• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Thinner character, bigger appeal!" Paper Mario for SSB4; Thread migration soon!

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
My reaction when seeing the stage at first. "Pssh another grassy stage for Mario? So much variety and opportunity and yet Sakurai alwa.. Table-flipping Jesus that's from Paper but why the crappy one tho... Mario!!"​

Now that I've calmed down and can speak coherently.. This bodes fantastically for our paper plumber, a lot of stages were revelad before the newcomer and this ups his chances by a lot. Tomorrow I'll be posting a short analysis on the matter in the thread if aldelaro5 doesn't beat me to it. Rejoice my friends, today is a good day.
you will beat me. I don't know when I could speculate, but it will happen enventually in the day or tomorrow maybe but not now.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Mario & Luigi >>> Paper Mario

New stage really annoys me since it should have been something from Mario & Luigi on 3DS, Hopefully we get one on Wii U instead (Superstar Saga is on Wii U virtual console).

SolarKirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolarKirby
I'm sorry if I'm posting so much but I CAN'T CONTAIN THE HYPE OMG PAPER MARIO FINALLY YESSS SAFJDSAJFDSAJFSDAJF.

Sorry. I won't do that ever again. unless ridley gets confirmed.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I'm sorry if I'm posting so much but I CAN'T CONTAIN THE HYPE OMG PAPER MARIO FINALLY YESSS SAFJDSAJFDSAJFSDAJF.

Sorry. I won't do that ever again. unless ridley gets confirmed.
Well, at least say something to put tons of spam in spoiler. lol I may do that if he's confirmed.

But seriously, listen to the title theme of TTYD. Best hype music ever.

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
you will beat me. I don't know when I could speculate, but it will happen enventually in the day or tomorrow maybe but not now.
Considering how much time you take writing your speculations, I could post it next week and still beat you to it.:joyful:
On the real tho? What a great PotD man, I could have nothing but filler all week and still be satisfied.

Staarih

Smash Master
I see some people say that Paper Mario might just get a 3DS stage, but with it being a combination if Sticker Star and TTYD of all things (the latter being a home console game), I think it can mix-match on the Wii U as well, and it definitely needs Paper Mario representation as well. As for Paper Mario's shots as a newcomer, this definitely makes it more likely. Having a stage on both consoles would help it tremendously. The fact that we did see a 3DS version first is actually a good thing: they can save the Wii U Paper Mario stage for Paper Mario's reveal trailer, they hardly ever (never?) show 3DS content in those anyway haha!

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
oh btw, I have to do this but...

@ Rockaphin Rockaphin I know you weren't there live but take this tags as a thanks for proof reading the OP.

Ok, now I'll try to summarise what this could mean but remember that it;s far from accurate speculation:

• The Paper Mario series is confirmed to have more rep than brawl
  • A traveling stage that not only rep sticker star but also TTYD is as of now the best rep we have now
  • It cleared my last and biggest worries I had with the game
  • In that regard, expect other mind blown like this for other series. I;m confident that brawl repping got fixed and it's just above imagination now.
  • it doesn't obsolete the theatre as it has another purpose with also the fact that it would be a WiiU stage. Though, TTYD rep got confirmed anyway.
  • music is pretty much 99% confirmed now.
  • more throphies is really maybe 95% confirmed.
  • the date may have been because exactly a week after ttyd anniversary
  • no matter how I see it, it does help him playabe heavily now. So far you have to realise that the only stages that wasn't for repping a series (hanenvrew and pictochat) had at least one playable character that is realated. Brawl had smashville but it was for planned contents. What this means is that now, I'm confident he;s either hiding the big reveal or that he was considered. If it;s the latter, I will love forever Sakurai anyway.
  • me getting over my emotions. That is the only thing in this post I'm 100% sure. It;s just too much.
This is temprarily and it will likely changes after I calmed down but for now, you could use this as a basis.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Holy crap, this stage looks awesome. I don't care if it's based on Sticker Star, the fact that it has a reference to TTYD is enough to make up for it.

Honestly, when I first saw the pic, the music that first came to mind was this:

Last edited:

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
oh btw, I have to do this but...

@ Rockaphin Rockaphin I know you weren't there live but take this tags as a thanks for proof reading the OP.

Ok, now I'll try to summarise what this could mean but remember that it;s far from accurate speculation:

• The Paper Mario series is confirmed to have more rep than brawl
  • A traveling stage that not only rep sticker star but also TTYD is as of now the best rep we have now
  • It cleared my last and biggest worries I had with the game
  • In that regard, expect other mind blown like this for other series. I;m confident that brawl repping got fixed and it's just above imagination now.
  • it doesn't obsolete the theatre as it has another purpose with also the fact that it would be a WiiU stage. Though, TTYD rep got confirmed anyway.
  • music is pretty much 99% confirmed now.
  • more throphies is really maybe 95% confirmed.
  • the date may have been because exactly a week after ttyd anniversary
  • no matter how I see it, it does help him playabe heavily now. So far you have to realise that the only stages that wasn't for repping a series (hanenvrew and pictochat) had at least one playable character that is realated. Brawl had smashville but it was for planned contents. What this means is that now, I'm confident he;s either hiding the big reveal or that he was considered. If it;s the latter, I will love forever Sakurai anyway.
  • me getting over my emotions. That is the only thing in this post I'm 100% sure. It;s just too much.
This is temprarily and it will likely changes after I calmed down but for now, you could use this as a basis.
Amen!

