• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Thinner character, bigger appeal!" Paper Mario for SSB4; Thread migration soon!

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
You are getting your hopes up for some crushing disappointment. If I am reading that right, they're only talking about a single Paper Mario stage, and it's the same one we've already seen.
That's exactly why it would helps don't you get it?

Seeing hither tither hill AND SS flavion on the same stage makes a WiiU stage likely.

Seeing another segment from the same stage showing the most requested stage from sticker star and not another stage on that location can't be a coincidence.

Why they took this location, THE ONLY HANDEHELD VERSION from the Paper Mario series?

That's why I want translation.

EDIT:

Also can you remind me what disappointment is again? I forgot it and I seem to not remember more because of a third segment.

I think you'll get what I mean.

Last edited:

tsvlink25

Smash Apprentice
NNID
tsvlink25
3DS FC
1719-3628-9238
I love the glimpse of the Sticker Star Bowser Castle!
Personally, I feel this can go two ways...
1) If the stage is really called "Paper Mario," that could potentially (or definitely) lower Paper Mario's chances, if not deconfirming him, as we've never had a stage and a character share a name.
OR
2) As aldelaro5 said, this can really increase Paper Mario's chances.

I can't wait to see more on this.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I love the glimpse of the Sticker Star Bowser Castle!
Personally, I feel this can go two ways...
1) If the stage is really called "Paper Mario," that could potentially (or definitely) lower Paper Mario's chances, if not deconfirming him, as we've never had a stage and a character share a name.
OR
2) As aldelaro5 said, this can really increase Paper Mario's chances.

I can't wait to see more on this.
The name would do nothing anyway.

There's still no wiiu stage so question:

What if it reps all games? It still could be like pokemon.

And the name would have to be series context.

Wait, that makes own entity more likely now.

Gosh did he just give that tease on the infamous date of August 20?

Like he enhanced his tease if the stage is called like that. Everyone can play on that stage it makes no sense for character context.

THAT'S EXACTLY LIKE JULY 29 AND I KNOW A TEASE THAT DID THE SAME!!!

Ok...I need to calm down so I can think. I can confirm this however: I will make an essay with the usual sanctuary guardians. I can't believe that not only the location itself is the most requested location and is Paper Mario related, but also this teasing.

tsvlink25

Smash Apprentice
NNID
tsvlink25
3DS FC
1719-3628-9238
Wait, so this makes (technically) a second tease for Paper Mario, on ANOTHER date significant to the Paper Mario series? When is the next significant date?

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Wait, so this makes (technically) a second tease for Paper Mario, on ANOTHER date significant to the Paper Mario series? When is the next significant date?
Nope August 20 is very significant for another tease that happens to do the same thing:

Ridley.

It's ironic because it's not related to Ridley, and don't worry, it's probably coincidence. It's infamous because it's the 1 year anniversary of the start of the tease itself. I think you get why this date is so remembered.

Here's what happened: On August 20 2013, Sakurai put Ridley on objective 50/50 which means that only 2 case is implied: playable or hazard. You just can't be sure because of how unclear it was.

On April 8 2014, he did this again with the 10 seconds clip. The quote have 2 interpretation that is telling 2 meaning completely opposite which is playable or hazards. You shouldn't be able to tell, but the shadow was why this tease got so controversial and infamous.

Here, it started on July 29 2014 by saying Paper Mario which is series context implied. It's not clear if it's general or smash context.

Revealing the name being the same is also the same thing.

Remember, if you want to even mention the name of the series, you CANNOT and I mean you CANNOT even possibly avoid to mention the following sequence of letters: "Paper Mario". Which means that it cannot be implied UNLESS with a context and it happens that this context is NOT KNOWN and NOT CLEAR.

That's why I'm freaking out now and I really need to calm down.

tsvlink25

Smash Apprentice
NNID
tsvlink25
3DS FC
1719-3628-9238
Nope August 20 is very significant for another tease that happens to do the same thing:

Ridley.

It's ironic because it's not related to Ridley, and don't worry, it's probably coincidence. It's infamous because it's the 1 year anniversary of the start of the tease itself. I think you get why this date is so remembered.

Here's what happened: On August 20 2013, Sakurai put Ridley on objective 50/50 which means that only 2 case is implied: playable or hazard. You just can't be sure because of how unclear it was.

On April 8 2014, he did this again with the 10 seconds clip. The quote have 2 interpretation that is telling 2 meaning completely opposite which is playable or hazards. You shouldn't be able to tell, but the shadow was why this tease got so controversial and infamous.

Here, it started on July 29 2014 by saying Paper Mario which is series context implied. It's not clear if it's general or smash context.

Revealing the name being the same is also the same thing.

Remember, if you want to even mention the name of the series, you CANNOT and I mean you CANNOT even possibly avoid to mention the following sequence of letters: "Paper Mario". Which means that it cannot be implied UNLESS with a context and it happens that this context is NOT KNOWN and NOT CLEAR.

That's why I'm freaking out now and I really need to calm down.

Oh, I see what you mean with everything now.

Also, I had an idea for the possible Wii U TTYD battle stage.
Rather than have the normal character entrances while the countdown sounds, what if it was a closed curtain, and it rises? Once risen, either all the characters are already in place, or just finished their entrance? Once it has fully risen, "GO" sounds, and the smashing begins?

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
If there was a Wii U Paper Mario stage, it would have more of the console references in it, right? Wouldn't it make more sense to save the Paper Mario Bowser's Castle for the Wii U stage, if that were the case?

