the main two enemies I'd like to see make a comeback would be the acoustic guitar, sombrero wearing Shy Guy and the Giant Squid boss. Both were musical enemies that I thought added a ton to the texture of the game, probably my favorite parts of it actually, so it would be cool if they could be worked in. I could definitely see the musical Shy Guy in Smash Run, adding a little guitar track to the background like in Sticker Star.Also, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but I think for a stage hazard on the Theater stage it would be pretty cool if the audience threw items like they did in TTYD.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999

I'll give you an advice:

Never bring leak stuff outside of leak thread or the leak group.

By experience, it went badly.

Also, it's possible to check the font which was used to debunk another leak so it's far from being sure and honestly, it looks weird.

So, I'm just going to tell you the following:

Assume false until proven otherwise.

Anyway, to avoid leak talk that can become bad for any thread, let me shift the topic where it should... (anyone wants to come back to sal leak time? Because that was hard for support at this time).

I bring up the ideas of seeing boss hazard on the theater stage, but what about enemies?

There's several enemies that are variations of the main one only present in the series. Like poisonous piranha plant or koopinator. Others are original like the whole x naut group, spinia or I think bandits, but not sure. Even if they would take main enemies, they still would look different because of the design (and some even got altered like the koopa having sunglasses...why btw?).

So, if enemies other than bosses was there as hazard, who would you want and what it could do?

It can go into gimmicks too.
I would like to see some Spike Goombas and Duplighosts definitely! Maybe some cloud enemies considering they've been in every Paper Mario game bar SS

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I would like to see some Spike Goombas and Duplighosts definitely! Maybe some cloud enemies considering they've been in every Paper Mario game bar SS
Sticker Star did the exact opposite of what fans wanted. They removed any characters that debuted in Paper Mario or any character that only appears in Paper Mario. Does that make any sense? To remove characters that are unique to the series and are well received?
:facepalm:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Apparently this came from Famitsu...

Smash got a Bowser's Castle after all. It's just not the castle people were expecting. :p

EDIT:

Hmm...

The entire stage is called "Paper Mario".

Looks like that's the death knell for the little guy himself. :(

Last edited:

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Apparently this came from Famitsu...

Smash got a Bowser's Castle after all. It's just not the castle people were expecting. :p

EDIT:

Hmm...

The entire stage is called "Paper Mario".

Bowser's Castle from Paper Mario N64 OMG YESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Oh wow! This stage looks amazing!

If we don't see a Wii U stage, then I think you could be right. However, if he were to appear, I could see the Wii U stage being revealed along with Paper Mario.

Bowser's Castle from Paper Mario N64 OMG YESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!
I believe that's actually from Sticker Star.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
WTH???

Guys, this may be the best evidence for him EVER depending on the translation (someone needs to ask venus).

Bowser castle is one of the most requested stage.

From what series that a bowser castle is actually a real stage?

Paper Mario.

Out of like most main mario game and even mario kart which were also on handheld, they took THE one from that sub series.

Remember, TTYD is repped on the same stage while having the other 2 segment for handheld rep only makes even less sense.

He's so likely if I got this right. Like VERY likely. I'm going to analyse the text and picture later, but for now, I want to know one thing:

I want translation on the whole text attached from a native speaker.

This was so unexpected.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
WTH???

Guys, this may be the best evidence for him EVER depending on the translation (someone needs to ask venus).

Bowser castle is one of the most requested stage.

From what series that a bowser castle is actually a real stage?

Paper Mario.

Out of like most main mario game and even mario kart which were also on handheld, they took THE one from that sub series.

Remember, TTYD is repped on the same stage while having the other 2 segment for handheld rep only makes even less sense.

He's so likely if I got this right. Like VERY likely. I'm going to analyse the text and picture later, but for now, I want to know one thing:

I want translation on the whole text attached from a native speaker.

This was so unexpected.
You are getting your hopes up for some crushing disappointment. If I am reading that right, they're only talking about a single Paper Mario stage, and it's the same one we've already seen.

Top Bottom