And to think that I was going to sleep in early today 0_0 I'm so happy I didn't! Thank God I didn't miss this update! It was so important to us Paper Mario fans and Sakurai delivered.

In Sakurai's own words: "We also had some player expectations we had to fulfill :) "

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Amen!

And to think that I was going to sleep in early today 0_0 I'm so happy I didn't! Thank God I didn't miss this update! It was so important to us Paper Mario fans and Sakurai delivered.

In Sakurai's own words: "We also had some player expectations we had to fulfill :) "
Watch him doing more now. Because that's literally what I think is now totally legit to expect now.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Holy crap, this stage looks awesome. I don't care if it's based on Sticker Star, the fact that it has a reference to TTYD is enough to make up for it.

Add this track to the OP plox @ aldelaro5 aldelaro5

I've also been seeing some people on the smash reddit referring to Flavio as "Based Flavio"
Can...can this be a thing for us?

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Add this track to the OP plox @ aldelaro5 aldelaro5

I've also been seeing some people on the smash reddit referring to Flavio as "Based Flavio"
Can...can this be a thing for us?
I think I know what it is and if it's the case, it was unexpected.

There's a glitch in TTYD discovered by almolicious, speedrunner and current world record holder for that game. It was a total fluke when he did that by accident while doing a 100% run for fun. Basically, flavio follows you everywhere. Some hundreds viewers so I guess it could have spread a little.

But I didn't think this to be known on reddit.

btw, can you tell me what music it is? I can't use my computer sounds and I don't have my headphones.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Hey Paper Mario supporters, the Rate the Characters Thread is featuring Paper Mario today. Show your support, let your voices be heard! :b:

It will be cool if PM makes it but todays pic of the day IMO is going against him quite a bit since his name was dropped.
Possibly, but I think when he said "Paper Mario", I think he was referring to the series itself rather than the character. But who knows, I actually think this helps his chances.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
It will be cool if PM makes it but todays pic of the day IMO is going against him quite a bit since his name was dropped.
One word: Palutena.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
One word: Palutena.
He never said palutena though.. he has never mentioned a newcomer by name before they were revealed.

Possibly, but I think when he said "Paper Mario", I think he was referring to the series itself rather than the character. But who knows, I actually think this helps his chances.
I was thinking that this could be a possibility as well.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Update the Thread title with S. S. Flavion. NAO.

This PoTD was complete hype overload. :colorful:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Update the Thread title with S. S. Flavion. NAO.

This PoTD was complete hype overload. :colorful:
At first I thought it was the NSMB stage, but then I noticed that fan. . . My heart stopped for a little bit. :laugh:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Ok so I updated the name of the stage several minutes ago and updated the supporter list (considering putting it in spoiler because it will skyrocket).

And I just updated the tittle (btw, it's been probably months without getting a mod post here).

So, I checked one thing I can confirm: I checked the model of the blooper from TTYD with a model viewer and the one in the stage is exactly like him. So, it;s not just the ship but the blooper that rep TTYD.

As for alerts count, 181 in 3 hours and it's still going up. I don't think it happened for a lot of people but getting repeatedly message of you have xx alert literally 5 times per pages is just amazing. One of them even said 25.

But now, this is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO appropriate:

But this time, hope is real and we got what we wanted at the very least so I'm ok if he's not in. I'm just happy to see stage and probably music. It's too much for my heart :)

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473

Ah the memories... I loved the OST from that game.

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
I'm thinking that the fact he specifically said the first "Paper Mario" stage and not a Mario stage from the Paper Mario series or something to that affect is somewhat important as this implies it might be his own series.

Just as we'd always hoped!

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I'm thinking that the fact he specifically said the first "Paper Mario" stage and not a Mario stage from the Paper Mario series or something to that affect is somewhat important as this implies it might be his own series.

Just as we'd always hoped!
I really need to wait to explain what I will write tomorrow but so far, it's going to be a full essay for his chances. And I already got evidences but I need to calm down a little to think carefully.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
When they showed G&W alongside Pac-Man in his reveal trailer, my first thought was "oh God they're confirming G&W!" but then there was no character profile on the site. I don't want to think that G&W is being removed because I love using him, but what if he is being ousted in favor of Paper Mario so that the 2-D character niche can be filled by another more popular character?

I honestly will hate Paper Mario if he replaces G&W... but it's a gut feeling lol.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
When they showed G&W alongside Pac-Man in his reveal trailer, my first thought was "oh God they're confirming G&W!" but then there was no character profile on the site. I don't want to think that G&W is being removed because I love using him, but what if he is being ousted in favor of Paper Mario so that the 2-D character niche can be filled by another more popular character?