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
If there was a Wii U Paper Mario stage, it would have more of the console references in it, right? Wouldn't it make more sense to save the Paper Mario Bowser's Castle for the Wii U stage, if that were the case?
You're getting closer than you would think to the tease itself.

That's the point of the tease: why not revealing WiiU stage before?

Trailers are only WiiU stage except the pacman one that did both. No trailer showed ONLY 3ds stage.

He revealed a 3ds one.

To hide a WiiU one.

He didn't mentioned Sticker star on potd, but he did on TTYD.

The segment from console is the most appreciated game of the series.

And this happening repeating the tease pattern.

I don't think coincidence is likely now.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
You're getting closer than you would think to the tease itself.

That's the point of the tease: why not revealing WiiU stage before?

Trailers are only WiiU stage except the pacman one that did both. No trailer showed ONLY 3ds stage.

He revealed a 3ds one.

To hide a WiiU one.

He didn't mentioned Sticker star on potd, but he did on TTYD.

The segment from console is the most appreciated game of the series.

And this happening repeating the tease pattern.

I don't think coincidence is likely now.
I think you're completely overlooking the fact that there may, quite simply, only be a 3DS stage, and there might not be any Paper Mario stage on the Wii U at all.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I think you're completely overlooking the fact that there may, quite simply, only be a 3DS stage, and there might not be any Paper Mario stage on the Wii U at all.
Ok, just going to link to my full theory I made because you have to be aware of it to know what I mean that getting a WiiU stage is likely.

http://smashboards.com/threads/infi...ed-as-stage-part.324473/page-32#post-17280871

If you don't understand, then we'll see what will happen. Like I said, not going to be disappointed both case.

Also, I just heard that Ridley got a tease announcement today. So, August 20 might be related after all, but let's just think before claiming since I don't know if it was a tease, but it seems to be one.

Also, it's again, good if you're sceptical. Even me I have a bit of it, but not that much. It varies.

I was supposed to play TTYD and add the music in the OP, but this might just stole my free time. I did not expected a tease enhancement on the same day that another tease got one on his 1 year anniversary.

Why both cases happened like this? They're completely unrelated, but this is getting serious.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Ok, just going to link to my full theory I made because you have to be aware of it to know what I mean that getting a WiiU stage is likely.

http://smashboards.com/threads/infi...ed-as-stage-part.324473/page-32#post-17280871

If you don't understand, then we'll see what will happen. Like I said, not going to be disappointed both case.

Also, I just heard that Ridley got a tease announcement today. So, August 20 might be related after all, but let's just think before claiming since I don't know if it was a tease, but it seems to be one.

Also, it's again, good if you're sceptical. Even me I have a bit of it, but not that much. It varies.

I was supposed to play TTYD and add the music in the OP, but this might just stole my free time. I did not expected a tease enhancement on the same day that another tease got one on his 1 year anniversary.

Why both cases happened like this? They're completely unrelated, but this is getting serious.
The two teases are not similar, though. The Ridley tease (whether for a playable character or a boss) was a tease. It was hinting at something, not showing it. The stage tease wasn't a tease. It was just presenting the stage. There was no reference to the character, no hint of playability. It's an expansion of the Paper Mario series representation, but nothing at all to indicate anything more than that.

I really think you're blowing this up a lot bigger than it is. I think they made a Paper Mario stage, but that it's considered just another part of the Mario series representation, the same way a Super Mario Strikers stage would be if we got it. I think it will use the Mario icon, and I don't think we're getting a playable Paper Mario. As awesome as he would be, I just don't see it making it, and I really think you're getting overhyped for nothing. Not trying to dampen your spirits, but I really think if you keep building this and building this, you're going to be crushed when it turns out the only Paper Mario rep is the 3DS stage.

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
You are getting your hopes up for some crushing disappointment. If I am reading that right, they're only talking about a single Paper Mario stage, and it's the same one we've already seen.
You are setting yourself up for shocking surprise. :shades:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
You are setting yourself up for shocking surprise. :shades:
Good?

I'll be thrilled if Paper Mario makes it in, and I like good surprises. I just honestly don't see any way he's going to make it in-game.

I'd rather be surprised with joyous news than crushed by utter disappointment. Especially since most of the hype is being built on (in my mind) incredibly flimsy supports.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I find Paper Mario somewhat unlikely, but I think he has a decent shot. Too good to be true. My expectations for the remaining roster aren't high, not at all.

Last edited:

MischF

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrueMischF
The two teases are not similar, though. The Ridley tease (whether for a playable character or a boss) was a tease. It was hinting at something, not showing it. The stage tease wasn't a tease. It was just presenting the stage. There was no reference to the character, no hint of playability. It's an expansion of the Paper Mario series representation, but nothing at all to indicate anything more than that.

I really think you're blowing this up a lot bigger than it is. I think they made a Paper Mario stage, but that it's considered just another part of the Mario series representation, the same way a Super Mario Strikers stage would be if we got it. I think it will use the Mario icon, and I don't think we're getting a playable Paper Mario. As awesome as he would be, I just don't see it making it, and I really think you're getting overhyped for nothing. Not trying to dampen your spirits, but I really think if you keep building this and building this, you're going to be crushed when it turns out the only Paper Mario rep is the 3DS stage.
I think it's fair to add that as a sort of tease. A lot more of it is speculation but I feel like once you have something more major in your favor, like having a stage, it is more acceptable to tag on the little things. I also believe that stages are very important when looking for newcomers because so far it seems like every newcomer I can think of had a stage revealed before they were announced. For example:

Paulatena - Temple
Miis - Find Mii(?)
Robin - Arena Ferox
Greninja - Prism Tower
Little Mac - Boxing Ring

Idk about Rosalina because I didn't pay enough attention to updates at that time and the other newcomers would have been obvious if their stage was revealed before hand.

As for potential reveals:

Ridley - Pyrosphere
Paper Mario - SS Flavion

Shulk would not have a stage announced because like some of the newcomers because it would be too obvious he was joining the battle.

I know I'm missing a good portion of possibilities but I am really bad about keeping up with stages even though I believe they are important.

Last edited:

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
Good?

I'll be thrilled if Paper Mario makes it in, and I like good surprises. I just honestly don't see any way he's going to make it in-game.

I'd rather be surprised with joyous news than crushed by utter disappointment. Especially since most of the hype is being built on (in my mind) incredibly flimsy supports.
That was just a joke. But honestly.. let's toss aside whether or not you think he's getting in. Sometimes you should just let people be happy and not try to argue against everything they say.. especially in a place specifically meant for people to get their hopes up. A character thread. And I've read your posts fully, they're a lot less like "saving someone from being disappointed" and more like being a total downer. Pretty sick of seeing this type of stuff in character threads.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
That was just a joke. But honestly.. let's toss aside whether or not you think he's getting in. Sometimes you should just let people be happy and not try to argue against everything they say.. especially in a place specifically meant for people to get their hopes up. A character thread. And I've read your posts fully, they're a lot less like "saving someone from being disappointed" and more like being a total downer. Pretty sick of seeing this type of stuff in character threads.
Well, there is admittedly some slight annoyance on my part as I feel that a straightforward stage reveal has been blown massively out of proportion, and that likely did influence my spirit-dampening a bit.

I really wish we'd get a new handheld Paper Mario that lives up to the standard of Thousand Year Door.

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
WHAAAAT?!? I was so busy reading the dumb fake roster post that I didn't even see this. Kind of wish it was from N64, but I'll still gladly take it. Sure, this image might mean nothing for him, but it personally means a lot to me, since it seems like we aren't getting recognition for PM64 or SPM yet. Oh, and I can't wait for your new, huge, upcoming essay, @ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 Here's hoping.

D

Deleted member

This guy is probably going to make it, 2nd most likely character next to Ridley imo. Anyway, here is a moveset I made!
He is fast and strong, but he is very light (duh).
Specials

Neutral Special (Tattlers):
Goombella rushes and uses headbonk to hit an enemy twice (4% each)
Custom 1:
Goombario uses headbonk as well, but is slower and hits once (10%)
Custom 2:
Tippi makes a small circle akin to Super Paper Mario's version in front of Mario to stun enemies for a short while.

Side Special (Shell Toss):
Paper Mario summons Koops, who jumps into his shell and rolls forward for mild damage, but doesn't disappear when he hits an enemy, which is great for free for alls. At the end of the attack he spins in place for a bit. (9% Intial; 3% Spinning)
Custom 1 (Dizzy Shell):
Kooper comes to aid Mario instead, and unleashes the Dizzy Shell move:
This attack goes faster than Koops and leaves a whirlwind trail behind it to hit opponents that Roll out of the way. However, it only hits one enemy before disappearing. (12% Shell; 4% Wind trail)
Custom 2 (Shell Toss):
Paper Mario uses the Shell sticker to kick it forward exactly like Koops, but without as much startup and the Shell moves faster than Kooper. (7%)

Down Special (Bombs Away):
Boomer is placed on the ground set to explode shortly (12%)
Custom 1:
Bombette explodes almost immediately (8%)
Custom 2:
The admiral takes a long time to explode, but he is very powerful (17%)
Up Special (Parakarry Flight):
Parakarry picks Paper Mario up and flies forward, gaining some altitude along the way. His wings hurt enemies (2%)
Custom 1 (Carrie Me Home):
Carrie appears on the scene, and takes Paper Mario a distance a bit farther than Falco's side B fast. Mario can jump off Carrie to avoid helpless state, but he doesn't go the full way.
Custom 2 (Super Jump):
Paper Mario uses his Super Jump from TTYD/Paper Luigi's Super Jump from Super Paper Mario. He charges it up briefly before leaping very high, but not that far horizontally. Mario crashes straight down until hitting a ledge, a platform, or solid ground. (14%)