I honestly will hate Paper Mario if he replaces G&W... but it's a gut feeling lol.
Don't worry tough he's safe (and I really want him because he's my main FOR NOW).

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I will not ever be unhyped from this PotD.

I don't even care what the rest of the week holds (though it's looking to be a pretty amazing week!).
Today was enough to get my hype through the roof.

YoshiSonic

Smash Ace
Toon Link, eat your heart out.

Paper Mario folding through to show the spin-offs how it's done. Smash style.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Well that PoTD was a nice pleasant surprise to wake up to, and it's nice to wake up and be checking the site again like I did prior to Brawl's release too, where as before recently I had just been getting the big news as I came. The stage looks cool and reminds me that I really do have to pick up the 3DS version just because of how many awesome stages that version already has and new Smash as soon as possible.

As for Paper Mario, honestly I don't really care either way, I'd love to see him in as he does have some great potential which I agree with completely, but he's never been someone who I desperately wanted in the series either, especially if we're getting down to the last few newcomers for this entry I'd much rather see some other characters first. That said his reveal would of course be a pleasant surprise if it was to happen regardless of my bias towards other characters!

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
I'm so sad that I won't get to play this stage because it's on 3ds :( But while this stage looks awesome, I feel like this doesn't really affect Paper Mario's chances. Having a stage is a boost, but it takes parts from the console Paper Mario games as well. Plus, I don't trust sakurai after the Takamaru deconfirmation...

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
If Paper Mario actually gets in, my guess is he'll be revealed in a trailer with GaW.

Shog

Smash Ace
Not the biggest supporter here, but damn, teh stage is amazing. And note: I have nothing against P.Mario in the game. I love every character addition so far except Palutena and Mii Fighter.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Wow, I really hope this means something in regards for Paper Mario.

What makes me confident in Paper Mario right now is the fact that there are two Paper Mario games represented in the new stage thus far. It's like it's representing the entire series, rather than just Sticker Star.

Also, Paper Mario kinda fits perfectly with what Sakurai has been going for with newcomers.
He has the potential to be so unique and fun, plus Sticker Star keeps him relevant and on Sakurai's radar.

I love Paper Mario, and I really hope that he makes it in. One if my favorite characters for Smash; I'd given up hope for a while, but it's coming back for sure! I just hope that Paper Mario and Chorus Kids aren't in any direct competition with each other. :crazy:

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
Just had a thought. I'm assuming Sakurai decided on the roster and stages some time ago, presumably that means he could have put Paper Mario in in anticipation of the success of Sticker Star (which I realise didn't happen and it is widely regarded as the weakest Paper Mario game). I dunno, maybe I'm wrong, but hopefully I'm right :D.

Only problem is, this iteration may take more from SS than anything else, which would be a shame for some.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I personally think that there will be quite a bit of Sticker Star if Paper Mario joins the fray.

Which really I don't have a problem with.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Wow, I really hope this means something in regards for Paper Mario.

What makes me confident in Paper Mario right now is the fact that there are two Paper Mario games represented in the new stage thus far. It's like it's representing the entire series, rather than just Sticker Star.
Which means that there isn't a separate stage for Wii U and 3DS, they're all crammed onto one stage. Which means it's likely that it's a one-off, not a character indicator.

Also, Paper Mario kinda fits perfectly with what Sakurai has been going for with newcomers.
He has the potential to be so unique and fun, plus Sticker Star keeps him relevant and on Sakurai's radar.
I won't deny this. But man, I really haven't enjoyed the Paper Mario games since Thousand Year Door.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I actually have no clue what this means for Paper Mario's chances. If this was the Brawl days we'd all be like "Paper Mario disconfirmed!" but you know, things are a bit different this time around!

Great to see the Paper Mario series get some representation in stage form. A little disappointed that it's on the 3DS, though. I say that only because it appears to be representing the series, not just Sticker Star. Which means even though the stage may represent each game (presumably, maybe not) we'll only get two songs.

Maybe that's minor, but I wanted to see more Paper Mario music. =(

I especially want Paper Mario 64 representation. TTYD was an amazing sequel, but the original just has a special place in my heart. I loved that game so much. If this stage has a phase where it goes on Peach's Castle in the sky I would die. lol

Last edited:

Pureownege75

Smash Journeyman
I'm amazed to see how much people hate Sticker Star. I think it is a great game... Can't help but Wonder why you guys dislike it?
But really, an ABOMINATION?
Not only did it strip alot of traditional elements, it just flat out has bad game design. Think about it. You fight enemies with weapons to get money. Money is spent on weapons, weapons are used on enemies. Without EXP, battles literally become pointless. Not to mention awful story and lack of original characters.

Really hoping he gets in, but someone had a good point of how a travelings stage hurts his chances, as you'd think we'd get a home console stage with him if he was playable. I'm not ruling out the possibility of something like the battle stage from TTYD though.

Also hoping we get some Mario and Luigi music in this stage. Those games have some killer soundtracks

Last edited:
Top Bottom