Final Smash (Stampede):
Baby Yoshi has tons of Paper Yoshi flood the stage and mob the opponents!
Smashes
Forward Smash:
(16-22%)
Down Smash: Paper Mario spins in place with his hammer, contorting his paper self
(15%-21%)
Up Smash: Paper Mario puts this on
(14%-20%)
Tilts and Jab Combo
Forward Tilt: Vivian appears and uses Shade Fist
(10%)
Down Tilt: Sushie is summoned to use Squirt, but with much less range
(8%)
Up Tilt:
Fleep appears above Paper Mario and twirls like he does when flipping objects (9%)
Jab Combo: This uses the Slaphammer
A- A hit with his hammer (2%) AA- Same thing, but opposite direction (2%) AAA- Paper Mario swings his hammer like a baseball bat (4%)
Aerials
Neutral Aerial:
Flurrie uses Gale Force. No knockback is dealt. (8%)
Forward Aerial:
Paper Mario turns into a paper airplane and glides forward a bit longer than Jigglypuff's Forward Special takes her. This aids his recovery. (6%)
Back Aerial:
Paper Mario hops into Lakilester's cloud and Lakilester performs Spiny Flip by tossing a spiny a short distance behind him. (15%)
Down Aerial:
Thudley appears as Paper Mario uses a ground pound (14%)
Up Aerial:
Paper Mario holds a Poison Mushroom above him, causing him to take 2%. If he hits an enemy with it, they get poisoned and take 2% every half-second for 4 seconds but no knockback, or 16% total.
Grab
Thoreau appears and gives Paper Mario an extended grab range along with a tether recovery.
Pummel: Paper Mario whacks the enemy with his hammer (3%)
Throws
Forward Throw: Thoreau throws whoever he is holding forward (7%)
Back Throw: Paper Mario hits the enemy with his hammer like this:
(8%)
Down Throw: Paper Mario jumps on the enemy, sending them upwards (8%)
Up Throw: Thoreau throws whoever he is holding upwards (7%)
Miscellaneous
Shield: Paper Mario uses his Guard move when he shields
The shield itself is Barry's ability, but it is only aesthetic.

Dash:
Dashell appears behind Paper Mario whenever he dashes.
Spotdodge: Paper Mario uses Paper Mode.

Edit: Just changed my Bandana Dee signature icon to a Paper Mario one since I can't fit anymore, and its pretty obvious I support Bandana Dee as he is my avatar.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
Well, there is admittedly some slight annoyance on my part as I feel that a straightforward stage reveal has been blown massively out of proportion, and that likely did influence my spirit-dampening a bit.

I really wish we'd get a new handheld Paper Mario that lives up to the standard of Thousand Year Door.
I can see where you are coming from. And I still wish that Sticker Star had been like that. :( If 2/3 of the paper mario stage is from Sticker Star and there are no other segments I'll be pretty disappointed. Though the NSMB one had more than 3 changes, right? We'll probably just have to wait for release to see them all.

This guy is probably going to make it, 2nd most likely character next to Ridley imo. Anyway, here is a moveset I made!
Specials

Custom 1:
Custom 2:
Tippi makes a small circle akin to Super Paper Mario's version in front of Mario to stun enemies for a short while.

Paper Mario summons Koops, who jumps into his shell and rolls forward for mild damage, but doesn't disappear when he hits an enemy, which is great for free for alls. At the end of the attack he spins in place for a bit. (9% Intial; 3% Spinning)
Custom 1 (Dizzy Shell):
This attack goes faster than Koops and leaves a whirlwind trail behind it to hit opponents that Roll out of the way. However, it only hits one enemy before disappearing. (12% Shell; 4% Wind trail)
Custom 2 (Shell Toss):
Paper Mario uses the Shell sticker to kick it forward exactly like Koops, but without as much startup and the Shell moves faster. (7%)

Custom 1:
Custom 2:
Parakarry picks Paper Mario up and flies forward, gaining some altitude along the way. His wings hurt enemies (2%)
Carrie appears on the scene, and takes Paper Mario a distance a bit farther than Falco's side B fast. Mario can jump off Carrie to avoid helpless state, but he doesn't go the full way.
Custom 2 (Super Jump):
Paper Mario uses his Super Jump from TTYD/Paper Luigi's Super Jump from Super Paper Mario. He charges it up briefly before leaping very high, but not that far horizontally. Mario crashes straight down until hitting a ledge, a platform, or solid ground. (15%)

Final Smash (Stampede):
Smashes
Forward Smash:
(19-26%)
Down Smash: Paper Mario spins in place with his hammer, contorting his paper self
(17%-24%)
(14%-22%)
Tilts and Jab Combo
(11%)
(8%)
Up Tilt:
Fleep appears above Paper Mario and twirls like he does when flipping objects (10%)
A- A hit with his hammer (2%) AA- Same thing, but opposite direction (2%) AAA- Paper Mario swings his hammer like a baseball bat (4%)
Aerials
Neutral Aerial:
Forward Aerial:
Paper Mario turns into a paper airplane and glides forward a bit longer than Jigglypuff's Forward Special takes her. This aids his recovery. (6%)
Back Aerial:
Paper Mario hops into Lakilester's cloud and Lakilester performs Spiny Flip by tossing a spiny a short distance behind him. (15%)
Down Aerial:
Up Aerial:
Paper Mario holds a Poison Mushroom above him, causing him to take 2%. If he hits an enemy with it, they get poisoned and take 2% every half-second for 4 seconds but no knockback, or 16% total.
Grab
Thoreau appears and gives Paper Mario an extended grab range along with a tether recovery.
Throws
(8%)
Miscellaneous

Dash:

Edit: Just changed my Bandana Dee signature icon to a Paper Mario one since I can't fit anymore, and its pretty obvious I support Bandana Dee as he is my avatar.
Yeah, it was just recently confirmed that characters have unique assets made just for custom moves with megaman, yes? This opens up even more potential for Paper Mario's moveset, as seen by yours. I pretty much just stated the obvious, but I realized what it could mean for other characters like him and I'm excited!

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Can Someone catch me up? I've been gone all day. Is Bowser's Castle from PM64 or SS?

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Honestly, that's his right to share his sceptimism especially if it is related to a tease.

Because even myself have some sceptimism and like others said, it just might be too good to be true and the reason I think what is more likely is interpreting the circumstances comparing to previous tease, nothing is absolute. Let's be honest: I said [almost confirmed] on Ridley which represents the highest chance rating possible from any subjective standpoint. It's like so close to 100% without being 100%. Saying [confirmed] or [deconfirmed] is literally contradictory because you can't provide evidence to be objective.

Which leads me to this question that anyone even me should answer NO: Are you absolutely sure at 100% of your mind that he's playable?

You could be as sure as possible and still have to answer NO. in theory, that's what a tease should do. In practice however, it was made for a hidden purpose and that's when subjective comes: what is the purpose?

Which means that having sceptimism for a tease is good. Not only you're closer to take both cases as "maybe", but also that if the most unexpected happen, it's surprising. If it is the expected result, it's still good because you acknowledged that you were ok with it.

If you read the beginning of the post, I think you know what I mean by finding this theory "dangerous". That was me looking at the thing as a whole and honestly, I couldn't believe it could even be possible, but let's say it was true and it is the best case possible in a trailer:

What do you think would be my reaction? Mind blown.

The only thing that would convince me that what I tough could happen will happen is seeing it in front of my face. If under any circumstances, my mind can't take the very first second, what do you think I should feel before it happens?

Again, that's the point of teasing. I can tell you that the little mac reveal made a lot of people even those who believed in the stage tease surprise and hype. No one can avoid this unless you don't care, but that's another story.

So, I'm fine if he's telling that it's not sure and that I may overhype stuff because frankly, I didn't wanted to post this for the same reason. It just kept grudging my emotions that at one point, I had to tell it.

And let's be honest: the only objective statement I can tell is that it's unsure.

So, please, let him comment if he wants.

However, I want to say the following for the last time since I don't think you understand.

I don't care as much about the roster as other do. I'm focusing more on general repping which includes the roster. To give you an idea, Ridley and Paper Mario are the only newcomers I care. Rest? Neutral or sceptimism, but still neutral. I don't hate anybody. However, considering that smash should rep nintendo by its masterpieces, that's why I was upset after seeing the TTYD repping on brawl. It appears I had several issues with the repping, but this one kinda became to me care about this. I will be honest, I loved so much this game that I wanted that others would live this.

Which is the whole reason I'm determined here, but what you don't seem to realise is that for myself, it's done. Like, I got what I wanted 22 days ago so I could even left smashboards an be happy with the game.

However, since I just love so much this series and speculating on it especially with the best activity I could have, it was better to stay. Not to mention that what I want to do is share love which is not only me.

Here's what I claimed to be my last worry of this game: not getting the repping further than trophy and not getting at the very least ONE music.

I said this several time in this very thread and I got a stage so it implies 2 music and even repping for THE game I wanted the most. I got more than I wanted do I have any reason to complain about what isn't there?

Doing it is me being an hypocrite. That's why he could deconfirm him directly on a the day before the release and I'll still be happy to have at least the stage. With this section, I have even less reasons.

In other words, I could say the most non sense claim ever and be proven at 100% wrong due to overhype and it still won't be bad for my view on the game.

So, it's not true when you are saying for me only that I'm "setting for disappointment" since I got cleared of my last worry. I can't be disappointed, but I tough I was clear enough.

What is granted is granted. What isn't isn't, but if what is granted is enough, don't be mad to not get what you hope that isn't granted.

So, that's why I'm ok to have a very entitled view on the tease, because no matter what would happen in the end, I'm still going to enjoy the stage and be ok with it.

I really tough I was very clear, but yes, I do acknowledge how far I'm pushing this and yes it's scary, but it doesn't change the objective fact that I got more than I wanted.

Ok, now, I hope I was clear enough. Of course, I'm hoping like others here since, well, support thread, but also because I just like to be hype while reading it and hype myself for a possible tease to then play TTYD.

Now, let me just update stuff (I lost any minute of TTYD).

As you might be aware, the OP is updated. I will try to add music and this section in the OP. The tittle is JUST at the character limit so I have to say "part" instead of "Segment". Sorry for that, but that's spam prevention so it's fine.

Now, I know I did compared to Ridley. That's not the whole tease obviously, this one is FAR from it. I was just pointing out the similarity of the pattern. Both was triggered by an unclear statement having 2 possible interpretations that are opposite. One implies playable and the other not playable. After a certain amount of time, another statement still unclear and it would implies the same outcomes. Naming the stage "Paper Mario" can be interpreted the same way of the mention in July 29. I was just finding weird that apparently, Ridley would maybe have been teased today, but again, that's not April 8 category and is kinda hard to be sure on this one.

Also, yes I calmed down. Tough, be ready to see badly explained statement because I just want to freak out. Same thing happened on July 29 (hey, I'm sure those who were on the potd thread that day can confirm this). That's why i do an essay after some time, to consider carefully when I'm ready to.

I still haven't analysed the pic tough. Like I just made this up in an hour how can I be accurate after careful thinking? Tough, you have to wait for better explanation that would be made in several hours after thinking. I think everyday in my free time anyway.

As for translation, I don't have one, but apparently, the stage is named "Paper Mario" and like I said, it would help the tease. Tough, I think the location helps more.

The only thing that would annoy the purpose of the thread is intentionally prevent support. Claiming sceptimism is not doing this. I mean you can share your concern, but as long as it doesn't prevent hope. Skyblade is doing it appropriately so please, let him talk.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Ok, the page has been translated.

A stage that has features like paper. With the passage of time, various situations arise in the manner of a pop-up book.
Sooooo it didn't confirm nor deny anything beyond what the stage name "Paper Mario" already did.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

Sooooo it didn't confirm nor deny anything beyond what the stage name "Paper Mario" already did.
Thanks, now I can finally tell that yes, I think it's likely a tease enhancement.

First, they didn't introduce the whole stage. I know it's nothing, but it's false in theory, lol.

Second, yes, it does indeed confirm the name with the quote. That's now objective and thus, undeniable. I still want to remind that the context isn't. Though, at least it seems to be consistent to the previous tease.

I noticed 2 things that was not there that shows that it's not bad to get these info. First, did you notice that one the general paragraph, it tells the 2 stages and seems to ignore the Paper Mario one. Does it implies something? Can't be known, but it could just have his own thing with the segment reveal Which brings me to my second point: it's repeating already known info while tbh, the bowser castle picture just seems to just sit there and act like it was usual. I found weird how the only thing famitsu had to say to this is "hey, it has tranformations". while we know that you do have other things to say. Reminds me the first time Xearnas was shown like it's obvious that you do have something to say and that by saying the opposite, you just imply that you're lying and that is funny.

Anyway, it's still the picture and nothing else attached to it that is new. The name, again, could be in general context or smash context. For a stage when any playable character can be there, it's the series context. Tough, at least we know now.

I'm going to be honest, I did not want stuff like this to happen because it would break the tease while what is there is even more unclear. The stage name as still an unclear context, we again, saw the TTYD pic and hither tither hill got ignored and the only big reveal has no comments that is new.

I don't see why it's bad. I have to agree tough, I did overhype the thing when I said that it's the best evidence...no. It's just me assuming it's the only bowser castle we got. What I'm going to say is that yes this reveal is likely a follow up to the previous so it does help his case more and I think it's enough to deserve consideration. However, don't take me that serious when I freaked out it's not almost confirmed. I may claim [very likely] because of how serious I consider tease, but bowser castle is he most requested mario location as stage. I just don't feel they took the one in sticker star for that stage to be a coincidence. It's subjective, but I just found this suspicious to just do a hit and run. You know, most teases could be interpreted as an hit and run. So, it doesn't confirm anything, but it's enough to tell that it's fishy.

So, I technically can do my essay, but I have to check deeper first. I'll just replace the pic in the OP and try to change the tittle to reflect the new name.

Like I do have to admit that the name is kinda weird and that's from general perspective. That's like saying that delfino plaza is named "super mario sunshine" like it's just generic for no reason.

Which now, it might leads to consider a thing I tough to be unlikely for no solid reason and just gut feeling: what if the stage was the same name between the 2 versions, but shows different segment?

I mean think about it, what you do in the paper Mario series that has to do with locations? You travel between locations and transitions every time in ch or in between ch. It could make sense for the series, but another question had to be said for the name.

Imagine talking about the stage. You would literally say stuff from the "Paper Mario" stage.

Euh...ok it's Paper Mario related, but then?

See, it's just awkward. The whole stage is ambiguous: how does it rep the series EXACTLY? Like are you considering the 4 games as one dynamic location or just a generic stage?

Because it's not even clear if we'll get PM64 and spm. And I still don't understand why TTYD is there. Like imagine TTYD wasn't there, that could be clear now. The stage is repping only one game so calling it like this is basically saying that it considers the latest game as one location.

Here, I have no idea. I may not be able to tell, but I have so much question that I need to check every possible case.

That is so suspicous though...

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
I can't believe I missed the news!

It's great to hear that Bowser's Castle is part of the Paper Mario stage.
Now I'm just hoping for Shy Guy's toybox to round it all off!

Last edited:

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
Yeah. But just as he has the right to share his skepticism I have the right to feel as if it's almost going a tad overboard in places. I'm not stopping him just by saying what I did. I wasn't exactly telling him to stop dead in his tracks either, I just feel that a lot of people who argue against this kind of discussion (in various threads) tend to reach a certain point where the demeanor of their text starts getting a little.. bothersome.

You probably just have more patience with people on here than I do. I don't even know this community very well, lol. But yeah, wasn't trying to silence anybody's voice there.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
See, I think the stage thing massively hurts Paper Mario, BECAUSE of the Thousand Year Door bit. It seems to be highly indicative that the stage is a single stage to represent all of the Paper Mario series. This would also seem to be representing Paper Mario as part of the Mario franchise, rather than its own thing.

If Paper Mario were playable, I think it far more likely that the various aspects of this stage would be turned into their own stages. We might get a Sticker Star transforming stage on the 3DS, but then a completely different Thousand Year Door stage on the Wii U, and maybe a couple more besides.

This feels like they're cramming all the representation into one stage, which does massively hurt his chances, in my opinion.

D

Deleted member

See, I think the stage thing massively hurts Paper Mario, BECAUSE of the Thousand Year Door bit. It seems to be highly indicative that the stage is a single stage to represent all of the Paper Mario series. This would also seem to be representing Paper Mario as part of the Mario franchise, rather than its own thing.

If Paper Mario were playable, I think it far more likely that the various aspects of this stage would be turned into their own stages. We might get a Sticker Star transforming stage on the 3DS, but then a completely different Thousand Year Door stage on the Wii U, and maybe a couple more besides.

This feels like they're cramming all the representation into one stage, which does massively hurt his chances, in my opinion.
Or it could be the only Paper Mario stage, just on both versions. Kinda like Wily Castle and the Boxing Ring.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Or it could be the only Paper Mario stage, just on both versions. Kinda like Wily Castle and the Boxing Ring.
Which would be awesome. Though I do wonder why, since they have several different ideas for stages, they just crammed them into one stage instead of separating them into multiples.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I need to adress previous replies since I missed a lot because tease talk.

Music section got updated, thanks @ MegaMarioMan9 MegaMarioMan9

@ Craxian Craxian , you're added. Thanks for supporting a

addition.

Can Someone catch me up? I've been gone all day. Is Bowser's Castle from PM64 or SS?
From SS and it's actually from first look good. I still need to check the picture, but again, it doesn't seem to be bad and to be good.

And it would help a tease. It's confusing honestly especially because the stage is called "Paper Mario". There's like multiple interpretation possible and I have too much question now, but what I'm sure is it's fishy.

There's still hope, everybody. Sakurai may just be waiting for the right time.
I don't know any more. It's so confusing and it's sad to not have a direct this week as I start colllege on next week. Deconfirmed for tomorrow and very unlikely to be Friday. I'm not sure what right time means for him, but just end this tease with a BOOM.

WHAAAAT?!? I was so busy reading the dumb fake roster post that I didn't even see this. Kind of wish it was from N64, but I'll still gladly take it. Sure, this image might mean nothing for him, but it personally means a lot to me, since it seems like we aren't getting recognition for PM64 or SPM yet. Oh, and I can't wait for your new, huge, upcoming essay, @ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 Here's hoping.
Like I just said, it's not even clear what games is repped. TTYD having a section is, again screwing over anything. Like I don't know what is consistent any more because of that name. Is it own entity? Is it 4 games in one? I can't seem to think that TTYD is "out of there" just for the lols. There's stuff we don't know that is even more confusing.

So, I guess everything is possible for pm64 and spm. I would like spm though because I just seem to like cubic design.

He is fast and strong, but he is very light (duh).
Specials

Custom 1:
Custom 2:

Custom 1 (Dizzy Shell):
Custom 2 (Shell Toss):
Paper Mario uses the Shell sticker to kick it forward exactly like Koops, but without as much startup and the Shell moves faster than Kooper. (7%)

Custom 1:
Custom 2:
Custom 2 (Super Jump):
Paper Mario uses his Super Jump from TTYD/Paper Luigi's Super Jump from Super Paper Mario. He charges it up briefly before leaping very high, but not that far horizontally. Mario crashes straight down until hitting a ledge, a platform, or solid ground. (14%)

Final Smash (Stampede):
Smashes
Forward Smash:
(16-22%)
(15%-21%)
(14%-20%)
Tilts and Jab Combo
(10%)
(8%)
Up Tilt:
Fleep appears above Paper Mario and twirls like he does when flipping objects (9%)
Aerials
Neutral Aerial:
Forward Aerial:
Back Aerial:
Down Aerial:
Up Aerial:
Grab
Throws
(8%)
Miscellaneous

Dash:

I love movesets!!!

It's the first that has every move including customisation. I like images as description even tough I can visualise in my head :)

Going to review it later, but it's clearly OP material since it looks to have versatility in mind from fast read.

Btw, thanks for the follow :)

@ Skyblade12 Skyblade12 That's the thing I tough at first and then I wonder that if TTYD wasn't there, that is what I would call hurting his chances.

Ok, like I just think that to have the intent of repping TTYD, mention it while the sticker star part wasn't mentioned and is the same stage, it would just "feel weird" to not go into console.

Remove TTYD and I don't even consider console stage because it could be 3ds only rep which would make sense to not be enough to incude him for one game repping out of 4.

I guess we have completely opposite perspective, but what is so confusing is the name.

It could mean so much stuff that it kinda feels awkward. It's not even the first game and if it was sticker star as the name in question, TTYD is out of there. If it's whole series, then I should see at least one section per game right? There's 2 sticker star section, that's a majority so far.

I really don't understand and I found that to have so much question and so few answers is fishy.

It even could. I really don't know why it's so confusing for a tease. And I tough it wasn't likely before.

I still think that TTYD here is weird without having more TTYD rep which I think would be on WiiU. The thing is, the main tease would stand, but that name is really weird. It could mean own series, but I don't know what is likely and that's why I need to think.

Which would be awesome. Though I do wonder why, since they have several different ideas for stages, they just crammed them into one stage instead of separating them into multiples.
Ah that's why I tough it wasn't likely. So I agree, but I just want to know:

If it's true that it's 2 or more stages, do you think one on WiiU would be likely?

Because I don't know, but 2 stages for 2 versions would help him quite a lot.

I feel like we acknowledged the same circumstances, but in different perspective which seems to be interesting for a debate (let's be honest, I was looking for one).

Snipe

Smash Cadet

The way the stage is named "Paper Mario" kind of reminds me of Toon Link's supposed disconfirmation when he is shown as the train conductor/NPC in the Wind Waker Spirit Track stage. However, it is revealed that Toon Link only becomes the NPC if no one plays as him on that stage.

Leave it to Alfonzo to be disconfirmed. "Leave it to me!"

Also, Little Mac's stage looked a lot different before his confirmation. Before, it had the smash bros logo on the middle of the boxing ring to make Little Mac appearance less obvious, but because of his confirmation, Sakurai changed its appearance to suit him better, rather than it being a normal stage like final destination or battlefield.

Notice how Little Mac isn't in the picture below? This means his appearance on the stage does not really change the background in comparison to Toon Link, so it was a last minute change to the stage to fit Little Mac.

So, what I'm saying is that because the name of Paper Mario's stage is... Well, "Paper Mario", this may yet be another showcase of Sakurai creating uncertainty amongst people on a character's appearance (in this case Paper Mario). Yep, I got my eyes on you Mashpotato Samurai. Got my eyes on you LIKE A HAWK (shaddup. I know it's an eagle.)!

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Ah that's why I tough it wasn't likely. So I agree, but I just want to know:

If it's true that it's 2 or more stages, do you think one on WiiU would be likely?

Because I don't know, but 2 stages for 2 versions would help him quite a lot.

I feel like we acknowledged the same circumstances, but in different perspective which seems to be interesting for a debate (let's be honest, I was looking for one).
If there IS a second Paper Mario stage, it's going to be on the Wii U. Honestly, I'm not sure why this one wasn't. So much of the series was on the consoles, and they were pushing a "console stages on Wii U".

My guess is that, with Stick Star as a 3DS game, they pushed a Sticker Star stage, and included the other bits as a way to rep more Paper Mario into the game.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
If there IS a second Paper Mario stage, it's going to be on the Wii U. Honestly, I'm not sure why this one wasn't. So much of the series was on the consoles, and they were pushing a "console stages on Wii U".

My guess is that, with Stick Star as a 3DS game, they pushed a Sticker Star stage, and included the other bits as a way to rep more Paper Mario into the game.
Yep I now understand your perspective now.

Ok, there's only one thing that I might have to disagree, but if it was a sticker star stage, what TTYD do here? It would rep something that isn't specifically related to sticker star which just seems weird. If it is a generic stage, in what sense? All 4 games? Diverse with more of sticker star?

Because if it's all 4, why on 3ds then? If it's mostly sticker star with diversity in the games, again, why this would be considered a minority?

I feel it's subjective perception now. I'm tempted to assume that Sakurai is aware of the games popularity while nothing said that. I think it's likely because of the potd captions not mentioning sticker and yes for TTYD which is the most popular.

I don't know, but I think I'm tracing a path with the most likely while you would look at all path in general. Because then, everything is possible.

EDIT:

Even if he's not playable I would at least like a Cameo.
If he's not playable, I hope for at least a music...wait we got a stage and 2 of them.

But playable confirms a trophy. Not playable still means a likely trophy because since ssbm he was a trophy. btw, ssbm trophy acknowledged the uniqueness in design and I don't know if it's Sakurai sharing his love, but anyway. I love the description.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I'm thinking that a Sticker Star stage was asked for.

The stage developers couldn't decide which aspect of Sticker Star to go with for just one stage. So they made it a changing stage. One of the stage designer was a fan of older Paper Mario games and was like "hey, can we fit the Flavio on here?". It got pushed through, and the stage became a Paper Mario stage, rather than a sticker star stage.

Also note, we've seen two variations on Sticker Star, and only one for Thousand Year Door. So it may still have a lot more Stick Star rep than other games in the series.

That's why it's a 3DS stage, because it was introduced as a stage to represent a 3DS title, and was fleshed out from there.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I'm thinking that a Sticker Star stage was asked for.

The stage developers couldn't decide which aspect of Sticker Star to go with for just one stage. So they made it a changing stage. One of the stage designer was a fan of older Paper Mario games and was like "hey, can we fit the Flavio on here?". It got pushed through, and the stage became a Paper Mario stage, rather than a sticker star stage.

Also note, we've seen two variations on Sticker Star, and only one for Thousand Year Door. So it may still have a lot more Stick Star rep than other games in the series.

That's why it's a 3DS stage, because it was introduced as a stage to represent a 3DS title, and was fleshed out from there.
The first paragraph is indeed looking at every possibilities...

Anyway, So, let's say other games repping ends there, it would mean that for only that TTYD section in the intent of repping sticker star, it would get a name change that may imply all 4 games or something along the 50 others thing (that name is so awkward).

Ok, so let's assume it's one section for first 3 and 5 for SS. SS is a majority and so, the name would be appropriate.

Does that feel ok to all dump this into 3ds is really what makes me doubt. Because, I seems to found weird how for a stage mostly repping sticker star, no official source mentioned the game so far. It might means nothing, but considering that smash is using advertisement, I would expect to mention it. Here, a 2004 game was mentioned while not the latest game currently on eshop for download.

Like they use the site to link to other game site, it's obvious.

I actually just tough about this so just want to know if it makes sense because it's rare to have arguments like these as I type (but it's good for opinion accuracy).

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
I think the new stage raises Paer Mario chances, because it could mean that we will get another paper mario stage in the wii u, the wii u version would be based on the original and Super

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I think the new stage raises Paer Mario chances, because it could mean that we will get another paper mario stage in the wii u, the wii u version would be based on the original and Super
I'm actually talking about this. That was my theory, but the name is still confusing.

I just came up with something I'm not sure, but if it was mostly to rep sticker star and TTYD being just an out of there reference which can explains the name, I expect at least a mention of sticker star for advertising that game right?

Not sure if I'm doing this right, but smash does seem to use advertising a lot.

Top Bottom